Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that is one long movie...

Bayonetta is a badass in this and I'm not surprised. She is apparently a witch that reappeared again after all these years. The plot seems to follow her trials and whatnot. Action was decent on most parts although feels a bit forced imo. I haven't played the games yet though1 hour and 30 minutes , damn. Music was also epic for the ears but the fan service was more than I had thought.

Mm, I have mixed feelings on this but the ending is badass along with the main theme song.

Stark700Feb 18, 2014 3:03 PM
Feb 18, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
I am a big fan of the Bayonetta game, since I've finished it around 4-5 times on my PS3 and unlocked almost every concept art, collectible etc. But this adaptation felt rushed. I think it would be better if this was properly adapted into a 12 episode TV series, preferably by Madhouse, since they did the Devil May Cry anime and both Devil May Cry and Bayonetta games have been developped by the same creator.

So, I guess this movie was aimed toward those who have already played the game and that's what I would suggest doing first. If you watched the movie first and you liked it, you'll probably love the game

4 things that were in the game and I wanted to see in the movie:
Feb 18, 2014 8:49 PM

Jan 2008
Young Cereza was adorable. Hearing her say "Mummy!" made me squee.

I quite liked this movie. Although I think even an OVA movie mini-series like Hellsing Ultimate might have been more filling, rather than deliciously appetizing this movie was, because I want moar! I hope they make something just as good, if not better, for the sequel game as well. Speaking of which, I hope they port it to another console like PSVita or PC besides being a F***ing Wii U exclusive.
Feb 18, 2014 9:21 PM

Jun 2011
I have this game on my PS3 but I have yet to play it. However, this movie does NOT increase my interest for the game.

The big problem with the movie is that it does not feel like a story. It does not give the audience a clear direction where the plot is going. No climax, no theme. It is hard to get attach to the character in such situation. Overall, it just feels like a mess.

The entire movie is fill with battles, but they feel somewhat underwhelming. They are just not flashy. There is no blood. Most angels get one hit. Bayinetta is invincible basically. Well, at least it doesn't abuse stills.
Feb 19, 2014 4:17 AM

Sep 2009
Excepting deep plot from the action movie based on action game is quite stupid, don't you think. It was a good movie IMHO. And much-much better adaptation than Devil May Cry
Feb 19, 2014 12:02 PM
Oct 2012
I definitely felt like this could've been better. The story was a mess in the original game and was never going to translate well to a non-interactive medium with time restrictions. The plot holes are obvious and it's very difficult to get attached to characters when there doesn't seem to be any pacing to their growth. It's got a few great moments (I quite liked the small scene at the hotel) but ultimately it's weak and very disappointing.
Ultimately, this film was always going to be carried by the quality of its action, and that's what really ruins it for me. The cameos by the random video game enemies (such as Fortitude and Temperance) and quick references to memorable sequences (such as the highway fight) felt like arbitrary fanservice, and as a result very little time is dedicated to action that genuinely impacts the story. The final battle is very disappointing; as portrayed in the video game, an animated version of that fight could've lasted about half-an-hour and still been awesome.
So yeah, as a whole the film fails to engage, but it does have a few decent moments that redeem it.
Feb 19, 2014 2:36 PM

Mar 2010
This is the first thing I've actually liked from GONZO in the past 7 years lol. From a technical standpoint, they haven't done anything with art this detailed since Afro Samurai. The problem for me with most video game adaptations is that they spend too much time on the story when it doesn't have that great of a story to begin with. This, on the other hand, just gives me the bare bones story and lets the style over substance work its magic. Wakamoto doing what he does best is also a plus. 7/10
Feb 20, 2014 6:57 AM

Jul 2013
I thought this move was terrible honestly, the action and animation were pretty standard/generic. Not a ton of fanservice either and no I don't mean her being half naked or the shower scene. I'm talking about no Fly me to the Moon, no Joy, no Gracious and Glorious, no throwing Jubileus into the sun, and so on. There was no charm at all compared to what the game had.

I will say that it did a better job of presenting the basic plot than the game did, but 1. who watches this for the story 2. it still barely made sense and wasn't fleshed out well since it's only 90 minutes.

Also not sure why they changed Balder to a generically evil asshole instead of being the affably evil smug bastard he was in the games, but Wakamoto was cool I guess.
Feb 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
I was wondering if I can watch this as a standalone film without knowledge of the games.

Would this be okay or would this be a bad idea?
Feb 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Jul 2013
nice milf battles

StevenHu said:
I was wondering if I can watch this as a standalone film without knowledge of the games.

Would this be okay or would this be a bad idea?

The story is pretty bad, anyway.
You are just going to watch this for action scenes, so prior knowledge is not required.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2014 3:37 PM

Aug 2013
_ultima_ said:

The story is pretty bad, anyway.
You are just going to watch this for action scenes, so prior knowledge is not required.

Ah, alright then. Thanks!
Feb 21, 2014 4:19 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

I can appreciate this film 100%, not having played the game, but at the level of technical and graphics, Gonzo did a good job.
The character design reminds me of the reworkings of American comics by Mahouse, cute.
Bare-bones plot, is not exploited or extended with reflexive moments to make it even appreciate this component in the film. Narration fast and only the barrel, but the ones on the occasion of the clash between Janne and Bayonetta are a bit repetitive, they are not exciting.
Final score of 8/10!
Feb 21, 2014 9:52 PM
Feb 2014
good movie, the voice of "Rosa" is Sawashiro Miyuki
Feb 22, 2014 10:41 AM
Mar 2012
I enjoyed the action scenes but the plot was very rushed. I felt it didn't do any good justice to the game, it should've been made into a multiple episode OVA series
Feb 22, 2014 5:28 PM

Jan 2011
the only things it lacked was fly me to the moon an Shiva punching Jubileus to the sun, other than that this movie was good
7.5/10

gonna get the sequel on WiiU
silversaintFeb 22, 2014 5:57 PM
Feb 24, 2014 11:24 AM
Jun 2013
Great movie. Awesome fluid action and straight forward story, befitting Bayonetta. And i think it's got lots of fanservice. It sucks that nipples are never shown, but lots of glorious crotchshots. Minimal melodrama is such a huge plus.
Feb 24, 2014 6:00 PM

Apr 2012
Shih said:
I have this game on my PS3 but I have yet to play it. However, this movie does NOT increase my interest for the game.

Hack n' Slash beat em up games rarely had any good stories. The only ones that i can think of at the top of my head are Heavenly Sword and Lords of Shadow. If you have watched this solely for the animation and the action scenes probably for the fanservice then you might have enjoyed the movie more :D

Also, Bayonetta was critically acclaimed because of it's combat and fanservice not the story.
Feb 27, 2014 8:02 AM
Dec 2010
is this about the movie ?
i am halfway through it
i noticed the OST when she fight the flaying snake thing
its like from another game, maybe from a SEGA game
does anyone know it ?
Feb 28, 2014 2:49 AM
Dec 2013
After Burner.
Mar 1, 2014 7:43 AM

May 2011
I like everything about Balder, not so much for all the rest. xD; But it was some fun action and some of it looked nice. I kept looking at the scale of things and thinking things were off though I really shouldn't let it better me consider lol, when has anime ever been proportionate?
Mar 1, 2014 3:30 PM

Oct 2009
It was an OK movie, only a 6/10 from me.
Lolinetta was pretty cute though.
Mar 9, 2014 6:27 PM
Feb 2007
I would totally dig Miyuki-chin voicing Bayonetta here. Her voice would have been perfect since she has this sultry tone (like Fujiko in Lupin III) but I guess she did well voicing Cereza too. Her 'Mummy' is HNNNNG, totally adorable DDDD:
Mar 15, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2012
As epic and entertaining as the videogame, i liked it.

7/10
Mar 18, 2014 3:40 AM

May 2009
This is much better than Kekkou Kamen...I kid you not.

I haven't played the game and the only prior knowledge I have of Bayonetta comes from that YT video where she dances her sexy ass off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwcQWmHraBs.

I'm not disappointed at all. This movie had so much action involving guns, swords and a horse. What more can I ask of a movie with a horse?
Mar 18, 2014 3:52 AM

Feb 2014
I liked it, I was expecting a lot of Fly Me To The Moon though as I could listen to that song all day. I also wanted to see more of Rodin (people who've played the game will know why), some of the more interesting Angels and Witch Time. Overall it's a pretty enjoyable 90mins, could be better but it' not bad by any stretch of the imagination (for what it is).
Mar 23, 2014 7:05 AM

Apr 2009
Interesting things here...demonized angels, magitek, megane shoujo power, also hair...demon hairs or is it hair demons? LOL Ok maybe it's witch hairs, tons of it! And of course, ankle-guns! XD Another interesting note that piqued my interest is that Bayonetta's knight gun names, Elfin Knight and Scarborough Fair are folk ballads about performing impossible tasks. O_o

I prefer Jeanne's former look, I thought it was quite classy. Anyway, in the end, it seems Jeanne is disguised as a high school teacher and Bayonetta, a nun, cliche much? >_< Ah well...

TsukikageRan said:
What more can I ask of a movie with a horse?

I haven't played the game so I thought what the hell is that humongous wooden horse for? It turns out...

The art was good, reminded me so much of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the animation was OK, the plot was just average IMHO. Still I was entertained for at least an hour and a half, so 6/10.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 8, 2014 12:34 PM

May 2012
I enjoyed this even though I never played the game. 7/10
May 10, 2014 2:03 PM

Sep 2008
Being a big fan of the game, I really liked this. The animation looks great imo and the battles are cool. I would have liked more songs from the game though. The game has a spectacular soundtrack. I can understand why Fly Me to The Moon isn't in the movie since it's a licensed song and they probably couldn't get it licensed for the movie...or something. 7/10
Oct 23, 2014 7:55 PM

Oct 2007
It was decent, I'm not a big fan of Gonzo since their action scenes come up kind of stale, but this one surprised with me some of them.

The animation and characters look great, but I think had my hopes too high on some of the fights seeing how the actual game is a rush to play and watch.

All in all it wasn't bad, I'd just recommend to people interested to play the game first to get the full enjoyment.
Oct 27, 2014 12:30 AM

Jul 2008
Basically this is retelling the story of the first game, yeah some parts were edited or cut but overall its faithful to the source. I really enjoyed the movie especially after playing the games. Hope more are made.

I get the criticism about the action, but the game is so insanely fast paced its too fast for a series or a movie.

7/10
Nov 2, 2014 8:08 PM

Jul 2013
never played the game (but i will one day once i have the money) but i did enjoyed the movie. it was great in my opinion.
Dec 3, 2014 7:10 AM

Apr 2012
felt rather rushed n no joy :(
Apr 23, 2015 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
I had just finished the game, and watched this movie a few hours afterwards. It was okay. Even if I hadn't played the game, I would have watched it eventually bc I like crazy ridiculous things like this. If I had watched this first, I would have definitely still wanted to play the game.

The good: It made a few more of the game's plot points (using the term loosely) more obvious, mainly why Jeanne chose to fight Bayonetta pre-witch hunts. Also, it showed Bayonetta's mom, whom I mistook for Bayonetta herself in the games. They added a scene where Cereza and Bayonetta take a bath together, and though it may have been included merely for fanservice, I thought it was really cute. (Bayonetta blows soap suds at Cereza.)

The bad: It was kind of talky, because it was trying to make Bayonetta's thin plot make sense. If you're playing the game, chances are you want to press a lot of buttons and see a stripper witch punch angels in the face. And, for some reason, "Fly Me to the Moon" wasn't in it. I had to listen to that song over 20 times when I was watching NGE, and hated it, but I finally grew to like it thanks to Bayonetta, and it didn't even make it into the anime.
Aug 20, 2015 10:39 AM

Jul 2009
I too finished the game 2 weeks before watching the movie.

First off the animation is good, but there are some weird instances like Luka's head being so small compared to his body, Bayonetta's body being too bend etc.

I love how they used Katana in one of the scenes. I don't remember her guns being broken like that, but i guess they wanted to show how you "upgrade" them :P

I also do not like the sound of the gun. It sounds so soft and not loud thus losing the punching power the games have. i'm a little disappointed that the movie lack some great combo's like in the game. They made Bayonetta do little work and just instantly kill those Angels. Speaking of Angels they added voice to them. And watching this in English, it's probably not a good idea to give them voices. Should have added those unknown sounds like in the game and add some subtitles on it.

They followed the game's story faithfully, but changed quite a few things and cut some old ones.

The story now takes place in the church first instead of the cemetery which i think is better since seeing Bayonetta as a nun is just sexy as hell!! Rodin and Enzo no longer appears first, but instead its all in Luka. Enzo only appears in Rodin's bar. He's supposed to drive Bayonetta around, but it seems they made it Luka's job instead.

They also change the first fight with Jeanne, taking place in the train on the way to Vigrid instead of in the past instead. They also removed the 2nd fight scene on top of the plane, which i think was one of the best battles in the game :(

I do not remember Luka being called an Old Man in the game, but i'm guessing Cereza might have called him when she gave him her eyeglasses. Added in some shower sexy scene as well(that thong though!). Cereza's scenes were intact, but i remember her being absorbed by Balder in the game instead of traveling back to the past. Bayonetta even acknowledge that Cereza was her which the game tried to make it more subtle.

They also changed Luka's child voiced to just his older voice(he had a different voice actor) I think Cereza's child voice is different as well. I do know Balder definitely sounds different compared to the game.

One thing i love with the new scenes is finall battle with Jeanne and Bayonetta teaming up together to summon Shiva and fight Jubileus. In the game only Bayonetta faced Jubileus alone. They also added some more character to Balder and did a better job what relationship he has to Bayonetta. She never called him father in the game and i think the Anime did it better illustrating the fact that he is Bayonetta's father(didn't really read much about the journal). Even added more scenes in the past and showing Bayonetta crying as Rosa dies in her hands. She even specifically says to save him. Which Bayonetta adds more dialogue compared to the game.

Even added a new final finish with Jubileus sitting down that horse thingy XD

Finally the final scene she just disappears with Jeanne. It should have take place in the cemetery like the first scene in the game. With everyone visiting her grave including Luka.

The biggest disappointment was the music. I do not know why they didn't just use the game's OST?? The OST is already blissful as it is why remove it? I know they kept Bayonetta's theme and the Afterburner remix and the used One of a kind as the final boss theme(The scene where Bayonetta is falling in the game). No music during clmax mode which is a huge disappointment since i was looking forward to hear it in the anime.

Overall the movie was good, but if they added more fight scenes, more combo's it would have been better. I think it should have been a 13 episode series. Would have been better tbh.

Gonzo is also good in the animation, but i prefer Madhouse doing it. Would have given as Hellsing Ultimate like Animation with Bayonetta combos!!!

I give the movie 7 or 8/10.

Gonna play Bayonetta 2 soon!!

I do hope for a Bayonetta 2 Anime Adaptation someday with Madhouse handling it this time around! ^__^
Nov 29, 2015 9:31 AM

Jan 2012
SurferDude said:
It was an OK movie, only a 6/10 from me.
Lolinetta was pretty cute though.

same thought here no more than 6/10 and it was rather rushed
well this is a game adaptation so not surprised .

Jun 25, 2016 4:14 AM

Mar 2016
I actually enjoyed the movie a lot,Bayonetta was badass and sexy the whole movie (as expected).
I also liked young Bayonetta, shes was really cute.

Oct 25, 2016 5:17 PM

Dec 2009
Copy-Paste of 2014.

I've played the demo version of the game on xbox 360 so I was instantly interested in watching the anime adaption, especially because the character and story was rather intriguing. Plus she's fucking hot.

... Back Story of Bayonetta in the beginning.
A journalist Luka played by Yuri is photographing in a church, when Bayonetta appears to fight demons. I love how they kept the original soundtrack from the game. Luka's mission is to expose Bayonetta, because he believes she's the one who killed his father. --A cult of believers are hoping that Bayonetta will unleash the legendary right eye to complete with the left one she has to become a god.
Her father unknowingly appears on tv. And he sent her a message. And her father's partner fights Bayonetta, seeing as she's no match she refuses her and leaves. With Bayonetta's amnesia still in the process of recovering. --And then out of nowhere she gets teleported somewhere with a little girl who looks a lot like her. And is faced against angels. He takes the adorable little girl with her. ...Luka breaks in her house planting camera's, but he gets caught. --For some reason strong angels keep coming her way. --Arrived to the destination of where her father wants her to be. Round 2 vs that women. But an angel summons them to fight. We learn that Jean, was her childhood friend, and the angels killed her people including her mother. --Aha! I thought it was that. That little girl is Bayonetta from the past. Angels were about to kill Luka just like his father. And he does.
Bayonetta's powers are unleashed, to become a god. Nvm, Luka is alive. My bad, Bayonetta and her father fuse to become a god. So in the end, Jean, her sister? join forces and they kill the Father. Saving earth.

...To be honest it was disappointing, a few tiny things didn't make sense or were somewhat confusing. And it was fast-paced in a unpleasant way. Or maybe the story just sucked that much. 6/10 or maybe a 5/10... I don't know. Ya, 5/10. The fighting was cool too. Everything felt small. It.. sucked. --But it was kinda cool to see the hot Bayonetta.

Some of the English voice actors sound awkward or just uncool from time to time on certain dialogues.

... Opinion Today:
Honestly I don't remember much but. Playing the game now at Chapter 7. ... I realize that ... even though the anime is very flawed. At least it gives a better view of the story than those horrible stills cutscenes with dialogue in the game. Plus Bayonetta's younger self has a better design in the anime. ... I gave the anime a 5/10 btw. ... I could probably add more but I don't remember the anime so ...
Mar 31, 2017 3:29 PM

Feb 2016
I platinumed this game some months ago, and I don't know why but I didn't get really well the story, so this movie helped me to fully understand it lol

The best of the movie is the art (great design of Bayonetta and Cereza) and the sexy voice of Tanaka Atsuko as Bayo, man, I always saw her in that role
Oct 17, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Totally mixed feelings about this movie. It's an enjoyable watch however its flaws just give a slight turn off. No complaints about the characters design, art/animation and action scenes. 6.8/10
Dec 30, 2018 12:27 AM

Apr 2018
Didn't play the game but i really liked the movie tbh

Enjoyement 8/10
Overall score 7-7.25/10

Watched it in eng dub btw

Edit:watched the whole playthrough of bayonetta 2 on pewdiepie's channel because of this lol
AkerakaiDec 31, 2018 1:08 AM
Nov 10, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2008
Meh, like Tina Fey trying to play costumed super hero.
I was never into the games, and only watched others play em. And thank goodness too, cause they are annoying. Still, just another passing title to add to my anime belt.
ONwards, ever onwards...
Oct 22, 2020 3:29 PM

Feb 2014
Slept through it 3 times, found it shallow and boring.
Feb 8, 2021 3:33 AM
Dec 2017
highway 666 my favorite level in the game being recreated was a really cool scene in the film

May 5, 2021 6:25 PM

Oct 2017
curvedtree said:
Slept through it 3 times, found it shallow and boring.

Sameeeee so dull and boring and the devilmay cry vibes and blade the vampire hunter rip off vibes were not doing it any favors - i kinda hated it by the ending for real and not knowing it was a game originally just totally didn't prepare me for such disappointment and seeings I've never played it i had no attachment either, it got a 2/10...

Enjoyed the disgaea anime game adaption a lot better even though its not really relateable besides being a game seeings its a comedy vs this action type a show.
Jun 2, 2023 8:53 AM

Apr 2023
I love how it follows the story straight to the point as best as it can and it even included one of the best areas of the game too route 666 too. 

Also seeing Bayonetta with her hair down was also a nice bonus too.

So overall i'd find it to be a pretty decent adaptation.

Oct 9, 2023 3:21 PM
Oct 2023
it's just the game-in-short movie adaptation, but i love it
Nov 19, 2023 5:36 AM
Jun 2016
Found it boring, the little kid I really hated her. Saying 'mummy' every 2 seconds just made me switch off

More topics from this board

» sign here if you want to play the original game.

Disapeared_Ghost - Oct 1, 2021

1 by Xenpai_47 »»
Nov 10, 2023 9:56 PM

» Is this worth watching if I haven't played the game before?

LegendGoldDark - Mar 15, 2014

6 by psyko00747 »»
Sep 11, 2021 6:39 AM

» Bayonetta: Bloody Fate trailer

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

2 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jun 29, 2021 6:41 PM

» Will the theme song be released on CD?

john_doe_ - Dec 10, 2013

2 by john_doe_ »»
Feb 4, 2014 7:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.