Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 28, 2014 4:37 AM

May 2013
This episode was a complete mind-fuck, but still enjoying it nonetheless.
Jun 17, 2014 6:42 PM

Jun 2014
So as I understand it so far, there really is a second Lain, an entity from the "Wired" that is connected to real Lain.
Jul 16, 2014 7:18 AM

Jan 2014
I'm getting really confused O_O
Jul 19, 2014 5:48 AM

May 2014
Quite the mind bender, had to re-watch the scenes again and again to follow through. History isn't s linear sequence of events, the Deus can now link them... everything is connected, is Lain the mediator.
T3hSourceJul 19, 2014 5:54 AM
Sep 7, 2014 8:18 PM
Aug 2014
By far the creepiest episode. I am also reminded of Boogiepop Phantom and Mouryo No Hako where reality and fantasy 'worlds' are merging. I also think there's two Lains, and I think Lain's sister is a shell; she's already dead and in the world of 'The Wired'.
Sep 11, 2014 12:43 PM

Dec 2012
Marzan said:
I'm so confused. But I love the atmosphere created in this series and I want to know what's up with Lain and the Wired.
Sep 12, 2014 5:36 AM

Sep 2013
Ugh I actually ended up understanding what was happening and now I don't like this anime-
although I'll probably end up liking it soon because that is sensib:e.
Sep 20, 2014 5:16 AM

Apr 2014
Man, dinners at the Lain household look hella awkward.
Oct 9, 2014 3:55 AM

Dec 2009
I'm already at episode 5 and I still don't know if I like this or not. I get what is going on, but I just don't care . . . it's kind of really boring. Besides the stuff that was happening with Mika.

I'm nearly half way done so I won't be dropping but as of right now I'm giving this a 7, if barely an 8.

Jan 7, 2015 3:06 AM

Oct 2013
this is fucked
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jan 12, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2011
Where did Lain get all that stuff? Did her dad buy it?

Normally i would say that seems weird, or would clearly indicate that he is deeply involved in everything. But, despite what Lain said, her family is awefully *disconnected* from each other. Her father might be like "why not?" or not really think about it at all and simply do something he was asked to do. Like, if you get handed a shopping list from your husband/wife/parents, you do not usually check every single item if it makes sense, you simply buy the stuff.

Or she somehow got her hands on enough money. With her supposed hacking abilities, it should be easy to either acquire money, or otherwise resolve the problem of paying.

Still, unless she manages to intercept all packages like the navi her father bought, her family must know about it, which leads back to them being "disconnected".

Besides that i do not really know whats going on..
Jan 14, 2015 8:02 PM

Aug 2013
ive figured it out JJ spiked lains family water supply thats y everyone trips balls ah it was so obvious
Yo
Jan 24, 2015 2:21 PM

Aug 2014
A lot of plot development in this episode
- It seems that Lain's sister now has a version of herself in the wired.
- The Lain from Cyberia may have been the same way.
- On the other hand, the Lain we know right now could be the wired version of the Lain from Cyberia.
- The girl who died at the beginning could also be the same
- It seems Lain is able to control many things in the wired subconsciously.
- I wonder what this whole prophecy thing is.
Jan 25, 2015 6:32 PM
Jan 2012
It gets creepier and more confusing with each episode. How is that even possible.
Feb 9, 2015 4:46 AM

Feb 2015
I love this episode! Here are a few ideas to confuse you further help you all work out what went on:

Premise 1 (literal) – Lain is a girl experiencing some sort of dissociative identity disorder, which we find out from this episode is genetic. We witness her sister experience an episode of psychosis which fundamentally alters her character. The water taking on a shiny look was a foreshadowing of this meltdown and possibly a reference to LSD.

Premise 2 (symbolic)– Lain is the anthropomorphic representation of the collective consciousness that is the online interaction between the minds of the world. Her sister Mika is that of an earlier system (such as the connection formed through phone lines or perhaps radio frequencies), one that is becoming outdated and that Lain is prophecised to replace. This episode is the point at which her persona finally breaks down. It marks the point at which Lain's influence and popularity has become greater than her own and from here her personality regresses further and further until she is just a husk of her former self.

Premise 3 (conspiracy)– Mika's mind has been altered by the Knights through some means, such as use of a drug, hacking of her brain, or systematic brainwashing with messages through the wired. Her online presence and regular self experience a switch while the Knights direct her online personality to rig Lain’s system in an attempt to kill Lain. This process fucks up her brain, overriding old memories and personality tropes , leaving her as a husk of her former self.
CaelidesuApr 30, 2015 7:33 AM
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 15, 2015 9:39 PM
Jun 2013
oh noes lain is hearing voices. wow just left lain in the street. Seems only person that cares for her is her dad and alice. wtf is going on?! is it like some sort of invasion of the body snatchers.
Apr 18, 2015 6:14 AM
Jan 2012
the pacing is so off putting
Apr 28, 2015 10:12 PM

Oct 2013
Will they applaud to Lain at the end?
Apr 30, 2015 7:31 AM

Jan 2015
i am so confused but i dont care. also the poor sister is gonna get screwed here.
May 8, 2015 10:02 AM

Aug 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:

hahahahahaha....
May 8, 2015 12:09 PM
Nov 2014
Crazy episode, very mindfuckery but still damn awesome. Those knights guys are pretty insane about chasing Mika to fulfill the dem prophecy.
May 11, 2015 2:20 PM

Jun 2014
So many questions :'((
May 22, 2015 2:09 PM

Sep 2014
icirate said:
Premise 1 (literal) – Lain is a girl experiencing some sort of dissociative identity disorder, which we find out from this episode is genetic.

I like this idea.

Other thoughts:

- the prophecy seems like kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy as they try to brainwash people into fulfilling the prophecy
- are the knights some kind of (maybe induced) stand alone complex?
Jun 18, 2015 11:26 AM

May 2012
that was trippy af, "who was it today" your sister it seems
Jul 31, 2015 11:58 PM

Jan 2015
I really liked this episode, it was very confusing, but I think I've got some facts down.

At first, I didn't quite like this show after watching the first episode (though, this is probably due to the fact I was grumpy when I watched it), But now I really enjoy it, I think it just took me a while to get into the jist of it.

Dat OP though. DAT OP!

UnoPuntoCinco said:

Haha, I hope so. :3
Aug 6, 2015 5:53 PM

Aug 2015
More confused than ever. I'm constantly forming theories in my head, but when I try to put them down I can't find the words or they don't seem to make much sense.

I don't know, maybe I'm all hopped up on Mt. Dew, but the thought just occurred to me to think of Wired as being another dimension instead of inside of a computer lol. Like when Lain's sister saw herself, she was really seeing the Lain's sister from the other "dimension". It could be that's why none of them understand what the other is doing and have no memory of it. They aren't really one and the same. /mindblown

... I think my brain is melting. :P ★3/5
Aug 8, 2015 3:49 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not sure what's happening but that's nothing new with this show. This ep was very creepy. What does the prophecy means??
Aug 11, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, I'm alone at my home atm and I'm afraid to drink water even though I'm thirsty.
I can't even look at the walls of my room. What is there's written, "fulfill the prophecy?"
This is some scary shit.
But I really like how awesome this is. Want more of this :D
Sep 23, 2015 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Nov 22, 2015 6:31 PM

Aug 2013
RX-782 said:
I feel terrible not understanding what's going on.

same.
Jan 3, 2016 8:17 PM

Jun 2015
Caelidesu said:
I love this episode! Here are a few ideas to confuse you further help you all work out what went on:

Premise 1 (literal) – Lain is a girl experiencing some sort of dissociative identity disorder, which we find out from this episode is genetic. We witness her sister experience an episode of psychosis which fundamentally alters her character. The water taking on a shiny look was a foreshadowing of this meltdown and possibly a reference to LSD.

Premise 2 (symbolic)– Lain is the anthropomorphic representation of the collective consciousness that is the online interaction between the minds of the world. Her sister Mika is that of an earlier system (such as the connection formed through phone lines or perhaps radio frequencies), one that is becoming outdated and that Lain is prophecised to replace. This episode is the point at which her persona finally breaks down. It marks the point at which Lain's influence and popularity has become greater than her own and from here her personality regresses further and further until she is just a husk of her former self.

Premise 3 (conspiracy)– Mika's mind has been altered by the Knights through some means, such as use of a drug, hacking of her brain, or systematic brainwashing with messages through the wired. Her online presence and regular self experience a switch while the Knights direct her online personality to rig Lain’s system in an attempt to kill Lain. This process fucks up her brain, overriding old memories and personality tropes , leaving her as a husk of her former self.

Jan 14, 2016 5:48 PM

Jun 2013
Caelidesu said:

I like all these theories. I like the first and third theories the most.
臭い-
Jan 17, 2016 7:25 AM

Aug 2014
This is a Creepy episode , I wonder what's that prophecy is about .
Jan 21, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2010
meh...this was plain boring. I have a hunch that this was released with thoughts of that whole y2k thing...

this has quite some loop holes. Ok, so there is a god in wired, but how long does this thing have to already have myths about it? lol

2/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 9, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2011
This episode was a bit better than the last episode but I'm about done with Lain's split personality. I'm glad that this episode focused more on her sister, which I guess wasn't handled too well.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Feb 29, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2014
And just when i thought the sister was the only normal person in that family....
Apr 7, 2016 4:52 PM
Mar 2013
I love this dreamy, eerie atmosphere
Apr 25, 2016 1:46 PM

Jan 2016
mindfuckery at its finest
May 23, 2016 11:02 AM

Feb 2016
Now that episode was creepy, especially that end where lain's sister watches herself but not actually seeing herself for real. I assume soon they'll talk about parallel worlds/universe etc ^^
Aug 26, 2016 5:25 AM

May 2010
God it doesn't answer anything. Mystery for the sake of mystery. I wonder if it's a masochist's anime. Maybe the answers will only come once I finish it.
Sep 18, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2016
Crazy episode. Lain's parents are extremely calm about the fact Lain's room looks like a lab from Ghost in the Shell. They somehow have to be involved in whatever is going on...at let her father. Someone mentioned Lain's sister may be a shell and has already committed suicide to become a part of the Wired...a very intriguing idea indeed...
Nov 11, 2016 5:11 AM

Oct 2014
Interesting but im starting to get confused now. And just wtf happened to lains room? Just a few episodes ago it looked like a normal room and now its totally different. And y r there two of her sister? where the fuck did her real sister go?
xRhaiNov 11, 2016 5:15 AM
Dec 13, 2016 9:50 PM

Jan 2015

WTF IS GOING ON??? Lain's sister is crazy too now?? I don't understand...
Jan 3, 2017 1:10 AM

Jan 2017
these threads are definitely a blessing, some of u have theories i could never have thought of... this is all just a mind fuck to me right now,,,,
Apr 24, 2017 10:10 PM

Jun 2013
I think we are getting a hint that another world is coexisting within the real world. Lain is only being dragged deeper into her Navi as her modifications were growing larger every time we saw her room. Her father even warned her that the Wired and reality should be kept separate, but Lain neglected that and now she cannot perceive the difference between the two worlds. She is even questioning the existence of her family and her surroundings (when she was talking to the doll). I think her mental state has altered to the point that her outlook of the Wired is coexisting within her vision of reality, hence why she could see her sister's shadow when she got home.
May 9, 2017 11:01 PM

Jul 2009
i just want answers...
May 17, 2017 4:34 AM

Dec 2015
oh man that episode, best episode so far
Sep 20, 2017 1:09 PM

May 2015
Where did she get the money to invest in all of this crazy equipment in her room? So far I saw her having nothing, no furniture in her room, only plush toys and a blanket on the floor.

What is this prophecy and why the heck should we care?

Why are these apparitions talking to her? What makes Lain so special? Are we gonna be told at the end, where there's gonna an a-ha moment and everything suddenly starts making sense?

Where'd all the men in black go?

What's about that Accela? The show went out of its way to introduce it, yet there's been no sign of it again so far. So... I guess episode 2 was a complete and total filler, in a show with 13 episodes?

What? How? Why?
Dec 8, 2017 12:26 PM

Jan 2017
So i'm confused, can't deny that. Of course it's only logical to be, since things are presented in a very chaotic way in order to create an impact and reveal to us their world later on but at this point i thought you could only have this kind of visions and experiences if you somehow interact with the Wired, so i could "understand" Lain's development but this happening to her sister just got me, since i thought she didn't use the Wired at all.

Also, this prophecy thing is really creepy. And are also people that are not so deep into the Wired (Lain) see those things happening? Like, when one of Lain's friends saw what she did out there in Shibuya?

I'm really liking it this so far. Seems to me a case of split personality between the one you use/have in the Wired and the "real world" one, do they somehow connect? Why does Lain doesn't remember anything at all most of the time but then one time she acted completely strange and outgoing with her friends? Wasn't that really Lain?
Why did her sister met her other self?

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 1, 2018 10:26 AM

Jul 2016
the atmosphere this show creates is so fantastic even if I have no idea what's going on. Particularly with sound and visuals. It's quite well made in terms of cinematography.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

AgathaKazar - May 12, 2008

143 by F-NET-3744432322 »»
Jun 16, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

125 by bud627 »»
Jun 14, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

376 by ryzxgum »»
Jun 14, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Jun 13, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.