Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 16, 2009 12:52 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, still don't get what's going on but looks like Lain's sister is caught up in this too :/
Mar 22, 2009 5:02 PM

Feb 2009
This episode made me remember episodes 25/26 of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
But, unlike Evangelion (which i hated how they did that), this one was incredibly cool while crazy.
It gives me the creeps, but i love the way it shows us Lain and the Wired.
It's the best psycho anime i've ever seen!!!
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Jun 4, 2009 1:56 PM

May 2009
Hmm, you're right, it is a bit like NGE...

I have no idea what actually goes on in this episode... but it's awsome! :o
Sep 1, 2009 12:41 AM

Jan 2008
I'm having a hard time following too. Here's my only guess, which is probably completely wrong:
Lain and her sister have multiple (or at least two) personalities which switch at certain times. When they switch they can access (and enter?) the Wired remotely through their mind or whatever. When they switch back to their original personality they have no recollection of anything that happened during the alternate personality. That would explain how she went from sitting at the table to sitting in the middle of the street to sitting in the restaurant and how Lain doesn't know anything about her wild side.

The only way I can explain what Lain saw at the door is maybe the Wired is somehow getting blended with reality and maybe her sister who was getting all freaked out was just a different version of her who exists in the Wired.

Also, the father (i think) said that the body is just proof of our existence, so if you can enter the Wired completely you have no more need for your body, which would explain the suicide.

Just a guess. I'm probably just completely mind-f**ked though. Oh, well. Hopefully I'll understand at least a little by the end of the series.
Nov 20, 2009 11:00 PM

Aug 2009
Now Lain's room looks like a lab of a crazy scientist. I wonder for what she needs so many machines.
Dec 2, 2009 12:33 AM

Apr 2009
This anime gives me a creep like Evangelion,,But eva is more disturbing in some aspects...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2009 3:11 AM
Sep 2009
sovaca said:
Now Lain's room looks like a lab of a crazy scientist. I wonder for what she needs so many machines.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Anyhow this one kinda creeped me out, I like that. Actually NGE never really gave me the creeps, not until I watched EoE at least.

A bit of what Chiyo said is what I'm thinking. The alternate personalities (or perhaps subliminal selves) of Lain and her sister have embraced the Wired (or maybe I should say that the other way around). Also I think that the parents, especially the father, know more about what's going on here than the kids.
May 9, 2010 4:30 PM

Apr 2010
That was some crazy shit. Some good speculations here and i agree with you there, about the personalities and stuff. I want an answer too for the question that Lain's sister asked in this episode, what prophecy? That everyone should make a suicide and live in the wired reality?
May 18, 2010 2:38 AM

Jun 2009
something tells me Lain have build a Navy strong enough to influence real world with... wired reality. Her sister have been sent to wired... I think...

Time line, reality, prophecy, and Lain create prophecy... Lain is god?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2010 12:00 AM

Feb 2009
I can't stop even if this is creeping me out, I think I'm being pulled into the wired! :P
Oct 11, 2010 10:00 PM

Oct 2008
Lol at the lil kid.

"Ano.." *sips* "Mind if I hit on you?"

But, it's really getting trippy now.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 7, 2010 1:51 AM

Mar 2009
Interesting. The atmosphere of the episodes just remind me of Boogiepop.
Apr 25, 2011 8:36 AM
Jan 2010
ezaya said:
This anime gives me a creep like Evangelion,,But eva is more disturbing in some aspects...

No eva is just hurr durr DEEP while this is actually deep.
May 25, 2011 10:16 PM

May 2010
I have a vague understanding of what's happened so far but I don't think I can convey it.

Feel sort of bad for Lain's sister; she seems to be getting the brunt of this world's mind-fuckery.

I like shows like this; the sort of shows that slowly open up and don't reveal too much until the very end.
Jun 10, 2011 3:21 PM

Aug 2010
My head!! im so confused right now i can't follow what is this prophecy??? and when did Lain's sister got involved in this??
Dec 22, 2011 3:19 PM

Jan 2010
I wonder why Lain keeps asking her parents if they're her "real" parents.

Apparently God is male. Also, why do we keep switching between Lain's crazy computer bedroom, and her "normal" room? I think the state of the rooms is a projection of Lain's psychological state.
Jan 15, 2012 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Oh man, now her sister's pulled into this? She was supposed to be the normal one!

I guess from what the dad said the god of the wired is doing this. Why did it choose them though? Can other people see what's going on? The dude passing out those napkin-things, did he give any to anyone else? Did anyone else's have anything written on them? And what was up with that ghostly figure Lain saw in the house?

Too many questions. This is great.
Jan 20, 2012 7:43 PM

Mar 2011
Okay, this is getting really weird, just like Lain's bedroom.
Feb 11, 2012 9:00 AM

Apr 2011
More doors (heh, mordor) keep opening up with this anime. I definitely feel that the whole connection factor is starting to play a part, where the Wired is appearing in the real world. Crazy stuff. I'm really intrigued.
May 17, 2012 10:37 PM

Dec 2010
This anime creeps me out...which is why it's so addicting. The philosophy and talk about the net merging with the real world is really mind-blowing.

Jun 20, 2012 2:34 AM

Oct 2011
Hmm... Lain looks like she is totally into Navi's. She's got like 5+ screens in her room what is ....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Nov 2010
5+ screens. hardcore multitasking. can't get enough wired information and activities derp.
Oct 14, 2012 4:38 PM

May 2012
Wow (I'm like 'wow' after every episode of this series so far). I felt really sorry for Lain's sister, scenes with her were actually like from some psychological horror movie. Poor girl. Also: more episodes I watch - more I have no idea who Lain really is. Her last line in this episode... Kinda creepy.
Nov 14, 2012 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
Here's what I got out of the episode. It appears that Lain has been keeping herself busy on the wire. Doing what? I have no idea. She seems to be hacking, but has no recollection of it. She does happen to remember being visited by many different people in her bedroom. This might attribute to the last line of "Who is it today?" Maybe she is expecting another visitor in her room.

As with the sister, all the bad things started to happen to her after she left some dude's house, possibly her boyfriend. She doesn't seem to notice his existence and just leaves the room. I thought that was odd, she doesn't seem to be the sort to do that kind of thing as some said she appears to be the most normal one out of the family.

She doesn't seem to be one who is "connected" to the wired like Lain is. What we witnessed of the sister might be her wired self awakening so to speak. That is what I believe anyway.

When she was in the bathroom, she said that she should be home at that time eating dinner with the family and she appeared to be bewildered by not being present for it. When she finally gets home, she notices her physical self was present for dinner and that is when Lain comes in and sees her sister's wired self fade away.

What I am trying to figure out is what the whole prophesy thing is and what does the sister have to do with it. As stated in the beginning of the episode, "when you can hear it, it is speaking to you and if you can see it it's your"...physical self looking from the outside? I have no idea. Great series so far!
Nov 15, 2012 3:04 PM

Apr 2011
It just gets more weird. I'm sure it'll make sense later.
Dec 8, 2012 12:58 PM

May 2012
This is so weird, especially that ending, what's going on here oO? I'm getting really confused O_O
Dec 24, 2012 7:34 AM

Nov 2012
if episode 6 is coming witch more even more confusions and not something to clear u.
i am gong to drop this anime.
But i have to admit if everything comes together in the end this could be a great series indeed.
Jan 1, 2013 11:55 PM

Aug 2012
-I think that lain is like god or something and controlling the real world through the wired. lol.

-that's one messed up family! I'd hate to eat dinner at that table every night. it's depressing just watching them, lol

-wtf happened to her sister! lmao, this makes no sense
Jan 5, 2013 2:42 PM
Aug 2011
I do not understand one thing. Is the girl from their group also sister of lain? They look so alike in that uniform I couldn't get that.

So, lain is deus, or her other self is deus, or deus is her other self. Right?
Jan 25, 2013 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
>Mind if I hit on you?

I fucking face palmed. Anyways, another eerie episode with an eerie ending. 4/5
Jan 28, 2013 11:04 PM

Nov 2012
I feel terrible not understanding what's going on.
Feb 4, 2013 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
alexx_310 said:
I feel terrible not understanding what's going on.

I understand how you feel.
Feb 12, 2013 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
It's all about the wireless 4g nowadays.
Everytime a character talks to another character it feel unnatural and awkward.
Maybe it's just the bad english dub im watching.
Mar 31, 2013 10:34 PM

Jul 2011
ok...What?

so confused, but so intrigued by it. Gotta. Keep. watching.
Apr 29, 2013 4:17 PM

Oct 2012
Still don't know what's happening.
May 9, 2013 4:16 AM

Aug 2007
What I can take away from this episode is...
1) Lain is having hallucinations of sorts as she learns more about the Wired and whatever God resides within it
2) Mika is being stalked by the Knights, continually telling her through various mediums to "fulfill the prophecy."

I'm assuming that this prophecy will be reveled soon.
I think everything else is questionable and can only be speculation, and I'm waiting to get more bits in future episodes.

Jun 7, 2013 5:54 AM

Apr 2013
Things have gotten even more weirder this time. But at least some explanation was given in this episode.
Jun 18, 2013 9:36 PM
May 2013
I can't help but think either someone experimented on the girls when they were children and their parents are in on this whole thing..
Or its really just some mind-fuck blending of reality and the Wire.
Jun 21, 2013 7:24 PM
Jan 2012
If i could explain how i feel about this show I'd say Frustrating
when am i gonna start understanding whats going on? : _ :
Jun 26, 2013 1:15 PM

Feb 2013
This said:

You're not alone.

Dafuq happened to her sister? Does she have a doppelganger or something?

This anime never ceases to fuck my mind.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 28, 2013 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
WAIT. What just happend to her sister? Is she now gone or somewhere in the Wired?
Aug 12, 2013 2:27 PM

Jan 2012
MY MIND. All the stuff that occured when during the flashback had me scratching my head. What is this prophecy? The hinting that Lain is special is massive now, is everything around her real, or she real herself??
Everything that happened to the sister was creepy and interesting. I'm guessin, that that 'sister' (can't remember her name :P) strayed from the worlds linear timeline?? And in turn, turned into a ghost!?? And oh, that means, that all those 'ghost' things that Lain has seen thus far, were actual people, getting there minds fucked. And i'm also guessing, they only turn into ghosts after they see the 'real' them. Though I don't know whats real anymore.
Can't see how the knights and Lain could be connected, but i'm sure they will be. Maybe they are a human faction who know about Lain? And how dangerous she is??
Still. I want an episode about the father. He seems so mysterious.
^everything I said may be wrong though >.<
vhynz said:
This said:

You're not alone.
Sep 30, 2013 12:45 PM

Jul 2012
Was the sister replaced by her wired version/avatar or something like that? What is this prophecy Lain is talking about? and i almost forgot about the weird shadows in past episodes. The questions just keeps popping, I have not been this confused since Ergo Proxy
Oct 28, 2013 9:26 PM

Mar 2012
I don't even.....
Oct 30, 2013 7:22 AM

Nov 2010
This episode actually gave answers to a lot of questions regarding SEL's premise.
The existential musings were indeed reminiscent of NGE, but SEL's take on it is significantly different imo.
Nov 2, 2013 7:49 AM

Feb 2011
is lain part of that knights group?
that talk about wired being an upper layes was so screwed up..

noticed it only now that lain's haircut is similar to her sister, wonder if she copied her like little sisters/brothers usually do :3

:/ it seems to me that lain trapped her sister..

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 5, 2013 2:10 AM
Nov 2013
Really getting into this now, by far my favorite episode.

Lain's sister's freak out was all very well done, haunting visually and audibly. I love some of the audio work in this anime.

My (probably completely wrong) theory is that everyone has a different "self" (a different personality) in the wired, and that lain and her sister have no recollection of what their other "selves" do. I think this might be because someone is pulling them into the wired. Maybe the knights, pulling people in to "fulfill the prophecy". They both have somewhat digital-esque hallucinations (i think symbolising the wired mixing with the real world) , and patches missing from their memory. This could be why lain and her sister do not remember what they do in the wired, while other people, like the kids at cyberia do.

Lain wired parents confused me, as it seems to suggest that they of no memory of those events in the real world either, yet that seems doubtful of Lain's father, who knows so much about the wired.

Also, what kind of sister just turns their back when they see their younger sibling standing in the middle of the road? A little weird.

I'm interested to find out who or what the "god of the wired" is.

Also it seemed to me that lain's room was shown both with absolutely no navi in it (in the floating parents scenes) and then with a machine pretty much covering the entire room.
SatanicBeaverDec 5, 2013 2:18 AM
Dec 7, 2013 9:23 PM

Apr 2012
This episode is one of the weirdest one. Bring out a lot of questions to the table.

First we see that the person who have been talking to lain all this time identifies himself as kami-sama (god). We don't know is this is true yet.

We also learn about the past trough some kind of flashbacks. It seems like someone was already talking to lain about the reality she lives in and its relation with the wired, including some creepy shit in the process.

Mika starts to get involved in the situation, she sees lain acting weird in the street and then starts to experiment some kind of blackouts, someone or something is messing with her mind, they want her to fulfill the prophesy, we don't know what the actual fuck is going on but is creepy as shit.

In one of the past episodes I wrote about how the parent are possibly getting controlled or replaced because they were acting weird, in this episode we see exactly what's happening, but with mika this time, making one of the most scary scene in anime ever for some reason.

At the end of the episode they show us Lain interacting with her new navi, she ask "who is it today?". We still don't know what is lain doing in the wired.
なんとかなる
Jan 4, 2014 4:18 AM
May 2013
xAvengerx said:
I don't even.....
understand a goddamn thing .
Feb 3, 2014 4:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm so confused. But I love the atmosphere created in this series and I want to know what's up with Lain and the Wired.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.