Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2014 3:06 PM

Dec 2012
Mecha rocks.

Well, most of it anyway. There are certain types I like and certain types that I don't. For me it kinda depends on how they treat the mecha, and tone of the show. I tend to enjoy the show more when they're treated like any other weapon of war, the so called "real robot" stuff. The "super robot" type and the "combing robot" type I enjoy less often.
KruszerJan 7, 2014 3:10 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 7, 2014 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
Because I don't like watching robots slap their big metal robot dicks together.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 7, 2014 3:08 PM

Feb 2013
I haven't watched a lot of mecha anime but I don't dislike it.
Jan 7, 2014 3:09 PM

Sep 2011
im fine with it, like i dont get why people dislike it because its such a vague addition to a show, being a mecha doesnt mean the show automatically follows a similar formula, they can be radically different even down to what the mechs are or how they are used

like compare macross to tekkaman blade, they are not alike in the slightest
compare full metal panic to rahXephon, completely different
evangelion to martian successor nadesico and so and so on

mecha doesnt ground a show quality nor helps it, its a vague addition to a show and that shows quality is only reliant upon the writing it has, the only issue with mecha is that i dont think its really possible to not be a action series but I really doubt there exist many anime fans that dislike anything with action

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 7, 2014 3:10 PM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:
I try to figure out if I like it or not, but it seems every damn mecha entry I get is either an over-the-top parody or a genre deconstruction.

Probably futile telling you this, and I'm no mecha fan, but over-the-top parody would be super robot. You want to look for real-robot things. Maybe.
Jan 7, 2014 3:12 PM

Nov 2012
I love mecha; it is possibly my favorite genre. I was a little shocked when I discovered I was actually in a significant minority relative to the rest of the anime community when it comes to this. I think a lot of people have not given it a fair shot much like the slice of life genre being written off as boring even though there are quite a few gems there.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jan 7, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2012
mecha done well = yes
mecha done shitty = no

any genre done well = yes
any genre done shitty = no
Jan 7, 2014 3:25 PM

Jan 2014
will watch mecha anime

Ah.. BBCode failed me, oh well
Jan 7, 2014 3:31 PM

Apr 2012
the best mecha anime as rated by this site does not take place in a very futuristic world, like TTGL and Code Geass.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 7, 2014 3:32 PM

Aug 2012
ona said:
lupadim said:
ona said:
"Mecha is shit," said the man who gave Code Geass a 9.

oh code geass is mecha
wait let me change the score to 7

Well done. I'll give you points for addressing your inconsistencies. 7's far from a shit score, though.

but I liked the characters of Code Geass (not the robots, the characters)
Jan 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Nov 2012
It's not so much that I dislike mechas, but more the fact that I enjoy anime with strong characters and a plot that can at least hold everything together. I haven't seen many mecha anime because I tend to drop them pretty fast (and believe me, I do try to give them a shot), but Aquarion Evol is one of the few that does the job.

Funny thing because despite the fact that I love action in my anime, action alone can't hold it up for me. I need substance, or at least something that is stylistic. Many mechas just don't do that unfortunately.
Jan 7, 2014 3:39 PM

Apr 2007
bunny_lover said:
the best mecha anime as rated by this site does not take place in a very futuristic world, like TTGL and Code Geass.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is set in a post-apocalyptic world probably thousands of years into the future...

lupadim said:
ona said:
lupadim said:
ona said:

oh code geass is mecha

Well done. I'll give you points for addressing your inconsistencies. 7's far from a shit score, though.

and you might miss out on even more anime with characters you might like if you dismiss every series that has a robot in it.
Jan 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Nov 2008
I like mecha just not ones like Buddy Complex and Valvrave, Sunrise should just stick to idols from now on as they aren't releasing Gundam The Origin or any mecha worth watching currently.

Jan 7, 2014 3:41 PM

Jul 2013
lupadim said:
ona said:
lupadim said:
ona said:

oh code geass is mecha

That means you don't think all mecha is shit.
Jan 7, 2014 3:45 PM

Jun 2012
Mecha is shit and you should feel bad, bow down to the elite.

No mecha deserves a rating above 4/10 and you should cry to your mother if you rated one anywhere above the rank of mediocre.
Jan 7, 2014 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
Wecc said:
LordLagann said:
If you don't like giant, bad ass looking, fighting robots then there's something wrong with YOU!

damn i knew something was wrong with me, hell of a way to find out though.

Had to find out sooner or later. Sorry bro!
Jan 7, 2014 3:49 PM

Nov 2012
DYRE said:
Miraclezify said:
It's not so much that I dislike mechas, but more the fact that I enjoy anime with strong characters and a plot that can at least hold everything together.

...you mean like what most well-regarded mecha anime have?

How many well-regarded mecha anime are actually good? I'd like a list because I can only think of one.

Feb 2010
Cause mecha is very formulaic (there are exceptions like Flag or Patlabor, but yeah) and while this goes for other genres too I just don't like the mecha formula. Powerups and Nakama power are a lot less entertaining with mechas instead of some kind of special shounen MC power, imo. Mecha fights are just boring imo, if you've seen one you've seen them all. In battle shounen you at least have the variation from katanas to gomu gomu to kage bunshin etc... Mechas are always just Mechas and there's always a new model and I kinda fall asleep thinking about it. Plus in recent times mecha series are regularly coupled with harems and fanservice like IS.

So yeah, mecha isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it's usually easy to see if it's gonna be an anime that also has mechas (Code Geass, Suisei no Gargantia) or a MECHA ANIME (Gundam, IS, at least 1 of that kind airs each season) and I avoid the latter. Well, with the exception of TTGL which was... different.
I probably regret this post by now.

Aug 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
im fine with it, like i dont get why people dislike it because its such a vague addition to a show, being a mecha doesnt mean the show automatically follows a similar formula, they can be radically different even down to what the mechs are or how they are used

like compare macross to tekkaman blade, they are not alike in the slightest
compare full metal panic to rahXephon, completely different
evangelion to martian successor nadesico and so and so on

mecha doesnt ground a show quality nor helps it, its a vague addition to a show and that shows quality is only reliant upon the writing it has, the only issue with mecha is that i dont think its really possible to not be a action series but I really doubt there exist many anime fans that dislike anything with action
Wow I never knew Tekkaman Blade was a mecha anime. I always thought mecha anime are anime like the Gundam series with guys piloting giant robots and duking it out.
Jan 7, 2014 3:51 PM

Apr 2012
ona said:
bunny_lover said:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is set in a post-apocalyptic world probably thousands of years into the future...
Yes this is true but not what I meant. Most mecha anime takes place in the space and have all the advanced technology and such. If it is not well-executed, it is hard for audience to suspend our disbelief.

Most mecha anime try to be like Gundam (not saying gundam is bad) or something that is very science fiction like. However, if you have a very mediocre plot then the anime would seem childish and unrealistic, which would produce bad results. On the other hand, if a slice-of-life or romance (something that has normal everyday setting) story only have a mediocre plot, then at least it would seem more realistic than the mecha genre.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 7, 2014 4:15 PM

Feb 2012
bunny_lover said:

Best mecha my ass.

Need some good Mobile Suit or Macross series.
"You know what they say about he who hesitates in war? He who hesitates is lost."
Jan 7, 2014 4:16 PM

Feb 2010
captainmorgan said:
bunny_lover said:

Best mecha my ass.

Need some good Mobile Suit or Macross series.
Jan 7, 2014 4:36 PM

Nov 2013
Hoppy said:
I like mecha just not ones like Buddy Complex and Valvrave, Sunrise should just stick to idols from now on as they aren't releasing Gundam The Origin or any mecha worth watching currently.

This. The formula behind these kinds of mecha anime left me with a bad taste in my mouth for mecha anime in general.
Jan 7, 2014 4:48 PM

Jun 2011
I guess some people don't like giant robots... I personally don't mind mecha. While it isn't my favorite genre, some of my favorite anime are from this genre like Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, etc.

Jan 7, 2014 4:56 PM

Jun 2013
daintybiscuit said:
mecha done well = yes
mecha done shitty = no

any genre done well = yes
any genre done shitty = no

/thread
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Jan 7, 2014 4:58 PM

Jun 2012
I don't see what is so cool about Mechas. I mean, a Mecha is just a big robot.

A big, stupid robot.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 7, 2014 5:01 PM

Dec 2012
Miraclezify said:
DYRE said:
Miraclezify said:
It's not so much that I dislike mechas, but more the fact that I enjoy anime with strong characters and a plot that can at least hold everything together.

...you mean like what most well-regarded mecha anime have?

How many well-regarded mecha anime are actually good? I'd like a list because I can only think of one.

I don't know if they're well regarded, but I'd say give these a try:
KruszerJan 7, 2014 5:17 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 7, 2014 5:35 PM

Jan 2014
Open-Dice said:

A big, stupid robot.

But explosions!

Seriously though, it depends on the anime. Every genre will have good or bad examples. For me Slice of Life is far worse because it is just so absolutely boring. I don't see how people can watch series where nothing out of the ordinary happens. It's like watching paint dry.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 7, 2014 5:38 PM

Sep 2012
Because most mecha is shit

There are a few exceptions though, such as Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic, and to a lesser extent (person opinion inc.) Code Geass.

But none of those shows focus specifically on the mecha aspect. They are pretty well-rounded shows, even with their mostly minor flaws.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 7, 2014 5:43 PM

Apr 2007
bunny_lover said:
ona said:
bunny_lover said:

Yes this is true but not what I meant. Most mecha anime takes place in the space and have all the advanced technology and such. If it is not well-executed, it is hard for audience to suspend our disbelief.

Most mecha anime try to be like Gundam (not saying gundam is bad) or something that is very science fiction like. However, if you have a very mediocre plot then the anime would seem childish and unrealistic, which would produce bad results. On the other hand, if a slice-of-life or romance (something that has normal everyday setting) story only have a mediocre plot, then at least it would seem more realistic than the mecha genre.

You should have explained yourself earlier, because I agree with this. Stuff like Gundam gives you pseudo-scientific explanations like - "oh yes, giant robots are powered by Minovsky particles, which are a bla bla bla..." as opposed to Gurren Lagann, which goes "giant robots are powered by WILLPOWER AND MANLINESS, FUCK LOGIC, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER"
Jan 7, 2014 5:46 PM

Feb 2010
RedRoseFring said:
Open-Dice said:

A big, stupid robot.

But explosions!

Seriously though, it depends on the anime. Every genre will have good or bad examples. For me Slice of Life is far worse because it is just so absolutely boring. I don't see how people can watch series where nothing out of the ordinary happens. It's like watching paint dry.

Moe is not a daily part of my life, so something out of the ordinary does happen. Plus there are s-o-l series with out of the ordinary stuff happening (Master Keaton, Gallery Fake) and that doesn't even include the ones with fantasy, sci-fi or supernatural settings :P
Mechas are always robots though. It don't matter how awesome the characters of the show could be, as soon as they're fighting all you see is similar-looking robots and lasers and the newest model winning. Generalizing of course, but I'm mostly talking about those shows where mecha isn't just one of the genres, but where it's THE genre of the anime and if there are others they are all incorporated into the mecha formula instead of coexisting in symbiosis to make up a decent story.
Jan 7, 2014 5:46 PM

Jan 2014
Other than TTGL, there hasn't been any really good mecha anime for quite some time I believe.
Jan 7, 2014 5:50 PM

Sep 2012
DYRE said:
Korrvo said:
But none of those shows focus specifically on the mecha aspect.

How many shows actually do though? Even in Gundam, the mecha are all pretty much functionally identical to spaceships or tanks or whatever, and it's actually just a military drama that happens to have sci-fi stuff.
I sorta meant the sci-fi explanations of that stuff and politics to be "mecha stuff."

It's basically me saying that the good mecha shows only have mecha as just an addition to the show instead of being the selling point of the show itself.

Like with the three I mentioned, the thought of mecha doesn't really immediately come to mind for me aside from FMP, and that's mostly just because of the name.

Instead, I'm thinking:

Gurren Lagann = manliness, willpower, inspiration, yoko tits, etc.

FMP = Slapstick comedy, popcorn worthy characters, military warfare

Code Geass = Mind fuckage, politics, taking over the world, supernatural powers

To answer your question I'm not actually sure because these are pretty much the only 3 mecha shows I have watched, and the only one I plan to watch after this is Evangelion.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 7, 2014 5:51 PM

Feb 2010
DYRE said:
Korrvo said:
But none of those shows focus specifically on the mecha aspect.

How many shows actually do though? Even in Gundam, the mecha are all pretty much functionally identical to spaceships or tanks or whatever, and it's actually just a military drama that happens to have sci-fi stuff. And super robot stuff is basically shouneny action stuff but with giant people instead of regular-sized people.

Yeah, Gundam would be that kind of show but the mechas just make the fights boring and it gets worse the longer the show lasts with all that NewType crap and 'better models' just pwning the entirety of older models. Only seen the original and I liked the military aspects and some of the characters, but the mecha aspect really dragged it down to genericness for me :/

And I agree about your second statement, but as I said before I just don't see the appeal of having the same kind of battle power in every battle shounen, which is basically what mecha comes down to. Instead of Katanas, Devils Fruits and Ninjitsu you have Mecha, slightly different mecha, and not-that-different mecha in terms of battle variations. Imagine every shounen hero having the Gomu Gomu power, it would just feel repetitive.
Jan 7, 2014 5:52 PM
Jun 2013
I think the anime culture as a whole looks at this subject of "genre" in the opposite manner. In some animes, "Mecha" is a means of transportation, in others a mode of warfare. In some the "Mecha" are alive so to speak. I think personally, it is a rather worthless title. Here; this is a better perspective. Do you label something romantic, just because it has vague or hints of relationships of sorts in it? You wouldn't label an anime "Tanka" if it had tanks in it would you? Someone please, please prove to me we need to have "mecha" be a label of genre.

PS: I do understand though, some shows are very dedicated to the "mecha" aspect, but wouldn't reading a simple synopsis or review substitute better than a simple slap of "Mecha"
Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible.
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
Jan 7, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
I enjoy watching mecha anime every now and then, but I agree to this:
Sourire said:
Most of it is awful.. bad writing, etc.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 7, 2014 6:14 PM

Jun 2007
It's not my favorite genre (that would probably be "action romance fanservice comedies animated by JC Staff and featuring tsundere loli female leads voiced by Rie Kugimiya" lol), but it's not one I'll automatically discount, either.

NoSurrender1690 said:
and if they do its not good mecha [ i can say that cuse the amount iv watched i can say what is the cream]
So what are the best mecha o wise guru, and did any of them air after 1997?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jan 7, 2014 6:37 PM
Mar 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:
jal90 said:
I try to figure out if I like it or not, but it seems every damn mecha entry I get is either an over-the-top parody or a genre deconstruction.

Probably futile telling you this, and I'm no mecha fan, but over-the-top parody would be super robot. You want to look for real-robot things. Maybe.

another one who falis history

super robot is older than real robot by almost 20 years depening on what you call the first super Robot well i dont put that high but there you go

saying all super robot anime is over the top is like call al super heros over the top

Ratohnhaketon said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
and if they do its not good mecha [ i can say that cuse the amount iv watched i can say what is the cream]

What is the cream of this mechanical crop, mobile suit pilot Date?

eva is noy a mecha in the context peole are using there its there cyberntic nt robotic
------
Might Gain[ im rewacthing this ot get me in the mood for Tokyuuja nod to all the sentai fans here]
Zeta gundam
Escflone
J Decker
Turn A Gundam
X Gundam
Gundam 0079
Astrogegar
Raijin O
Macross[ eventhough iv always though of this a more of space Opera with Super Robot Thew ]
Giant Robo[ wathc both live action and anime]
Tetsujin 28 go Gray aera wearh to call this a Robot anime cuse its over al oddness in compare with any thing else in the genre]
------------
i woukd add more but sense id add more mecha bur not robot shows]

Mecha = shortern form of mechanized hence why in this context EVA should not be call a Mecha [ yes im a sci fi otaku] there is huge differnace between Cybernetic and Robotic
abnd EVAs are cybernetical in nature cuase there alive robots do not have seitiant thought thay are just there silent till piloted

calling eva a mecha is like calling Kamen rider a mecha for example
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 7, 2014 6:58 PM

Apr 2010
Most mecha are average from what I've seen. Plus, I got over big robots when I was young, but if the story is really good then I'll watch it regardless. A good anime is a good anime.
Jan 7, 2014 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
Korrvo said:
Because most mecha is shit

There are a few exceptions though, such as Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic, and to a lesser extent (person opinion inc.) Code Geass.

But none of those shows focus specifically on the mecha aspect. They are pretty well-rounded shows, even with their mostly minor flaws.

Implying others do? That's such a ridiculous misconception. Clearly you haven't watched Gundam, Macross, or Eva.
Jan 7, 2014 7:14 PM

Sep 2012
Ya I just said that
Jan 7, 2014 7:22 PM

Dec 2012
Plissken said:
No description needed. The title says it all.

Because most Mecha use the suit as the main focus of the story. Or, they copy exact themes and attitudes from shows that pioneered the industry (Giant Robo, Gundam, Eva). Most shows with mecha shouldn't be defined by it. Code Geass felt that way at times. "Oh look, my robot has super powers that unlock when I become unlocked as a human pilot! GOGO ROBO FIST!"

I mean, TTGL had a lot of cool stuff in it, but it kind of tricked you into thinking it was good, didn't it? Seperate the mecha, and you have a ghastly piss-poor story about a little boy's desperate struggle to be cool like his dead idol who meets a princess, and take away the story, and you have Power Rangers fighting evil bad guys in white suits.

Mobile Suit Gundam (the original) started going down the path of nonsense with the psychic-pilot arc, for example. Before that, it was very watchable! I just felt zero sense of struggle when fighting happened...
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Jan 7, 2014 7:31 PM

Apr 2010
Because people watch mecha anime solely for the robots, obviously.
Jan 7, 2014 7:33 PM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
It's not my favorite genre (that would probably be "action romance fanservice comedies animated by JC Staff and featuring tsundere loli female leads voiced by Rie Kugimiya" lol), but it's not one I'll automatically discount, either.

NoSurrender1690 said:

no cuase the genre has been dead for years very dak times for fans of the genre
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 7, 2014 7:37 PM

Feb 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
Zalis said:

NoSurrender1690 said:

Disagree. I found Gasaraki quite enjoyable as it didn't try to shove giant robots in my face and instead took a slightly more "possible" approach to mecha...minus the supernatural shit.

And surprise surprise...it was made by Sunrise.
Jan 7, 2014 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
It all boils down to opinion, I persoanlly don't care for them much, but I don't have anything bad to say about them.
Jan 7, 2014 7:41 PM

Feb 2012
Korrvo said:
Ya I just said that

Examples, reason?
Jan 7, 2014 7:44 PM
Mar 2011
Ntad said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Zalis said:

NoSurrender1690 said:

Disagree. I found Gasaraki quite enjoyable as it didn't try to shove giant robots in my face and instead took a slightly more "possible" approach to mecha...minus the supernatural shit.

indugle me if you wil

Compare star driver to dunbine fo exmaple what tell he better story [ i the looks of the bots in both] so it scome to story to me and dunbine wins

compare
0800 to valvrave see what i mean

Jan 7, 2014 7:44 PM

Dec 2012
Korrvo said:
Because most mecha is shit... such as Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic, and to a lesser extent (person opinion inc.) Code Geass

That is correct, PBCS Korrvo-san, those are all bad anime. I wouldn't put Full Metal Panic in the same group as TTGL and Geass though... I mean, Full Metal Panic is some bad stuff.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» when was the last time you truly fell in love with a character and vice versa?

ame - 5 hours ago

14 by boglord »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you put any self-imposed restrictions onto yourself when making your favorites lists?

JKKH - Apr 13

31 by Shirayukin »»
17 minutes ago

» What's a scene from an anime that you wish you could re-experience for the first time?

bucciest - 6 hours ago

12 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
24 minutes ago

» Eiichiro Oda and Toei Animation have been keeping a huge secret.

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

3 by Catalano »»
42 minutes ago

» So we gotta talk about Ono Kensho...

ZeroMajor12 - 51 minutes ago

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.