Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 26, 2023 1:58 PM

Jul 2015
I can't believe that right after finishing the Pluto manga, anime adaptation has been announced subsequently and first episode was amazing. I hope it can reach the popularity it deserves.
Oct 26, 2023 1:58 PM

Mar 2021
That was pretty damn good. The production is incredible, no wonder it took 7 years to be made.

The story itself shows promise. The robot-human dynamic will surely lead to interesting character developments.

This really felt like a movie, not just because of it's length, but also the way everything is directed. Kudos to Masao Maruyama.

Oct 26, 2023 2:00 PM

Mar 2019
Simply wonderful, best first episode of 2023 (I'm telling it for you oshi no ko, hehe I teased for free), what a great time to be alive!
Oct 26, 2023 2:45 PM

Aug 2015
I really liked the second half. The cgi cars are putting me off though
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Oct 26, 2023 2:46 PM
Jan 2022
Excellent so far. Not sure if it will be my AOTY yet but I’m hopeful!
Oct 26, 2023 2:48 PM
Jul 2020
@Ricky16 GoGo Anime. All episodes are there.
Oct 26, 2023 3:21 PM

Aug 2020
APolygons2 said:
Bruh i am either missing your point or this is a bad joke.
i don't joke when it comes to criticizing anime. You should know that by now.

APolygons2 said:
Please tell me you are not complaining about the visuals in THIS of all things.
yes i AM complaining this type of visuals. Rather than "good" animation this is more just "flash and gloss".

APolygons2 said:
Please tell me we aren't at a point where no matter how award worthy a show's visuals are, some people will think its bad.
did i say it was bad?

neffst3r said:
"And as i expected even the 2003 Astro Boy looked better." lmao
Must be baiting.
wow what an atypically good response.

More than that, what pisses me off about how you guys responded was you go on assuming things "oh this is joke, this is bait" and generalizes me as another "bad animation" complainant instead of ACTUALLY addressing my original statement. I mentioned Astro Boy 2003 and neither of you touched upon that.
Oct 26, 2023 3:54 PM

Feb 2012
Readers and characters who interpret the laws of robotics seem to neglect that the prohibition of making AI that can kill humans doesn't preclude it, and I don't mean the creator breaking the law, but, just that an AI could still kill a human through negligence or unforeseen circumstances. In reality, they would not work and good stories explore the loopholes and consequences, but suppose such laws existed, being regulations for manufacturers would make the most sense to me. No way could there be laws for the robots themselves written in natural language.

Side note: Do any Tezuka fans here know if he ever talked about Asimov? There are many sci-fi works exploring the relationship between AI and humans but it's interesting to me that both authors came up with their own list of Laws of Robotics.

North No. 2, a robot with PTSD comes to serve a reclusive composer struggling to create a new piece and moans at night from nightmares. Despite being a robot, North No. 2 goes to great lengths to find the tune for Paul, uncovering the truth about what terrorizes him in his sleep.
The unlicensed Japanese doctor who operated on Paul Duncan was Blackjack, right? Paul is regarded as past his prime by filmmakers who only, want to use his existing scores for movies, not a new piece.
Soon after Paul is approved to be his piano tutor, the murderer of beloved Mont Blanc and a robot rights activist comes to fight the war veteran.

In Japan, Gesicht meets Atom in the rain.
Fortress_MaximusOct 27, 2023 1:01 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 26, 2023 4:11 PM
May 2022
I read the manga this year so I was looking forward to this. They really did the North #2 section justice and that was my favorite part of the manga. Looking forward to how they do the rest.
Oct 26, 2023 4:27 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Fortress_Maximus
Readers and characters who interpret the laws of robotics seem to neglect that the prohibition of making AI that can kill humans doesn't preclude it, and I don't mean the creator breaking the law, but, just that an AI could still kill a human through negligence or unforeseen circumstances. In reality, they would not work and good stories explore the loopholes and consequences, but suppose such laws existed, being regulations for manufacturers would make the most sense to me. No way could there be laws for the robots themselves written in natural language.

Side note: Do any Tezuka fans here know if he ever talked about Asimov? There are many sci-fi works exploring the relationship between AI and humans but it's interesting to me that both authors came up with their own list of Laws of Robotics.

North No. 2, a robot with PTSD comes to serve a reclusive composer struggling to create a new piece and moans at night from nightmares. Despite being a robot, North No. 2 goes to great lengths to find the tune for Paul, uncovering the truth about what terrorizes him in his sleep.
The unlicensed Japanese doctor who operated on Paul Duncan was Blackjack, right? Paul is regarded as past his prime by filmmakers who only, want to use his existing scores for movies, not a new piece.
Soon after Paul is approved to be his piano tutor, the murderer of beloved Mont Blanc and a robot rights activist comes to fight the war veteran.

In Japan, Gesicht meets Atom in the rain.
Fortress_Maximus said:
The unlicensed Japanese doctor that operated on Paul Duncan was Blackjack, right?
Bingo! I always thought that was a neat little detail.
Oct 26, 2023 5:22 PM
Jun 2021
holy shit, perfect adaptation, north no. 2 was a beautifully written character
Oct 26, 2023 5:24 PM
Jun 2021
neffst3r said:
AOTY.
Urasawa's writing is so complex, most people won't even notice this is an ASTRO BOY story.

unless they had read the pluto arc in the original manga, tbh the changes are subtle in his version, most of it boils down to much better art, gesecht being the focal character and him being more fleshed out and the dialouge not holding back on the grittyness of the mighty atum
Oct 26, 2023 5:27 PM
Jun 2021
J1NNX said:
@deg Elitism? Since when did calling something not visually appealing become Elitism?
I just said it looked ugly compared to the Netflix subs

these people think that encouraging the support of the creators of art is elitism too, ignore them
Oct 26, 2023 5:50 PM

Oct 2019
Bit hesitant on this studio but the animation has been pretty damn good. Nothing mindblowing but a great production I believe. I did not know where this second half would lead but man, what a surprise. And we now meet Atom as well
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 26, 2023 8:03 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to nishant0
Pluto is my 3rd fav work by Urasawa after Monster and 20CB, but the episode felt little bit underwhelming maybe because I know what's gonna happen. The North story really caught me off guard when I was reading the manga, nevertheless great episode but under my expectation.
Still not sure about I'm gonna continue it or not, I loved the manga and I'm actually satisfied the way I consumed this story, so I don't really feel like that I need to watch its anime too.

I can't stop thinking the whole time while watching the episode about how amazing the 20CB would be with this level of animation...

Episode - 4/5
@nishant0 that's why i like putting friends on and watching with them when i check out an adaptation of a story i already read. i get to see it come to life while enjoying someone's fresh reaction and they're free to watch the rest alone

will be watching all of this tho since i watched first episode with my gf

as for rankings, i do like 20cb and monster's hook (and monster's ending) better than pluto, but i think pluto is his best-paced work, 20cb/monster kinda meander at times. i watched some of monster with a friend and while i appreciated the anime's panel-by-panel faithfulness, i vastly preferred reading it myself. i suspect i'd feel the same with a 20cb anime but i'd still be seated along with any potential Asadora and Billy Bat adaptation
Oct 26, 2023 8:13 PM

Apr 2022
been waiting for this for a while and it didn't disappoint. from the 3 urasawa works i've consumed, this is definitely my least favorite but not by a longshot. i've also forgotten some of the events of the manga so this was a solid refresher. pretty accurate adaptation so far so i can't tell whether i prefer this or the manga so far. really liking the visuals and ost, hope the rest of this adaptation is just as good. we reached the north 2 and duncan arc quicker than i expected though and for some reason, i remember feeling more emotional during the stuff with robby's wife in the manga but ay, this is still pretty good.
Oct 26, 2023 8:54 PM
Aug 2022
guys If you have netflix, try watching in German dub, it feels really natural compared to other languages. The voice actors nailed it
Oct 26, 2023 9:58 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
APolygons2 said:
Bruh i am either missing your point or this is a bad joke.
i don't joke when it comes to criticizing anime. You should know that by now.

APolygons2 said:
Please tell me you are not complaining about the visuals in THIS of all things.
yes i AM complaining this type of visuals. Rather than "good" animation this is more just "flash and gloss".

APolygons2 said:
Please tell me we aren't at a point where no matter how award worthy a show's visuals are, some people will think its bad.
did i say it was bad?

neffst3r said:
"And as i expected even the 2003 Astro Boy looked better." lmao
Must be baiting.
wow what an atypically good response.

More than that, what pisses me off about how you guys responded was you go on assuming things "oh this is joke, this is bait" and generalizes me as another "bad animation" complainant instead of ACTUALLY addressing my original statement. I mentioned Astro Boy 2003 and neither of you touched upon that.
@TRC_Randy

your statement was very short so you can't blame others for having the slightly off interpertation.

the reason it seems like you called the visuals "bad" is because of your wording.

specifically because you used the word "even".

let me give you the extreme example.

"i was disappointed by the art, even the berserk manga has better art than it"

when you say it likr that, it seems like you are saying the visuals of both things are bad, and this is the even worse one out of the two.

now, that you have given a bit more reasonining, i will disagree while adressing those reasons.

TRC_Randy said:
yes i AM complaining this type of visuals. Rather than "good" animation this is more just "flash and gloss

this would be arguable if the animation itself wasn't godly.

this is not a flash over animation kind of case.

it has both. some scenes have comparable level of 2d animation to AKIRA. its not masking the lack of animation with effects. it has both, and uses both extremely well.

so saying "rather than good animation" is just not true.

even if you took away all the affects and gloss, this still would be one of the best looking shows this year. those stuff are just extra flair that make it even better looking.

so much that based on that 1 episode alone i could confidently call it the best looking none movie anime i have seen.

it has everything.

top tier bacground art

extremely good use of CGI and effects

and unholy amounts of 2d animation

doing one of these things alone would be enough for me to call a shows visuals great. but pluto has all 3.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 26, 2023 10:12 PM
Aug 2020
Beautiful. Masterpiece.
Oct 26, 2023 10:38 PM
Jul 2014
Black Jack voiced by Akio Otsuka it's so badass!
Oct 26, 2023 10:46 PM

Oct 2015
Reply to FMmatron
So much time passed since the announcement, I didn't even know it was airing. Had only a peek at it and it already looks like anime of the season.

Yeah, the entire episode had me glued to the screen. Was anxious during the Duncan and North.2 part. Was hoping it could end on a happy note, yet that wouldn't make as much sense as North.2 becoming a victim of Pluto as well. That was an impactful story.

Animation style during the confronation with the junky was pretty interesting.

Don't really care about how this is based on Astro Boy aside from thinking "oh cool" lol.
@FMmatron
mashallah my brother
first ep was legit peak
i cried
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Oct 27, 2023 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
You can tell right away that this is Urasawa's style, good impression with the animation. Great first episode altogether! Thoroughly enjoyed.
Oct 27, 2023 1:11 AM

May 2018
I have mixed feelings about this first episode. There's some good, some bad and some ugly [3D CGI] in it. And this comes from a person who is the last to complain about 3D CGI.

The production looks quite expensive (in comparison to your regular TV anime), but uneven at places and has some random mismatching elements, especially when 3D CGI is involved.
The best and the more consistent part was the one with North 2 and the old composer, but only if we ignore the war flashback which was horrible.
Than the robot detective scenes in some places had insanely detailed backgrounds and kind of flat less detailed foregrounds with a bit of a different coloring. Concurrently we also had the opposite - less detailed backgrounds, great foregrounds.
The animation went from messy to carefully rotoscoped.
Usually I wouldn't talk about the above - productions of that caliber and for this exact streaming service tend to have delays and other problems, but people kept praising it... Yes, it has its moments, but it's very far from perfect.

About the world, the story and the characters.
People should be aware that the plot is taking place in the Tezuka-verse - this is why the sci-fi rules are a bit wonky and the technology doesn't make sense at places. It's retrofuturism. And the writing is very typical for Urasawa - absolutely great characterizations, but forcefully putted in the most inconvenient places (Can we have smoother transitions or something?). I really hated this exact thing in Monster, but I think 20th Century Boys handles those better.

So my mind wasn't blown, but I am kind of intrigued and the show is watchable. Will continue with those almost movie size episodes one by one.
alshuOct 27, 2023 4:06 AM
Oct 27, 2023 2:47 AM
Nov 2022
what a beautiful episode , the season half really won my heart 💖 . North no. 2 really a kind person ( basically a robot but having such personality made him even better than humans ) .
I'm loving it , the rollercoaster of emotions :)
Second half really sweated my eyes and overshadowed the first half

some times animation is not good but I don't care until it annoys me , they are providing good animation in required scenes that's enough

The mixing of 2 episode time and giving an 1 hour episode is best decision..
Oct 27, 2023 3:19 AM
Oct 2023
Amazing dramatic and very emotional and deep
Oct 27, 2023 6:22 AM
Feb 2015
That old man and North 2 relationship was heart touching. Let's play piano recital
Oct 27, 2023 7:14 AM

Aug 2020
APolygons2 said:
your statement was very short so you can't blame others for having the slightly off interpertation.
i'll do you one better; how about the one interpreting who should've asked the short statementer what he actually meant by his short words FIRST before making any hasty interpretations?

APolygons2 said:
the reason it seems like you called the visuals "bad" is because of your wording.

but i neither used Berserk nor the anime equivalent to it tho. Berserk's reputation with its art is enough for anyone even if they HAVEN'T read it to raise their eyebrows to such claims.

NOT with Astro Boy.
Does it have Berserk's reputation? No.
More importantly, have you watched it? No.
MOST importantly, did you address it? NO.

So all in all using Berserk as the analogy is irrelevant itfp.

Sorry if this sounds like scolding you. The point i'm tryna make with it is that i have more right to get angry after having been misunderstood compared to you complaining about my comment being too short.

APolygons2 said:
no i didn't mean it that way.

Look, generally speaking Pluto's animation is indeed good by today's standards. I'll praise it that much. That's one.

Two, what i meant by "flash and gloss" is the sparks/flashes flying through, away or by during fast paced scene like in Gesicht vs drug guy encounter, and how the ridges and edges of the objects particularly in the background during slower or static scenes look like oiled, gloss-coloured plastics. Like literally, all you need to do is replay the ep and pause some frames randomly and you'll see the noticeable shininess in most if not every single one of them.

Granted, this is a recurring thing among anime from 2012 onwards. Just one of the downsides of digital animation sadly (Mob Psycho, Devilman Crybaby, Ping Pong etc wanna have a word with that) but my problem with Pluto is the fact they're WAY too noticeable sth i had already doubted when we first talked about this show a few months back.

APolygons2 said:
some scenes have comparable level of 2d animation to AKIRA.
Akira is a 1988 movie (as old as literaturenerd) drawn on sheets of papers so i don't think it's a fair comparison. Even if it is that just says how impressive AKIRA is not Pluto.

APolygons2 said:
even if you took away all the affects and gloss, this still would be one of the best looking shows this year.
NOT when you consider this is a Netflix ONA series that had 6 years to develop (more than MAPPA had with CSM) with freaking Masao Maruyama behind it. Tengoku Daimakyou should win that if you ask me.

APolygons2 said:
so much that based on that 1 episode alone i could confidently call it the best looking none movie anime i have seen.
sorry no.

APolygons2 said:
it has everything.

top tier bacground art
i consider "art" separate from animation. "Art" in my book is basically when you pause the non fast-paced scenes and remove the colours. Pure drawing you could say and the still image you get is "art", the rest is "animation".

APolygons2 said:
Lotgh DNT (2018), Stand Alone Complex and Sentou Yousei Yukikaze (2002), etc already did that before.

APolygons2 said:
"a lot" yes not sure about "unholy".

Before i end i wanna get a bit into the aforementioned Astro Boy. I watched the 2003 adaptation, non-blu ray/remastered version whatsoever, just the raw completed product, in 480p, and it looked like this

Despite that being the OP the in-scene animation quality looks literally the same and consistently throughout, with like half of the OP itself includes literally IN-SCENE clips.

Without spoiling the show for you that's as far as i go in terms of pure animation quality. Back to Pluto, there's another issue. Despite it being an alternate more mature seinen adaptation of the original Astro Boy by Tezuka, the aesthetics is simply lacking. Compared to the 2003 show as well as two other anime closest to it, one being Metropolis (2001) which is yet ANOTHER Tezuka adaptation (by Madhouse on top of that), and ofc Monster, Pluto's animation is sorely missing the dark and gritty natures it should've had. Instead it's too bright and i don't mean that in a wise sense.

Hell, i didn't even have to go far into the classics. We've had Tengoku Daimakyou and the airing JJK2 recently. Even those two are well-darkened.
Oct 27, 2023 7:51 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread cleaned, please don't ask where the episode can be watched/downloaded.
Oct 27, 2023 8:07 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
APolygons2 said:
i'll do you one better; how about the one interpreting who should've asked the short statementer what he actually meant by his short words FIRST before making any hasty interpretations?

APolygons2 said:

but i neither used Berserk nor the anime equivalent to it tho. Berserk's reputation with its art is enough for anyone even if they HAVEN'T read it to raise their eyebrows to such claims.

NOT with Astro Boy.

Sorry if this sounds like scolding you. The point i'm tryna make with it is that i have more right to get angry after having been misunderstood compared to you complaining about my comment being too short.

APolygons2 said:
no i didn't mean it that way.

Look, generally speaking Pluto's animation is indeed good by today's standards. I'll praise it that much. That's one.

Two, what i meant by "flash and gloss" is the sparks/flashes flying through, away or by during fast paced scene like in Gesicht vs drug guy encounter, and how the ridges and edges of the objects particularly in the background during slower or static scenes look like oiled, gloss-coloured plastics. Like literally, all you need to do is replay the ep and pause some frames randomly and you'll see the noticeable shininess in most if not every single one of them.

Granted, this is a recurring thing among anime from 2012 onwards. Just one of the downsides of digital animation sadly (Mob Psycho, Devilman Crybaby, Ping Pong etc wanna have a word with that) but my problem with Pluto is the fact they're WAY too noticeable sth i had already doubted when we first talked about this show a few months back.

APolygons2 said:
some scenes have comparable level of 2d animation to AKIRA.
Akira is a 1988 movie (as old as literaturenerd) drawn on sheets of papers so i don't think it's a fair comparison. Even if it is that just says how impressive AKIRA is not Pluto.

APolygons2 said:
even if you took away all the affects and gloss, this still would be one of the best looking shows this year.
NOT when you consider this is a Netflix ONA series that had 6 years to develop (more than MAPPA had with CSM) with freaking Masao Maruyama behind it. Tengoku Daimakyou should win that if you ask me.

APolygons2 said:
sorry no.

APolygons2 said:
it has everything.

top tier bacground art
i consider "art" separate from animation. "Art" in my book is basically when you pause the non fast-paced scenes and remove the colours. Pure drawing you could say and the still image you get is "art", the rest is "animation".

APolygons2 said:
Lotgh DNT (2018), Stand Alone Complex and Sentou Yousei Yukikaze (2002), etc already did that before.

APolygons2 said:
"a lot" yes not sure about "unholy".

Before i end i wanna get a bit into the aforementioned Astro Boy. I watched the 2003 adaptation, non-blu ray/remastered version whatsoever, just the raw completed product, in 480p, and it looked like this

Despite that being the OP the in-scene animation quality looks literally the same and consistently throughout, with like half of the OP itself includes literally IN-SCENE clips.

Without spoiling the show for you that's as far as i go in terms of pure animation quality. Back to Pluto, there's another issue. Despite it being an alternate more mature seinen adaptation of the original Astro Boy by Tezuka, the aesthetics is simply lacking. Compared to the 2003 show as well as two other anime closest to it, one being Metropolis (2001) which is yet ANOTHER Tezuka adaptation (by Madhouse on top of that), and ofc Monster, Pluto's animation is sorely missing the dark and gritty natures it should've had. Instead it's too bright and i don't mean that in a wise sense.

Hell, i didn't even have to go far into the classics. We've had Tengoku Daimakyou and the airing JJK2 recently. Even those two are well-darkened.
TRC_Randy said:

NOT with Astro Boy.

Berserk was just the example to show how it sounds like your saying both are bad.

"Saying Y is even worse than X" implies, X is bad, and Y is worse than it.

The Y could have been anything, berserk, astro boy, a potato with a weird mole on it....

Saying "even worse" implies both are bad.

which is what made me assume you are saying the animation is bad. It was your wording.

TRC_Randy said:

The thing is, I don't think I said anything that bad. If I offended you I apologize but that wasn't my goal. I had watched the episode being completely stunned by everything about it, then saw your comment saying the visuals that I was having my mouth water over was disappointing and (by what I thought was implied) bad. so I was surprised.

Take into the consideration that these days people have been complaining about the animation of everything and how good it is, and you can see how I was passionately baffled.

but like, again, the rudest thing I said was "please tell me you're joking"

Like I didn't say anything bad. which is why I thought, If I'm wrong with my assumption, it would be fine. you would correct me like you did. I have a hard time understanding what why my comment being slightly hasty would matter. At worst it was just some banter.

again, I was passionate, and VERY surprised that anyone would complain about the animation HERE of all places.

TRC_Randy said:

Here's the thing.... I don't think it matters.

What I care about is "how good something looks" period.

Is akira more impressive because cell animation is just generally harder to do?

Maybe, but how much work into something to me does not equate to how good it is. Pluto's 2d at times, is still detailed movement at a stupidly high frame rate. That to me is why AKIRA looks good.

If someone spend a 100 years making something that looks bad, It would be impressive, but I wouldn't say that impressiveness makes it look "better".

So, while yes, akira IS more impressive, I don't think that inherently makes what I was trying to say wrong, like, at all.

I could debate this, but Ultimately, in art "best" is subjective.

It would be possible for someone to convince another something is great. But "best" will always be subjective. So, yes, no, doesn't really matter. that's just what I thought.

TRC_Randy said:

ok, again, why would that matter?

I'm talking about the final product, not how good the said product is relative to how to how it came out...

If they somehow made this in a year, sure, once again, it would be more impressive, but the product itself wouldn't be better!

TRC_Randy said:

well yeah obviously, pluto is not the only show that does this well.

I just meant it does it well. not that it invented doing this or something like that.

TRC_Randy said:

That Is very understandable reasoning for why you don't love the visuals as much as I do.

but look at it this way....

I actually don't even see that as a problem. For an issue to be an issue when it comes to how good something looks, it has to either:

1. be an error

or

2. Look bad

and the second case in particular can be pretty subjective. I actually don't mind the gloss and shine that you talk about at all. I also love the cell animation.

but the gloss common in digital gives shows a more clean look. which sometimes depending on the tone, can work better. I would say for something like monster, cell animation works way better. but pluto? A sci-fi with so much digital aesthetic? I actually think it matches the vibe of the show. there was never a moment where it took me out of it.

TRC_Randy said:

That's fair, I was talking about the visuals in general.

But you're right, if we go by animation alone, this year alone there are shows that could potentially match or surpass.

what I find so impressive about pluto's production is that, on an audio visual level, everything is top notch. maybe not be the single best at every area.

but it is comparable to the best at all of them.

TRC_Randy said:

Yeah, that looks great.

It was again, just your wording that made me think you're calling both bad.

as I talked about earlier I think the bright aesthetic works for pluto. It wouldn't work for monster, but I think it works great for pluto.

Reason being that, based on episode 1, pluto doesn't feel like a dark world. Futuristic shows just lean into being bright and digital. and the counter some people have to make the atmosphere darker, is to make the story take place mostly at night or something similar like in akudama drive. but even then they still use vibrant colors.

like, I would ask myself, would I like pluto more, if the collor pallet was closer to ghost in the shell or akira? and the answer is honestly no, I prefer it to be this bright for pluto in particular.

which, again, this point in particular is pretty much fully a taste thing.

I'm sure if 2 versions of pluto existed. one as it is, and another that looked closer to monster, people would argue over which style fits the story more.

Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 27, 2023 8:58 AM

Sep 2015
Cried a river during North #2 part.
Oct 27, 2023 9:01 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to aburame_ernesto
Black Jack voiced by Akio Otsuka it's so badass!
@aburame_ernesto Another cool thing I looked into: Not only did Otsuka reprise his role as Black Jack, Kirk Thornton, Black Jack's voice actor from the 90's OVAs, reprised his roll as well. I thought that was so neat!
TomatogalOct 27, 2023 9:08 AM
Oct 27, 2023 9:02 AM

Jun 2021
It was rather emotional, that piano scene with North #2 telling the old man about the truth. A good start and I gotta say, it will be worth it one hour per episode.
Oct 27, 2023 2:00 PM
Oct 2023
Where can I find the song that North #2 sings before he dies?
Oct 27, 2023 2:19 PM

Apr 2023
As many mentioned before, I read the manga like 7-8 years ago maybe? I barely remember the story, but this first episode, what ride.

I'm happy they were able to bring such a beautiful adaptation, hope the next episodes are equally as good if not better than this one.
Oct 27, 2023 2:44 PM

Jan 2015
Making me cry right from the first episode. Wasn’t expecting to get emotional from this one. I’m excited for the rest of the show and what’s it’s gonna bring to the table. The mystery so far is interesting and the animation is absolutely breathtaking
Oct 27, 2023 3:21 PM
Mar 2023
It was one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life.
Oct 27, 2023 4:00 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to PJ_FRAN
Where can I find the song that North #2 sings before he dies?
@PJ_FRAN

Apparently It's titled "Cherished Memories". The OST is by Yugo Kanno, and this track is by Showa Manabe & Yugo Kanno. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ1spK47Yqs
Oct 27, 2023 4:16 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to Mei-o_Scarlett
@FMmatron
mashallah my brother
first ep was legit peak
i cried
@Mei-o_Scarlett

Not quite, but it was bittersweet stuff :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2023 5:40 PM
Aug 2021
The frustrated musician part got me.
Oct 27, 2023 6:28 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to neffst3r
AOTY.
Urasawa's writing is so complex, most people won't even notice this is an ASTRO BOY story.
@neffst3r Yes, That's true,And that's what makes the anime so ingenious, because it's an Astro Boy story after all.(⁠☆⁠▽⁠☆⁠)
Oct 27, 2023 7:23 PM
Dec 2021
Anayan_Kashyap said:
FINALLY, THIS GOATED MANGA THAT PEOPLE DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT IS GETTING ADAPTATION, EVEN THO EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF IT'S NAME. Although it isn't the best work of Urasawa, but it's still his best "Adaptation".

BTW, I guess this is how UZUMAKI is gonna get treated....... since it's said to have only 4eps,, maybe each episode a bit more than an 1hr would do Justice.

I hope, 20th Century Boys gets an adaptation soon.

i would literally murder someone to get an honest 20th Century Boys adaptation, especially if it was carefully coordinated like Pluto seems to be so far!! PLZ anime gods & powers that be, adapt 20th Century Boys!!!!!!
Oct 27, 2023 8:21 PM
Aug 2021
This feels so 80's. I love it
Oct 27, 2023 9:31 PM
Oct 2023
MASTERPIECE , amazing it has a great potential
Oct 27, 2023 10:39 PM

Oct 2013
Wow, very epic start of this show, with many scenes full of suspense and emotions. I could fully enjoy it even though I'm not familiar with Astro Boy that much (well, almost not at all - I only know its culture significance to the anime industry, that's all).

The whole episode presented high production quality. Audio, visuals, direction - everything was polished and resembled more something you can see in animated movies, rather than in episodic series. Brilliant approach to how high quality series should look like.

This episode's length (over 1h) allowed the story to be told fully and in high quality, without unnecessary compromises coming from dividing it into several standard length episodes.
Oct 28, 2023 1:04 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Amazing first episode!!
Intense and very well captured!!

A misterious arround society mixed human and robots, but robots seems how humans in all aspects, except they are more curious!!!

kekeke
Oct 28, 2023 1:17 AM

Jan 2019
I absolutely adore the the North #2 and Paul Duncan part of this episode. Beautiful.
Oct 28, 2023 5:03 AM

Dec 2008
Reply to deg
@Tishues all episodes are already out on netflix and torrent

but im gonna watch 1 episode per day so i will let others make the rest of the episode threads
@deg looking for a friend here. Do you have a torrent link? I can't find it ANYWHERE. I know it's on Netflix but I'm looking to torrent.
Oct 28, 2023 6:25 AM

Aug 2020
APolygons2 said:
no ofc not. The "even" doesn't necessarily mean "x bad" and "y worse". It could mean "overrated" or "not living up to its counterpart" or "this show itself looks good but its counterpart is simply goated" and on and on it goes. That's why i said it's a hasty interpretation. It ultimately depends on the context that the person is speaking in and for my case in case you're missing it by "even Astro Boy 2003 looked better" i meant that Pluto's animation despite having a veteran Maruyama producing it has such careless flaws (the flash and gloss thing), it didn't meet my expectations pure quality-wise, it didn't live up to its predecessor despite the 20 year gap, and it confirmed my doubts before that it's more "flashes" than actual "good animation" yet i see everyone hyping it and how i predicted that even Astro Boy would look better than it (the first time i made this comparison was somewhere in AD a week before it came out) from what the trailers showed me.

Where is "x bad, y worse" in that?

APolygons2 said:
sure it wasn't offensive or anything but this is the 2nd time you've used the "you gotta be joking" thing with me. The first one was in the MT's animation discussion couple months ago. I didn't expect to see you using it again.

APolygons2 said:
I don't think it matters.
hold on didn't you say
APolygons2 said:
you might wanna enlighten me a bit on this.

APolygons2 said:
would you say the battle shounen concept is good period?

APolygons2 said:

I just meant it does it well. not that it invented doing this or something like that.
no i'm just keeping the standards legit here bcoz you didn't just say "it does well" instead you said
APolygons2 said:
BUT, if you're merely saying "it does well" by that then fine. No issue with that.

APolygons2 said:
I actually don't even see that as a problem. For an issue to be an issue when it comes to how good something looks, it has to either:

1. be an error
well they stick out. That's the error.

APolygons2 said:
what I find so impressive about pluto's production is that, on an audio visual level, everything is top notch.
oof not the sound. I didn't find it adding anything at all. The soundtrack for example, they exist. They're not bothersome but neither do they evoke any emotions inside me or aesthetically good or whatever. Same thing with the sound fx. And visually speaking, some scene transitions i find too abrupt as if they were done by non-professionals. Then there's the characters having visions. You can look at it but nothing trippy.

APolygons2 said:
pluto doesn't feel like a dark world. Futuristic shows just lean into being bright and digital.
yeah i can agree Pluto not being the conventional "dark" at least. But expectedly it does get darker the longer it goes.
Oct 28, 2023 8:14 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
APolygons2 said:
no ofc not. The "even" doesn't necessarily mean "x bad" and "y worse". It could mean "overrated" or "not living up to its counterpart" or "this show itself looks good but its counterpart is simply goated" and on and on it goes. That's why i said it's a hasty interpretation. It ultimately depends on the context that the person is speaking in and for my case in case you're missing it by "even Astro Boy 2003 looked better" i meant that Pluto's animation despite having a veteran Maruyama producing it has such careless flaws (the flash and gloss thing), it didn't meet my expectations pure quality-wise, it didn't live up to its predecessor despite the 20 year gap, and it confirmed my doubts before that it's more "flashes" than actual "good animation" yet i see everyone hyping it and how i predicted that even Astro Boy would look better than it (the first time i made this comparison was somewhere in AD a week before it came out) from what the trailers showed me.

APolygons2 said:
sure it wasn't offensive or anything but this is the 2nd time you've used the "you gotta be joking" thing with me. The first one was in the MT's animation discussion couple months ago. I didn't expect to see you using it again.

APolygons2 said:
I don't think it matters.
hold on didn't you say
APolygons2 said:

APolygons2 said:
would you say the battle shounen concept is good period?

APolygons2 said:

no i'm just keeping the standards legit here bcoz you didn't just say "it does well" instead you said
APolygons2 said:
BUT, if you're merely saying "it does well" by that then fine. No issue with that.

APolygons2 said:

1. be an error

APolygons2 said:
what I find so impressive about pluto's production is that, on an audio visual level, everything is top notch.
oof not the sound. I didn't find it adding anything at all. The soundtrack for example, they exist. They're not bothersome but neither do they evoke any emotions inside me or aesthetically good or whatever. Same thing with the sound fx. And visually speaking, some scene transitions i find too abrupt as if they were done by non-professionals. Then there's the characters having visions. You can look at it but nothing trippy.

APolygons2 said:
pluto doesn't feel like a dark world. Futuristic shows just lean into being bright and digital.
yeah i can agree Pluto not being the conventional "dark" at least. But expectedly it does get darker the longer it goes.
TRC_Randy said:

I understand what you meant to say.

But commonly, when people say "even" worse, they mean both are bad.

The word even implies it. Which is why I misinterpreted it. but who cares. water under the bridge. it's a stupid misunderstanding it doesn't really matter, like at all

TRC_Randy said:

I actually don't even remember that, if I have said something similar months ago too, it's probably just because I use some phrases often I guess. It's the NPC part of my brain lol

but My reaction is purely out of shock. I think mushoku tensei also has extremely great animation, so it would make sense if I said something similar regarding that show too... not that I remember it. I can't even remember what I ate last night.

TRC_Randy said:

Sure, There is a trade off that movies have less time to tell a story or develop characters, but get higher budgets for their runtime instead.

So, a tv-show with movie quality visuals, is a particularly high praise, because it has movie quality visuals, AND more time than the movie to tell it's story.

So... I do actually hold to what I said about the "relative" quality not mattering.

That's just my perspective though, I'm not necessary saying that is the objectively right way to look at it.

TRC_Randy said:

Yeah, it does it, extremely well.

Extreme is high prasie, but it's not calling it the single best or saying it is the only show that did it that well.

A lot of things do a lot of things extremely well. I can name 10 more shows other than pluto on the spot that also blend CGI extremely well, from death parade, to 86 to attack on titan season 1 or hell even demon slayer.

Extremely well is just that, it doesn't mean the best. If it did mean the best, it would mean only a few exceptional things exists, and I don't believe that. there are countless pieces of media that do things extremely well or better. and even more pieces of media that do everything extremely bad lol

TRC_Randy said:

but I think it sticks out in a good way.

An error would be a mistake. this is clearly intentional.

that doesn't mean there aren't arguments for why it would and would not work. it is arguably a negative. but it's not there by mistake, which means it's not an error.

TRC_Randy said:

Hard disagree man, It's done by the dude who did the music for jojo, how could you say it's not great?

Pluto's theme specially gives me chills every damn time.

TRC_Randy said:

I mean, yeah, but even if that happens it would be a dark story in a bright futuristic world.

I mean cyberpunk edge runners was similar in that regard, and I don't think anyone would say it's bright visuals took away from it's darker moments.

APolygons2Oct 28, 2023 8:20 AM
Also available at:

Oct 28, 2023 11:00 AM
Dec 2020
Instant of blaming the robot why don't the people blame the robot company or the person who made the robot? Kind of fool question but isn't it obvious?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

80 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 5 Discussion

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

47 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 4 Discussion

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

47 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

watsym - Oct 26, 2023

57 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

62 by Sun_Chan »»
May 25, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.