Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 20, 2014 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
Fuck yeah Lunge, I missed him! I like this character a lot, even tough he does hit asshole territory. I almost wish he was right and Tenma was the killer.
Jan 31, 2015 10:55 PM

Nov 2013
HOLY SHIT WAS THIS EPISODE INTENSE!

Seeing Lunge slowly walk after Tenma in the mansion was creepy.

I seriously thought Lunge was going to die when the murderer stabbed him.

Watching Lunge squeeze that ball was creepy. Bet he would love to grope that nurse's boobs. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Epic episode. Probably the best episode in the series so far.

10/10 Glad we finally got to see more of Lunge. He's definitely starting to lose his sanity due to his obsession with killing Tenma. I wonder if he will ever realize that Johan is not Tenma's alter ego?
FunnyRatmanJan 31, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 12, 2015 5:00 PM

Mar 2013
What an episode ! Lunge, i liked him and i still like. İnteresting character and it's enjoyable to watch him. And he is intelligant of course. Tenma, Anna and Lunge are my favorite character so far.
SiyahFeb 12, 2015 5:10 PM
Feb 13, 2015 2:38 PM

Jul 2014
There are a few holes in this episode I couldn't really make out, maybe someone can explain them to me:

1. How does the police know about Tenma's tendency to visit the serial killer crime scenes?

2. Lunge 100% thinks Tenma is the serial killer, why is that? I mean, why would a serial killer come back to the crime scene after having commited a murder? It makes no sense and should at least make Lunge doubt about Tenma's guilt...
Mar 19, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:
Why has the criminal psychotherapist not brought proof that their really is a guy named Johann out yet, he has tapes, a crime scene and letters as hard evidence. ugh so annoying that the "smart" detective still hasn't realized that Tenma is innocent yet.

Some sense right there, because no one questions this. How does that psychotherapist haven't shared the info he got about Johan to the police?

Also, I asked this in the ep. 17 disc. thread, but, how is a person like General Wolf, who's got his whole family killed by Johan is not being investigated, and, how does he have not given information about Johan and the 511 kinderheim orphanage.

The medical records that Tenma operated on Johan should give evidence that Johan is real and not just another personality of Tenma.

Another question also bugs me, have the killings stopped for 9 years, and, why did they start to happen once again after 9 years?

So, once again, I'll repeat what I said in the ep. 17 thread, the facts are there for the police, just as the facts are there for the audience.
To sum, the killing of the relatives of General Wolf, the killing of Liebert family, the killing of Fortner family and the director of the hospital, Eva's father, and, the killing of the gardener in the castle, which, is the only evidence that makes Tenma a suspect, but, forensics might disagree. So, this only makes Tenma suspect to two of the murders, three, if we count the Fortner family, but, basing it on the timing, he can't kill both, the gardener and the Fortner family at the same time, while he has literally no connection to the killings of the Liebert family and Wolf's relatives.

Regarding this episode, why on bloody earth Tenma doesn't tell him what info he has gathered about Johan and where to investigate instead of just refusing to tell Lunge anything, and, how did Tenma get those detective deductions of how murderers work and think?
Mar 29, 2015 2:13 AM
Nov 2014
My favourite ep so far, Lunge is one scary mofo.

Tenma is too kind tho.
Apr 19, 2015 4:08 PM

Nov 2014
What a good episode.

Jun 3, 2015 5:50 PM
May 2015
I feel that there is a gap bet. ep 21 & 22 I don't know but I feel as if the anime is divided into two different things (arcs)
though the episode it's quite good and still shows Tenma as a real hero ^^ I can't imagine that he could be a monster or something
Jul 9, 2015 6:14 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 14, 2015 4:42 AM

Nov 2013
Right now it kinda feels as if the writers are making him really oblivious or obsessive or something. Like, Tenma has discovered so much evidence by himself, but Lunge can't even seem to verify/comprehend that there might be a Johan. Interesting ep 3/5 can't wait for next episode :3
Aug 13, 2015 3:44 AM

Dec 2013
Lunge x Tenma?
Nah but seriously cool episode. Lunge is definitely one of my favourites right now.
Sep 23, 2015 1:49 PM
Sep 2015
Damn wtf!? That guys nuts!
Dec 28, 2015 12:25 PM

May 2015
AWESOME episode! I was getting used to the relaxing episodes so this was like woah. I dont like Lunge so much now, he is so emotionless and stubborn about Tenma being the killer. I didnt expect he actually wants to kill Tenma without actual proof. Tenma is so nice and caring even when it comes to saving his own self. He really is the best guy i've seen in anime. I hope not too nice for his own good!
Mar 31, 2016 3:16 AM
Mar 2016
I love and hate Lunge at the same time.

Interesting and well developed character; a contradiction of sorts, a man of the Law with arbitrary ethics.

Great final scene; Tenma has some insane enemies.
EdMcStinkoMar 31, 2016 3:19 AM
Apr 20, 2016 12:09 PM
Dec 2015
Enserio que esto esta cada vez mejor....
May 28, 2016 9:37 AM

Feb 2013
Lunge shouldn't turn his back to a crime culprit especially after telling him that he's guilty.
Tenma saved him, but Lunge will continue his pursuit,his picture should be next to the word obsession.
Jul 6, 2016 5:24 PM

Aug 2014
This episode had an unexpected turn of events which i like, Lunge is so stubborn lol.
Excellent Episode.
Jul 28, 2016 10:10 AM
Dec 2014
Glad to see Lunge again.
Oct 18, 2016 10:15 PM

Jan 2016
Yes finally a graet episode! This is why they need to focus on the plot more and stop doing side stories that nobody gives a fuck about.
Dec 12, 2016 9:05 AM

May 2016
The moment that I saw Runge I knew this episode is gonna be intese man first things first the moment when the journalist interduced his name man that scene was dope and at mirror on the murderer scene I wished that they had a long conversation
Jan 27, 2017 7:22 AM

Jun 2009
Watching this a second time, I kind of get the feeling that Lunge doesn't even care if Tenma is innocent. The final scene about this being "fun" to him, kind of says it all. He sees this as a game of sorts, and this would come to an end if he just admitted to himself that the good doctor is innocent.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 28, 2017 9:24 AM
Feb 2015
i really like Lunge's Character, usually i hate people like him but he makes this anime much better
Jun 13, 2017 12:57 AM

May 2015
In terms of suspense this was a nice episode... I for once though that the Doc was going to be apprehended...

But I have a confession to make I was disappointed by Lunge actions let me explain... Heinz a policeman, another detective (the one killed by Roberto) & Tenma friend the criminologist, with action and with evidence have deducted that Tenma didn’t committed those crimes so why is an extremely intelligent detective with a vast intel network haven’t got a clue that Tenma is not the culprit and that Johan is real...? I know why because of his perfect record (his first blemish) or after meeting Tenma his life went south he is now a creepy & obsessed character... story wise of course he is interesting to watch and now more than ever that his switch has been flipped…
Roy_FockerJun 13, 2017 10:25 PM
Jun 17, 2017 5:28 AM

Oct 2012
Lunge is an obstacle for Tenma that's for sure, just like Eva
But I feel bad for him, he lost everything and still chasing Tenma
Tenma saved his life
He didn't want to acknowledge it, he still think Tenma is a criminal
His pride won't accept that he deduct it all wrong

I'm still not fond of him though :(
"Signature removed"
Aug 1, 2017 7:37 AM

Jul 2017
Lunge is a nice guy but hes obsessed with proving Tenma is thekillr aha
Oct 6, 2017 9:22 AM
Jul 2017
Runge is such an interesting character that only cares about perfection and being right. Definitely liked his character development in this episode.
Mar 2, 2018 8:31 AM

Sep 2017
Runge is so irritating to me.
The fact that he is so sure of himself by creating theories on human morals...
That guy has one view on human intentions and puts everyone on the same bag, it's just really stupid.
Mar 5, 2018 8:43 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode. I feel like even though Lunge is smart, he's really obsessed with the idea of Tenma being the killer, which makes him leave out important data and ultimately messing up at his job. He really wants Tenma to be as challenging as he imagines him. That being said, his obsession is certainly intriguing.
Apr 3, 2018 8:54 PM

Sep 2017
Don't worry Lunge, you will get him next time. Also that deduction that this was by a copycat. Johan would never hesitate to kill victims if he looked at his own reflection, unlike the company guy, who hesitated to kill his uncle. Also we see Lunge being all psycho while catching Tenma, he was looking like the serial killer for a second.

For some perverted reason, this makes me laugh.

And it is not much of stretch to say that Johan could be the alter ego of Tenma. Tenma had a possible motive to kill the 3 guys in his hospital and also was present at the 4th patient's crime scene where he apparently stood still while 'Johan' killed the patient and left him alive. Also, Tenma has been near the crime scenes of 'Johan' especially in the Baby episode and the Nina episode. And he conveniently put the blame on a 9 year old boy he operated who is incapable of murder after all. Even I think that 'Johan' is a figment of Tenma's imagination and I will continue to do so until Johan comes back. There has been no Johan for the last couple of episodes. When are they gonna get serious with the villain?

For god's sake, BRING BACK JOHAN!!!

For Lunge, he is desperate to catch Tenma and no longer cares about his innocence because he is the subject of his only unsolved case. That's why he lets off the killer of this episode without convicting him. Tenma ruined his winning streak and he feels insulted. That's why, no matter what, he will never admit the possibility that Tenma is innocent. That and the fact that 'Johan' is a great killer who never leaves a trace.

Did you notice the fact that Lunge knew that the cousin was the killer because no one in the neighborhood knew about the wife's hearing problems and only someone intimate like the cousin could have known about it? Pretty good I must say.
JeremiahOrangeApr 3, 2018 9:11 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 13, 2018 9:40 AM

Oct 2015
Man I wonder what kind of a mental breakdown Lunge would have if he realized he was wrong all along and that Tenma is innocent. Now that's something I'd like to see.

Anyways great episode.
Dec 28, 2018 4:44 PM

Nov 2016
Lunge is seriously a pain in the ass and talking some sense into him almost seems impossible. His obsession is just too strong.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 17, 2019 3:01 PM
Apr 2016
DAMNNNN this episode was soooooo gooood. Lunge's theory about Tenma doesn't waver at all, it's steady as heck...and it's FALSE! Damn... Tenma luckily saved him, I like him a lot tbh.
Mar 10, 2019 7:12 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah, Lunge has gone completely nuts after his family left him. I kinda feel like his story ends with his death. Probably by the hands of Johan.
Apr 2, 2019 6:46 PM

Oct 2013
For a second I started to think if it was possible for Tenma to be Johan but it obviously isn't.

May 17, 2019 5:54 PM
Apr 2018
I for once thought that in this episode Lunge would come to his senses and stop chasing after Tenma. He's still a douche. On a side note, last time Lunge appeared, he was retired from the Tenma case, even with no case to work on at all.
Aug 27, 2019 3:54 AM

Oct 2013
This is high-quality television. [2]

This sub-arc between Tenma and Lunge reminds me of Death Note, where L's and Light's roles are reversed. I kinda hoped Lunge would end here, capitalizing on the twisted Death Note parallel, and ending Lunge's character arc in a bittersweet way.

He's a very interesting character for sure, and I like him more after this episode. From an outside perspective, his pursuit for Tenma is brilliantly conceived and absolutely believable. In a sense, I kind of wish the show left a little more shade of mystery on Johan so that we, as the audience, might have room to suspect Lunge's hypothesis may be the correct one.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 27, 2019 6:40 AM

Apr 2017
Very entertaining episode. While Lunge was describing Tenma acting as his supposed split personality "Johan", I was thinking that in Western media that would've been an expected twist: cop goes on an obsessive pursuit of someone to the point of destroying his own life, and is correct in his deductions. It's interesting how they took that trope and turned it on its head (for now, at least).

I too thought that Lunge had been dismissed from the Tenma case. Was he reinstated in the meantime or is it just a continuity error?

All in all, Lunge's become a more interesting character than any other on the show.
Oct 27, 2019 7:24 AM

Dec 2018
Lol, Mr Giebel feel irritated that he's underestimated by Lunge.

It's rare that you find an episode where Lunge gets into action. And his facial expression when stabbed, lol.

Lunge might have been manipulated by Johan for all I know.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 13, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode.

Why is Lunge so obsessed with making Tenma the criminal? Or is it a pretense? He is so hell-bent on prosecuting Tenma that he ignores the confession by a criminal.. nevertheless, I am kinda thrilled by his peculiarities and look forward to his role in later episodes.
Feb 21, 2020 5:46 PM

May 2017
I was screaming profanities at my screen the entire episode.

Good fuckn yard....
Feb 21, 2020 5:50 PM

May 2017
ouriel said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Why has the criminal psychotherapist not brought proof that their really is a guy named Johann out yet, he has tapes, a crime scene and letters as hard evidence. ugh so annoying that the "smart" detective still hasn't realized that Tenma is innocent yet.

Some sense right there, because no one questions this. How does that psychotherapist haven't shared the info he got about Johan to the police?

Also, I asked this in the ep. 17 disc. thread, but, how is a person like General Wolf, who's got his whole family killed by Johan is not being investigated, and, how does he have not given information about Johan and the 511 kinderheim orphanage.

The medical records that Tenma operated on Johan should give evidence that Johan is real and not just another personality of Tenma.

Another question also bugs me, have the killings stopped for 9 years, and, why did they start to happen once again after 9 years?

So, once again, I'll repeat what I said in the ep. 17 thread, the facts are there for the police, just as the facts are there for the audience.
To sum, the killing of the relatives of General Wolf, the killing of Liebert family, the killing of Fortner family and the director of the hospital, Eva's father, and, the killing of the gardener in the castle, which, is the only evidence that makes Tenma a suspect, but, forensics might disagree. So, this only makes Tenma suspect to two of the murders, three, if we count the Fortner family, but, basing it on the timing, he can't kill both, the gardener and the Fortner family at the same time, while he has literally no connection to the killings of the Liebert family and Wolf's relatives.

Regarding this episode, why on bloody earth Tenma doesn't tell him what info he has gathered about Johan and where to investigate instead of just refusing to tell Lunge anything, and, how did Tenma get those detective deductions of how murderers work and think?

5 years later, but the reason why Tenma is still being pursued and nobody else is being investigated is probably because Johan has people in the police force and probably investigators also that are brainwashed and doing his bidding.
Apr 15, 2020 3:52 AM

Apr 2009
I get that Lunge adds tension to the story and he's an interesting character, but ugh, watching him is both annoying and intriguing. He's supposed to be brilliant but he proves to be more stupid and incompetent than the average detective. Ppl say you can't argue with idiots, well, it seems you can't argue with "geniuses" either.
May 10, 2020 8:33 PM
Apr 2020
I don’t hate Lunge, but he’s crazy. It’ll be really satisfying when he realizes he’s wrong in the end, unless this show ends with the worst possible ending of Tenma being convicted of Johan’s crimes, or everything somehow happened in a dream and he was the killer. I doubt that’s how it’s gong to end, though, or else it wouldn’t have such a good rating.
Jun 7, 2020 4:44 PM

Nov 2017
This was an exhilarating episode! Goodness, Dr. Tenma is too selfless for his own good! The confrontation with Lunge was definitely the highlight of the episode. He ended up saving that oddball's life!

Seems like Lunge is still convinced that Dr. Tenma is a killer. He says he doesn't make any mistakes. Sorry, homie, but you're not infallible!
Sep 14, 2020 6:53 AM

Jul 2020
Now Lunge is getting more obsessed with Tenma. I was hoping he will change his doubts over Tenma but he became more convinced that Tenma is the criminal? Damn. He’s getting crazy.
Oct 1, 2020 6:08 AM

Dec 2007
masterpiece episode with all it's means.

so lunge going to chase tenma only because it's fun, that's sound promising.

this is the tense episode so far, and there's more to come.
Nov 2, 2020 2:31 PM

Aug 2018
What a marvelous episode, Lunge and Tenma having a one on one face off when something so unexpected happens.Of course Lunge knew Tenma saved his life but still keeps thinking that hes the only suspect for all those serial killings. I feel like Lunge has to see Johan with his own eyes to admit his biggest mistake in whole investigation. Hes such an unusual and great character that really is part of why I like monster and this episode really proved that once again.
Dec 5, 2020 11:15 AM
Jul 2020
And the World's Dumbest Detective Award goes to Inspector Lunge
Feb 18, 2021 10:47 PM

Jun 2020
I used to think it possible that Johan is actually a figment of Tenma's imagination, but thinking more on that now, it doesn't make sense. Lunge is just wrong
Mar 14, 2021 6:32 PM

Jan 2016
Bruh Runge is Runge about Dr. Tenma. Also he's annoying as heck. Bruh he acts like he's in love with Tenma.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

110 by Sapewloth »»
Yesterday, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

436 by Sapewloth »»
Yesterday, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 38 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 10, 2008

160 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 9, 5:41 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 10, 2008

148 by Sapewloth »»
Jun 9, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

629 by JoaoPedru »»
Jun 9, 12:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.