Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2021 9:35 PM

Dec 2019
I liked this episode more than the last one, so far enjoying it. I’m pretty indifferent on the CG so I can put it aside. anyone else think the backgrounds are pretty good? that shot of them going down the ladder was beautiful. I think this has some potential and I feel like this story is gonna get pretty dark. (I’m unfamiliar with the source material FYI)
Jan 11, 2021 10:15 PM

Sep 2020
NG_Chloe said:
Beauxite said:
So there goes the yuri undertones.
I love this episode, better than the first. Wish they will work more on the horror/jumpscare aspect as its kinda mediocre, SFX and creepiness are out of sight.
Love the ED as well, gonna research whats that song. Hope its available in spotify.

Kozakura's really cute,affff.
Great episode. Hope it gets better as it goes.

I believe the song is called You & Me, it's gonna be hard to find that one, and I don't know the artist, unless the artist is You & Me

Found it. Thank you so much (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Jan 11, 2021 10:41 PM

Nov 2012
I found the full view of Kozakura's place interesting. I think it may have had hints. I found it suspicous that she has a wide brimmed white hat from her ceiling with other random objects. I'm really intrigued!
Jan 11, 2021 11:33 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty good and interesting episode, I feel this show will just get more interesting and better as we go on.

We got introduced to Kozakura and I like her already, where she getting them money though to pay for the wiggle waggle crystal thing.

R.I.P. to the old dude looking for his wife, at least they got an assault rifle now if they took it with them lmao. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 12, 2021 1:30 AM
Apr 2019
This show continues to impress me,
Sound design is top notch, I was quite impressed by the visuals but thought it lacked more perspective.
What I'm not liking is the characters themself. It can change eventually I believe
Jan 12, 2021 3:26 AM
Dec 2019
ok, I haven't read the light novel, but the anime so for is average compared to what's displayed in the manga. If anyone saw my comment on episode one (I highly doubt it), the cg is horrible and they seem to use it for everything. Looks like it's three chapters per episode so it's going to overtake the manga. I hop eit gets better along the line.

ps the art and color scheme looks like it's made to mask some of the cg. It it is then they failed.

i went back to read some comments and I can agree everything is pretty good. It's just that something feels missing from it.
Jan 12, 2021 4:05 AM

Oct 2007
enjoying this show so much.

so Toriko and Sorao owe their "powers" to the Wiggle-Waggle they fought earlier. Fortunate it's the first monster they fought.. or they would be dead here already. The unexplained disappearance story really creeped me out.. and poor Mr. Abarato, looks like he's a good person, only want to find his lost wife.

the white hat Toriko picked up seems to be the one worn by the monster. I guess it's the item they acquired this time.

ok, looks like this anime is signed up for me to buy something later. :)
Liddo-kunJan 12, 2021 4:16 AM
Jan 12, 2021 7:39 AM

Aug 2019
This was a lot more clearer than the first ep, with a bit of horror too. A slight development of Sorao's character was built in this episode, yuri's starting to heat up.

New girl is cool, where did the guy go? lol
Jan 12, 2021 10:26 AM
Nov 2020
but what about Mr. Arabato?
Jan 12, 2021 11:31 AM
Jun 2020
They threw a bolt at the burner anomaly to detect it.... I knew the anime was based on Roadside Picnic/S.T.A.L.K.E.R/Eastern European sci-fi in general but holy crap, this is gonna be a good ass show.

good hunting Stalkers
Jan 12, 2021 5:41 PM

Apr 2012
I don't appreciate the fact that they brought in a character just to have him be death fodder against the Monster of the Week. I get that they don't intend this to be an ensemble cast, but they really REALLY didn't have to kill the poor guy off.

I suppose there is a SLIGHT possibility that he's not 'dead' dead. but chances are like 1 in 10,000 we ever see Abarato again.
Jan 13, 2021 1:47 AM
Jul 2017
The STALKER references was nice.
Jan 13, 2021 3:03 AM

Dec 2016
It's enjoyable even tho I don't understand anything...

“Yeah, no one's more important to me” - was that necessary to say...?

Dude, is your wife that inhumanly tall XD

What Toriko said about Satsuki's appearance matched with that humongous lady.

When Sorao subconsciously held that lady...I cracked up XD

Anyway, can anyone explain to me about this Urasekai. What is this world? Why does it exist? Is it like a parallel universe or something...?
Jan 13, 2021 4:38 AM

Aug 2017
the premise of this story is interesting but this episode kind of wasn't. it feels like it's gonna be a slow build of romance with monster of the week thrown in. feels like the setting isn't actually important I guess? I haven't read the novel yet but I wonder if this may be not so well adapted.
Jan 13, 2021 7:23 AM

Jun 2007
i enjoy this but damn it could have been executed so much better. like for example if disappearance of the wife left some solid trace to the other side. like some weird tiny crystal balls on the floor or something. without that the guy sounds like he lost it and that's it, and that in reality his wife ran away with another person...
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jan 13, 2021 1:12 PM

Jan 2011
I became convinced any anime with a low score on MAL is just a masterpiece to me

happy that I decided to try this anime, everything really good for now
Jan 13, 2021 4:46 PM
Aug 2017
More hints of yuri!
Jan 13, 2021 6:47 PM

Jan 2018
To be honest, having a hard time getting into it having read the manga. I binged the manga after reading the synopsis of this show because I really like Roadside Picnic, the Metro series, the STALKER series of games, etc. This piqued my interest. The urban legends on top of the inspiration from russian scifi if pretty good. But this anime is, I guess, too fluffy? It's so cheerful feeling, compared to the manga at least (I feel like I want to pick up the light novel to see how it is).
Jan 13, 2021 8:28 PM
Mar 2015
Sorao was forced to realize her feelings by the monster
Jan 14, 2021 12:32 PM

Dec 2019
These episodes are so damn short, they fly by so quickly while I just want to watch more!

The scene with the lady in white blew my mind it was so cool and trippy.

I am already so attached to the characters and to the plot and I cannot wait to watch it develop more.
Jan 14, 2021 11:29 PM
Nov 2020
Did anyone else love how many S.T.A.L.K.E.R. References there were in this episode? No? Just me?
Jan 15, 2021 10:31 AM

Jun 2016
getting interesting ..

Jan 16, 2021 1:25 AM

Apr 2020
Toriko for waifu material. But if this doesn't develop much I'll probably dropping this. Not worthy.
Jan 16, 2021 9:21 AM

Sep 2015
Lmao did they cut budget on that dude? He looks like a cartoon character, especially when he’s running.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Jan 17, 2021 3:27 AM

Aug 2019
I'm not really feeling the horrors, but I don't think I need to, anyway. It is mysterious and intriguing nonetheless, I don't feel cheated. The mind trick the Eight Feet Tall played on Sorao was pretty clever, too. I'm surprised/confused that this is rated so low. 6.8?
Jan 17, 2021 7:30 AM
Sep 2017
man they removed alot of stuff from the manga
kind of alot of interesting expositon like there was a long explanation about what the wiggle waggles was when they talked to the researcher in the manga
also some stuff about what they think the other world is and what they think the cubes are

there was also more to the introduction of the guy and we got to see what those other inhabitans of the other world looked like, like weird clay humans
Jan 18, 2021 3:41 PM

Jul 2016
Some part of me wished this was the first time I see Hasshakusama in anime media but sadly, I couldn't help but think of that weird hentai while seeing her on screen...

Overall, kinda okay episode. Not really interesting but the execution at least doesn't feel too boring. The twist with Sorao being actually the one tricked by the yokai was quite nice tho.

And by the way, poor dude. He just vanished and the girls never wondered what happened to him.
SouthRzVaJan 18, 2021 3:44 PM
Jan 18, 2021 4:12 PM

Feb 2012
Kabedon

OH NICE AK-101!!!!

When Abarato mistook Sorawo for his wife Michiko upon seeing her blue eye, I thought maybe she was his lost daughter? I dunno they look like they were going to make the blue eye a bit more significant but we don't see what the monster in this episode appears as to Abarato.

Multiple layers deep into hallucination; Sorawo was seeing and approaching the monster as Toriko approaching the monster, but it was only her who was actually walking towards the monster.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 19, 2021 1:10 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
12 hours long walking? You must be kidding me, right? Lol.

Okay. This episode included the event of the opening that changed Sorao right eye into blue, and Toriko left hand into translucent. Idk the signifance of these change rather just to be the the devices to saved their neck from these episode encounters. I felt bad to those man that lost his wife, then he actually lost his life too. At least they both soon will see each others, in the afterlife world. However, thanks to his appearance, Toriko will get those rifle gun that looks pretty much helpful for their next episode exploration. Then the last intriguing one, Sorao felt something growing on her heart that fell toward Toriko That's some good progression, ngl. Even though i feel like its just a tiny sparkle without any implication later on. I hope i am wrong.

Anyway, beside all of that, and those hella creepy tall ghost creature as their new encounters, i got to see another nice behaviour girl. Yeah, that white hair petite girl. She was holding an important role to their journey. The researcher as well as a close friend of the person Toriko was looking for in that world. She conducted the research related to cognitive science, such as ufology, and the new one, the Otherside mysteries. I feel like she might find something helpful to their exploration. However, her contribution kinda irritating me with all of her uncomfortable dialogue. At least she got so many money at her side to pleased the other two girls. So, everything just be fine.

Well, my lines are just too long than i thought. So, yeah, lets go next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 19, 2021 6:05 AM
Jan 2008
RayReynolds said:

I don't know whether the writer or the director should be more embarrassed about this episode. So much of it made zero sense. I think probably the writer because that's where the episode began to fall apart first. The random girl who they swung by so that Blondie could infodump about something else was dumb, but not unusual. Then they found the random guy who first called up Chekhov's landmine (which proceeded to be ignored and forgotten), then launched into a bizarre tale about the alien secret society kidnapping people, infilitrating the government, and how his wife disappeared, so he discovered an unrelated other portal miles away in a different city and managed to accidentally stumble through it, and that's why he went from living in a penthouse to being a grimy homeless dude.

All of this was leading up to monster of the week, which is where the direction fell apart too. Don't get me wrong, the writer was still struggling. It throws up a twist that Grumpy was the one tricked by the pitcher plant monster who creates illusions of what you want to see, which is then defeated by going "Oh wait, I have a magic eye that lets me see the truth." They handwave this off by "Oh, I guess I just ignored it." But the visuals on that scene were just bizarre. The monster was actually some kind of wooden gate(?) A severed head in a wooden gate? It's really not clear. And by touching it with your magic hand, that disables its powers? The same monster that vaporized a dude for coming within 20 feet of it? Was the vaporization on cooldown? Why are we running towards the disintegration monster after pulling away from it? The visual direction of the scene is just an absolute mess.

Aye, I've been looking for people to point out the disappointments of this episode (I might be a week late though, but meh). It did feel pretty ham-fisted that the girl out of the two to get caught in the trap was the one who went in last--or did she not? They never said 'at which point the illusion begun', only suggesting that they were both somehow caught in it with Blondie waking up first (cos "reasons". Sounded like a perfect fit for Plot Armour to me though).

As you suggested too: between the two, why is it that the girl with IMBA E.Y.Es was the one caught in the trap till the end? Felt like a really cheap way to hand-wave the unresolved argument/drama from earlier. Ms Stutters was seemingly building up some steam there, so it's a shame that the indignity of the Biggest Fuck-Up award goes to her in the end - especially with the Highground of Plot Armour on Blondie's side.
Ultimately though: like you said, the AoE effects of Vaporisation must have been on cooldown since I don't recall Ms Stutters getting any decent gear for her hands or appendages in general - unlike Blondie & her Hand of Fate or w/e the shit that battle-resolution was in the end...

The first episodes had some amazing examples of sound-design & great atmospheric horror elements going on, so whilst I kinda dig the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibes for biased reasons, I'm a little disappointed to see the holes in this show open up already.

Fingers crossed for Ep 3 - though I won't hold my breath.
Jan 19, 2021 6:21 AM
Apr 2017
strong start! that switch thingy they did that made it look like toriko was going insane (when really it was soroa's mind playing tricks on her) was definitely my favorite part. very similar to itachi's mind games. although episode 3 barely came out, i'm crossing my fingers for season 2 and a strong first season o3o
Jan 19, 2021 6:23 AM
Apr 2017
WhiteRabbitx said:
These episodes are so damn short, they fly by so quickly while I just want to watch more!

I am already so attached to the characters and to the plot and I cannot wait to watch it develop more.

wish they made the eps longer tbh haha
Jan 19, 2021 7:51 AM

Dec 2019
coolcaterpillar said:
WhiteRabbitx said:

Same!! Hopefully the series has at least 24 episodes. But I have a bad feeling it’s only going to be 12
Jan 19, 2021 8:11 AM
Apr 2017
WhiteRabbitx said:
coolcaterpillar said:

Same!! Hopefully the series has at least 24 episodes. But I have a bad feeling it’s only going to be 12

it's 12 according to mal ):
Jan 19, 2021 8:29 AM

Dec 2019
coolcaterpillar said:
WhiteRabbitx said:

NOOOOOOOO. That’s heart breaking, we’re already 1/4 done then :(. Just gotta be hopeful for a second season
Jan 19, 2021 10:14 AM

Jan 2018
RayReynolds said:

I don't know whether the writer or the director should be more embarrassed about this episode. So much of it made zero sense. I think probably the writer because that's where the episode began to fall apart first. The random girl who they swung by so that Blondie could infodump about something else was dumb, but not unusual. Then they found the random guy who first called up Chekhov's landmine (which proceeded to be ignored and forgotten), then launched into a bizarre tale about the alien secret society kidnapping people, infilitrating the government, and how his wife disappeared, so he discovered an unrelated other portal miles away in a different city and managed to accidentally stumble through it, and that's why he went from living in a penthouse to being a grimy homeless dude.

All of this was leading up to monster of the week, which is where the direction fell apart too. Don't get me wrong, the writer was still struggling. It throws up a twist that Grumpy was the one tricked by the pitcher plant monster who creates illusions of what you want to see, which is then defeated by going "Oh wait, I have a magic eye that lets me see the truth." They handwave this off by "Oh, I guess I just ignored it." But the visuals on that scene were just bizarre. The monster was actually some kind of wooden gate(?) A severed head in a wooden gate? It's really not clear. And by touching it with your magic hand, that disables its powers? The same monster that vaporized a dude for coming within 20 feet of it? Was the vaporization on cooldown? Why are we running towards the disintegration monster after pulling away from it? The visual direction of the scene is just an absolute mess.

This is kinda of the problem with this adaption. Biggest problem is that the story in the ln (and manga) is largely Sorawo's inner dialog that puts things into (her) perspective. The first episode glossed over it too with the Kunekune. Needless to say, you're missing a lot, and the reason she was tricked was far less convincing.

Her new found ability isn't really hinted at until this point, where it is in the novel a bit, though Hasshuka-sama is when she realises at least part of it's potential. However, she only thinks she knows how it's working at this point. It is not really a clear and straight forward ability

As for Hasshuka-sama, the face on it's "true form" was artistic liberty. It's described as a warped tori gate in the novel. Also, Abarato doesn't just get within 20 feet, he makes contact with it. it is also completely unknown what happened to him other than he vanished before them. It's not really all that explained why Toriko making contact with it had an effect over Sorawo being able to recognize it, but her ability is to be able to make contact with her left hand with the true form of the otherside entities, presumably being why she does not vanish.
Jan 24, 2021 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, this show keeps surprising me.
All that illusion thing was amazing.
Apr 6, 2021 5:13 AM
Apr 2017
WhiteRabbitx said:
coolcaterpillar said:

NOOOOOOOO. That’s heart breaking, we’re already 1/4 done then :(. Just gotta be hopeful for a second season

Crossing my fingers for season 2 omg
Jul 12, 2021 1:23 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty good horror-themed episode.

R.I.P Mr. Abarato. I hope he met his wife again somewhere else.

I already like Kozakura a lot. She's an interesting character.

SerafosDec 22, 2023 10:30 AM
Aug 2, 2021 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
Got a bit annoyed by Sorao's negative attitude of having nothing to do with everything while still tagging along. Suprising twist on who was hallucinating, poor mr Abarato though

Sep 1, 2021 11:14 AM

Nov 2008
Get out of my girls-only anime, Stalker.

Sayonara, Mr. Abarato a.k.a. one-off reference.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Dec 23, 2021 3:13 AM
Aug 12, 2022 8:46 PM
Jan 2017
Being dropped into the action is always good. IF, the creators know what they are doing. So far so fascinating
Aug 15, 2022 12:04 PM
Apr 2020
"You were chasing Abarato, and then you went straight towards that monster while mumbling weird things."

Uh, Toriko? Were you looking elsewhere while this was happening? Because you clearly skipped something in between.
Romax24245Nov 5, 2022 11:02 AM
Oct 16, 2022 10:30 AM
Jun 2022
good, i liked it a lot
May 31, 2023 6:35 PM

Dec 2022
lmao I love how cold hearted Kozakura is.
Jul 24, 2023 9:48 AM
Jul 2023
It was a great episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2021

70 by wildhood »»
Apr 16, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2021

87 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 14, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2021

88 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:52 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2021

88 by WatchTillTandava »»
Sep 5, 2023 6:00 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jan 4, 2021

213 by GrandMarquis »»
Sep 1, 2023 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.