Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 31, 2020 3:52 PM

Feb 2011
Maneki-Mew said:
patchworkpants said:

It's definitely just a stylistic preference of mine. I just don't really like the proportions of the characters' faces in a lot of pre 00s anime. I did really like Neon Genesis Evangelion but it took me a while before my brain would accept the way the characters looked enough to just enjoy the show.

I like a lot of character drawing styles that a lot of other people aren't keen on too. Like Mind Game, Kemonozume and Tekkonkinkreet.

Haha that's right. Their art styles really put me of as much as Yuasa's for example.
I try to get to him more through his both movies at first... since Devilman was okayish but meeh... I got them for my MAL challenge. :D

I only dislike in general in new anime that many of them look SO bright and shiny. Ofc there are trends like the dozen of copy and paste of isekais and harems, but I don't have to watch that.

But I have to deal with the overly shiny colors in stuff I would have liked more otherwise.
The only one with striking colors that really caught my interest recently is Hanako-kun. That looks surprisingly good. I thought the same about Madoka for example, because they are not TOO bright and I never have seen a color set like this before either. And I haven't seen a style and color palette like Hanako-kun often.

Stuff like the typical anime styles or everything that comes from KyoAni, or Pretty Cure series, the Love Live franchise etc are way too bright for me or the color sets and art styles look plain boring and uninspired in many stuff.

I didn't love Devilman Crybaby's animation. There were a couple of scenes, particularly the violent club scene in the first episode, that were visually incredible and really showed off what he can do with his style but then most of the scenes were pretty static. I feel like he had a bit of a limited budget and just chose a handful of scenes to really show off and invest the time into. I liked the story though.

I liked his approach with Kaiba. Everything is really simple shapes and kind of retro 60s (or earlier?) which let him have all this movement and dynamic camera stuff because each frame is so much less complicated to draw, but the style is super cute and appealing too and kind of takes the edge off've the very dark themes it deals with. Kaiba is my favourite thing I've seen of his I think.

Kemonozume and Mind Game the characters are all pretty ugly and weird looking and messy but he's just experimenting with different stuff and they're still visually very interesting. Especially Mind Game. He's not trying to make his characters cute or pretty. He's just kind of having fun with it and exploring what he can do as an artist.

I see what you mean about KyoAni. There's some really technical detailed animation there (I just watched a showreel of their stuff on Youtube), but there is a lot of saturated colour in a lot of the scenes, and lots of lens flare and simulated bloom effects. They really go to town layering stuff over the top with different filters. I'm not sure I'm super keen on the style either.
Jan 31, 2020 3:57 PM

May 2018
HenrikDK said:
I don't think that anime is getting worse, most anime is just pure garbage. We just filter 95% of the shit out and watch the rest. I do think that a lot of Harem, Isekai, morons of mc shows are pretty cancer. But saying that anime has become worse is not true, we just remember the good ones and filter out the bad.

I do want to know how to filter anime properly, do you know the show is garbage by reading the synopsis?
Jan 31, 2020 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Mullerio said:
While i dont consider 2017 "old" i get your point.

More lifeless cashgrab, more shows that force themselves to be more mainstream and to appeal to more people. Directorial Visions are not really found anywhere besides the ones that are adaptations, even there it is more often than not the original creator who has the vision of how to do the adaptation.

Less slow paced shows that take their time developing something, also due to the reason of less shows that are not split into multiple Seasons. I doubt something like Monster, Anne of Green Gables etc would exist today.

millions of incomplete light novel adaptations, where are the adaptations of finished source materials...

We still have great stuff, there are just more anime and thus there is more trash. And that is not to say that anime pre 2000 or whatever the fuck "old" anime is was perfect, there was still more shit than great stuff, but most of the garbage stuff still felt a little more lively imo.

It also matters that streaming and online changed the landscape a lot. Eg now you can stream legally over 200 series which will cover all your needs. Anything you watch on TV will be available online in a few hours. So there is no need to go to the trouble of looking for older series.

Same thing happened with fansubs too, difference is that fansubs took a while to be completed, so there was more time to look for older series. In fact many fansub sites took also project of older series as well

In the recent ANN poll, a large percentage answered that they know about OP, Naruto, Bleach, DB etc yet they do not care that much about those series. Meaning that those series have lost their appeal or dropped in quality. As opposed to My Hero Academia that was loved by the majority. Anime now targets a younger generation
Jan 31, 2020 4:19 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
if anything anime is more censored now than ever, thats about the only real "difference" between anime now and the past, besides artstyle
Jan 31, 2020 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
It seems like its pretty rare for shows to be longer than one tier now, while in the past a lot of shows were at least two tier. To me I cant get as immersed since the shows are shorter, although of course there are some that are better than others.

Jan 31, 2020 4:31 PM

Sep 2019
I don't really think the majority of modern anime is bad, but i feel like there's not much to explore other than high school oriented shows and harems sometimes. I would love it if they could bring back stuff like space operas and cyberpunk with new and creative spins on the genre. The animes i love the most usually range from being in the 1970s to the 2000s. Modern anime in my opinion just needs more original stuff and a lot less 12 episode light novel based adaptations. But i still find some gems that are worth checking out tho. Some of the new ones of this season like Darwin's Game and Hanoko-kun are my favorite but even those shows will be sadly reduced to being apart of the 12 episode anime thing.
Jan 31, 2020 4:37 PM

Mar 2018
I quite enjoy modern anime!! I also enjoy recent but not as new anime! And older anime! I just like watching good stories. The era in which something's put out doesn't mean its immediately good or bad. You're always going to look at the past with a better view because all the bad things get lost in your mind (or to history in general), while the bad things going on right now are at the forefront of your memory because it's what you're experiencing currently. it just be like that
Jan 31, 2020 4:47 PM

Oct 2010
I don't perceive any significant difference in "life" or "cashgrab level". I don't know why should I. There is not a single measurable reason to determine that. The aim of the industry hasn't changed fundamentally. It's not like true auteurs disappeared or something like that, or like they were ever relevant. The shows that come out, some have heart, some seem made without passion, some are thoroughly executed, some are cheap and functional, not different from the usual.
Jan 31, 2020 5:10 PM
Feb 2014
There's pros and cons to both old and modern anime, for example here's stuff that i personally think modern anime does better than old anime:

-Infinitely more attractive and better art styles/character designs.(Most old anime character designs where really unattractive back then, let's be honest, you would likely not watch older anime because you found the character designs/art style attractive lol.)

-Better, more brighter color pallets.(Looked much duller than anime today)

-A much bigger and better variety of anime styles, themes and genres comes out each season, out as opposed to being perpetually stuck on a single genre like old anime did, i mean, there was a time when mecha was literally in everything, and i mean everything!!! Almost all anime that came out had to have mecha in them, no matter what the other genres where, it was much more prevalent then the stupid Isekai boom we have now and i hate to admit it!

-Anime is much more likely to get a second, third, fourth etc. season than any anime in the past:

-Old(er) anime are more likely to get a remake/full adaptation.

-Old(er) manga is more likely to finally get a adaptation

-More faithful anime adaptations that closely follow the original source material as opposed to being clogged with useless fillers or deviating from the original storyline and having anime only endings.

-Guys in anime have never been more attractive, it's quite common even in shounen and other genres nowadays to have bishounen characters as opposed to the past where bishounen where pretty much a foreign concept and usually relegated to shoujo stories.

-Almost all teenage anime male characters nowadays are actually played by a male VA and thank God for that!!!!!! A stark opposite to the ugly trend of the past of having a freaking 15 year old guys sound like he's 10 because they gave him a female VA!!!! Argh!!!!! I hated that soooo much!!!!

-More adaptations of reverse harems, otome games and girl targeted games in general than ever before!!!

-No more fillers or less of them anyway as compared to older anime

-Full male(bishounen) cast anime

-A LOT less if any mecha anime

Now i'll list the cons:

-Incest(A lot more anime that focus on incest compared to the past, usually as focus in romcoms, anime is trying to normalize such depraved crap like incest and it's not okay!!! Even in series that don't focus on incestual relationships, It's not excluded that you'll still find a character who fawns over their brother/sister or might even be in a incestual relationship with them!!!)

-Paedophilia(Lots of anime are depraved otaku pandering and sexualized lolis/children characters are not an uncommon sight in modern anime unfortunately. Anime is trying to normalize paedophila even more perhaps than it's trying to normalize incest, and like with incest, people gobble this shit up and don't see anything wrong with it, even going as far as thinking that being sexually attracted to such things is completely normal and it's not harming anybody since they are just drawings, not realizing that anime has brainwashed them into accepting such depraved and immoral things as normal everyday things!!!!)

-Moe(A overtly "cute" and deformed art style that became more prevalent since the rise of the CGDCT genre, making the characters appear much younger than their age to appeal to the depraved otaku fan base.)

-CGDCT

-Isekai(Otaku Pandering whish fulfillment anime which often stars a loser otaku/neet guy that gets transported/reincarnated into a fantasy world and suddenly becomes OP and gets himself a harem of beautiful/cute/hot girls, often includes lolis and ecchi as well.)

-Shounen-Ai/Shoujo-Ai/Yaoi/Yuri bait anime(There is a lot of shameless otaku/fujoushi pandering in anime that aren't even of the aformentioned genres!!! In old anime there was no such thing, the anime either was one of those genres or not, these depraved things where not found in normal genres!!)

-Much too short anime(Nowadays all anime are 11-13 episodes long with the occasionally rare 22-26 episode anime, older anime had much more episodes, it was not unusual for an anime to have 50 episodes or more on average back then, and let's not even talk about the long running anime that had over 100+ episodes!!! With more episodes there is a better fleshed out plot and characters, more time to get attached to the characters and better worldbuilding than you could do in 12 episodes!!!)

-Cut in half or worse runtime(There's anime who have a much shorter runtime than 20 minutes, some are even only 30 seconds-1 minute long, how can you tell a story in just a freaking minute, there's no point in even adapting the original source material if your not going to do it properly!!!! Leave it untill an actual competent studio picks it up that does the original source justice!!!!)

-Full CGI anime and bad CGI in general(more and more anime are becoming full 3D, i'm dreading that the traditional 2D anime art style will be lost at this rate, it happened to the west, don't let the same fate befall anime!!!)

-Gore in almost every action and battle shounen anime(In older anime, there was absolutely no gore in shounen anime, gore was tipically reserved for shlock OVA's and was not a common sight in regular TV anime, but now it has almost become synonymus with action and battle shounen anime, which is something i despise as i'm not a fan of gore while i am a fan of action and battle shounen anime!)

-A bigger prevalence of non shoujo all female cast anime.

-Idol anime

-Big lack of traditional magical girl anime except the Precure franchise(only edgy gory shit comes out now aimed at a male audience thanks to Madoke, gee....)

-Big lack of shoujo and josei manga/light novel adaptations!!!!

-Big lack of anime TV series suitable for all ages like in the past

-No more World Masterpiece Theater anime!!! ;__;

I think that's it so far, will edit if i can think of more to add.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 31, 2020 5:22 PM

Nov 2008
Since I am watching Hanako-kun, I can say that 'Modern anime is really f*cking great." Lol

Dauphine said:
Anime is trying to normalize paedophila even more perhaps than it's trying to normalize incest

Lol, no it isn't. Anime isn't "normalizing" anything; Intermediate incest IS treated as a crime or at the very least abnormal in anime and so is lolicon.

Let's break this down into details, here.

'Normalizing'....I wouldn't say it's actually a word...but if an anime were to treat 'lolicon' like it's normal, that means:

*It would feature an adult and a prepubescent child having sexual relations.

*Them doing so would have no repercussions or consequences in their anime universe.

Never once have I ever seen that done in an anime. Excel Saga did it as a joke but they didn't even go the whole way.

MAYBE it's in hentai...but I don't watch hentai. Lol

even going as far as thinking that being sexually attracted to such things is completely normal and it's not harming anybody since they are just drawings

I would like you to PROVE that it harms people. The people who think it's harmless are correct. The wrong ones are the ones acting like it's an actual felony. But drawings don't actually have feelings.

I know...I know...shocking. Lol

ChiibiJan 31, 2020 5:35 PM

Jan 31, 2020 5:34 PM
Feb 2014
Chiibi said:
Since I am watching Hanako-kun, I can say that 'Modern anime is really f*cking great." Lol

Dauphine said:
Anime is trying to normalize paedophila even more perhaps than it's trying to normalize incest

Lol, no it isn't. Anime isn't "normalizing" anything; Intermediate incest IS treated as a crime or at the very least abnormal in anime and so is lolicon.

even going as far as thinking that being sexually attracted to such things is completely normal and it's not harming anybody since they are just drawings

I would like you to PROVE that it harms people. The people who think it's harmless are correct. The wrong ones are the ones acting like it's an actual felony. But drawings don't actually have feelings.

I know...I know...shocking. Lol

Well, i've seen lots of people defending lolicons and seeing it as something normal but maybe it's just on MAL, i don't have experience on other forums.

Well, i mean, if you are sexually attracted to lolis in anime then i find it hard to believe that it doesn't somehow corelate back into reality.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 31, 2020 5:37 PM

Nov 2008
Dauphine said:

Well, i mean, if you are sexually attracted to lolis in anime then i find it hard to believe that it doesn't somehow corelate back into reality.

Why? They are creatures that don't exist outside of their realm. Lolis and shota are not anything like human children.

I'm sexually attracted to Zack but I wouldn't go around the jail cells looking for a serial killer to date, catch my drift?

You're just overreacting. Lolicons are harmless. I dated one. Lol
ChiibiJan 31, 2020 5:47 PM

Jan 31, 2020 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Dauphine said:

.(Most old anime character designs where really unattractive back then, let's be honest, you would likely not watch older anime because you found the character designs/art style attractive lol.)

Speak for yourself, dude.

-Better, more brighter color pallets.(Looked much duller than anime today)

I find it the opposite, modern anime looks "real is brown" to me compared to the bright, loud colors of older anime from the 90s and 2000s.

-Guys in anime have never been more attractive, it's quite common even in shounen and other genres nowadays to have bishounen characters as opposed to the past where bishounen where pretty much a foreign concept and usually relegated to shoujo stories.

Nah. I prefer 90s and 2000s bishounen designs, I think there was a larger variety in hairstyles and I genuinely find the Tetsuya Nomura-ass spiky hair to be far more attractive compared to the boring short brown and black hair found in a lot of otome and shojo today. And those angular faces and noses that could cut through brick *swoon*. And uh, starting in the 90s or even late 80s there were plenty of shounen and seinen with bishie character designs, and I find them far more appealing than the ones today.

-Full male(bishounen) cast anime

Are you talking about like, the 80s by "old"? Because the 90s and especially 2000s had a fuckton of these too.

-Gore in almost every action and battle shounen anime(In older anime, there was absolutely no gore in shounen anime, gore was tipically reserved for shlock OVA's and was not a common sight in regular TV anime, but now it has almost become synonymus with action and battle shounen anime, which is something i despise as i'm not a fan of gore while i am a fan of action and battle shounen anime!)

I take it you've never seen literally any shounen from the 80s such as Hokuto no Ken or even Ginga Nagareboshi Gin? Battle shounen were way gorier back then then they have been until fairly recently.

I actually agree with most of your others cons of modern anime, tho.
removed-userJan 31, 2020 6:03 PM
Jan 31, 2020 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
patchworkpants said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Haha that's right. Their art styles really put me of as much as Yuasa's for example.
I try to get to him more through his both movies at first... since Devilman was okayish but meeh... I got them for my MAL challenge. :D

I only dislike in general in new anime that many of them look SO bright and shiny. Ofc there are trends like the dozen of copy and paste of isekais and harems, but I don't have to watch that.

But I have to deal with the overly shiny colors in stuff I would have liked more otherwise.
The only one with striking colors that really caught my interest recently is Hanako-kun. That looks surprisingly good. I thought the same about Madoka for example, because they are not TOO bright and I never have seen a color set like this before either. And I haven't seen a style and color palette like Hanako-kun often.

Stuff like the typical anime styles or everything that comes from KyoAni, or Pretty Cure series, the Love Live franchise etc are way too bright for me or the color sets and art styles look plain boring and uninspired in many stuff.

I didn't love Devilman Crybaby's animation. There were a couple of scenes, particularly the violent club scene in the first episode, that were visually incredible and really showed off what he can do with his style but then most of the scenes were pretty static. I feel like he had a bit of a limited budget and just chose a handful of scenes to really show off and invest the time into. I liked the story though.

I liked his approach with Kaiba. Everything is really simple shapes and kind of retro 60s (or earlier?) which let him have all this movement and dynamic camera stuff because each frame is so much less complicated to draw, but the style is super cute and appealing too and kind of takes the edge off've the very dark themes it deals with. Kaiba is my favourite thing I've seen of his I think.

Kemonozume and Mind Game the characters are all pretty ugly and weird looking and messy but he's just experimenting with different stuff and they're still visually very interesting. Especially Mind Game. He's not trying to make his characters cute or pretty. He's just kind of having fun with it and exploring what he can do as an artist.

I see what you mean about KyoAni. There's some really technical detailed animation there (I just watched a showreel of their stuff on Youtube), but there is a lot of saturated colour in a lot of the scenes, and lots of lens flare and simulated bloom effects. They really go to town layering stuff over the top with different filters. I'm not sure I'm super keen on the style either.

I got used to the style, but I thought Devilman was over the top in its... well shock value in some scenes.

Not only KyoAni, I don't dislike their style, but I'm not too much into it either now.
Other anime have this pretty generic style and all of them have a very similiar color palette, it's boring. While there are a lot of different styles ofc, you see often something like this:
https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1296/102479l.jpg or cute girl anime like this: https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1191/104212l.jpg (from this season) and maybe they are not bad per se, but I'm less and less fond of the idea of being motivated for anime that look like them.
Jop really liked the (cel)shading and darker color saturation I've seen from the 90s-2000s and also from some anime today that don't look that overly shiny and bright... or got some other unique and very pleasant colors and styles to look at.
Jan 31, 2020 6:05 PM

Feb 2011
Maneki-Mew said:

I got used to the style, but I thought Devilman was over the top in its... well shock value in some scenes.

Yeah. That's true. It does have some pretty horrific moments. I'm not generally into graphic horror but for some reason I was okay with it in that show. Akira totally freaks me out and I'll never watch it again. I don't know why I find that so much worse.

Maneki-Mew said:
Jop really liked the (cel)shading and darker color saturation I've seen from the 90s-2000s and also from some anime today that don't look that overly shiny and bright... or got some other unique and very pleasant colors and styles to look at.

What does cell shading mean in the context of 2D animation? I know what it means in 3D graphics (the software shades your 3D scene to look like 2d art with blocks of flat colour instead of realistic tone).
patchworkpantsJan 31, 2020 6:27 PM
Jan 31, 2020 6:09 PM

Nov 2008
patchworkpants said:

What does cell shading mean in the context of 2D animation? I know what it means in 3D graphics (the software shades your 3D scene to look like 2d art with blocks of flat colour instead of realistic tone).

Image is smallish but you can definitely tell a difference here:

They used to be painted by hand. @_@

Jan 31, 2020 6:21 PM

Feb 2011
Chiibi said:
patchworkpants said:

Image is smallish but you can definitely tell a difference here:

They used to be painted by hand. @_@

Oh okay. I knew that. I just didn't know it was called cel shading. When I tried searching for it it was all 3D graphics stuff.
Jan 31, 2020 6:24 PM

Feb 2011
@HeruruMeruru What is that gif from?
Jan 31, 2020 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
patchworkpants said:

It's from Record of Lodoss War.

dumb character limit
Jan 31, 2020 6:28 PM

Nov 2008
HeruruMeruru said:
patchworkpants said:

dumb character limit

Confirmed. Deedlit and Parn. Very pretty 'older anime'.

Jan 31, 2020 6:33 PM

May 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
patchworkpants said:

dumb character limit

I watch the 1990 version and I drop it after like 3 episodes. Does it get any better? Does the anime remain faithful to the original source?
Jan 31, 2020 8:57 PM

Dec 2018
I personally love both modern and classic anime. There are both bad and good anime in each. I feel like one of the reasons classic anime seems better is that we’ve gotten used to the cliches and popular settings in modern anime which makes classic anime stand out from the run of them mill isekai, sol and high school comedy. The only reason why it seems better is that we’re used to the current climate of anime and looking back at anime that was made in a different anime climate makes it stand out and seem unique compared to those of now.
Jan 31, 2020 9:03 PM
Apr 2019
Modern anime focuses more on stupid logics.
Even Moe anime has seen it's decline.
Full of shitty isekai animes.
Hentai is more and more taking places.

The thing that demon slayer recently got so much appreciation, it's a sign that people are getting something good amongst the shitty ones, where Demon Slayer can't be even compared to previous decade's best.

another thing is that we are getting more animes now so it's likely possible we are getting shits more than Before.

The producers now have lost passion for animes they just wanna sell more by creating fan services

We are getting stupider, so is anime.
Jan 31, 2020 9:08 PM

Mar 2019
I really haven't noticed anything change in the way anime is made since like 2006 or so. I watch animes from 2006 and another anime from 2018 and I can't really tell the difference tbh.

Sometimes though, I feel like I'm the only person who's completely satisfied with the way the anime industry is. There seems to be a thread here every other day of "what would you change" or "what do you hate the most" but... I really am quite enjoying the huge selection of anime that we have available to us. I like all the tropes that are in anime.

I actually really don't want anime to change much at all. Perhaps I would tweak things a bit if I really had the power to do so. But for the most part, I have no complaints beyond some really tiny ones. And even the complaints I do have I solve by simply watching a different kind of anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2020 10:10 PM

Sep 2018
There can be a lot of cool anime these days, but I do prefer the way older anime tends to look, may it be the cels or the art style. But there’s masterpieces regardless of time period, I think all eras have something good to offer, including modern anime.
Jan 31, 2020 10:23 PM

Jul 2019
Honestly, I think modern anime is better than the ones in the past. People say that the retro ones are 1000x better but sometimes I feel like they say that because of the aesthetic it gives off. I don't watch many old animes because the art isn't as clean but I did enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion and Clannad AFter Story if those counts. But the ones who keep saying that retro anime will always be better than modern anime need to calm down like shut up, I don't care. Go rewatch Ocean Waves and continue to post about it.
Feb 1, 2020 12:31 AM

Jan 2020
I prefer old anime but it's probably because of nostalgia

It's all about what we feel about it more than anything
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Feb 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Feb 2020
Dauphine said:
There's pros and cons to both old and modern anime, for example here's stuff that i personally think modern anime does better than old anime:

I think that's it so far, will edit if i can think of more to add.

I just wanted to say that I agree with you almost completely.
Feb 1, 2020 3:56 AM

Feb 2020
NicOz42 said:
HenrikDK said:
I don't think that anime is getting worse, most anime is just pure garbage. We just filter 95% of the shit out and watch the rest. I do think that a lot of Harem, Isekai, morons of mc shows are pretty cancer. But saying that anime has become worse is not true, we just remember the good ones and filter out the bad.

I do want to know how to filter anime properly, do you know the show is garbage by reading the synopsis?

In my opinion you can't.
They all say the same things more or less.
They all have the same 3 or 4 cast set-ups.
They all have the same kind of poster ads.

What "seasoned" otakus do to see if the anime is for them or not is to check which studio and which staff is involved in the making.
But of course this "special skill" isn't acquired from one day to the other.
Feb 1, 2020 4:00 AM

Aug 2018
Modern anime has a lot of good (probably more good than ever before) and a lot of bad low level cash grabs, but I'm not complaining since it's basically like that in every single media, and for the fact that only the good stuff are gonna be remembered in the future, the bad ones will be memed about for a while and everyone will forget them later

just do yourself a favour and don't give them the attention they don't deserve
Feb 1, 2020 4:01 AM

May 2019
That could be true, but i believe that anime is just more accessible then it was 10 years ago, now days you can watch all the seasonals whenever you want, the 00s had its fair share of garbage but you wouldn't come across them back then and you wouldn't care to watch them now.
Feb 1, 2020 4:01 AM

Jan 2013
NicOz42 said:
. You are very arrogant and the lack of perception is getting me hard.
Wait what? You have some weird fetishes bro
Feb 1, 2020 4:09 AM

May 2018
@Klad Lol I didn't mean that.

Anyway thanks all of you for your thoughts, can't answer them individually since there is too many.
Feb 1, 2020 4:34 AM

Feb 2011
Nobita-X said:
Much too short anime(Nowadays all anime are 11-13 episodes long with the occasionally rare 22-26 episode anime, older anime had much more episodes, it was not unusual for an anime to have 50 episodes or more on average back then, and let's not even talk about the long running anime that had over 100+ episodes!!! With more episodes there is a better fleshed out plot and characters, more time to get attached to the characters and better worldbuilding than you could do in 12 episodes!!!).

I would argue that this is one of the best things about modern anime. With a 10-13 episode single season story you get a really tight story where every single episode matters and there's no padding or filler.

One of my biggest issues with TV series in general (not just anime) is when it's clear that the director is leaving the door open to a sequel in the hopes that the show gets renewed. They don't know how many times they are going to have their show renewed so they don't pace the show properly and the show isn't really working towards any kind of real ending. They're just writing and producing in the hopes that it keeps getting extended.

One of the reasons why Madoka Magica and Kaiba were so fantastic is that they were clearly written with one season in mind. Madoka has a movie sequel, and it is pretty good, but the end of the season feels like a real ending and the "cliffhanger" feels more like the director intentionally leaving it open to interpretation.
Feb 1, 2020 4:35 AM

Feb 2011
I guess Kaiba isn't modern at all now... Man I'm getting old!
Feb 1, 2020 4:43 AM

Aug 2018
Fan service & Isekai. Two of the worst things about modern anime.

Animation & Visuals. Definitely the best thing about modern anime.

They have their positives & negatives but overall, i think they are alright.
SoerixFeb 1, 2020 6:42 AM
Feb 1, 2020 4:53 AM

Feb 2020
patchworkpants said:

Oh, c'mon! Kaiba is a masterpiece, it's an exception not the rule.
What Dauphine wrote is true.
It's easier to flesh out characters with 50 episodes than with 13.
But more important, you can give closure to a 50 episode anime.
Nowadays most 13 episode anime is nothing more than glorified advertisement to whatever source they used and that's awful.
Feb 1, 2020 5:54 AM

Feb 2011
Nobita-X said:
patchworkpants said:

Nowadays most 13 episode anime is nothing more than glorified advertisement to whatever source they used and that's awful.

I only really watch critically acclaimed stuff, or series that lots of people are hyped about so I'm only really talking about that. I've never sat down and watched any really bad series. Of the critically acclaimed stuff I've seen, the shorter stuff has usually been better than the longer stuff.
Feb 1, 2020 5:54 AM

Apr 2014
Art-wise, I very much prefer modern shows. I like the clean lines and smooth shading and the way bright colors pop, and 95% of the time I like the actual art styles better too.

Story-wise, I tend to prefer modern anime since I like the way the tropes have evolved over the years, but I also like occasionally going back and finding an old gem. (Not anime but manga, but I'm currently reading Basara, and it's terrible to look at but the plot is amazing. Like a proto-Akatsuki no Yona.)

Overall, I think there are more good anime being released than ever before. I also think there is more crap being released than ever before. :P I had a conversation about this regarding music a while back, and we all agreed that when we say "Music from the past was so much better," it's probably because only the best songs are still being played. When you hear music that's coming out now, you're also hearing a lot of chaff that will be discarded and forgotten in time. It's the same with everything, including anime.

NicOz42 said:

Everybody has their own "filter style" where they look at different things, and it can get pretty complicated. I'm still kind of an amateur at filtering anime, so I'm still improving, but I have a two-pass system where I first look at the synopsis to see if it's something I'm interested in, then I look at reviews and forum threads to get an idea of whether it's worth my time. However, I don't just look at how many reviews say "This is great!" or "This is terrible!", I look for what they're actually saying about it. Sometimes people praise things I can't stand. Sometimes people complain about things I like or can tolerate. Knowing which is which is something that comes with experience.

A lot of people also pay attention to which studio it's animated by, who directed it, who the rest of the staff is, etc. I'm not quite there yet--although, given two shows with similar premises, I will watch something made by Bones or MAPPA before I watch something made by Deen. Again, knowing which studios/staff you prefer is something that you learn as you go.
Feb 1, 2020 5:56 AM

Feb 2011
Nobita-X said:
patchworkpants said:

Death Note would have been significantly better if it had 2/3 of the episodes cut. Monster would have been better if it had had 3/4 of it's episodes cut. There's so much pointless waffle in there.

The visual novel STEIN;S Gate could have done with being about half as long as it was.
Feb 1, 2020 6:35 AM

Feb 2020
patchworkpants said:
Nobita-X said:

Death Note would have been significantly better if it had 2/3 of the episodes cut. Monster would have been better if it had had 3/4 of it's episodes cut. There's so much pointless waffle in there.

The visual novel STEIN;S Gate could have done with being about half as long as it was.

Death Note could have zero episodes for all that I care, it's utterly garbage.
Anyway I don't want to be here defending anime with over 26 episodes because I agree most of them stretch too much.
But between 13 and 52 episodes, I prefer longer anime, there's less chances to have something being left to show and there's less chances to get an open ending which is something very important to me.
Feb 1, 2020 6:46 AM

Apr 2019
I like 80s/90s best
More detail and looks hand drawn (probably because it was)
More thought put into stories
Longer running in length
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Feb 1, 2020 6:49 AM

Jul 2013
Polluted with CGI and isekai crap... I preferred anime over manga before and I was always excited about new anime.. but now I prefer manga and Manhwas .. These days, the first thing I check before even considering any anime is the studio behind it's animation.. but even big names like Wit, Madhouse and ufotable are disappointing these days..
Feb 1, 2020 6:50 AM

Feb 2011
Nobita-X said:
patchworkpants said:

Death Note could have zero episodes for all that I care, it's utterly garbage.
Anyway I don't want to be here defending anime with over 26 episodes because I agree most of them stretch too much.
But between 13 and 52 episodes, I prefer longer anime, there's less chances to have something being left to show and there's less chances to get an open ending which is something very important to me.

I was very young when I watched Death Note so I can't say whether it would still hold up to 32 year old me but I enjoyed it at the time. It didn't bore me like Monster.

I feel the same about ambiguous endings, depending on how open they are. I found the endings to Evangelion pretty deflating. Both of the series (if it handed ended there) and of the last film.
Feb 1, 2020 6:52 AM

Mar 2010
I base anime on its content, the year it came out doesn't bother me unless the animation is very obscure.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 1, 2020 7:24 AM

Feb 2011
Rasco said:
I base anime on its content, the year it came out doesn't bother me unless the animation is very obscure.

Animation is obscure? You mean the cat is sat in front of the tv so you can't see the whole screen? (I know that would be "obscured", not "obscure" but I can't think what else you could mean.)
Feb 1, 2020 7:33 AM
Oct 2018
Ayanamihhh said:
I just feel like modern anime is polluted with lifeless cashgrabs

Exactly my thoughts, a lot of anime lack the kind of passion anime pre-2018 had. And a lot of Isekai feel this way, and they keep getting endlessly adapted.
Feb 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Mar 2010
patchworkpants said:
Rasco said:

Animation is obscure? You mean the cat is sat in front of the tv so you can't see the whole screen? (I know that would be "obscured", not "obscure" but I can't think what else you could mean.)

Yes the animation for me can make or break something, so it stands in the way of its actual glory. Take for example I watched this anime when it aired, so it was considered "Modern" https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt?q=panty%20and%20 Now its a relic of the past, but the animation was very hard to bare unless you actually watched the entire season you can see the comedy, satire and overall trollish nature is what makes it a masterpiece. So the animation can be a big part. So let me take a anime I'm watching today that is currently airing. https://myanimelist.net/anime/39196/Mairimashita_Iruma-kun Now this anime here gives you a feeling that its not "modern" so its time period is irrelevant but the animation can be something you do not prefer but it is current. Now if you focus on the characters etc The less obvious content you will see its a good anime regardless of its time. I could go on and on. But simply using a blanket statement like the word "modern" only makes things black and white. While if you focus more on style of animation it can be the deciding factor if you will watch it or not. Well I can't say this is true for everyone but hope you got the jest of what I am saying.

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 1, 2020 8:44 AM

Feb 2011
Rasco said:
patchworkpants said:

Yes the animation for me can make or break something, so it stands in the way of its actual glory. Take for example I watched this anime when it aired, so it was considered "Modern" https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt?q=panty%20and%20 Now its a relic of the past, but the animation was very hard to bare unless you actually watched the entire season you can see the comedy, satire and overall trollish nature is what makes it a masterpiece. So the animation can be a big part. So let me take a anime I'm watching today that is currently airing. https://myanimelist.net/anime/39196/Mairimashita_Iruma-kun Now this anime here gives you a feeling that its not "modern" so its time period is irrelevant but the animation can be something you do not prefer but it is current. Now if you focus on the characters etc The less obvious content you will see its a good anime regardless of its time. I could go on and on. But simply using a blanket statement like the word "modern" only makes things black and white. While if you focus more on style of animation it can be the deciding factor if you will watch it or not. Well I can't say this is true for everyone but hope you got the jest of what I am saying.

Ah. Judging by the examples I think when you say obscure you just mean where the style is very different from what most people would think of when they picture an anime style. Am I correct?

I quite like the style from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I've never watched it but I've seen trailers before. I can see why people wouldn't though. It uses lots of load colours and distorted shapes when people kind of like their anime characters looking pretty and elegant with perfect lines. Dead Leaves (which I also love) has a similarly obnoxious style but I like that too. I agree that they're probably trolling, or at least just complementing the tone of the series/movie which is brash and in your face and a bit wacky. It beats looking bland for me, although there are some very bland looking anime series with fantastic plots so it's not a dealbreaker.

Animation styles have put me off lots of anime so I totally get where you're coming from. :) It took me years to finally watch Neon Genesis Evangelion because I hate the way the characters look in it.
patchworkpantsFeb 1, 2020 8:54 AM
Feb 1, 2020 9:30 AM

Mar 2010
patchworkpants said:
Rasco said:

Ah. Judging by the examples I think when you say obscure you just mean where the style is very different from what most people would think of when they picture an anime style. Am I correct?

I quite like the style from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I've never watched it but I've seen trailers before. I can see why people wouldn't though. It uses lots of load colours and distorted shapes when people kind of like their anime characters looking pretty and elegant with perfect lines. Dead Leaves (which I also love) has a similarly obnoxious style but I like that too. I agree that they're probably trolling, or at least just complementing the tone of the series/movie which is brash and in your face and a bit wacky. It beats looking bland for me, although there are some very bland looking anime series with fantastic plots so it's not a dealbreaker.

Animation styles have put me off lots of anime so I totally get where you're coming from. :) It took me years to finally watch Neon Genesis Evangelion because I hate the way the characters look in it.
Yes yes exactly, I feel like many have some sort of vacuum perspective when it comes to anime, Only seeing cool looking or whats "trendy" so they get stuck with the thought there is not much to see. So actually trying different style of anime will get you out of that dilemma. Many anime that currently airs or gets made Has a prequel that it was adapted from. SO it was popular within its manga or LN counterparts before it even hit the anime fandom. So suggesting something is made based on the anime is not entirely one sided. Its based on manga sales and the reception it gets from japan. Heck some manga that are masterpieces don't even get a chance to due to the overwhelming amount of content that is being made and published.

But my feels.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 5 hours ago

7 by TheMechaManiac »»
2 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

36 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - May 28

18 by RudeRedis »»
12 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 24

50 by bucciest »»
22 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - May 26

27 by bucciest »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.