Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2019 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
Life goes on for mom and Sis Vikings stone killers and Thorfinn becomes one of them
Aug 4, 2019 2:34 PM
Apr 2016
axel360 said:
Askeladd really does not want to kill Thorfinn- yet.

Askeladd was literally lying in bed waiting for Thorfin to finish him off and end his suffering in mortal coil. Because Askeladd is too afraid to do it himself, he thought a kid would. Good for him the kid got more morals than it is historically recorded for the vikings in their whole lengthy existence.
Re:formed
Aug 4, 2019 2:40 PM

Mar 2018
85% original content..everything except Ilva's reaction who overworked herself....and really good original content..I like this transition a lot !!
Aug 4, 2019 2:41 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

The art in this episode was incredible.

Thorfinn really bringing his survival game to the table but damn, it's hard to watch the kid suffering the way he is but the same time, it makes me proud to see him standing on his own two feet at such a young age.
Askeladd is in a strange way nudging Thorfinn on to grow. Glad that he at the very least doesn't want to kill a kid.

FMmatron said:
This is really damn good in pretty much every aspect. I crave for more episodes.

Basically this, the struggle to not read the manga is real.
Aug 4, 2019 2:48 PM

Nov 2014
Askeladd, a villain done right. What I like most about his character is that he's isn't 100% evil like most antagonists nowadays. He kills people, but he also has a bottom line. He is a respectful villain who would allow a kid to attempt to kill him in a roundabout way of training him. The kid of his enemy no less. I always wondered how is the author going to make Thorfinn join the enemy's group. I didn't think the answer is so easy. Just don't make Askeladd a one-dimensional villain, but rather a human who, like all of us, is not all black or all white, but rather grey.
Aug 4, 2019 2:56 PM

Aug 2015
The background art in this episode looked so good, well done to the artists!
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Aug 4, 2019 3:08 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno, was this a filler? Whole episode could have been summed into his empty threat "Hur-hur, I'm gonna kill you." Blind vengeance, nothing else.

I mean, it just felt wrong. They took him with them (while letting everyone else go) and then just stopped caring about him, not even taking away his dagger or having him tied to ship. The boy could have been great bargaining chip for other Vikings and Askeldadd would get a lot of money for him.

Instead, they just stopped caring about him, leaving him alive with excuse of not really seeing him as dangerous while they just slaughtered whole village (even children) nearby. Don't tell me they just feel sorry for one little kid... it's more like they don't care I get it but still. Potential future threat? Come on.

Seems like he would have some series plot armour going from now on.

Not really bad episode per se (I actually liked how they shown him his weakness) but at the same time it was kinda pointless overall.
Aug 4, 2019 3:11 PM

Nov 2010
The most beautiful episode yet, especially linework and backgrounds.
What irks me quite a bit is still the fact how bad the draw the swords. I mean there are real life examples to look at and the still make them way to thick. Sometimes it looks like the swing around a steel bar instead of a sword.

Mich666 said:
I dunno, was this a filler? Whole episode could have been summed into his empty threat "Hur-hur, I'm gonna kill you." Blind vengeance, nothing else.

I mean, it just felt wrong. They took him with them (while letting everyone else go) and then just stopped caring about him, not even taking away his dagger or having him tied to ship. The boy could have been great bargaining chip for other Vikings and Askeldadd would get a lot of money for him.

Instead, they just stopped caring about him, leaving him alive with excuse of not really seeing him as dangerous while they just slaughtered whole village (even children) nearby. Don't tell me they just feel sorry for one little kid... it's more like they don't care I get it but still. Potential future threat? Come on.

Not really bad episode per se (I actually liked how they shown him his weakness) but at the same time it was kinda pointless overall.

I don't think you understand what they are doing. They basically showed that the small fly learned that there is way more to it than to go for blind vengeance, and he started learning stuff he never had to because his village was protected by his father.
Askelad basically sees him as a plaything, so why would he take away the dagger? He wanted to see how far Thorfin can go and he liked the growth he saw between the duels.
Also who would pay anything for an orphan? They slaughtered the villagers because they didn't want word of the attack getting out, Thorfin had nothing to do with that nor any idea about what was going on and no idea about the world, so there was no point in killing him.

I don't think that you have any idea about the living and the world at that time, because in the big picture it makes quite a lot of sense what is going on. The only thing that does not is that Askelad taking some interest in Thorfin, similar to how Hisoka took interest in Gon very early on, but that is more a character quirk than anything more tangible.
zwolf12Aug 4, 2019 3:22 PM
Aug 4, 2019 3:14 PM
Jun 2015
Kenpachi-Teteru said:
The best anime of the season wtf... (for me is the best of the year).

The honor that Thorfinn has is so fucking good man, not killing Askeladd when he was sleeping is one of the most honorable things a warrior can do.

Thorfinn is one of THE GREATEST protagonist i've ever seen.

Close, but Yusuke is still my #1.
Aug 4, 2019 3:17 PM
Jun 2015
Lelouch0202 said:
Great episode as always.

The art in this episode was incredible.

Thorfinn really bringing his survival game to the table but damn, it's hard to watch the kid suffering the way he is but the same time, it makes me proud to see him standing on his own two feet at such a young age.
Askeladd is in a strange way nudging Thorfinn on to grow. Glad that he at the very least doesn't want to kill a kid.

FMmatron said:
This is really damn good in pretty much every aspect. I crave for more episodes.

Basically this, the struggle to not read the manga is real.
As a manga reader the struggle not to spoil is real. The expectations man lol.
Aug 4, 2019 4:24 PM

Mar 2017
I noticed it before in the earlier episodes, but the background art in this episode was amazingly beautiful.

'nom'
Aug 4, 2019 4:41 PM

Mar 2016
Amazing episode again ! I really started to get attached to Thorfinn, he maked me so sad for him in this episode 🥺. I do like his character development too. I was affraid that after the dead of his father, he would lose all moral compass, but it seems that he's more like a "hard worker" with vengeance in mind, what makes me very excited for the future of the anime !

Aug 4, 2019 4:52 PM
Nov 2017
Mich666 said:

I'm a manga reader, and what you were talking here making me so itch to spoil just...everything.
Aug 4, 2019 5:42 PM
Jan 2019
Good episode Old man, Askeladd's men are damn bastards, they killed the entire village, men, women and even children. They could easily kill Thorfin, but why don't they? Ah, yes, it is because we are finished with the story ... although I think it is because they recognized Thors' strength by beating their captain and losing the duel.
I must recognize Thorfin's bravery and the honor he inherited from his father. Stabbing in the back is not of men, but I will not deny that I began to shout "KILL IT NOW, THORFIN!", Even though I knew he wouldn't do it 😅.

Ps: There are times when you keep your mind occupied in something else to avoid the pain of a loved one, until you can no more and tears simply sprout from your eyes. In that context, I became very sad when I saw Ylva cry.
Aug 4, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Elucid said:
Manga reader here, they got the anime original episode right.
Poor Thorfinn, I've never seen him in so much pain and struggle.
Absolute brilliant episode.

I agree as a fellow manga reader. I think I can say proudly that the anime will be better than the manga, because to me it has more depth so far than the manga. Not only is it in chronological order to allow us to care more about Thorfinn's revenge, but it adds this extra slow ep to give more backstory and weight to the scenes of Thorfinn and the vikings
Aug 4, 2019 6:13 PM
Sep 2016
WolfDBreidi said:
Good episode Old man, Askeladd's men are damn bastards, they killed the entire village, men, women and even children. They could easily kill Thorfin, but why don't they? Ah, yes, it is because we are finished with the story ... although I think it is because they recognized Thors' strength by beating their captain and losing the duel.
I must recognize Thorfin's bravery and the honor he inherited from his father. Stabbing in the back is not of men, but I will not deny that I began to shout "KILL IT NOW, THORFIN!", Even though I knew he wouldn't do it 😅.

Ps: There are times when you keep your mind occupied in something else to avoid the pain of a loved one, until you can no more and tears simply sprout from your eyes. In that context, I became very sad when I saw Ylva cry.

perhaps it was not clear even if it was said in the episode, now they are in England, in enemy territory where there is war between the English and the Viking, to continue they must have supplies, but they cannot leave living people who can say to the enemy army where they passed, because thanks to the sea routes, they can intercept them or set traps.
Aug 4, 2019 6:33 PM
Jul 2019
I think the whole series is going to be fantastic. Every episode has been fantastic. Even the one without fighting.
Aug 4, 2019 7:12 PM

Jul 2017
Mostly anime original content, less about Ylva (which was extra manga content). Brilliant job, Wit Studio. Now this is how you do a filler that fills in the answers we need for a base, solid foundation.

And I'd have to say, I'm starting to grow attached to Thorfinn and his growing years suffering with Askeladd and Co. Even though they see him as an irredeemable threat, it's very soon that this son of the Troll of Jom will soon overtake the enemies in his way.

Even though Askeladd is a jerk, I understand his ambitions for building Thorfinn and respecting Thors's drive before his death last episode. In the name of the Almighty, let the fight and promise commence.

Simply a fantastic episode, no questions asked. Keep this streak going Wit Studio.
Aug 4, 2019 7:20 PM
Jul 2019
I can't help but tear up at thorfinn's desperation. The pain resounds so very deeply. Damn it all, I want him to be happy not go down this bloody road...
I hope he meets his family again...
This episode was truly stressful yet so damn good TT u TT . I AM NOT SATISFIED!!!!

Let's all pray that Thorfinn gets a happy ending(fingers crossed)!
Aug 4, 2019 7:36 PM

May 2018
Come back again stronger, that's what Askeladd wants to Thorfinn. A good episode as always, and we got to see how Thorfinn will learn how to survive and how to be a warrior. It all happened in a one island, and that is amazing. The lesson here, is try and try until you accomplished something.

Aug 4, 2019 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
The backgrounds in this show are fucking phenomenal
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 4, 2019 7:46 PM

Jun 2016
I don't really like the fact that Thorfinn is going to stay with Askeladd crew. Before you know it he'll start killing innocents just like him. I feel like he'll start to lose his way and become a monster just like Askeladd. I hope I'm wrong.
Aug 4, 2019 8:12 PM

Apr 2019
Now i get why Askeladd doesn't just kill him, simply out of respect for the honorable traits he showed this episode and potential future, which is reminiscent of the sheer bundle of honor that embodied Thor himself, i think Askeladd truly admired Thor for that trait and seeing that in Thorfinn he wants to respect that.
Great Episode loved the part with Ylva.
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 4, 2019 8:16 PM

Jan 2009
so Thorfinn is gonna join Askellads group eh

Ylva is a monstrous babe too of her own but she is just trying to overwork herself to forget about what happened there
Aug 4, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2017
Another great episode! I loved some of the background art in this episode.

It’s good seeing thorfinn slowly progress. I’m still liking askeladd as a character.
Aug 4, 2019 8:40 PM

May 2015
Once again, I have to wonder if some people are actually paying or not... xD

OT: An anime original episode that was actually good? What world am I living in? This almost never happens. You know you have a special show on your hands when material that wasn't in the source material is just as good as the source itself. WIT have really gone above and beyond with this adaptation.

Aug 4, 2019 9:06 PM
Jun 2016
Looks like Thorfinn is becoming a bit more mature now that he's learning he's not as strong as he thinks he is. Hopefully it doesn't take much longer for him to stop being so bratty.
Aug 4, 2019 9:27 PM

Oct 2015
I hope Thorfinn won't hesitate to kill Askeladd like in 91 days! That bastard needs to go by his hands, not anyone else's.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 4, 2019 9:30 PM

Aug 2016
Really good ep and lots of beautiful scenery.

And some say that berserker would be difficult to adapt for their scenarios, wit studio laughs at that.
Aug 4, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2013
This was such a good episode, the art in the background was amazing
I don't know why but almost everything feels so....dare I say... realistic? And I love it. I feel like I'm looking into someone else's life from a window. Someone real.
I love how Ylva started doing all the work by herself to distract herself from the pain she's feeling. She reminds me of myself
Also how old is Thorfinn? Isnt he like 6? I thought he was like 8-10 going by his actions.
And wow anime original episode?
Aug 4, 2019 9:44 PM

Apr 2019
lihle808 said:
I hope Thorfinn won't hesitate to kill Askeladd like in 91 days! That bastard needs to go by his hands, not anyone else's.

if it goes cliche'd style he will end up dying by saving thorfinn after a lot of development
either that or someone else will kill him and thorfinn will feel conflicted

but i might be completely wrong too.
i would prefer seeing thorfinn stab the shit out of him with some crazy look on his face

Sacerdotisa said:
Really good ep and lots of beautiful scenery.

And some say that berserker would be difficult to adapt for their scenarios, wit studio laughs at that.

imagine if wit studio adapted berserk after its done in 10-50 billion years and wit studio becomes even better
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 4, 2019 10:01 PM

Oct 2017
Victorious-Mind said:
This was such a good episode, the art in the background was amazing
I don't know why but almost everything feels so....dare I say... realistic? And I love it. I feel like I'm looking into someone else's life from a window. Someone real.
I love how Ylva started doing all the work by herself to distract herself from the pain she's feeling. She reminds me of myself
Also how old is Thorfinn? Isnt he like 6? I thought he was like 8-10 going by his actions.
And wow anime original episode?

At this point he is around 6. It's made note of in earlier episodes that he was stronger than a lot of boys who were 8-10 years of age. Yeah this is mostly anime original only the Ylva scene was from the manga. As a manga reader I am really happy with this anime original stuff since it bridges child Thorfinn with his later self a bit better.

Next episode also should be anime original maybe with one other scene from the manga. Episode 7 will finally get back to the manga and we will finally see Chapter 1 (lol) get adapted. This has to be one of the longest cases of a manga adaption not adapting it's first chapter though I think the rearrangement was a good idea.

Also on the topic yeah WIT is just killing it. The background art here is just gorgeous. Hopefully someone makes these shots into a wallpaper.
BilboBaggins365Aug 4, 2019 10:06 PM
Aug 4, 2019 10:06 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Thorfinn coming to realize the harsh realities of the world. His whole life being sheltered by a loving family in a safe village, now has to survive in the wild by any means necessary. Pretty brutal considering he's still only a child. Also the sheer brutality of Akseladd's group, they just plunder, rape, and murder everywhere they go.

But as much as I think Askeladd is piece of trash, I can already tell killing Thors is bothering him, considering how honorable he was by not killing any of his men and sacrificing himself for the sake of others. It helps make him more fleshed out, on top of not killing Thorfinn.

I'm doing my best to not read the manga, but I really want to see where this is going. If I follow what happens in the Opening, it appears Thorfinn is going to join Askeladd's group. Perhaps Askeladd will convince Thorfinn to go after the people who ordered the hit on Thors to being with, and not just him?

Ylva is so strong, but she can't keep something like this buried inside. I'm hoping we get to see her development too as the story goes along. I really like her.
Aug 4, 2019 10:31 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing episode i didn't see anything bad
Aug 4, 2019 10:58 PM

Apr 2018
Tfw your anime-original episode is better than 99% of the other anime in this season.

And This episode is also a wallpaper material. The art background is the best of TV anime of 2019 so far.
this and kimetsu no yaiba is the only ongoing anime with a great art visuals and animation.
Aug 4, 2019 11:14 PM
Aug 2017
Okay man, this anime is good
Aug 4, 2019 11:27 PM

Feb 2017
ready for anime of the year

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Aug 5, 2019 12:26 AM
Jul 2019
This doesn't even feel like filler.Beautiful episode.Good job WIT Studio. They are proving again and again how to adapt a good source material without butchering it. Take note JC Staff and Studio Pierrot.
Aug 5, 2019 12:52 AM

Oct 2018
Damn this anime is a solid 10 for me, it keeps getting better and better
Aug 5, 2019 1:01 AM

Jul 2016
Maybe I'm just tired this morning, but I didn't really feel anything this episode. I love the part with Ylva and Helga, but the rest just felt kinda meh.
Ylva's definitely my favourite character so far.

Edit: I didn't pick up on it till it was pointed out, but yeah, the background art is phenomenal.
ChilliePeppersAug 5, 2019 1:04 AM
Aug 5, 2019 1:14 AM
May 2013
as an anime only i am surprised to hear this episode is mostly original content. it feels like solid story content. a child surviving merely out of spite, hatred, vengeance - and a simple promise. also a nice touch on how ylva and helga mourn the loss of thors.

i assume we will get a timeskip soon.
Aug 5, 2019 1:25 AM

Jul 2015
Well i was skeptical about the filler content but they did it well.This episode really made the plot more compact by adding scenes about how Thorfinn joined Askeladd's gang.

The Yalva Helga scene was nicely done.

The scenes were gorgeous.

Aug 5, 2019 1:51 AM
Apr 2016
This show is fantastic. I want to binge the rest of it so badly.
Aug 5, 2019 2:16 AM

Dec 2013
Another great episode. Thorfinn has officially joined Askeladd's group!
Aug 5, 2019 2:40 AM
Aug 2016
That was a really depressing episode. One could easily empathize with Thorfinn's struggle and feel the pain. Also, I am really surprised as an anime only watcher that this was an original episode. The direction, the animation, the voice acting were all brilliantly done. 5/5 for me :)
Aug 5, 2019 2:57 AM
Oct 2016
phantomfandom said:
Askeladd's group is quite cool, except the part where they kill the whole village. Not cool at all!
Also, is Thors really dead? My inner heart still have some hope, he's just too great. I don't see his body but it look like they're already confirm the bounty reward. (Though he successfully faked his own death once)

LMAO this is no cliché shonen. He is dead. His head was later cut off and was sent to the leader of Jom as a proof. Otherwise he would have burned down the village and people to ashes.
draco11Aug 5, 2019 3:01 AM
Aug 5, 2019 4:18 AM

Feb 2014
An anime original take on Thorfin's learning of life. It really pains me to see him go on like this. But this is just the beginning of his long journey to find salvation. All of these characters really change throughout the encounters and scenario's they face. Ylva took her father's death like a head of the family should live in. Askeladd seems to have taken the guilty of estranging a kid from his father.

When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 5, 2019 4:30 AM

Mar 2017
I have respect for Ylva. She's strong.
Thorfinn is changing. It will take more time though. He's only a little kid after all.

I don't know if I'll be able to hold back my urge to read the manga lol.
Aug 5, 2019 4:45 AM

Jul 2017
I think the anime original doesn't realy get the manga. thorfinn is way too joyous and at the end of the scene, they make it look like something like a heroic/epic journey(when after being all happy over his knife, he starts having a serious look and looks into the way of the village) apart from that the adaptation is great since the begining, thorfinn's voice actor is especially great when he shouts from the boat(that was ep4 though) and exept for this part, I think they do get the manga.
Elucid said:
Manga reader here, they got the anime original episode right.
Poor Thorfinn, I've never seen him in so much pain and struggle.
Absolute brilliant episode.
I disagree for the reasons I stated up above, they make this part look like an "epic" journey exept it realy doesn't make sense for the character imo
uninstallthegame said:
eh, was pretty average. kinda gave off vagabond vibes with the whole getting ready for the duel, surviving in the woods, but less brutal. the revenge plot isn't anything amazing, but we'll see what more it has to offer
hey man you can read when I wrote earlier for that. Well, it was an anime original and doesn't realy fit the plot imo, but I can guarentee you it is an exeptional manga.
Aug 5, 2019 4:49 AM

Jan 2016
damn, I really want to see Thorfinn grow up and destroy Askeladd. Also F for that random innocent village. This episode has some amazing backgrounds, so many shots can be used for great wallpapers.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

814 by katnissdawn »»
Sep 18, 5:25 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

262 by Ronin_Alx »»
Sep 17, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

410 by Mglasses »»
Sep 10, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

356 by siluthfi_ »»
Sep 5, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by Artromex »»
Aug 14, 6:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.