Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 16, 2018 9:33 PM

Oct 2010
"To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand why Uchika left Ayano"
-memetic inscription from the ancient world wide web of 2017

DirectorK said:
nDroae said:

Most importantly, providing an experience which mass audiences could accept and enjoy on its own without having a Wise One explain and justify it to them.

Pfft! Are you serious? You really think that's what the Rocky movies are all about? Nothing but "enjoyable" entertainment to appeal to mass audiences who just want to be entertained? Clearly you don't aynthing about the Rocky movies.

This anime may not be perfect but it does have it's deeper meanings and it does have flawed yet very human characters. It's there, you just didn't take the time to look into it.

The stance I've taken is that, yes, works of entertainment media should be expected to captivate the audience, rather than alienate a large portion of it, as this show has. Sure, it may merit credit for some of its parts, but the holistic effect is the most basic, essential, ground level pass/fail measure of success or failure in the arena the show is playing in. We're not dealing with a Lars von Trier or David Lynch equivalent here.

I can suspend disbelief and accept that real people might act the way the characters do, but I can't accept the show's framing of them. The show asked and expected me to sympathize with Kaoruko and Connie, but I didn't. You could reasonably expect I would, since I really like cute anime girls, but no. Meanwhile I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, where every seemingly unpitiable opponent gets a sympathetic backstory, and it works every time. If Hanebado works for you, great, but I don't think you were justified to place blame on others when it didn't work for them.

DirectorK said:
To her, she sincerely believed that she was doing Ayano a favor by leaving her on her own, completely unaware that she was actually hurting her.

Now with this episode ending with Elena asking Uchika about Ayano, we might get some revelation on Uchika's own past. Like how she got pregnant, how she dealt with it, and what led her to leave Ayano behind. It likely won't excuse her actions but at least we'll have a better understanding of her character.

I was on the other side of this with Hanasaku Iroha, where I loved the "mean" grandmother's backstory toward the end, and she was easily my favorite character in the show. Some still didn't like her to the end.

Uchika could have worked for me similarly if her mistakes had not been so extreme. There is a lot of territory between mistakes minor enough to be excusable, and the incredible extreme the mangaka opted for. I would have liked to see the story find balance somewhere in that territory. The "failed" main character's harsh mother and older sister in Girls und Panzer are in that territory, and the arc of their relationships to her is my favorite part of the story.

A couple of weeks ago: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/08/31-1/the-badminton-revenge-tour-of-ayano-hanesaki#comments
nDroae said:
Yeah, with sports anime in general one comes to expect that seemingly despicable opponents will get a revelatory sympathetic backstory at some point. That's why I generally prefer that the initial negative portrait not go to too much of an extreme. I know that many people are enjoying Hanebado as it is, which is fine, I have no problem with that - I still want to see more "serious" women's sports anime in general. But personally, I would have been more engaged if, say, Ayano was initially driven into this terminator mode at a young age by her mom, was initially offered friendship by Kaoruko, and rejected her, creating the negativity herself. I would have preferred if Connie initially approached Ayano in a *genuine* friendly way, wanting to be a family, and was rejected, simply because that's the realistic reaction you'd expect when a teenager suddenly meets the girl her own mother replaced her with. That would have been more interesting than being the nice girl everyone hates.
[Edit: I originally wrote "to be a family again" in that comment, but "again" doesn't apply to Connie.]

I think this is the most interesting perspective I've seen on this show (emphasis added):
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3085516
Emdykay said:
I am not exactly a fan of sports shows because I usally can´t gain acess to the character drama or flat out not take it seriously, so Hanebado throwing any pretense of seriousness or believabilty out of the window from the get go actually made this much more accessible and enjoyable. And also the mood whiplash and tonal shifts don´t hit me that hard, altough it could definetly cut down on the cheap fanservice.
And yes I do hope the show won´t start trying to be reasonable anytime soon :D

nDroaeSep 16, 2018 9:40 PM
Sep 16, 2018 9:48 PM
Jun 2017
That ayano's face when she talk to nagisa in that final scene... hahaha... nagisa plan looks effective on the first 2 points of the game, lets see what ayano's plan would be...
Sep 16, 2018 9:55 PM
Jan 2016
I hate Uchika so much, she is always smile, she dont understand what she did wrong? It's normal that she want to abandon her mother after what she did!

And i dont blame Elena by making Ayano returns to badmiton, in Ayano's heart she like still likes badmiton! i am anxious to see what Elena will say to Uchika!

I dont know if Nagisa is able win against Ayano, but i recognize her efforts and Nagisa are doing is best for win against Ayano! Im cheering for Nagisa, for sure!

Btw, Riko's brother and sisters really look cute, they are quite similar to their big sister!

Sep 16, 2018 10:43 PM

Aug 2017
That reason to leave your child is pretty stupid lol. Uchika is a bitch. Ayano's Grandparents are not far behind. They say nothing about that attitude. Too unrealistic.

In the next episode, Elena will speak with Uchika.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 16, 2018 11:32 PM

May 2015
WHAT ARE WE PLAYING FORRRRRRRRR!!!!!!?

"You can play badminton without me. That's why I came back." Excuse me? So apparently Uchika's method of training her students is her being a tiger and throwing her cubs off a cliff and waiting for them to climb up on their own...

"It's not like encouragement makes you play any better, but if it does, you should encourage Nagisa." BURN! AYANO LOVES TO BURN!

I hate the "We're all buddies" act. Ooooh. Ayano said it!

"Ayano, what are you fighting for?"

Ahahahahaha! Now you admit it Elena! It's all your fault! Ahahahahaha!

LOOOOL! KAORUKO IS STILL BEST GIRL!

Uchika's all like, "What a noob. I'm outta here."

Well Nagisa has the advantage, but it looks like Ayano is just getting started. My guess next episode is that Elena will talk to Uchika on how Ayano has been suffering, so when she goes back into the court, she'll shout out to Ayano "If you lose this match, I'm disowning you!", and that'll push Ayano's skill to the max! I personally won't like the match finishing like that, but I would love for it to happen for the heck of it.

By the way, what happened to Ayano's dad? Eh...Uchika probably left him because he wasn't "good" enough...
TarotistSep 16, 2018 11:45 PM
Sep 16, 2018 11:44 PM

Aug 2013
Finally someone sympathetic towards little Ayano.
The rest of them even the male coach doesn't put hte effort to understand her.
I would prefer if Elena is more understanding of Ayano's circumstances instead of keep trying to straighten her attitude.
That's not solving the crux of the problem, but finally she approaches the mother.
I just hope the mother doesn't spout more bullshit than she already did.

Ahh I'd feel awkward if Ayano murder Nagisa right off the bat.
Seems like next episode is where the action starts coming in. Looking forward to Ayano's comeback.
Tfw all the other characters makes me feel more disgusted than Ayano.

Lambdaa-Sep 17, 2018 12:40 AM
Sep 17, 2018 12:35 AM

May 2016
nDroae said:
I can suspend disbelief and accept that real people might act the way the characters do, but I can't accept the show's framing of them. The show asked and expected me to sympathize with Kaoruko and Connie, but I didn't. You could reasonably expect I would, since I really like cute anime girls, but no. Meanwhile I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, where every seemingly unpitiable opponent gets a sympathetic backstory, and it works every time. If Hanebado works for you, great, but I don't think you were justified to place blame on others when it didn't work for them.

The anime isn't necessarily asking you to sympathize with Kaoruko, or Connie, or even Uchika for that matter. What's it's trying to do is to make you understand why they are the way are and why they did the things they did. Whether you sympathize or even like them or not is entirely up to you, but what I'm truly trying to get is that you shouldn't jump to conclusions or write them off without taking the time to look into and understand their characters. If that's proving to be difficult to then I strongly suggest that you watch Nearly On Red's videos on this anime for his does an excellent job explaining it.

In the case of Kaoruko, I don't entirely sympathize with her simply because she's a self centered brat. However, I do admire the fact that that she puts in the work required to be as good of a player that she is and that it isn't all for show. When she gets serious she gets serious, even when it's clear she might lose.

To give another Rocky comparison, Kaoruko is actually not much different from Apollo Creed. When we first saw Apollo he was an egotistical asshole who only fought Rocky because Rocky had a cool sounding nickname and that the whole fight was simply a publicity stunt. However, he didn't become the heavy weight champ for nothing. He was still an excellent fighter, one of the best in the world. Yet his major downfall was his ego, which in the end cost his title and then later his life.

Apollo lost to Rocky because of his ego and that they he severely underestimated his opponent. Kaoruko did the same thing. She thought she knew everything about Ayano but soon discovered she was wrong and lost badly because of it. In the end you kind of do feel sorry for her, but the truth is she brought it on herself. What she did to Ayano before came back to haunt her. If she actually redeems herself later on like Apollo did, she would probably end up being my favorite character. But unless we get another season that's unlikely to happen.

Now is the case of Connie, this is one character I actually do feel sorry for because she's practically an innocent victim in all this even though she put herself in that position. When we first see her she's pretty much the same as Kaoruko but with one major difference: Uchika is her teacher and she treats her like a mother just like Ayano.

Given that they had the same teacher, it's only natural that Connie went to Japan to meet Ayano and to find out who's was the better student. However, she didn't realize how fragile Ayano's mental state was until it was too late. What's worse, she was one who pushed her over the edge. All of a sudden she was caught between a ugly family feud and she wanted no part of it. That's why she tried to make up with Ayano, even though she knew it was futile because Ayano's anger was that deep. I appreciate that she tried to make up for her mistake instead of just making things worse.

Uchika could have worked for me similarly if her mistakes had not been so extreme. There is a lot of territory between mistakes minor enough to be excusable, and the incredible extreme the mangaka opted for. I would have liked to see the story find balance somewhere in that territory. The "failed" main character's harsh mother and older sister in Girls und Panzer are in that territory, and the arc of their relationships to her is my favorite part of the story.

Which goes along with what I said earlier. Again, let's wait and what she says to Elena first before we jump to conclusions.
DirectorKSep 17, 2018 9:21 AM
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Sep 17, 2018 4:47 AM

Feb 2014
Hmmm......I could think of many things to say about Uchika's reason for leaving Ayano, but one word comes to my mind more than any other word that describes her choice.

Idiotic.

Uchika's not a horrible mother by all means, but saying that leaving Ayano would be her play better has only made Ayano resent her mother and is vowing to abandon her the same way. It's just shows how much of a 'bad' mother she is. =/

Elena is also taking steps in the right direction by finally admitting that she's at fault for Ayano being the way she is because she got her back into badminton, so I'm looking forward to seeing the conversation between her and Uchika next week.

As for the finals, Nagisa has gotten off to a good start with a 2-0 lead in the first match, but she knows that the tough part of the match is yet to come. Ayano might've been taken by surprise for those first two points, but she has now caught onto Nagisa's plan. I think this will go down a a 3-set match, with the last match going the distance in a 2-clear points scenario at 20-20. That should make the match super thrilling all the way to the conclusion, at least. =)
Sep 17, 2018 5:07 AM

Apr 2014
yep i still hate the mom lol i mean of course she would say something dumb like that to her "oh i only came back cause you can now play without me" smh soo annoying and she just keeps being annoying with just trying to be all like what she did was nothing at all

as for Elena its about time she realize what shes done because she was also getting annoying at how she kept getting mad at ayano for what she was saying without thinking about what she did by bringing her back to the sport but least now she realizes it

with that say gotta say the anime is so different from the manga cause if anything the way they set things up in the manga is a lot less tense and annoying unlike the anime where they are really bringing out the hate and drama but gotta say i am liking the ayano in the anime more cause least in the anime she's really showing she is mad about things while in the manga its like its there but not really

anyway looking forward to the last few eps see what they anime will do
"one step at a time"
Sep 17, 2018 5:07 AM

Aug 2013
So at this point, it's safe to say that Nagisa is the best part of this series...at least in my eyes. I find myself neutral on Ayano. I don't hate her, but I don't particularly like her. She's just there...being whatever she's supposed to be with her "Tragic backstory". Anyways...getting into this.

So Uchika's reasoning for leaving her daughter was complete and utter trash. Not only was the reasoning awful but the set up for it was a waste of time. Like the anime was hyping up this fatal showdown between mother and daughter and...we get nothing. We don't get an explosive moment where Ayano could have just unleashed everything she had pent up in her chest at her mother or even some weird "show me through action" thing where Ayano and Uchika play each other to communicate that way. It was pathetic.

I can honestly say that the inconsistency of the handling of these characters is overall the thing that ruins it overall. Nagisa has been consistent but every other character that has had "struggles" has been lackluster especially since you don't really have room to care about them. Like Kaoruko was a bitch right out the gate and a shady individual and Connie was just a wannabe Mary Sue player who just wants a family yet shitted on everyone around her. It's a damn shame how you have so many potentially decent characters but the execution of the plot in a series just deteriorates their worth. Even in the manga, these problems are evident except the atmosphere is totally different.

Hanebado, in the manga, is more cheerful, slice of life, comedy with sports involved but has troubles trying to sell a serious plot as the sports/competition vibe plays on. So the issues that the original source has is only magnified in the anime but with a different approach. Though I just want to see how it ends, safe to say that this series is one hell of a mistake in my opinion.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 17, 2018 5:49 AM

Dec 2013
The mother continues being a piece of shit.
Sep 17, 2018 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
Felt pretty sad for Ayano this episode.
Sep 17, 2018 7:36 AM
Apr 2010
i dont feel sad for ayano, seems like she is the only one who got her shit together in this entire show
Sep 17, 2018 8:07 AM

Apr 2017
Pretty much good comments here!!

I don't know what to say... Simply you all typed everything.
I'd just say... The episode is again suits my taste, is it that Aragaki going to become MC or what?

Badminton never looked like this though. Fun watch, I hope it ends well... Unlike a sports anime I liked before (the theme is about running, guess what?)
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Sep 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Dec 2013
The truth is that the main villain there is Ayano's father... bada bing, bada boom.
Sep 17, 2018 10:24 AM

May 2012
I hope Nagisa wins. I want to see Ayano expression when she lose !!!
Sep 17, 2018 11:08 AM

Jan 2016
Ayano's mother is fucked up, real fucked up!

Won't this easy for Hanesaki but my whole body is rooting for her
Sep 17, 2018 11:44 AM

May 2015
I don't really get Ayano and her mother..
I don't know why this kind of drama is needed?
Sep 17, 2018 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
Great post by @DedPanda above. Interesting to read that the anime actually worsened the material rather than improving it. Especially after reading comments on the mangaka's page: https://myanimelist.net/people/5424/Kousuke_Hamada

Choroshi | Oct 2, 2014 1:25 PM
this guy must find a good partner to help him create a better story

Gikiseima | Nov 13, 2014 4:13 AM
i can't deny,his art quality was amazing!
uuuuuggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh ..pajama na kanojo so much potential IMO .. he really need a partner for the story!!!!!

bunny1ov3r | Nov 27, 2014 6:34 PM
What this guy need to do is find a partner who can actually write good stories grounded on realistic development, and then he is set for creating a great manga.

Slyver | Mar 17, 1:37 PM
fascinating artwork, don't waste your talent, just find a partner as everyone wish.

DirectorK said:
I appreciate that [Connie] tried to make up for her mistake instead of just making things worse.

Did she ever even try to apologize? Did I miss that? I don't think I missed that. Yet I'm asked to put faith in the show that Uchika's "resolution" could be a positive surprise. Pardon my reluctance.

Forgot to add last night: 3-gatsu no Lion / March Comes In Like A Lion can be difficult to watch, and does alienate many people https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1706481#msg54229253 yet in sharp contrast to Hanebado, it earns mass praise for its rich, believable, humane characterization, given to antagonists and minor side characters alike. Season 2 is currently the #8 highest ranked show on this site - and yes, there are many undeservedly high scores on MAL, but 3-gatsu managed to get there without "appeal to mass audiences who just want to be entertained."

From August: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/08/02-1/5-anime-that-take-womens-sports-seriously#comments
PeripheralVisionary said:
I am unsure what those [serious drama] elements would bring to the sports genre, in any case. Seems [more] akin to surviving adolescent hardships with sports being in the foreground, than the greatness of sports themselves. Teamwork, camaraderie, perseverance. With how these elements are depicted, the sport itself seems trivial in comparison, due to being largely symptomatic of the actual issues here. Badminton in Hanebado isn't a cathartic measure nor a motivation or method tool to improve in all areas of one's life. It is the issue itself, or at least apart of it. Many sports anime present issues centered around sports such as acceptance of loss and perseverance, but these are more trials for the growing adult than pressing issues no one should have to deal with. Many of the best sports animes are the former, with Hanebado approaching the uncomfortable latter, but without the finesse or intent of March Comes In Like A Lion.
Sep 17, 2018 1:47 PM

Feb 2013
Uchika reasoning is so over the top I cant. Her kid loved badminton bc it was something she shared with her mother, with her twisted logic Uchika cornered lil ayano to improve in orther to earn her attention. And she left her alone all together at the end further pushing into ayano the idea that if she didn't do badminton she would lose any link to her mother. Its too sinister and traumatic lol the girl only wanted her mother to be with her, she already doesnt have a father omg

Hope Elena will bitch-slap that hoe. She didnt even know her childs best friend from kindergarden!

Ayano doesnt have a reason to play badminton, at this point I wonder if she even likes it. Beside the unhealthy relationship she has with it. And thats why she will probably lose the final. And I think its fine, losing is part of the game, ayano should be able to embrace that part too without feeling like the world will fall apart and she will be abandoned.
Remember when she lost to Connie and started making excuses bc she thought she wouldnt be able to remain on the team? thats how deep it runs.

Too bad connie flipped her switch afterwards. but sitlll. I feel sorry for Ayano xD
Sep 17, 2018 1:55 PM

May 2016
nDroae said:
Did she ever even try to apologize? Did I miss that? I don't think I missed that. Yet I'm asked to put faith in the show that Uchika's "resolution" could be a positive surprise. Pardon my reluctance.

Oh, come on. Do you really think Ayano would have just simply accepted Connie's apology given the state she's in? Hell, no! Right now Ayano is bent on revenge and Connie is her final target. Any apology Connie would have given Ayano would take as an insult, which definitely would have made things worse. Connie knew this and that's why she tried to do something different instead of apologizing.

As for Uchika, yes I would give her the benefit of the doubt because we still need to hear her side of the story before deciding on what she really is. I don't disagree that leaving her child behind was stupid but again, she's sees herself as a coach, not as a mother. This obsession of hers with badminton has caused a lot of damaged to those around her and it's something she needs to come to terms with it. Hopefully Elena manages to wake her up in their conversation because at this point Ayano is on the brink of insanity and the one who can save her now is her mother.
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
Sep 17, 2018 2:01 PM

Oct 2016
I wonder... how come no one is wondering where's Ayano's father.
Sep 17, 2018 2:21 PM

Oct 2010
inisipis said:

DirectorK speculates: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1740572&show=0#msg55743971

DirectorK said:
nDroae said:

Oh, come on. Do you really think Ayano would have just simply accepted Connie's apology given the state she's in? Hell, no! Right now Ayano is bent on revenge and Connie is her final target. Any apology Connie would have given Ayano would take as an insult, which definitely would have made things worse. Connie knew this and that's why she tried to do something different instead of apologizing.

No.
nDroae said:
I would have preferred if Connie initially approached Ayano in a *genuine* friendly way, wanting to be a family, and was rejected, simply because that's the realistic reaction you'd expect when a teenager suddenly meets the girl her own mother replaced her with.

Obviously Connie sent Ayano way out of reach, but Connie acting like she didn't just ruin everything was absolutely more stupid and pointless than apologizing.

DirectorK said:
As for Uchika, yes I would give her the benefit of the doubt because we still need to hear her side of the story before deciding on what she really is. I don't disagree that leaving her child behind was stupid but again, she's sees herself as a coach, not as a mother. This obsession of hers with badminton has caused a lot of damaged to those around her and it's something she needs to come to terms with it. Hopefully Elena manages to wake her up in their conversation because at this point Ayano is on the brink of insanity and the one who can save her now is her mother.

Leaving without a word after a loss would have been bad even if she had been only Ayano's coach.

The tragedy on Ayano's side of this show sums up to "Wow, look how much these characters are suffering and hurting each other from being written to be so amazingly stupid."
Sep 17, 2018 3:02 PM
Jan 2014
Nobody understands Ayano's hatred, grief and suffering.
That her mother abandoned her so Ayano could be better? what kind of shit is that! FUCK OFF!

What is Ayano for Uchika? a tool? a prodigy girl who plays badminton?? fuck!! fucking stupid woman! Ayano needed a mother while growing up not a trainer!! How the fuck that guy can be called trained? he only trains Nagisa privately, but he doesn't worry in one moment about the mental health of his other talented player in the Club !! a trained must ensure the health of the team both mentally and physically! If you can't understand that fucking shit, then you're not a coach! Only a shit that tries to be the image of something that isn't, Ayano may have talent, but that talent also requires a healthy mind in a healthy body, Ayano at this moment only has the latter, and the coach is as if "aaaah no it matters if she has talent " that talent helps an athlete overcome their psychological afflictions and emotional concerns? go fuck! I study medicine, and I know as a person and as a student what emotional pressures can do to a very prepared mind, and no matter how great, good or great you are in your field, if you do not have stable mental, social and emotional health all that talent will one day go shit, because your worries will end up surpassing your objectives, competitions, exams and career!

We aren't perfectly balanced beings at a psychological level, we are sensitive and all psychological shits affect performance in the short, medium... or long term.

Talent is a small part of a greater whole, but just as it is a part of the whole, it does not surpass the whole, because the whole is the sum of talent, efforts, training, exercise, discipline, mental and emotional health, all are variables that increase your percentage of winning a competition, approve an exam, obtaining a sports or university career, and this forges the character.
Sep 17, 2018 3:34 PM

May 2016
nDroae said:
No.
nDroae said:
I would have preferred if Connie initially approached Ayano in a *genuine* friendly way, wanting to be a family, and was rejected, simply because that's the realistic reaction you'd expect when a teenager suddenly meets the girl her own mother replaced her with.

Obviously Connie sent Ayano way out of reach, but Connie acting like she didn't just ruin everything was absolutely more stupid and pointless than apologizing.

You just answered the problem with one key word: teenagers. These are teenagers we're talking about here. At that age you're bound to make more mistakes than you would as an adult. And again, Connie didn't know about Ayano's condition until she actually met her. Even if she did approach Ayano in a nice genuine matter as you suggested the result would more or less be the same, especially given that Ayano already knew about her mother's other student.

DirectorK said:

Leaving without a word after a loss would have been bad even if she had been only Ayano's coach.

Did I say that it wasn't?

The tragedy on Ayano's side of this show sums up to "Wow, look how much these characters are suffering and hurting each other from being written to be so amazingly stupid."

This is what's called being human my friend. It's not that they're being stupidly written, the problem is is that you're not looking at it from their own perspectives but instead are just focusing on your own and making conclusions that in the end may not even be true.
Sep 17, 2018 3:47 PM

Dec 2017
God, I never knew the character that the show is all about (Ayano) could be such a little bitch. Look, I get it I get it, "but Ayano's mother left her, so of course she's going to have lots of hatred" and that's understandable. What I don't understand is her snarky and disrespectful attitude towards her own teammates just because her mom left her. She lets the competition go to her head and it easily makes her the worst character in the entire show. Hoping Nagisa can shut her the fuck up in the next episode or two.
Sep 17, 2018 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
Yeahhh no, this act of Ayano has gotten annoying and cringy to watch. I hope Nagisa smashes tf out of this bitch.

also fuck that uchika bitch. God this show got some of the worst characters in a while
Sep 17, 2018 4:50 PM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
nDroae said:
No.

You just answered the problem with one key word: teenagers. These are teenagers we're talking about here. At that age you're bound to make more mistakes than you would as an adult. And again, Connie didn't know about Ayano's condition until she actually met her. Even if she did approach Ayano in a nice genuine matter as you suggested the result would more or less be the same, especially given that Ayano already knew about her mother's other student.

And it would have made better television.

DirectorK said:

This is what's called being human my friend. It's not that they're being stupidly written, the problem is is that you're not looking at it from their own perspectives but instead are just focusing on your own and making conclusions that in the end may not even be true.

It sounds like you think the flawed characters in the other shows I praised are less human, less realistic than these ones, because apparently I have a problem with realistic human characters.
Sep 17, 2018 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
This episode hyped up Nagisa to win so much that it only makes sense this development leads to her winning, even though I still want Ayano to win! (Sorry watching Ayano steamroll everyone has grown on me)

Ayano seems conflicted with "why she plays badminton" I guess that's why she has that attitude towards her peers. She seems always hears the same stuff from people: "Because I love it" even cutting Nagisa off when she asked her.

I am glad Elena did recognise her mistake in roping Ayano to the club and now that she finally sees how Ayano feels it's time to confront Mom!
Sep 17, 2018 5:33 PM

May 2016
nDroae said:
DirectorK said:

And it would have made better television.

Perhaps, but then it would have been as interesting. Here, as a final effort let me quote what Nearly On Red said about Connie.

I think they could been more clear on this, but my read on it is that the only thing Connie knows she has in common with Ayano is playing badminton. She is super-competitive with badminton, Uchika is super-competitive with badminton, and so Connie assumes Ayano will be the same. She WANTS to bridge the gap between them, but does not have the social skills or wherewithal to do so in a normal manner. This is the same reason she shows up and immediately challenges her in the 9th episode, even though the entire point of the excursion was to confess that she wants them to be a family. Thus her later line about knowing they can only communicate with badminton.

The reason she's hostile to Ayano's opinions on being part of a team I think comes from insecurity. She wants to be a family with her, yet Ayano has seemingly created this pseudo-family of her teammates in the meantime. They become a threat to Connie (in her mind), and it makes her hostile toward Ayano's team and just the idea of team itself.

Shiwahime and the other FreGirls have apparently overturned this impression in Connie's mind in the interim, which is why in the second meeting Connie no longer has anything antagonistic to say about friendships or teammates. I think this is supported by her emotional display at the end of the 9th episode and her thoughts about introducing the FreGirls to Uchika and Ayano one day.

Either way, we should not expect characters who are dealing with past trauma or the fallout from other mental health issues to act in a way that 'make sense' to us in the audience. Even people with the exact same mental health problems do not necessarily understand each other or why they think/act as they do (at least before being trained/educated). I feel like abandonment issues match up with some of the unexpected behavior from both girls. There may be more as well (Ayano's fluid thoughts toward relationships remind me of BPD for example), but since they have the same mother it makes sense to me that they would both react to the same root cause.

Do you understand now why I actually sympathize with Connie?

It sounds like you think the flawed characters in the other shows I praised are less human, less realistic than these ones, because apparently I have a problem with realistic human characters.

No, what I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions until you see the full picture. I notice these things but I myself am a storyteller and I've met a lot of different people in my life. If you want characters to be super nice to each other and are passionate about the sport they play, then Harukana Recieve(another anime I've highly praised) would be better suited for you. But if you want characters who have interesting pasts with other characters and are only being human, not mention still growing up, and isn't just about the sport they play, then this is what Hanebado! is.
DirectorKSep 17, 2018 8:34 PM
Sep 17, 2018 6:41 PM

Nov 2011
BatWeeb said:
SoraSenpai said:

Ayano's character just becomes more likable in my eyes. yeah she's mean but again in a Solo sport all that buddy buddy crap is meaningless.

Uh, you know badminton is not purely a solo sport, right? There's also doubles. Just because Ayano plays solo right now doesn't mean she has to be an asshole with everyone else. She's part of a club and a certain level of respect towards her seniors and other club mates is needed.

nDroae said:

I don't hate Ayano, but I am not entertained.

"I am not entertained" describes this show in general when the focus isn't on Nagisa.

My feelings exactly.

She wasn't brought onto this team to play Doubles though.

This girl actually has the most pressure on her more then anyone else.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 17, 2018 6:44 PM
Jan 2014
Well, beyond Hanebado's drama, the most fun part is the creepy smile of Ayanon...

I remembered a certain girl who did not know how to smile from certain anime xD

It's you Hishiro?? xD 💚💚👌
Sep 17, 2018 7:17 PM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
Nearly On Red said:
[Connie] WANTS to bridge the gap between them, but does not have the social skills or wherewithal to do so in a normal manner. This is the same reason she shows up and immediately challenges her in the 9th episode, even though the entire point of the excursion was to confess that she wants them to be a family.

"I'm going to beat you and prove my worth to Mama."

Apparently "lack of social skills" can result in calmly and deliberately undermining one's own objective.

I know you read this:
nDroae said:
Meanwhile I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, where every seemingly unpitiable opponent gets a sympathetic backstory, and it works every time.

But then you say this:
DirectorK said:
If you want characters to be super nice to each other(...)
Sep 17, 2018 7:45 PM

Oct 2015
SoraSenpai said:
magical-penguin said:

May be meningless but some degree of respect is needed
What pissed me off from her behaviour this episode is that her commentaries are trying to provocate Nagisa (not very noble, but a legit strategy nonetheless) and then goes on to their match to complain about Nagisa strategy, please

See...I kinda disagree with the respect thing. It's an interesting subject since they are apart of the same club, but these two are not really friends, they're acquaintances pitted against each other. Like if the disrespect Ayano is delivering has an affect on the outlook of the school itself then yeah. But really what she is doing is somewhat natural.

I honestly don't think only your friends deserve your respect, even so, I think good sportsmanship enters here, if when one of her team mates tried to cheer her if she just left it is as "your encouragement won't make me play better lol", then ok, that's fine I guess, but then she goes to trash Nagisa, pfff

Sep 17, 2018 8:55 PM

May 2016
nDroae said:
DirectorK said:

Apparently "lack of social skills" can result in calmly and deliberately undermining one's own objective.

And that's exactly my point. She simply didn't know. If you read the rest of that of that quote Connie assumed that Ayano wouldn't be much different from her and that's where she made her mistake. She tried to make up for it but at that point the damage had already been done and there was nothing more she could do. Ayano and Uchika have to sort this out on their own now. I really don't understand why you can't see this when it's very clear.

I know you read this:
nDroae said:
Meanwhile I'm watching Hajime no Ippo, where every seemingly unpitiable opponent gets a sympathetic backstory, and it works every time.

But then you say this:
DirectorK said:
If you want characters to be super nice to each other(...)

And your point is? This is Hanebado!, not Hajime no Ippo or even Harukana Receive. Don't assume they're all alike just because they're all part of the sports genre.
Sep 17, 2018 9:48 PM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
nDroae said:

And that's exactly my point.

The YouTuber said she wanted to use badminton to bring Ayano into the family, not to "prove my [superiority over you] to Mama." Connie defeating her competitors didn't make them want to be friends with her. It's not believable that she'd expect Ayano to want to be family via being defeated.

DirectorK said:
I know you read this:

But then you say this:

And your point is?

That you should have known your straw man of me, that I "want characters to be super nice to each other," was unfair and unjustified. I also said in an earlier reply that I wished Ayano had been less nice to Kaoruko and (if offered the chance) Connie, to avoid the chain of "Well... yeah, and...?" that her side of the show turned into.
Sep 17, 2018 10:57 PM

May 2016
nDroae said:
DirectorK said:

And that's exactly my point.

The YouTuber said she wanted to use badminton to bring Ayano into the family, not to "prove my [superiority over you] to Mama." Connie defeating her competitors didn't make them want to be friends with her. It's not believable that she'd expect Ayano to want to be family via being defeated.

I would agree on that last sentence except you're forgetting that up until that point Connie knew very little of Ayano. She only knew what Uchika had told her but even then she still wanted to challenge her even though she wasn't ready. I say this because in one of the previous episodes when Connie left for Japan there was a scene she left a note for Uchika saying that she was going to Japan to face Ayano.

Now I have no way to tell for sure but it seems to be implied that Uchika didn't want Connie to face Ayano just yet. Whether this was because she knew Ayano could easily defeat Connie when she played seriously or that she knew that Ayano wouldn't exactly take kindly to suddenly having a step sister we don't know. It could be a bit of both. Again, we have to wait what Uchika's explanation is.

DirectorK said:
I know you read this:

But then you say this:

And your point is?

That you should have known your straw man of me, that I "want characters to be super nice to each other," was unfair and unjustified. I also said in an earlier reply that I wished Ayano had been less nice to Kaoruko and (if offered the chance) Connie, to avoid the chain of "Well... yeah, and...?" that her side of the show turned into.

In that case I apologize. I meant that towards audiences in general, not directly toward you. Obviously I should have worded that statement differently.

However, I disagree about Ayano being less nice. Wanting to beat your opponents for the pain they caused you is one thing but taking revenge is another. To quote from the movie The Forbidden Kingdom "Vengeance has a way of rebounding one's self". I understand Ayano's anger, but if she keeps this up it's eventually going to come back to haunt her.
Sep 17, 2018 11:08 PM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
However, I disagree about Ayano being less nice. Wanting to beat your opponents for the pain they caused you is one thing but taking revenge is another. To quote from the movie The Forbidden Kingdom "Vengeance has a way of rebounding one's self". I understand Ayano's anger, but if she keeps this up it's eventually going to come back to haunt her.

Yeah, I meant leading up to the point at which she finally snaps. The state she's been in since then has been pretty sad to watch.

Half of the reason why I kept watching this show is Nagisa, the other half is I find it fascinating that such an indigestible show was made (and made so well, visually). I still think the story is bizarre, but you have helped me understand it better, so thanks for that. :)
Sep 18, 2018 12:39 AM

Oct 2016
nDroae said:
inisipis said:

DirectorK speculates: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1740572&show=0#msg55743971

I've read the manga. I know what her father is. I was more wondering if they'll even feature him in the anime scenario, but since the series is about to end, probably not.
Sep 18, 2018 2:45 AM
Aug 2015
SoraSenpai said:
BY THE WAY
You can hate Ayano all you want but there's no arguing she makes the best faces in this anime.

LOL her faces and craziness are really what's making me enjoy this anime I just want to see how crazy she'll really get
Sep 18, 2018 2:53 AM

Jun 2017
So many people mad over Ayano's trash-talking and lack of respect meanwhile I'm sitting here loving every second of it.

We need more characters like this in anime.
Tomm01pSep 18, 2018 3:26 AM

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Sep 18, 2018 4:29 AM

Nov 2010
SoraSenpai said:
FINALLY Elena understands that she is at fault for bringing Ayano back into badminton.

Ayano's character just becomes more likable in my eyes. yeah she's mean but again in a Solo sport all that buddy buddy crap is meaningless.

I HATE Uchika so much. Is she just clueless as to why her daughter won't even talk to her?!?!

I think Elena is the most flawed character in this show, but that she brought Ayano back to badminton is not something i would hold against her. In that case she acted with best intentions and thinking getting her back to badminton would be a good decision which is not that far fetched.
The problem with Elena is the times she doesn't act. She says for herself that she is the best friend of Ayano (probably true), but in times when Ayano needs someone to kick her ass to set her straight she doesn't do anything and that is the moment a best/childhood friend is needed most.

I hope that she at least enlightens Uchika to why she is such a bad fucking mother because that woman still seems to be completely clueless about what she did to her child even with (weird) best intentions in mind. Otherwise it would be really hard to rehabilitate her inactive character in the time her best friend needed her most.
zwolf12Sep 18, 2018 4:42 AM
Sep 18, 2018 8:51 AM

Oct 2010
inisipis said:
nDroae said:

I've read the manga. I know what her father is. I was more wondering if they'll even feature him in the anime scenario, but since the series is about to end, probably not.

Oh, yeah, I doubt it. I'm a little surprised that her father was even brought up in the manga.
Sep 18, 2018 12:44 PM

May 2018
Well after a week of delay , ep 11 is here and it's round 2 for Nagisa vs Ayano, and something tells me that nagisa would be able to kick Ayano's ass. Now Elena is regretting of getting Ayano back to badminton and Ayano's mom still gets no respect from her daughter, but then again, she deserves it.
Sep 18, 2018 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
SoraSenpai said:
BatWeeb said:

Uh, you know badminton is not purely a solo sport, right? There's also doubles. Just because Ayano plays solo right now doesn't mean she has to be an asshole with everyone else. She's part of a club and a certain level of respect towards her seniors and other club mates is needed.

My feelings exactly.

That still doesn't excuse her shitty attitude towards everyone else. For an anime that gets praised for its "realism" with the characters they fail to deliver actual realism. In a real world scenario she would've already got bitch slapped by someone or even thrown out of the club.

I understand Ayano's situation, she had a shitty life because of her shitty mother and no one was there to help her, but taking it out on others is never justified and in a truely realistic scenario it would only come to bite her in the ass.
Sep 18, 2018 10:43 PM

Nov 2014
Oh are we finally going to get into the whole abandonment thing now? Geez they really should have addressed it earlier, it's hard to focus on the match with so many things lurking in the background.

Elena had better tell Uchika off, or she better have a damned good reason for doing what she did. I can hardly blame Ayano for being the way she is now.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 19, 2018 6:38 AM

Oct 2008
Alright Nagisa! It's time to Annihilate Ayano!!!
5/5.

Sep 19, 2018 10:11 AM

May 2016
BatWeeb said:
SoraSenpai said:

That still doesn't excuse her shitty attitude towards everyone else. For an anime that gets praised for its "realism" with the characters they fail to deliver actual realism. In a real world scenario she would've already got bitch slapped by someone or even thrown out of the club.

I understand Ayano's situation, she had a shitty life because of her shitty mother and no one was there to help her, but taking it out on others is never justified and in a truely realistic scenario it would only come to bite her in the ass.

Look at it this way, how do you deal with someone who's practically consumed by her own anger? It's true that Elena and the others should have done something sooner but the thing is this is Ayano's problem now. They can't do anymore for her. She alone has to deal with this on her own and the only she's going to learn her lesson is through the hard way. Trying to slap into her or kicking her off the team wouldn't do any good at this point. That would just trigger a violent reaction.

In other words, the best thing they can do for Ayano now is to let her be. Let her pursue her quest for revenge and she'll eventually fall on her own sword.
Sep 19, 2018 11:33 AM

Apr 2018
I really enjoyed this episode because we see the results of her training in a pretty big capacity. Nagisa is playing with much more intelligence, predicting Ayano's movements and such. Because of this, Ayano is playing much more passively than what we've recently seen from her. She's most likely waiting for Nagisa to make any mistake. i'm really enjoying this cerebral match up.
Minori Chihara <3
Sep 19, 2018 2:27 PM
May 2017
Short_Circut said:
SHE LEFT HER YOUNG DAUGHTER JUST SO SHE COULD GET BETTER AT BADMINTON hahahahahaha kill me now

I like it that they didn’t try to come up with an acceptable reason and fail (since I don’t think there is one), rather give an obviously bad answer, that normal people wouldn’t accept (neighter do I), but from Uchika’s perspective it kinda makes sense, because:
DirectorK said:
The thing you need to understand about Uchika is that she's a badminton fanatic. To her, badminton comes first and everything else is second. And that includes Ayano and Connie. If you look back at their previous conversations through flashbacks in previous episodes, she always talking about badminton and not about them. She loves badminton so much she's oblivious to everything around her.

In most other animes it is usually something like: OH, IT WAS JUST A BIIIIG MISUNDERSTANDING, and then a grand tear jerking reunion.
Here there is no misunderstanding: Uchika thinks she’s right (from her own twisted perspective), and Ayano (and we) are rightfully like: wHath the hEll.

DedPanda said:
So Uchika's reasoning for leaving her daughter was complete and utter trash. Not only was the reasoning awful but the set up for it was a waste of time. Like the anime was hyping up this fatal showdown between mother and daughter and...we get nothing. We don't get an explosive moment where Ayano could have just unleashed everything she had pent up in her chest at her mother or even some weird "show me through action" thing where Ayano and Uchika play each other to communicate that way. It was pathetic.

I think the anime is quite well produced in the way, that there is always a hook at the end of the episode.
I liked that when in the latter episodes after one of thees hooks when everybody expected this big showdown (me too), nothing happened. I value it when in an anime it is not self-explainatory what will come next. I liked it that the Episode 10 "hook" (Uchika asks Ayano to go to overseas with her) wasn’t in the start of Episode 11. Like Ayano doesn’t give her the light of the day. This request was so unimportant from the perspective of Ayano, that they don’t even mention it next episode.

DedPanda said:
Hanebado, in the manga, is more cheerful, slice of life, comedy with sports involved but has troubles trying to sell a serious plot as the sports/competition vibe plays on. So the issues that the original source has is only magnified in the anime but with a different approach. Though I just want to see how it ends, safe to say that this series is one hell of a mistake in my opinion.

And what would have been the point of making just an another cheerful friendship powered sports anime, there are a million of those already. I appreciate that this one is "deeper" than that, as I haven’t ever finished a single one of the forementioned kind, to be honest I don’t actually care about the sport.

BatWeeb said:

Whose realism? Every single person has a different reality. Maybe you can’t relate to it, maybe others can. But it certainly has more "realism" than the average anime with all the tropes, cliches, "baka baka", etc.

I doubt in a real word sceranio "she would've already got bitch slapped" (maybe that depends which county are we talking about, but in Japan, certainly not), or thrown out of the club: "ok you have been mean for the last 3 days, get the FCK out of here right now". Yes, I would expect if the situation between Ayano and the rest of the team doesn’t improve she would leave eventually, maybe after the tournament or something.
And yes, Ayano taking out her problems on others is not justified, nobody said it was. But in the real world it does happen a lot as well.

nDroae said:

Nobody asked you to sympathize with Kaoruko, Connie, Uchika or anybody. Turning back to realism, in reality can you sympathize with everybody? No. (And obviously you are not to blame, or wrong if this approach didn't work for you.)

Anyway, probably close to every sign is showing that Nagisa will win: she's nice, had some developement, is full of hope, has a score to settle. So people are not wrong to assume, she should win.
But some people (like me) just want to watch the world burn. Go Ayano, burn them all! :D

imSOuniqueSep 19, 2018 2:57 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2018

209 by Destroyer31 »»
May 9, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Ronninn »»
Dec 7, 2022 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.