Forum Settings
Forums

How Much Anime Does It Take To Watch To Make You A Veteran

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2016 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
i think around 1000 or more and atlest 50-100 of them full shows atlest5 to 10 years older than you
Though I said I was done with this thread, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the stupidity of this post. What your post implies is that people who are 30 need to have watched anime that is from before 1975. Logic. Makes sense. There's gotta be at least 100 good shows from before then, rightttttttty.
Jul 7, 2016 4:40 AM

Nov 2009
> How Much Anime Does It Take To Watch To Make You A Veteran?

For me, the answer is simple. If you consider most of people's questions/complaints on this forum (ecchi/moe is ruining anime, why doesn't the MC beat the shit out of tsundere, not all anime being made to a user's taste, or anything like that) to be childish - you're an anime veteran.
Is anime sexist? Yes, of course it is.
Power of friendship? Yes, anime has always considered strength of one's heart/spirit/mind to be an important part of personal ability.
Loli, ecchi and fanservice? They have always been part of anime. Now stop complaining and eat your greens watch this fun anime even though it has pantyshots.
Jul 7, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2016
hoopla123 said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Not a fan of it. I think Yukino's a bitch and drama queen. Yui is where its at but Hachiman is too stupid to see it.

^ gr8 taste.

worldeditor11 said:
Yui is too much of an airhead to be with Hachiman.

Yui is the biggest sweetheart in the entire series.

Yukino being the worst ship.

Yeah Yui is just adorable. Iroha is much better than Yukino too. I really don't get the writer's obsession with the latter. She is just boring and doesn't have any character apart from acting all bitchy for no reason (like in S2 of Oregairu)
Jul 7, 2016 4:44 AM

Feb 2010
Without defining what exactly an anime veteran is it's hard to say. There are areas where the amount of knowledge you can have about it is hardly connected to the number of series you watched and more dependent on your general interest and time spent researching that matter.

Also a lot of knowledge about storytelling in general can be acquired by having an analytical mindset with just about any medium (books, movies, TV Series etc..). Having watched a lot of anime makes it more likely to be experienced and well-informed in those areas, especially in terms of knowing your shit around anime history, significant names of directors and animators and writers and voice actors and how they influenced each other etc...

At least for me that was a field I slowly grew into over time and it does make a difference whether you just know these things or if you've actually seen the stuff you're talking about. But experience is not a guarantee and also not a necessity for knowing these things. It is only guaranteed to help you when it comes to anime-specific things, like knowing the specific subgenres and what to expect. But as long as you watch a decent variety of shows and genres I don't think you need all that much to be a 'veteran' in that regard. Maybe a few hundred shows of all varieties.

But what's also relevant is the kind of expert veteran knowledge you can only acquire if you're really dedicated to a specific genre or aspect. Personally I've gained more of the variety kind of knowledge over the years, but in every single area there are people who have seen much less than I have overall but who still are far more knowledgable and experienced with a specific genre or area of expertise. For example mecha, voice acting, movies, ecchi...

There are lot of people who are very focused on one or two aspects because they're dedicated mecha or ecchi fans or whatever. I will probably never compete with those people when it comes to their strengths, outside of maybe genres like sport or battle shounen who are two of my favorites. But I'm more interested in the bigger picture of the anime medium itself and putting everything in context instead anyway so that's fine. I'm just saying there is more than one type of knowledge and you can be an expert on a genre with an overall small list size.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 7, 2016 4:48 AM

Apr 2013
Omni_slash95 said:
hoopla123 said:

^ gr8 taste.

Yui is the biggest sweetheart in the entire series.

Yukino being the worst ship.

Yeah Yui is just adorable. Iroha is much better than Yukino too. I really don't get the writer's obsession with the latter. She is just boring and doesn't have any character apart from acting all bitchy for no reason (like in S2 of Oregairu)

Cuz shit taste is everywhere.

Some sad shit fam
Jul 7, 2016 5:12 AM
Mar 2011
Senpaoi said:
DateYutaka said:
i think around 1000 or more and atlest 50-100 of them full shows atlest5 to 10 years older than you
Though I said I was done with this thread, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the stupidity of this post. What your post implies is that people who are 30 need to have watched anime that is from before 1975. Logic. Makes sense. There's gotta be at least 100 good shows from before then, rightttttttty.

iv done it its possiable essy im born in 85
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 7, 2016 5:19 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Short answer; a lot.
I'd say I'm nowhere near close to calling myself a veteran. Even though I have over 550 entries on my list, not even 200 of them are individual series. Lot of them are multiple season anime. I haven't even amassed 100 days total for anime watching yet. So it's tough to pin point an exact number, but it's gotta be a lot more than what most people are throwing out there.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jul 7, 2016 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
Senpaoi said:

iv done it its possiable essy im born in 85
I admit sidetracked from my point a bit. Watching 50-100 anime that is 5-10 years older than you does not make you a veteran whatsoever. "Make" meaning that it's not the determining factor.
Jul 7, 2016 5:38 AM

Apr 2014
I think it's not only about how much anime you've watched, but also what you've watched. If you've watched series that are a bit beyond the "boundaries" and this combined with the fact that you've watched over 150+ anime or something, I guess you can say you're some what a Veteran.

Statically, I am one but I guess for a Veteran you also need to be able to have seen different kind of genres and plots and be familar with all kinds of ideas instead of only having watched Shoujo, Action, Mecha or Adventure for example. Veterans most of the time know all the genres just a bit and I guess that's what makes people "Veterans", although I hate the term itself just a little bit.
I am a straight woman and I like boobs.
-Said no feminist ever
Jul 7, 2016 5:41 AM

Jul 2015
The only veteran on this site is spacecowboy so @ everyone else, just stop pretending like you know anything about anime because you don't
Jul 7, 2016 5:54 AM

Feb 2013
The only veteran on this site is dateyutaka so @ everyone else, just stop pretending like you know anything about anime because you don't
Jul 7, 2016 6:16 AM

May 2016
It boils down to amount of time spent being an anime fan, not necessarily how many series you've seen. That being said, I've been watching anime for...17 years now? I'd consider that long enough to be an anime veteran.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 7, 2016 6:20 AM

Nov 2015
First you gotta ask yourself "am I ready for this? Am I ready to compromise on this reality? Am I ready to lose everyone and everything I love, sacrificing my sanity and my will to live?".
If the answer is yes then I'd say nothing less than 500.
Jul 7, 2016 6:27 AM

Jun 2011
To me, the benchmark has always been 200. But I guess there are a lot more anime now but... I would hope if someone has over 200 they have seen a wide variety of things. Most with over 200 have. At about the 200 mark is when I really started seeking things that weren't very popular... seeking less tropey things. I am around the 400 mark if you include incomplete anime now with over 300 complete. I think being a veteran is really that point when you really get into more niche anime... but you have also explored much of what anime generally has out there. If you make it to 300 without watching a single anime before 2005... I wound think that was very strange.

OmegaOtaku said:
Short answer; a lot.
I'd say I'm nowhere near close to calling myself a veteran. Even though I have over 550 entries on my list, not even 200 of them are individual series. Lot of them are multiple season anime. I haven't even amassed 100 days total for anime watching yet. So it's tough to pin point an exact number, but it's gotta be a lot more than what most people are throwing out there.
Oh wow. I have over 100 days with just over 300 complete. But I did watch all of Pokemon and Hamtaro and Dragonball... yeah... haha. I like a lot of long runners. I have over 400 entries.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedSep 24, 2016 8:46 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 7, 2016 6:49 AM
Jan 2016
Well, in my opinion, It's 1,000+ animes... Only in my opinion... Others would say 500+ or something but what makes you a true veteran is 1000+ that's what I believe and now I am 5,000+ episodes... :)
LEGENDARY BAKA
Jul 7, 2016 6:53 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
OmegaOtaku said:
Short answer; a lot.
Oh wow. I have over 100 days with just over 300 complete. But I did watch all of Pokemon and Hamtaro and Dragonball... yeah... haha. I like a lot of long runners. I have over 400 entries.

It's the opposite for me. I don't watch a lot of long running shows which is part of the reason why my total days watched and episode count is nothing special. I am always trying to cram more and more entries but can't dedicate the time for shows that run over 50 eps. YuGiOh is the only exception though for me.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jul 7, 2016 6:56 AM
May 2015
i have almost 600 in my list. Does that make me veteran.
ReeveriJul 8, 2016 8:16 AM
Jul 7, 2016 7:22 AM

Jun 2011
OmegaOtaku said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

It's the opposite for me. I don't watch a lot of long running shows which is part of the reason why my total days watched and episode count is nothing special. I am always trying to cram more and more entries but can't dedicate the time for shows that run over 50 eps. YuGiOh is the only exception though for me.
Yugioh is such a guilty pleasure.XD

But for long running shows- They make the best before bed shows. That is why I completed Hamtaro. It was just great to sleep to ham hams.
Jul 7, 2016 7:28 AM

Jan 2015
@Mamster-P

Is the one and only who can be called a veteran here in MAL..every other casual kids here can stop pretending that they know something better about anime than him
Jul 7, 2016 7:30 AM

Jun 2015
i guess you can call yourself a vet after atleast 300+ completed titles (TV series + all OVAs / releases = 1) or when you start recognizing VA s after a short line.
Jul 7, 2016 7:34 AM

Oct 2007
HaXXspetten said:
Completed count doesn't mean much though. Watch time does

This, basically, along with how long you've been into anime (in my opinion). I consider anyone with less than 100 days to be a casual lol.
Jul 7, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2015
I've seen dozens of people with 1k + completed,who still have shit taste.Numbers don't matter,only Inferno Copu does.
Jul 7, 2016 7:48 AM

Mar 2012
I've completed just under 450 and I'm feeling pretty damn jaded
Jul 7, 2016 7:51 AM

Mar 2015
Senpaoi said:
DateYutaka said:

There are a lot of shows before 1975 I hear good things about.
Jul 7, 2016 7:54 AM

Feb 2013
MechaGuy said:
Senpaoi said:

still, i think 50 is a bit of a stretch...
Jul 7, 2016 8:00 AM

Jul 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:
I consider This Guy a veteran but I don't see myself as one I still feel like a baby with how much anime I've seen

that guy has never seen sunlight in his life hahaha
Jul 7, 2016 8:07 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I'd say at least 300 (TV)... cause you know... there's the people who've seen like 80 anime and act as if theyre veterans lol AND theres people on here with 700 completions and only like 250 of that is actual TV anime.

So i'd also say at least 1/2 of your completion list should be TV anime, as anyone can get their numbers up with movies and ovas lol. although i don't consider Ovas cheating like i do movies or specials since many ovas are technically series (that just don't air on TV?)

so basically you're a veteran if your TV anime is at least 1/2 your list and that number is 300 or more

oh and uh.... i guess i'll have to through at least 5 years on there, although technically i'd say 10 or more. since i do somewhat consider ppl who grew up watching anime on TV as children veterans, but that kinda depends on how much you watched

Konte said:
@Mamster-P

Is the one and only who can be called a veteran here in MAL..every other casual kids here can stop pretending that they know something better about anime than him

........ lol....

i've been watching online since early 2009 and on TV since Pokemon first came out (only really watching anime since), so im definitely a veteran.... but uh.... im not that special xP
Jul 7, 2016 8:15 AM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
cause you know... there's the people who've seen like 80 anime and act as if theyre veterans lol AND theres people on here with 700 completions and only like 250 of that is actual TV anime.

Mamster you fascist prick!!

OT: But for real though, you don't have to watch a whole lot of anime to know how stuff works.
If you discuss anime with people and have an open mind, watch different kinds of anime I think you're alright.
Jul 7, 2016 8:17 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:
MechaGuy said:

there is alot of good stuff amde beofre 1980 and if your a youngling say 16 17 years old then you only have ot as far bck as midlate 80's ot mid 90's nd i reel of top quilty stuff form stuff made from 85-92

hl look at my ratings for show from the 60's its my higest rated decade[ that has full tv shows]

2000's mostly sucked and there has been around 5 anime in th leats ten years id call top level

my mean by decade
60s-2010's

60's 8.58
70's 8.4
80's 7.92
90 's 7.41
00's 6.35
2010's 6.51

manga my manga ratings are alot closer in the same time frame that shows manga as remaned consistent in quilty unlike anime

rage of 6.9-8.81
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

Jul 7, 2016 8:38 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I'm also considered a veteran amongst my small real life and internet circle, but I understand on MAL I'm actually pretty average. So... I don't know. Depends on what others think of you, I guess? I'd consider anyone who can recommend me at least five series off the top of his/her head in the genre I like to be a veteran.

γ€Œ I am forever your most devoted believer. 」

Jul 7, 2016 8:42 AM
May 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

I mean I have 73.9 days, and I barely have over 100 completed, in which a lot of those recently have been movies, OVAs, and specials that I didn't watch beforehand after finishing an anime, lol. I've been watching anime since Sailor Moon and Ruroni Kenshin were airing on tv, yet my completed list is low af compared to people who've only been watching for a year now, lol.

If someone's watched around 150-250 animes and can hold a conversation without sounding like their full of shit, then I'd consider them a veteran.
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Jul 7, 2016 8:58 AM

Mar 2012
I'd say around 200. People listing numbers way larger than this are pretty much saying that people have to watch a lot of horrible anime in order to know what they are talking about.

If I get to the 200 count, I'll have watched pretty much every anime I want and have been recommended.

I'm at 117 Completed, 3 watching, 6 On-Hold, and 10 Dropped. Already at 69.1 Days, which is WAY higher than the average person with the amount of anime I have. I have a lot of long series on my list. Now the trend is 12-25 episode seasonal anime, so you can really rack up the count avoiding long series.
Jul 7, 2016 9:30 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Gesu- said:
Mamster-P said:
cause you know... there's the people who've seen like 80 anime and act as if theyre veterans lol AND theres people on here with 700 completions and only like 250 of that is actual TV anime.

OT: But for real though, you don't have to watch a whole lot of anime to know how stuff works.
If you discuss anime with people and have an open mind, watch different kinds of anime I think you're alright.

were talking about being a veteran, not knowledge.....

vet·er·an
ˈvedΙ™rΙ™n,ˈvetrΙ™n/
noun
noun: veteran; plural noun: veterans

a person who has had long experience in a particular field.

i don't consider 80 anime a long experience.... do you lol?
Jul 7, 2016 9:32 AM

Jun 2011
romagia said:
MechaGuy said:

I personally know a 50 year old anime fan. They really wouldnt have much to watch. XD. I already know they watched Speed Racer and Princess Knight.
Jul 7, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
Gesu- said:

were talking about being a veteran, not knowledge.....

vet·er·an
ˈvedΙ™rΙ™n,ˈvetrΙ™n/
noun
noun: veteran; plural noun: veterans

a person who has had long experience in a particular field.

i don't consider 80 anime a long experience.... do you lol?

It took me forever to get to 70.
Stop discrediting me!! some people have lives you know
Jul 7, 2016 9:37 AM

Oct 2014
Joms said:
having watched at least 50 popular franchises can make you a knowledgeable guy on a certain medium, but I guess being a 'veteran' means you've watched more than the average person did, at least 100+ franchises.

Franchise means that you consider e.g. Pokemon, Pokemon Advance Generation, and other pokemon franchise as one.

But being a veteran in my opinion is that you muster a satisfactory knowledge about almost all questions regarding that field. And you must have some knowledge about how the background part of industry, the production team, etc. Not just having watched almost everything.

A fish that traveled the seven seas is still a fish
A bird that flew around the world is still a bird.
Unless you got the brain of a veteran; you are nothing but casual.
I've seen 92 franchises, most of which are not popular. I believe being able to write good reviews and give recommendations to newer viewers are better ways of proving your knowledge of anime than just watching the most popular anime. Seeing anime that many other people have seen and seeing anime that barely anyone has seen are both good experiences and are equally important in becoming a knowledgeable anime fan. At 527 anime completed I feel that a lot of people would mistake me for being a veteran.
Jul 7, 2016 10:02 AM
Mar 2016
I don't think this should be based so much on how many anime you've seen, but rather how many years you've been a part of the community.
Jul 7, 2016 10:54 AM

Sep 2015
"Anime veteran" is a somewhat vague term, but I'd say it's more time dependent than completion dependent, although I don't particularly care either way.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jul 7, 2016 10:56 AM
Mar 2011
RichtheLionheart said:
I'd say around 200. People listing numbers way larger than this are pretty much saying that people have to watch a lot of horrible anime in order to know what they are talking about.

If I get to the 200 count, I'll have watched pretty much every anime I want and have been recommended.

I'm at 117 Completed, 3 watching, 6 On-Hold, and 10 Dropped. Already at 69.1 Days, which is WAY higher than the average person with the amount of anime I have. I have a lot of long series on my list. Now the trend is 12-25 episode seasonal anime, so you can really rack up the count avoiding long series.

wwhat would you save if it was movies of all kinds

Jul 7, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:
RichtheLionheart said:

Sorry, don't understand this. I'd respond if I knew what you were asking.
Jul 7, 2016 11:36 AM
Mar 2011
RichtheLionheart said:
DateYutaka said:

say if you were talking about movies how would see this question

Jul 7, 2016 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:
RichtheLionheart said:

I assume you mean regular, not anime movies? 200 wouldn't be nearly enough. There are way more movies than anime and much more history behind movies. Most people have seen 100s of movies. I've met some movie buffs and I don't even want to think about how many movies they've seen. I'm no amateur myself when it comes to movies but I'm by no means a veteran in that either.

As far as entertainment, the only thing I'd consider myself an expert/veteran on are video games, especially RPGs. My knowledge is quite vast, I'm a big collector, I understand the history, blah, blah, blah...
Jul 7, 2016 12:10 PM
Mar 2011
RichtheLionheart said:
DateYutaka said:

I assume you mean regular, not anime movies? 200 wouldn't be nearly enough. There are way more movies than anime and much more history behind movies. Most people have seen 100s of movies. I've met some movie buffs and I don't even want to think about how many movies they've seen. I'm no amateur myself when it comes to movies but I'm by no means a veteran in that either.

As far as entertainment, the only thing I'd consider myself an expert/veteran on are video games, especially RPGs. My knowledge is quite vast, I'm a big collector, I understand the history, blah, blah, blah...

im a movie buff per say

and just ot say the fist anime if you incude Douga era stuff was made in juts after the meiji era

so yes anime is not THAT YOUNG per say

and if you icnduing manga in is yes it been around shorter time but there isore of it intotal buy three time if nire more

so say if ot was manga what would you say ould make an expert [ ofr manga i would say you world have read close 3000 or more ar lest

the thing about anime is there is no cannon like there is with film that film in all nations the main cannon i think you need to know of are US/UK France italy gerany Japan the new wave [ France ] THE blacke wave [ serbia/ former Yugoslavia] Dogma . and is you really a know all stuuf like mumble core

the lack of an anime cannon os what make it hard to be an expet for in manga i thing there is more a set cannon sice alot of the best manga in the cannon has never had an anime

Jul 7, 2016 12:35 PM

Apr 2016
DateYutaka said:

So people who where born when Astro Boy came out are fucked
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2016 12:38 PM
Mar 2011
zpenrith said:
DateYutaka said:

So people who where born when Astro Boy came out are fucked

nope since they have the advtage of have the ur to watch and then if in incuding non tv and then you have duoga witch goes bakc as faras 1918 the first ever anime

Jul 7, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 2015
Wouldn't it be around 200 as most people say, though I don't think there's a certain number....
nothing.
Jul 7, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:
I consider This Guy a veteran but I don't see myself as one I still feel like a baby with how much anime I've seen

Sometimes I wonder if that's a real profile, or if he is just trolling everyone.
Jul 7, 2016 12:40 PM

May 2015
I say it is when you have seen all of the top 100...
Jul 7, 2016 12:50 PM

Dec 2015
I think a fair mix of time watched and series completed is a good way to classify a veteran. I don't see the word of someone having completed 300+ entries and 50 days worth have more weight than say, someone with 60 days but only 50 entries because he watches the long ass series the medium has to offer. Then there's also the question of adding hentai to your list which frankly... rarely contributes to the critical mind and open mindedness one would expect out of a veteran.

St0rmrage said:
I've seen dozens of people with 1k + completed,who still have shit taste.Numbers don't matter,only Inferno Copu does.

/thread
Jul 7, 2016 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
more than thousand tv series yea i would count such person as veteran
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9120 by appledude1221 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 32 minutes ago

3 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - Today

8 by TsutanaiFuun »»
36 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7196 by Hikinekomori »»
42 minutes ago

» How to deal with anime backlog??

Xenofight - Yesterday

23 by Timeline_man »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.