Forum Settings
Forums

How Much Anime Does It Take To Watch To Make You A Veteran

New
Jul 7, 2016 1:23 AM

Apr 2014
So as the title says, How much anime do you need to watch to make you a veteran, I've only brought this up because out of my friends that i have irl, I've seen the most anime out all of them & so when I told some of them today that I've almost completed 400 anime on myanimelist they called me a veteran, which I replied saying that I'm nowhere close to being a veteran, there's people out there who have finished way more than I could ever dream of & So I ask this question here.
BootyMuncher9KJul 7, 2016 8:56 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2016 1:27 AM

Dec 2015
I don't really know but I think I've had enough Anime experience to be considered as a 'veteran'.
(completed: 150+, I think)
Jul 7, 2016 1:29 AM

Nov 2009
Still don't consider myself a veteran
Jul 7, 2016 1:31 AM

Sep 2015
hoopla123 said:
At least 200+ without including OVA
Yeah I thought something like this also.

I mean, I guess you are a "veteran" when you can easily recommend other people anime they will enjoy?
Jul 7, 2016 1:32 AM

Apr 2014
I consider This Guy a veteran but I don't see myself as one I still feel like a baby with how much anime I've seen
Jul 7, 2016 1:33 AM

Feb 2015
having watched at least 50 popular franchises can make you a knowledgeable guy on a certain medium, but I guess being a 'veteran' means you've watched more than the average person did, at least 100+ franchises.

Franchise means that you consider e.g. Pokemon, Pokemon Advance Generation, and other pokemon franchise as one.

But being a veteran in my opinion is that you muster a satisfactory knowledge about almost all questions regarding that field. And you must have some knowledge about how the background part of industry, the production team, etc. Not just having watched almost everything.

A fish that traveled the seven seas is still a fish
A bird that flew around the world is still a bird.
Unless you got the brain of a veteran; you are nothing but casual.
JomsJul 7, 2016 1:40 AM
Jul 7, 2016 1:35 AM

Jan 2014
I'm currently in the EXACT same situation as you. xD

Although I personally don't see how being a veteran can be substituted into a number since person A could have watched fewer anime series than person B but may have watched more episode due to watching more long running series. (like between me and you, our episode counts are similar but you've seen 100 more series than I have)

I'd personally say a person who's watched a decent amount would be about 7,500 episodes and a veteran would be someone who has watched 15,000 + episodes in my personal opinion.
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.”
Jul 7, 2016 1:38 AM

Apr 2014
Joms said:
having watched at least 50 popular franchises can make you a knowledgeable guy on a certain medium, but I guess being a 'veteran' means you've watched more than the average person did, at least 100+ franchises.

Franchise means that you consider e.g. Pokemon, Pokemon Advance Generation, and other pokemon franchise as one.

But being a veteran in my opinion is that you had a certain knowledge about almost all questions regarding that field, not just only one. And you had some knowledge about how the background part of industry, the production team, etc. Not just watching.
So then someone like Glass Reflection is a veteran then
Jul 7, 2016 1:42 AM

Apr 2016
200 will be enough unless you keep on watching hentai and ecchi :3
Jul 7, 2016 1:43 AM

Feb 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:
Joms said:

But being a veteran in my opinion is that you had a certain knowledge about almost all questions regarding that field, not just only one. And you had some knowledge about how the background part of industry, the production team, etc. Not just watching.

Most likely. He being a veteran has a problem to you?
I don't know much about him, but having adequate knowledge about what was pertaining to can be considered a veteran, or it could matter on how long he's into that field.

Do not think that a veteran will always have the better judgment. For in the denotative sense, a veteran is a person who has had long service or experience in a particular occupation or field, and does not imply the betterment of judgment and opinion
Jul 7, 2016 1:45 AM

Apr 2015
Salokannel2 said:
hoopla123 said:
At least 200+ without including OVA
Yeah I thought something like this also.

I mean, I guess you are a "veteran" when you can easily recommend other people anime they will enjoy?
Yup, what these two said ^^^^
Can't call yourself a veteran if you've not seen a wide varieties of shows.
Jul 7, 2016 1:45 AM

Jul 2016
Mr_Perv_ said:
I consider This Guy a veteran but I don't see myself as one I still feel like a baby with how much anime I've seen

This guy is one step above veteran if you ask me. 9,567 anime watched? Holy shit.
Jul 7, 2016 1:47 AM

Feb 2011
lurk /a/ for long enough and ull be a vet without having to watch anything
Jul 7, 2016 1:49 AM

Jun 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:

Motherf. and here I thought having 2k titles makes you god.

Jan 2014
I'd say 300 anime completed would make you one tbh.

Feb 2015
Kittenpotpie said:
lurk /a/ for long enough and ull be a vet without having to watch anything

True story. Lurking on anime and manga forums made me somewhat knowledgeable regarding the industry.
Jul 7, 2016 1:51 AM

Apr 2014
Joms said:
Mr_Perv_ said:

I don't know much about him, but having adequate knowledge about what was pertaining to can be considered a veteran, or it could matter on how long he's into that field.

Do not think that a veteran will always have the better judgment. For in the denotative sense, a veteran is a person who has had long service or experience in a particular occupation or field, and does not imply the betterment of judgment and opinion
Him being a veteran is no problem to me at all i was just using him to confirm what you said, so here's me tho I've seen almost 400 anime & know a good decent information about the anime I've seen & for a good 20 of them i have more information about said anime then the rest since I've liked them so much so with all that i'm still not a veteran.
Jul 7, 2016 1:51 AM

Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
All you need is analyzing skills. The title count doesn't really mean that much.

I'd agree. I've watched a lot more anime than the "average" person (who only knows about stuff like DBZ and Pokemon), though compared to people on this site I haven't watched much.
Jul 7, 2016 1:55 AM
Aug 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:

What the actual... Is he really that old?
Jul 7, 2016 1:57 AM

Feb 2015
Mr_Perv_ said:
Joms said:

Him being a veteran is no problem to me at all i was just using him to confirm what you said, so here's me tho I've seen almost 400 anime & know a good decent information about the anime I've seen & for a good 20 of them i have more information about said anime then the rest since I've liked them so much so with all that i'm still not a veteran.

You do not consider yourself a veteran. Others will.
If you feel you're informed enough, then you're informed.
But tbh, being a veteran has no bearing, they just recognize how long you've been on that field.
Jul 7, 2016 2:03 AM

Oct 2013
So....I got over 200 hundred anime. That make me a veteran? I knowledgeable in anime, at least in terms of recommendations.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 7, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2016
On_the_Lam said:
Mr_Perv_ said:

What the actual... Is he really that old?

Didn't even look the first time I saw his profile the first time around. Damm 86 years old and still watching anime....
Jul 7, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2014
Joms said:
Mr_Perv_ said:

You do not consider yourself a veteran. Others will.
If you feel you're informed enough, then you're informed.
But tbh, being a veteran has no bearing, they just recognize how long you've been on that field.
So if i believe that im a veteran then im a veteran & if im informed well enough with anime then im a veteran
Jul 7, 2016 2:58 AM

Mar 2016
200+ is actually a lot of content, personally, I'd say that 100 different anime series is about the lower limit. But it also can depend on how long one has been watching anime for. ;3
so, tell me where should I go?
Jul 7, 2016 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
A veteran is "a person who has had long experience in a particular field."

Everything you all are bringing up doesn't really fit into this. First off, anime watching is not a field. Some anime based fields would be anime production, character designs, anime directing, etc. Secondly, veteran is based on time, not numbers. Sure, maybe the definition has twisted to a more slang version, but I would say unless you've been watching anime since the early 2000's, you are by no means a veteran.

In my opinion, being an anime veteran is something to be embarrassed about. Unless, of course, you aren't planning on doing anything with your life.
Jul 7, 2016 3:07 AM

Apr 2014
Senpaoi said:
In my opinion, being an anime veteran is something to be embarrassed about. Unless, of course, you aren't planning on doing anything with your life.
How does being a anime vet mix in with someone having no life & embarrassment .
Jul 7, 2016 3:22 AM

Mar 2008
1500 anime completed or I won't even acknowledge you exist.
Jul 7, 2016 3:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Completed count doesn't mean much though. Watch time does
Jul 7, 2016 3:26 AM

Mar 2008
Jul 7, 2016 3:29 AM
Jul 2018
Mr_Perv_ said:
Senpaoi said:
Sorry, that was poor wording on my part. I should have made my point more clear. I was referring to the definition others were giving of an "anime veteran" containing a certain number of anime (since the concept of an anime veteran itself doesn't make sense to me).

Those who are adults that want to get far in life, that have watched hundreds of anime (as an adult) should be embarrassed. This does not apply to someone like me who is only a sophomore in high school and that is already 3 (will be 4) years ahead in math and 3 years ahead in sciences. My writing is on par of an average highschool Junior. (Don't use the writing on these forums to debunk this. I hardly even try to use proper grammar except on rare occasions like essays and for MAL Rewrite)
removed-userJul 7, 2016 3:33 AM
Jul 7, 2016 3:31 AM
Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:

No, it doesn't. Watch time can easily be raised by rewatching.

If both completion and watch time are taken account into judging a user's experience towards anime, then yes, they are relevant. But only when they are together, not as a single entity.

Ckan said:
1000 anime completed or I won't even acknowledge you exist.
Jul 7, 2016 3:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
worldeditor11 said:
HaXXspetten said:

If both completion and watch time are taken account into judging a user's experience towards anime, then yes, they are relevant. But only when they are together, not as a single entity.
Pretty sure most people have a rather low percentage of their watch time being through rewatching though. But yeah okay fair enough
Jul 7, 2016 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
worldeditor11 said:
HaXXspetten said:

Ckan said:
God I feel nerdy for replying again.

Watch time matters more because it includes movies (which are usually longer than 20 mins), rewatching (which should be included), and long ass series like FMAB and HxH.
Jul 7, 2016 3:40 AM
Apr 2013
Senpaoi said:

Those who are adults that want to get far in life, that have watched hundreds of anime (as an adult) should be embarrassed.

What a load of bull. Why the heck should I be embarrassed for liking or even consuming something I like in large quantity? No, anime is not inherently bad. If it does, all media should be viewed as such.
Jul 7, 2016 3:41 AM

Jun 2016
I'm not really sure how many but I guess if you've been watching many over a span of a few years then maybe you'd be a "veteran" anime fan :P
Jul 7, 2016 3:42 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
HaXXspetten said:

Ckan said:

Rewatching counts to your days watched?

What kind of fucking stupid shit is that?
Jul 7, 2016 3:43 AM
Jul 2018
worldeditor11 said:
Senpaoi said:

Those who are adults that want to get far in life, that have watched hundreds of anime (as an adult) should be embarrassed.

What a load of bull. Why the heck should I be embarrassed for liking or even consuming something I like in large quantity? No, anime is not inherently bad. If it does, all media should be viewed as such.
Nearly all media like anime (TV, Movies, etc) are viewed as such to the top 0.01%. Source: my brother, who is the financial adviser for multiple CEOs.

Don't say things that you don't know without acknowledging that you could be wrong, it makes you look stupid.

EDIT NOTE: reply to me on my profile, I don't want to spam this thread.
Jul 7, 2016 3:48 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Senpaoi said:

Don't bother feeding the troll m8.

Kids get off rustling people's jimmies on the internet.
Jul 7, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2016
Senpaoi said:
Mr_Perv_ said:
Sorry, that was poor wording on my part. I should have made my point more clear. I was referring to the definition others were giving of an "anime veteran" containing a certain number of anime (since the concept of an anime veteran itself doesn't make sense to me).

Those who are adults that want to get far in life, that have watched hundreds of anime (as an adult) should be embarrassed. This does not apply to someone like me who is only a sophomore in high school and that is already 3 (will be 4) years ahead in math and 3 years ahead in sciences. My writing is on par of an average highschool Junior. (Don't use the writing on these forums to debunk this. I hardly even try to use proper grammar except on rare occasions like essays and for MAL Rewrite)

That makes no sense though. What does anime have to do with getting far in life?
You can study etc. and still watch plenty of anime.
Jul 7, 2016 3:56 AM
Apr 2013
Senpaoi said:
Nearly all media like anime (TV, Movies, etc) are viewed as such to the top 0.01%. Source: my brother, who is the financial adviser for multiple CEOs.

According to Obama, he is grateful for the existence of anime. Source : Obama's mouth.

Senpaoi said:

Don't say things that you don't know without acknowledging that you could be wrong, it makes you look stupid.

I would rather be branded as stupid then as a liar if you told me that I should be embarrassed about what I like.

hoopla123 said:

It's either you or him. Unless you want me to rant on the truth about Iroha will not win at the end of the novel, you might as well let me waste some time feeding/bashing this Yukino wannabe.
Jul 7, 2016 3:57 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Senpaoi said:

According to Obama, he is grateful for the existence of anime. Source : Obama's mouth.

Senpaoi said:

I would rather be branded as stupid then as a liar if you told me that I should be embarrassed about what I like.

hoopla123 said:

It's either you or him. Unless you want me to spread the truth about Iroha will not win at the end of the novel, you might as well let me waste some time feeding/bashing this Yukino wannabe.

Fuck I just realized the kid is a Yukinofag.

Smh. Get him.

And Iroha not winning? Lying won't get you far in life fam.
Jul 7, 2016 4:00 AM

Dec 2015
I feel like the amount of anime watched is a small factor in becoming a veteran. I feel like a veteran is someone who has knowledge of the industry, knowledge spread across majority of the genres, and a decent amount of shows watched under their belt (so they can recommend to people).
Jul 7, 2016 4:00 AM
Apr 2013
You know it as much as I do. Yukino will be the end girl regardless of your warped love towards Iroha. Not Yui. Not Haruno. Not Kawasaki. Heck, not even the best candidate Totsuka will win against Yukino donned with plot armour.
Jul 7, 2016 4:08 AM

Jul 2016
worldeditor11 said:
You know it as much as I do. Yukino will be the end girl regardless of your warped love towards Iroha. Not Yui. Not Haruno. Not Kawasaki. Heck, not even the best candidate Totsuka will win against Yukino donned with plot armour.

Not a fan of it. I think Yukino's a bitch and drama queen. Yui is where its at but Hachiman is too stupid to see it.
Jul 7, 2016 4:11 AM
Apr 2013
Omni_slash95 said:
worldeditor11 said:

Not a fan of it. I think Yukino's a bitch and drama queen. Yui is where its at but Hachiman is too stupid to see it.
Yui is too much of an airhead to be with Hachiman.
Jul 7, 2016 4:17 AM

Jul 2016
worldeditor11 said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Better than bitchy Yukino! Yui overall is too normal for him.
Jul 7, 2016 4:19 AM

Apr 2013
Omni_slash95 said:
worldeditor11 said:

^ gr8 taste.

worldeditor11 said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Yui is the biggest sweetheart in the entire series.

Yukino being the worst ship.
Jul 7, 2016 4:19 AM
Mar 2011
i think around 1000 or more and atlest 50-100 of them full shows atlest5 to 10 years older than you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 7, 2016 4:38 AM

Oct 2015
I would say about 200, that gives you a broad enough scope, especially if you've gone out of your way to watch anime from different decades and/or genres.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is the Three Sword Style (Santouryuu) the most awesome fighting style or technique there is?

SmugMiri - Yesterday

14 by Jackof-allspades »»
9 minutes ago

» Why is ‘Harem’ in Isekai genres such a problem for people?

InfiniteAffinity - Mar 26, 2022

40 by ProdigyKing »»
20 minutes ago

» Are anime too exaggerated?

SimplyBrazen - 1 hour ago

10 by Nirinbo »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 3 )

melodyily - Jun 15

103 by Pokitaru »»
29 minutes ago

» Has anime ever had a depressing or motivating effect on you?

RobertBobert - May 30

28 by jhzs0029 »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.