Forum Settings
Forums

What's more important? The villain or hero?

New
What's more important? The villain or hero?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 25, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2015
Villains. Good villains are so entertaining <3
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Dec 25, 2015 2:06 PM
Dec 2015
The villain, if we talk about the great Palpatine kind of guy, is more important at the beginning. The hero very often start out as puny compared to the villain, who should be explored, like, his past, how he made his empire, his powers, his relationship with the typical old mentor. The villain is the guy who gets the ball rolling.

The hero gets more important than him at the end tho, since the hero grows stronger, he become more and more important in the schemes of things and is the one who, pardon the cheesy expression, stop the ball by punching the bad guy in the face.

Both should be extremely important but the hero is the guy who will prevail, and thus, he gets at least as important as the big bad, and ultimately surpass the big meanie.
Mar 17, 2016 4:49 AM

Aug 2015
I wouldn't bother watching fate if it wasn't for Gilgamesh. So the villain I guess.

And loli saves anime all the time
Mar 17, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2009
Loli are the best part.
Better yet, make the hero and the villain lolis,like in Nanoha, and the show will automatically become a masterpiece.
Mar 17, 2016 6:27 AM
May 2009
Mar 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Jan 2014
I voted lolis. Because lolis are justice xD Erm, I mean, I don't like super-hero battle shows.

But to be on-topic, I think a villain is more important. A cool villain can make the story much more interesting.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Mar 17, 2016 8:59 AM

Oct 2014
The villain drives the story. The hero just needs to beat the villain at his games while the villain is the one that needs to set up the games.
Mar 17, 2016 9:01 AM
Jul 2015
Don't get me wrong, I'll always need a good hero to get into a story but there are very few villains that I've seen (in the small amount of anime I've watched) that has made me say "wow, now that's a great villain". The focus is always more on how to make the hero great.
Mar 17, 2016 9:03 AM

Jul 2013
Gluzin said:
The villain drives the story. The hero just needs to beat the villain at his games while the villain is the one that needs to set up the games.

A good villain would only be wasted and look pathetic if he got beaten by a bad protagonist. Both the hero and villain should be equally important.
Mar 17, 2016 9:04 AM

Oct 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Gluzin said:

A good villain would only be wasted and look pathetic if he got beaten by a bad protagonist. Both the hero and villain should be equally important.
That's why Fate/stay night is bad, because the pathetic Shirou defeated the glorious Archer and uber glorious Gilgamesh xD
Mar 17, 2016 9:05 AM

Oct 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Gluzin said:

I'm messing with you, I understand that both are important, obviously, but I think that the villain is a bit more important.
Mar 17, 2016 9:12 AM

Dec 2012
The hero. In order to like the show I have to be able to care about them and what's happening to them, so they should likeable or least interesting or entertaining. The villain is disposable, and doesn't need to be likable, in fact it should be the opposite.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Mar 17, 2016 9:12 AM

Jul 2013
Gluzin said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

That's why Fate/stay night is bad, because the pathetic Shirou defeated the glorious Archer and uber glorious Gilgamesh xD

So you're saying Gilgamesh is a good villain for being nothing but a complete asshole to every person he sees? Kay...
Mar 17, 2016 9:13 AM

Oct 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Gluzin said:

So you're saying Gilgamesh is a good villain for being nothing but a complete asshole to every person he sees? Kay...
He's an excellent villain in Fate/Zero, but Fate/stay night has bad writing so of course he's not a good character there.
Mar 17, 2016 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
Gluzin said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

He's an excellent villain in Fate/Zero, but Fate/stay night has bad writing so of course he's not a good character there.

He's the same asshole in Zero so I fail to see your point.

Gluzin said:
but Fate/stay night has bad writing so of course he's not a good character there.

I laughed more than I should.
Mar 17, 2016 9:26 AM

May 2015
Gluzin said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I'm messing with you, I understand that both are important, obviously, but I think that the villain is a bit more important.

You have a point. The villain creates the conflict in most stories. They cannot exist without them. A lot of heroes may have a personality, but it's not one that creates a story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 17, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Gluzin said:

You have a point. The villain creates the conflict in most stories. They cannot exist without them. A lot of heroes may have a personality, but it's not one that creates a story.

Still waiting for you to explain how you define "personality." Does the quality of a character's personality run parallel with how much conflict they create?
Mar 17, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2013
aikaflip said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Still waiting for you to explain how you define "personality." Does the quality of a character's personality run parallel with how much conflict they create?

You're just going to run around in circles.
Mar 18, 2016 4:22 AM

May 2015
aikaflip said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

'Personality' is the collection of the characters' attributes - their preferences, biases, worldview, how they react to certain situations, wants and needs.

I also found this definition:

Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.

Personalities create conflict and connection. It's our differences and similarities that make us dislike or like another. We like someone for having a quality we wish we had, or dislike them for something we hate in ourselves.
Mar 18, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
aikaflip said:

I'm just seeking clarification.

TheBrainintheJar said:
aikaflip said:

'Personality' is the collection of the characters' attributes - their preferences, biases, worldview, how they react to certain situations, wants and needs.

Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.

Personalities create conflict and connection. It's our differences and similarities that make us dislike or like another. We like someone for having a quality we wish we had, or dislike them for something we hate in ourselves.

Thanks. I agree with the first definition, but I don't agree with the implication that only characters who create conflict have a personality. A personality is simply a composite of characteristics. Characters who create conflict have just one of many personality types.
Mar 18, 2016 9:46 AM
Oct 2012
Definitely Villain. In my opinion an anime is only as good as its villain.
Mar 18, 2016 9:47 AM

Mar 2015
i can imagine a hero without villan story works. but i can't imagine villian without hero story works. anyone? can give me example?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 18, 2016 9:56 AM

Oct 2013
I would say both but the Hero needs to exist BECAUSE of villains. Villains can exist whenever, wherever and can just wreak havoc!

The hero is the counter measure, the defence, the one who brings order and balance when the villain tries to upset it. Villain goes and so does the Hero but if the Hero goes then the villain stays and becomes stronger and much more evil with nothing to stop em 3except themselves
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 18, 2016 11:00 AM

Apr 2015
Neither. The two counterbalance each other.... Though I prefer villains. While the villains are more active, they do need a force to stop them and move the plot or they become boring, also why the heroes need a villain.

Actually now that I think about, I don't think I believe in the concept of heroes and villains. What makes the hero different from the villain and vice versa? They're just people after their own goals, no matter what they may be.
Mar 18, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2010
You can have a hero without villian, so... Hero.

Mar 18, 2016 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Both are very important, but while i really like a good villain i think the hero is more important for a show to sustain.
The show can have a good villain but if the hero is not well developed why should i care about him?
Mar 18, 2016 12:25 PM

Jan 2015
The best is when the MC is the villain/anti-hero. Everything else sux.
Mar 18, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2015
The antagonist.
You can replace the protagonist and let the story move forward, because the villain is the one that drives it. You CAN replace a villain, but that can pad out the story more than necessary if it's a villain that comes out of nowhere.
Mar 18, 2016 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
From storytelling perspective, villain is important though as it is a villain who actually have to provide the challenge for the hero and with it, an conflict that drives the story.

You certainly can't do wrong if you give both villain and hero a token loli because every badass needs a loli. So I vote for a loli because you gave me the option to do so.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Mar 18, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2014
All them lolis need love too, anyone who didn't vote for that is a heartless bastard that wants to rape brick walls.
Mar 18, 2016 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
I find both of them to be equally important. A good villain is a lot more fun to watch though.
frosthazelMar 18, 2016 2:06 PM
Mar 18, 2016 1:59 PM

Jul 2015
Both.
One cannot exist without the other
Mar 18, 2016 2:04 PM

Nov 2014
It is hard to find a good villain today.

Mar 18, 2016 2:10 PM

Feb 2016
Both are equally important. Complete each other.
Now kiss. (~ ^ 3 ^)~ <3
Mar 18, 2016 2:12 PM
Sep 2015
There is no answer. It depends. You can't just pick one universal answer for all anime. Each one sets different parameters which alters the show's dependance on the hero and villain respectively. And honestly I think the best shows don't have such distinctions between characters such as hero or villain. Everyone is an individual character with differenct motivations and goals and the viewer decides whether a character is good or not. Shows like Death Note, Fate:Zero and Psycho-Pass are such examples where the cast is comprised of anti-heroes, each fighting for their own reasons. That's how great shows are in my opinion.
Mar 18, 2016 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
the most important is how the hero reacts to the actions of the villain. so, both are very important!
Mar 19, 2016 2:18 AM

May 2015
aikaflip said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I'm just seeking clarification.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Thanks. I agree with the first definition, but I don't agree with the implication that only characters who create conflict have a personality. A personality is simply a composite of characteristics. Characters who create conflict have just one of many personality types.

I should elaborate more. Personalities by their nature create conflict. Even two people who are exactly the same can be in conflict.

Ants don't have personalities. So they don't quarrel. They work for the Collective and don't argue. When people have wants and needs, they often come in conflict regardless of what their personality is. Villains just lean more towards creating conflict, and stories are about conflict (inner or exterior).
Mar 19, 2016 2:22 AM

May 2014
The loli is usually the most interesting one so...
Mar 19, 2016 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
Villains bring more fun. I love antagonistic / rival characters when they're done right.
Mar 19, 2016 3:18 PM

May 2015
I have the philosophy that the hero makes the story but the villain breaks it. The bad guy has to be the most interesting person in the show because he's the driving force behind the conflict. Why is he or she doing immoral things? What motive do they have to cause conflict? A good villain lets you find out these things as the story goes along, and often I tend to root for them. Meanwhile, the hero gets by due to the fact that the villain's actions motivate him or her. If the villain of a story is unbelievable or uncomfortably written, I'm definitely not going to like the story.
Mar 20, 2016 2:55 AM

Jun 2015
Yuugen_ said:
A smart villain saves any plot.
villians who end up being on the same side as the heroes.
Mar 20, 2016 8:05 AM

Oct 2015
I would say villains but heroes are equally important.
Mar 20, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2015
without darkness there cannot be light.

Very philosophical
Mar 20, 2016 8:15 AM
Sep 2015
Villain of course. There's no Van Hohenheim without Father, or Kurapika without Chrollo. You know what i mean?? :v
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Mar 20, 2016 9:16 AM

Jan 2012
This depends if the villian/hero is the main protagonist then it matters which depends on their back story.

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Mar 20, 2016 9:21 AM

Dec 2014
One can't exist without the other, I prefer heroes but when a villain is as well-written and well-developed like Meruem, I just can't but love him more than the MC. It all depends on how good of a character it is, because before villain and hero. It's a character, it's a human. Wait, on another thought. I prefer anti-villains and anti-heroes more than both these. I think, You see I'm confused as hell lol but in the end. Hero it is :D
Thinking.....
Mar 20, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2016
Well,
If i heard from hero "I do those things because i feel it's right" than it wouldn't be that
much annoying. There are plenty of stories with such ideology so I am bit used to it.

But, if i heard from villan "I kill people, because evil" this would be definetly disappointing.
So I guess Villan is more important, but also i can't deny what Joker said:

so they both are needed, but with villan on the top :)
Mar 20, 2016 1:16 PM
Jan 2016
I would say it is both, because you cannot have a hero without the villain, and without a hero how can you determine who is villain.
Mar 21, 2016 12:05 AM

May 2015
KaoruMatsuoka said:
I have the philosophy that the hero makes the story but the villain breaks it. The bad guy has to be the most interesting person in the show because he's the driving force behind the conflict. Why is he or she doing immoral things? What motive do they have to cause conflict? A good villain lets you find out these things as the story goes along, and often I tend to root for them. Meanwhile, the hero gets by due to the fact that the villain's actions motivate him or her. If the villain of a story is unbelievable or uncomfortably written, I'm definitely not going to like the story.

I think it's a little sad that in many places, the villain creates the story. It speaks volume about the protagonist, how they're end up being fairly uninteresting.
Mar 21, 2016 1:08 AM

Apr 2013
Obviously the hero since we'll be spending a lot more time with him/her than with the villain.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - 56 minutes ago

5 by solacez »»
2 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

75 by SubstanceAnime »»
3 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 1 hour ago

7 by Andiff »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime which quality considerably decreased with production of new series

Shabo-kun - Yesterday

24 by APolygons2 »»
12 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard

solacez - 27 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.