Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 21, 2015 12:26 PM

Sep 2013
The major human establishments have been named, it will revolve around the kingdom for now.
RE-Estize Kingdom
Baharuth Empire
Slane Theocracy

So this is why people like seeing each other die :O
We are lower lifeforms :(

9th tier spell XD
They stop using English to name the attacks, it sounds bad :(

Jul 21, 2015 12:27 PM
Aug 2014
KuroYaksha said:
Wow. Something actually happened in this episode and not just pointless talking.
OK episode.

Still not a big fan of this world. I have no idea how it works.. it's just a bunch of name drops and info dumps. Is there even any real depth to this world?

Seriously, give us proper world building like in Magi or Nanatsu no Taizai

Throwing random shit at the viewer from nowhere isn't world building... It is done properly here which is why it is a bit slower.
Jul 21, 2015 12:51 PM

Nov 2008
Annuvin said:
Random rant:
I'm confused as to why do they address Gazef as a 'head warrior' in the funi subs. That just sounds kind of silly. His rank/title is '戦士長' so just like a (ship's) captain - '船長' - shouldn't he be called Warrior Captain/Commander or Knight Captain? I recall there was some confusion about that in the novel translation too. Anyhow I think that would match way better especially considering he commands some squads/armies or whatever it was.

They probably did that because 戦士長 is not a real rank so they don't have a translation. They just took it literally and I don't think it's that bad^^
Jul 21, 2015 12:54 PM

Sep 2012
I don't regret picking this up.
Jul 21, 2015 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
Annuvin said:
ichii_1 said:
They stop using English to name the attacks, it sounds bad :(

So much this.
The moment when Ainz started reciting 'Wall of Protection from Arrows' was truly cringeworthy.

You just made some D&D fans cry in a corner.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 21, 2015 1:01 PM

May 2013
Fantastic, absolutely beautiful. The MC really is something else, seems like he'll end up to be among my favourites.
For the rest, well what can be said that hasn't been said already, there is just the right amount of gore, the MC is competent, the story seems to be interesting (way better than another VRMMO anime like SAO) and well, apart from a few moments of obvious CGI, the series seems to be pulling through.
A really interesting series, with a MC that keeps me hooked.
Jul 21, 2015 1:02 PM

Jul 2012
Really liked this episode. Ainz seems to be pretty smart too. Very nice to have the MC in the "dark side", deadly magic etc, those knights don't stand a chance against him.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jul 21, 2015 1:06 PM

Jan 2015
I was humming a song the whole day and I couldn't figure it out, turns out it's Overlord's ed, the intro is very catchy! This is getting interesting and well Albedo with an armor is kinda cool
Jul 21, 2015 1:21 PM
Feb 2015
Great episode. So glad he saved the village and disguising himself was a smart idea. He is gonna blend in some how and hopefully he learns more about this world. I really hope there are other online people
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jul 21, 2015 1:23 PM

Mar 2013
I like how it pretty much stays true to the manga, however the pacing is a little bit slow for me.
Jul 21, 2015 1:24 PM

Apr 2013
good episode got some world building

i do wonder if the series will take its time revealing whether this is a trapped in a mmo story, or mc is actually in a coma, or he physically is not at home anymore and was transported into a fantasy world that is the same as the mmo he played

xSanoxJul 21, 2015 1:28 PM
Jul 21, 2015 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
I really liked the episode- That was actually interesting. I'm honestly surprised as I was ready to drop it before this episode.
Jul 21, 2015 1:36 PM

Jul 2009
SchwingBoner said:
[center]Albedo's armor is how a female armor should be. Bikini Warriors, take note.
Thank you, her armour looks epic and she still looks sexy. I'm very pleased with this show so far :D
InugirlzJul 21, 2015 3:03 PM
Jul 21, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2014
What, who would freely give the power to summon an army of goblins to a little girl?

Damn that undead knight was pretty brutal.
Jul 21, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2013
Nice to see some action, and a bit of grisly violence. Momonga sure is OP in comparison to those lower level measly humans though. Not much of a challenge at all. I loved that Death Knight, sweet, and where can i get me one of those goblin army summoning horns?
Jul 21, 2015 1:53 PM

Jun 2013
holy shit man he just kept stabbing him
Jul 21, 2015 2:02 PM

Dec 2014
Albedo's armor is epic. I hope we'll see another Death Knight sometime soon, another brutal and censorship-free scene like that is something I'll be looking forward to.

I wonder if we'll ever meet another player.
Jul 21, 2015 2:15 PM
Jan 2014
The Death Knight stabbing the guy reminds me of School Days.

Jul 21, 2015 2:23 PM

Dec 2012
Inugirlz said:
SchwingBoner said:
[center]Albedo's armor is how a female armor should be. Bikini Warriors, take note.

Thank you, her armour looks epic and she still looks sexy. I'm very pleased with this show so far :D

This was awesome I love this show also I was surprised when I saw Albedo in her armor. I thought she was gonna be half naked, but no which is great this is how armor should be. Awesome armor.
Jul 21, 2015 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
I am very happy about how the Death Knight was portrayed this episode, not censoring anything was amazing. Though this episode finally allowed me to pin-point my only problem with the adaption thus far, Ainz's (or Momonga, if you prefer) voice casting and general presentation. When he killed those first soldiers it was said that he looked like an incarnation of death, striking absolute fear into those that looked upon him, but every time I hear him talk it breaks that immersion. Though the full on blood fest is nice, the LN's just felt a lot darker... (Also wish we could have seen those soldiers prostrating themselves before Ainz and calling him lord.)

The exposition was only ok though, but that's to be expected from adaptations. Still a very good episode on the whole.
CamTheThiefJul 21, 2015 2:28 PM
Jul 21, 2015 2:41 PM

Jul 2014
Papa Bones is saving this season so far, I am very pleased with this.
Jul 21, 2015 2:45 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was way too kickass for words....Oh my god

The pacing was so fluid and the action scenes......Holy fuck that gore!!!!!!!!! Momonga fucking REKT those knights with his Death Knight thing

The world building, monologues and other exposition moments were really interesting too primarily the fact that Momonga and possibly everyone else in his guild literally do not give two fucks about humans lol

Can't wait to see what goes down next week
Jul 21, 2015 2:50 PM

Apr 2012
The world is finally expanding with some nice world building. I love this big papi personality that the MC has taken on. Authoritative, emotionless, willing to save/spare people without being overly idealistic about doing so. I wonder what other magic he has up his sleeve.

Best episode yet

Jul 21, 2015 2:56 PM

Jul 2014
I didn't like the way how they info dumped loads of regions names onto the viewer. Other than that, it was fairly solid.
"Hi!"
Jul 21, 2015 3:05 PM

Feb 2013
"Lord Touch Me" xD

Dat Temple of Doomesque heart snatch though. I actually sat up and said out loud "That was cool!"

Can't wait to see where his aspirations take him. Only a matter of time before we run into other players, I'm sure.
Jul 21, 2015 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
Well now, things just got unexpectedly gory...which is absolutely AWESOME!

And I really liked how Albedo was in full armour, since I also thought she'd be half-naked or such, considering her character. What a lovely touch.

And speaking of touch, 'Touch Me' I a hilarious name. I wonder if there's any other users out there...

Certainly, this anime is looking pretty solid. Hope it continues to entertain~

Jul 21, 2015 3:27 PM

Oct 2011
A-m-a-z-i-n-g!!

The Albedo's armor is so fucking cool! Love it. I can't wait to see her in combat!
Jul 21, 2015 3:32 PM
Feb 2015
I really liked this episode especially when death knight killed the evil knights.
Jul 21, 2015 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
Going to buy everything overlord related and hopefully everyone will so this gets a second season !

Also...why is this not in top 100 yet !!!!!!!!!! get to work people.
Jul 21, 2015 4:30 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode, I'm enjoying the adaptation, very good the scene of Momonga coming out of gate, and also the anime is not saving blood, I thought it might soften some fight scenes, but the battles are really bloodthirsty, I am excited to see more battles and fights to the death ..
Jul 21, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2014
Well, that was...EPIC!
I feel so excited to see the death knight kills those shitty humans lol.
This is just good...can't wait for more and would like to read the novel, but I still reading another series at the moment so this series will have to wait a bit.
Jul 21, 2015 4:50 PM

Sep 2011
Going to buy everything overlord related and hopefully everyone will so this gets a second season !

Also...why is this not in top 100 yet !!!!!!!!!! get to work people.
Jul 21, 2015 4:51 PM

Mar 2013
At least it was decent. Survive for next week. I was thinking about dropping this.
Jul 21, 2015 5:03 PM

Jul 2013
This keep getting better and better.
Jul 21, 2015 5:07 PM

Oct 2011
Definitely picking up the pace. Pretty brutal how the knights got killed. I wonder how this will play out in future episodes.
Jul 21, 2015 5:33 PM

Dec 2013
A lot of surprisingly nice world building which was nice to see. Happy to see that they really aren't afraid of spilling some blood.

Definitely my favourite episode so far. Before this episode I was actually thinking about dropping this show.
Jul 21, 2015 5:55 PM
Oct 2012
TheHonestThief said:
When he killed those first soldiers it was said that he looked like an incarnation of death, striking absolute fear into those that looked upon him, but every time I hear him talk it breaks that immersion. Though the full on blood fest is nice, the LN's just felt a lot darker...

I actually like his voice, he is surprised at how detached his thinking is when he killed people, so his voice mirrors this lack of emotion.

Your specific concern about the scene is warranted, but at the same time that is why adapting is hard work. We all imagine things our own way, but the animation has to make it real (and at the same time condense things). Since I think (having only watched the animation) that his lack of emotions is important for the show, I think is inner monolog while killing people was pretty good.

Very good episode, touches the buttons well.
Jul 21, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2014
This has 13 episodes but it's acting like it's Naruto and going sooooo slow so as not to outpace the manga. Hope this doesn't turn into another DanMachi trainwreck.
Jul 21, 2015 6:43 PM

Dec 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
TheHonestThief said:
When he killed those first soldiers it was said that he looked like an incarnation of death, striking absolute fear into those that looked upon him, but every time I hear him talk it breaks that immersion. Though the full on blood fest is nice, the LN's just felt a lot darker...

I actually like his voice, he is surprised at how detached his thinking is when he killed people, so his voice mirrors this lack of emotion.

Your specific concern about the scene is warranted, but at the same time that is why adapting is hard work. We all imagine things our own way, but the animation has to make it real (and at the same time condense things). Since I think (having only watched the animation) that his lack of emotions is important for the show, I think is inner monolog while killing people was pretty good.

No, I wasn't commenting on his lack of emotion, that's perfect. He spoke to the soldiers in a cold manner completely disregarding their feelings and fear. But that was how I felt when reading the LN, the way it played out in this scene his dialogue just didn't feel as imposing. His actions were the same and were handled very well, and the script was the same, but the presentation just didn't feel as awe or fear inspiring... It's absolutely my own personal gripe, though, I can't really lay fault on the anime.
Jul 21, 2015 6:54 PM

Jul 2014
TheHonestThief said:
Takuan_Soho said:

No, I wasn't commenting on his lack of emotion, that's perfect. He spoke to the soldiers in a cold manner completely disregarding their feelings and fear. But that was how I felt when reading the LN, the way it played out in this scene his dialogue just didn't feel as imposing. His actions were the same and were handled very well, and the script was the same, but the presentation just didn't feel as awe or fear inspiring... It's absolutely my own personal gripe, though, I can't really lay fault on the anime.

Well, he clearly shows a range of emotions in other situations, so there is a problem with his lack of emotions with regards to killing.
Jul 21, 2015 6:58 PM

Dec 2014
Klockan said:
KuroYaksha said:
Wow. Something actually happened in this episode and not just pointless talking.
OK episode.

Still not a big fan of this world. I have no idea how it works.. it's just a bunch of name drops and info dumps. Is there even any real depth to this world?

Seriously, give us proper world building like in Magi or Nanatsu no Taizai

Throwing random shit at the viewer from nowhere isn't world building... It is done properly here which is why it is a bit slower.

Throwing random shit at the viewer is exactly what this series is doing.
It's not proper world building, it's just really the slow (the first 2 episodes that is). With those useless two episodes, they could've gave us more info on this world and it's history.
Jul 21, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2015
Great episode. Although we didn't get to see albedo in action, just her appearance was awesome. Good development of the MC and approach to the situation. Also, bravo Lord Touch Me
Jul 21, 2015 7:14 PM

Dec 2010
Well shit. Didn't expect it to get this graphic. Damn, they got their asses smoked. Can't wait for more.

Also, am I the only one who laughs every time they say "Touch Me" ?
Jul 21, 2015 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
Finally the anime gets interesting. I'm glad I didn't drop it.
Jul 21, 2015 7:34 PM

Jun 2013
Huge improvement from the first two episodes!
Jul 21, 2015 7:40 PM
Oct 2012
TheHonestThief said:
It's absolutely my own personal gripe, though, I can't really lay fault on the anime.

I am happy you wrote it because I love honest assessments from people who loved the work in a different medium; and you kick ass because you knew why you felt the way you did. That is always excellent criticism.

At the same time, it helps to remind me how hard the task of those who adapt works into animation is. Because I am like most people critical of bad adaptions (and I like to believe I have a detachment because I am ignorant of source material until after the animation starts), good criticism such as yours, both makes me appreciate the original work AND humbles me with how difficult adaptions are.

So thank you.
Jul 21, 2015 8:14 PM
Oct 2013
Brutal and great episode 5/5. I was expecting a better reaction form you guys but I'm disappointed.

People's reaction when censored:

People's reaction when uncensored:

My best anime this season.
ExplodingGirlJul 21, 2015 8:18 PM
Jul 21, 2015 8:41 PM

Dec 2014
That undead knight wreaked havoc... Wow. XD

And when the scout reported that the village is "surrounded" and the ed song starts playing, i screamed. XD
I want more overlord!
testamentKAISERJul 21, 2015 10:21 PM
Jul 21, 2015 8:49 PM

May 2013
It's been a fucking long time since I actually can't wait for another episode of an anime. This show is good.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Jul 21, 2015 8:53 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, more violent then expected.
This series is much more interesting then I could have hoped for.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.