Forum Settings
Forums

Why do poeple watch sequels to anime they hate?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 31, 2015 7:15 PM
Jul 2018
Just to make sure they still hate it.
It's comforting, but sometimes the second season is far better than the first.
May 31, 2015 7:15 PM
Jul 2018
Don't even know why they'd finish the first season of something they hated.
May 31, 2015 7:18 PM

Jan 2012
LittleRookie said:

I think a have a theory about that. Most people able to finish the first season of K-On! because they expect to see more music but they were disappointed at the end.
---
May 31, 2015 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
NK_500 said:
LittleRookie said:

I think a have a theory about that. Most people able to finish the first season of K-On! because they expect to see more music but they were disappointed at the end.

I enjoyed both Seasons of K-On! but i can see what you mean.
May 31, 2015 7:25 PM

Oct 2011
Because I might change my opinion on the show
May 31, 2015 7:47 PM

Oct 2014
Though on average sequels are worse off than the preceding season, there are still plenty of instances where it's actually better.
May 31, 2015 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
Because follow-up seasons can be and have been better than the previous numerous times?

Working season 1: 8/10, Working season 2: 9/10
Minami-Ke season 2: 4/10, Minami-Ke season 3: 8/10
Grisaia no Kajitsu 0/10, Grisaia no Meikyuu: 9/10

Just off the top of my head.
this.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 31, 2015 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
MintPanda said:
Though on average sequels are worse off than the preceding season, there are still plenty of instances where it's actually better.

Very true. I was pleasantly surprised with Code Geass's second season as plenty of people told me it was terrible when imo it was as good as the first season.
May 31, 2015 8:21 PM

Apr 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
Because follow-up seasons can be and have been better than the previous numerous times?

those are good at all but what im saying is anime ppl hate

honestly a 4/10 to 8 is a big stretch but u cant tell me that watching a 0/10's sequel is remotely comprehensible....literally do u realize what a 0 is its the worst thing imaginable in rating....ur either trying to make a gross exaggeration or ur trolling cuz there is no way someone would watching something with no redeeming quality just to watch a sequel of it at all...u must have thought it was a different score.

saying 7/10 to 8 is nothing tho it just means u thought it was okay enough for u to watch another season and u happen to like it more than the first season...

but 0/10, 1/10? those types of anime are what u cant stand
May 31, 2015 8:23 PM
Apr 2014
Syndiciate said:
MintPanda said:
Very true. I was pleasantly surprised with Code Geass's second season as plenty of people told me it was terrible when imo it was as good as the first season.
Interesting. Code Geass R2 is usually one of the first example cited when people mention sequels that go wrong.
May 31, 2015 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
Gholy said:
Syndiciate said:
Interesting. Code Geass R2 is usually one of the first example cited when people mention sequels that go wrong.

I know. It surprised me too. I believe people didn't like the shift in focus from the thing but for me I didn't mind at all.
May 31, 2015 8:45 PM

May 2015
To fuel my hatred >~<
+ being a completionist
Like I had zero respect for Diabolik Lovers but you can bet I'm gonna watch the second season when it comes out. /sigh
May 31, 2015 9:11 PM

Sep 2013
The irony is, people who hate a show because they are pedantic (scrutinize it too much) and uncover too many minor flaws that they find unacceptable, are also likely (strong correlation) to be completionists who would stick with a show to the bitter end.
May 31, 2015 9:12 PM

Jun 2014
Torrible said:
The irony is, people who hate a show because they are pedantic (scrutinize it too much) and uncover too many minor flaws that they find unacceptable, are also likely (strong correlation) to be completionists who would stick with a show to the bitter end.

It's a sad truth of life.
May 31, 2015 9:16 PM

Mar 2012
Luckily I've grown up and realised to stop doing shit like that. When Yuru Yuri S3 comes around, I'm probably skipping it.
May 31, 2015 9:34 PM

Jun 2014
It really boggles my mind if the show is long and has a lot of episodes. For example, if you hated FT then decided to watch FT 2014.. then that's strange.
May 31, 2015 9:39 PM

Jun 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
It really boggles my mind if the show is long and has a lot of episodes. For example, if you hated FT then decided to watch FT 2014.. then that's strange.

Not only that FT2014 was a drop in quality from the first series.
May 31, 2015 9:41 PM
Apr 2013
They don't, usually. That's why sequels usually(or often) get higher scores than the original.

Except controversial/polarizing series maybe. Then it's just hype I guess?
May 31, 2015 9:43 PM

Jun 2014
Syndiciate said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Not only that FT2014 was a drop in quality from the first series.

Yeah.

The "appreciate the good stuff" argument is BS too. How many times do you need to watch a show that is painful to you before appreciating the good stuff? I feel that argument is just an excuse by people who deep down want to watch the show, but are trying to find an explanation to tell others why there are.

Fact: As painful as you find it, you enjoy anime and want to watch it.
May 31, 2015 10:10 PM
May 2015
Maybe they're completionists.
May 31, 2015 10:21 PM

Mar 2008
Moodie said:
Red_Tuesday said:

those are good at all but what im saying is anime ppl hate

honestly a 4/10 to 8 is a big stretch but u cant tell me that watching a 0/10's sequel is remotely comprehensible....literally do u realize what a 0 is its the worst thing imaginable in rating....ur either trying to make a gross exaggeration or ur trolling cuz there is no way someone would watching something with no redeeming quality just to watch a sequel of it at all...u must have thought it was a different score.

saying 7/10 to 8 is nothing tho it just means u thought it was okay enough for u to watch another season and u happen to like it more than the first season...

keep in mind that Grisaia is based on the visual novel with the same name. a lot of people that have been fans of the VN and have read the whole thing before having watched the anime adaption -> huge disappointment. that is no surprise considering the length of the VN. the anime is rushed as heck..
I agree that Meikyuu was a lot better

I don't really understand that mentality, either. But in this case roricons list is quite accurate.
May 31, 2015 10:28 PM

Mar 2015
elitist: to bash their fans properly and with solid argument if they prise it too much or insult them.
perfectionist/completionist: i have to finish every anime i watch.
optimist: maybe can be better.
apatist: well, i know it story, maybe i can watch it.
masochist: It's soo bad, it's good.

which one are you?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 1, 2015 1:07 AM

Jan 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Luckily I've grown up and realised to stop doing shit like that. When Yuru Yuri S3 comes around, I'm probably skipping it.

Dont fool yourself, you're going to watch it :D
Jun 1, 2015 4:08 AM

Jul 2014
Moodie said:
but u cant tell me that watching a 0/10's sequel is remotely comprehensible....literally do u realize what a 0 is its the worst thing imaginable in rating....ur either trying to make a gross exaggeration or ur trolling cuz there is no way someone would watching something with no redeeming quality just to watch a sequel of it at all...u must have thought it was a different score.

Grisaia is a special case for me as I have to judge Kajitsu as a whole. Episodes 4-9 of Kajitsu were basically the most butchering offensive trash possible. HOWEVER, if you pretend episodes 4-9 don't exist, suddenly it takes on the form of a really quite good adaptation of 1 of the character's routes (Amane) and those 7 episodes (1-3 and 10-13) are 9/10+ material.

Also, Meikyuu is mostly prequel, not sequel, and as such can be watched without watching Kajitsu first.
Jun 1, 2015 4:42 AM

Apr 2015
Probably, waiting for an improvement in the story especially if the new maker ins't the same as the former.

Or maybe they're just being tsundere
#CHEXIT
Jun 1, 2015 4:42 AM

Sep 2014
probably to show how much they hate it and want to lower it's score
Jun 1, 2015 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
Well it's worth it sometimes. I remember people complaining about Grisaia and now they're praising the new one.
Jun 1, 2015 5:23 AM

Nov 2012
I'm a completetionist. That said, if the sequel is too shit for me to handle, I'd drop it anyway unless the series was mega popular (SAO and UBW). Then I'm rather masochistic since I'd watch that shit just so I can complain about it. Yup, I'm one of those ones.
Jun 1, 2015 6:03 AM

Jul 2014
MA-SO-CHI-SM~

Isn't that what you call watching 5 eps of Toradora! and School Rumble San Gakki back-to-back followed by School Rumble Z? I became so sleepy, I nearly fell off my chair. No shit.

Masochism = Completionist
My pussy's glued to a building on fire...
Jun 1, 2015 6:08 AM

Mar 2015
JohnnyCageFan2 said:
MA-SO-CHI-SM~

Isn't that what you call watching 5 eps of Toradora! and School Rumble San Gakki back-to-back followed by School Rumble Z? I became so sleepy, I nearly fell off my chair. No shit.

nope.
masochist= you enjoyed anime you don't like.
completionist= you have to finish any anime you watch even you don't enjoy it.
so masochist =/= completionist.
Jun 1, 2015 6:12 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
JohnnyCageFan2 said:
MA-SO-CHI-SM~

nope.

Wouldn't a better definition of masochist be someone who watch a series despite hating it and not even once finding anything likeable about it? (like the people who rewatch Boku no Pico several times)
Jun 1, 2015 6:17 AM

Apr 2013
Because I have to finish what I started. Girls Bravo season 1 was horrible, but it only had one other season so I might as well just finish that too.
Jun 1, 2015 6:28 AM

Mar 2015
Snappynator said:
Unyilkdr said:

nope.

Wouldn't a better definition of masochist be someone who watch a series despite hating it and not even once finding anything likeable about it? (like the people who rewatch Boku no Pico several times)
it's not masochist, it's elitest. they watch properly (even more then once) any anime they hate, to bash it properly and argumentatif. just like SAO or AOT anime.
Jun 1, 2015 6:41 AM

Jul 2014
Snappynator said:
Unyilkdr said:

nope.

@Snappynator: Correct.

@Unyilkdr: I said what I said, because I enjoyed the pain. I knew it was going to be a pain. I do not enjoy the shows. Masochism: (in general use) the enjoyment of an activity that appears to be painful or tedious.

I might agree that likening being a completionist to a masochist was me taking liberties. However, can you really suggest that there are no masochist tendencies involved with being a completionist? What's the first thing that comes to people's minds when you say you are? "Shame. You have to wade through a lot of shit."
My pussy's glued to a building on fire...
Jun 1, 2015 6:43 AM
Mar 2014
That is one of the few things I will never understand, either. I get the idea that you may never know whether a show will eventually get better, but I also don't see how the time you have to spend in order to find it out seems even remotely reasonable to that many people. With work, friends, family and of course other hobbies, I just can't see myself ever wanting to complete a series that outright bores me, there's just always other stuff that I could do which I would actually enjoy. It seems absolutely illogical to me to sit down and possibly spend hours on something that you despise instead of watching a more enjoyable series or doing something else entirely.
Jun 1, 2015 7:00 AM

Nov 2010
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
The "appreciate the good stuff" argument is BS too. How many times do you need to watch a show that is painful to you before appreciating the good stuff? I feel that argument is just an excuse by people who deep down want to watch the show, but are trying to find an explanation to tell others why there are.

Fact: As painful as you find it, you enjoy anime and want to watch it.
It's both long and short term. Watching bad shows helps you with your overall scale, you can't know what a masterpiece is until you know what a piece of shit is. And in the short term when you go from a bad anime to a good anime the difference in quality is larger and thus it feels better to watch(like after you get sick, even just feeling normal is great when before you took it for granted). You can't watch only good shows or else nothing will be good and you'll get bored, you need the peaks and valleys, so learn to enjoy them or rather the process.

And that's not true.
Jun 1, 2015 7:03 AM
Sep 2013
For the hopes that the sequel might be better than its prequel.
Jun 1, 2015 8:09 AM

May 2015
Enmity_ said:

This.
The hope must live on.
Jun 1, 2015 8:38 AM
Dec 2013
Out of curiosity? And it's possible that the sequel might be better/more enjoyable than the first season.
Jun 1, 2015 8:46 AM

Jun 2014
Enmity_ said:

preach
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 1, 2015 8:59 AM

Mar 2015
I would watch the second season if I thought the first season had potential but did not get there

I thought Noragami was eh the first season but I am still gonna watch the second cause the story had potential to progress into something awesome in my mind
Yeet
Jun 1, 2015 9:12 AM

Jun 2013
Unyilkdr said:
Snappynator said:

it's not masochist, it's elitest. they watch properly (even more then once) any anime they hate, to bash it properly and argumentatif. just like SAO or AOT anime.

That's not elitism. Bashing on a show - properly or not - isn't elitism.
Jun 1, 2015 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
IntroverTurtle said:
It's both long and short term. Watching bad shows helps you with your overall scale, you can't know what a masterpiece is until you know what a piece of shit is. And in the short term when you go from a bad anime to a good anime the difference in quality is larger and thus it feels better to watch(like after you get sick, even just feeling normal is great when before you took it for granted). You can't watch only good shows or else nothing will be good and you'll get bored, you need the peaks and valleys, so learn to enjoy them or rather the process.

And that's not true.

That doesn't even make sense. Bad shows are the ones that make me want to drop anime because they're boring. They're bad because they give no enjoyment so why should I force myself to learn to enjoy them? And if a show has good characterization, good visuals and a good plot, why would it be suddenly boring because I haven't watched something crappy like Diabolik Lovers right before it?
Jun 1, 2015 2:20 PM

Nov 2010
DrCoppelius said:
That doesn't even make sense. Bad shows are the ones that make me want to drop anime because they're boring. They're bad because they give no enjoyment so why should I force myself to learn to enjoy them? And if a show has good characterization, good visuals and a good plot, why would it be suddenly boring because I haven't watched something crappy like Diabolik Lovers right before it?
It makes perfect sense. And I said to enjoy them or the process of watching them(some people do that by venting to others, writing a review, etc). And I've already said because it affects you in the long and short term, improving your overall anime watching career, lengthening and making it more rewarding if you are in it for the long haul.

I never said it would be suddenly boring if you hadn't watched something crappy right before it. I said watching only good shows will eventually become boring, like eating the same meal every day, no matter how good it was it will eventually get boring. Humans like bitterness in small quantities to cleanse the palette and so forth. It helps put things into perspective. And I was also saying that you don't have to but watching a good anime right after a bad anime makes the good anime stick out more and seem better (better is the keyword here, not from boring to best, just better), this is the short term part I was talking about. The same as watching the same genre over and over again eventually gets boring. Variety is the spice of life and that even includes quality.
IntroverTurtleJun 1, 2015 2:23 PM
Jun 1, 2015 2:22 PM

Sep 2014
ExTamplier said:
So that they could hate the sequel as well.
Jun 1, 2015 2:23 PM

Jan 2014
might as well finish something you start if put so time in it

Jun 1, 2015 4:08 PM

Apr 2014
Aqua said:
might as well finish something you start if put so time in it
might as well waste ur time when u could be watching so much more better for u
Jun 1, 2015 4:12 PM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
So that I can bash the anime even more

ExTamplier said:
So that they could hate the sequel as well.

Remv_quevav said:
bcoz of masochism and they can

^ this for me.
Jun 1, 2015 4:15 PM

Sep 2014
if the first season was bad but still has room for potential, i'll watch the second season in hopes of it getting better. if i absolutely hated the first season, i'll power through the second season so i have more content to go off of when i'm explaining why the show is shit.

if the first season was really, really bad and it hurts just to watch it, i won't even touch the second season.
flochelleJun 1, 2015 4:22 PM
Jun 1, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
Because people are masochists.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect, part 2.

Gashadokur0 - May 28

35 by Gashadokur0 »»
24 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - 11 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
27 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

12 by Hitagi__Furude »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

86 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
42 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - 12 hours ago

20 by MadanielFL »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.