Forum Settings
Forums

If MAL became a PAID site, would u still join?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 4, 2014 9:44 PM

Sep 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
rrexyl said:

Of course manually. I keep open the recent posts page and refresh it every once in a while going all the way back to where I was when I last checked so I never miss anything. Even do it in the morning with all 20 something pages.

Damn dude. That's some insane stuff.

(I think this was not serious, so how did you get here? I personally do it by just coming in and checking if someone replied, please help :( ).

I personally don't really care for the social network like design. In fact, I prefer the profile to profile thing over it. I think Hummingbird's biggest advantage is that people perceive that it has a better community. At least that's what most people point to when they compare it to MAL.
Jun 4, 2014 9:50 PM

Nov 2010
rrexyl said:

(I think this was not serious, so how did you get here? I personally do it by just coming in and checking if someone replied, please help :( ).

I personally don't really care for the social network like design. In fact, I prefer the profile to profile thing over it. I think Hummingbird's biggest advantage is that people perceive that it has a better community. At least that's what most people point to when they compare it to MAL.
What do you mean?

Yeah you may, but it seems like his users eat it up. Well that community thing only lasts for a little while. Of course when there's only <100 people in the forum like ever, people are going to know each other and generally be more well behaved. But people are already becoming sick of the forum.
Jun 4, 2014 9:51 PM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
rrexyl said:

What do you mean?

Yeah you may, but it seems like his users eat it up. Well that community thing only lasts for a little while. Of course when there's only <100 people in the forum like ever, people are going to know each other and generally be more well behaved. But people are already becoming sick of the forum.
that's a surprise.
Jun 4, 2014 9:57 PM

Sep 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

What do you mean?

How do you reply in like <10 minutes? Do you just constantly browse the forums and look for new stuff/check for replies, or is there some sort of way to get notified or keep track of all that stuff? Or do you actually refresh the recent thing?

IntroverTurtle said:

Heredity said:
that's a surprise.

Yeah. I personally feel like it is starting to closely resemble MAL forums. It still is a little better in my opinion (besides the fact that it is pretty quiet), but not much.
Jun 4, 2014 10:03 PM

Nov 2010
rrexyl said:
How do you reply in like <10 minutes? Do you just constantly browse the forums and look for new stuff/check for replies, or is there some sort of way to get notified or keep track of all that stuff? Or do you actually refresh the recent thing?
I already told you, the recent posts page. It shows threads from every board. This site has no notifications for the forum. Every 24 minutes or so I refresh the page, look it over for threads I'm interested in, middle click the left arrow(which brings you to the oldest post you haven't read) to open them all in tabs, then look through what I've missed.
Jun 4, 2014 10:03 PM

Jun 2013
As it is right now, hell no, there are other sites, there is Excel, and there are other forums where I could discuss anime and manga, probably with less stupidity. MAL is my first so that's the only reason why I'm still clinging to it, but if I had to start paying for it, then MAL should give me a good reason to do so.
Jun 4, 2014 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
no
Jun 4, 2014 10:08 PM

Jun 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
rrexyl said:
I already told you, the recent posts page. It shows threads from every board. This site has no notifications for the forum. Every 24 minutes or so I refresh the page, look it over for threads I'm interested in, middle click the left arrow(which brings you to the oldest post you haven't read) to open them all in tabs, then look through what I've missed.
Isn't that what most people do on forums that they're active on?
Jun 4, 2014 10:12 PM

Sep 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
rrexyl said:

Ohh... I misread something. I thought the 20 pages thing was a joke. Thanks, this seems a lot more convenient than what I was doing before. I've never noticed that the recent posts thing even existed. So that means there aren't any notifications, that sucks :/
rrexylJun 4, 2014 10:16 PM
Jun 4, 2014 10:13 PM
Aug 2012
No. This site is way too shit to pay for. Somebody should pay me for using it instead.
Jun 4, 2014 10:16 PM

Oct 2012
People pay money so that they can use sub emotes.

You would always find people that would be willing to pay.

I am not one of those people.
Jun 4, 2014 10:23 PM

Nov 2010
rrexyl said:
IntroverTurtle said:
rrexyl said:

Ohh... I misread something. I thought the 20 pages thing was a joke. Thanks, this seems a lot more convenient than what I was doing before. I've never noticed that the recent posts thing even existed. So that means there aren't any notifications, that sucks :/
No, it's not a joke. I go back 20 pages in the morning to see what I missed while I was sleeping. I do the same with HB, though that's more like scrolling down a few times as they're not nearly as active.

It is pretty convenient, especially if you're going to be constantly on.
Jun 4, 2014 11:12 PM

Jan 2014
Create my own site

brb learning python
Puzzle Time, When is my birthday? 22-8-222/
9-666-3
5-66-4-3-3/
9-666-3
666-8-666-3
666-8-666-3
44-8-444-3/
Answer is on profile but see if you can figure it out first! HINT: KEYBOARD

Jun 5, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
This site has no notifications for the forum.

It has, however, notifications for threads. And this is the biggest disappointment for me - that it is only limited to 300 threads. If that limit was lifted, I would wish nothing more from this site
Jun 5, 2014 5:06 AM

Oct 2013
LMAO hell no. I already printed off my anime list so I would just keep adding to it.
Jun 5, 2014 11:24 AM

Dec 2008
Jun 5, 2014 11:27 AM

Aug 2013
No.
Jun 5, 2014 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
No, but I can tell you why I would join if I had the money for subscription.

All the idiots would flock to a free site. If MAL was a paid subscription, I'd join because there are no more idiots here.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Jun 5, 2014 11:29 AM
Feb 2013
the site is fucking broken and you want me to pay for using it?

nope
Jun 5, 2014 11:30 AM

Apr 2012
not with this shitty interface

Jun 5, 2014 11:31 AM

Oct 2013
what a joke
Jun 5, 2014 11:33 AM

Oct 2010
I bet they paid OP to post this thread.
Jun 5, 2014 11:35 AM

Apr 2014
Lol i wouldn't pay 1 cent a year to be on this site. I only joined to keep track of my anime I've seen or thought sounded good. Only reasons i'm on the forums is to kill time on break at work, or wait for my family to go to bed so i can watch episodes without headphones on.
Jun 5, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
jimbobyoo said:
Lol i wouldn't pay 1 cent a year to be on this site.

I don't even use the listing function or anything else on this site and I'd still pay 1 cent per year for it if that's what it cost. I'm sure I get at least 1 cent worth of entertainment per year from MAL. If I compare it with the $18 it costs me to see a shit movie these days it's really a bargain.

That said, I wouldn't pay much more than 1 cent a year.
Jun 5, 2014 12:49 PM

Apr 2013
I'd only pay if they bring back [img] [gif] [yt]
Jun 5, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 2012
But of course.
Jun 5, 2014 12:52 PM

May 2009
With plenty of free alternatives, why should I? I can use AnimePlanet to keep track of my watched anime, and if I want to talk to other anime fans, I got other places for that as well.

This site would become dead in no time if paying would become mandatory.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2014 12:54 PM

Aug 2013
No.
Jun 5, 2014 12:55 PM

May 2014
nope, this is why web ads exist. so they can fund their site and we can use their site for free.
Jun 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Nov 2013
No.
I would go to another anime listing site.

I can see you

Jun 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
No.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 5, 2014 1:10 PM

Sep 2009
You mean you would pay for this shit? The website is pretty buggy and the owners of the site are unwilling to make any changes to the layout or the way the site operates. It does not seem like a prudent investment to me.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jun 5, 2014 1:12 PM

Jun 2008
Possibly, depends on the price.
Jun 5, 2014 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
AnnoKano said:
You mean you would pay for this shit? The website is pretty buggy and the owners of the site are unwilling to make any changes to the layout or the way the site operates. It does not seem like a prudent investment to me.

I pay money for tons of things that don't work properly. Doesn't seem that unusual to me.
Jun 5, 2014 1:20 PM

Apr 2011
pfffft no. I'd be laughing at people still signing up.
Jun 5, 2014 1:27 PM

Sep 2009
idungoof said:
AnnoKano said:

I pay money for tons of things that don't work properly. Doesn't seem that unusual to me.

And some people still believe in the free market.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jun 5, 2014 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
NOPE
Jun 5, 2014 1:29 PM
Jan 2014
no.
Jun 5, 2014 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
smelly-cat said:
You mean pay to use a site whose admin fucked off, where half the interesting topics are locked for 'listing,' and get warned/banned regularly for petty things? fuck no.

their listing feature is pretty cool, but it's a backup since I keep track of it on my computer too.

Oh yeah so interesting of a topic, wish we could have more of these
List 3 anime characters you wanna eat with
who's your waifu
whats ur favorite tsundere
who's ur husbando
pick 3 places u'd wanna live
whats ur favorite genre
whats ur favorite shounen
what's ur favorite bad guy

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Jun 5, 2014 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
I don't even want to be here right now. So no.
Jun 5, 2014 2:25 PM

Dec 2013
I have to pay just to write comments on a forums website?
Jun 5, 2014 2:32 PM

May 2014
Yeah, no thank you. Unless paying meant that the website would be developed, no.
Jun 5, 2014 2:45 PM

Jun 2008
Shhh don't give them any ideas!
I would either move to a different website, or keep a list of my own.
Jun 5, 2014 2:55 PM

Sep 2007
Pay for a site that just catalogs how much anime you've watched? Dafuq?
Jun 5, 2014 3:01 PM

Dec 2013
The reason we use this site is because it's free.

No way in hell would I pay to use MAL.
Jun 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2013
No, would probably go make my own website similar to this one. With blackjack... and hookers!
Jun 5, 2014 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Oooooooooh my god no. Paid websites? Pshhhhhhh.
Jun 5, 2014 3:10 PM

May 2009
No. I'd go back to using Excel for my list (or one of the newer anime listing sites) and other websites for info.

As for the forums, I don't think I'd want to be around if the only members are people who love anime/this place enough to pay to be on here lol.
Jun 5, 2014 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
Whats the point? Its not like theres no competition for this same exact concept.
Jun 5, 2014 4:13 PM

Aug 2012
Thread Locked

An emphatic no for various reasons. Not to mention a hypothetical that will most likely never be a reality.
Discussion's over.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Many COVID experts in Japan harassed after speaking to media, survey shows

Meusnier - May 22

9 by GinIonSui »»
5 minutes ago

» Do You Trust Anyone?

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by Adnash »»
25 minutes ago

» The Curse of Overtourism

Meusnier - May 21

19 by FruitPunchBaka »»
40 minutes ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

DigiCat - May 22

29 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

» Do you ever wish the internet would go back 20 years?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - May 22

27 by traed »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.