Forum Settings
Forums

Many COVID experts in Japan harassed after speaking to media, survey shows

New
May 22, 2:51 PM

Jun 2019
Many COVID experts in Japan harassed after speaking to media, survey shows

Many Japanese COVID-19 researchers who spoke to the media during the pandemic were harassed or threatened by the public, a new study has shown.

The research, led by Waseda University professor Mikihito Tanaka and published in the May edition of the academic journal Jinko Chino (Artificial Intelligence), is Japan’s first comprehensive survey on threats targeting COVID-19 experts.

The team sent a questionnaire to 121 experts who gave interviews on the pandemic to the Asahi Shimbun and the Yomiuri Shimbun, as well as five TV broadcasters, between February 2020 and March 2021. Of the 42 who responded, two were women. Thirty-four of the respondents worked at universities, six at research institutions and four belonged to government advisory committees, according to the paper. Half of the 42 experts who gave interviews to the media during the pandemic experienced harassment from the public.

Of the respondents, 14% replied that they were harassed after commenting to the media “most of the time,” while another 36% said they were harassed “sometimes.”

Alarmingly, three people said they received death threats, and two reported threats of physical or sexual attacks.

In addition, 29 people reported negative experiences such as slander and defamation after speaking about COVID-19 to the news media or on social media, with 23 saying they suffered emotional and psychological distress and seven replying that their credibility as experts was attacked.

The findings are in line with abuse experienced by COVID-19 experts worldwide. In August 2022, a 56-year-old man was sentenced to over three years in jail for sending a series of threatening emails to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert at the time. Shigeru Omi, Japan’s equivalent who long headed the nation’s COVID-19 response, has likewise recalled receiving death threats and a letter containing a knife, according to an interview he gave in a book published last year.

An October 2021 Nature article titled “Scientists under attack” reported the results of a survey it did on over 300 scientists, in which 15% said they received death threats. Also, nearly 60% reported attacks on their credibility and over 40% reported emotional or psychological distress after speaking to the media about COVID-19.

The Nature survey, conducted together with science media centers, a global network of organizations providing expert commentary to the media, covered experts from around 20 countries and territories, including Britain, the United States, Australia, Canada and Taiwan.

Tanaka, a science communication expert who himself served as a member of the health ministry’s COVID-19 advisory board, attributes the attacks on COVID-19 experts to the pandemic’s enormous social impact and says that lashing out may have been a coping mechanism for some frustrated individuals.

However, harassment against experts should be more widely recognized in society and appropriate action should be taken against extreme cases, so that they can keep freely discussing issues on science and society, Tanaka said.

“Organizations should set up a place where experts can seek psychological counseling, for example,” he said. “For experts, it may also be wise for them to split tasks and send messages to the public in a group.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/05/22/japan/science-health/japan-covid-experts-harassment/

Important note. This is not a thread to spread antivaxx propaganda. And no one cares if you took the vaccine... If you like vice signalling, you can go to Twitter.

How should one deal with online harassment? Death threats are already covered by the law, but the legal process looks painfully slow.
MeusnierMay 22, 2:55 PM
May 22, 3:43 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Hm, I am not really sure what the path forward is to be honest.
May 22, 4:14 PM

Mar 2008
There is a good chance a good number were Americans using machine translation because there has been cases like this before of that occurring ive heard of. Either that or it is same few people just sending multiple messages which also is a thing that happens.

In Japan you cant even insult someone online or even make true accusations against someone with evidence without it being a crime. This is wrongly used to protect businesses and politicians from whistle blowers. If the law was better written I kind of like the idea of people not being able to create lynch mobs after individuals on mere here say.

I think if people better understood how to process and contextualize information and think critically you wouldnt really see such things as often.
May 24, 11:12 AM

Jan 2009
to think the japanese public are accidentally immune to fake news like you said on the club this is surprising
May 24, 11:37 AM

Sep 2016
Meusnier said:
How should one deal with online harassment?

Ignore it, most of them already made up their mind so answering is usually pointless.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 24, 2:48 PM

Jul 2013
Does it matter when Near Term Human Extinction will happen?
May 24, 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
I do not agree with violent methods at all, but things have become way too polarized than it's good for. It wouldn't have to come to this if more critical voices against the official narrative had been heard and if people weren't pressured, morally blackmailed and even threatened and/or sanctioned for voicing a different view
May 24, 3:56 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to deg
to think the japanese public are accidentally immune to fake news like you said on the club this is surprising
@deg What did you mean by being "immune to fake news"?
May 24, 6:41 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to GinIonSui
@deg What did you mean by being "immune to fake news"?
@GinIonSui its in the news club like i said here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2159271
May 24, 6:57 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to deg
@GinIonSui its in the news club like i said here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2159271
@deg Thank you! It was an interesting article.
May 24, 11:11 PM

Jun 2019
Zarutaku said:
Meusnier said:

Ignore it, most of them already made up their mind so answering is usually pointless.

How are you supposed to ignore death threats? I would be pretty concerned if I ever received one, and I would definitely start legal actions against anyone who would threaten my physical integrity.
May 25, 1:07 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Meusnier
Zarutaku said:
Meusnier said:

How are you supposed to ignore death threats? I would be pretty concerned if I ever received one, and I would definitely start legal actions against anyone who would threaten my physical integrity.
@Meusnier I thought death threats are exempt from the discussion because you said they are already covered by law. I was just talking about "ordinary" harassment.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 25, 5:44 AM
Jul 2021
Well now that the chickens have come home to roost everyone that went public speaking B.S in favor the biggest con/B.S in history will be the target of hate/harassment is getting what they deserve.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 25, 9:09 AM

Jul 2013
COVID-19 is pure PsyOPs. It is just a tool for control by the governments. It is also being used to divert your attention away from NTHE.
May 25, 9:52 AM

Nov 2019
May 26, 5:50 PM

Jul 2013
Funny seeing Japan still making the falsified disease stuff done by overpaid westerns their own business while other countries are way past that last Year of the Rat bullshit.

Japanese people still wear masks despite the fact that masks DON'T prevent respiratory diseases any more than a condom preventing STDs. There are over 200 viruses that cause the pandemic we know as the common cold. How is a mask and living a sheltered life going to prevent every one of them from causing the cold?

Those so-called vaccines are for flu which is stuff that you can find anywhere. Year of the Rat and overpaid westerns played people good this decade.

Overpaid westerns always lying, when have they not?
May 26, 6:20 PM

Oct 2022
I think more interested in why you chose this way to frame a simple question about what to do about online harassment.
There's plenty of that just on this website itself.

There's a ton of skepticism and should be, whenever the media throws around words like "experts". WTF is an "expert".. If it's doctors, then they could have said "doctors". If it's researchers, then they should say 'researchers'. But they chose the word experts, allowing themselves to throw a bunch of people into a bucket they've defined, but that clearly implies they must be really important.

How the media decides who to call an expert is alone a problem. I also question what the motivation of these charges are; like online harassment is something probably all of us have experienced. I don't personally expect to get a pity party.
I'm not about to throw one for a bunch of people who are being described in extremely general terms- when I don't even know who they are.
And I don't have anything to say about the scumbag Dr Fow-chee, who pedaled fear and loathing and lies about a disease whose origins were well known within the administration he was employed by. The consequences of the panic that man instigated in the world led to unnecessary suffering, social problems, and to global policies that have driven a level of inflation which subsequently impoverished millions of people. All this surely has had an affect on the explosive tensions that have erupted in Eastern Europe and Africa.

If your aim was to see who believes in this 'Science' religion, well then you'll draw the conclusions you do. I had the above-mentioned covid illness last year. It was one of the weirdest and most unpleasant experiences I have ever had with an illness. But it's yesterday's news. We have to move on.
May 27, 2:40 AM

Jan 2009
I won't forget the harassment and medial bullying that has been done even against athletes like Joshua Kimmich or Novak Djokovic. At least the latter managed to not give in to the pressure. I also won't forget how established immunology scientists such as Prof. Sucharit Bhakdi have lost their honorary positions for not abiding to the narrative. But I wonder why there is no article in the mass media talking critically about that form of massive pressure and censorship of alternative voices
May 28, 2:34 AM

May 2013
I mean, what did they say about the coronavirus? I think most of the backlash was due to the fact that people were indeed frustrated over the total societal shutdown that was enacted in response to what in effect was a simple flu virus.

Even after getting the virus myself, well I guess it was a weak variant or something, I can't imagine actually shutting down the whole fucking planet just for that. Why didn't people just bone the fuck up and carry on? That's exactly what people didn't do, so the backlash was in response to that. Funny how nobody could seem to wrap their heads around it.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

More topics from this board

» What is Your Favfurite Cat Pose?

KittenCuddler - Sep 17

16 by Fario-P »»
8 minutes ago

» You get teleported to the year 2077. Which body mods do you get first?

Commit_Crime - 4 hours ago

16 by Commit_Crime »»
49 minutes ago

» If you happened to see a MAL user in real life

GinInYourJuice - Yesterday

30 by GinInYourJuice »»
49 minutes ago

» why is suicide seen as a bad thing ( 1 2 )

Rye_the_Guy - Sep 14

69 by Stavrogin_ »»
1 hour ago

» What is one thing you miss about being a kid?

Yuno - 7 hours ago

20 by traed »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.