Forum Settings
Forums

The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

New
May 22, 9:53 AM

May 2021
As the title says, this is a place to collect the most random of random shit :)

I'll start (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧

- Mint scented soap is the only soap that taste like what it smells

- If you place a phone speaker down on a marble top with a drawer or cabinet in it it'll work like an amplifier

- Coconut is a laxitive
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 22, 9:57 AM

Nov 2019
- Aloe vera juice with pulp is a laxative
- If you keep collecting sauce packets you won't need to ever buy condiments
- Use rice if you want to prevent moisture from making your salt flakes hardened
May 22, 10:06 AM

Sep 2016
"this is a place to collect the most random of random shit"

6 + 6*9 + 9 = 69
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 10:10 AM

Apr 2024
There are brilliant less known counterparts for each mainstream anime in the recommendations section, but nobody talks about them because almost nobody trusts recommendations.

Intelligence is the best single predictor of life outcomes, is highly heritable and has no proven means to be boosted by environmental influence.

OJ Simpson did 9/11.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 22, 10:43 AM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
"this is a place to collect the most random of random shit"

6 + 6*9 + 9 = 69
@Zarutaku This is officially the coolest thing i've ever learnt
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 22, 10:46 AM

May 2021
Reply to PostMahouShoujo
There are brilliant less known counterparts for each mainstream anime in the recommendations section, but nobody talks about them because almost nobody trusts recommendations.

Intelligence is the best single predictor of life outcomes, is highly heritable and has no proven means to be boosted by environmental influence.

OJ Simpson did 9/11.
@PostMahouShoujo

1) Gimme some these recs :3

2) Not so sure bout this one, i think it's more complex than that

3) 🤯
May 22, 10:55 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to DigiCat
@PostMahouShoujo

1) Gimme some these recs :3

2) Not so sure bout this one, i think it's more complex than that

3) 🤯
@DigiCat

Find a random popular anime on this website. Look up the recommendations section. Watch everything that entertains you enough to keep your interest.

This is probably the best way to discover something great that you haven't seen yet while ignoring all critics and reviewers with various degrees of competence. When I watched Black Rock Shooter, I was completely blown away by the creative genius of this gem and the way it took and recycled everything I saw in Madoka Maigca while maintaining its own direction - no other post-Madoka anime did it as brilliantly as this one.

Meahwhile, this brilliance was in the recommendations section for Madoka Magica since 2012. I've been ignoring it for two months just because I'm an idiot. I will never do the same mistake again.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 22, 11:01 AM

Jan 2022
Steve Harvey has made an attack on my life and wellbeing. Not a deliberate attack, more of a spiritual attack since Steve Harvey hasn't met me in person, ever. The attack was made when I was watching clips of Family Feud on YouTube, for this reason I will not watch YouTube anymore for the time being.
I am warning the international populace: Steve Harvey is dangerous. Proceed with caution when encountering him, physically or digitally.
May 22, 11:10 AM
Aug 2018
The French language has, like, more than a dozen different words for the word surrender. I remembered reading it somewhere, could be wrong though.
May 22, 11:55 AM

Sep 2023
Because its on my mind, fire and ambulance vehicles in Thailand are not owned/operated by the State. Instead they're owned/operated by private individuals, so some wild shit goes on with them.

Example One
Example Two

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
May 22, 3:42 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I bet you have never seen this before!

werljkrthjkltghrjklrtgehlerjhirgets hkjl5ecshijc5rymctrlmujeylopi564pymume56pv4auht4vyikl5ouwlctkhjlmd4j4cyehumroenvysiljut3wolchyjr4
May 22, 4:22 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to ST63LTH
- Aloe vera juice with pulp is a laxative
- If you keep collecting sauce packets you won't need to ever buy condiments
- Use rice if you want to prevent moisture from making your salt flakes hardened
@ST63LTH
The pulp is just aloe gel. The laxative part is yellow which is the latex and can cause severe cramping and is potentially dangerous.
May 22, 4:54 PM

May 2013
I watched an online documentary on spiders that said what separates them from other arachnids is how they mate.

Other arachnids are venomous as well as some others can produce webs as well. All arachnids also have either legs and two segmented bodies if I remember correctly.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 22, 4:56 PM

Dec 2021
There's more or less a 50-50 chance that you can/can't bend your pinkie finger without also automatically bending your ring finger. Try it, it's fun to feel superiority/inferiority over this trivial thing. I can solo bend my pinkie on my left hand, but not my right hand.
Daviljoe193May 22, 5:13 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 22, 5:41 PM

Mar 2008
Some people sneeze when they step outside from the light. It's genetic.

Some people sneeze from arousal or thoughts of sex. It has it's own wiki page even
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexually_induced_sneezing

Daviljoe193 said:
There's more or less a 50-50 chance that you can/can't bend your pinkie finger without also automatically bending your ring finger. Try it, it's fun to feel superiority/inferiority over this trivial thing. I can solo bend my pinkie on my left hand, but not my right hand.

Does it count if it only moves a little? But yeah same seems easier on left hand.
traedMay 22, 5:45 PM
May 22, 5:54 PM
Aug 2018
Reply to traed

Some people sneeze from arousal or thoughts of sex. It has it's own wiki page even

Daviljoe193 said:

Does it count if it only moves a little? But yeah same seems easier on left hand.
@traed Interesting. It's harder for me to do it on the left. The right is easy.
May 22, 6:00 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to traed

Daviljoe193 said:

@traed What I always heard was that whenever you stepped into sunlight from poorly lit place was that the nerves in your nose get overstimulated and cause you to sneeze as a result of that overstimulation. Interesting to hear though.

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
May 22, 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to bevarnow
@traed What I always heard was that whenever you stepped into sunlight from poorly lit place was that the nerves in your nose get overstimulated and cause you to sneeze as a result of that overstimulation. Interesting to hear though.
@bevarnow
Some light does sort of pass through the nose so I could see how that might be the case. But it only happens to some people. Im not one of them.

I will add people with lighter eyes like blue are more sensitive to light than people with darker like brown eyes because it gets filtered more. This makes people with lighter eyes able to see in low light better than dark eyed people so you will often find people with dark eyes questioning them how they are able to see in that level of lighting.
May 22, 6:25 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to traed

Daviljoe193 said:

@traed Basically (These are my hands), this is bend superiority...

...and bend inferiority...

It's just weird that it can be either both or just one that's able/unable to do this.

EDIT: Never thought there'd be a day where I post GIFs of my hands on an anime forum.
Daviljoe193May 22, 6:41 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 22, 6:35 PM

Dec 2021
China is bigger THAN 2 football fields

May 23, 5:04 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing, despite fat and slim being antonyms.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 23, 6:46 AM

Feb 2016
I happen to own a book on the subject.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 6:50 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to traed

Daviljoe193 said:

traed said:

And here I thought the anime nosebleed had no basis in reality.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 7:20 AM
Dec 2022
Tongji University in Shanghai, China, originally started as a medical school by Germans. This university's earlier role was promoting the German language in China.

Keio University in Minato, Tokyo, Japan, originally started as a feudal domain school in 1796, then became a school to train in European style industries and knowledge in 1858, then became a formal 4 year university in 1920.

North Korea's Pyongyang University of Science and Technology is North Korea's only private university and is funded by Korean-American Christians.
May 24, 6:36 AM

Feb 2020
I still remember the name of Steve Irwin's dog, even though she's probably joined him in croc heaven.

I still remember the PIN number of my Mother's bank card (she had me do it for her as she couldn't figure it out), even though she died almost 3 years ago. Sometimes I still find myself about to enter the number on my own card even now😳
May 24, 2:08 PM

Jan 2024
Don't read if you're too squeamish (scent-related):
May 24, 2:52 PM

Jul 2013
Good news...Near Term Human Extinction will definitely happen. And nobody will survive it. It is probably just a few years away at this point. I look forward to your reaction when it arrives.
May 24, 3:00 PM

Mar 2023
Electric eels aren't really eels. Though commonly referred to as an eel, this fish is not considered a “true” eel. While true eels are classified in the order Anguilliformes, the electric eel is actually in the order Gymnotiformes, the knife fishes. Knife fishes have no dorsal fin and a long, extended anal fin.
May 24, 5:41 PM
May 24, 5:51 PM

Aug 2012
Fish aren't a monophyletic group. Which means they're not necessarily more related to each other than to other groups. If you'd take them as a monophyletic group that'd mean that all tetrapods including us are also fish. The same holds true for reptiles, if you view them as monophyletic that means birds are also reptiles since they fall under Archosauria just like Crocodilia does.

For both cases it's because the fish and reptile categories were defined before we had any clue about fossils, genetics and the deep past so we lumped animals with superficially similar characteristics together in one group while they aren't necessarily closely related.

Same goes with plants, trees are widely varied and are often more closely related to other types of plants than to other trees.
May 24, 7:04 PM
Dec 2022

American or Japanese companies often team up with Chinese companies and it's a fact that a handful of Chinese animation studios became super wealthy due to having easier access to super cheap North Korean animators.
May 24, 7:58 PM

Jul 2020
A day on the planet Venus is longer than a year on Venus.
It takes Venus 243 Earth days to rotate once, but it orbits the sun in just 225 Earth days.
May 24, 8:04 PM

Jan 2017
Somehow this one fact has stuck with me for years.

A group of owls is called a parliament.
May 24, 8:17 PM

Dec 2021
The English word "free" is derived from the Latin word "furry," which in ye olden days meant to have endless options opened up due to one's softness. This is why when you say the word free slowly, it sounds exactly like you are saying furry.
May 24, 8:19 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Dracowyn
Fish aren't a monophyletic group. Which means they're not necessarily more related to each other than to other groups. If you'd take them as a monophyletic group that'd mean that all tetrapods including us are also fish. The same holds true for reptiles, if you view them as monophyletic that means birds are also reptiles since they fall under Archosauria just like Crocodilia does.

For both cases it's because the fish and reptile categories were defined before we had any clue about fossils, genetics and the deep past so we lumped animals with superficially similar characteristics together in one group while they aren't necessarily closely related.

Same goes with plants, trees are widely varied and are often more closely related to other types of plants than to other trees.
Dracowyn said:

Those analogous features make life so hard for taxonomists.
その目だれの目?
May 25, 12:10 AM

Mar 2021
Humans are advised against eating polar bear liver as it has too much vitamin A.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 30, 1:56 AM

Sep 2020
Mongolia has the highest testosterone rate in the world

Singapore is more populated than Mongolia
Jun 7, 9:47 AM

May 2021
Reply to Rndmguypassingby

Singapore is more populated than Mongolia
@Rndmguypassingby LMFAO

Can't say that ain't true...
Jun 7, 9:56 AM

May 2021
- Gas tubes have an expiry date

- 20 human years is 100 cat years
Jun 7, 10:03 AM

Sep 2016
Rndmguypassingby said:

Possibly because ~8% of Mongolians are blood related with Genghis Khan.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 7, 11:20 AM

Jul 2023
If you are writing something of novel length (though not necessarily a novel itself) and are in the business of having it published, but have some concerns about plagiarism even beyond the scope of having your work protected through copyright, you can be clever and poison your text/excerpts/scripts/passages/prose with careful sentence structure and letter arrangement like so,

Lovely are the dirges whence oaken boxes rest. Over somber rapture of floating choral tones rise the spirits of the mourners who came to celebrate a life lived best. No earthly chord could sound that weeping choir, played at its beauty-best when trilled with a bow of sorrow. Grief holds a note unlike any other when a loved one sees no lover on the morrow. Nicety and formal take leave of a procession black. Ignorance and grudge cannot bear to be seen in the presence of a casket or cremation, nor before those taken aback. Never does a wound of the soul's heart mend. Each and every void made is permanent, and only Time itself its fillings lend. So say a quiet prayer for the passing of a soul, when and wherever it may go, just as you may desire when you arrive to your own end.

This is a short example, but you could arrange a longer and more thoughtful one, utilizing different letter patterns and more creatively distributed throughout the breadth of your text perhaps, and obfuscate it well enough that no-one would possibly find it unless using a software to explicitly detect such confluences. You can put to rest and doubt your ownership over your work with a proper phrasing too, such as spelling out THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION CREATED BY [YOUR NAME], removing any possibility of coincidental design. Granted, this is a mostly useless consideration practically speaking, as if you feel compelled to do this because you cannot trust who you are attempting to do business with, you should not be doing business with them, but it remains a viable means of overprotecting your work should you feel it necessary.
Jun 7, 2:56 PM

Jul 2013
Most of the information on MAL is relatively trival imo. It doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.
Jun 7, 10:11 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
Rndmguypassingby said:

Possibly because ~8% of Mongolians are blood related with Genghis Khan.
@Zarutaku there's a 1% chance that i m related to him too
Jun 8, 1:19 AM

May 2021
Reply to Rndmguypassingby
@Zarutaku there's a 1% chance that i m related to him too
@Rndmguypassingby Hello Genghis Khan jr.

Jun 13, 6:30 AM

Aug 2022
Did you know that there's an epidemic of chlamydia among koalas and that we can't cure it because giving them antibiotics renders them unable to eat eucalyptus leaves?

Metal detecting is illegal in Ireland.
vasipi4946Jun 13, 6:37 AM
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!

More topics from this board

» Talk to your waifu

EmperorThor - Jan 11, 2023

19 by Zowabo »»
11 minutes ago

» Biggest life hot takes?

Rabnawaz2 - 3 hours ago

11 by Rabnawaz2 »»
12 minutes ago

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

41 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Yesterday

9 by Kikugi »»
2 hours ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

92 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.