Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 16, 2021 7:17 PM
Mar 2021
kinda gives me paranoia agent vibes or that kind of stuff
Jul 16, 2021 10:20 PM

Apr 2020
Intriguing first episode. We'll see where this goes.

Things will probably remain vague for a longer while, so if these kinds of shows test your patience, don't expect an explanation anytime soon lol.
leyxeenJul 16, 2021 10:25 PM
Jul 17, 2021 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
Out of the first episodes of all the anime coming out this season, this is my favorite one. It's too early to talk about the actual story here. Characters seem interesting especially Nozomi. Not using any ost for the episode is definitely a bold choice, maybe it was like this to focus on the empty black space around them. Great Opening song and really digging this animation style although the actual animation was kind of inconsistent at parts. Hopefully, thus anime will carry this season.
Jul 17, 2021 1:43 AM

Oct 2008
so weird it so good! and since it's from Madhouse, then maybe it's gonna be good at least!
5/5.
matias067Jul 17, 2021 1:48 AM

Jul 17, 2021 2:29 AM
Jan 2011
Wow this anime is looking promising i look forward to episode 2.
Jul 17, 2021 3:36 AM

Mar 2019
Just watched the episode and well, it was crazy and honestly kinda boring. Probably because my first impression of this Nozomi girl is the worst. Just can't like the character at all.

Apparently, she is one of our main characters, so either she gets more interesting or I may just drop it.

Honestly it just looks like a single episode OVA made by some random college group. The story could just end here and I wouldn't even find it weird.
Jul 17, 2021 5:08 AM
Jun 2021
Hayuume said:
Just watched the episode and well, it was crazy and honestly kinda boring. Probably because my first impression of this Nozomi girl is the worst. Just can't like the character at all.

Apparently, she is one of our main characters, so either she gets more interesting or I may just drop it.

Honestly it just looks like a single episode OVA made by some random college group. The story could just end here and I wouldn't even find it weird.

Be honest, you just hate the charater designs. This anime is even smoother than most mainstream anime today. Even it still doubtful for a college group can do this.
Jul 17, 2021 10:53 AM

Jun 2014
What in the acid trip did I just watch lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 17, 2021 5:56 PM
Mar 2012
feels psychedelic oldschool weird. A few scenes boring, and lacking ost but conflict over their ideals & control seems a major theme.
Jul 18, 2021 12:17 PM

Apr 2019
Pretty good first episode. The art style reminds me of The Tatami Galaxy's which makes it pretty charming to me. There isn't anything crazy special about the characters, yet, but do seem interesting. So I'm looking forward to learning more about them; as well as their powers.
And the plot if very ominous which I sorta like. So I'm also looking forward to finding out more about it.

Can't wait for the second one.
Jul 18, 2021 1:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An anime original story is always welcome. No people complaining about how they botched up the adaptation or did their waifu wrong.And an interesting premise too. LIke someone mentioned above, it kinda reminds me of Ryvius which not a bad thing in my book.

Madhouse is back. This makes me so happy, even though I know they lost a lost of their top people
FarabeufJul 18, 2021 1:31 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2021 4:05 AM

Jul 2016
Cerdon said:
sKyBlazer08 said:
I have so many questions... I love it. The visual style is really damn good and unique. Despite the episode not having any background music at all until the ending, it managed to be engaging and captivating.

Nozomi is definitely mysterious, and then there's Hoshi who seems to be playing God. I have this feeling that Nagara is actually related somehow to how they ended up in that void, maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong. Though that "demonstration" that Hoshi showed everyone is kind of sus, are they all like dead and he's some kind of reaper, are they actually in hell? I don't know, the only thing I know is that it has limitless possibilities. I hope it maintains its quality until the end unlike a certain egg.
Its possible that Hoshi is a red herring though, after all the door suddenly locked when Nagara wa trying to leave the rooftop while Nozomi was yelling at him, and this was the same time at which 'it' happened.

Yeah I got the impression Hoshi is just trying to make the best (for him) out of the situation.

Nagara's power is going to be how this all started I reckon.
Jul 19, 2021 11:28 AM
Jul 2021
daikiken82 said:
Hayuume said:

Be honest, you just hate the charater designs. This anime is even smoother than most mainstream anime today. Even it still doubtful for a college group can do this.
You don't have to get so defensive about this lol, I disagree with the first guy but you don't have to simp for madhouse.
Jul 20, 2021 12:08 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
Such a great start, this caught my interest. The aesthetics remind me a bit Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue for the high color contrast.
Jul 20, 2021 8:08 PM

Apr 2020
1 episode in and this has become my favorite new anime of the year already lmao
Jul 21, 2021 5:48 AM
Dec 2020
This uneasy feeling after watching the very first episode is such a notable experiment, it left me mindlessly hooked even though the whole time was a wtf journey for me. The deja vu it delivered might have been well blended with some of the fictitious unreal dreams I've had before, so that kind of explains how subconsciously I am drawn to it. I have yet decided to give it a judgment, but the impression itself makes SONNY BOY an unimaginably somehow relatable series on a personal note. Man, it's still weirder than my highest fever.
Jul 22, 2021 4:02 PM

Mar 2009
Visuals were really nice, but I was ultimately left underwhelmed with everything else.
Jul 24, 2021 10:44 PM

Mar 2019
New horizons in sight. The darkness lifts to Lord of the Flies!
Jul 28, 2021 7:49 PM
Jul 2018
a lot of WTF vibes (which I like)
Jul 29, 2021 12:15 AM

Nov 2012
Man, this could go either World Egg Priority or Odd Taxi, I bet for the second.

My Candies:

Jul 29, 2021 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
Mugen no Ryvius by way of Cencoroll
Jul 29, 2021 2:24 PM

Aug 2018
Mmmmmh a curious and unique start for the show. This strange world they are trapped in could become really interesting when things starts kicking off. I'm more than ready for episode 2 !
Aug 2, 2021 8:28 AM

May 2018
I find the boy with the star to be a bit suspect.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Aug 3, 2021 6:38 AM

Jul 2020
Never thought I will liked this anime lmao
Aug 3, 2021 10:50 PM
Feb 2011
knktzvra said:
Man, this could go either World Egg Priority or Odd Taxi, I bet for the second.

Oddtaxi was good, but have no idea how people think Wonder Egg was botched. I rated it 10/10, even before knowing about the chances of a season two
Aug 5, 2021 1:04 AM
May 2019
Holy shit this animation is crisp. Reminds me a bit of ping pong. the writing style also reminds me of another anime but I cant quite but my finger on which. either way great episode. its not common i am interested in this many characters just after the first episode.

also gonna start headcanoning that dude with a star on his cheek as trans. it's the ✨vibes✨
Aug 5, 2021 11:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, I've literally next to no clue about most of the things that happened this episode but I'm curious!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 5, 2021 10:10 PM
Apr 2019
Allycattt said:
also gonna start headcanoning that dude with a star on his cheek as trans. it's the ✨vibes✨

That was my initial thought too. It's not even just the voice; many young male animated characters are voiced by women. He just seems ...different.
Aug 5, 2021 10:14 PM
Apr 2019
I really love the character designs. No "moe" face, exaggerated features or Anime Hair. I'm also digging the voice acting because the characters all sound like regular people.

Nozomi is a cool, bold, headstrong girl, so I'm prepared for people to hate her for that. This usually happens when the main guy is tame/quiet; I guess people feel as if the personalities should be switched or something 🤔
Aug 8, 2021 6:36 AM

Apr 2015
I watch anime for these shows once in a while.
Aug 21, 2021 1:02 PM
Aug 2020
Many animes sometimes have a very slow first episode or it only gets good in the last few minutes but sonny boy was interesting from the moment it started. the art was beautiful and Nozomi was just the right amount of eccentric and bizarre. She wasnt annoying, but mysterious. Our main guy kinda reminded me of the main guy in "I want to eat your pancreas" i dont remember his name they revealed it at the end
spoiler maybe
heReBeforeuAug 21, 2021 1:08 PM
Aug 21, 2021 3:43 PM
May 2020
episode one was certainly something. I'm certainly interested
Sep 4, 2021 10:46 AM

Jul 2021
I liked the episode a lot. I was wondering, how did they figure out their super powers? Did the "punishment" guys (not sure about the English term, I watched it in a different language) just yell words until one worked? XD
Sep 4, 2021 10:59 AM
Jul 2021
Black_T-shirt said:
I liked the episode a lot. I was wondering, how did they figure out their super powers? Did the "punishment" guys (not sure about the English term, I watched it in a different language) just yell words until one worked? XD

The punishment guy does not have that as a power, it was a rule of the world, that's why the guy with the star on his face did it back to him for breaking the rules. "Anyone who breaks the rules can be penalized" was a "truth" of that world.
Sep 4, 2021 11:06 AM

Jul 2021
Reelens said:
Black_T-shirt said:

The punishment guy does not have that as a power, it was a rule of the world, that's why the guy with the star on his face did it back to him for breaking the rules. "Anyone who breaks the rules can be penalized" was a "truth" of that world.

Thank you. I guess "how did they figure out their super powers?" still stands, unless someone or something prompted them about the rules of the new world.
Sep 5, 2021 4:37 PM

Mar 2010
No telling why that school and why those powers, but nb for giving my mind to ponder on things.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 12, 2021 10:47 AM
Aug 2021
36 students are stuck in their school which is surrounded by nothing but darkness. This apparently happens after a storm and they have also gained some powers(Nagara doesn't seem to be having a power yet). Hoshi suggests enforcing some rules but that fails as their world is already governed by some rules.

Nozomi believes that they're in an alternate dimension and jumps out along with Nagara. And she might be right as they do go back to the real world, or it at least looks like the real world. Not even sure if there's an alternate dimension.

This anime is rather intriguing so far. I like the artstyle and the color palette a lot.It reminds me of Paprika which had god tier animation. Both of these are by Madhouse after all, though this one has been made after Madhouse lost most of their major staff. Also an original anime with some weird stuff is always welcome:)
-Facktack-Sep 12, 2021 10:51 AM
Sep 15, 2021 1:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow that sure something REALLY special, that kind of "void" environment was great but seems like it already switched to something different with more realistic parts, the power thing is also interesting but it's still quite confusing right now and it seems random, same for all these "mysterious" elements like the school folded etc, I'm definitely interested with that 1st episode.
Sep 16, 2021 6:24 PM

Dec 2013
This was a weird first episode but at least it has me interested.
Sep 16, 2021 8:57 PM
Oct 2019
hmm, kind of interesting. lord of the flies vibes?

is that one star cheeked boy's super power the ability to use any super power? what was that grim reaper scene? star cheek boy seems evil. cap is just an easily manipulated puppet. the former class president also seems sketch

obviously people shouldn't just do whatever they wanted, but you can't be a cunt and try to control everyone

did the ocean and mountains appear because they pushed the boundaries into the black nothingness of their new world? the more they explore, the more that wll "open up" to them?

i like this girl. she's odd. she sees something shiny in the sky. she doesn't want to participate in their rules/governance

the boy is whatever. just a lamebody

6/10 to start. because it's still kind of odd even if it has potential to be interesting
HagePotPotatoMay 9, 2022 3:24 PM
Sep 21, 2021 12:15 PM

Dec 2015
Not sure if I'll continue this. The premise and overall design really made me interested. However, characters were really terrible, pacing is all over the place and the mystery sounded interesting in the first 5 minutes, but afterwards just lost it's shine. Had to force myself to finish the episode.
Sep 28, 2021 7:14 PM

Jan 2016
Cap's name is Tanigawa, isn't it? They mention that he created the "Drifting Classroom" group chat and he's the one typing afterwards.
Oct 7, 2021 3:59 AM

Jul 2015
As others have commented I'm also getting Lord of the Flies vibes from this. Lots of superiority feeling and jealousy going on involving the super powers and just this absurd situation. Looks interesting so far, I especially liked that last scene with the great song.

Oct 23, 2021 10:15 PM

Apr 2019
What a boring and uninteresting business.
I just want to see if it is all that they say.
Nov 8, 2021 5:04 PM

Sep 2017
Very interesting. You can see already see what they are going for. Nozomi, who doesn't want to conform, has a different colour from all the other Japanese people. That in itself is very indicative of what's going on here.
Dec 14, 2021 5:40 PM

Dec 2018
holy shit that was unbelievably fantastic, what a ride just for the first episode
i'm hooked
Dec 16, 2021 6:42 PM
Feb 2020
Cap was manipulated from the moment he appeared on screen to the end of the episode.

He turned to the two people who are better than him and said You should lead and You should lead. But he was told the votes were counted and he was the people's choice.

The ballot may or may not have been rigged. But Cap was clearly shown being told what to type on his phone on the network (Before he even knew about the plan to have an election).

Star Guy has the ability to make people see and hear things that aren't real. He was there every time Cap said Penalty. His ability to alter perception is very powerful. It was shown to work on the whole group when he made them see the future with them all dead. Cap hitting Rebel-kun considering Rebel-kun was breaking the building with every one in it is in character. But then for the most concientious person in the student body. The one who even in private when no one is watching cares about the rules to just go: The rules don't apply to me. What? I think Star faked that. It was too out of character. He gave very fair punishments and it was clear when the girl refused the phone he was prompted by the two student council members controlling him to ask her to take, he wasn't on a power trip. He would have let her go but his handlers made sure he didn't let it go. That is not the same person who is seen trying to kill some one (more powerful than him, whose powers conveniently stop working).

What I saw this ep is:

Star the educated jerk, Nozomi the uneducated jerk and Rebel-kun the angry jerk. all messed with, interfered with or used someone.
Dec 20, 2021 10:06 PM

May 2015
Dialogue heavy, but worth it at the end.
I feel like this show is gonna be a wild ride.
Dec 28, 2021 1:15 AM

Apr 2019
50$ that it ends up like lord of the flies
Jan 1, 2022 8:21 AM

Feb 2018
No idea what happened here but I'm liking it lol
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

18 by APolygons2 »»
May 12, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM

» Did Sonny boy give you a huge impact after finish it?

kisaragi_eki - Sep 8, 2023

44 by JessicaKari »»
Apr 2, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

113 by vit »»
Mar 24, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

160 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 23, 4:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.