Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 8, 2021 8:31 AM

Jul 2020
Pretty intriguing start, to say the least. Really hoping this will be a good one!

I accept random friend requests!
Jul 9, 2021 12:22 AM

Dec 2016
I liked the mysteriousness of this show. The animation is also interesting, it gives off old generation animation vibes. A nice comeback from Madhouse.

They have interesting powers.

I wish someone gave this penalty to me, I feel so lazy to workout XD

I do that to my cat too XD

As for this episode, it felt like a strange themed short movie of some sort. Will it be episodic kind of anime? The way it ended seemed like it was the end of one chapter, like they wanted to get out of this darkness and they somehow got out, that's it. It felt like the story ended there. I'll continue watching it cuz I'm curious about how they plan to continue it.
Rickydory123Jul 9, 2021 12:27 AM
Jul 9, 2021 9:18 PM
Mar 2015
That is one way to get out of school
Jul 10, 2021 7:55 PM

Mar 2016
i like the vibes, weird sci-fi animes have my heart

Jul 12, 2021 3:09 PM
Jun 2012
I like the mindfuck mystery aspect of this anime but as always students are too stupid and shallow. Make it a seinen with fleshed-out adult characters and you'll have an anime of the year.
Jul 12, 2021 7:52 PM
Apr 2018
tolga1991 said:
I like the mindfuck mystery aspect of this anime but as always students are too stupid and shallow. Make it a seinen with fleshed-out adult characters and you'll have an anime of the year.

Then, it won't bring in much money for the studio. This is an original after all. Western Audience and Japanese audience is very different after all. They even made ost cast terrifying as musical anime is a trend in japan.
Jul 13, 2021 9:10 AM

Jan 2020
What a depth of an episode, just like one thread explain here, it's seems like a depiction of social and politics, one is incompetent authoritarian government, and then the rebellious extremist, the aphatetic , the oligarchs , and the pacifist libertarian. But this episode feels like that Tokyo Revengers pre air episode ,many things felt crammed at once. Gonna check more , probably my AOTY material here.
TierraRobadaJul 13, 2021 9:34 AM
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jul 13, 2021 2:41 PM

Feb 2019
tolga1991 said:

But then you wouldn't have the Lord of the Flies gimmicks. The characters must be immature for that kind of story to work out well and be interesting. Adults are too rational for that.
Jul 13, 2021 3:34 PM

Aug 2019
Is this you, Madhouse?

This feels so fresh. A season with a few GREAT entries is better than a season with many good entries. This is already full of characters, themes and ideas, and the production seems very confident. It's also amazing how much character/many characters they could already establish in only one episode. It makes me excited for coming epiodes. The art is also really unique; I wouldn't describe it as "old-school", but it feels very appropriate and very Madhouse-esque and kind of reminds me of The Girl Who Leapt through Time. I feel like this could become something incredible.
GooseflowerJul 13, 2021 4:04 PM
Jul 13, 2021 11:17 PM
Nov 2020
Not quite similar, but this somehow reminds me of Wonderful Everyday. Yet, with nowhere near 50 hours of story time, it remains to be seen if this will be interesting as the aforementioned.
Jul 15, 2021 9:18 AM

Nov 2011
I really like the art style of this show tbh, feels stylistic and unique even with the way character expresses their personalities.

Premise seems interesting and I find most of the cast intruging. This can either be a hit or a miss but honestly, the way they build this first episode showed promise. Looking forward to more honestly.

Jul 15, 2021 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
woah thats a lot of random stuff happening in one episode, loving the whole vibe of the show..definitely going in my watchlist
Jul 15, 2021 1:02 PM

Jul 2017
I really enjoyed that premeire. Very interesting, like the art style and the lack of music for most of the episode only enhanced the mystery and psychological undertones of the show by a lot. Very refreshing kind of episode and unique compared to other anime this year. Hoping that the show can stay on this good path though and not get too repetitive or dull soon.
Jul 15, 2021 1:28 PM

May 2011
This first episode was very interesting.
''I was dead serious''

Jul 15, 2021 2:40 PM

Jul 2011
Nozomi feel so dangerous, but at same time so worthy to follow.

I wasn't getting into this anime after thinking that would be just the school the only location, but after more of the world opened up looks interesting.
With my memories of islands survival, potential this may have.
Jul 15, 2021 3:02 PM
Apr 2018
absence of the background music gave me a bit of an uneasy feeling. it somewhat blends well with a situation we are brought before. looking forward to new episodes!
Jul 15, 2021 3:39 PM

Mar 2016
I forgot to comment about the premiere because I watched it long before the official TV broadcasting lol.

It’s an interesting setup, I guess, but after the trainwreck that was WEP, I’m being very cautious of yet another similar setup based around surrealism and youth mentality, hence a weak personal impression for me. It can get better along the way but if it turns out as one of those overly dramatic and contrived supernatural shows with teenage angsty, then my sensing of possible red flags will be all the more justified. Lastly, I can’t say I’m a fan of this sort of artstyle, but hey, I probably won’t mind it much down the stretch.
Jul 15, 2021 4:38 PM

Nov 2011
So it's "Lost" the anime. It was pretty obvious halfway through that they were dead. The lightning kind of gave it away.

Idk I can't really judge it after one episode but I was no impressed. if anything i like the interactions between Nozomi and Nagara.

Also MIzuho is cute AF and I need more of her.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 15, 2021 4:55 PM

Jul 2015
I have no freaking clue what I just watched lmao, will give it an episode or two more I guess but not particularly excited.
Jul 15, 2021 4:58 PM
Mar 2021
This episode felt like a long episode
Jul 15, 2021 5:32 PM

Apr 2020
The Show seems to be pretty meta

Not sure if I like that. Think I'd be more interested in a good, well written Story instead of a social statement , made by the Anime's Creators.
I want actual characters. Not just Political-Archetypes delivering lines.

...the Black-World-Mystery gives me some hope for that, at least

The Mc-Girl's getting on my nerves already. Hate her happy go lucky, yet ultra-deep and mysterious vibe...xD

Merve2LoveJul 15, 2021 5:36 PM
Jul 15, 2021 6:10 PM
Feb 2011
Ryuseishun said:
I forgot to comment about the premiere because I watched it long before the official TV broadcasting lol.

It’s an interesting setup, I guess, but after the trainwreck that was WEP, I’m being very cautious of yet another similar setup based around surrealism and youth mentality, hence a weak personal impression for me. It can get better along the way but if it turns out as one of those overly dramatic and contrived supernatural shows with teenage angsty, then my sensing of possible red flags will be all the more justified. Lastly, I can’t say I’m a fan of this sort of artstyle, but hey, I probably won’t mind it much down the stretch.

How was WEP a trainwreck? Assuming you saw the special episode...
Jul 15, 2021 6:16 PM

Mar 2020
I rewatched the first episode just to refresh my memory, and if this show keeps the first episode quality all the way then I wouldn't mind having it as my anime of the season because this is the best first episode so far this season.
Jul 15, 2021 6:27 PM

Jan 2010
I didn't re-watch the whole episode, just bits of it, and the last five minutes.

Something that really bothered me when I watched this on Youtube, was the weird sound mixing that was super distracting. I didn't seem to notice it with this "official" broadcast? Which is good, at first I thought it might have been a creative choice would would have been really annoying.

looking forward to this anime. But at the same time I honestly don't know what to expect from it. This episode still feels like it could be a one-off anime short to me. Just hope it doesn't turn into an utter train wreck like WEP did. Since this is also an anime original, and seems to be going into really abstract territory like WEP did.
Jul 15, 2021 6:51 PM

Nov 2010
Eguchi Hisashi made original character design. The show also inherits his pop art style. Although the story is similar to "Hyouryuu Kyoushitsu (The Drifting Classroom)", supernatural power element is added. The most expected show of this season for me.
Jul 15, 2021 6:52 PM

Aug 2019
feel like I was on some psychedelics watching this, but that OP is pretty good not gonna lie
Jul 15, 2021 7:23 PM

Jan 2011
i'm in hoping this lands because it's so strange for a another dem darn high schoolers got super powers

with how much was going on to unpack i thought the episode was longer than 20mins lol

no idea where this goes but i'm sold for now !
Jul 15, 2021 8:09 PM

Jun 2021
I'll give them credit, they are definitely doing something different from all the other shows from this season.

Really hard to judge the story from episode 1, but definitely an interesting start.

Not a huge fan of animation style, but it's not terrible quality animation. Just not my cup of tea.

Hopefully episode 2 will give more clarity.

Jul 15, 2021 8:22 PM
Apr 2020
I was wondering if this will exceed my expectations just like what WEP did (except for that ending), but GOOD LORD it's even more more better and twisted. That's Madhouse for you

So far in the plot we got

• students transfered into the nothingness (I think) together with their school

• Some of them got superpowers. And some have not

• Student council decided to make a rule for those who have power and not to be fair. But some oppose to this

Then it all went shit and when the 2 main heroines fall in the black void, it turned into an ocean with mountains on it. Seems like the student council know this shita that's been happening. The plot is still all over the place but I already like how dark and twisted will this go. Definitely a great comeback for the legendary studio. Looking forward for more
Jul 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Nov 2012
Rewatch this episode, noticed alot more this second time around, a bit too much to post here so anyone that cares to read

Read it here:
https://twitter.com/VanishingKira/status/1415884993751142400

In short Nozomi might be a reality warper and the mastermind behind the "drifting." Or she might be the proxy of the bird shown through the episode in very brief glimpses.
Jul 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Aug 2018
First of all, the animation style is great, and secondly...what?
I liked it and it's interesting, plus I want to know what's going on. The opening is good
Jul 15, 2021 10:50 PM
Aug 2019
I thought i was understanding at least a bit, but with that ending i realized that i didn't lol. This was one of the animes i wanted to watch the most this season, and it was an interesting first episode! I'm curious of what is gonna happen next! Also, Aoi Yuuki in the main cast makes me happy...
Jul 15, 2021 11:12 PM
Jul 2021
I don’t have the words, but I have high expectations after that. It’s like an “I don’t know what that was but I want more”
Jul 15, 2021 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
Now this show was a weird isekai, kek.
Jul 16, 2021 1:39 AM

May 2021
Extremely impressing episode dude. First of all, the aesthetic, the vibes, everything goes together and create a huge atmosphere, props to the production. But honestly, the freedom statement and systematic rules imposing in juxtaposition between the positive and negative freedoms and how it affect our way of understanding the world and operate in our day by day was extremely well done. Extremely sound message here from different perspectives of power. With this, I think that this season has huge potential in terms of provoking shows, hope that it turns out well and the start wasnt just a fluke

Jul 16, 2021 4:14 AM

Aug 2016
NextUniverse said:
idk wtf just happened, it had a Angel Beats type opening, then proceeded to do some Lord of the Flies bs, then some mountain comes up.

this ep's audiovisual were strange too, I mean, that lack of ost and the abstract art was smth for sure.

anyways, good episode.

Maybe it's just me, but I often enjoy the lack of ost in a show. It's different from what we usually get today, and it reminds me of older anime that I used to watch when I was a kid, so it takes me back.
Jul 16, 2021 4:41 AM

Aug 2015
Hoshi is a little sus especially with that look at the end.

Artstyle is so cool. I love how there was no OST throughout (except the OP at the end).

Amazing first episode. Love that it's an Anime original so we don't know what's coming next.
Looking forward to more!
AyyMayyJul 16, 2021 4:46 AM
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Jul 16, 2021 4:44 AM
Apr 2020
Guys... what did I just see?
Jul 16, 2021 5:39 AM

Sep 2020
I liked it for sure, but wtf did I like? I don't even know the first actual thing about what's happening. Gonna be real pissed if it takes the collective conscious route like Evangelion.
Jul 16, 2021 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
The first episode was really weird, it wasn't bad at all, but as some scenes don't make much sense, it ends without explaining as much as I would like. I hope the plot improves with the twist it has taken in the last two minutes of the chapter.
Jul 16, 2021 6:04 AM

Oct 2016
I have so many questions... I love it. The visual style is really damn good and unique. Despite the episode not having any background music at all until the ending, it managed to be engaging and captivating.

Nozomi is definitely mysterious, and then there's Hoshi who seems to be playing God. I have this feeling that Nagara is actually related somehow to how they ended up in that void, maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong. Though that "demonstration" that Hoshi showed everyone is kind of sus, are they all like dead and he's some kind of reaper, are they actually in hell? I don't know, the only thing I know is that it has limitless possibilities. I hope it maintains its quality until the end unlike a certain egg.
Jul 16, 2021 6:33 AM

Mar 2014
I don't know what the hell did I just watch maybe in the next ep there will be an explanation
Jul 16, 2021 9:42 AM

Apr 2020
I watched the pre-air when it was available, but rewatched it again because I really dig this. It’s weird and unconventional and we’ll see how it turns out, but it could be really good. It’s unique if nothing else.
Jul 16, 2021 10:12 AM

May 2020
AutumnWaterbird said:
Is this you, Madhouse?

This feels so fresh. A season with a few GREAT entries is better than a season with many good entries. This is already full of characters, themes and ideas, and the production seems very confident. It's also amazing how much character/many characters they could already establish in only one episode. It makes me excited for coming epiodes. The art is also really unique; I wouldn't describe it as "old-school", but it feels very appropriate and very Madhouse-esque and kind of reminds me of The Girl Who Leapt through Time. I feel like this could become something incredible.

Shouldnt be suprised since they took a long break
Jul 16, 2021 12:20 PM
Jan 2021
RedChrome said:
I don't know what the hell did I just watch maybe in the next ep there will be an explanation
ಠ_ಠ yeyeah... ✌
Jul 16, 2021 1:34 PM
Jul 2021
Loved 99% of this episode, but the indian guy seems like a dumb addition unless they plan to do something with him, I really hope they don't try to justify everything with sci-fi science. Other than that, did anyone notice the pale kid lose his tatoo in the final shot? Or maybe it's just hidden behind the iron bars? Additionally can anyone explain why the school started sinking really fast when pale kid activated his power.
CerdonJul 16, 2021 1:44 PM
Jul 16, 2021 1:42 PM
Jul 2021
sKyBlazer08 said:
I have so many questions... I love it. The visual style is really damn good and unique. Despite the episode not having any background music at all until the ending, it managed to be engaging and captivating.

Nozomi is definitely mysterious, and then there's Hoshi who seems to be playing God. I have this feeling that Nagara is actually related somehow to how they ended up in that void, maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong. Though that "demonstration" that Hoshi showed everyone is kind of sus, are they all like dead and he's some kind of reaper, are they actually in hell? I don't know, the only thing I know is that it has limitless possibilities. I hope it maintains its quality until the end unlike a certain egg.
Its possible that Hoshi is a red herring though, after all the door suddenly locked when Nagara wa trying to leave the rooftop while Nozomi was yelling at him, and this was the same time at which 'it' happened.
Jul 16, 2021 2:33 PM
Jul 2021
Okay wait, I know this is my third post in a row but how the did they get in the gym, at around 1:42 you can see the exterior and the gym is clearly a separate building but at 10:15 you see Nozomi in the gym. Also Mizuho mentions at around 10:22 that Nozomi was "doing this" which implies that she somehow created/fixed/assembled a damn carousal inside a gym that has no safe access point.
Jul 16, 2021 2:53 PM

Mar 2017
I have no idea what's going on but I like it haha This is one odd anime but I love the abstract world building and the Lord of The Flies situation.

The characters are really interesting, especially Hoshi - like what's going on with that dude? Seems like a quietly hostile person and I get the feeling he didn't want them to make it out of that black space.
Jul 16, 2021 7:08 PM

Nov 2013
good original anime
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2021

62 by Zorpanur »»
Jun 11, 10:57 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2021

128 by Kizuki01 »»
Jun 11, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2021

94 by Kizuki01 »»
Jun 11, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2021

158 by Kizuki01 »»
Jun 11, 9:06 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2021

98 by Kizuki01 »»
Jun 11, 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.