Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 10, 2018 4:54 PM

May 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Just another episode of whining and unearned attempts to tug at the audience's heart strings.
I literally had a headache by the end of it.

Yet you're still watching it.

Feb 10, 2018 5:05 PM

Dec 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Bobby2Hands said:
Just another episode of whining and unearned attempts to tug at the audience's heart strings.

Yet you're still watching it.

Yep, and I'll watch all 12 episodes.
Cause momma didn't raise no quitter.
Feb 10, 2018 5:30 PM

Sep 2011
Right now - the best anime of this season.
Feb 10, 2018 5:46 PM

Jul 2014
I love this episode, maybe because I'm a romance lover. Violet's age surprised me a bit, but, okay...Violet is smiling at the end and that's warming my heart.

And also, whoa, Gilbert's bro is there.
Feb 10, 2018 7:51 PM
Nov 2015
F@ck, I'm so disappointed it didn't pull a Versailles this episode, just another "nice" looking palace.
Feb 10, 2018 7:54 PM

Jul 2015
Feb 10, 2018 7:56 PM
Nov 2015
OH MY GOD THE LETTAAAH!
Violet must be diligently doing her reading. and statistics.
Feb 10, 2018 8:15 PM
Nov 2015
Very good show. In a very respectable kind of way. Like, this world is so ideal. Yes, pp run into trouble, but in the end everything turns out right. And there's no cynicism or darkness in any of the story.
I like the ep with Iris' family better, because when it comes to romance, Kyoani really makes it kinda sappy and all too wonderful. Friendship and family relationship are their strengths. This royal romance reads like a 16th-17th century romantic novel, which is appropriate, cuz I'm sure pp in those situations dream about meeting a prince on a moonlit light in the garden, and express their feelings in the most ardent, sentimental words. But it always makes me cringe a bit. But I got through this by Violet's competence.
Sean_NessmanFeb 10, 2018 8:24 PM
Feb 10, 2018 9:08 PM
Sep 2017
when i watched episode 4 i almost lost hope for this series, episode 1-3 was good but episode 4 not good enough, when i start think this episode will be bad as well, but gues what? i was wrong this episode realy the best! is not just good episode is great episode for me!
Feb 10, 2018 10:21 PM

Dec 2014
I loved seein Violet smile
And i'm all in for romance episodes, but, i felt a little uneasy 'cause of the 10 year age gap between the princess and the other dude
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2018 1:38 AM
Dec 2009
I agree with everyone here, Violet's age reveal was surprising. Of course it seems no exact age is known for her, and she's been through a lot which makes her seem older... but 14 seemed a little too young. I was thinking around 25. Although I guess the war wasn't that long based on the princess story in today's episode (she was 10, then the war started, now 14).

Although this episode was cheesy and the princess seemed a bit young to be getting married (for a modern day audience to be watching) it was still a cute episode showing how Violet has gotten better at ghostwriting. Looking forward to finding out more about the mysterious guy who showed up at the end in the next episode...
Feb 11, 2018 1:58 AM

May 2010
This was so damn good. My favorite episode, this show is really becoming better and better. I loved the love story, Charlotte, Alberta and Damien all were very endearing esp Charlotte.
Feb 11, 2018 2:18 AM
Jul 2017
winddevil1 said:
the fact that she did write that cool letter at the start seemed a little too advanced, i was like,,,did i even watch last episode? =D

other than that i enjoyed the episode quite a bit

Iris from episode 4 blooms in May, camellia in this episode blooms from October til following year's May.
Just let you know at least half a year has passed in between episodes. No worry, you did watch last episode :)
Feb 11, 2018 3:22 AM

Dec 2015
Wow, that was a 10/10 episode from start to finish.

The Princess's story was beautifully nuanced; the scenes that followed after Violet spoke to Cattleya were a gem to watch.
~
Feb 11, 2018 3:52 AM
Jun 2016
I love seeing how violet has grown in such a short time. She still doesn't fully understand things, but she's trying hard :>
Feb 11, 2018 5:02 AM
Feb 2018
till now I like this show, I won't vote until the end I want to know how this anime would develop
Feb 11, 2018 5:43 AM
Nov 2016
This is probably the worst episode so far. It isn't really awfull, actually it was OK, but the previous episodes were better. AND HOW IS VIOLET 14?!?! That makes no sense... She looks 18 AT LEAST! There were some good things about this episode, but overall I'm not really impressed.

7/10
Feb 11, 2018 7:28 AM

Mar 2012
Marrying 14 year olds, oh boy.

Bobby2Hands said:

Same lol.
Feb 11, 2018 1:28 PM

Aug 2012
It was beautiful, one of the best episodes yet.
Feb 11, 2018 3:29 PM

Apr 2017
This was my favorite episode so far, looking forward to next episode!
Feb 11, 2018 4:13 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Here we fucking go, finally a legit good episode.
still has some problem tho, like violet just suddenly being good at writting letters and her being 14 years old .... anime logic strikes again.
Feb 11, 2018 8:56 PM

Jul 2017
I am so unbelievably skeeved out that the point of this entire episode was “age is just a number”. That Violet is only 14. Man, the major was in love with her when she was younger than that, when she was even more of a child? I don’t care if the excuse is it’s because this is set in an older era this is.... eugh....
Nothing about this episode was romantic for me. I was just incredibly uncomfortable, and honestly don’t know how to mentally approach the rest of this series. I could ignore this episode even happened and continue to assume she’s 17 but.... when it was mentioned she looked young I just thought it was because she was a teenager, yknow?
Goddamn.

Classic anime she looks 20 and is actually a baby. Why was this necessary.

Maybe this shows just not for me. I love the visuals and the animation, but I don’t feel emotionally invested in Violet at all and the plot is failing to feel touching and nuanced to me. It’s just kinda dragging along, and this is coming from someone who loves slice of life and slow chill shows. I respect those who are still enjoying the show but the characters and story and simply.... lacking.
freckledFeb 11, 2018 9:00 PM
Feb 11, 2018 11:30 PM
Oct 2017
This is just terrible. This episode had enough material and themes to fit in a season by itself. You can't fit these complex plots, themes and relationships in 6 bouts of crying following by awkward transitions of reaction montages in 20 minutes. The music and dialogue are super sappy and don't set the mood. What's the difference between Flugel and Drossel cultures? The Princess Charlotte, Damion and Alberta come off as just generic European-style royalty with no culture. Why are there Napoleonic-era smooth-bore cannons in a post World-War I world? Does Christianity exist, or does it not exist in this world? Is there any religion or spirituality at all? Do Kyoto Animation have any ideas how to create a living, breathing world?

Sorry, the characters leave no impression on me since their stories are over so quickly, and the world seems like someone wrote it out after reading a postcard about Europe.
Feb 12, 2018 3:41 AM
Aug 2016
they were actually publishing their lame ass love letters in the news paper Lmao
what am I even watching at this point...
Feb 12, 2018 5:03 AM

Mar 2015
The only thing that bothered me in this episode is Violet's age. I'm just going to pretend she is 17.
Feb 12, 2018 5:15 AM

Dec 2014
I was just gonna say "great episode"

Then the age question bumped on me

Feb 12, 2018 5:30 AM

Dec 2015
finally violet wrote letters instead of report , she need to work on her social skill more though.
and that ending , this is gonna be a setback for violet's development right? trauma of the past and something like that
Feb 12, 2018 5:43 AM
Dec 2017
DatRandomDude said:
Here we fucking go, finally a legit good episode.
still has some problem tho, like violet just suddenly being good at writting letters and her being 14 years old .... anime logic strikes again.
she jusy write like the things she reads in book and it was mentioned that she studied many books about love
Feb 12, 2018 8:49 AM

Oct 2011
The episode had emotion imo. I felt it put any Disney movie featuring Princesses, which is quite a lot of them, to shame. But anime tend to do that, being a much better story telling format than most other medium.
Feb 12, 2018 12:26 PM
Oct 2011
Am i the only one that had the Picture of "Drossel von Flügel" the whole episode in mind? I mean they probably had the names taken from Fireball.
Feb 13, 2018 12:03 AM

Sep 2016
Lel. That's sooooo true. XD

<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 13, 2018 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
AROUND 14... SHE'S SUPPOSE TO BE AROUND 14... Also thank GOD They actually reading the letters back now. Also when did Violet get good at writing love letters, especially ones like that? Did I miss an episode? Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode and all those dang letters the Prince and Princess were sending back and forth.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Feb 13, 2018 1:54 PM

Mar 2014
>A fourteen year old
>Getting married
HOW PROGRESSIVE
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 13, 2018 2:01 PM

May 2015
Violet is typical woman. I NEED TO BE YOUNGER. IM 8 years old. hurr durr.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 14, 2018 1:32 AM

Oct 2008
Such a beautiful elegant episode!
Violet witnessed a love that has come true.
based on the epilogue, is this the start of the true plot? looks like there's someone who is very bitter with regards to the very existence of Violet!
OST nails it again!
5/5.

Feb 14, 2018 9:31 AM
Mar 2014
ahh good thing i decided to continue this anime, its gotten way better since the first two episodes.. Violet's character still needs a bit more development but the ending of the episode was cute
Feb 14, 2018 11:43 AM
May 2015
Been wondering why do they even need to travel using boats if the continent is just one big landmass.
Feb 14, 2018 4:25 PM

Sep 2011
Beautiful episode. I was sure at first that this was going to be the usual "arranged marriage where the princess isn't happy about it", but I'm glad that it was much better, a true love story.
Feb 14, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was very beautiful! So many feels ;o; It made my heart warm after seeing the princess happy ending, but that's because I love romance XP
After trying to force many expressions, which was very funny to watch, Violet could finaly make a genuine smile at the end ^^ that was cute <3

Strange... I wonder what that ending was all about. Guess there's one way to find out >_>;

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 16, 2018 1:45 AM
Nov 2016
That was a good episode, I feel like an arranged marriage that has been arranged by the bride herself(kinda) is a new sort of thing that I haven't seen before.

At least the Princess got what she wanted and married the man she loved(does she even know what love is at 14 though?)
Feb 16, 2018 4:04 AM

Mar 2014
What a lovely episode! Charlotte is such a beautiful, sweet girl. It was sad that she parted with Alberta though. I haven't read the original source but every episode so far has been really intriguing to me, filler or not. Every short story is unique and is complemented by the engaging atmosphere, the soundtrack and the lovely art.
Feb 16, 2018 11:08 AM

Dec 2014
aaa this episode is really interesting. i'm enjoying every part of it, especially the letter write scene is pretty good executed. 5/5
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Feb 16, 2018 11:10 PM

Nov 2008
What the heck is this pacing lol. As of episode 4 she was still barely human and the only good thing about her writing was its simplicity, then after one timeskip she developed enough to write fancy love letters for royalty. Why did they stretch her minimal character development over 4 episodes if she could take such a leap with one month of research? I should be happy that she might not be such a garbage protagonist from now on, but even her improvement was handled poorly.
Feb 17, 2018 5:32 AM

Sep 2015
This was almost another REALLY strong episode. I just felt like it failed to deliver on the Prince. In his letters he appears to be a fairly complex and compelling character. But when he actually appeared in the episode. He was sort of just a dull placeholder. And I felt the Princess is personal journey was the only thing that held the episode together.

Still it was a fun if stretched concept. That utilized the show's gimmicky central conceit well. This series is starting to remind me of Kino. With all the different kingdoms and all the traveling Violet has been doing. And at the very end. When Charlotte-hime kissed her maids hand. I had actual tears boyo. Made me feel more with those two characters in twenty minutes. Than I have with the rest of the cast up until now. Really curious about the next episode now. That was a hell of a hook.
Feb 17, 2018 5:12 PM

Oct 2012
The ending felt really out of place (who the hell even like such puffy declarations) but the rest of the episode was nice I guess. It felt more like fairy-tale. Wouldn't mind if the ending was more tragic (like the both countries would get invaded right after the wedding or there would be an atentat that would kill both of them). Have to say Cattleya reveal in the end was also nice conclusion to this part.

But actually, it would be better if all the series was situated to the real world rather than into fictional one. Some of regional names are just bad and it would portray the horrors of war better.
Feb 17, 2018 8:46 PM

Feb 2013
This is the best episode of the show so far.
Feb 19, 2018 3:00 AM
Aug 2015
Feb 19, 2018 12:24 PM

Mar 2012
Beautiful episode in every respect.

But yes, I thought it was time for plot to progress beyond Violet writing letters (since she's clearly improved much). I just hope KyoAni doesn't choke this time since it often falls flat when plot is supposed to take off.
Feb 19, 2018 4:52 PM

May 2014
I found it to be quite derivative
Feb 20, 2018 1:50 AM

Mar 2009
shanimebib said:
Fujimiya said:
Meanwhile im shedding some tears on the last charlotte scene where she's showing her gratitude to her lifetime nanny court maid, that such a beautiful yet strong scene.

I found the part more heartwarming than the apparent main plot of this standalone episode that is the marriage. I think her name being Alberta (renowned for Wild Rose) was the hidden message of the episode which was the real love story of this episode: a love story of a mother and a daughter who are not related by blood.

Agreed. Can't say I cared much about the romance, but Charlote and Alberta's relationship was very endearing. Masterful job by KyoAni with their final scene together. Hit me right in the feels.

Shitorasuu said:
Kibernavt said:
Hmm...where I have already seen it?

but Violet did not work out well, I think

Yeap, as you can see the original is better.

Nah I prefer Violet but still though what's the sauce?

Darker Than Black
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

292 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 29, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.