Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) « First ... « 31 32 [33] 34 35 »
Oct 28, 2019 12:47 PM

Sep 2019
What the fuck is this? They forced fully copped every rem scene from the episode! fuck you guys. That was the most important part from the series. How why this type of force full ending is not acceptable. Bad for my heart. There is no impact in the confession scene I'd get annoyed. I was thinking about giving this a 9 but no 8/10 for for the shit ending :(
Oct 28, 2019 11:40 PM

May 2013
^ That ending is made for people like you, who have reduced the series to absolutely nothing beyond Rem.
KreatorXOct 28, 2019 11:44 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 31, 2019 1:41 PM

Jan 2019
KreatorX said:
^ That ending is made for people like you, who have reduced the series to absolutely nothing beyond Rem.

I swear to god man they are everywhere and they are still spreading cancer like that. But i dont worry...i await patiently for the beginning of the second season to see their reactions. Im so excited to hear those yellings
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Nov 18, 2019 10:35 AM

Aug 2018
This anime was a fun ride
Overall 7/10
Nov 19, 2019 7:54 PM

Jul 2013
So the fight against Petelgeuse reached his climax. Really liked the animation there. Didn't expect Julius to get injured but at least they were able to kill Petelgeuse. Looked risky what Subaru did when Petelgeuse was about to control his body. Was interesting to see a little bit more of the witch.

Of course something had to go wrong with these magical stones. Was pretty funny to see which crazy road Otto and Subaru took to catch up to Emilias chariot. Wilhelm is such a MVP in all these last episodes. I couldn't believe Petelgeuse was still alive or how you want to call it. But his final death was super satisfying.

That explosion of these magical stones was way bigger as I thought. The rest of the whale got completely destroyed and also Subaru and his bird got hit pretty hard.

The scene at the end was just beautiful and super heartwarming. Sure there was no Rem or anything else by tbh that wouldn't had fit at all. So I'm absolute fine that Subaru and Emilia finally got there moment. Subaru x Emilia :)

Overall an absolute rollercoaster of emotions for me. I'm not sure if I could have done what Subaru did after all what happened. Just from watching often I got so mad or sad or didn't understand why so much bad things happened to him.

Can't wait for season 2 and everything what will happen there.

Dec 10, 2019 6:44 AM
Jan 2018
Emillian said:
KreatorX said:

I swear to god man they are everywhere and they are still spreading cancer like that. But i dont worry...i await patiently for the beginning of the second season to see their reactions. Im so excited to hear those yellings

KreatorX said:

What every rem scene from what I have read the only scene the skipped was THAT scene
Jan 6, 2020 5:40 PM

Jun 2016
Petelguese ended up embodying all of the negative traits of Subaru in one fanatical package. I wish this anime did more to explore that but hey, at least it's there.

Emilia was way too forgiving of Subaru if you ask me. Specifically before the firebomb rescue scene. For what he said to her, I would expect her to at least have some lingering qualms about how possessive he was (and at least to an extent still is). Emilia needed more time to develop, for all I know she's insanely forgiving like that, but the closure between them is going to be incomplete to me until that aspect of the relationship gets addressed.

This season was a weird ride. Plenty of appreciable stuff, but Subaru's temporary character shift from episodes 12-18 was too drastic and contradictory to what Arc 2 established to keep my disbelief suspended, and I believe most of the criticisms around this story stem from it. It's getting a low score from me, yet I'm looking forward to the second season. From what I've heard, my major complaints aren't going to remain as issues going forward, and I would love to be able to leave them in the past.
Jan 12, 2020 6:30 PM
Mar 2015
I would really like if people were able to see an anime separated from a manga. It's an own form of art, all the people are crying if it's not the same, but fact is, there is screen time, there is money, and some mainstream, If you don't like what you see in anime, stick to your manga, or watch anime that doesn't have ones haha
Jan 22, 2020 6:35 PM

Jun 2012
Lot of mixed feelings on this one. My boy Willy saved this show tbh.
Jan 23, 2020 3:23 PM
Feb 2019
Hopefully season 2 turns out to be better because I didn't enjoy season 1 that much, this anime is way too over-hyped. This anime turned out to be promising in the first couple of episodes and then it got crappy and I started to lose interest with each passing episodes.

That being said, I did enjoyed the flashback of Wilhelm and Theresia van Astrea, they were pretty damn good and emotional as fuck, it actually made me cry a bit. That flashback is the best thing this anime provided IMHO, the rest of the stuff weren't that interesting (apart from the first couple of episodes which were good).
Jan 27, 2020 4:15 AM

Aug 2018
Excellent series, especially the final arc.
Mar 7, 2020 10:35 PM

Jul 2019
Great ride overall. The thriller in the first two arcs were amazing. I also like most of the characters.. but I'm actually surprised how you people get that gassed about Rem lmao. I thought the first two arcs could get some idiots drop it already.
Mar 15, 2020 9:32 PM

Dec 2019
Good end overall, so many mysteries left unsolved plus we have 0 idea what the witch is like or what she is trying to do, i think this anime wont end with 1-2 seasons.
                                                         🖤   

Mar 18, 2020 3:43 AM

Jul 2014
-EnvyV2- said:
Good end overall, so many mysteries left unsolved plus we have 0 idea what the witch is like or what she is trying to do
If you have some questions, you can ask them (here or in PM) and I'll try to answer them :)

-EnvyV2- said:
i think this anime wont end with 1-2 seasons.
The LN author said that the full story will have 11 (or 13) arcs. The first season adapted first 3 arcs. The second one will most likely adapt only arc 4.

Yes, this will be a long story :)
Apr 4, 2020 9:57 PM

Sep 2017
What a fucking ending. I was all happy and feel-good from the wholesome ending, and then that bullshit happens? Are you kidding me?

It is rare that a show as hyped as Re:Zero genuinely impresses me as much as this did, but man, Re:Zero delivered. From its interesting premise and fascinating characters, to finding which way Subaru was going to get fucked a particular episode, Re:Zero sought out to accomplish something unique and it did a damn good job at that. It's a shame the second season got delayed, but I will eagerly await it with baited breath. 9/10.

Apr 5, 2020 3:02 AM

Oct 2015
Gytanzo said:
What a fucking ending. I was all happy and feel-good from the wholesome ending, and then that bullshit happens? Are you kidding me?

It is rare that a show as hyped as Re:Zero genuinely impresses me as much as this did, but man, Re:Zero delivered. From its interesting premise and fascinating characters, to finding which way Subaru was going to get fucked a particular episode, Re:Zero sought out to accomplish something unique and it did a damn good job at that. It's a shame the second season got delayed, but I will eagerly await it with baited breath. 9/10.

Question, are you watching the original one or director cuts ?
Apr 5, 2020 7:24 PM

Sep 2017
Prog_upworks13 said:
Gytanzo said:

Question, are you watching the original one or director cuts ?

I was watching the director's cut.
Apr 16, 2020 11:57 PM

Jun 2013
I finally finished this! I put this in the back burner for the longest time and I finally finished it. Loved every minute of it and I don't regret putting it on hold because I was able to binge it during quarantine. I'll be watching the movie later tonight or tomorrow since it'll be Saturday here.

I'm looking forward to season 2. Too bad corona pushed it back but it's still premiering this year. I'll probably peek into the LNs if I have time.
臭い-
Jun 16, 2020 9:31 AM

Nov 2016
Was a pretty good rewatch, some aspects came off worse than during the first time, but for others I gained a new appreciation. As a whole the show is still great for me, especially the portrayal of emotional moments. Looking forward to S2 in a few weeks.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 22, 2020 10:32 AM

Oct 2019
just watched back and finished it, the happy ending so far but I was curious about way Subaru killed the petelgeuse, was that a 'death note' I thought ?!
Jun 22, 2020 11:23 AM

May 2013
Alexcenna said:
just watched back and finished it, the happy ending so far but I was curious about way Subaru killed the petelgeuse, was that a 'death note' I thought ?!

Is it correct to assume that you did not watch the Director's Cut version? :P

As for the Gospel ('death note'), it's like a logbook of events/fates in a way. As for how Petelguese died, is that he most likely fell victim to him suddenly losing the Divine Protection/Blessing aura around the carriage.

The anime doesn't go into detail on how such things work. If I recall well, Otto's carriage (or his dragons perhap) nullifies any major resistances (wind, friction, road bumps) which allows him to travel at very high speeds. So when Petelguese tried to grab onto his gospel that Subaru threw, he got too far from the protective aura, following which his hand got stuck in the spinning carriage wheel's axle and his body went *poof*. I recall it happened to Subaru as well (in episode 12 I think...) when he strayed too far from the dragon while traveling to Lugunica's capital.

There are other examples of such blessings that were similarly shown but not explored fully. An example would be when Reinhard and Elsa were fighting all the way back in the initial episodes. Elsa throws a quick dagger at him but it immediately swerves and goes into a different trajectory altogether. That's due to one of Reinhard's divine protections, which deflects projectiles. Then there is Crusch's blessing which makes her feel a gust of air but only when the person speaking is subjectively lying (it functions more like a polygraph test).
KreatorXJun 22, 2020 11:30 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 23, 2020 3:15 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
As for how Petelguese died, is that he most likely fell victim to him suddenly losing the Divine Protection/Blessing aura around the carriage.
Didn't he die because Subaru wrote "the end" there ?

At least that's what I thought when I learnt what Gospel really is while reading the LN.

KreatorX said:
An example would be when Reinhard and Elsa were fighting all the way back in the initial episodes. Elsa throws a quick dagger at him but it immediately swerves and goes into a different trajectory altogether. That's due to one of Reinhard's divine protections, which deflects projectiles.
That wasn't explained in the first volume of the LN either :)
You have to wait till arc 5 to get an idea this is actually the case :)
Jun 23, 2020 5:22 AM
Aug 2018
mozgow said:
KreatorX said:
As for how Petelguese died, is that he most likely fell victim to him suddenly losing the Divine Protection/Blessing aura around the carriage.
Didn't he die because Subaru wrote "the end" there ?

At least that's what I thought when I learnt what Gospel really is while reading the LN.

It's a combination of both I think. Seeing "The End" on the Gospel kinda made him lose all determination and will. Before that, he was too persistent. Then he died from the impact of losing the aura around the carriage (like he accepted his defeat and gave in to getting crushed, on seeing "The End" in the Gospel).
rakp333Jun 23, 2020 5:26 AM
Jun 23, 2020 6:20 AM

May 2013
mozgow said:

KreatorX said:
An example would be when Reinhard and Elsa were fighting all the way back in the initial episodes. Elsa throws a quick dagger at him but it immediately swerves and goes into a different trajectory altogether. That's due to one of Reinhard's divine protections, which deflects projectiles.
That wasn't explained in the first volume of the LN either :)
You have to wait till arc 5 to get an idea this is actually the case :)

Ah, I see.

I am only up to date with most parts of WN Arc 4, so I was purely guessing here :)
It was something that nagged me when I was watching the anime, like why did Elsa need to throw a dagger like that before she left. Upon noticing closely, there was this weird shimmer around Reinhard when the dagger was about to land on him, following which it took a completely different trajectory. Just felt like putting two and two together here.

rakp333 said:

It's a combination of both I think.

Do you mean to say that the gospel 'seals the fate', while the surround events work themselves out to confirm that fate?
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 24, 2020 4:06 PM

Aug 2019
The anime is average at best. The characters are like cardboard cutouts and unlikeable for me. Even though I don't like him, Subaru is the only character with development, Emilia is boring, Rem seems more like an embodiment of waifu material than a character. Crusch was the only one I liked. The emotional moments seemed cheesy and had me cringing more than evoke any sort of feeling in me. And I didn't like any of the action scenes except the ones with Elsa at the beginning. Still, the storyline is engaging and I would like to know some answers that the first season failed to give, so I'll be watching the second season, hoping I like it more.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Jun 24, 2020 11:55 PM

Jan 2019
Mayo-13 said:
The anime is average at best. The characters are like cardboard cutouts and unlikeable for me. Even though I don't like him, Subaru is the only character with development, Emilia is boring, Rem seems more like an embodiment of waifu material than a character. Crusch was the only one I liked. The emotional moments seemed cheesy and had me cringing more than evoke any sort of feeling in me. And I didn't like any of the action scenes except the ones with Elsa at the beginning. Still, the storyline is engaging and I would like to know some answers that the first season failed to give, so I'll be watching the second season, hoping I like it more.

Well that was at best 15% of the total story and the real thing hasn't even begun, also you can't expect all characters to be developed in such a rushed manner because everyone will get their development arc in the future seasons (season 2 concentrating more of Subaru and Emilia and other guys from Meyers residence but also the new characters that will really "start" the story). Also Subaru didn't received his "development" yet lol...the only characters that received their development arc are Rem and Ram (yet Ram will still have development moments in the future but still). Again this its a LONG a$$ story (with at least 5-6 seasons till will really end) and thinking that everyone should have got their development so fast its kinda an rushed though if u think about it...everything will come when their time has arrived, we just have to wait and everything will be explained/resolved/developed.
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jun 26, 2020 5:24 PM
Feb 2019
Mayo-13 said:
The emotional moments seemed cheesy and had me cringing more than evoke any sort of feeling in me.

I'll be honest, I also didn't liked the emotional moments that much and found them to be a bit cringie, the only emotional moment in the 1st season that I liked (and I mean REALLY liked) was the backstory of Wilhelm & Theresia van Astrea which I freaking loved to death, sad backstories with a really good soundtrack seems to be my weak spot, for me to really get in the mood and get emotional I need a good emotional soundtrack and Re:Zero had an amazing soundtrack in that moment so yeah, that scene simply pulled the right strings on me and made me cry.
Jul 8, 2020 9:16 PM

Mar 2009
For whatever reason or another, I had actually watched most of the series when it first originally aired, but fell off during the episodes with the White Whale. No idea why I stopped back then really, because I was enjoying it immensely. Could've been lack of time. I dunno. Anyway, with S2 on the horizon, and Crunchyroll uploading those Director's Cut episodes, it was the perfect time to get back into it.

I watched the entirety of the Director's Cut version - actually finishing the whole thing this time - and just as I remembered: this series is fantastic. Boy, they just don't make many isekai like this nowadays. They've certainly made some good ones down the years, not denying that, but Re:Zero stands out big time. If we're talking wish-fulfilment bullshit that constantly assaults the isekai genre, Re:Zero makes sure to never be that. I mean, sure, nice to have 2 qts like Rem and Emilia in your life, but I would never, ever want Subaru's life. And if we're talking OP main characters that can also do no wrong, Subaru is certainly not that type. He's a regular dude, fucks up quite a lot, and somehow hasn't gone insane after all the shit he's been through. The writing also takes him to task when he's being selfish. Mega props to the original creator on that, as sometimes that behavior is just seen as no big deal. Subaru's held accountable when he's being overly-entitled and, obviously, he will wallow in his pain and misery. But this dude learns from his mistakes, not just to progress to the next save point, so to speak, but he's also capable of learning from his mistakes as a character and a person. Subaru's character arc this season all ends up beautifully culminating in that wonderful reunion and long conversation with Emilia in this final episode. Subaru apologizes, realizes he was being selfish at times, even if, unfortunately for him, the love of his life will never(maybe in the future?) fully understand the shit he's going through. He's been through way too much for any one person to bear, but he's able to stay strong, and believably and genuinely change, all the while not going batshit insane. In the end, he's rewarded by Emilia for his genuineness and transparency. The author showed some mercy here! =P
Fascinating character study and Subaru is an excellent and well-written character. One of the strongest parts of Re:Zero.

And, well, it's just a great, interesting story that constantly keeps you invested in it. With a fun and lovable cast of characters. Beatrice is so underrated. I love her. Interested in learning more about her, and her past.

Overall, a fantastic show. I'm excited to watch the new season weekly with everyone. First, I have to watch The Frozen Bond OVA.

#TeamEmilia
MormegilJul 8, 2020 9:37 PM
Jul 9, 2020 8:47 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A solid ended with the truth revealing by Subaru. His confession for Emillia. Its all about loved.

Re:Zero made me believed, that zero not be enough to stand alone on this cruel world. Its need a friend, so i just put it a 1 numbers to support it until the end of this series. 1 and zero. Subaru and his zero relife journey on that shitty world. Could he got a happy end on his right routes? Seriously, its a nice poetry, eh?

So, at last, a 10/10.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 9, 2020 9:25 PM

May 2013
badabass said:
A solid ended with the truth revealing by Subaru. His confession for Emillia. Its all about loved.

No need to explain another bullshit, like why Conti finally dead in the end while Subaru write something that i did not understand. Maybe next season might explained it a bit? Idk. Then, Satella as Emillia was not wrong at all. I may connected it with the whole situations that happening on Subaru's side. But, for this time, the end of their sweet reunion must be enough as a closurement. Lets just ended everything on to more positive to pointing out how good this series was.

It is not explicitly mentioned since the anime took some strong "show-but-don't-tell" approaches.

In Episode 12, there is a short scene where you see Subaru almost getting thrown off from the carriage during their travel to the Royal Court because he probably tried sticking his head out of the window too far.

> Otto (driver) said his land dragon (or carriage) is protected by a Blessing which reduces all major forms of resistance to speed, and thus, his carriage can go very fast.
> There is a limited area in which the protection stays active. Like a bubble.
> Conti is struggling to maintain speed with carriage.
> Subaru throws Gospel out, Conti reaches back to grab it, Subaru punches him and knocks him back.
> Because of that, most of Conti's body is no longer in the blessing's bubble and he is grasping at the carriage, near the wheel.
> Subaru writing "THE END" in the Gospel, demoralizes him.
> Conti's hand slips into the wheel's axle, pulling and crushing him

As for the Gospel, it is most likely a diary which confirms a future if something is written on it.

Truly a Divine Comedy
Jul 9, 2020 9:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
KreatorX said:

> Subaru writing "THE END" in the Gospel, demoralizes him.
> Conti's hand slips into the wheel's axle, pulling and crushing him

As for the Gospel, it is most likely a diary which confirms a future if something is written on it.

That book like a death note reference?
So the death of Conti cause of what exactly? I still confused. Lmao.

How Subaru could thinking about writing the book? I don't see any experienced that he had about the book in his previous sequences
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

Jul 9, 2020 10:41 PM

May 2013
badabass said:

How Subaru could thinking about writing the book? I don't see any experienced that he had about the book in his previous sequences

Conti's death is a result of both. The book can be seen as sealing his fate while the wheel's axle crushing him is the cause behind his fate. As for Subaru thinking of writing in the book, I don't remember the exact conversation but it was something due to Mimi, Hetaro and Felix mentioning stuff like how the Gospel is the most important book whose instructions are strictly followed by the cultists in one of the previous episodes.

But yeah, I think it is fair to call it a Death Note reference :D.

Much like how his "Rental Goa" is a reference to the Spirit Gun from Yu Yu Hakusho. There are other such instances with small references regarding popular works scattered around, for example : Beatrice being nicknamed as Beako and if you have played the visual novel of Umineko no Naku Koro ni, there is a witch named Beatrice who is nicknamed Beato. Even the Unseen Hands are like a callback to Elfen Lied.

I'd say all of these fit the theme of Subaru being an otaku himself and therefore, inserted by the author knowingly.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jul 9, 2020 11:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
KreatorX said:
badabass said:

Conti's death is a result of both. The book can be seen as sealing his fate while the wheel's axle crushing him is the cause behind his fate. As for Subaru thinking of writing in the book, I don't remember the exact conversation but it was something due to Mimi, Hetaro and Felix mentioning stuff like how the Gospel is the most important book whose instructions are strictly followed by the cultists in one of the previous episodes.

But yeah, I think it is fair to call it a Death Note reference :D.

Much like how his "Rental Goa" is a reference to the Spirit Gun from Yu Yu Hakusho. There are other such instances with small references regarding popular works scattered around, for example : Beatrice being nicknamed as Beako and if you have played the visual novel of Umineko no Naku Koro ni, there is a witch named Beatrice who is nicknamed Beato. Even the Unseen Hands are like a callback to Elfen Lied.

I'd say all of these fit the theme of Subaru being an otaku himself and therefore, inserted by the author knowingly.

Now it seems more relatable for the story of how Conti dead. But it would be nice if the narration gave an exact function of that book. Sometime the hinted might be too vague to realise. Example with that book utility and the reason Subaru's picked it up. Oh, well, this show really had something to think more deep than i imagined. Lol. The references like an easter egg too for me. I just realise that Rental Goa Subaru's said in the last battle. But the other think might just be skipped by me. Lol.

Btw, thanks for your kindly explanations. I just hope these season 2 that start from now can bring more vibes for me than i feel on this one....

Jul 22, 2020 12:56 AM
Sep 2018
So the original version didnt have the post credit scene
Jul 23, 2020 11:35 AM

Jun 2017
Took at least last episode of the season for Subaru to confess. I gotta admit, it's better to end a season that way. And the last scene were it left you hanging is not something you'd often see in anime.

For me, Re:Zero is just so-so. It's not really recommendable and for anyone who'd ask me to recommend an anime, I wouldn't include this. I hope in season 02, there will be huge improvement. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jul 24, 2020 9:19 PM

Jul 2019
My overall enjoyment with this series went something like this:

• The first episode (both parts A and B) served as a solid introduction to a pretty distinctive premise which leads into the next 11 consecutively enjoyable episodes or what I'd call the consistent peak of the series. Its jam-packed with cliffhangers, danger, and new characters galore that is also abundant with watertight moments of pure tension, some of them genuinely giving me chills down my spine.
  • Episodes 12-18 was the point when I felt the series entered a bit of an conflicting lull, save for ep 15 ofc. To put it shortly, some poor character choices (especially those made by Subaru) led to inadequately executed and exaggerated, needless drama (fight with Subaru and Emilia giving me heavy soap opera vibes). Luckily, this didn't bring my total enjoyment down by that big of a margin.
  • Eps. 19-24 was when Re:Zero emerged from the mark of inconsistency. The fights between the White Whale and witch cult were really refreshing to watch.

For this episode specifically, I didn't really think much of it aside as a satisfying way to wrap things up. But in its entirely, I can say I enjoyed a lot of what Re:Zero has to offer! It's a great deconstruction of the isekai genre that shows why it wouldn't tangibly work for someone like Subaru to flawlessly function in this type of new environment. Plus some great character development for the MC along the way.

I'd give this a solid 8/10 for now. I heard the plot really gets going after this point as Subaru, Emilia, and co. venture deeper into the Kingdom of Lugnica so I'm defo stoked to begin S2
Aug 8, 2020 11:50 PM

Aug 2019
i definitely hesitated a lot on this one, but i think hands down this is a 10/10 anime from me. The story was gold, this anime had me feeling almost every single human emotion known i swear, when it wanted me to feel fear, i felt it. When it wanted me to feel like Subaru accomplished something? I smiled with him. When it wanted me to fucking break down into tears remembering how lonely my life is and making me their bitch with a single rem scene? I admit my defeat, they did it. The ideas were amazing, the character building, true was weak in areas, but when they wanted to build on a character, they did it good. Visuals, from the start to end felt fucking pristine, to the first Bowel Cutter fight scene, to Julius and Subaru's final dance with Betelgeuse, overall animation quality seemed to be spread evenly out the duration of the anime, i never felt like it dropped at any point, just a constant flow of good visuals. Sound effects were great, to the witch's ahohohhohohh ohoh when Subaru fucks something up or the sound notifying you his certain death, these are some examples that managed to put shivers down my spin after how well both the sfx and scenes can compliment each other.

Story 10/10 like i said, golden. I cried, i laughed, i screamed and i shit myself out of fear, this story was indeed a masterpiece.

9/10 Character wise, however the man himself Subaru, overall i loved his character and development. I can't really explain it clearly but, seeing Subaru develop since ep 1 has to be one of the most amazing things i've seen ever. Seeing the guy in ep 1, compared to the last few episode is like water and oil, both the same character, yet they both stand out so much in there own way. Start Subaru, this enthusiastic guy thinking he can do everything by himself, thinking he's the mc of this world and thinking he alone can save Emilia. Compared to end subaru, this person has witnessed death time and time again, he's realised he can't do everything by himself , he's realised relying on others with a clear mindset is better then not relying on anyone at all, he's thankful for the people that have helped him along the way and knows he was selfish. His interaction with other characters ranged from, funny, loving and wacky, to 200IQ caring and thoughtful, maybe even heroic.

Visuals 8/10, for me felt great all way through, fight scenes felt all equally remember able and flat out amazing, character design were interesting, each had pretty unqie design in terms of clothing, characteristic wise, each character also felt like they had something unqie to them e.g subaru's track suit or hair style, Roswaal's colourful outfit, Beatrices hair or pupil shapes, and so on. Other designs such as the white wales or malbeast's seemed pretty creative and unique in there own way. The gore and blood was well animated, again felt like this anime would of been lacking without some of the gory and traumatising scenes.

9/10 Amazing use of SFX that complimented well with certain scenes, definitely added that bonus kick to the horror, action, heartfelt moment scenes, i think the "witches call" is permanently etched into my brain. OP and ED were crisp, both MYTH & ROID songs were amazing choices, with "Redo" probably standing on top as my favourite, just because of how fantastically well the song fits with the animation and theme of "redoing". Also because of that one fight scene were Subaru actually flicks his badass switch to fight the Malbeast and this absolute banger starts.

All in all, this has to be one of the most hardcore version of "trial and error" i've ever seen.
No, but fr loved this anime, can't express enough of my thanks to it. The ending definitely touched my heart, having that feeling of looking back at were Subaru started compared to now, happy he got his happy ending, guy deserves it. Aww, but in my heart, i know Rem will always be the best to me.
Code0018Aug 23, 2020 10:19 PM
Sep 26, 2020 7:13 AM
Mar 2012
Directorcut rewatch. Recalled a a few key moments, but this show's still full of plottwist surprises. I think faster rewatch improves the experience, makes arcs clearer, notice more plot connections, character details, like how each relate to the Red Ogre story.
Also clarifies the central goals of Crusch, Roswaal etc shown by a causal line.

1st watch was slightly bothered by 2nd half quality drop. But this DC pacing changes really gave more emotional & character weight, especially on the Rem & Emilia scenes. Some action scenes are slightly redrawn, a hotter Julius, a more angry deranged Subaru, and a creepier Betelgeuse, cooler fx, and made the Whale fight more epic. Somehow noticed more nice comedy, or maybe it just hits better on 2nd try. Often we're made to think Subaru's cringey, but still find him quite funny.

For now it makes sense on more Rem fans, as she got 3 main arcs of 5. Emilia only got arc1, a bit of arc5, and shared arc2 with Roswaal group. But she doesn't deserve all the hate either. Yes they had a major quarrel in arc3 out of communication breakdown after the Royal selection. Notice she's leaning outside the door after the fight in the OP, she definitely cares. Emilia was focused on equality if she becomes ruler and especially dispelling the discrimination against half elves, all while Subaru treats her super special. They were both too stubborn at that moment, which nicely resolved itself in arc5 end.

Finally we see & hear Satella kinda. The Rem & Emilia key moments were both great, but lol a Petra moment now!?
And --Who's Rem?-- seriously!? like the biggest cliffhanger ever.
Maybe life be much smoother if Subaru chooses Felix, Petra or Otto, or just travel with Patrasche.
Sep 30, 2020 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
Pegelgeuse is a sloth, but he is a true workaholic. Even being half-dead did not stop him from giving 200% effort to achieve his goals, lol.

I quite didn't get how they damaged him and eventually destroyed, but oh well.

Subaru finally confessed his feelings to Emilia. It was really a cute scene, though I wouldn't mind if it was shorter.

It was a great anime with very good visuals, likeable characters, cool music and decent plot. While I dislike isekai genre in general, this anime is something I would describe as "truly different isekai", and adding "in a positive way".

The cliffhanger in the post-credit scene was shocking, but good at the same time, as a cliffhanger should be like.
Sep 30, 2020 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
Adnash93 said:
The Gospel Pegelgeuse had records the past and predicts the future of its holder (the predictions are vague, tho). If I remember correctly Subaru wrote "the end" there. Whether it ended Pegelgeuse life or destroyed his will to live is open to interpretation. Probably it was a combination of both.
Sep 30, 2020 1:40 PM

Oct 2013
mozgow said:
Adnash93 said:
The Gospel Pegelgeuse had records the past and predicts the future of its holder (the predictions are vague, tho). If I remember correctly Subaru wrote "the end" there. Whether it ended Pegelgeuse life or destroyed his will to live is open to interpretation. Probably it was a combination of both.

Yeah, I also thought it went more or less that way. Like, Subaru paralyzed his ability possess others, Julius severely damaged his body, but the final attack to completely destroy him was performed by writing certain phrase in Petelgeuse's book. At least, judging from the anime, it was the main trigger to completely destroy Petelgeuse.

I didn't know that his Gospel had that kind of future predictions. Was is told in the anime? If yes, then I must've forgotten about it, haha.
Sep 30, 2020 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
Adnash93 said:
I didn't know that his Gospel had that kind of future predictions. Was is told in the anime? If yes, then I must've forgotten about it, haha.
Well, it was said indirectly, IIRC. When Subaru meet Petelgeuse, Petelgeuse many times said something along those lines: "Why there is nothing about you in the Gospel?" or "The Gospel said nothing about this. Who are you?". It heavily implies he read something about future from it. Part 1 of season 2 has more about the Gospels.
Sep 30, 2020 5:38 PM

Oct 2013
mozgow said:
Adnash93 said:
Well, it was said indirectly, IIRC. When Subaru meet Petelgeuse, Petelgeuse many times said something along those lines: "Why there is nothing about you in the Gospel?" or "The Gospel said nothing about this. Who are you?". It heavily implies he read something about future from it. Part 1 of season 2 has more about the Gospels.

Yes, something like that was said directly, however I understood it like a very general prophecy of what would happen or what needs to happen in order to fulfill it. Something like a tale that might be understood differently depending on a person who reads it.

But agreed. It doesn't matter whether it was detailed or not, because if it had history of a certain Archbishop written in it, then writing "the end" as the last sentence could indeed affect the reality (here: it led to total destruction of Petelgeuse).

I started watching Season 2 Part 1 shortly after finishing Season 1. Cool that you mentioned that it will explain how the Gospels work like and what kind of artifacts they are. That made me even more interested on what is gonna happen in the further episodes. :)
Oct 5, 2020 8:39 PM

Jan 2014
I was hesitant to rewatch this (directors cut this time) but I’m glad I did! There was a lot I would’ve forgotten before starting s2. That cliffhanger is big oof, I’m kinda glad they didn’t include it in the original or I would’ve gone crazy lol.

I’m finding it hard to rate re:zero overall. It’s a really good deconstruction of the Isekai genre, but at the end of the day I still had to sit through an Isekai. I really dislike the general fantasy setting, character designs/personalities, and art style of re:zero, it just feels so generic to me. This basically means that whenever re:zero was in its “normal” SOL moments, I was kinda turned off, it was like an “eh this is tolerable I guess” sort of feeling. But man whenever re:zero was in its gritty high tension plot twist moments I was SO into it. The animation was always so fluid and the voice acting was insane, and for someone who really wasn’t attached to the world or its characters, I was VERY impressed by how well they developed Subaru (and rem’s) motivation/character arc. The other characters I could do without, but those in particular came such a far way from the beginning. (also Beatrice and Puck those two are perfect I love them)

Taking allllll of this into consideration I think I’m going to settle on a (perhaps generous) 9/10. Far outside my comfort zone, but hard to deny the superb execution
laputiaOct 5, 2020 8:47 PM
Oct 19, 2020 9:27 PM

Jun 2017
I really enjoyed this!
I though I would hate Julius in the end but he became one of my favorite characters, I hope more of him is in season 2 :)
8/10 (or an 8.7/10)
yura_marinetteOct 19, 2020 9:32 PM
Oct 20, 2020 2:22 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah, that was 'aight. It was 'aight. Haven't read the manga so I'm not gonna judge it on what scenes they left out or anything, just on the anime itself.

Had a lot going for it, it was solid, with really not much to complain about. It's really going to come down to personal preference and what your tastes are to determine whether you give this show a high rating or not. This is definitely one of the smartest isekai, if not the smartest, thanks to a more complex written character in that of natsuki subaru. Thankfully this is not the empty husk of a shell that other isekai are such as shield hero, which really lack any true substance. Solid animation, solid characters, and a solid story about our boy subaru trying to make everything be alright. Started out really liking the witty character of subaru, then started to dislike him for seemingly acting stupid and like a child. Then episode 18 happened and everything was let out. From then on you get an even better understanding for him until the last episode as he lays on emelia's lap as all the events are tied together and subaru lets his feelings out that while he may have initially been selfish, ultimately it was all for emelia, the woman he loved because... he randomly met her in an alleyway I guess...? Still kind of bummed that rem poured out her heart for him and sacrificed her life for him on multiple occasions but subaru shot her down in a split second. At least it didn't leave any bitterness in either of them and they both came to an understanding. Still sad though.

Want to talk about rem who was pretty much absent in the last few episodes. While she is my favorite part of the show, she also kind of breaks it for me. If she weren't there, then I'd be 100% behind subaru's efforts to save emelia. But because she's there in the background being a top tier waifu, couldn't but help thinking about her during the last episode when subaru was being all lovey dovey on emelia's lap. Basically the love rem has for subaru is the love subaru has for emelia, they died, a lot, for the ones they loved. It just sucks man. But I guess that's the whole point of the series, PAIN.

That said, that ending with the subaru and emelia just letting their feelings out was very satisfactory for me, wasn't expecting such a good conclusion because everything (for me) before was overall lackluster. Some really good moments, even the downtime wasn't utter trash, but I was kind of bored a lot of the time. Now I know this show doesn't really need a villain because the conflict is more based on subaru vs. the world, but our sort-of-main baddie being Betelgeuse was just annoying asf and not compelling at all. But other than him I didn't dislike any other character, good writing here.

And so our MC who transported to another world with no powers whatsoever saved the day and saved the girl- thanks to a power boost from top tier waifu rem giving him all her love and recharging his motivation. Anyway, a solid series, looking forward to watching those ovas and season 2, can't really say anything bad about it, but just isn't totally my taste. 6/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 20, 2020 5:48 PM

Jul 2014
@BadJoash
It seems you didn't watch the director's cut. I think you will be surprised by the first episode of season 2 (that episode is the final episode in arc 3).
Oct 21, 2020 12:37 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
@mozgow
So I just watched it, didn’t know the directors cut included that. Thought it was just a bunch of minor updates. But holy shit that would’ve been brutal if they kept that in the original back in 2016...

Anyway thanks for letting me know, I’m glad Subaru brought up such a delicate yet important topic, and also was a damn good Segway for season 2- which I’ll get around to watching some time

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 30, 2020 10:40 AM

Jul 2020
10/10, no doubt in my mind. Anime is not perfect, as nothing is, but they did a fantastic job of adapting the light novel.
Oct 31, 2020 2:39 PM
Apr 2018
Almost went and bought all the light novels!..Still might....
Pages (35) « First ... « 31 32 [33] 34 35 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

816 by MrList »»
8 hours ago

» Ferris and Subaru

Daddi4900 - Jun 3

10 by Daddi4900 »»
Jun 5, 4:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

» What happened to Emilia’s votes?

KillLaKillGOAT - May 29

7 by Phloup »»
May 29, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

1373 by kakaronie »»
May 28, 9:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.