Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll Announces the Removal of Its Comment Section Across All Platforms To 'Reduce Harmful Content'

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 9, 4:13 PM

Feb 2021
SwordBreaker36 said:
Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu is not made by crunchy only licensed
Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko Also not made by Crunchy but licensed
Leadale no Daichi nite Also not made but licensed.
WRONG, I think you don't know what you are talking about, because Crunchyroll is quite literally a member of the production committee for all of those shows.

I know this because unlike you, I actually know how to read the credits on the openings and endings of anime, and those shows literally have クランチロール credited with Production (製作) and under Production Committee (製作委員会)

SwordBreaker36 said:
While Crunchyroll previously co-produced anime titles, Which only includes those that Crunchyroll themselves officially place under the label. Following Sony's acquisition of Crunchyroll, the brand was quietly discontinued alongside the closure of the in-house production studios.
If you are talking about the "Crunchyroll Originals" label then you are wrong yet again, because CR had been producing anime even before that brand was created in 2020.

SwordBreaker36 said:
Ironic how you want to piss on me but barely knows jack shit a simple fucking google also can tell ya. So how about maybe not sniff your own farts and lay of the shrooms.
Ironic for you to say that when you have no IDEA how production committees actually work...

0063873192871 said:
Grow up, piss for brains.
Funny how you had no reply so you had to insult me instead....
Jul 9, 4:34 PM

May 2015
Reply to ColourWheel
@MadanielFL

I would just give it up. CR is just "THE" Boogie Man company when it comes to Anime no matter what you keep pointing out to other Users.

The irony is 147 companies in the world that own everything... Even if CR didn't exist Users would simply find a new Boogie Man company to complain about.
@ColourWheel

Ya’ll will literally defend this dogshit company till your last breath huh?

Jul 9, 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
What is the definition of "harmful content" btw? I would like to know.
Jul 9, 4:41 PM
Sep 2013
Pathetic.

CR doesn't want to moderate. CR doesn't want to deal with people points out the plethora of bullshit they do.
Comment sections were particularly important because of the latter.
If the show itself did some sort of bullshit, I want to know

That website defies all expectation and continues to downgrade itself.

Maybe talk of this started when CR's feelings got hurt when people were (rightfully) pissed at high guardian spice.

oappoJul 9, 4:54 PM
Jul 9, 4:51 PM

Sep 2008
how is this topic of all things generate THIS much interest? crunchyroll sucks, but this is a drop of water in an ocean. especially compared to much worse things they said or did.
for me this is just one more straw, nothing else.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jul 9, 5:52 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden
Pretty much it is a vague term for anything an individual with power dislikes can be taken down. It is purposely vague.
Jul 9, 5:59 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to deg
bigotry of some fans made crunchyroll decide this btw https://x.com/G0ffThew/status/1809576707151507963
@deg What a surprise. Snowflake homophobes spew hate and ruin another platform for discussion. Will companies ever learn that the way to foster healthy and larger communities is to kick all the bigots out? You'd think with X bleeding billions from letting the fascists run wild they'd figure it out, but I guess history has shown that the rich and greedy tend to have terrible vision.

At least for Crunchyroll the discussions aren't a serious focus of their business. Maybe than can focus more heavily on delivering the goods now.
Jul 9, 5:59 PM

May 2021
deg said:
All user-generated content, including comments and reviews, are no longer viewable on the streamer.

https://me.ign.com/en/tv-shows/222331/news/crunchyroll-announces-the-removal-of-its-comment-section-across-all-platforms-to-reduce-harmful-cont

will mal remove the forums and reviews too? so thoughts?

Thoughts is it's a cowerdly and lazy move many major sites (not only anime related) are doing

MAL is literally selfdescribed as an "anime and manga database and community", if you shut down people's opinions which enrich the database (reviews) and take away their community (forums) people are just gonna find alternatives which offer those
DigiCat is on Vacation!
Jul 9, 6:00 PM

Jun 2024
ive heard some rumours that it could be thx to painoko and/or bl review bombers. either way more forum users for us
chidori and haru >>>> any other persona character
Jul 9, 6:04 PM
Aug 2022
Even though I disagree with the comments they make everything being said today has to be to everyones approval which is bull! Don't like what I say well they are my opinions. None should have to watch what they say just in case it hurts someone's little feelings.
Jul 9, 6:08 PM

Mar 2009
Reply to MadanielFL
SwordBreaker36 said:
Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu is not made by crunchy only licensed
WRONG, I think you don't know what you are talking about, because Crunchyroll is quite literally a member of the production committee for all of those shows.

I know this because unlike you, I actually know how to read the credits on the openings and endings of anime, and those shows literally have クランチロール credited with Production (製作) and under Production Committee (製作委員会)

SwordBreaker36 said:
While Crunchyroll previously co-produced anime titles, Which only includes those that Crunchyroll themselves officially place under the label. Following Sony's acquisition of Crunchyroll, the brand was quietly discontinued alongside the closure of the in-house production studios.
If you are talking about the "Crunchyroll Originals" label then you are wrong yet again, because CR had been producing anime even before that brand was created in 2020.

SwordBreaker36 said:
Ironic how you want to piss on me but barely knows jack shit a simple fucking google also can tell ya. So how about maybe not sniff your own farts and lay of the shrooms.
Ironic for you to say that when you have no IDEA how production committees actually work...

0063873192871 said:
@MadanielFL Man I never seen any one suck so much company dick sense I had an argument some one defending EA.

So your gonna give credit to an American subscription video on-demand company who´s only production was throwing money at Maho Film to make it a studio not even part of the committee.

So your gonna tell me that the PS2 version of Dragon Quest VIII that was made by Level-5 was actually made by Square enix becuse they are the Publisher and are credited in the game as well.

Man Crunchy´s dick is so far up your ass you Piss on the ones who fucking worked on the anime´s Maho film and if we shall get nit picky the orginal creations goes to. Roy, Ceez, Ennki Hakari who are the original creators and story writers of the Novels. Or are you gonna Piss on them ass well all in the name of getting Crunchy to not bitch slap you.

And I will insult you to no end because when a company loving capitalist who think they will get free gifts and love by defending a shitty as company and HAVE ZERO fucking respect for the people who fucking actually did all the job and instead you give credits to a shitty committee member who´s only ORIGINAL anime was so ass fucking Hayao Miyazaki would die of shame how bad it was.

But right I don´t know how capitalist works but I do how ever have respect for the animators and the studio that worked their asses of for it. I love By the grace of the gods because Roy wrote a damn good Light Novel that was adapted in to an anime by Maho Film and Directed by Takeyuki Yanase and written by Kazuyuki Fudeyasu. I don´t give a ratts as if Crunchy paid for it or not.

"fun fact Crunchy stared out in 2006 and was an American a for-profit video upload and streaming site that specialized in hosting East Asian content. Some of the content hosted on Crunchyroll included versions of East Asian shows that had been subtitled by fans. And if you read the whole history on with several different sources they all say the same Crunchy has not made any original amines until 2020 when they initially announced seven series under its Crunchyroll Originals label. Before that 5 different websites keep saying all they done is stream and released DVD´s.

So say what you wish but 5 different sources that agree are more believable a company dick sucker on MAL.

Jul 9, 6:12 PM

May 2021
Reply to WatchTillTandava
It's the IMDB fiasco all over again. I don't have a Crunchyroll account, don't watch anything on their website or indeed even visit their website so this decision has no personal effect on me. But this type of behavior will never stop on the part of these companies as long as enough people - more specifically enough of the relevant people - those they actually have any financial incentive to care about the stance of - i.e. their primary shareholders and customer base which generates the revenue - don't stand up to them and challenge and resist such actions as soon as they appear.

Absolutely disgusting and beyond contempt, but this is exactly a scenario which has been repeated too many times now across years in too many different places and forms, and will likely only continue as long as they don't receive a powerful answer in turn in the form of sufficient pushback.

IMDB still deserves and has fully earned all the ire and disgust for what they did all those years ago and I hope they never live it down.

Utterly without any valid justification whatsoever.

Multilynx said:
Seeing the constant barrage of blatant abuse, harassment, hate and homophobia on Crunchyroll has been absolutely devastating for me and I am sure others as well.

Literally just don't read it if something is that annoying or upsetting to you personally. That goes for anyone. The idea that websites should be purged of viewer and user discussions and debates, feedback, etc. is completely absurd, be it forums to discuss anime and other forms of media and other art and hobbyist forums, comment sections on YouTube videos or news articles (censoring of the latter of which has picked up exponentially in recent years and is a large part of this current wave in recent years of fervor on the part of some militants to try to purge and police everywhere else in the same manner).

No one needs to be protected from being exposed to opinions that they disagree with, may dislike or even disdain and abhor. That's ludicrous. It's an individual's responsibility to either be able to handle hearing and seeing views and content they disagree with or simply tune out, change the channel, click away from the website, etc., if they don't feel they are emotionally mature and tolerant enough to do so. I see, read, and hear things I dislike and disagree with all day every day on the internet, TV, and out in the world. I probably disagree with 99% of people on 99%+ of things, like you right now on this issue. That's reality. Censoring it is unjustifiable and shouldn't be seriously contemplated or catered to. It was a healthier world and environment when consideration of such wasn't even an option or even humored, and still is healthier in mediums and venues where that remains the case.
@WatchTillTandava Couldn't have said it better
DigiCat is on Vacation!
Jul 9, 6:34 PM
Feb 2024
Reply to MadanielFL
SwordBreaker36 said:

SwordBreaker36 said:

SwordBreaker36 said:

0063873192871 said:
@MadanielFL Of course I had to "insult you", because your point made no sense and you proceeded to do a red herring over an argument I didn't even hold in the first place. Crunchyroll had no role in Dimension W. And I'm not a deranged partisan: Crunchyroll isn't one person, nor do they have reverse Midas touch. Had they worked on Dimension W, I would still like it just as I do now. End of discussion. You're a braindead manchild, I'm only making this comment so that people have context on the Dimension W situation.
Jul 9, 7:20 PM

May 2021
Reply to Merve2Love
Can you blame them?

Compare it with the Forums here. Most succesful onse are hateful rants and/or threads about who we dislike the most.
Good decision on their part.
People are self centered idiots who can't behave. So...yeah....tough shit.

MaL has to keep doing this tho, they can't get rid of it, without destroying their site... so don't worry. Your opinion will always be acknowledged by us, unfortunatly.
@Merve2Love If getting rid of forums is such a good decision then why do you still seem to be addicted to participating to them? Guess you like the acknowledgement more than you like to admit :)
DigiCat is on Vacation!
Jul 9, 7:40 PM
Mar 2015
Crunchyroll's got too many ads on their anime steaming. It's costly to go premium. The comment section should be open!!
Jul 9, 7:54 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to TsukuyomiREKT
@ColourWheel

TsukuyomiREKT said:

Unlike others on here I don't give a shit about this "controversy". I never used the comment section or reviews on the site. The convenience of CR or any other streaming platform I use is simply just to legit check out newly released seasonal Anime they offer closer to when it airs in Japan. Because without this convenience I would be forced to legally wait till I could get my hands on Anime on official physical copies which could be over a year in the West. Even before CR or any streaming platform existed over half of any Anime that was getting produced in Japan would still take anywhere between 5 years to full decade for any type of official physical release in the west unless someone was simply just relying on imports from Japan and that would still take at least a few months to a year after something aired in Japan and the price would exponentially cost a lot more too.

If the day happened anytime soon where CR actually shutdown there would likely be a hell of a lot more Users complaining about simply trying to legally find the Anime they wanted to watch in the West. Because well over half the newly released seasonal Anime that gets pirated or even uploaded on Torrents sites are directly ripped from CR anyways. Also Physical released Anime in the West would almost become extinct because like @MadanielFL has pointed out CR basically produces and distributes a majority of the Anime that ever Officially makes it on physical Blu-ray in the West these days. I think well over 90% of all the new seasonal Anime on western Blu-ray I have bought in the last four years is actually distributed by CR or Funimation (which is apart of CR now) and most of the stuff Users still have to wait over a year for it to get released that way anyways even after an Anime series finishes airing.

As an example I could go to a torrent site right now and try to look for any randomly newly released Anime series in the last few weeks still airing and well over half of everything offered in the search would likely be directly linked to Crunchyroll. If CR suddenly went away just Torrent Users alone would be scrambling to find the stuff they wanted to watch since CR holds the distribution licenses for well over a majority of all newly released seasonal Anime these days in the west. They would still hold those licenses for a while till they expired or unless they transferred them to someone else.

User that are so Anti-Crunchyroll should just stop watching over half of all newly released seasonal Anime all together because I simply don't see CR ever going away any time soon and it's likely CR will simply just keep playing a bigger role in this medium when it comes to not only western distribution but also production as well (which technically CR already has started playing a bigger role these days in this medium for quite a while now).

User who complain about stuff like "High Guardian Spice" should just simply ignore that shit. I certainly wouldn't watch that shit either and no one is forcing me to watch it even if I do subscribe to CR. Being upset CR helped produced something that is not Japanese Anime is like being upset Netflix was involved in producing some lame Western movie or TV series that one has no interest in watching. It would be like one complaining about MAL because they have Hentai in the database when one can simply just filter that shit out and ignore it too. Just because MAL has Hentai in the database isn't forcing Users to consume it. Just be happy one can filter Hentai out just like one can simply just not watch "High Guardian Spice" if they are a paid member to CR (Unlike how Users on MAL can't filter out Chinese Donghua shit. MAL really should have some button in the search so Users can easily filter that garbage out like one can do to filter out Hentai and kids shows).

Now if CR started to help producing Western Animation in mass and trying to pass it off as Japanese Anime then I would start to have a serious problem with CR and likely eventually just quit watching all newly released Anime all together off their platform if suddenly this medium became flooded with just Western cartoons. No doubt I would stop subscribing to CR and even might give up on Anime all together depending on how wide spread it became. I Would likely do the same thing if suddenly this medium became more Chinese Donghua Garbage than actual Japanese Anime. Reminds me how I stopped going to the theater to watch Marvel Universe Movies and Star Wars Movies once Disney took control of them. I didn't even bother to go see any of the Avengers Movies or bother watching any of the new Star Wars movies either.
ColourWheelJul 9, 10:26 PM
Jul 9, 8:01 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to DigimonSommelier
Crunchyroll's got too many ads on their anime steaming. It's costly to go premium. The comment section should be open!!
@DigimonSommelier 14,36$ per month it's costly? McDonald's is even more expensive and there it's one time as Cr it's for the whole month.
Jul 9, 8:12 PM

Apr 2024
I'm a little sad, I used to have some good fun reading some of those comments, but I also tend to watch on my actual TV nowadays, so it kinda feels like a fossil feature to me. It does kinda make Cruynchyroll pretty homogenous to other streaming services, though
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jul 9, 8:44 PM

Feb 2021
SwordBreaker36 said:
Man I never seen any one suck so much company dick sense I had an argument some one defending EA.
For someone who loves offending people like that, you sure are a dumb and ignorant person...

Again, you saying I'm a bootlicker does not make anything I said any less true.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Cr has in fact been producing anime ever since 2015, way before the CR originals brand was a thing.

And since you big brain is unable to read, in no point I ever said that they made those shows, simply that they helped produce it as a member of the production committee, but I'm 99% sure that your smartass has no idea what production committees even are, let alone how they work.

Because believe it or not, but it wasn't Maho Film who decided to give Leadale an anime adaptatation, it was the producers, and they simply contracted Maho Film to make the animation for them, it's also the producers who hire the staff that works on the show, including the director, music composer, character designer, and so on.
And I'm pretty sure you are like 99% of the casual and ignorant anime fans who has no idea how anime production actually works, and thinks the studio is responsible for everything.

Also like I said, unlike you and your giant brain, I actually know how to read anime credits, and I know which companies are the producers for most show.
For CR, you can simply look at the ending credits and see their name in JP (クランチロール) listed.

There are plenty of sources that show the anime CR has helped produce, but your big brain is unable to conduct a simple search.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2019-01-28/.142633
https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/features/2017/12/30/crunchyrolls-2017-co-productions
https://www.cbr.com/crunchyroll-solo-leveling-anime-production-responsible/
https://myanimelist.net/news/42769266
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2020-02-25/global-anime-brand-crunchyroll-reveals-inaugural-slate-of-crunchyroll-originals/.156672#:~:text=Crunchyroll%20Originals%20is,among%20many%20others.

And also big brain, there is a difference between PRODUCING something, and MAKING it, but I guess you are illiterate, so reading is not your strong suit...

Jul 9, 10:52 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
@RobertBobert I don't know how Crunchyroll commenters and reviewers feel, actually. As a user, I did like the comments section, since they usually had a few good jokes and some takes that I really connected with. I did not care for the review section at all; most of them were written after the first episode and not very informative.

I've been looking at this and talking about this from the "corpo" perspective, mostly. Comparing them to other recent service/policy changes in other sites, like Reddit changing their API pricing last year, leading to many apps shutting down and some of the biggest subreddits going private in protest (nothing got changed in the end, as far as I know). Or Netflix cracking down on password-sharing (as far as I know, this led to an uptick in subscriber count, so worth it, I guess). Or Crunchyroll's parent company Sony shooting itself in the foot by requiring PlayStation accounts from Helldivers 2 PC players (they did roll that one back).

From what I've seen, corporations, once they get large enough, seem very comfortable introducing changes that directly inconvenience their customers. They know for a fact that things tend to blow over and most people will still stick around.
@perseii They changed it only formally, without actually doing anything, and online of game continue to seriously decline due to the lack of any serious updates.

Is that why so many companies are caught up in all this modern crap? Expecting the audience to just get used to it and move on?
Jul 10, 6:05 AM

Mar 2013
I miss creators etc having comments here.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jul 10, 6:19 AM

May 2023
I don't care too much about it, since I didn't use Crunchyroll for socializing. Lately, at least on PC where I use Crunchyroll, there were no notifications for being upvoted or answered to, no way to visit users' profiles. The social aspect of it became so barebones the last few years that I wasn't even compelled to make use of it. So, at least for me, there's almost no difference. For anime socializing we have MAL, so I guess it's alright. :-)
Jul 10, 6:47 AM

Jan 2023
"Closed for problematic and offensive content". I'm sorry to say but if you get offended by words on a screen by people who you will never meet or interact with in person, you have incredibly thin skin and are frankly pathetic. Why can't we just call people "retards" and move on? It worked that way for a long time. But now, we have to shut down sections of things so wittle Timmy would get his feewings hurt
死人に口なし
Jul 10, 7:03 AM

Nov 2019
Oh holy... Meanwhile, Pornhub's comment section is the best feature of that shite.

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 10, 8:07 AM

Aug 2016
Going out of your way to open an episode of a yaoi series just to type a homophobic comment honestly says more about you than anyone else. Why is it that you care so much about the existence of an anime where two guys make out? Is there something about yourself that you're afraid of confronting?
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jul 10, 9:42 AM

Jan 2021
I guess it a good thing MAL exists, as it allows consumers of anime a place to voice there opinions and see a user aggerated score.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Jul 10, 9:48 AM
Mar 2024
Guess this puts it more in line with other streaming services, like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, etc..
Jul 10, 11:07 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to KittenCuddler
@deg What a surprise. Snowflake homophobes spew hate and ruin another platform for discussion. Will companies ever learn that the way to foster healthy and larger communities is to kick all the bigots out? You'd think with X bleeding billions from letting the fascists run wild they'd figure it out, but I guess history has shown that the rich and greedy tend to have terrible vision.

At least for Crunchyroll the discussions aren't a serious focus of their business. Maybe than can focus more heavily on delivering the goods now.
@KittenCuddler gay people are just being used as a scapegoate so they use them as shills. lmao

the real answer is they got caught using AI subs and removed comment sections to duck the backlash.
Jul 10, 11:09 AM

Mar 2018
@deg. can you update your OP to reflect the things that come to the spotlight in regards to this incident with the ai subs and stuff? lots of people are regurgitating CR's pr and eating it up like sheep without reading the follow up comments on the thread.
Jul 10, 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Phantomnocomics
@deg. can you update your OP to reflect the things that come to the spotlight in regards to this incident with the ai subs and stuff? lots of people are regurgitating CR's pr and eating it up like sheep without reading the follow up comments on the thread.
@Phantomnocomics or its both so its enshittification anyway updated the first post
Jul 10, 12:05 PM
Jul 2023
Building a chrome extension that brings a new comment section to each page. Based on comentario;
Jul 10, 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
I have never seen anyone post harmful or illegal content on Crunchyroll btw.
Jul 10, 1:09 PM

Jun 2007
Just leaving this here for the record, but take it with a large grain of salt as it's a Reddit / Telephone Game / "I Know A Guy" exchange:

The TL;DR of the spoilered text is that it supports the "review/comments removed because advertisers took issue with the antigay review-bombing" theory, and that doing so provided a simultaneous cost/resource-saving benefit to the company. Some note that Funimation also removed user-generated content from its now-shuttered site after being acquired by Sony, so maybe that's the direction things were always headed anyway.

After all, CR already experienced a similar backlash to questionable/maybe-AI subs with Yuzuki family, and that didn't cause a total shutdown of comments; they fixed the subs and moved on.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jul 10, 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
Hear ye hear ye let the internet historians write my opinion down to immortalize my existence!

This is clearly an attack of freedom of speech and a huge win on censorship & hivemind creation.

In the near future The Internet will be devoid of real humans. It will be full of AI's instead, posing to be real humans spouting hivemind ideologies. Real humans will realise to stay the F out of these places and to never open their virtual mouths, because you just F know you will always hurt somebodies safe space bubble and maximum repercussion is encouraged, justified and obligatory by law. FALL IN LINE YOU MAGGOTS!
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
Jul 10, 1:16 PM
Jul 11, 10:34 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to HulkTySSJ2
Blocking/deleting is for Wokies and wusses.
Either ignore or fight back like a normal person.
@HulkTySSJ2 Ikr, all those woke snowflakes who cried about a gay anime should have just ignored it instead of spamming one star reviews lol
Jul 11, 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't surprise me. With how these forums get sometimes, its understandable.

But its not really my place to dictate what a website can and cannot do. If they wanna do that, then that is their decision.
Jul 11, 10:39 AM

Nov 2015
blame all the homophobic comments who love to hate on BL.

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 11, 11:27 AM

Feb 2014
As a proponent of free speech, it sucks. But to review bomb BL when you could ignore it is childish and stupid. Here's to all the fat, out of shape, no business being born insecure rat soup eating muthafuckas who ruined it for the rest of us.
Talk about insignificant beings... Both you... And I...
Jul 11, 6:49 PM
Jul 2024
I really don't care what the reason was. In the long run, something I've enjoyed for the last 3 years ( I've used Crunchy to stream for over 4 years now) is gone. A lot of those people were pretty good, if casual friends. Toxic people? Yeah, over the last year there seems to have been more of them than in the Past, but the Old Timers held on. Being able to post on a show right after it's released under the show was just FUN.
Jul 11, 9:56 PM

Dec 2022
Crunchyroll is ran by absolute buffoons. First the forums, now this. Is free speech no longer allowed?

Jul 12, 12:20 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to tectacles
Crunchyroll is ran by absolute buffoons. First the forums, now this. Is free speech no longer allowed?
tectacles said:

Free speech has never existed before in the context you are implying when it comes to privately owned companies. Crunchyroll isn't some publicly funded platform nor is it a public forum where anyone can just randomly voice their opinions without fear of repercussions.

If one was once use to getting away voicing their opinion on a privately owned platform before, it's simply because the platform simply just allowed it for the time being. Where at any time they could have change their User agreements or rules at a drop of a hat and expel any Users off their platforms for even the most petty of reasons like simply not liking specific Users and usually totally get away with it.

Even dating back to the early 2000s every small internet forum community that existed has always operated like dictatorships where the moderators and the administration umbrella rules all.

Even in the context of free speech this doesn't imply there can't be consequences to things someone might say either. Sure people in general can usually get away voicing their opinions but this doesn't give them blanket protection. If a User pisses off enough people in a community over something they say they can be easily labeled and treated as a pariah and usually rightfully so. Being part of a community and expect to be respected as such one shouldn't have a conceded attitude towards this and be more self aware of the things they say.

Even in America the 1st Amendment has limitations. As an example a person can't get away going into a crowded theater and start yelling "FIRE!" over and over again when there isn't one. Free speech in America only really protects political speech and only applies to actual public forums (on the internet or in real life) that are not privately owned when it comes to what you are talking about and even this has limitations as well where one can't start making threats to harm people and get away claiming it's political.

If I went around town calling everyone that passed me by an asshole completely unprovoked, I have a right to do that. But that would just make me an asshole and likely instantly labeled a menace to society. I could even potentially get arrested for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. Sure I am free to say what I want in this context but even free speech can have consequences for the hypothetical actions I took. Sure, Users online can generally claim they have a right to say what ever they want but even beyond rules and regulations that might or could allow them to do so doesn't mean there can't be any consequences at all for the things they say or do.
ColourWheelJul 12, 12:37 PM
Jul 12, 12:21 AM

Apr 2024
Maybe if people behaved themselves it wouldn't come to this lol
Jul 12, 12:56 AM

Oct 2019
Another example of a company solving the problem by earasing the question.

your legs hurt? just chop them off!

As if youtube dislikes weren't bad enough.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 12, 1:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to KittenCuddler

@KittenCuddler I'm more than sure that they had been planning to do this for a long time, this incident just gave them a beautiful excuse. It would be naive to think that they took such a radical step just because of one flash mob of trolls.
Jul 12, 4:44 AM

May 2018
Reply to Mirai
@HulkTySSJ2 Ikr, all those woke snowflakes who cried about a gay anime should have just ignored it instead of spamming one star reviews lol
@Mirai
Nope. Comments are skippable. Thumbnail for the gay thing will end up in your field of vision regardless. LOL
Jul 12, 6:20 AM
Jul 2023
Imgur Images

Built this (extension) in a day as a replacement for comments on crunchyroll. Supports live comments, and more nesting levels.
Tested on both chrome and firefox.
Jul 12, 12:11 PM
Jul 2024
I'm pretty sure they were planning to do this. I believe it was Sony trying to quiet critics who have been getting louder on Crunchyroll lately. It hasn't only been AI subs, but often subs arriving 2-3 hours after the episodes get there. This only started AFTER the Funimation Merger, BTW. Well, I never paid it much mind, but every time it happened, 50% of the comments could/would be "No subs? AGAIN? Why do I pay for this?!" All they had to do was report it to the tech support people. Anyway, after over a year or more of this, I'm pretty sure NOW Sony noticed this and maybe got nervous about negative press.
Jul 12, 12:26 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden Anything that they deem to be a threat to their company value.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 13, 11:23 AM
Jul 2023
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Would you still watch a sequel where the cup size of the waifus are reduced?

Dragevard - Jul 26

27 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Have you ever encouraged a non-anime watcher to start anime?

nirererin - 11 hours ago

46 by DesuMaiden »»
12 minutes ago

» To the people who have a mean score under 6 , are you happy? ( 1 2 )

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

67 by DesuMaiden »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime you like not for the main character, but in spite of them

IpreferEcchi - Jul 10

14 by DesuMaiden »»
28 minutes ago

» The Weeb Chart ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jul 15

91 by zedtronic »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.