Forum Settings
Forums

Share and discuss your unpopular perspectives on highly-acclaimed anime series

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 11, 2018 6:20 PM

Aug 2013
LunaUri said:
1. There’s a difference between being depressed & not being grateful for literally being given EVERY reason to be happy. I went through some heavy shit, similar to Rei’s situation (as a teenager), & I would have killed to have the strong support system that he has & financial stability.

I don't know where you're coming from that he does not feel grateful. One of the top reasons he feels bad is because he recognizes how nicely he is treated by people around him, but he feels he can't do anything for them. Since he becomes more and more engrossed with the people around him as time goes by, this criticism doesn't even make sense. Again I feel like we haven't watched the same thing.

LunaUri said:
2. He makes fun of the older man after the match is over & monologues about how pathetic the guy’s life is (in his head), which I think is the douche-iest thing ever.

Dude, Rei NEVER made fun of him, nor did he call his life pathetic. Are you sure you watched the episode?
The moment he noticed the guy's mistake in the match, he begun mentally begging for him to not give up on the match, not make fun at him. Rei notices the guy went to their match drunk. The guy even tries make Rei feel bad about his loss. His subsequent rant at that scene was never about how pathetic the guy's life is. It is about how weak as a shogi player the guy is, which is true, and if he wants to change that, he should train more, and not dive his sorrows into the bottle. It was also about how important shogi is to him, and he can't have the luxury of giving it up for other people's sake. One of the main themes of the show is that people shouldn't be mollycoddled, and should instead strive to become better than they are, so it's only natural that Rei would criticize a man who cowardly tries to blame others for his own problems instead of trying to overcome that by hard work.

So yeah, I'm sorry to say that, my impression is that you don't really know what you're talking about, honestly.

LunaUri said:
3. If his step-sister molested or assaulted him, why does the series never make a point of clarifying it & instead goes about it in an overly artsy, symbolic way. At least Aku no Hana & Oyasumi Punpun had the cajones to address that the female-on-male sexual assault happened, without skirting around the issue & later making the assaulter more sympathetic. I didn’t say his living situation was ideal, but imagine if he was in a typical foster situation, where EVERYONE abuses him & treats him as lesser.

Because there's something in storytelling called "subtlety". Not everything in a story should be hammered into the audience's head for them to take a hint, not everything should be blatant if it can be done in a minimalist way. 3-gatsu is built upon various of these subtle moments, while the other two you mentioned are pretty much the opposite; specially Aku no Hana which jackhammers its allegory into your head all the way through.

Also I have no idea why you think Kyouko is becoming sympathetic. Her whole character is centered around she suffering because of the way she is, so you're coming out of nowhere, and I still see many more people hating on her than sympathetic towards her.

Actually, it's really weird you say you dislike 3-gatsu because it has too much self-pity and at the same time likes Punpun and Aku no Hana.
Oyasumi Punpun has everything you say you hate about 3-gatsu: Inio Asano even said once he added a whole lot of characters and subplots because a whole story centered around a whining kid would be boring. He also said he identified more with Sachi than Punpun, who was more "realistic" than him who was always cowering with self-pity instead of moving on with his life. Even at the end he never learned to appreciate the support he had from his friends, because according to Asano himself the ending was a bad one, because all Punpun wanted from life was to be alone and mourn the loss of Aiko. So basically it has everything you say you dislike about 3-gatsu.
Aku no Hana is the same thing. Kasuga spents the entire story lamenting himself, isn't happy about his life even when he got people around and goes out of his way with a mad person like Nakamura instead of being happy with the people he has in his life, and the end hints that he never overcame any of his demons.
So yeah, it's weird how you use precisely those two manga to talk about why you dislike 3-gatsu, which is way more about overcoming your weaknesses and stop whining than those two.

"but imagine if he was in a typical foster situation, where EVERYONE abuses him & treats him as lesser."

Honestly, it just sounds like you're applying your own standards of suffering to other people rather than understanding that each person has its own circumstances.

LunaUri said:
4. I understand the value that shogi has to him, but the artistic direction in that episode was so contentious that it made me immeadiately see it as whining.

That's not very substantial, but ok.
Satyr_iconOct 11, 2018 6:29 PM
Oct 11, 2018 6:55 PM

Jan 2016
meatbun_ said:
LunaUri said:
1. There’s a difference between being depressed & not being grateful for literally being given EVERY reason to be happy. I went through some heavy shit, similar to Rei’s situation (as a teenager), & I would have killed to have the strong support system that he has & financial stability.

I don't know where you're coming from that he does not feel grateful. One of the top reasons he feels bad is because he recognizes how nicely he is treated by people around him, but he feels he can't do anything for them. Since he becomes more and more engrossed with the people around him as time goes by, this criticism doesn't even make sense. Again I feel like we haven't watched the same thing.

LunaUri said:
2. He makes fun of the older man after the match is over & monologues about how pathetic the guy’s life is (in his head), which I think is the douche-iest thing ever.

Dude, Rei NEVER made fun of him, nor did he call his life pathetic. Are you sure you watched the episode?
The moment he noticed the guy's mistake in the match, he begun mentally begging for him to not give up on the match, not make fun at him. Rei notices the guy went to their match drunk. The guy even tries make Rei feel bad about his loss. His subsequent rant at that scene was never about how pathetic the guy's life is. It is about how weak as a shogi player the guy is, which is true, and if he wants to change that, he should train more, and not dive his sorrows into the bottle. It was also about how important shogi is to him, and he can't have the luxury of giving it up for other people's sake. One of the main themes of the show is that people shouldn't be mollycoddled, and should instead strive to become better than they are, so it's only natural that Rei would criticize a man who cowardly tries to blame others for his own problems instead of trying to overcome that by hard work.

So yeah, I'm sorry to say that, my impression is that you don't really know what you're talking about, honestly.

LunaUri said:
3. If his step-sister molested or assaulted him, why does the series never make a point of clarifying it & instead goes about it in an overly artsy, symbolic way. At least Aku no Hana & Oyasumi Punpun had the cajones to address that the female-on-male sexual assault happened, without skirting around the issue & later making the assaulter more sympathetic. I didn’t say his living situation was ideal, but imagine if he was in a typical foster situation, where EVERYONE abuses him & treats him as lesser.

Because there's something in storytelling called "subtlety". Not everything in a story should be hammered into the audience's head for them to take a hint, not everything should be blatant if it can be done in a minimalist way. 3-gatsu is built upon various of these subtle moments, while the other two you mentioned are pretty much the opposite; specially Aku no Hana which jackhammers its allegory into your head all the way through.

Also I have no idea why you think Kyouko is becoming sympathetic. Her whole character is centered around she suffering because of the way she is, so you're coming out of nowhere, and I still see many more people hating on her than sympathetic towards her.

Actually, it's really weird you say you dislike 3-gatsu because it has too much self-pity and at the same time likes Punpun and Aku no Hana.
Oyasumi Punpun has everything you say you hate about 3-gatsu: Inio Asano even said once he added a whole lot of characters and subplots because a whole story centered around a whining kid would be boring. He also said he identified more with Sachi than Punpun, who was more "realistic" than him who was always cowering with self-pity instead of moving on with his life. Even at the end he never learned to appreciate the support he had from his friends, because according to Asano himself the ending was a bad one, because all Punpun wanted from life was to be alone and mourn the loss of Aiko. So basically it has everything you say you dislike about 3-gatsu.
Aku no Hana is the same thing. Kasuga spents the entire story lamenting himself, isn't happy about his life even when he got people around and goes out of his way with a mad person like Nakamura instead of being happy with the people he has in his life, and the end hints that he never overcame any of his demons.
So yeah, it's weird how you use precisely those two manga to talk about why you dislike 3-gatsu, which is way more about overcoming your weaknesses and stop whining than those two.

"but imagine if he was in a typical foster situation, where EVERYONE abuses him & treats him as lesser."

Honestly, it just sounds like you're applying your own standards of suffering to other people rather than understanding that each person has its own circumstances.

LunaUri said:
4. I understand the value that shogi has to him, but the artistic direction in that episode was so contentious that it made me immeadiately see it as whining.

That's not very substantial, but ok.

1. Did you finish reading Oyasumi Punpun & Aku no Hana? Both Punpun & Kasuga come to terms with their trauma. From what I’ve just read from you, it seems like you didn’t finish them. They both get closure, accept reality, & live simplistic lives after their respective climaxes.
2. All of the rest of these are just in the eye of the beholder. I haven’t read the manga for 3-Gatsu, but SHAFT made everything more juvenile & dramatic than it should be. And I absolutely hated the portrayal of Rei’s character.
3. There’s a difference between subtlety and not mentioning something that could alter the audience’s view of a couple of characters. I call that bad story writing.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 7:25 PM

Aug 2013
LunaUri said:
1. Did you finish reading Oyasumi Punpun & Aku no Hana? Both Punpun & Kasuga come to terms with their trauma. From what I’ve just read from you, it seems like you didn’t finish them. They both get closure, accept reality, & live simplistic lives after the respective climaxes.

No, Punpun didn't. He neither accepts reality nor he likes the life he's bound to live. I'm not coming out of nowhere here. Inio Asano himself said that. Here:

Asano: After Aiko died, what he really wanted to do was just live a lonely life mourning for her, but in the end he gets caught by Satchan and it all gets sort of muddled. Punpun is broken at that point. When he talks with Aiko in his dream (chapter 145), he says something along the lines of wishing he could just disappear from everyone’s memories, but even that wish isn’t granted.

(...)

Asano: Right to the very end, I wasn’t sure how to go about doing the last chapter. Among the possibilities I’d considered, I’d thought up an ending in which Punpun dies.

–How?

Asano: Satchan’s child falls off a train station platform, Punpun goes down to save him, dies instead. It’s a very clean way to end. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to end on such a clean note.

–What do you mean, “clean”?

Asano: It’s too clear-cut an ending for the story. It wraps it all up a little too well. Living is harder than dying, see, so I thought this was the most painful, worst possible ending for Punpun, and that’s why in the end I went with this final chapter.

–The worst ending is the truest ending for this manga, you’re saying.

Asano: Yes. But there are also some people out there who say it was a happy ending. It’s fiction, after all, so I’m all for people making of it what they will. It’d actually be pretty boring if everyone had the same opinion of it. The way people were so divided on the final chapter was exactly what made reading their opinions interesting for me.

Source: https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/

So well, not only did I finish it, I'd say I've even read a bit more than you, heh.

About Aku no Hana, either Kasuga got his closure and freedom from Nakamura is not clear. The ending is left pretty open at that. If we are going to analyse the lives and works of Rimbaud and Baudelaire, I'd say he didn't.

And still, the fact that both manga features a whining teenager, which you say to hate, still stands. Even if in your eyes they did come to terms with themselves in the end, it took a loooooong way for that, and so it's weird that you endured through them, but gave up early with 3-gatsu without seeing his development to the end. It sounds more like bias than anything else.

LunaUri said:
2. All of the rest of these are just in the eye of the beholder. I haven’t read the manga for 3-Gatsu, but SHAFT made everything more juvenile & dramatic than it should be. And I absolutely hated the portrayal of Rei’s character.

No, it isn't on the eye of the beholder. You said Rei made fun of the guy, but in the scene there's absolutely NOTHING that gives the impression he was making fun of him, unless you completely misunderstood the whole sequence. There was no way that scene could have been wrongly interpreted.

But yeah, you having not liked the way Shaft did it is, I'll give it that.

LunaUri said:
3. There’s a difference between subtlety and not mentioning something that could alter the audience’s view of a couple of characters. I call that bad story writing.

She...she literally leaps into his bedroom through the window in the dead of the night and pins him to the bead, in a VERY threatening way. There's even a scene with his pajama unbottoned, which I don't remember well but I figure it's a kind of flashback. Really, what more do you need?

There has been a whole lot of discussion about that, and most of the people I've talked with about the anime seems to be aware of that, and thinks that she did assaulted him. If everyone else managed to grasp it and you didn't, I'd say you just didn't take the hint.
Satyr_iconOct 11, 2018 7:29 PM
Oct 11, 2018 7:28 PM

Apr 2018
CHC said:
3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

I'll just let this picture do the talking:
Oct 11, 2018 7:42 PM

Jan 2016
meatbun_ said:
LunaUri said:
1. Did you finish reading Oyasumi Punpun & Aku no Hana? Both Punpun & Kasuga come to terms with their trauma. From what I’ve just read from you, it seems like you didn’t finish them. They both get closure, accept reality, & live simplistic lives after the respective climaxes.

No, Punpun didn't. He neither accepts reality nor he likes the life he's bound to live. I'm not coming out of nowhere here. Inio Asano himself said that. Here:

Asano: After Aiko died, what he really wanted to do was just live a lonely life mourning for her, but in the end he gets caught by Satchan and it all gets sort of muddled. Punpun is broken at that point. When he talks with Aiko in his dream (chapter 145), he says something along the lines of wishing he could just disappear from everyone’s memories, but even that wish isn’t granted.

(...)

Asano: Right to the very end, I wasn’t sure how to go about doing the last chapter. Among the possibilities I’d considered, I’d thought up an ending in which Punpun dies.

–How?

Asano: Satchan’s child falls off a train station platform, Punpun goes down to save him, dies instead. It’s a very clean way to end. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to end on such a clean note.

–What do you mean, “clean”?

Asano: It’s too clear-cut an ending for the story. It wraps it all up a little too well. Living is harder than dying, see, so I thought this was the most painful, worst possible ending for Punpun, and that’s why in the end I went with this final chapter.

–The worst ending is the truest ending for this manga, you’re saying.

Asano: Yes. But there are also some people out there who say it was a happy ending. It’s fiction, after all, so I’m all for people making of it what they will. It’d actually be pretty boring if everyone had the same opinion of it. The way people were so divided on the final chapter was exactly what made reading their opinions interesting for me.

Source: https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/

So well, not only did I finish it, I'd say I've even read a bit more than you, heh.

About Aku no Hana, either Kasuga got his closure and freedom from Nakamura is not clear. The ending is left pretty open at that. If we are going to analyse the lives and works of Rimbaud and Baudelaire, I'd say he didn't.

And still, the fact that both manga features a whining teenager, which you say to hate, still stands. Even if in your eyes they did come to terms with themselves in the end, it took a loooooong way for that, and so it's weird that you endured through them, but gave up early with 3-gatsu without seeing his development to the end. It sounds more like bias than anything else.

LunaUri said:

No, it isn't on the eye of the beholder. You said Rei made fun of the guy, but in the scene there's absolutely NOTHING that gives the impression he was making fun of him, unless you completely misunderstood the whole sequence. There was no way that scene could have been wrongly interpreted.

But yeah, you having not liked the way Shaft did it is, I'll give it that.

LunaUri said:

She...she literally leaps into his bedroom through the window in the dead of the night and pins him to the bead, in a VERY threatening way. There's even a scene with his pajama unbottoned, which I don't remember well but I figure it's a kind of flashback. Really, what more do you need?

There has been a whole lot of discussion about that, and most of the people I've talked with about the anime seems to be aware of that, and thinks that she did assaulted him. If everyone else managed to grasp it and you didn't, I'd say you just didn't take the hint.

1. Yes, I am biased. I hate 3-Gatsu no Lion. Artsy doesn’t mean deep or developed. The historical/authorial context of Les Fleurs du Mal doesn’t mean that Kasuga wasn’t able to find peace. What about his budding relationship with Aya? I don’t mind teenage whining as long as there’s a point & it’s not romanticized.
2. You say I misunderstood the scene, but if it were truly done in a way that was “good,” there wouldn’t be a misunderstanding. The way Rei talked to that man came across to me as very condescending & the series potrayed him as a cartoonish oaf rather than human being.
3. The anime didn’t clarify whether it was consensual or not because Rei seemed to care deeply for Kyouko & at the same despise her. It could have been a Stockholmed relationship, consent out of emotional vulnerability, etc. If the series never has a defining instance of what that scene was, it just leaves the characterization & psychology of both characters ambiguous & leaves viewers scratching their heads.
JuneNephthysOct 22, 2018 7:52 PM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 8:18 PM

Aug 2013
LunaUri said:
The historical/authorial context of Les Fleurs du Mal doesn’t mean that Kasuga wasn’t able to find peace. What about his budding relationship with Aya? I don’t mind teenage whining as long as there’s a point & it’s not romanticized.

No, it does. The WHOLE manga was created as an allegory for what both Baudelaire and Rimbaud represent, so it means that, in the least, the ending was an ambiguous one. Considering all the imagery of the end, there's nothing to say conclusively that he "found his peace".
His budding relationship might just mean he accepted living as a normal person, even if deep down he still did not felt free of Nakamura's influence. Just like Punpun continued living surrounded by friends, but deep inside wasn't happy.
I don't think you're coming from anywhere with that last sentence, but ok.

LunaUri said:
You say I misunderstood the scene, but if it were truly done in a way that was “good,” there wouldn’t be a misunderstanding.

...really? Even if you're literally the only person who managed to interpret the scene that way, it's the show's fault, and not your mistakenly interpretation?
Honestly, you're the one who sounds condescending now. But anyway, no sense delving into that.

LunaUri said:
The way Rei talked to that man came across to me as very condescending & the series potrayed him as a cartoonish oaf rather than human being.

Now you're contradicting yourself. First you say Rei does that in his head, now you say he talks directly to him — which is it?

And how could you think Rei came off as condescending? He doesn't even say anything out of the ordinary to the man. All he does is point out his mistakes in the match (which is, you know, what players do after tha match?) and after that he ran after the guy to give him his bag. And then the monologues go. Just where was he being condescending? Your criticism still doesn't make any sense.

LunaUri said:
3. The anime didn’t clarify whether it was consensual or not because Rei seemed to care deeply for Kyouko & at the same despise her. It could have been a Stockholmed relationship, consent out of emtionally vulnerability, etc.

Which still makes it wrong, maybe even worse, and your argument a circular one.

LunaUri said:
If the series never has a defining instance of what that scene was, it just leaves the characterization & psychology of both characters ambiguous & leaves viewers scratching their heads.

I never saw anyone else scratching their heads about that. It's just you, honestly. But I guess there's no sense delving into that as well.
Oct 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Nov 2017
Death Note I really don't like the series although it is highly praised anime series. There are few times that I like but as a whole I don't like. Specially the ending apart from some episodes really being interesting but the ending was plain and predictable they could have done something better than this.
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Oct 11, 2018 8:24 PM

Jan 2016
meatbun_ said:
LunaUri said:
The historical/authorial context of Les Fleurs du Mal doesn’t mean that Kasuga wasn’t able to find peace. What about his budding relationship with Aya? I don’t mind teenage whining as long as there’s a point & it’s not romanticized.

No, it does. The WHOLE manga was created as an allegory for what both Baudelaire and Rimbaud represent, so it means that, in the least, the ending was an ambiguous one. Considering all the imagery of the end, there's nothing to say conclusively that he "found his peace".
His budding relationship might just mean he accepted living as a normal person, even if deep down he still did not felt free of Nakamura's influence. Just like Punpun continued living surrounded by friends, but deep inside wasn't happy.
I don't think you're coming from anywhere with that last sentence, but ok.

LunaUri said:
You say I misunderstood the scene, but if it were truly done in a way that was “good,” there wouldn’t be a misunderstanding.

...really? Even if you're literally the only person who managed to interpret the scene that way, it's the show's fault, and not your mistakenly interpretation?
Honestly, you're the one who sounds condescending now. But anyway, no sense delving into that.

LunaUri said:
The way Rei talked to that man came across to me as very condescending & the series potrayed him as a cartoonish oaf rather than human being.

Now you're contradicting yourself. First you say Rei does that in his head, now you say he talks directly to him — which is it?

And how could you think Rei came off as condescending? He doesn't even say anything out of the ordinary to the man. All he does is point out his mistakes in the match (which is, you know, what players do after tha match?) and after that he ran after the guy to give him his bag. And then the monologues go. Just where was he being condescending? Your criticism still doesn't make any sense.

LunaUri said:
3. The anime didn’t clarify whether it was consensual or not because Rei seemed to care deeply for Kyouko & at the same despise her. It could have been a Stockholmed relationship, consent out of emotional vulnerability, etc.

Which still makes it wrong, maybe even worse, and your argument a circular one.

LunaUri said:
If the series never has a defining instance of what that scene was, it just leaves the characterization & psychology of both characters ambiguous & leaves viewers scratching their heads.

I never saw anyone else scratching their heads about that. It's just you, honestly. But I guess there's no sense delving into that as well.

There’s no point in arguing if you just say that it’s my flawed perception. I know that I’m not the only one, I’ve talked to people with similar & identical complaints. I never said that Stockholming was right, I would have liked to know what angle the series was coming from with that relationship, but I refuse to debate with someone who won’t treat my ideas or perspective with respect.
JuneNephthysOct 22, 2018 7:51 PM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Oct 11, 2018 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
LunaUri said:

There’s no point in arguing if you just say that it’s my flawed perception. I know that I’m not the only one, I’ve talked to people with similar & identical complaints. I never said that Stockholming was right, I would have liked to know what angle the series was coming from with that relationship, but I refuse to debate with someone who won’t treat my ideas or perspective with respect.

I made five arguments. Just two of them were ascerting what I believe was your misconceptions regarding the scenes — and I didn't delve into it, exactly because I know there was no point. In the other three, I thoroughly made my point into why I believe you're wrong, but still, you chose to ignore those three because of the two other.

Actually, you've been ignoring many of my points for a while now, like the entire thing about Punpun, which speaks a lot of the "respect" you ask for, but doesn't seem the least worried about reciprocating it.

There are more honourable ways to say you're running away or just tired from the discussion, you know.
Satyr_iconOct 11, 2018 9:36 PM
Oct 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Dec 2011
-Yuri on Ice has some redeeming qualities, but overall, it was wasted potential. It's neither sports or romance, which is probably its biggest flaw. It had a vision but didn't execute it well enough to make either genre convincing. The characters aren't developed well enough and the animation was incredibly inconsistent. I usually wouldn't have a problem with something animation related unless it looked like it came straight out of Sailor Moon Crystal. The series focused so heavily on these scenes and the importance of them, that when they happened, it was just laughable, and the time spent on them could have been put elsewhere.

-Madoka's only redeeming factor is the ost. The groundhog day loop trope is always interesting as a concept, but when Higurashi already exists, the comparison only highlights how poorly developed the cast is -especially- when the shock value only relies on little girls fighting each other hunger-games-style *gasp* how original & innovative

-In Detective Conan, we follow someone who merely stumbled onto the plot; the real protagonist is someone else. This originally created a great build up to the series and introduced amazing characters that we otherwise wouldn't have met, but now the whole series suffers from detracting from main plot too often. The drama from the main romance isn't exciting anymore either, just repetitive. The first 500 or so episodes could have been condensed down to, like, 80.

-One Outs. A character who wins all the time because they have no inner or outer conflict isn't as interesting to watch as many seem to think.

-Half of the enjoyment and positive reception for BNHA goes to the efforts of Studio Bones. The animation is what elevates it from other shounen.

-The stories presented in Kanon were more interesting than Clannad's.
Oct 11, 2018 10:32 PM

Jun 2015
-Share and discuss your unpopular perspectives on highly-acclaimed anime series
-

I just did!

and someone called me a ... positiveboy

im scared of mal now
Oct 11, 2018 11:26 PM

Aug 2015
While FMA:B is a good show, it doesn't deserve #1 best show imo.
Oct 12, 2018 12:29 AM

Oct 2013
Chiibi said:
ArrRti said:

The amount of people who think Sword Art Online is complete trash is too damn high. Learn to distinguish between a very good,good, average, bad and abysmal show because clearly, those people can't.

THIS.

@Ryu1908: yes, I also liked AB's ending. Didn't really think there were holes in the plot. Though Jun Maeda is one of my faves so I could be a little bias. lol I don't care that he prefers to story-tell through emotion instead of logic; that's actually one of my favorite things about his style.

@dadnaya: I love MiA but I can respect that opinion. It's absolutely f*cked up and the later chapters of the manga get even worse, yes, the child suffering gets worse. Stay away from it. xD Ya won't like season 2 any better.

I appreciate the warning, haha.

I was on fence on watching the S2 and the movie, I thought maybe in the end it'll just end up in the endless PTW, but... Maybe I'll just skip altogether, no reason to watch something I won't like
Oct 12, 2018 12:51 AM

Mar 2018
LunaUri said:
huntress1013 said:

Okay. No. Sorry. Don't get it. Looks like we watched completely different shows. First of all to address your claim that the show contains an "excess of monologues". Not every show has to contain action and I actually hate shows that feature action to the detriment of the story. "3-Gatsu No Lion" is mainly a quiet drama and Slice of Life show so of course there will be a lot of conversations and also wonderful monologues. I especially enjoy the inner monologues from Rei when he tries to explain how he feels and also the imagery that is used (e.g. him drowning in water, a cold wind blowing....). Pretentious? If you said that about some works by Haruka Murakami then I would have said "Yeah, okay. You are right. That stuff is sometimes pretentious." or how about Richard Dawkins? Very pretentious but "3-Gatsu"? Not really. Also self-pity? Really? Rei doesn't pity himself. Life is what it is. He was bullied at school, his parents and sister died, he became part of a family where only his foster mother was truly kind. Rei was emotionally (and maybe also physically) abused by his sister (and to some extent also by his brother). He had no friends and Shogi is all he has but he doesn't pity himself. Actually, there isn't a single character that shows any kind of self-pity. Neither Rei, Harunobu, Shimada and especially none of the sisters show any kind of self-pity. Quite the opposite. The sisters smile away the pain and tears!

Really. Are you sure you watched "3-Gatsu"

My issue was not with other character pitying themselves, but Rei dramatizing his own issues & not being able to appreciate what he has. As someone who went though similar issues, I was disgusted by 3-Gatsu’s representation of trauma.

I am not going to re-iterate what some people have already said but you really have no grasp of how depression works for a good portion of the people (see comments above). I am not seeing any kind of dramatisation. He simply and for me plainly states that there are moments in his life where he simply cannot cope any more and do tell - what DOES he have that he doesn't appreciate because I am not seeing it? His mastery in Shogi? He knows that he is pretty good in it but that is because Shogi was the only thing he could do to cope with his life situation. The sisters? He really treasures them and compares their home like a warm stove on a cold winter evening. Extremely comforting and one he hates to leave for his own cold home. Shimada? He went with Shimada when he saw how ill the poor man was and stood by his side. There is absolutely nothing ungrateful about Rei and he does appreciate what he has but sometimes it is really hard to appreciate it when the world seems on the verge of swallowing you whole.
Oct 12, 2018 3:56 AM

Jul 2017
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai: Despite the show being really good for me, I find a lot of 'chuunibyou' jokes tend to be a bit annoying. There were some that were genuinely funny but a lot of them made me annoyed instead.

Nagi no Asukara: I love this anime to death! But I kinda wish that Hikari & Manaka weren't the main focus of the anime because I find their arc boring and the fact that the creators continue to drag it, annoyed me a lot. Hikari got extra points for character development later in the story but Manaka continues to leave me with mixed feelings.

Is 'Kimi no Na wa better than Koe no Katachi' considered an unpopular opinion?
Mikura39Oct 12, 2018 4:01 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Oct 12, 2018 4:45 AM

Mar 2018
I liked Death Note and despite giving it a 10, I felt like the ending failed to deliver the premise of the first half of the show, and to be honest I found it extremely underwhelming. Was kinda bummed and disappointed. Only the first half of the episodes were really good until that little f*cker showed up.
Oct 12, 2018 5:23 AM

Apr 2016

OT: Toradora is a crap show. Taiga is one of the worst characters and tsunderes I've ever seen. Ami would've been the obvious choice. Not the little short tempered biyach.
Oct 12, 2018 6:57 AM

Sep 2017
Omkar_Nagwade said:

OT: Toradora is a crap show. Taiga is one of the worst characters and tsunderes I've ever seen. Ami would've been the obvious choice. Not the little short tempered biyach.

It's widely considered as a superficial action thriller by old anime fans. I'm an old anime fan myself tho.
Oct 12, 2018 6:59 AM

Sep 2017
FoeToeMoe said:
CHC said:
3) Serial Experiments Lain is good because of its style alone. Thematically it is a mix bag of random quasi-philosophical ideas or cliches about personal identity. The show has never asked any coherent philosophical question.

I don't see your point... btw I'm not an American
Oct 12, 2018 7:16 AM

May 2018
CHC said:
FoeToeMoe said:

I don't see your point... btw I'm not an American

Me neither, all the picture does is telling me that the author is a smart-ass and an idiot at the same time. Starts with "The won't understand this. I don't want them to understands this." and ends with "I want American people to react to this work." Douche alert.
Oct 12, 2018 7:28 AM

Sep 2017
Deknijff said:
CHC said:
I think people have different understanding on what's dark.
Yeah I know
thats why I dont use it a lot of the time because personally dont find anything dark but its easy to use as buzzword in context of the conversation of these kinds of shows
CHC said:
Future Diary wasn't a bit dark for me. It's exciting and entertainment but it in no way reminds you how you are a failure and your life is meaningless, which Madoka does.
I just wanted to highlight this because everything beneath on what you consider dark can be easily said about Future Diary too based on whats in the show and much more than Madoka too
CHC said:
For me, being "dark" means being ruthlessly honest about the darkest truth we can find within ourselves. Recognising madness within oneself is way more emotionally heavy than watching a psycho killing others on screen. In the latter situation you are never really threaten, while in the former situation when you are threaten by the truth you may find in yourself, something that you always subconsciously avoid to dwell on in daily life: your insecurity about people who you love may abandon you, your anxiety of losing your job and consequently social respect, your sense of guilt over having hurt someone you care, your doubt about whether anything you do would really matter at the end, whether life is utterly meaningless, etc. That's why the works of literary masters like Dostoevsky, Kafka, Tolstoy are viewed as deep and dark, and the question they asked has caused so many sleepless nights for generation. A kid is kept sleepless by monsters, spirits, gore and blood; an adult by life itself.
You seem to have completely forgotten everything that caused Yuno to have become the way she is and the same for the other characters and only remember Yuno killing people

I don't think Yuno's character is developed convincingly enough for me to identify myself with her in any way. And resorting to talking to dead bodies or stalking an average-looking classmate as a psychological defence mechanism isn't something I can relate to personally, nor the presentation of her inner life strong enough to convey any deep insight into the inner life of mentally ill people. She simply looks like what an average healthy person would imagine a crazy serial killer should look like. Make your character suffer a lot and then go crazy isn't dark. If that's dark, then Magical Girl Site would be the darkest show ever.
Oct 12, 2018 7:32 AM

Sep 2017
Apoc_Revolution said:
CHC said:

It's not a romance show. Kaori wasn't there because she wanted to date Kousei. She wanted to help Kousei overcoming his trauma and be able to perform music with him. The show was a journey of Kousei's self-overcoming.

I already know that, I never said it was a romance show. It doesn't change the fact that the show pretends to be romantic on the surface and that it has the romance tag.

How did it "pretend" to be romantic? Did the producer of the show managed MAL and added the romance tag?
It's not the show's fault for not being exactly the thing you expect it to be.
Oct 12, 2018 8:02 AM

Sep 2017
meatbun_ said:

@CHC
GitS: Yup, I gotta say I love the movie as I'm a suker for cyberpunk, but I was surprised how plain it was philosophically upon watching it again a while ago. It's also hard taking such a psychological approach when your characters are so apathetic.

3-gatsu: Because I thought both were pretty consistent. I had mixed feelings about Hina's arc in the second season (thought it was a wee too over the top) and I didn't like the first couple episodes of the first (which I'm glad I endured).
If there's something that makes me split about this, though, is the match between Shimada and Tanagihara, which was easily one of the most fantastic things I've seen on the medium.

Koi Wa: Yeah, at first I didn't think much of it, it was a pretty and fun show, but when those last couple episodes it became something else. I guess a lot of people were put off by the age gap "romance" (or by the lack of it, I've seen too).

GitS: yeah, and to some extent I think it's a common problem for cop shows. The main characters who play cops for the most time are reactive to external events rather than being in an active position of making their own non-institutionally bounded decision. That's why cop shows are usually heavily plot-driven and have more interesting antagonists than protagonists. I see the similar problem occurs in Pyscho-Pass to a lesser degree too.

3-gatsu: I liked Hina's arc. It's heavily emotional but I think it has also shown great restraint in not demonising any one at the end. Rei's and Hina's dynamic in that arc was also quite touching to me. I also liked the fact that it didn't force it way through a perfect reconciliation at the end.

Koi wa: yes, I didn't expect it to have handled everything in such a mature manner. I also like how they got out of the low point of their life. Too often in anime you get characters shouting "don't give up!" at people who feel lost.
Oct 12, 2018 8:11 AM

Oct 2013
CHC said:
Deknijff said:
Yeah I know
thats why I dont use it a lot of the time because personally dont find anything dark but its easy to use as buzzword in context of the conversation of these kinds of shows
I just wanted to highlight this because everything beneath on what you consider dark can be easily said about Future Diary too based on whats in the show and much more than Madoka too
You seem to have completely forgotten everything that caused Yuno to have become the way she is and the same for the other characters and only remember Yuno killing people
I don't think Yuno's character is developed convincingly enough for me to identify myself with her in any way. And resorting to talking to dead bodies or stalking an average-looking classmate as a psychological defence mechanism isn't something I can relate to personally, nor the presentation of her inner life strong enough to convey any deep insight into the inner life of mentally ill people. She simply looks like what an average healthy person would imagine a crazy serial killer should look like. Make your character suffer a lot and then go crazy isn't dark. If that's dark, then Magical Girl Site would be the darkest show ever.
Well if you say so CHC but honestly based off what you say your definition of dark is and to then say you dont consider Future Diary dark feels real inconsistent
Oct 12, 2018 8:16 AM

Jul 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
FmaB the two Mcs are uninteresting characters and the final fight is boring.
even though I realy like FMAB I agree with you. fortunately, they're not obnoxious and/or dumb unlike a few like subaru, naruto(for me at least, to some lvl), black clover MC, fuuka's MC, island's MC. well it's one lvl better than the "worst' MCs.
huntress1013 said:

Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the storytelling it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.
but the story would have never been as popular and influencial if it was """"""just""""" a TV show. well, they could have made a TV show undependently of the movie.
Oct 12, 2018 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
Charlotte and Chaos;Head were both decent anime in spite of their shortcomings that made so many people dislike them.
Oct 12, 2018 8:42 AM

Feb 2018
Zehennagel said:
xShinigami3125 said:
FmaB the two Mcs are uninteresting characters and the final fight is boring.
even though I realy like FMAB I agree with you. fortunately, they're not obnoxious and/or dumb unlike a few like subaru, naruto(for me at least, to some lvl), black clover MC, fuuka's MC, island's MC. well it's one lvl better than the "worst' MCs.
huntress1013 said:

Akira: Yes the animation is seriously quite something but when it comes to the storytelling it falls really short of its mark compared to the manga but then again that was expected. Akira should have been an anime show.
but the story would have never been as popular and influencial if it was """"""just""""" a TV show. well, they could have made a TV show undependently of the movie.

For me at least they were more like a tool to observe the story through.
Oct 12, 2018 9:52 AM

Nov 2008
NMatt94 said:
Charlotte and Chaos;Head were both decent anime in spite of their shortcomings that made so many people dislike them.

i F*CKING ADORE Charlotte............and so does Japan. So the West is wrong. xD

Oct 12, 2018 10:02 AM
Jul 2018
FMAB: A Flawless anime, has one of the best plot twists ever, characters are fine but the plot itself is really astonishing and unique.

Kimi no nawa : Animation is top tier, the story is ridiculous and trash. Characters are really good. The OSTs and songs in the movie were so painful to listen to.

Steins Gate : Really well-written plot. Animation is good. Characters are so bad and generic, they don't fit the anime at all, unnecessary comedy and the OSTs are ... Wait, OSTS? Error 404 Not found.

Attack on Titan : Best action anime, this anime is 100% unique and has it's own atmosphere, only thing I dislike is that the MC acts so immature in sometimes.

Code geass : Perfect Ending, the animation and drawing are funny and bad. The OSTs are good. The plot is ... Top-tier trash ...

OPM : Top-tier Animation quality and OSTs. Characters are interesting. Plot is 0. Sometimes it feel like so generic and the comedy isn't my type at all.

Oct 12, 2018 11:58 AM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:

I don't know if you are talking about the original hxh (because I haven't seen it) or 2011, but if you are talking about the 2011 version, it is the best part without a doubt, it is not that it doesn't make any sense, it is just that it went completely over your head.
I'm sorry but that arc couldn't go over any head, everything was narrated for you. So much so that a 5 year old could understand it, which is quite offensive. The other arcs didn't suffer nearly as bad with this problem, they were great and didn't drag me across shards of glass to understand what i'm already looking at.

The Queen MacGuffin was a terrible excuse to spawn a world level conflict, how to power creep yourself into a corner 101. Am i supposed to care about any arc previously or other compelling villains when from day 1 of birth this guy trumps literally the entire series? I can't invest myself in something like that. He doesn't even get to do anything with his life, he only lives for 5 weeks and it's stretched out to over 60 episodes. HxH does villains wonderfully, which is why i hated, in my eyes, all this wasted potential. All those 'amazing' plot lines, narrative development, villain dynamics, were all wasted on Meruem. I can only imagine what those would have been like on someone i can get invested into.

The Chimera arc is the best part to you because that's your subjective takeaway from it, but can you even think about it outside of yourself? Can you understand that people might have issues with things that you care nothing about? These are just the 2 most glaring issues i had with that arc.

I am not sure that you understood the point of Meruem, and why they are Chimera ants. If you can show me that you understand that (and not but saying "it is plain as a day"), then, and only then will I agree with you that it's a matter of POV.

It just seems to me that you are watching it linearly, and then shouting that it is trash without even understanding the message behind it all.
Oct 12, 2018 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Lunilah said:
I'm sorry but that arc couldn't go over any head, everything was narrated for you. So much so that a 5 year old could understand it, which is quite offensive. The other arcs didn't suffer nearly as bad with this problem, they were great and didn't drag me across shards of glass to understand what i'm already looking at.

The Queen MacGuffin was a terrible excuse to spawn a world level conflict, how to power creep yourself into a corner 101. Am i supposed to care about any arc previously or other compelling villains when from day 1 of birth this guy trumps literally the entire series? I can't invest myself in something like that. He doesn't even get to do anything with his life, he only lives for 5 weeks and it's stretched out to over 60 episodes. HxH does villains wonderfully, which is why i hated, in my eyes, all this wasted potential. All those 'amazing' plot lines, narrative development, villain dynamics, were all wasted on Meruem. I can only imagine what those would have been like on someone i can get invested into.

The Chimera arc is the best part to you because that's your subjective takeaway from it, but can you even think about it outside of yourself? Can you understand that people might have issues with things that you care nothing about? These are just the 2 most glaring issues i had with that arc.

I am not sure that you understood the point of Meruem, and why they are Chimera ants. If you can show me that you understand that (and not but saying "it is plain as a day"), then, and only then will I agree with you that it's a matter of POV.

It just seems to me that you are watching it linearly, and then shouting that it is trash without even understanding the message behind it all.
Just because something has a message, doesn't mean it's automatically good.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 12, 2018 12:22 PM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:

Just because something has a message, doesn't mean it's automatically good.

I cannot remember a lot of shows that do something as well as Chimera arc does it.

We do have a low affinity, it is obvious we appreciate different things though, but you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am to mine.

I would just say that while you say he does nothing with his life, I would say that he has a character development that 95% (random hyperbolic percent to make a point) of characters in anime don't get
A_Haiku_UnlooseOct 12, 2018 12:27 PM
Oct 12, 2018 12:26 PM

Jun 2012
Urusei Yatsura - Lum is considered ultimate waifu by many, but personally, i cant stand her, she is annoying, vindictive 99% of time, Ten is annoying brat too, rest of characters are great, but these two ruin anime.
Oct 12, 2018 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
FoeToeMoe said:

You do know the director, Ryūtarō Nakamura himself, admitted they failed at doing this, because the american audience of the show reacted similarly and reached similar conclusions to the japanese, right?

So yeah, the picture didn't really do any talking lol and I like SEL.
Oct 12, 2018 12:34 PM

Oct 2014
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
I am not sure what was it about it that bugged you so, but you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am to mine.
I already explained where and the 2 main reasons why the anime lost me. I was on board for most of the anime up to that point, which is why i only single out that arc. I gave it a 6 because i have to judge the anime as a whole, that arc alone is over a 3rd of the entire series.

It comes down to a suspension of disbelief, and what we allow ourselves to be okay with. If you break on the premise from the start or down the road, cracks you would normally ignore and walk over become pot holes that must be actively avoided. They become obstacles for your suspension of disbelief.

Edit:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
I would just say that while you say he does nothing with his life, I would say that he has a character development that 95% (random hyperbolic percent to make a point) of characters in anime don't get
I already acknowledged his character development and HxH's general treatment of villains in general.
Lunilah said:
HxH does villains wonderfully, which is why i hated, in my eyes, all this wasted potential. All those 'amazing' plot lines, narrative development, villain dynamics, were all wasted on Meruem. I can only imagine what those would have been like on someone i can get invested into.
LunilahOct 12, 2018 12:37 PM

Oct 12, 2018 12:41 PM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
I am not sure what was it about it that bugged you so, but you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am to mine.
I already explained where and the 2 main reasons why the anime lost me. I was on board for most of the anime up to that point, which is why i only single out that arc. I gave it a 6 because i have to judge the anime as a whole, that arc alone is over a 3rd of the entire series.

It comes down to a suspension of disbelief, and what we allow ourselves to be okay with. If you break on the premise from the start or down the road, cracks you would normally ignore and walk over become pot holes that must be actively avoided. They become obstacles for your suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, I deleted that part about bugging, because I remembered what you said, but added another part to that message:

I agree with you that the plot starts out of the blue, and I wasn't too happy about it too, you are right about the Queen appearing out of nowhere, but if you accept that start the way it is, the rest of the arc has an amazing point to it, and it all becomes very much worth it for the points it makes, I don't really get what plot holes you are talking about tbh.

The point of the arc wasn't in the spectacular fights, it was the psychology behind a couple of characters (mainly Gon and Meruem, and even the royal guard to an extent).
Oct 12, 2018 12:43 PM

Oct 2014
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
I don't really get what plot holes you are talking about tbh.
Pot holes, not plot. You can walk over a crack, you can't walk over a pot hole.

Oct 12, 2018 12:47 PM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
I don't really get what plot holes you are talking about tbh.

Your allegory is quite nice and artistic, that I have to admit, but I still don't know which actual parts of the arc you are referring to when you just state it like that.
Oct 12, 2018 12:58 PM

Oct 2014
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Lunilah said:

Your allegory is quite nice and artistic, that I have to admit, but I still don't know which actual parts of the arc you are referring to when you just state it like that.
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Lunilah said:

Simply put:
Talking to the audience far longer than needed, to the point where it feels like talking down to.
Better ways that still aren't rehashed ideas to create a powerful villain (hindsight is 20/20).

Things like this can cheapen moments that are supposed to be meaningful. Like when Gon freaks out over losing the closest link to finding his father, despite only knowing him for a couple weeks, fine. He ends up living anyways, fine. But then Gon randomly bumping into his dad? Sure as hell pulled the pin on that grenade for me.

Oct 12, 2018 1:01 PM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:

A_Haiku_Unloose said:

Simply put:
Talking to the audience far longer than needed, to the point where it feels like talking down to.
Better ways that still aren't rehashed ideas to create a powerful villain (hindsight is 20/20).

Things like this can cheapen moments that are supposed to be meaningful. Like when Gon freaks out over losing the closest link to finding his father, despite only knowing him for a couple weeks, fine. He ends up living anyways, fine. But then Gon randomly bumping into his dad? Sure as hell pulled the pin on that grenade for me.

Gon meeting his Dad isn't a part of the Chimera arc, which we are discussing, so I don't really see your point there.
Oct 12, 2018 1:05 PM

Oct 2014
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Lunilah said:
Simply put:

Gon meeting his Dad isn't a part of the Chimera arc, which we are discussing, so I don't really see your point there.
I wasn't on board with the subplot of Gon freaking out, i was just fine with it. I didn't feel it was properly motivated because i wasn't with the premise in the first place, and this anime has been talking down to me with every fight scene and new discovery. I had already explained since it's 1 long anime it has to be rated as such. Gon meeting his dad like that is salt in the wound, beating a dead horse, finding dog shit in a pot hole you fell in.

Oct 12, 2018 4:26 PM

Nov 2008
kamil88 said:
Urusei Yatsura - Lum is considered ultimate waifu by many, but personally, i cant stand her, she is annoying, vindictive 99% of time, Ten is annoying brat too, rest of characters are great, but these two ruin anime.

Yeah, you were able to watch a raw episode on an airline to Japan so I put it on and it was..........reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally dumb. xD

Like so so dumb. So very dumb. It wasn't the first episode either....but that didn't stop it from being dumb.

Inuyasha is still Rumiko's best; anyone can fight me bruh :'D

Oct 12, 2018 6:39 PM

Mar 2014
Tokyo Ghoul: Jacques Derrida's post structuralism mixed with teenage angst makes not a good anime... or manga... or anything really.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Oct 12, 2018 7:09 PM

Nov 2015
HopefulNihilist said:
1) Re: Zero:

-Sets up no direction to where the plot is supposed to go.
-The author confuses being irrational with being completely stupid, which is why Subaru is retarded.
-The show attempts to "subvert" isekai cliches, while indulging itself in them (ie surrounding the mc with cute girls).
-Almost no backstory is given to the MC.

2) Attack On Titan: tries so hard to be intense by having constant big threats and having the characters scream every damn episode, ironically, makes the show boring. Also, none of the characters who die are remotely interesting.

3) Garden of Sinners: while I enjoy this series, it's up-it's-ass with how hard it tries to be "philosophical", causing the dialogue to come off as forced and unnatural. Not helping are the boring characters that have 0 charisma/charm.

4) Bakemonogatari: like Garden of Sinners, it's up its ass, but borderline masterbates to how much it force-feeds "complex" dialogue, resulting in characters who don't talk realistically in any way at all. Still, it's a fun show.

I agree with you and Glassreflection on this statement
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Oct 12, 2018 7:11 PM

Nov 2015
Sword Art Online: I loved it.
Re-Zero: Trashy and Underveloped
Pokemon: Original Series Boring But it gets better after Dawn's Era
Hyouka: Has a great English Dub
One Piece: Medicare Garbage
Darling In The Franxx: I like the episodes people hate
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Oct 12, 2018 7:15 PM

Aug 2018
Cowboy Bebop: Anime is NOT cool. It's just not. Especially when it tries this hard to be cool. No matter how many times Spike lights a cigarette, leans on things or walks around with his hands in his pockets, he will never be cool.
Oct 12, 2018 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
Sawilagar said:
Tokyo Ghoul: Jacques Derrida's post structuralism mixed with teenage angst makes not a good anime... or manga... or anything really.

How did I forget to list Tokyo Ghoul? But yeah, Tokyo Ghoul is the edgiest show I have ever seen.
Oct 12, 2018 7:38 PM

Oct 2017
FMAB is boring and Edward is a shitty and annoying mc
Oct 13, 2018 6:38 AM

Sep 2017
Deknijff said:
CHC said:
Well if you say so CHC but honestly based off what you say your definition of dark is and to then say you dont consider Future Diary dark feels real inconsistent

What I'm saying is Yuno's characterisation is not convincing and well-rounded enough for me to imagine myself going through the kind of dark emotion as she supposedly did. I could only watch her story from the perspective of an outsider, and her suffering never became my suffering. Then it's exactly what I said: I never feel threaten by Yuno's story. Her insanity doesn't reveal any sort of surpassed insanity inside my mind. Whereas in Sayaka's case, I can relate to her despair and self-loathing because her story and her character are full of relatable human weakness that I can relate to. She loathed her weakness, her mistakes and her selfish desire. Every bit of her dark emotion were directed against herself, and when we emotionally identify ourselves with her, we are being directed to face the parts of ourselves we hate the most. The story of Sayaka's self-loathing is threatening to us because her self-loathing can inflict on us. I would be very surprised if Yuno's insanity has inflicted anyone.
Oct 13, 2018 6:57 AM

Aug 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is quite good and interesting, but the rushed early episodes, among other things, detract from the whole package.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is pretty bad. It looks good, of course.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» sort your favorite characters from most to least favorite number in MAL

Kawaii_Otaku04 - Dec 31, 2021

12 by vegeta8639 »»
9 minutes ago

» Have you ever watched raw anime/movie because you couldn't wait for its Eng Sub/Dub? Was it enjoyable to do that? :)

Rinrinka - Jun 21

23 by ColourWheel »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you watch a gender swapped Revolutionary Girl Utena?

RedTea33 - 5 hours ago

7 by SignsOfSuicide »»
27 minutes ago

» Anime carried by Animation ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - Yesterday

78 by APolygons2 »»
31 minutes ago

» What do you love most about your waifu or husbando ?

tchitchouan - Jun 20

28 by Ricchan__ »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.