Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 13, 2016 10:22 AM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:
That's the thing though. They make fun of trashy industry tropes but still rely on them. I mean look at the character designs (they could've gone with more muted colors like Hyouka) and older brother. The source is even a lightnovel.
There's nothing wrong with the character designs. That's art. And it's a nice icing to the cake. Not like other shows that use moe art to hide bad writing. And there's nothing wrong about onii san. What's wrong is that unoriginal low quality LNs get produced and got adaptations that don't sell well that they have to depend on big seiyuu names and good art to sell. That's not a good business model. Just listen to the cold seiyuu on the event what she praises. And don't generalize and lump all LNs. There are nicely written LNs out there. It's just that it's dominated by copy paste works. This anime is already planned before the LN got released so this anime is a different case. Kimi no na wa is an LN in a sense.

I can't see this cynicism as being wholly honest like that. It just comes off as pretentious in a way.
no. it may if the seiyuu idol group "girlish number" really exists. And I think it's actually too honest it even shoots itself

Also drawing the LN author as some stereotypical fat dude kind of pissed me off. Those guys work pretty hard. In fact, most VN writers have gone down the road of LN writers because the medium of storytelling alone is getting them attention. Like you don't need a bunch of pictures, voice acting and programming experience to get your story out there. Calling them nonames that want to have a part in the industry is disgusting since they're usually churning out good content. You also need a degree of social competence to deal with editors and get the name of your book out there, so I don't even think LN authors are stuttering blumbering idiots who can't even talk to a seiyuu.
Heres the generalization again. Arguing using wrong assumptions.
Oct 13, 2016 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:
That's the thing though. They make fun of trashy industry tropes but still rely on them. I mean look at the character designs (they could've gone with more muted colors like Hyouka) and older brother. The source is even a lightnovel.
There's nothing wrong with the character designs. That's art. And it's a nice icing to the cake. Not like other shows that use moe art to hide bad writing. And there's nothing wrong about onii san. What's wrong is that unoriginal low quality LNs get produced and got adaptations that don't sell well that they have to depend on big seiyuu names and good art to sell. That's not a good business model. Just listen to the cold seiyuu on the event what she praises. And don't generalize and lump all LNs. There are nicely written LNs out there. It's just that it's dominated by copy paste works. This anime is already planned before the LN got released so this anime is a different case. Kimi no na wa is an LN in a sense.

I can't see this cynicism as being wholly honest like that. It just comes off as pretentious in a way.
no. it may if the seiyuu idol group "girlish number" really exists. And I think it's actually too honest it even shoots itself

Also drawing the LN author as some stereotypical fat dude kind of pissed me off. Those guys work pretty hard. In fact, most VN writers have gone down the road of LN writers because the medium of storytelling alone is getting them attention. Like you don't need a bunch of pictures, voice acting and programming experience to get your story out there. Calling them nonames that want to have a part in the industry is disgusting since they're usually churning out good content. You also need a degree of social competence to deal with editors and get the name of your book out there, so I don't even think LN authors are stuttering blumbering idiots who can't even talk to a seiyuu.

Oh I get that it's art, but you'd think that a show that's willing to call out the anime industry for it's bullshit wouldn't use that same bs to sell itself right?

The whole unoriginal low quality LNs getting produced and getting adaptations thing really did resonate with me though. Lots of them are pretty bad, and I do appreciate the show for coming at them.

Wait... I'm generalizing or they are?
Oct 13, 2016 11:22 AM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:
crx07 said:

Oh I get that it's art, but you'd think that a show that's willing to call out the anime industry for it's bullshit wouldn't use that same bs to sell itself right?

The whole unoriginal low quality LNs getting produced and getting adaptations thing really did resonate with me though. Lots of them are pretty bad, and I do appreciate the show for coming at them.

wrong assumptions again

This anime is pointing out that the industry is making unprofitable anime. Whether a Japanese likes the anime or not is irrelevant if it is not making money. It's not a good business model to rely on art and seiyuu popularity to sell. The story itself should sell by itself. It's fine to sell generic LNs since it's cheap to buy but it could be bad business to turn it into anime since anime production is so expensive and worse the blurays are expensive and they can't help to lower the price.
And this anime didn't criticize art and siscon. So why do you think this anime is hypocritical?
The only real issue here is that the show put LN writers in a bad light. But we don't know which ones. Watari Wataru? Makoto Shinkai? Tappei? Asterisk author? Just accept that the characters in this story are terrible people.
There's nothing wrong for being stereotyped as a fat man. So what's the problem? Moreover it seems that you assume that a fat man is a stereotype of an LN writer and this anime follows it. How do you know that you are right?
Moreover VN authors turning into LN writers is as irrelevant as Shinkai turning into an LN author.
You also need a degree of social competence to deal with editors and get the name of your book out there, so I don't even think LN authors are stuttering blumbering idiots who can't even talk to a seiyuu.
You assume here that the LN author in this episode is a stuttering blumbering idiot. Why do you say that? I sometimes speak like him to other people because I suck in making conversations and I can express myself better through writing. Does that mean I'm an idiot who can't speak to other people when it matters and it's really related to my passion?
Oct 13, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2012
I actually enjoyed that first episode, showed that the industry really is messed up.
Oct 13, 2016 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:

wrong assumptions again

This anime is pointing out that the industry is making unprofitable anime. Whether a Japanese likes the anime or not is irrelevant if it is not making money. It's not a good business model to rely on art and seiyuu popularity to sell. The story itself should sell by itself. It's fine to sell generic LNs since it's cheap to buy but it could be bad business to turn it into anime since anime production is so expensive and worse the blurays are expensive and they can't help to lower the price.
And this anime didn't criticize art and siscon. So why do you think this anime is hypocritical?
The only real issue here is that the show put LN writers in a bad light. But we don't know which ones. Watari Wataru? Makoto Shinkai? Tappei? Asterisk author? Just accept that the characters in this story are terrible people.
There's nothing wrong for being stereotyped as a fat man. So what's the problem? Moreover it seems that you assume that a fat man is a stereotype of an LN writer and this anime follows it. How do you know that you are right?
Moreover VN authors turning into LN writers is as irrelevant as Shinkai turning into an LN author.
You also need a degree of social competence to deal with editors and get the name of your book out there, so I don't even think LN authors are stuttering blumbering idiots who can't even talk to a seiyuu.
You assume here that the LN author in this episode is a stuttering blumbering idiot. Why do you say that? I sometimes speak like him to other people because I suck in making conversations and I can express myself better through writing. Does that mean I'm an idiot who can't speak to other people when it matters and it's really related to my passion?

Umm... not all anime can be successful though? Anime's been like this for forever where there are good projects and terribad ones.

I also don't think it's a good business model to rely on seiyuu popularity to sell, but all the extra work seiyuu do make them extra money. I don't like how it's practically "required" to be a seiyuu but previously, seiyuu made way less and had to hold multiple jobs.

I don't get what you mean by rely on art though.

Oh that LN writer man they drew is the stereotypical anime fan. Big glasses, wears anime merchandise, is unkempt and looks like a blubbering idiot.

I assume that about the LN author because that's what he is at first impression. He doesn't even speak for himself and him getting ragged on was obviously comic relief because he was meant to be portrayed that way.
TitanAnteusOct 13, 2016 11:54 AM
Oct 13, 2016 12:17 PM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:

Umm... not all anime can be successful though? Anime's been like this for forever where there are good projects and terribad ones.
I also don't think it's a good business model to rely on seiyuu popularity to sell, but all the extra work seiyuu do make them extra money. I don't like how it's practically "required" to be a seiyuu but previously, seiyuu made way less and had to hold multiple jobs.
Oh that fan man they drew is the stereotypical anime fan. Big glasses, wears anime merchandise, is unkempt and looks like a blubbering idiot.
I assume that about the LN author because that's what he is at first impression. He doesn't even speak for himself and him getting ragged on was obviously comic relief because he was meant to be portrayed that way.
Many anime are not successful because the producers don't know what source material should be adapted or what story should be accepted for animation because they themselves don't enjoy those things. If they do the KyoAni way where there are critics, failures will be minimized.
Popular seiyu doesn't need more jobs since they are financially stable. What about newbies who got 'robbed' for opportunities because the popular seiyuus always get them?
Do you know many generic LN authors themselves are avid anime fans? Their writings get inspiration from popular tropes and use them with creativity passable tto the editors. You get tsundere and then get cookie cutter overpowered MC with harem. I dunno where editors get them but I believe an anime fan submits work to editor via mail or by himself and then editor says it's good for unknown reasons without caring about the social competency of that fan. Probably they accept their work because it has the potential to produce good ideas for cool art.
Do the so called stereotypically drawn anime fan look like blubbering idiot? You say too much. You should have kept that for yourself. It didn't even crossed my mind. What i see is a socially awkward anime fan that happened to be an author that got badmouthed by Chitose and another girl. No more than that. Only that the characters (and you) are badmouthing how the LN author looks and acts.
crx07Oct 13, 2016 12:22 PM
Oct 13, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:

Oh that fan man they drew is the stereotypical anime fan. Big glasses, wears anime merchandise, is unkempt and looks like a blubbering idiot.
Many anime are not successful because the producers don't know what source material should be adapted or what story should be accepted for animation because they themselves don't enjoy those things. If they do the KyoAni way where there are critics, failures will be minimized.
Popular seiyu doesn't need more jobs since they are financially stable. What about newbies who got 'robbed' for opportunities because the popular seiyuus always get them?
Do you know many generic LN authors themselves are avid anime fans? Their writings get inspiration from popular tropes and use them with creativity passable tto the editors. You get tsundere and then get cookie cutter overpowered MC with harem. I dunno where editors get them but I believe an anime fan submits work to editor via mail or by himself and then editor says it's good for unknown reasons without caring about the social competency of that fan. Probably they accept their work because it has the potential to produce good ideas for cool art.
Do the so called stereotypically drawn anime fan look like blubbering idiot? You say too much. You should have kept that for yourself. It didn't even crossed my mind. What i see is a socially awkward anime fan that happened to be an author that got badmouthed by Chitose and another girl. No more than that. Only that the characters (and you) are badmouthing how the LN author looks and acts.

>Do the so called stereotypically drawn anime fan look like blubbering idiot?
Yes. Yes they do. Non lead characters that are anime fans usually look like that. The side characteres in Nogizaka Haruka, hayate no gotoku and Saekano show that at the very least. Did he not at least look a little familiar? It's because he's a stereotype.

All I'm saying is that anime that get adapted have always been weird. I mean back in the day Golden Boy got greenlighted you know? Also most adapted material are popular works in their field.

>Popular seiyuu doesn't need more jobs since they are financially stable. What about newbies who got 'robbed' for opportunities because the popular seiyuus always get them?
What I said was that old seiyuu didn't make much money but modern seiyuu do, even though they have more work shoved onto them. I didn't even bring up unpopular seiyuu.

> Do you know many generic LN authors themselves are avid anime fans? Their writings get inspiration from popular tropes and use them with creativity passable tto the editors. You get tsundere and then get cookie cutter overpowered MC with harem.
Yeah. Those exist. In the end, if they're not good they wont be popular though. In the end, it's the consumer's decision to decide what's popular.

Anime execs can't make any guarantees about what's popular and even if they try to go for safe adaptations of popular works they aren't guarenteed anything. How does it make sense to blame them for the failure there. Especially when so many hands touch the product including animators and musicians?

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the editors. I don't know exactly how it works since most of my information is second hand, but from manga like Bakuman and the author's personal column at the end of LN I can tell that writing fiction isn't as indirect as you're making it out to be.
Oct 13, 2016 12:44 PM
Oct 2010
lmao people going IN on LN writers
Oct 13, 2016 1:28 PM
Mar 2016
[quote=TitanAnteus message=48135838][quote=crx07 message=48135592]
TitanAnteus said:

Do the so called stereotypically drawn anime fan look like blubbering idiot?
Yes. Yes they do. Non lead characters that are anime fans usually look like that. The side characteres in Nogizaka Haruka, hayate no gotoku and Saekano show that at the very least. Did he not at least look a little familiar? It's because he's a stereotype.

All I'm saying is that anime that get adapted have always been weird. I mean back in the day Golden Boy got greenlighted you know? Also most adapted material are popular works in their field.

>Popular seiyuu doesn't need more jobs since they are financially stable. What about newbies who got 'robbed' for opportunities because the popular seiyuus always get them?
What I said was that old seiyuu didn't make much money but modern seiyuu do, even though they have more work shoved onto them. I didn't even bring up unpopular seiyuu.

> Do you know many generic LN authors themselves are avid anime fans? Their writings get inspiration from popular tropes and use them with creativity passable tto the editors. You get tsundere and then get cookie cutter overpowered MC with harem.
Yeah. Those exist. In the end, if they're not good they wont be popular though. In the end, it's the consumer's decision to decide what's popular.

Anime execs can't make any guarantees about what's popular and even if they try to go for safe adaptations of popular works they aren't guarenteed anything. How does it make sense to blame them for the failure there. Especially when so many hands touch the product including animators and musicians?

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the editors. I don't know exactly how it works since most of my information is second hand, but from manga like Bakuman and the author's personal column at the end of LN I can tell that writing fiction isn't as indirect as you're making it out to be.
I know authors and editors are close and must be close so there will be a free exchange of idea. What I don't know is that why editors approved the prototype of the submission from them.
Also the director on Shirobako is also fat and with glasses.
I misunderstood you on the seiyuu issue. Events sure does give extra income to seiyuus which is a ggood thing but it's unfair that only popular seiyuus get that opportunity since the main cast who are frequently popular seiyuus (though i don't notice it that much today) always gets invited to be at the event because supporting cast does not always get that opportunity. It's a good thing for popular seiyuus only, though times have changed (except that a certain popular seiyuu still gets too many main roles, but it doesn't matter much for her because she is not always present in events)
Anime execs can't guarantee the success of their anime but they should have tried to minimize the risk through getting professional critics, not just follow the popularity trend. Actually they do minimize the risk by hiring popular seiyuus like in KonoSuba. But it's always better to judge the potential of the source material than to depend on seiyuu popularity.
Oct 13, 2016 1:30 PM

Jun 2010
crx07 said:

No... That's actually pretty common knowledge among the Otaku community. That very specific depiction of the way the LN Author looks here is, "Generic Otaku."

There is an all encompassing depiction of Otaku as fat, greasy, losers with baseball caps, backpacks and wearing lame looking clothes, and thick glasses. Sometimes Anime merchandise, sometimes not.

The person didn't just make up the Otaku Steryotype, it's existed for a long time now.
Oct 13, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2007
The stereotype exists for a reason. Because it is true.
Oct 13, 2016 1:39 PM

Jun 2010
Fai said:

Thanks for letting us all know you're fat, blubbering, idiot.
Oct 13, 2016 1:46 PM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:

Do the so called stereotypically drawn anime fan look like blubbering idiot?

I know authors and editors are close and must be close so there will be a free exchange of idea. What I don't know is that why editors approved the prototype of the submission from them.
Also the director on Shirobako is also fat and with glasses.
I misunderstood you on the seiyuu issue. Events sure does give extra income to seiyuus which is a ggood thing but it's unfair that only popular seiyuus get that opportunity since the main cast who are frequently popular seiyuus (though i don't notice it that much today) always gets invited to be at the event because supporting cast does not always get that opportunity. It's a good thing for popular seiyuus only, though times have changed (except that a certain popular seiyuu still gets too many main roles, but it doesn't matter much for her because she is not always present in events)
Anime execs can't guarantee the success of their anime but they should have tried to minimize the risk through getting professional critics, not just follow the popularity trend. Actually they do minimize the risk by hiring popular seiyuus like in KonoSuba. But it's always better to judge the potential of the source material than to depend on seiyuu popularity.

>Anime execs can't guarantee the success of their anime but they should have tried to minimize the risk through getting professional critics, not just follow the popularity trend.

See now who's making assumptions? I don't know about you but I don't think anime execs know the future. If you just look at this season alone you'll see that they diversify.

That's why the cynicism in this show kinda feels cheap? They rely on things that make an anime popular like cute girls, moe personality types and popular voice actresses to be successful while mocking them at the same time?

Fai said:

Lolwut?

Even if you're just trying to say that for japan which has a lower rate of obesity than most western nations, that'd make no sense. These guys aren't just your stereotypical anime fan. They're accomplished authors whose writing is popular enough they could make a living. Not all light novel authors make it.

Even if their works themselves are shallow and pedantic to the general populace, the struggles they'd have to go to, to get where they are aren't. They probably do not look like what you'd think the stereotypical otaku would look like.
Oct 13, 2016 5:36 PM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:
>Anime execs can't guarantee the success of their anime but they should have tried to minimize the risk through getting professional critics, not just follow the popularity trend.See now who's making assumptions? I don't know about you but I don't think anime execs know the future. If you just look at this season alone you'll see that they diversify.
That's why the cynicism in this show kinda feels cheap? They rely on things that make an anime popular like cute girls, moe personality types and popular voice actresses to be successful while mocking them at the same time?
Oct 13, 2016 6:05 PM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:
>Anime execs can't guarantee the success of their anime but they should have tried to minimize the risk through getting professional critics, not just follow the popularity trend.See now who's making assumptions? I don't know about you but I don't think anime execs know the future. If you just look at this season alone you'll see that they diversify.

Regarding your second comment of me imagining things. Of course they're mocking those things. They've stated multiple times that the heroine should be doing better than she is already from her skill and effort. Also yeah those voice actresses are pretty popular.

Then what exactly does the anime make fun of if not for the use of what makes popular anime popular like cute girls and moe personality types. The fact that they rag on LNs is synonymous anyway. If you say it doesn't then what exactly does it come at?

Regarding your first comment.

You're missing my point. I said no one can possibly guarantee a success in anime, and anime producers are doing their jobs just fine following trends in popularity. We... the audience are still the ones in control over what's popular and what's made by them.
Oct 13, 2016 6:41 PM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:
Regarding your second comment of me imagining things. Of course they're mocking those things. They've stated multiple times that the heroine should be doing better than she is already from her skill and effort. Also yeah those voice actresses are pretty popular.
Not as popular as KanaHana, Saori Hayami, Mikako Komatsu, Haruka Tomatsu, or Sora Amamiya. They sell better. And the anime is not mocking on seiyuus, unless the seiyuus are like the heroine, which I don't think exists.
Then what exactly does the anime make fun of if not for the use of what makes popular anime popular like cute girls and moe personality types. The fact that they rag on LNs is synonymous anyway. If you say it doesn't then what exactly does it come at?
They are not the same. LNs adaptations don't sell well while some crappy moe shows sell fine. And I don't see any moe personality there. Moe types are normally not a-holes and bitches. And it's not the anime itself who badmouths but the characters (and probably the author of the show).
You're missing my point. I said no one can possibly guarantee a success in anime, and anime producers are doing their jobs just fine following trends in popularity. We... the audience are still the ones in control over what's popular and what's made by them.
But at least they must have competent staff that analyze the material first before joining the adaptation bandwagon. Not all producers are incompetent. There are just some who are not careful enough who purely depends on trends and nothing else. That's dangerous.
And this anime itself didn't answer why produce anime that don't sell because it's a complex question to deal with.
Oct 13, 2016 7:16 PM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:
Not as popular as KanaHana, Saori Hayami, Mikako Komatsu, Haruka Tomatsu, or Sora Amamiya. They sell better. And the anime is not mocking on seiyuus, unless the seiyuus are like the heroine, which I don't think exists.
They are not the same. LNs adaptations don't sell well while some crappy moe shows sell fine. And I don't see any moe personality there. Moe types are normally not a-holes and bitches. And it's not the anime itself who badmouths but the characters (and probably the author of the show).
But at least they must have competent staff that analyze the material first before joining the adaptation bandwagon. Not all producers are incompetent. There are just some who are not careful enough who purely depends on trends and nothing else. That's dangerous.
And this anime itself didn't answer why produce anime that don't sell because it's a complex question to deal with.

Sure they're not as popular as like Super A list voice actors but they're up there. They didn't bring out underused talent like Yuusibu did that's for sure.

Also if the characters are doing the badmouthing, and everyone agrees, is that not the same as the anime doing the badmouthing? In his other show, Hachiman does a lot cynical talk but other people are there to balance him. In this show, there's no counter balance. Everything's played for straight.

I will say that me saying they're moe personalities was jumping the gun. I was looking at what they presented themselves as. Character designs are moe. Especially the blonde bitch.

Sure. Producers must analyze the material first before joining the adaptation bandwagon, but quite often a source material is popular and anime execs have no idea why. Madhouse had no idea whether or not No Game No Life was gonna be as successful as it was. Sometimes they take risks and fail. In the end, the source is popular and therefore the audience is still the one in control over what's popular.
Oct 13, 2016 7:21 PM

May 2016
What can I say? I could almost see Wataru's hilarious/venomous/sarcastic writings at the screen. It amazes me how the same author can come with a story so different from OreGairu and, against all odds, still thrill me so much.

Definitely putting high hopes on Girlish Number.
Oct 13, 2016 7:22 PM
Mar 2016
TitanAnteus said:
Sure they're not as popular as like Super A list voice actors but they're up there. They didn't bring out underused talent like Yuusibu did that's for sure.
Also if the characters are doing the badmouthing, and everyone agrees, is that not the same as the anime doing the badmouthing? In his other show, Hachiman does a lot cynical talk but other people are there to balance him. In this show, there's no counter balance. Everything's played for straight.
You can be right. But they're just repeating what everybody said in the past. So maybe the anime itself criticize those LNs.
Is what we discuss here still allowed here?
Oct 13, 2016 7:26 PM

Jan 2013
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:
You can be right. But they're just repeating what everybody said in the past. So maybe the anime itself criticize those LNs.
crx07 said:
TitanAnteus said:

I think it's alright since it's still about Girlish Number technically?

Hmmm... but anyways, I'm done anyway.

My point is that the show's good, but I don't feel the sincerity in its criticisms since a lot of those criticisms are shallow and some generally don't make sense. I expect it from someone outside of the community looking in to make that fat otaku joke, but not someone from inside.

I also don't like how it's selling itself in mostly the same way it's laughing at. Like practice what you preach and whatnot.

And I'm done. If you want to add your closing arguments though, I'll read them.
Oct 13, 2016 8:33 PM
Oct 2015
Really enjoyed the first episode to this. Was gonna ignore this bc of the art style but when I heard it was by the oregairu writer I got curious. It was a lot of fun, got a couple of good laughs out of me. Loved the end when the director, the blonde dude and Chitose started laughing. I kind of like that she is voiced by Mumei's VA b/c she is actually a new seiyu who didnt really have a big break before Kabaneri. I would imagine it is easy for her to get into the characters head space. This adds to the list of shows I'm excited to continue this season. That makes like 7, can't believe how strong this season is starting out.
Oct 13, 2016 11:01 PM

Feb 2013
This....this is going to be great. Really showing the "darker" side of the business. And it's probably more correct than some others have shown lol. I will probably enjoy this one thoroughly.
Oct 14, 2016 12:29 AM

Apr 2013
The characters, behaviors, and interactions depicted in this episode seem pretty natural and human to me. Chitose's attitude and occasional irritated facial expressions really reminds me of Nao from Charlotte.
Oct 14, 2016 1:57 AM
Dec 2010
Chitose is just a female Subaru, she deserves to be sent to the Re:Zero world and killed over and over again for the lulz.
Oct 14, 2016 2:07 AM

May 2016
scytheavatar said:
Chitose is just a female Subaru, she deserves to be sent to the Re:Zero world and killed over and over again for the lulz.

She isn't as cringy as Subaru tho.
Oct 14, 2016 2:34 AM

Jul 2007
scytheavatar said:

Subaru is a misogynist trash that starts as realistic and likeable and then goes into VERY unrealistic scumbag for sake of being scumbag.

Chitose is realistic and normal flawed human being that is likeable and understandable.
Oct 14, 2016 2:35 AM
Oct 2016
scytheavatar said:

I kinda agree that chitose's attitude resemble subaru's. That overconfidence tho XD
But she doesnt deserve to be sent to re:zero world and killed over and over for the lulz
Because
Oct 14, 2016 7:34 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm the mc sure is honest with her thoughts lol
and actually pretty lazy too lol
But she's positive at least and does her duties well enough

And i like that the setting is focused on the duties of a a seiyuu
as seiyuu's form an important part of the anime industry
far more than people realize

And that it shows the main duties of a seiyuu as well
namely singing opening and ending themes if they are seiyuu singers
taking part in events promoting animes

Lol Momoka sure is savvy in deflecting invitations lol
her seiyuu Eri Suzuki really shines here

Love the insert song as well

Though i think that Kazuha is a bit jealous that Yae seems to be more popular
than she is

Glad to see that the mc finally has a main role though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2016 8:07 AM

Dec 2013
Nice anime , maybe we can see another side of anime industry from the voice actresses point of view
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 2013
Fai said:
scytheavatar said:

Subaru is a misogynist trash that starts as realistic and likeable and then goes into VERY unrealistic scumbag for sake of being scumbag.

Chitose is realistic and normal flawed human being that is likeable and understandable.

Why do I feel like you're only saying that because subaru is a guy?
Like if you just genderbent Subaru I don't think you'd have a problem with her for some reason.
Oct 14, 2016 2:44 PM

Feb 2008
Chitose's personality is quite refreshing, particularly with his brother acting as a sort of a counterweight. In that respect, the rest of the cast doesn't disappoint either. Looking forward to the unravelling shenanigans of the cynical seiyuu business!
Oct 14, 2016 2:45 PM

Jan 2014
Lol, Chitose totally has the right mentality to be the heroine in the project ran by those two guys.

Also, thanks everyone! I love how the comments instantly got as cynical as the anime. It really helps with immersion.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 14, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2010
I really enjoyed this, the mc is so likeable!
Oct 14, 2016 5:05 PM

Nov 2013
oh god those laughs at the end killed me LOL #GAHAHAHA

ok these 2 main girls are pretty cute and funny, the other one is kinda bored i guess =D

anyway i'm looking forward to the next =D
winddevil1Oct 14, 2016 5:20 PM
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 14, 2016 11:45 PM

Jul 2007
TitanAnteus said:
Fai said:

Why do I feel like you're only saying that because subaru is a guy?
Like if you just genderbent Subaru I don't think you'd have a problem with her for some reason.

I'd have very same problems because he is a badly written character whose characterization breaks itself along the way and makes no sense, to the point that he looks like multiple different people depending on episode. He is basically worse than Shinji Ikari, except Shinji Ikari had reasonable reasons to be the way he was.

Chitose so far is very consistent character and nowhere in that level of asshole-ishness.
Oct 15, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2013
Good first episode, finally a more cynical take on an aspect of the anime industry.
Though it probably won't stay that way
Oct 15, 2016 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, nice jab at the industry lol, will stick to this. Chitose epressions are cute, especially when she was eating <3
Oct 15, 2016 5:56 AM

Dec 2013
I absolutely loved this!
All the scathing commentary and cynicism towards the industry was so refreshing.
All the characters have actual personalities, which is rare nowadays.
So glad to have some recognition of how god-awfull Light Novel adoptations are!
If it keeps this up, this might be my favorite show of the year!
Oct 15, 2016 9:11 AM
Apr 2014
omg that end was hilarious xD Poor Gojou-kun. The face palm was so accurate :D
Oct 15, 2016 3:02 PM
Mar 2012
surprisingly loved the characters, get this Shirobako/aots feel. Great va, even all the "win" laughing, and good animation with qp:flapper designs, makes imouto super moe i approve. And the oniisama manager is cool.
LN shittalking is stronk. Chitose's i-hate-LN faces were gold.
Lol that shit storyboard, anyone'd complain.

Nod to Oregairu catchphrases:
"PREACH IT" sore aru
"SYNERGY"
Thanks Wataru u save anime.
Oct 15, 2016 5:47 PM

Apr 2014
Another anime about the anime industry.
Chitose...is funny tho.
Those laugh...gahahaha
Good start, gahahaha
Oct 16, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting title. It's always nice to see how all those show works in the background.

At first I thought it would be moe-only title but it seems there would be also plenty of critism and I like it.

Definitely gonna stay around and watch how this unfolds.
Oct 16, 2016 12:53 PM

Dec 2010
I am just glad that the show is mixed gender it makes it more realistic,better than new game for sure
Oct 16, 2016 10:18 PM

Dec 2012
Chitose is fun :). She seems kind, but her real personality is when she is with her brother. It's a nice idea to be able to know their real thoughts.
Great episode
Oct 17, 2016 9:48 PM

Nov 2015
"Those people can't draw, produce music nor act, yet they want to be apart of this industry."

Omg this is so truuuuuue

Oct 18, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
unmemorablehero said:
This....this is going to be great. Really showing the "darker" side of the business. And it's probably more correct than some others have shown lol. I will probably enjoy this one thoroughly.

If it's more correct than what's normally shown, then the anime industry has a vastly higher concentration of shitty, stupid people than the industry I work in, which I strongly doubt because that would render it near incapable of functioning. I have taken issue with some personality trait in nearly every coworker I've had - yet not a single one of them has even remotely approached the level of ridiculousness of 90% of this show's cast. It seems like the show is trying to be 'realistic' by showing the dark side of the industry, but it's so over-the-top and so outside the realm of what I have personally experienced, even considering situations where I've had conflicts with others, that it doesn't seem realistic at all.

In fact, it seems even less realistic than some of the cliche stuff the characters criticize. Everyone's praising the shitting on LN's, I took that as a sign that the characters don't have a particular interest in their job nor a realistic understanding of the way the world works. People buy light novels - maybe you think the writing is trashy, maybe it even is trashy, but people buy them nonetheless. From all the discussion I've seen about the characters in even the blandest haremshit, no it isn't just the art. Maybe the blonde girl doesn't like light novels, but she - presumably - likes voice acting, and it makes no sense to me for her to turn down an opportunity to improve her ability to act by learning more about the character she's portraying. Unless she's a snooty little brat like seemingly everyone in this show except the MC's long-suffering brother.

Which brings me to my main problem with the show. Too many characters in it seem like people who would not have entered their career if they had an average interested person's understanding of what it entailed - an understanding that it makes no sense for them not to have had. The blonde girl I mentioned above, but she actually seems like a believable person - maybe she's just talented enough that she doesn't need to think that seriously about her craft. The MC is a different story - she complains about a whole litany of things that seemingly anyone should know about voice acting in anime. And since she's only been in the industry for a year, there's no way that recent trends towards more live events and singing would have been sprung on her in the middle of her career. The purple haired girl is just obnoxious as far as I can tell. She doesn't want to show up at events, they're beneath her. Maybe she just cares about the voice acting? No, she doesn't want to show up to do that, either. Why is she even a voice actor at all? The two execs who picked the MC for the new main role actually had a decent idea behind their decision - but they chose a complete newbie without making even the slightest effort to figure out whether she had potential. I'm not going to say that's unrealistic or that they don't seem like they belong in their jobs, but that's how shows end up bombing.

Even by the standards of something that tries to be realistic and goes overboard with showing the negative side, this is bad. SHIROBAKO was explicitly positive about the industry yet it did a good job of showing how laziness, lack of care, misunderstanding, and all sorts of other issues can make life difficult for the people who work on anime. And it also had likeable and sympathetic characters, including some of the same ones who were at times obnoxious. The director, for instance, was a lazy bastard, but he had some demonstrated actual talent as well as a genuine passion for his work that most of the characters in this show don't seem to have. Daisuke was an honest-to-god prick for numerous reasons, but even he was portrayed somewhat sympathetically as someone who genuinely worked hard before giving up due to stress. Hell, half the people Aoi and Erika had to corral were obnoxious in some way and almost all of them were simultaneously people with a genuine talent and interest in their work. This show doesn't have that level of subtlety, at least not from what we've been shown in the first episode.

I'm honestly amazed to hear that the author of Oregairu is involved, because of how different this is. Oregairu was surprisingly fair in its' handling of the characters - it was fair to the "normal" kids even before the flaws in Hikky's way of life became apparent and it was fair to the "different" ones even after they did. This story is the sort of writing I'd expect from Hikky at the beginning of Oregairu, the same Hikky that the Oregairu mocks in a loving way.
Oct 18, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2015
Very good opening.
Chitose is interesting and is a bit like Hachiman.
Oct 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2015
Sore ga Seiyuu: Cynic route. Though, so far, I'm enjoying it a lot. Everybody's a scumbag, everybody's part of the huge circlejerk. Even Gojo gives Chitose a smile when she finds out she's acting as the main character, when before when she wasn't there he was protesting against it and saying she couldn't do it. Favorite part of the episode was when Chitose apologized for getting in the way... the voice acting sounded really fake - but in a good way, because it completely sounded like she was putting on the act of being a ditzy and clueless cute girl to get out of trouble.

GAH HAH HAH!
Oct 22, 2016 8:13 AM

Apr 2015
Chitose is really a cutie.

All those faces XD.
Oct 22, 2016 10:17 AM

Dec 2012
This anime got me when Chitose instantly did a 180 when she heard they'd be eating at a fancy place. xD

animmar said:
Fai said:

Its not unusual for an anime original work to be adapted into other formats.
Also it is not unusual for a work to mock the very industry it is in. This does mock anime industry and otaku culture too, not just LNs.
And even in terms of LNS, Konosuba exists as a parody of everything wrong with LNs.

Thanks for explaining that XD
Aside from konosuba, do you know other anime who make fun of industry as well?

I'm pretty sure Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has some segments about the "despair-inducing" traits of anime/manga/etc industry, considering it takes shots at everything, basically.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2016

103 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2016

70 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:33 AM

Poll: » Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2016

84 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 13, 2023 11:40 PM

Poll: » Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2016

63 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 13, 2023 11:37 PM

Poll: » Gi(a)rlish Number Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

65 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 13, 2023 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.