Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 19, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2015
BliuBliu said:
I just have one thing I don't understand. So the editor came looking for Youzou because of the drafts or whatever. And the editor decided to have sex with his wife in their house while he is waiting for him to come down? What the fuck? Did I miss something or did this ridiculous shit really happen?

I think he raped the girl everyday and the manga isn't really published either. Yoshika offer herself so that the director can pretend to publish Youzou manga and paid him for doing so. After realized the truth, Youzou drugged himself to death.
Apr 19, 2016 11:27 AM

Mar 2015
You said:
I think he raped the girl everyday and the manga isn't really published either. Yoshika offer herself so that the director can pretend to publish Youzou manga and paid him for doing so. After realized the truth, Youzou drugged himself to death.

I got all that. I'm just wondering why would he have sex with her if he knows her husband is upstairs and he was waiting for him to come down. That's silly.
Apr 19, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2015
BliuBliu said:
You said:

I got all that. I'm just wondering why would he have sex with her if he knows her husband is upstairs and he was waiting for him to come down. That's silly.

Because both parties know that Youzou is rather idiotic? And also note that Youzou spend literally more than 90% of his time on that room so that they think Youzou won't noticed.
Apr 19, 2016 11:38 AM

Mar 2015
You said:
Because both parties know that Youzou is rather idiotic? And also note that Youzou spend literally more than 90% of his time on that room so that they think Youzou won't noticed.

I guess that's a decent explanation, but it still just doesn't sit with me right. I may be nitpicky in this case but it just took me out of the story. I felt the situation was forced to make Youzou lose his mind again (though his mind was already lost a long time ago). I searched about this story and apparently, the end of the book was a bit different than how the anime portrayed it. But regardless, I enjoyed this arc overall.
Apr 24, 2016 8:20 PM

Jun 2015
Why did nobody killed that f*cking director !!?
I'm so f*cking angry right now I'm gonna do some push-ups so I can calm down
I hope it works
May 21, 2016 10:21 PM

May 2014
I don't know if someone pointed this out, but the Author of this story had crazy similarities with Youzou, the author in REAL LIFE tried to commit a double suicide and ended up living while the woman died, he too was a drug addict/alcoholic and a womanizer, and it is believed that the "rape" scene of Youzou's wife downstairs is a representation of the fact that the Author's wife was having sex with someone else while he was in the hospital being treated for drug abuse, so, i'm almost positive it wasn't rape and the wife was indeed having sex with the guy regularly to pay the bills.
May 22, 2016 6:33 AM

Aug 2014
Very dark and depressing story, the setting is very good.
I will rate all the arcs when i finish them all, but for now my approx rating for this arc will be 7-8.
Jul 25, 2016 11:06 AM

Jun 2015
No words, it was so well done *-*
Dec 27, 2016 3:58 PM
Apr 2016
LOL @ teh virgins on this thread saying: i hav noe tolerance 4 hoes. imo the mc f'd up when he killed milfy. he jus' straight dumb. could've had the guud lyfe.

TLDR: Shouldn't have killed the first MILF. MC is gay (homosexual).
Apr 25, 2017 4:29 PM

Feb 2016
Well, I don't know about you people but seriously I wouldn't even know how to react about being cheated, especially in a situation like this one (you really need to work or maintain your bubble dream alive in order to not falling to depression)

Would I forgive my wife? Would I really fall to misery? F*ck, this shows really make you think about this situations
May 11, 2017 7:09 PM

Apr 2017
Damn. It all ended up waay worse than I imagined.

hikky said:
zerotonin said:

Did he actually kill himself? I thought he just went into a morphine binge and eventually died from TB.

You could be right. I guess it's really open to interpretation how they meant for the end of the episode to be seen, at any rate they certainly depicted him giving up as a human.

Same thought here. It's up to you to think it was suicide or tuberculosis, anyway he gave up.

I loved the artwork of this anime, I've found it unique.

As regards the content itself, I've been gradually getting into the story. I didn't really like the first episode, but it got better and better every minute so that in the end it became surprisingly interesting.

I also agree with someone up there who commented it should have been longer. Yep, a 12-episode series as minimum.
Aug 22, 2017 3:53 PM

May 2016
This was interesting but damn the only one I care about is poor Yoshiko ;-;
Sep 26, 2017 8:50 AM
Apr 2014
Quite a few people seem to be convinced that Yoshiko actually did this on a regular basis with the director. I'm honestly not sure about that considering her face while Youzou found out and the fact that she teared up when he brought it up. Could honestly be the way people think or rape. Both seem possible.

I don't think that's the point though. Regarding the story it only matters what Youzou thought it was and, well, he made that pretty clear. No matter if his thoughts were the truth or not that was what destroyed him in the end.

I'm honestly curious to read the original story now. Sadly I can't read Japanese and translations always lose a lot on the way :(
Dec 8, 2017 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
Quite depressing and disturbing this "No Longer Human". I hate hopeless stories.
Dec 15, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 2016
littlefuji said:
I finished this arc tonight, and

"No Longer Human" isn't an appropriate title in my opinion, because Youzou is the perfect example of a human's weaknesses taken to the complete extreme. If he hadn't been a 'human', he wouldn't have felt the pain and guilt he did, the crippling arrogance/anxiety, the hope for comfort. All completely human.

It's sad that in the end of the day, Dazai Osamu-san went on with it and 'succeeded' in committing suicide. Maybe he'd stand a better chance living in a more modern societylike ours now, but the battle is still a crushingly uphill one.

I've learned that stiffly defining (or listening to) what are meant to be relative terms ('human', 'normal', 'happy') are a surefire way of setting oneself up for worry and disappointment. If Youzou made a mistake, it was him lacking character and hence becoming too obedient/trusting of others.

I think 'No Longer Human' refers to Youzou giving up in becoming a human at the end of the story so in his point of view, he's basically not a human anymore
Dec 28, 2017 8:09 PM

Jan 2017
Emotions taking over, making irrational choices, delayed mental issues consideration.
The result, Dramatization.
Contemporary0091Dec 28, 2017 8:13 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 4, 2018 6:10 PM

Jul 2017
This whole story was fantastic and it finally ends. Damn kind of wanted more.
Apr 26, 2018 9:45 AM

Oct 2015
Man! Anger also flowed within me when the scene with his wife was going to get raped which was indicated on the narration this episode. MAN what a life Youzou has been living.
Apr 27, 2018 2:33 PM

Oct 2016
The rape was fucked up and I was scared it would be NTR. Great episode.
May 10, 2018 4:15 PM

Aug 2017
Ahhh, sad ending for him.

I agree that Yoshiko was cheating with another man -boss-. If she would have screamed, i believe her but nop. She attempts suicide because he noticed about it. Of course, another option is that she was raped because she wouldn't risk to be discovered if she was really cheating him. That make that his attempt suicide have more sense.

I felt pity for him. Yes, he partly gets the blame but his childhood and the double suicide attempt made him more unstable. His death is for interpretation. The woman in the store could be an image of the woman that dies in the first episode or the death itself. I don't agree that is a real person because is the same women from years ago. In the end, he accepts that he is a monster and not a human. I'm surprise about his friend, he changed a lot and wants to be in the military. I was thinking that Yozo will kill people but his end surprise me. I don't felt anything about the death of his father, he deserves it.

So. This arc is over. In just four episodes, a single character have more personality than others in an anime that have more than 10 episodes. 5/5. Great arc despite we never know what happen to the journalist and her kid.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 19, 2018 5:13 PM

Sep 2011
Someone unable to trust, someone unable to open up, someone unable to have lasting bonds, someone unable to connect, someone that failed as a human being. That was Youzou.

It was a pretty sad and depressing story. We got to see his decadence and how he wasn't able to live as a human no matter how hard he tried. I will try to get the book and read it when I have the time. I'm impacted to say the least, but I'm not even sure if I liked it, I just know it was good. But it left a bitter aftertaste for sure.

I really like the bits of trivia about the author and the story at the beginning though, and I'm looking forward to next story already! This anime is good.
Sep 8, 2018 5:03 PM

Oct 2016
If any one still watching this thread,I have a question.
the intro said this a famous manga artist autobiography.
How come was "this" the only way to sell his drawings ?!
Think it twice, Is it worth?

Oct 27, 2018 4:04 AM

Feb 2018
Joe_Med said:

I think you misinterpreted, the writer of the novel (Dazai) wrote this novel about a manga writer named Youzou, and the narrator said it is in a way autobiographical, because the author himself had similar problems with society and women, and tried a double suicide with him surviving, but it is not a autobiography per se.
I hope that helps.

OT: This was a very, very heavy story to watch, and I guess it is open to interpretation whether his wife was raped, or really made a deal like that, and also whether he died from OD on the spot, or became a junkie away from society.
Oct 27, 2018 4:40 AM

Oct 2016
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Joe_Med said:

I think you misinterpreted, the writer of the novel (Dazai) wrote this novel about a manga writer named Youzou, and the narrator said it is in a way autobiographical, because the author himself had similar problems with society and women, and tried a double suicide with him surviving, but it is not a autobiography per se.
I hope that helps.

OT: This was a very, very heavy story to watch, and I guess it is open to interpretation whether his wife was raped, or really made a deal like that, and also whether he died from OD on the spot, or became a junkie away from society.

- may be died from TB, OD or age (everything is possible)

I don't think it's rape as it appear it wasn't against her well as I remember, may be it was lust this only time or a regular basis deal .

(but coming to think of it now, who will publish hundreds of copies of a manga for an affair ? not a win win situation if you think of it. and there isn't a cost/benifit balance in any possibility)

This anime is underrated and the stories were amazing it need to enter the 8.xx rating at least. Thanks for reply
Think it twice, Is it worth?

Feb 22, 2019 1:06 PM

Nov 2017
I will remember this episode for the rest of my life...

Mar 11, 2019 9:25 AM

Dec 2015
i try to avoid these kind of stories...... i got so angry at the character choices
Jun 7, 2019 10:15 PM

Feb 2014
It might be late but i just rewatched and finished this episode and the ending is so depressing.

Didnt know that the others interpreted the ending as Yozo's wife doing favors for his boss in exchange of publishing his works.

Im just sad the fact that people blame Yozo's wife instead of helping her. She even asked Yozo why he didn't save her but since Yozo's mind is so fck*d up, he's so vulnerable and very delicate / sensitive because of his previous incident, he accused that her wife is giving sexual pleasure to his boss instead of believe in her and that's what make me so mad about him. Very irrational decision that her wife is so shocked and dumbfounded about what he replied on her. She's crying man , she even tried to take pills because of what happened . That's why i feel so sorry for his wife for dragging her in his misfortune and delusion. Sucks man. but still the ending is good since he got what he wanted. He wont suffer anymore. overall 8/10

Sorry for my bad english. Not really good at this , just frustrated with this ep i guess :/
Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don't care.
-Hikki
Jun 7, 2019 10:19 PM

Feb 2014
Jrittmayer said:
Selkaine said:
This anime is fucked up! But in a good way :D

This is how I saw it, so you're not alone. I remember reading somewhere that back in the day some cultures would accuse women of being cheaters when they were raped or molested (like it was the woman's fault she was violated and not the man's) and maybe that's what Yozo instantly thought when he saw her.

Same, I don't think she was giving up her body to his boss, I think his boss just took advantage of her and Yozo, in his warped state of mind, imagined that she was doing it to get his manga published.

I guess im not alone. Yozo's wife even asked him why he didn't help her and she's crying , then Yozo replied and she was so shocked and dumbfounded on what he said, instead of helping her , he even accused her wife and that's so f*cked up . Im so mad with this protagonist dragging her wife in his miserable life. Hmmp :/
Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don't care.
-Hikki
Aug 10, 2019 6:50 AM

May 2016
Well, that was a really heavy ending to an already heavy story. It was such a downer that I had to spare a few minutes to collect my thoughts and not end up getting depressed for the rest of the night. It was made even sadder for me thanks to the narrator in the opening pointing out that the guy who made it based the book on the shitty life he lived nearly to a t.

I empathize with him because I'm pretty similar as much as I would like to say otherwise but I can see that if Yozo wasn't naive, he was a coward. Even though he eventually realized that his wife had been doing sexual favors for the editor so they'll be able to keep themselves financially afloat, he wasn't even able to get himself to push that bastard off of her in the heat of the moment. To have that happen just when he thought he was starting over was prime breakdown material so I'll have to give him that. Him dying or turning into a junkie didn't matter because at that point, he had completely stopped being a human and threw away everything remotely related to it when he went into that drugstore for the last time...

I would've liked to give him a hug without any drugs and alcohol within a 5 mile radius.

Oct 29, 2019 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
Shiiiit,what a set of 4 depressing episodes. this guy had it hard from the get go.
Diangelo18Oct 29, 2019 11:42 PM
Nov 4, 2019 12:55 AM
Jul 2018
Loved it very much. Makes me want to read the book.

The things portrayed in the episodes through Oba somewhere, in some way make sense in ways I cannot express and hold truth/s. The feeling of alienation, despair, rejection, need for human love, need to feel 'saved', guilt, our relation to self - society, expectation of parent, what it is to be human and so on really engaged me. I just feel sad for him. Also loved the ending where he's sitting with his ghost face to face.
Dec 20, 2019 11:32 AM

Sep 2019
Depression, anxiety, boredom, scared of being left alone, driven by the monster he carries inside him, lost in the darkness, the last hope which he wanted to protect being shattered, what a cruel life Dazai experienced.
Feb 3, 2020 5:40 AM

Jul 2015
To think this story "No longer human" is based on the author Osamu Dazai's life makes it more depressing

Pretty sad that yoshiko sold her body to the editor in order for him to pretend to sell Ooba's manga

Ooba's life really portrayed some extreme cases of human's weaknesses, from not being able to stop drinking to going to bed with multiple women without actual love.....he finally succeeded in the one thing he failed at...committing suicide by the looks of the end scene

Jul 15, 2020 9:59 PM

Feb 2019
Ok that was good, but i'll give it 8/10 because it feels very rushed in comparison to the original novel, and takes a lot of liberties from it (for example, Yokisho actually was raped in the novel, and it wasn't Yozo's editor the rapist. Also a lot of things are better explained like the arc of Shizuko and her daughter and some characters such as Horiki have more presence) but idk, i guess i understand since they only had 4 episodes to adapt the story..still prefering the novel though.
noirblumenJul 15, 2020 10:03 PM
Oct 13, 2020 12:07 AM
Sep 2020
Mc deserved it
I felt sorry for the female reporter and her daughter
Oct 16, 2020 6:32 AM

Jul 2020
Well there’s a lot of interpretation for that scene with Yoshiko. I actually thought at first that she was raped. However after that statement of Youzou, he could also be right that Yoshiko is giving sexual favors to his editor in order for him to get a job. But, it can also mean that Yoshiko were just forced by the editor to do that and given that she wants a decent job for Youzou, that leave her no choice. Either way that is still inhumane. And it just piss me off that Horiki didn’t even do anything.

As for Youzou, I think Horiki’s presence trigger a lot of emotions in Youzou that’s why he suddenly started drinking again. Or since he begin to draw that “ghost” again even before Horiki’s visit, there’s something that trigger him and become in an unstable state. Given all that psychological trauma he had in the past, and it’s also possible that he already have an idea about Yoshiko and his editor (there’s a scene before he came downstairs and saw the act that it seems like he knows what is happening), all were really too much for him.

Overall this story is really interesting, it would be much better to have more episodes in it to further explore Youzou’s past and also current life.
Nov 15, 2020 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
When I first watched No Longer Human, it struck a chord many years ago. That feeling of alienation & detachment from society cut all too deep. It was a surreal experience that loomed like a shadow over me. It was only recently that I finally read the book and delved deeper into that gnawing sense of nihilism. Having the context of the novel certainly gave so much more depth to Yozo's story as well as my connection to it. And while I'm no longer in the same abyss that led me to this work, a lingering attachment to NLH still remains.

I only wish this was an episode or two longer and had covered the entire story. One of the main themes that I've really come to understand in life is what Yozo says towards the end of the book. "Everything passes."
ZekkenshinNov 15, 2020 12:30 PM
Dec 15, 2020 3:52 AM
Apr 2020
I hate Yozo, he made a pure woman like Yoshiko end up like that. Poor Yoshiko.
Feb 24, 2021 2:00 AM

May 2020
These 4 episodes were really something else, watching this got me all depressed now. I don't know how to process wtf I just witnessed...
Apr 16, 2021 10:49 AM
Aug 2020
Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human is one of my favorite books, and this series definitely did it justice. I really love the dark and gritty atmosphere of it. There were a lot of anime in the 2000s that used that style and it works perfectly here. Just like the book, this adaptation really hit me emotionally and felt very relatable at some points. This is one of the most haunting and depressing stories ever told and I'm really happy with this adaptation, definitely better than Junji Ito's.

I do however have one problem regarding the soundtrack. Most of it is great, but there are some electronic tracks that not only felt out of place, but were used in some scenes that felt inappropriate.

I haven't read the other books that are adapted in this series, but I'll definitely keep watching.
Oct 3, 2021 7:50 AM

Aug 2021
His life was very tragic. Will definitely read the book someday.

<°))))彡<°))))彡<°))))彡

Nov 1, 2021 4:45 PM

Jan 2020
Wait what? This is the final chapter? I thought Oba is going to meet his sister again...
Nov 1, 2021 4:49 PM

Jan 2020
In the manga version I read, Oba is supposed to meet another woman and cheated again, and that drove Yoshiko to madness....
Feb 8, 2022 3:48 PM
Mar 2018
wandering from place to person....oba never was, and most importantly, never could be human. acknowledging the truth of this with his monster at the end finally laid everything else to rest. they are now one and the same.
Feb 8, 2022 4:37 PM

Feb 2021
so he accepted his monster self, good ending
Jul 9, 2022 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
Glad that Yozo's arc is over with, it was incredibly upsetting.

Yozo is such an unlikable, tragic and messy character. It's sad to watch. Almost every episode he tells others that he's not well, feels detached, wants to become part of society and feels like a monster for being unable to. I feel like society had partly failed him. He was sexually assaulted multiple times as a child. The servants that did this to him went unpunished. He uses people and they use him. Exploiting him to fulfill their own emptiness. Enabling him with a false sense of security. Stealing his allowance, pushing depressing views on him. When he survived the double-suicide incident, he dealt with survivors guilt. With characters around him showing sympathy towards the woman, yet were vocally disgusted with him for not perishing along with her. Even the doctor chastises him, not caring to understand the circumstances.

Yozo turns to vices such as alcohol, drugs and physical comfort. Characters judge his actions like it's something out of place for him. They simply just never paid attention until it directly involved them. Inevitably making situations worse. Reporters wanted to leech off of his suicide attempt for a good story. The irony being in the episodes of his life as a whole. Demonstrating that no one is even listening unless it's marketable. Personally think it's a little more problematic. The story explains that Yozo is a wasted effort towards society. Simultaneously depicting him as a product of it.

Does Yozo finally succeed in ending his life? It's heavily implied, I like to think that was the case. Nothing else was going to give him any peace. The final scene closes with characters still calling him trash. With the women still delusive by calling him kind, emotionally open and attractive by nature. Instead of sick, troubled and in dire need of help.

Passionate arc, looking forward to the next!
removed-userJul 9, 2022 7:14 AM
Aug 15, 2022 10:10 AM
Jul 2021
very confusing episode. idk for sure what author meant: did she sleep with boss for the money, or had he got drunk and imagined betrayal himself(and she did not scream cause of shock)? Did he die cause of pills or did he throw up and survive like in the first episode? Every watcher should choose himself. Personally, I dislike this understatements.
Jun 9, 2023 2:43 PM
Mar 2021
The anime couldnt quite deliver the ending as well as the book did though you could see that he realized that he failed as a human being. The story is good but I just cant like yozo
Jun 28, 2023 5:22 AM

Oct 2021
i don't think the main character is likable by any means. pathetic and a disgrace to man. i got angry when he didn't even try to stop that boss. he deserved what he got in the end.
Jul 30, 2023 5:15 AM

Oct 2018
The last half of the episode, that was one fuck up into another. Still, I think the first episode is the best, the way it set up the story.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.