Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation Next Month [Update 7/30]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2014 5:13 PM

Aug 2013
joe-anime said:
Xenograft said:
The success of anime is down to these 'pirate' sites. They can't have it both ways.

Not true,at least here in the US.there are plenty of legal sites here in the states,there shouldn't be ANY excuse to go to a pirate site.

Unless it's not licensed.

And the biggest thing is that not everyone is from america

Jul 29, 2014 5:16 PM

Sep 2008
Good luck Japan in trying to make China take down those sites. Hell good luck in trying to make them do anything.

Pssh I don't even stream anime I won't until CR and FUNI and all these other sites get their shit together.
Jul 29, 2014 5:19 PM
Dec 2007
ComicConReviews said:
joe-anime said:
If only this went worldwide,these illegal sites need to be taken down.
I find anime on YouTube and Dailymotion more than any illegitimate streaming sites, people will just find whatever is most convenient and frankly I doubt Japan will be able to provide that.

Trre,but a majority of those anime viewed on Youtube or Dailymotion are illegally uploaded to those sites.and that doesn't help the industry.FUNimation posts some of the anime they have on Youtube.
Jul 29, 2014 5:22 PM
Dec 2007
Hoppy said:
joe-anime said:

Not true,at least here in the US.there are plenty of legal sites here in the states,there shouldn't be ANY excuse to go to a pirate site.

If you want hentai outside of Japan, you must download it.

Hentai has a small market.it's not a big market like anime is.
Jul 29, 2014 5:23 PM

Jul 2014
joe-anime said:
ComicConReviews said:
I find anime on YouTube and Dailymotion more than any illegitimate streaming sites, people will just find whatever is most convenient and frankly I doubt Japan will be able to provide that.

Trre,but a majority of those anime viewed on Youtube or Dailymotion are illegally uploaded to those sites.and that doesn't help the industry.FUNimation posts some of the anime they have on Youtube.

Not necessarily. FUNimation uploads quite a few licensed anime series.
Jul 29, 2014 5:27 PM
Dec 2007
kami_desu said:
joe-anime said:

Almost every anime nowadays are picked up by a publisher or a streaming site for the US,just because it's not licensed that shouldn't be an excuse.i know not everyone lives in the US,but they should try to find a legal source.
Jul 29, 2014 5:29 PM

Aug 2013
joe-anime said:
kami_desu said:

Almost every anime nowadays are picked up by a publisher or a streaming site for the US,just because it's not licensed that shouldn't be an excuse.i know not everyone lives in the US,but they should try to find a legal source.

But in the end, almost isn't all.
And when you're not in the US, trying legally can only get you so far.

This is an even bigger problem for manga, cause there's a lot more that's not licensed anywhere out of japan.

Jul 29, 2014 5:30 PM

Sep 2008
joe-anime said:
kami_desu said:

Sadly there aren't many legal streaming sites for people outside of the US and the ones that are legal they don't pick of a bunch of shows like CR does.
Jul 29, 2014 5:30 PM
Dec 2007
KocsmasNeni said:
joe-anime said:

Not necessarily. FUNimation uploads quite a few licensed anime series.

I know not all of their series are posted on Youtube,but they rely on the fans to buy their products.
Jul 29, 2014 5:33 PM

Mar 2013
People always like to cite these huge numbers about how much money they're losing to piracy... like 5.5 billion dollars.

Practically speaking however, these "losses" are a lot less than they are purported to be - simply because if piracy wasn't available, then those potential consumers likely wouldn't ever experience your content at all.

Just because 1 million people "stole" your movie/TV show or whatever, does not magically mean that those 1 million people would have bought your product if piracy wasn't a thing.
DerpHoleJul 29, 2014 5:37 PM
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Jul 29, 2014 5:34 PM
Dec 2007
kami_desu said:
joe-anime said:

But in the end, almost isn't all.
And when you're not in the US, trying legally can only get you so far.

This is an even bigger problem for manga, cause there's a lot more that's not licensed anywhere out of japan.

Each country is different,not much can be done.
Jul 29, 2014 5:37 PM
Dec 2007
Yuri-Hime said:
joe-anime said:

Sadly there aren't many legal streaming sites for people outside of the US and the ones that are legal they don't pick of a bunch of shows like CR does.

CR streams in diffrent countries,i think it's also the same with Daisuki.net.
Jul 29, 2014 5:40 PM

Sep 2010
I just hope the chinese site DM5 will not be affected I can get Magi on Fridays plus its the only place with Gakuen K scans since there is no English ones. This is all I care about since I found this site by chance.

I only stream since I'm stuck with crappy internet and there is no way I'll pay almost $100 for 6GB a month for satellite with a speed of 3~6MB down if I'm lucky. Sadly not many options out my way so I either have to stay up super late or get up at the crack of dawn to really be able to download anime before line congestion hits. xD So I have no real choice, but to stream. -___-
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 29, 2014 5:43 PM
Dec 2007
DerpHole said:
People always like to cite these huge numbers about how much money they're losing to piracy... like 5.5 billion dollars.

Practically speaking however, these "losses" are a lot less than they are purported to be - simply because if piracy wasn't available, then those potential consumers likely wouldn't ever experience your content at all.

Just because 1 million people "stole" your movie/TV show or whatever, does not magically mean that those 1 million people would have bought your product if piracy wasn't a thing.

They're lose a lot of money,for every person that does't buy anime legally,they lose revenue.it's like selling a product you created,but instead of you getting the revenue it's someone else getting it.you lose money and don't make a profit,it's the same with the Japanese companies.
Jul 29, 2014 5:45 PM

Sep 2008
joe-anime said:
Yuri-Hime said:

True CR do stream in multiple countries but the thing is not all the shows that they pick up get streamed in that certain part of the world. Like take Sailor Moon Crystal it's begin streamed Worldwide now take another show that CR picked and it may not be showing in that country. So what is one suppose to do if they want to watch it but have no legal means to do so. Their more then likely gonna go to one of the illegal streaming sites if not that then download it. Or wait and see if that certain show will get licensed where they live at. Then wait months for it to get released on Blu-Ray/DVD.
Jul 29, 2014 5:48 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah how about you guys focus on the bigger problems, rather than getting mad at foreigners pirating your precious cartoons?

Mar 2013
joe-anime said:
DerpHole said:

They're lose a lot of money,for every person that does't buy anime legally,they lose revenue.it's like selling a product you created,but instead of you getting the revenue it's someone else getting it.you lose money and don't make a profit,it's the same with the Japanese companies.

I'd say that - realistically - they probably lose a maximum of a quarter of their cited figure of 5.5 billion so around 1.375 billion.

The majority of people would simply stop watching anime and find something else if all piracy for it was eliminated.
Like I said before, stopping X number of people from pirating does not magically translate into an equal amount of sales.

Oct 2012
joe-anime said:

Yeah, but loads of series are not availible for those outside of the US. Just off the top of my head, Mushishi, Baccano!, Magi's 1st season were not availible last time I checked (about 1 week ago). So why should I be paying the same prince everyone in the US is paying when I'm not getting the full product? I've watched most of the mainstream anime I've wanted to watch already, so why should I stick to CR when it doesn't have anything interesting to offer?

No thanks, I'll keep downloading anime until there's a viable legal option for my country.
Jul 29, 2014 5:50 PM
Jan 2008
Ain't no excuse. There's more than enough legal routes to get access all over the world.
Jul 29, 2014 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
GChan said:
Ain't no excuse. There's more than enough legal routes to get access all over the world.

No

Jul 29, 2014 5:56 PM

Mar 2014
Through Legal methods I can't watch Chuuninbyo or Houka T_T (I live in the states)
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 29, 2014 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
As long as region blocking is still there I'll never pay for anime legally. Plus I don't feel like subscribing for multiple anime websites just because one site that I am not subscribed to conveniently gets an anime that I want to watch.
MinagatachiJul 29, 2014 6:07 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2014 5:59 PM

Jul 2014
Kalypze said:
Yeah, but loads of series are not availible for those outside of the US. Just off the top of my head, Mushishi, Baccano!, Magi's 1st season were not availible last time I checked (about 1 week ago). So why should I be paying the same prince everyone in the US is paying when I'm not getting the full product? I've watched most of the mainstream anime I've wanted to watch already, so why should I stick to CR when it doesn't have anything interesting to offer?

No thanks, I'll keep downloading anime until there's a viable legal option for my country.

Same here, if they wanted us to buy it they should of made it available.
Jul 29, 2014 6:01 PM

Oct 2012
....No.... This means I won't be able to watch anime online anymore....
Jul 29, 2014 6:02 PM

Sep 2011
YoukaiNoYama said:
GodlyKyon said:
This is just funny. There are tons of shows that I wouldn't even know about had they not been avaliable online. The companies are cutting their own throats if they think this will force more people to buy their(overprized) products; 80 USD for 2-3 episodes simply isn't worth it(And that is theorizing that I even KNEW about the series).

Especially when you have to import the damn blu-rays (additional fees).
Give me some digital download, not too overpriced, and I will buy it.

Anime might become a luxury I fear. >.<

https://torrentfreak.com/google-piracy-availability-pricing-problem-140310/

its an availability and pricing problem. Thanks to the fact that modern Anime that rely on CD/DVD to make profit pretty much cater only to the most obsessed(otaku) they HAVE to sell it for so high, so that only they will buy them, and then they're stuck in the situation where they produce crap only catered to that demography...

this is a real problem, and its nothing getting rid of piracy can solve. How much is a DVD even after the import fees?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 29, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
Minagatachi said:
As long as region blocking is still there I'll never pay for anime legally. Plus I don't feel like subscribing for multiple anime websites just because one site that I am not subscribed to conveniently gets an anime that I want to watch.

This is exactly the issue, do you expect me to shop at only one market that doesn't have what I want when I could get exactly what I wan't somewhere else.
Jul 29, 2014 6:04 PM

Jul 2014
HidamariSeashore said:

There will always be somewhere to find anime, they don't have the resources to take it all down.
Edit: Saw Japan wanted to focus mainly on targetting Chinese anime pirate site.
*Laughs* Couldn't have picked a country that cares less about breaching copyright.
Jul 29, 2014 6:06 PM

Oct 2012
ComicConReviews said:
HidamariSeashore said:

There will always be somewhere to find anime, they don't have the resources to take it all down.

No there won't! I'm pretty sure they're going to take down the sites I use to watch anime!
Jul 29, 2014 6:06 PM

Mar 2012
Now that I think again it won't cover VN and LN so Baka-Tsuki and Fuwanovel is still save.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 29, 2014 6:09 PM

Jul 2014
HidamariSeashore said:
ComicConReviews said:

No there won't! I'm pretty sure they're going to take down the sites I use to watch anime!

Yeah okay give it till 2015 and see if you can't still watch your anime.
Spoiler: You'll be able too.
Jul 29, 2014 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
You know, this is seriously bad if you consider that I've been having problems with Crunchyroll lately.
Jul 29, 2014 6:12 PM

Nov 2008
NeoAnkara said:
Now that I think again it won't cover VN and LN so Baka-Tsuki and Fuwanovel is still save.

Nyaa has VNs I want, the ones that don't get translated due to content, they better not touch (leave it alone corporate tyrants).

Jul 29, 2014 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
I respect Japan's rights to blow tax payers' dollars on a futile project that will ultimately make no difference to anything.
MinagatachiJul 29, 2014 7:27 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2014 6:22 PM

Mar 2013
Minagatachi said:
I respect Japan's rights to blow billions of tax payers' dollars

billions of taxpayer dollars lol stop talking out your ass.

On August 1, the government will start simultaneously sending requests to delete illegal anime and manga contents to the operators of the 580 foreign pirate sites which they have found. In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

What's the cost of creating/hosting a website and hiring some desk jockeys to send out some "requests" to all the illegal sites?

Spolier: It's not billions of dollars
Jul 29, 2014 6:25 PM

Jul 2010
I only download anime from nyaa, hope it will be ok :(
Jul 29, 2014 6:27 PM

Jul 2011
DerpHole said:

Corrupt politicians pocket it all? XD

Well I'm just wondering here how many sites this will actually affect... but goodluck to the Japanese gov't taking on Chinese piracy anyways. :P
Jul 29, 2014 6:30 PM

Mar 2013
10th_man_down said:
I only download anime from nyaa, hope it will be ok :(

They're mostly targeting Chinese, because china and Japan are tsundere for eachother.

It depends on the laws of wherever Nyaas servers are, but I doubt anything will happen seeing as they've been alive for this long anyway, I doubt Japan sending them notices is gonna change anything.
Jul 29, 2014 6:31 PM

May 2014
Darn it, will it be only a matter of time before they start their hardcore crack on US fansubbing sites that upload illegal content?
Jul 29, 2014 6:32 PM
Mar 2014
They already tried this before way back..though only for manga sites but what happen??more manga sites just pop up...they can never stop piracy no matter what they do..

they should learn from "game of thrones" the creator allowed those pirated copies because it can actually generate them more income because of the merchandise sale because those people can't watch it legally will be able to watch it illegally but at the end of the day those people who watch it illegally they really earn more income from them than those who watch legally since the one who mostly buy their merchandise are the one's who watch it illegally..

but anyways goodluck to japan government on doing these...what they can do on pirates site outside their countries??they can close those inside their own country but not outside..and they even choose to target chinese site who doesn't care a damn about piracy which is considered the piracy country of the world :3 yeah they can do something on that i'm pretty sure(not!)..
Jul 29, 2014 6:34 PM

Jan 2011
GChan said:
Ain't no excuse. There's more than enough legal routes to get access all over the USA.

FIFY
Jul 29, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2014
Destroying pirate sites so companies can make more money, is that it?
Jul 29, 2014 7:22 PM

Jul 2013
DerpHole said:
Minagatachi said:
I respect Japan's rights to blow billions of tax payers' dollars

billions of taxpayer dollars lol stop talking out your ass.

On August 1, the government will start simultaneously sending requests to delete illegal anime and manga contents to the operators of the 580 foreign pirate sites which they have found. In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

What's the cost of creating/hosting a website and hiring some desk jockeys to send out some "requests" to all the illegal sites?

Sorry, read below and accidentally said billions for some reason
tsubasalover said:
The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates the loss caused by the Chinese pirate sites last year was amounted to at least 560 billion yen (about US$ 5.5 billion).

Don't know why I said billions, but fixed.
Minagatachi said:
I respect Japan's rights to blow tax payers' dollars on a futile project that will ultimately make no difference to anything.
Though what you said makes it seem like it isn't expensive, so whatever.
MinagatachiJul 29, 2014 7:26 PM
Jul 29, 2014 7:22 PM
Aug 2012
looking on amazon (the best place to get anime i would think.... legally not bootleg) in canada.... 75$ for a single 13 ep season of a recent anime on bluray.

YEAH OKAY.
Jul 29, 2014 7:24 PM

Jan 2013
I'm so worried that I won't be able to watch anime because of this. I have watched many anime but I wouldn't pay $85 for Blu-ray or DVD for most of them. I might get myself a Crunchyroll membership but some of the anime I watch aren't licensed.

I just hope this doesn't affect the websites I use to stream anime.
Jul 29, 2014 7:28 PM

Sep 2013
So this is how the age of viewing anime illegally dies... with contemptuous laughter.
Jul 29, 2014 7:31 PM

Jun 2010
God created everything, but everything was made in China. Anyway good luck for them, it's like asking for the crude oil they stole and then return it by spilling it out in our ocean. Well they the urban gag calling anime a Chinese cartoon might become literal anytime soon, heh.
"Deep."
Jul 29, 2014 7:31 PM
Aug 2012
NebulaC3I said:
So this is how the age of viewing anime illegally dies... with contemptuous laughter.
this is not likely to outright kill online anime watching.
Jul 29, 2014 7:43 PM

Mar 2012
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Jul 29, 2014 7:44 PM
Apr 2014
Even if this hypothetically worked all throughout China there are still tons of websites based in other regions of the world uploading anime. The top dog pirate websites will never die. The US has tried numerous times and failed.

I can completely understand Japan's concern for their incredibly popular export, but this whole operation is gonna fall flat on it's face.

I'll make sure I visit Tokyo someday soon and give them some of my money.
Jul 29, 2014 7:47 PM

Feb 2013
tsubasalover said:
the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site
Oh... so they are going to give me a legal place to get anime with beautiful fully-karaoke'd english subs... Symphogear? no? awe :( => fail

I buy BDs/DVDs for the anime I like (as long as the price is reasonable, sorry I will not pay $250 for Sora Kake Girl no matter how much I like the anime, gimme a box-set for $70). Even then, BD/DVD subtitle quality is, well, ugly. If they want to stop lessen piracy, they need to offer a product comparable in quality to fansubs.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan' Reveals Supporting Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

5 by ZXEAN »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Sakamoto Days' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

26 by Barberzone »»
4 hours ago

» 'Touhai: Ura Rate Mahjong Touhai Roku' Unveils Main Cast for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
8 hours ago

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - May 25

53 by Merve2Love »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

» "Oshi no Ko" Season 2 Reveals Supporting Cast Pair, Opening Theme, First Promo

DatRandomDude - May 26

14 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 7:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.