Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 25, 2020 10:56 PM

Apr 2017
it's so funny because my cousin and I were having this convo this morning. but, I've always been a japanese dub/english sub type of person. I have nothing against those that like english dub; I personally love the authentic emotions provided by Japanese VA's
May 25, 2020 11:53 PM

Jan 2017
Regretfully I'm somewhat of a sub elitist. I generally prefer the performances of seiyuu, but most importantly, I would like to get as close to the original intended experience as possible though I am unable to watch raw as I don't speak Japanese. Similarly to other respondents, this preference of mine isn't limited to anime, and I will watch almost anything in its original language with subtitles if possible.
May 25, 2020 11:59 PM

Oct 2019
Honestly, I just need subtitles for everything. Even when watching non-anime shit, I need subtitles. Dub does not offer me subtitles unless I go to sites like Netflix but even then, the subtitles don't match the dub. A lot of animes are getting a dub treatment, especially seasonals. But, seasonals are like 1 or 2 weeks behind the sub release. I would prefer to watch the story over hearing my native language. And plus, if I do not like the Japanese VA's, I can just turn down the volume.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

May 26, 2020 12:58 AM

Jan 2020
I prefer subs to dubs most of the time now. Even though I started watching anime strictly with dub I felt myself slowly gravitating to the sub because of how much better it sounded to me. The only exception I've made recently was Cowboy Bebop though because it enhanced my viewing experience.
May 26, 2020 1:11 AM
Jul 2018
Dubs all the way. If I wanted to read, I would start consuming manga. I watch in Russian dub though, so I don't know how it compares to English ones
May 26, 2020 1:13 AM
Jan 2020
I prefer the subs to have the authentic anime experience. The only dubs I watched are Dragon Ball Z and Super, the rest is all sub.
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

May 26, 2020 1:19 AM

Oct 2015
Sub is way better. Most of the time its the best way to go.
May 26, 2020 1:22 AM

Jan 2020
Subbed without a doubt, but there are some anime whose dub I absolutely love
Fairy Tail
My Hero Academia
Deathnote
Code Geass
FMAB
Assassination Classroom
May 26, 2020 2:21 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Dub, because I enjoy Japanese voices. Or raw if you prefer.

May 26, 2020 2:40 AM

Nov 2019
Subbed. At first I was a dub fan because japanese sounded way too weird to me. Afterwards a friend advised me to give sub a try...I haven't watched dub since then. I understand how hard dubbing is and I appreciate it. But japanese VA are absolutely better.

I'm not lying.
                    I'd never lie.....
                    Perhaps
May 26, 2020 2:46 AM

Mar 2016
Deffinitely subbed. I always watch everything in the original language (movies, tv shows etc.). But the thing is, English is not my first language so I'm used to watching things in a language different than my mother language. I'm also used to reading subtitles as my English isn't good enough for me to be able to watch a movie in English without English subtitles (and when I do I get lost very easily and end up not enjoying it).

Also nowaydays the main reason I watch anime is because of its outstanding voice acting. If the voice acting is no good I'll just read the manga instead. But that's just me as I my favourite activity is watching an anime and then remembering what other character this VA voiced xD
May 26, 2020 2:46 AM
May 2019
I like Sub more because I like Japanese voices, I don't really like to watch in dub, it's just my preference
May 26, 2020 4:09 AM

May 2017
KreatorX said:
The typical average subbed elitist on MAL : AniMu Is SuPpOsed tO be WatChed Subbed.

> cannot listen, speak, read or write fluent Japanese.

> Fails to understand that anime is made for Japanese audience in mind and that Japanese people don't need/read subtitles while watching their shows in their native tongue.

> Doesn't take into consideration that majority of the voice acting is artificial/exaggerated and that Japanese people don't talk in crazy and overly expressive voices normally.

On topic, I am ambivalent to both. I just go with whichever sounds pleasing to my ears or 'feels right'. Based on my viewing history, I have watched majority of the anime with subtitles because superior sounding English dubs are just hard to come by due to several technical limitations.

The amount of bullshit in this post is almost scary.

1. Doesn't matter unless you're an ape. Homo sapiens have their primal ability to understand emotions and many other things carried over beyond the language and words.

2. ??? That's why original voice acting is always better? Exactly like ANY other language if it's original? Only original voice actors can act like original creators intended. Dubbing by itself is the poor-man's solution. It's inferior to authentic voice, even if its the best dub in the world.

3. Do you even know what "acting" mean? Show me the game, movie or TV series (because I'm almost sure that you don't know what theatre is) where actors are speaking like they are in everyday life.

This post only shows how braindead dublovers are.
KawaiiTanukiMay 26, 2020 4:13 AM
May 26, 2020 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
When it comes to tv series, dubs are usually underfunded. 3-4 voice actors have to do all the voices mostly in real time and it is much more exhausting for them. Often the translation script is not a direct translation of the Japanese version either,having to translate it from another language, mostly a poor English translation. Also insert songs are without lyrics because they can not afford to hire a singer and composer. So dub voice actors and directors and script writers who sometimes are also voice actors themselves, have to improve and create everything from scratch.
One reason I admire dub actors more than the Japanese voice actors who have everything at their feet.
May 26, 2020 6:30 AM

Nov 2017
It depends. I generally watch anime in Japanese with no subs. If I'm watching with someone or if it's anything Dragon Ball related, then I watch the English dub.

If I re-watch an anime, I might watch the English dub if there's one available
May 26, 2020 6:31 AM
May 2014
Both. Before I only watched dubs, now I mainly watch subs. I appreciate both, so I really don't care.
May 26, 2020 6:37 AM

May 2020
Subbed because the original voice is much much better than dubbed.When I just heard any of the dubbed anime clips in youtube,I really discomfort with it.
May 26, 2020 6:41 AM

Apr 2014
Subbed. The only anime I can watch dubbed are animes I watched when I was a kid, like Pokemon, Digimon, Creamy Mami, Minky Momo, Azuki-chan, YuuYuuHakusho, Detective Conan, etc.
Signature of three years-or-so was removed

here's my new one

Thank you and have a nice day, everyone.
May 26, 2020 6:47 AM

May 2013
KawaiiTanuki said:
KreatorX said:
The typical average subbed elitist on MAL : AniMu Is SuPpOsed tO be WatChed Subbed.

> cannot listen, speak, read or write fluent Japanese.

> Fails to understand that anime is made for Japanese audience in mind and that Japanese people don't need/read subtitles while watching their shows in their native tongue.

> Doesn't take into consideration that majority of the voice acting is artificial/exaggerated and that Japanese people don't talk in crazy and overly expressive voices normally.

On topic, I am ambivalent to both. I just go with whichever sounds pleasing to my ears or 'feels right'. Based on my viewing history, I have watched majority of the anime with subtitles because superior sounding English dubs are just hard to come by due to several technical limitations.

The amount of bullshit in this post is almost scary.

1. Doesn't ...

2. ??? ...

3. Do you even know what "acting" mean? ...

This post only shows how braindead dublovers are.

Your post unfortunately reveals how short sighted people can become to not read the post completely, due to selective reasoning I guess. Makes you come across as someone who can't read.

I speak in the context of elitism. Do you associate yourself with that? If yes, you have every reason to get pissy and I hope you do.

Here are your own arguments when you conveniently ignore the context of elitism I am addressing as a whole:

1. Doesn't matter unless you're an ape. Homo sapiens have their primal ability to understand emotions and many other things carried over beyond the language and words.
Then what are you upset about here? You admit that homo sapiens have this 'primal ability' to understand emotions and other things "beyond language and words". This only reinforces the notion that it doesn't matter what language you choose to listen to in the end, regardless of whether you understand it or not. Read my original post again maybe, since I am ambivalent to anything in the end. I go with what sounds best my ears. Ergo, where I felt the emotions and other things subjectively.

2. ??? That's why original voice acting is always better? Exactly like ANY other language if it's original? Only original voice actors can act like original creators intended. Dubbing by itself is the poor-man's solution. It's inferior to authentic voice, even if its the best dub in the world.
How do you know it is better for you when you do not speak the original language? Who are you to claim about authentic voice unless you are Japanese and why do you speak on their behalf? I'd only agree with you on these if you were Japanese to begin with (which makes you different from the typical MAL subbed elitist), in which case you wouldn't even need subtitles to begin with.

3. Do you even know what "acting" mean? Show me the game, movie or TV series (because I'm almost sure that you don't know what theatre is) where actors are speaking like they are in everyday life.

Yes, I do know what acting is. Half the time I spot common arguments such as "subbed is best because it sounds real" -- . Of course it doesn't because it is acting in the end. No shit sherlock. And you answered this question for yourself so I really don't know what we are disagreeing about.

Maybe take a chill pill and stick to your own #1 argument.
KreatorXMay 26, 2020 6:54 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 26, 2020 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
THE-Black-Mage said:
I prefer dubs because I tend to multitask while watching anime. Not only that, but I like to watch the entire screen, not just the bottom as I read subtitles. If I want to read the story, I'll pick up a book or manga.
That said, I'll watch subs if a show piques my interest. The Monogatari series, for example. I fully intend to watch that series in it's entirety in the near future despite it's lack of a dub. I also watched the original Dragon Ball subbed back before it's good dub was released.

And let me make one thing perfectly clear: anyone who says subs are superior because 'Japanese VAs are just plain better' or 'Japanese VAs convey emotions better' are lying to themselves in order to placate their personal biases. There are just as many stellar English VAs as there are Japanese. If you don't believe me, go watch any dub that Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, Christopher Sabat, or Todd Haberkorn has done. There are many others I could name, but those were the first to come to kind.
And neither Japanese nor English VAs are better than the other are conveying emotion. You need to understand that such things are approached differently in Japan than they would be in the US. The same goes for other languages as well. And much like anything else where there are variations, preferences play a large part in the matter. Just because you personally think Japan does emotion better doesn't make that a universal absolute. It would be exactly like saying rock bands are better at making music than pop stars. That's YOUR opinion based on YOUR preferences. Indont understand how people have trouble understand that. It isn't rocket science or advanced trigonometry, it common fucking sense.

But I've ranted long enough. I'll get off my soapbox now.

I get where your coming from. I'm not someone who watches Japanese anime "raw" like some anime fans and at the same time I can understand where people come from when it comes to preferring to watch shows in English dub. Before I knew what anime I was, I was someone who watched shows like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto in English dub on Cartoon Network as a kid. I didn't know that I could watch anime with English subtitles until I was much older. At the end of the day, I doubt that nearly every anime fan had started off watching anime with subtitles. Shows like Dragon Ball Z are popular here in the US because of it's English translation. There's nothing wrong with watching anime with English subtitles, but I don't think it's fair for some anime fans to knock down others who enjoy it with English voiceovers. The show itself still originates in Japan.
May 26, 2020 6:53 AM

Jan 2014
I'm a fan of both.
I think some anime greatly enhance your expirience when being watched in the dubbed version and i think some enhance your expirience when being watched subbed.

I would always reccomend people to watch Black Lagoon dubbed cause it seems way better to me dubbed than subbed cause the dubbing is amazing and it (in my opinion) greatly adds to the overall setting of the anime and the characters that appear in it with accents relatable to their origins and such which in return just adds to the atmosphere of the anime.

I watch most of my anime subbed but some anime are just better expirienced dubbed.

Anyways the sub vs dub debate is stupid anyways.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
May 26, 2020 7:04 AM
Apr 2018
Totally Subbed Fan..coz Japanese voices gives me the real sensation and i think dubbed meanings are different than what the characters usually says..some might like dub as they dont get the japanese language(i dont know either) and cant keep up with the subs and anime scenes..But we all learn from experiences..😤
"Just Keep Your Opinion To Yourself.Dont Force It On Others.We All Are Different Human Beings "
May 26, 2020 7:06 AM

May 2016
I was dubbed but since fuckimation seems to be changing all their anime I might as well just watch sub now.
May 26, 2020 7:15 AM
Feb 2020
I am dyslexic and have trouble reading subtitles especially if they are too wordy and go by quick, but I still prefer sub.

There are some series where I sort of lose interest but just wanna know what happens next, I switch over to dub and do other things on the side while letting the anime play in the background.
May 26, 2020 8:20 AM

Oct 2017
subs only!! japanese seiyuus are exceptional at the job they do and i personally feel it would be a disservice to watch the dubs (which i somehow feel can't match up to the quality of the original; again, that's my personal opinion). plus a lot of things tend to get lost in translation; the japanese language is a very rich language and dubs, i feel, aren't always capable of getting the original nuances and cultural references through.

so yeah its subs>dubs for me.

May 26, 2020 8:23 AM

Jun 2010
I prefer to watch anime in their original language. It is better as you will get to know and listen to the language accent, ways of speaking, the structure and how the language is being formed, presented and communicated across. For example, in Japanese, you will notice that Japanese people use honorifics and titles to address people of different status, rank and level. They also use different ways of addressing themselves and others using different terms, titles and words.

In Detective Conan (as stated by the thread starter), the English dubbed version appears to have changed almost entirely, not just the title of the anime, but also the names of the characters. The anime just sounds so weird. I still like to listen to Conan calling out "Ran-chan" under his breath when he finds that Ran is in trouble or her life is in danger. Obviously Ran is always calling Conan "Conan-kun" like a big sister calling her little brother. Then we have Shinichi's mother calling her son "Shin-chan" in the most affectionate voice like a mother calling her baby since Shinichi has turned into a first grader cute little boy. There are also other addresses - both formal and informal - either to ownself or others. Some others will be related to the culture and customs that are associated to the language the people speak. Additionally, Japanese is also a language that sounds light and gentle, and it is quite pleasant listening to.

I don't mind watching dubbed version of anime as long as it does not affect the show too badly. Since most anime are from Japan and China, I will still enjoy the shows in their original language. Unless there are anime made from elsewhere that I am unable to understand its language, then I will watch the dubbed version.

May 26, 2020 8:39 AM

Sep 2019
Sub. But there's some good Dub that i really enjoy like the FMAB one.
May 26, 2020 9:06 AM
May 2019
i used to watch DUB, but now i prefer SUB,
SUB is lot better actually.
when it comes to DUB, dialogues seems to change accordingly(not the meaning but how they say), but for some anime, for which dialogue is everything and all kind of clue is hidden in dialogue, watching DUB will be a big lose...
Other than a few anime, most DUB sucks to begin with.
i hv a habit of watching shit anime, to lower my expectation, in these cases i watch dub, cuz anime itself is shit, so why bother with sub..
May 26, 2020 9:57 AM

May 2015
Sub, which I use 99.99% of times. The only times I don't use it is when I can't find a subbed version (Like "Lyrical Nanoha A's) or I already watched the sub and loved the series so much I HAVE to listen to the dub (Madoka Magica)
May 26, 2020 10:06 AM

May 2015
Originally I watched anime dubbed.

Today I primarily watch them subbed.

I'll watch dub if sub is not available.

Dub voice acting is usually inferior to sub, but when a dub is good, it can be superior to sub especially in dramas, but that's coming from me whose first language is English.

I prefer watching the Dragon Ball series Subbed.

I grew too accustomed to the P4 English voices, so I watched it dubbed.

I've seen Cross Ange subbed and dubbed, and both of them are great in their own regards.
May 26, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2019
Except for occasional Ingrish and Japerman accidents the sub always wins.
May 26, 2020 12:24 PM

Jan 2020
It depends.

For something like JJBA? Sub all the way. Hearing Joseph's gratuitous English was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders so much.

When it comes to something like Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Super, when I grew up hearing Christopher Sabat's voice as Vegeta and then Sean Schemmel play Goku? Dub, although I don't mind watching it in the sub to also enjoy the work that the original voice actors did there. So, I guess when it comes to a series that I grew up hearing voiced in English, it can be a little difficult to hear the original Japanese at first.

"No letter that could be sent deserves to go undelivered." - Violet Evergarden
signature and forum avatar made by Memor!
May 26, 2020 1:02 PM

Jul 2014
I watch sub mostly, but I do appreciate a good dub and go out of my way to try dubs out. I think the reputation that dubs have among sub only fans is underserved and that they don't know what they're talking about.

Some dubs I think are good:
Zeta Gundam
Golden Boy
DB/Z
Dunbine (show is boring though)
FMA 03
Berserk
School Rumble
Slayers
YYH
Genshiken
Mousou Dairinin
Macross
FLCL
Galaxy Angel
Excel Saga
Baccano
Gungrave
MurauMay 26, 2020 2:59 PM
May 26, 2020 1:14 PM

Aug 2009
Technically both because it depends on the genre for me.

May 26, 2020 1:16 PM

Nov 2017
Dubbed 4 life gang, unless there isn't one. They need to dub older anime series.
May 26, 2020 2:46 PM

Jun 2019
I prefer both dub and sub. Because I start my anime journey by dub. And I think there is some anime witch sound more good in dub for example Cowboy bebop Fullmatel alchemist brotherhood Death Note Attack on Titan etc. I watched all of those animes on dub.
But when it's comes to qualify then dub is not near as close as sub of course there some exceptions but still it's not enough. But now dubs are really shit not even bad it's shit. Translations look like made by a kid. VAs don't put any effort on their role. Fruits basket is the only good dub anime witch is currently airing.
The reason I think dub become very cringe. When they try to use some Japanese words like senpai san kun etc. I think dub should stop doing this.
May 26, 2020 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
Both. I don't care what language it's in as long as it's good.
May 26, 2020 6:16 PM

Oct 2015
I'll almost always decide on subs, except very fringe cases where I've already been acquainted with the franchise outside of anime in English (like Persona 4). Subs works better for me for a lot of reasons.

1. There's more of a variety, and generally sounds better.
2. The dub will have more restrictions compromising accuracy (lip syncing, having to make the sentence around the same length) and I'd like to experience the shows as close to the original intent as possible.
3. I kinda need subtitles even in dubs, I'm no native speaker and also a bit hard of hearing so I can miss some of what's spoken or mishear them. Needless to say there's no captions in dubbed anime which results in me occasionally having to rewind to make sure I got what's said correctly.
May 26, 2020 8:26 PM
Apr 2020
It depends on the show. I'm more so a sub watcher but shows like cowboy bebop, code geass, and to a lesser extent Toradora are a lot better dubbed in my opinion. Cowboy bebop dubbed is the best way to watch, and Code Geass's dub is excellent.
May 26, 2020 8:51 PM
Oct 2019
I'm just a simp. I watch dub, and I only watch sub one piece because the dub is so far behind. The dub for me is just easier to comprehend and some of my favorite voice actors are dub actors.
May 26, 2020 9:01 PM
Apr 2016
This boils down to asking "Oi, do you prefer rubber garbage roasted, or you would yer rather eat some (veg) sushi??"
Something along these lines.
Re:formed
May 26, 2020 9:07 PM

Jun 2019
Mostly subbed because I prefer the voice acting in Japanese more than I do English; however, there are some animes where I think the English voice actors outshine their Japanese counterparts-- Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, and Michiko and Hatchin are a few examples.
May 26, 2020 9:17 PM

Aug 2014
Sub. The original voice is always better in my opinion
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
May 27, 2020 12:32 AM
Apr 2020
I watch a mix of both and don't really have a preference overall. I usually put on dubbed if I'm doing work and only like half paying attention but if I'm paying full attention then I'll put on subbed
May 27, 2020 12:47 AM

Nov 2018
Subs are wayyy better. The way dub voice actors says character's names is just too fucking cringy.
May 27, 2020 4:27 AM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
Mayuka said:
Japanese dub only as they are actually better at expressing the emotions. Seiyuu have more training and spend way longer learning their characters whereas English dubbers literally learn it the night before lol. I don't blame them at all, I blame the dubbing companies for being so lazy.

I rarely watch English, I guess Dragon Ball Z is an exception since I don't like Goku's JP actor

olajuwon20 said:
However, I will say that my only complaint with dubbed anime is the fact that series aren't fully adapted into the English language. An example of this would be shows like Case Closed (or Detective Conan). Only 131 episodes were translated into English, while the rest haven't been touched. What is your preferred method of watching anime?
God, it's so fucked up because DC English dub changed the names entirely so I watched all the dubbed episodes and I WAS USED TO JIMMY KUDO, RACHEL, RICHARD ETC. but I had to get used to Japanese names after.
Was going to make a post but this sums it up perfectly. The emotion. I can't speak a lick of Japanese but the raw emotion you can feel from the VAs is truly amazing. That kind of stuff just isn't there in most dubs. That can sometimes make or break an anime for me.
May 27, 2020 4:31 AM

Oct 2012
Big fan of both subs and dubs. I generally like more subs but there are also lots of shows I prefer in english.
May 27, 2020 5:03 AM

Sep 2009
Subs, prefer the Japanese Seiyuu...
May 27, 2020 5:04 AM

Jun 2016
even a 10/10 anime would be a 1/10 if it's in dubbed...

EdocchiMay 27, 2020 5:10 AM
May 27, 2020 5:31 AM

Sep 2018
90% of the time, I prefer subs. In general, I find English dubs sound a bit too samey and are less expressive than the original Japanese. Of course, there are exceptions (Baccano!, 91 Days, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost Stories, Garzey's Wing, etc.).
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - Jun 6

17 by Theo1899 »»
4 minutes ago

» ways to watch as before

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

6 by RudeRedis »»
6 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Jun 7

26 by RudeRedis »»
12 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

65 by RudeRedis »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - 5 hours ago

36 by Yaaceen »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.