Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 4, 2020 9:42 PM
Oct 2019
I think the story so far is ok. The real star of the show is the music (for me anyway). It sounds like old Ghibli flims music
Jan 5, 2020 12:45 AM

Feb 2019
This anime looks great, peaceful OST and the realtionship between human and golem this is awesome looking forward to more EPs
Jan 5, 2020 1:24 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm the forest sure is pretty. So the watchmen's duty was to simply monitor the forest then huh. The OP song though sure was a relaxing one while presenting plenty of visuals that shows just fun the journey will be. The city sure presented an interesting view into the society present in the world. Looks like it was the humans who caused their own decline. Golem's eye though sure allowed him to strike back against that dealer. The city though sure presented some unique dangers in the form of the birds though also presenting a good place for unexpected help to arrive. Overall an excellent opening ep that while doing well in introducing the world and its lore also did well to show the kind of developing relationship that exists between Somali and Golem. Looking forward to seeing how this series goes on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2020 3:12 AM
Nomad

May 2014
Just want to pop in here and say I'm super glad this series is getting a lot of positive feedback. The anime did a great job making up for the super detailed artwork in the manga with really incredible color design and background art.

Major props to Chiho Nakamura (Color Design, they also did color design for Youjo Senki) and Vincent Nghiem (Background Art Director, first time in this position/debut)
Vincent especially put a ton more effort in the background artwork than most anime studios usually tend to do. He had to check and correct more than 3000 different backgrounds in only a few months BY HIMSELF. Man seriously deserves props, because all that hard work definitely paid off beautifully. People underestimate how much color design and background artwork can change the aesthetic and atmosphere of a show.
art by @u_zuta on twitter

Jan 5, 2020 3:40 AM
Mar 2016
I just watched the first episode but I can tell to you this anime will be the best of 2020. You will see it. Graphics, story, creativity you can see all of them. I didnt read the manga and also I dont know this anime has got a manga. it's not a spoiler just a guess but I think the golem will die. I hope in the end of the anime he wont die :(
Jan 5, 2020 4:16 AM

Apr 2015
Just fucking beautiful, come on
Jan 5, 2020 8:52 AM

Jun 2015
I liked the art, sound and the pacing, but disliked the main VAs in their roles. The little girl (or boy) sounded too childish (moe) for someone who's been through what she has and the golem was too chatty and sounded too human to convey his lack of emotions. Both ended up sounding generic and out of place in the setting, which was a let down.

Also, that bit of exposition was beyond lazy.
Jan 5, 2020 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
It is a good start ^^

Somali is so cute *.*
Jan 5, 2020 12:41 PM

Jul 2014
These types of show normally bores me but for some reason this got me hooked, maybe its because Inorin is voicing the main char, anyways will definitely keep up with this, story seems nice, a golem taking care of a kid and finding another human to leave her at cause he probably doesnt have long or he just thinks her being around humans is definitely safer.
Jan 5, 2020 4:29 PM
Sep 2016
I mean, this might be my AOTS. I love the aesthetic, the world seems pretty cool and I like that the anime doesn't go full overboard with exposition. Really dug it.
It really do be like that though.

Jan 5, 2020 11:14 PM

Oct 2008
This show has peaceful ambience yet very fragile because of the world that they are in now.
I hope there are no tragedies on this one because those kinds of events tends to break and mess with our hearts and emotions...
5/5.

Jan 6, 2020 2:58 AM

Oct 2018
it was really good, its simple but very emotional.... If anyone has time they shouldn't miss it...

“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 6, 2020 3:01 AM

May 2015
I didn't much like it at first apart from stunning visuals and OnoD's voice. It started off so slow and kinda predictable with all those mandatory cute things cute girls do. But I changed my mind after that backstory and the fact she's also human.

It's been a while since I've seen good quality fantasy anime, I mean, pure fantasy and not isekai. Now imagine if Somali was actually isekaied to this world and that's why she is probably the only human appeared out of nowhere, lol, I hope that's not the case.

The golem looks cool with his eye open. His ability to see structure of things seems pretty useful too.
Also, I enjoyed the pacing after all and how well it goes with the way there's not much explanation of Somali's emotions, we can see them and understand anyway, a good example of show don't tell.
Jan 6, 2020 7:38 AM

Feb 2017
Pretty chill though I was fearing what would happen to Somali while being lost, thankfully it was nothing bit a slight scare.

That 3DCG in the ED was pretty nice, though I guess they took a bit of extra effort to make it look nice since it wasn't that much and it's of course the ED.
Jan 6, 2020 2:38 PM

May 2017
This first episode was ADORABLE. Compared to first episode of "If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord", this one wins for sure. It pulled me in immediately, and had a subtle darkness to it. Very cute, heart warming, and interesting. Loved the hand hold at the end♡♡

EDIT: The soundtrack was also GORGEOUS. Really enjoyed it. Reminded me a bit of the OST that you hear in a feature film, kind of reminiscent of Made in Abyss (amazing soundtrack as well).
demisionJan 6, 2020 2:47 PM
Jan 6, 2020 2:57 PM

Dec 2018
The animation was stunning and lovely colours!!

A pink town with a cat asshole!! Well all cats are assholes so no surprise there!!!But the other creatures were very friendly. And the Golem are skilled at blackmail =P Great!!

Like the story and for being my seasonal random pick up anime I enjoyed it!!

Good first episode I give it 6/10

Jan 6, 2020 6:31 PM

Mar 2019
Daisuke Ono AND Inori Minase! what a good pairing. Im excited to see how this adorable anime progresses :)

Jan 6, 2020 10:29 PM

Jan 2011
cute for now but i can't not see this turning out depressing as hell, i mean while this world seems peaceful it sure ant if your human D:

art in the background is great ,animation leaves much to desire it's fine just hoping it doesn't lead to them having to use CGI like they did in the ED
Jan 7, 2020 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
the art is so pretty, especially the backgrounds!! it's so heartwarming and wholesome so far <3
please don't pull an usagi, please don't pull an usagi drop, please don't pull an usagi drop
Jan 7, 2020 8:50 AM

May 2019
The first episode was not very special but I liked it!

The music is the star of the show in my opinion.
Jan 7, 2020 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
What a cute and lighthearted anime! Somali is adorable and Golem is great as Somali's stepfather. :) I liked the visuals and general idea of the world from this show. I will definitely continue watching it.
Jan 7, 2020 1:04 PM

Apr 2015
let's be honest here. the only reason this looks "wholesome" is because the human is a little girl. whether the show is about her or the golem, I feel like this show is just made to milk money out of the two of them. it's actually kind of blatant as I hear Somali's VA as that alone is carrying much of this show.

now that I think about it, this show has plenty similarities with Usagi Drop. but this time the father figure is a non-human because let's be honest here, a man and a little girl is just triggering and unacceptable in Current Year (tm).

I'll blatantly put it this way: you're just getting loli-baited to watch this.
kidlat020Jan 7, 2020 1:19 PM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jan 7, 2020 1:44 PM

Jan 2016
That CGI in the ending was amazing.
Jan 7, 2020 1:48 PM

Sep 2018
I’m not one that usually watched wholesome type animes but this is actually so cute. I’ll be continuing to watch
Jan 7, 2020 3:17 PM
Jun 2013
This is so adorable. Looking forward to the rest.
Jan 7, 2020 5:24 PM
Jan 2016
Such a wonderful setting. Reminds me a lot of the setting from Samurai Jack with all the different creature-people walking around.
Jan 8, 2020 4:11 AM

Feb 2014
This first episode felt very relaxing and heart-warming. =)

Although humans are on the verge of extinction, as explained in this episode, it didn't stop me from really liking the interactions between Somali and the Golem, as they wandered through the forest and spent some decent time in the colourful city.

While the animation is decent and nothing special to write home about yet, the visuals and background art was great. Same goes for the feels-inducing OST used as well.

Another plus point was the nice OP/ED songs. Even more surprising was that the ED was done entirely in CGI and it looks very good. If only Cautious Hero's ED CGI was like this... XD

Overall, this was a good start. Who know where it'll go and it feels like uncertainly and drama might make an appearance down the line, but for now, I want to enjoy the charm and the peacefulness that this show has to offer. ^_^
Jan 8, 2020 5:34 AM
Jun 2016
Very cute first episode, brought a smile to my face watching the interactions.

Only remark was that weird cut after the Golem picked up Somali from the cat. The cat runs away and Somali is still in his arms. Then it cuts to Somali running towards him and grabbing his coat. That kind of took me out of it. Don't know if that was how it was supposed to be or just a bad edit.

All in al left me wanting more.
Jan 8, 2020 9:19 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty nice start. Relaxing atmosphere and might turn in one hell of a feels trip.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2020 11:46 AM

Sep 2017
Oh my god the art is amazing. Those backgrounds look straight of out a children's fairytale book and the music is beautiful. Plus, while the animation is somewhat limited I love the variety of the creatures' designs and the weird father-daughter relationship the golem and the girl have going on. Also, the golem looks like its degraded...

Damnit, this is going to be one of those shows that attracts onion-cutting ninjas into my room isn't it?
Jan 8, 2020 4:30 PM
Dec 2019
Very calm and heartwarming anime. I liked how episode one introduced much of the setting and showed future conflicts with the cat. I will be watching this to the end
Jan 8, 2020 7:23 PM

Oct 2017
Very nice artstyle, world, as well as music choice.

The setting is extremely interesting, reminds me of Promise Never Land, and we have a super cool and unique mc being a Golem.

This probably will be the contender for my anime of the season for sure.
Seeing from the tone of this show I bet something bad will happen to either of those 2.
This story definitely would not end as a happy end.
Jan 9, 2020 2:43 AM

Oct 2012
looked wholesome
felt wholesome

I'll stick around for now. Seems like a nice laid back show to sit down to.
Jan 9, 2020 4:13 AM

Aug 2009
"You are strong Berserrker!!" Wait wrong anime.

But it somehow convinced me that Ono Daisuke must voice sane Heracles in Fate series.

Cute, beautiful backgrounds, fitting, chill ost and a story that will probably make tissue companies happy again. Hope I am wrong and this ends up being just the right amount of bittersweet story instead.

kidlat020 said:
let's be honest here. the only reason this looks "wholesome" is because the human is a little girl. whether the show is about her or the golem, I feel like this show is just made to milk money out of the two of them. it's actually kind of blatant as I hear Somali's VA as that alone is carrying much of this show.

now that I think about it, this show has plenty similarities with Usagi Drop. but this time the father figure is a non-human because let's be honest here, a man and a little girl is just triggering and unacceptable in Current Year (tm).

Can you shut the fuck and let everyone enjoy this?

Jan 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Apr 2015
ssjokg said:

kidlat020 said:

I mean if you enjoy being baited with a subpar plot at best then go right ahead.

Jan 9, 2020 6:41 AM

Aug 2009
kidlat020 said:
ssjokg said:

I mean if you enjoy being baited with a subpar plot at best then go right ahead.
The fact that you think like this is very problematic.

A boy would act the same way in that age and nobody would notice.Just like nobody gave a fuck in Eizouken when they thought the MC was a boy even after we saw her wearing a girl uniform. The gender doesnt matter.

And no there is no fucking problem with a man raising an adopted child regardless of of its gender.
IF it is problematic it would be even if it was a little boy. The fact that you think that way tells more about you than the creators and/or marketing of this is show.

Jan 9, 2020 11:44 AM

Apr 2015
ssjokg said:
kidlat020 said:

A boy would act the same way in that age and nobody would notice.Just like nobody gave a fuck in Eizouken when they thought the MC was a boy even after we saw her wearing a girl uniform. The gender doesnt matter.

And no there is no fucking problem with a man raising an adopted child regardless of of its gender.
IF it is problematic it would be even if it was a little boy. The fact that you think that way tells more about you than the creators and/or marketing of this is show.

hahahahahaha!!

tell that to those SJW snowflakes in twitter and reddit.

and yes, I'm calling this subpar plot. if you want good plot, I'd recommend nanairo reincarnation and bokuten. both are visual novels though.

Jan 9, 2020 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
kidlat020 said:
ssjokg said:

hahahahahaha!!

tell that to those SJW snowflakes in twitter and reddit.

and yes, I'm calling this subpar plot. if you want good plot, I'd recommend nanairo reincarnation and bokuten. both are visual novels though.

So what exactly are you doing here? Talking on behalf of some delusional people?

We didnt ask for their opinions.

And I don't care what you think is or isnt a subpar plot.
Sometimes there is beauty in how simple something is.

If you cant enjoy that, dont try to lecture us who can.
Jan 9, 2020 8:22 PM

Sep 2018
The first time I saw the trailer, I feel inlove with it! This is very wholesome Father-son relationship.. I hope the story will be good, I like this episode :)
Jan 9, 2020 8:48 PM

Apr 2015
This was so cute and wholesome :')

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Jan 9, 2020 8:57 PM

Jan 2018
LOL so many people triggered by the loli concept when this show isn't even about that at all.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this. The graphics and animation are sooooo good! And we all obviously know what might happen in the future judging by the golem's hand. It's predictable and inevitable but I this is the kind of feel good anime I like :D and I mean... Somali's cuteness — ugh, must proteccccc!

hell is other people
Jan 9, 2020 9:43 PM

Aug 2017
it was cute, it was fantasy, it was a slice of life , why not stick with it.
will finish this one (^_^)

Jan 10, 2020 2:32 AM
Nov 2015
kidlat020 said:

the story legit good about father and daughter doing adventures and wholesome.

Get the fuck out you heartless SJW normies.
Jan 10, 2020 3:12 AM

Apr 2015
redcobra said:
kidlat020 said:

the story legit good about father and daughter doing adventures and wholesome.

Get the fuck out you heartless SJW normies.

I never went inside that shitstorm that is twitter. and that "wholesome" is exactly what I mean with this anime being all form and no substance. look, I don't mind seeing a man and a little girl strolling around. that's much better than being inside a closed room. but if that's essentially all I'll get in this anime then that's a hard pass for me.

and please I can see the plot coming from a mile away: near the end the girl gets kidnapped, golem gets emotion for the first time of wanting to save the girl, and golem becomes "human" or whatever shenanigan.

Jan 10, 2020 1:17 PM

Aug 2018
Just watched one show so far and I can already tell this will be my favorite show of the season.

INSANE PRODUCTION VALUES LIKE HOW THE FUCK ? Background art is Museum-like gorgeous, OST is god tier you literally cannot avoid noticing it, both my eyes and my ears ejaculated from the first minute alone.

The concept of Jotaro taking care of Rem is already the best thing a anime director could ever think of, it has a lot of Magus Bride vibes, how fortunate of me It's one of my top5. Wholesome Father/Daugther relationship with expected drama coming according to the trailer.

I just hope some plot and stakes can kick in quickly and not just full SOL to get me as invested in the story as I'm with the visuals and universe.

Jan 10, 2020 9:55 PM
Aug 2011
grown ass adult women voicing little girls is fucking annoying to me about 98% of the time and this was definitely included in that percentage

otherwise this series in something that was on my manga radar for a long time and I think I would enjoy it more in that medium instead
Jan 11, 2020 12:56 AM

Sep 2016
Wholesome.

Also, "souka".
bruh
Jan 11, 2020 6:41 AM

Oct 2016
First episode here, didn't through me out the water like I think it would. Somali is adorable, however not into character of Golem. I'm having the feeling that Golem is going to be those fathers who overly controllable towards his son daughter. Him without any emotion progressively starting to get sad. I'm hoping there's going to be some character growth on Golem and not just some plain boring father.
Animation, ok i guess not too bad or good just ok.
Overall I'll still staying this show for few episodes, not bad.

Side note: whole time I though Somali was boy, didn't notice.
InfernoPhoeniz12Jan 11, 2020 6:45 AM
Jan 11, 2020 9:34 AM
May 2019
The artstyle is fantastic.
The OST is relaxing.
Somali is so cute :3
It's refreshing to see iyashikei that isn't your typical CGDCT anime.

Jan 11, 2020 11:50 AM

Jul 2008
Light hearted show, but it can get dark quick when the human issue is brought up.

And yes all humans are evil morons.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.