Forum Settings
Forums

What Constitutes A "Masterpiece" for You? • A Discussion About Styles and Applications of Storytelling?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 18, 2015 3:54 AM

Jun 2014
I think a lot of the animes up there qualify as extremely well-written and conducted. A few, though I may not like them personally, can contend for a masterpiece position.

I feel that Clannad AS should be up there for the slot. Haven't seen an anime with emotional story-telling quite like that in awhile.

Sep 18, 2015 4:05 AM

Jun 2015
This poll doesn't make sense since it's completely partial.

Till now I valued as Masterpiece 2 animes: The Tatamy Galaxy for being flawless as any other show I've seen, for having the highest rewatch value and for its production quality (from the first second of the opening until the last of the ending) and Monster, because of its unique pacing that kept me interested during all those 74 episodes and the quality of both the plot and all the characters involved.
Sep 18, 2015 1:41 PM

Mar 2012
Lordwen said:

Till now I valued as Masterpiece 2 animes: The Tatamy Galaxy for being flawless as any other show I've seen, for having the highest rewatch value and for its production quality (from the first second of the opening until the last of the ending) and Monster, because of its unique pacing that kept me interested during all those 74 episodes and the quality of both the plot and all the characters involved.

Monster, if it really has consistent pacing then I fear it'll always be as bad as the first 14 episodes

NightAndMoon said:
Some might say "all qualities", but I think excelling at one does aspect does make something a masterpiece of its own kind don't you agree?

I haven't really seen enough anime to vote on any of the poll options as a masterpiece. In doing so I wouldn't be objective enough to fall within the realms of technical standards but more so inclined to vote on my limited scope of opinions. Which brings me to your quote...

Now that you mention it, if something truly excels in one aspect more than anything other it would be safe to say it is a masterpiece in its own kind of way. At least I would like to think that.

However, when I think of the term "masterpiece" I tend to think of near perfect. Because nothing can truly be perfect, right?

HxH, SSY & DEATH NOTE
End Zionazism
Sep 18, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2014
Mikasa said:

HxH, SSY & DEATH NOTE

Meh. I'd count Death Note out of that if anything. It's a great anime. Just not good enough to constitute a master piece. I'd say it pulls up very close to the hall of fame, but ... eh. Something about it is missing something.

Sep 18, 2015 5:03 PM

Feb 2015
Mikasa said:
FMAB, Akame ga Kill, Big 3, Fairy Tail and the like
LOL
Sep 18, 2015 5:24 PM

Jun 2013
I didn't vote...

Personally, a masterpiece should make me feel the whole rainbow of emotions. A masterpiece should draw me in and shake my morals and understanding of purpose. I should quiver in excitement, anticipation; wondering why the events unfolding before me make sense despite the fact that I can't or rather, shouldn't condone them; leaving me trembling at the madness I see before me; knowing all too well that such fury exists everywhere, even within myself. There should be moments when I can't control my laughter and moments where I can't contain my frustration and anger.

A masterpiece should make me feel or realize ideas previously unknown or subconsciously suppressed. I should be eager to devour the series; constantly reminding myself to slow down the savor it and when finished, there is no applause, no scream of praise; just silence. I always know when I've finished a masterpiece when I'm overcome with a feeling of emptiness and loneliness.

A masterpiece should be like a really good, old friend; you may spend years at a time apart yet the fondness between you remains ever present. No words are needed the explain yourself and most importantly, you discover new things each other upon visiting. That, my children, is what constitutes a masterpiece.

...I need to get out more. I'm sounding more and more like a wise grandma by the day (-_-)
BlueBellBerrySep 18, 2015 5:36 PM
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
I might be crazy. So, what's the problem?

Sep 19, 2015 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
I'm glad DN is kicking ass. Seems like the hater base was simply a loud minority.

Xari said:
Mikasa said:

HxH, SSY & DEATH NOTE

Meh. I'd count Death Note out of that if anything. It's a great anime. Just not good enough to constitute a master piece. I'd say it pulls up very close to the hall of fame, but ... eh. Something about it is missing something.

DN is the first anime I called as a perfect story. Where it had a parfect start end and all the in betweens. The music and unique atmosphere as well.

BlueBellBerry said:
I didn't vote...

Personally, a masterpiece should make me feel the whole rainbow of emotions. A masterpiece should draw me in and shake my morals and understanding of purpose. I should quiver in excitement, anticipation; wondering why the events unfolding before me make sense despite the fact that I can't or rather, shouldn't condone them; leaving me trembling at the madness I see before me; knowing all too well that such fury exists everywhere, even within myself. There should be moments when I can't control my laughter and moments where I can't contain my frustration and anger.

A masterpiece should make me feel or realize ideas previously unknown or subconsciously suppressed. I should be eager to devour the series; constantly reminding myself to slow down the savor it and when finished, there is no applause, no scream of praise; just silence. I always know when I've finished a masterpiece when I'm overcome with a feeling of emptiness and loneliness.

A masterpiece should be like a really good, old friend; you may spend years at a time apart yet the fondness between you remains ever present. No words are needed the explain yourself and most importantly, you discover new things each other upon visiting. That, my children, is what constitutes a masterpiece.

...I need to get out more. I'm sounding more and more like a wise grandma by the day (-_-)

Okay grandma. I think 4 of the shows abive made me feel what you said. :)
End Zionazism
Sep 19, 2015 5:09 PM

Jun 2015
Mikasa said:
Lordwen said:

Monster, if it really has consistent pacing then I fear it'll always be as bad as the first 14 episodes
It does get better like any other show since it gets a progression but in this case if you haven't liked it after 14 episodes you won't start loving it all of a sudden.
What I could notice were multiple ideas that sure worked as an inspiration for Death Note. Comparing both shows Death Note starts in a more thrilling way (Monster is more like a hospital drama for the first 4-5 episodes) but Monster builds it up way better for me at the end. I guess it's a matter of tastes anyway. But what I can tell after watching more anime is that Monster doesn't have a slow pace. Its amount of plot and stuff happening is considerable, you only have to get used to get new characters introduced while losing the track of the main character for maybe a few episodes in a row. But it's fine since everything has a connection at the end.
Sep 20, 2015 12:15 AM

Oct 2014
Mikasa said:

Nobody said they read it. That's even kess valid. Just KNOWING it is more faithful made them biased.
But in a real mature discussion FMA has more almost everytime as I can testify.

The confirmation bias is strong with this one.

BlueBellBerry said:

Personally, a masterpiece should make me feel the whole rainbow of emotions.

These are all opinions, and how you define a masterpiece is up to you, but I think it's a little bit too optimistic to think every great anime can make you feel every emotion. You don't have to laugh at a serious plot, and you don't have to cry with a comedy.

Besides, what constitutes "interesting" or "good" is often warped by our own experiences. The most objective way to go about it would be to say anime which revolutionized others in its field are masterpieces (set tropes and trends which others follow suit for a long time) but that doesn't take into the account the show as a whole.

Personally I think a "masterpiece" is one which you will feel the full extent of the emotions (if not more), enjoyment, awe, interest on rewatches. Something that you can think of fondly and go back to watching without losing any impact. Laugh at the same jokes, cry at the same heartbreaking/warming moments. That's why I tend to value one-trick pony type shows much less than truly immersive and engaging storytelling.
Sep 20, 2015 12:49 AM

Oct 2013
For a story we can divide its components in 2:

Ideological component (the very foundation/abstract of the narrative)

Its arrangement (the elements that shape the way the story is told)

The very fundamental idea must be of human relevancy; “Ping Pong” reflects about the meaning of sport to its performers, it raises questions and it answers them, I find this to be important a story must have something to say about its very essence, we have to know what the author thinks.
Characters should be congruent within their fictional context and with themselves.

Real masterpieces can touch several “genres” at the same time without leaning to either side, if the representation of humans is the goal of fiction then it is not desirable to maintain a monolithic style of presentation all along the work
Other ideas which I regard as enjoyable are those about the very meta elements of the story, author or medium, but these tend to be mediocre more often than not

Regarding the arrangement, I find a good story to be enjoyable if it completes a cycle and tells what is needed in the time that is needed a good author knows when is necessary to explain certain concept and how to. A good author does not insult their audience’s intelligence and provides a subtle storytelling when the peripety comes around, if by the time we reach the climax the author has to explain anything then we’re facing a bad work.

These are some ideas I have regarding fiction.
Sep 20, 2015 12:52 AM

Aug 2015
One Piece is a masterpiece and masterpiece is One Piece... as simple as that.
Sep 20, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2014
The poll results are outrageous.
Sep 20, 2015 1:02 AM

Oct 2013
Aria-da-Capo said:
I agree
Sep 20, 2015 7:59 AM

Jun 2015
TheRefractingOne said:
Mikasa said:
LOL
Nov 12, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2012
Aria-da-Capo said:

How so? DN is winning
MeinKaiser said:
One Piece is a masterpiece and masterpiece is One Piece... as simple as that.

Nah, denied.
UnoPuntoCinco said:
For a story we can divide its components in 2:

Ideological component (the very foundation/abstract of the narrative)

Its arrangement (the elements that shape the way the story is told)

The very fundamental idea must be of human relevancy; “Ping Pong” reflects about the meaning of sport to its performers, it raises questions and it answers them, I find this to be important a story must have something to say about its very essence, we have to know what the author thinks.
Characters should be congruent within their fictional context and with themselves.

Real masterpieces can touch several “genres” at the same time without leaning to either side, if the representation of humans is the goal of fiction then it is not desirable to maintain a monolithic style of presentation all along the work
Other ideas which I regard as enjoyable are those about the very meta elements of the story, author or medium, but these tend to be mediocre more often than not

Regarding the arrangement, I find a good story to be enjoyable if it completes a cycle and tells what is needed in the time that is needed a good author knows when is necessary to explain certain concept and how to. A good author does not insult their audience’s intelligence and provides a subtle storytelling when the peripety comes around, if by the time we reach the climax the author has to explain anything then we’re facing a bad work.

These are some ideas I have regarding fiction.

What's a subtle storytelling though
End Zionazism
Nov 12, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
MIKASA IS BACK
HIP HIP HOOORAYYY
Nov 12, 2015 2:33 PM

Oct 2015
anything that i immensely enjoyed and/or impacted is considered a masterpiece. But out of the 10 Fate/Zero
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Nov 12, 2015 2:37 PM
Dec 2011
No anime is worthy of a 10. Closest things that comes to a masterpiece is Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann and probably Steins;Gate.

With manga there are actual 10s.
Nov 12, 2015 2:50 PM

Sep 2015
The only anime I consider a mesterpiece is Death Note for too many reasons..the atmosphere and pace, the most important.
Nov 12, 2015 2:51 PM
Nov 2015
YAAAS at Death Note being #1....after watching Death Note I saw like 30 other shows and none of them were even half as good...its a masterpiece on its own
Nov 29, 2015 1:37 AM

Jan 2015
The only thing i consider when rating an anime 10/10 (=masterpiece) is how much i enjoyed it. I dont care about anything else.
So far its fate zero, aot, yuyu hakusho and angel beats.
I also rated akame ga kill and overlord 10/10, but they just scratched that 10 mark.
Nov 29, 2015 2:22 AM

Feb 2015
LOL Death Note win the vote.
Nov 29, 2015 2:31 AM

Jul 2014
Something that captures one's heart. Something that keeps you interested in the story (or motifs). Something that makes you care for the characters and the world. Something original and beautiful that you've never seen before.
That was Shinsekai yori for me. Started watching LoGH only yesterday, so I can't rate it yet.
What a beautiful Duwang.
Nov 29, 2015 2:35 AM

May 2015
Fate/Zero, by far.
Nov 29, 2015 2:36 AM

Oct 2014
Main things I look for are plot, character likability and development, and most important it has to be highly enjoyable and memorable. As unique as it may be, if i had to force myself to sit through it it's not a masterpiece, and if 10 years from now i dont remember it, its not either.

Most that i would rate masterpieces have some extra unique things that just bring it up that extra notch. Bebop's music, Death note's plot, Bacanno's intertwined stories, Shinsekai Yori's social critisism, Mushishi's serenity.

In that regard most of the ones out of the list would be masterpieces in my opinion, with NGE definately being the odd one out with its shit enjoyability factor.
Nov 29, 2015 6:31 AM

Feb 2015
I would say berserk, as a parable about the pursuit of your ambitions, and trying to find reason in your existence, it struck a cord with me and I love the tv anime, the trilogy of movies as well as the manga, I had been interested in anime for about a year at the time I watched berserk and I was astonished when I watched the movies, I still believe that the golden age arc is reminiscent of a shakespearean epic.
Nov 29, 2015 10:15 AM

May 2014
If an anime is worse than Fairy Tail : 1/10 it's trash
If an anime is Fairy Tail : 5/10
If an anime is better than Fairy Tail : 10/10 it's masterpiece

Edit: more than merely having fantastic production values, characters, and story; a great anime should uses all of these elements in harmony to fulfil one or more purposes (it can be for iyashikei's sake, being thought provoking, etc. etc) IMO. And more than beeing the best of what the anime medium has to offer, a masterpiece would go even beyond that, would take it to a whole new level.
parazeNov 29, 2015 10:28 AM
Nov 29, 2015 11:24 AM

Apr 2011
Something that's really good.
Nov 29, 2015 11:25 AM

Mar 2015
stop necroing this shit. story telling has many ways, and everything is depend on execution. i don't understand how one type story telling can be supperior compare to others. if it really happened, if course it's gonna be used by everyone.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 29, 2015 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
I'm shocked F/Z overtook death note and hxh so quickly, but also understand. It was quite masterful in its own ways
End Zionazism
Nov 29, 2015 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
Of the poll, I voted Bakemonogatari.
Nov 29, 2015 1:51 PM

Apr 2014
School day should be on the list!! I demand put School day on the list!! ^^
Nov 29, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
I didn't really vote I don't want to start thinking about the term masterpiece but my faves from there are NGE and bakemono.
Just a point I want to make, I don't think a masterpiece (or a 10/10) should be perfect, because nothing is, I think it should be something new, something that will blow people away, something that is creative and good enough with what it wants to do that the little flaws have no meaning.
Nov 29, 2015 2:07 PM

Jan 2012
For me most of what comes down to a masterpiece is mainly

1. How much I like the characters
2. How engaging the story is for me
3. How entertaining it is

Things such as art and sound/music are bonuses for me, my score is usually is never affected by the art or sound/music. Unless they are really bad, in which case I may knock off a point, but under normal circumstances these things don't matter to me.

The 3 anime I gave a 10/10 to are:

One Piece - I really like most of the characters, and I especially like the Straw Hats. I like One Piece's story, although the main plot is pretty simplistic (finding the One Piece treasure) the story is engaging for me because of all the world building it does.

Steins;Gate - The story was very intriguing for me. The whole cell phone, microwave time travel thing with parallel universes really peaked my interest. I also like most of the characters as well.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - I thought the story was very beautifully written myself, and I was constantly sympathizing with the main characters because they went through some real $hit. It was hard not to get engaged with the story or characters.
Nov 30, 2015 6:34 PM
Nov 2013
I think it's extremely ironic that OP touts Death Note as his ultimate masterpiece and argues that FMAB doesn't deserve its own category because it is only ranked highly due to popularity. I wonder if you realize that Death Note is the most popular show on this site, while FMAB is the highest ranked? Glad you got to create this poll to try and reconfirm your own beliefs instead of actually letting people discuss what a masterpiece is.

I will humor you at this point and make a legitimate argument for why FMAB is anime's crowning glory and ultimate masterpiece. The reason is really very simple. FMAB did not do anything new that anime had never done before. It took few risks, and broke almost (if any) new ground. However, what it did do, is execute absolutely perfectly. Yes, it may very well be a shounen, and a typical one at that. But one way to become a masterpiece to me (which was already brought up in this thread) is to be the top show within your respective genre. FMAB stands in its execution far ahead of every other shounen out there. Some may argue hunterxhunter is at the top of the shounen genre, but this is where I'd argue that FMAB, at the same time that it is a traditional shounen, it also takes itself much more seriously and presents itself in a much more western-style fashion than a traditional shounen. So while you can and will argue that HxH is the greatest shounen (and I think it is the best traditionally Japanese shounen), FMAB actually manages to take the shounen genre and twist it into a much more western style epic. You can feel free to disagree, but in the end, the numbers do speak for themselves. FMAB is the number one rated show on this site, and many many people have written in on this thread i support of it. To not even list it as its own option in discussion of a what constitutes a masterpiece is the height of being disingenuous. If you are still unwilling to list it as its own option, at least give up the facade that you are here to legitimately debate with people about what constitutes a masterpiece

Sorry if you feel attacked or offended, its just that when you make a thread to discuss what makes up a masterpiece and then completely shut down the number one ranked show on the site which many many people wrote in the thread they considered a masterpiece... well to be frank its very insulting to the rest of us.
Nov 30, 2015 6:52 PM

May 2014
Something Chinese cartoons will never be
LittleGaoNov 30, 2015 7:30 PM
Nov 30, 2015 6:57 PM

Apr 2012
One of the must for me is to "completely" tell a story. In other words, the audience must feel some kinds of enclosure and be satisfied by the ending. All conflicts must be resolved, and if it's not, it must be for the purpose that not resolving a conflict can convey an even more powerful message.

This is only one of the ingredients for masterpiece.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 30, 2015 6:58 PM

Mar 2014
I have none of those rated 10, and haven't seen several, but out of them I'd say Berserk is probably the closest. I don't have it rated the highest, but it's inconsistent animation quality and terrible ending are really the only things holding it back. There are a few other minor details. If it got a remake (not the CGI one on Netflix) and fixed the ending it might be a masterpiece, but I would like it to remain hand drawn which is highly unlikely.

As for what constitutes it? It has to be stylistically perfect in my eyes like Space Dandy, KLK, and FLCL. It needs to present ideas that match it's style and tone and execute them in a way that blends perfectly with the narrative. As far as the actual story goes, it can be about anything as long as it works, and I determine that on an individual basis so I can't really use broad strokes here.

Space Dandy has all of these elements but entirely lacks a story, so its very nature prevents me from considering it a masterpiece.

KLK tells multiple stories simultaneously while destroying (and embracing) many otherwise annoying tropes and blending its symbolism seamlessly with the ludicrous stylistic elements. Basically it combines insane entertainment with enormous depth and everything has a clearly defined and relevant purpose. Oh yeah, I guess that would be a fourth requirement, everything having a purpose.

Psycho-Pass has several instances of cheesy writing and inconsistent focus holding it back.
merryfistmasNov 30, 2015 7:14 PM
Nov 30, 2015 6:58 PM

Mar 2013
One of the best things ever.
FMA - best shonen series ever
Trigun - awesome main character, everything is just to see him
NHK - everyone needs to see this show
Nov 30, 2015 7:05 PM

Apr 2015
A masterpiece would need to have the elements of a good story. Animation can be somewhat piss poor, but have an excellent story, but at the same time, an anime can have some of the best animation offered in this world, but have one of the worst stories ever told and not hold your interest.

Out of that list, a friend of mine says Bakemonkgatari (Flashy and quick). My own pick would be a draw between Death Note and Berserk.
Nov 30, 2015 7:23 PM
Nov 2015
1. Unique Premise
2. Solid Storytelling
3. ???
4. Masterpiece
Nov 30, 2015 7:32 PM

Jun 2015
Shisekai Yori
Nov 30, 2015 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
From the choices I'd choose Shisekai Yori..., but for me; the greatest Masterpieces ever made are Steins; Gate, Code Geass, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Those are my top three anime's when it comes to stories.

But if it regards other genre's I would choose:
Gintama-comedy
Shirobako-Slice of Life
Monster- mystery
Steins; Gate-Sci-Fi
Zankyou no terror- Thriller
Shigatsu-Drama
NameLess_NEETNov 30, 2015 7:41 PM
Jan 5, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
S0rahana said:
From the choices I'd choose Shisekai Yori..., but for me; the greatest Masterpieces ever made are Steins; Gate, Code Geass, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Those are my top three anime's when it comes to stories.

But if it regards other genre's I would choose:
Gintama-comedy
Shirobako-Slice of Life
Monster- mystery
Steins; Gate-Sci-Fi
Zankyou no terror- Thriller
Shigatsu-Drama

In what aspects? Geass was mostly an edgy teeny ripoff of death note, Gintama's just another sitcom, and monster had no mystery or thrill whatsoever.
End Zionazism
Jan 5, 2016 3:49 PM
Aug 2015
My favorite anime are masterpieces.

A so-called 'masterpiece' is only an opinion.
Jan 5, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2012
For me, a masterpiece is very enjoyable and well-executed, has likeable characters, unique storyline and good storytelling.

I rated three of those anime 10 and I chose Death Note because HxH will probably never end and FMAB was in the same choice as AgK and Fairy Tail which I personally dislike.
Jan 5, 2016 4:22 PM

Jan 2011
dtheking said:
My favorite anime are masterpieces.

A so-called 'masterpiece' is only an opinion.

That's "your masterpiece", "a masterpiece" while we can never be fully subjective, some choices are definitely better than others by most opinions/critics. Opinions are subjective but there is an objective side to it which is why we should care about the opinion of critic more than that of a casual, some opinions are simply better explained, better thought out than others.

Oh and respects to OP for the option "FMAB, Akame ga Kill, Big 3, Fairy Tail and the like", some people would be pissed, but I completely agree
Jan 5, 2016 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
To put it simply, an anime that's absolutely perfect with no mistakes. None of my favorites are masterpieces for me.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Dec 2015
JD2411 said:
I judge on a case by case basis. I like all of my 10s for different reasons.

Exactly. Some of my ten's I would consider more 9.somethings.

They each carry their weight on quality for different reasons. Each 10 I rated is completely different from one to another for that reason.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 5, 2016 4:31 PM

Nov 2012
RefractingOne said:
Mikasa said:
LOL

I'm glad he at least put all the trash together in one option instead of making it waste multiple.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What are some kinks anime has awoken inside you?

Thy-Veseveia - 3 hours ago

14 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
46 seconds ago

» Anime you wouldn't watch?

coolyfruity - Jun 15

48 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Today

60 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows?

TheBlockernator - Jun 15

43 by CatSoul »»
33 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

ame - 37 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.