Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 15, 2014 2:20 PM
May 2014
wellthatsucks said:
well, seems like we got ourselves a 2nd revers harem after ouran highschool host club that isnt hated at mal

If you define harem as multiple males surrounding her, then yes it's a harem.
If you define it as 3+ males that want her that way, then no, it most likely isn't a harem.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Oct 15, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2014
Hello! This is my very first post in this forum!

I've read parts of the manga that has been translated.

Here's what I assume would happen n the next three or four episodes.

Episode 3: Little action and some exposition. For those who aren't into shoujo, I think this will be the episode that will turn people off.

Episode 4: Some character development. Still not a lot of action. Politics.

Episode 5: Sh!t just got real!

Episode 6: If the action doesn't happen in episode 5, then it will likely happen here.
Oct 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty good episode.
Oct 15, 2014 3:59 PM

Dec 2013
Decent episode, but too bad there won't be any real bloodshed or gore :(
Oct 15, 2014 4:58 PM

Jul 2008
Liked the glimpses into the future, hoping to see how she got to be like that soon enough, I'm really enjoying the music in this =D
Oct 15, 2014 6:21 PM

Apr 2013
Anon1409 said:
Decent episode, but too bad there won't be any real bloodshed or gore :(

Bloodfest is unnecessary here
Oct 15, 2014 8:25 PM

Jul 2012
this show leaves me so hyped, no lie.

wellthatsucks said:
well, seems like we got ourselves a 2nd revers harem after ouran highschool host club that isnt hated at mal

There's Uta no Prince-sama and Kamigami no Asobi too.
Oct 15, 2014 10:58 PM

Jan 2008
Great episode. This episode showed some awesome action scenes. Fight scenes should be animated like this, and not just implied like in most shoujo stories, erm e.g., Donten ni Warau. My only gripe would be the the sudden jump to their current life. A bit sudden when the next episode preview showed Hak's and Yona's early childhood happy life...I was expecting how they band together after the escape. Not that I complain about knowing more about Hak and Yona, in fact I look forward to it. ^_^
Oct 15, 2014 11:08 PM
Jun 2013
Dammnn!!! they really know how to build up atmosphere! The ost's is so epic!
This is exciting!! Around the end, the ost reminded me of Mulan again - not that i mind..
Oct 16, 2014 2:15 AM
Dec 2013
could be the most underrated anime this season. wasn't expecting much to start with but its been really enjoyable. The drama is there and the characters seem likeable. So far Hak is one of the most likeable MCs ive come across, not much too complain about, if anything. Yona going thru a lot so hopefully her character development isn't rushed. havent read the manga or anything but might pick it up.
mylesperhourOct 16, 2014 2:21 AM
Oct 16, 2014 3:44 AM

Mar 2013
The episode were good except the little ending were they show
the others dragons, it wasnt bad i just dont want them to rush this
that much.

The preview still showing Yona and Hak so Im happy.

why did she cut her hair :(
Oct 16, 2014 4:21 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Episode that convinces me more for now, is the soundtrack.
Narrative a bit more somber and serious, thank goodness I thought I wanted to imitate the beginning of Akame ga Kill! XD
Plot to discover, the time jumps do not get bored watching it as long as the facts linked to it in an optimal way.
The drawings are of good quality, a little less animations, not so smooth.
The opening and ending are acceptable.
Oct 16, 2014 5:36 AM

May 2009
I loved this episode. The soundtrack makes this anime feel really traditional, which I like. I think the opening might reveal too much, but I love the soundtrack of it.
I hope the main character changes a little bit. She seems to change from little princess know-it-all to die-hard fighter. I like.
Looking forward to the next episode.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 16, 2014 5:59 AM

Oct 2013
Wow, that was great. The pacing was flawless, and killing the generic attempts at comedy from the first episode made this very dour but grand. Assuming this isn't a half-assed adaption that attempts to squeeze 24 episodes worth of content into a single cour, this could be fantastic.

Love the soundtrack as well as the traditional feel of the series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 16, 2014 8:39 AM

Dec 2012
Wow that fight had me sent in shivers.
Though I thought the OST right at the start of the episode sounded a bit off, the rest of the episode was good.
Oct 16, 2014 10:08 AM

Dec 2012
decent episode. hak is so cool :D
Oct 16, 2014 10:16 AM

Aug 2013
Nooo, not Min-Soo, he looked so innocent :(
Poor him, no mercy for decoy...

Anyway, they escaped pretty easily. They suck at besieging a castle.

She sure as changed that Yona, from a talentless hime-sama to a rocking archer. Love that short hair too.

Look like the real mastermind behind the regicide is that weird sneaky guy that was behind Soo-Won. But Soo-Won is an asshole. Fuck that guy.

I didn't said it last time, but it's an interesting choice that they used an instrumental song for the OP. I really like it, it's quite unusual these days.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 17, 2014 5:42 AM

Oct 2014
I wished that they could have just crammed this episode in the last one cause the build up to the climactic scene is very unexciting. I seriously don't care for the characters so that scene where Yona almost got her red head chopped off was so boring, the action is the only thing that kept my attention. The info dumping by the antagonist is also unnecessary. Now that the prologue is finally over this show can finally take off. (I hope she'll get more likable I hope right now she's more dansel in distress than an actual rounded character)
My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
Oct 17, 2014 9:26 AM

May 2014
Nice :D I think it's gonna be amazing.
Oct 17, 2014 1:24 PM

Mar 2009
I surely hope that this is 2cour, because this plot pacing is ridiculous.
Did they just DBZ-style recap for 5 minutes? >_>

Otherwise nice fighting, seems to be fluent animation.
Oct 17, 2014 1:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Vudis said:
I surely hope that this is 2cour, because this plot pacing is ridiculous.

Yup, it's two cour. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1278739&show=0
Oct 17, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
Damn Soowon went all out Sasuke mode, still can't really grasp the fact he is evil I mean he seemd so lovable. ._.
Oct 17, 2014 4:46 PM

Feb 2014
I loved this episode! The fight scene was really cool and Hak is such a bad**s! The music was great as well...looking forward to next episode!

Although the timing seems to be a little weird...like, they've shown us in the OP and trailers that Hak gets shot and they also show a bunch of other dudes who seems to have special powers yet they're still in "the past". I dunno. I kind of feel like they're giving too much away...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2014 9:07 PM

May 2011
Does it really time skip? I hope not, I really want to see how she develops and how they run into these new members. Judging by the comments and the preview it looks like they'll continue from the mountains so maybe my fears aren't going to be realized.

Definitely glad I decided to continue watching episode 1.
Oct 17, 2014 11:14 PM

Oct 2011
Min Soo NOOOO T_____T

Can't wait to see the other members.
Oct 17, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2014
Another epic episode, one of my favorites this season so far.

Damn, Yona is voiced by Senjougahara too :O
Oct 18, 2014 8:04 AM

Jan 2014
i do hope we more small glimpses of flashbacks to see how Yona grow into becoming a leader. Cannot wait to get more depth into the characters fighting style, as these small teases were exciting. Again, it would be nice to see how they developed their ability through small doses of flashbacks. Using the OP to show off the group's fighting capability was a nice touch.

Thankfully judging by the preview, things will take off from where they left off in the mountain.

Oct 18, 2014 1:06 PM

Oct 2010
Oh my!
My whole impression of this anime changed after this episode. To be exact after the last scene in this episode. Right now I'm so pumped up for this series and can't wait for all those other characters to show up! (Especially the green haired guy. Oh my, my!)
Oct 18, 2014 3:16 PM

Jul 2009
It got better! now that all those new characters showed up I am sure it will get more interesting...I want to see the face of the one behind the mask!
Oct 18, 2014 3:30 PM

Feb 2013
Not that having overlap between episodes is a bad thing... but... I don't find it to be a particularly good way of telling the story as it was done here. (slows down story progress)
Oct 18, 2014 4:13 PM
Sep 2013
Looks damn promising, kinda reminds me of "The Story of Saiunkoku," which is one of the best, if not the best, shoujo EVER. I don't even mind the full pretty boy male cast, as it does make a whole lot of sense that people of power, especially in combat and the military, would be male.

I also like that the heroine starts out as your typical shoujo heroine but starts to grow stronger through her experiences and situation. Its rare to see a truly strong female character; mostly you get the typical, shitty, "instant awesome," highly improbable action girl and the fanboys and blind feminist latch on to it.
Oct 18, 2014 10:20 PM

Nov 2011
I just kind of picked this up out of boredom but it's actually pretty entertaining.
Oct 18, 2014 11:48 PM

May 2010
So are they in Korea or what?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 19, 2014 12:06 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Confucius said:
So are they in Korea or what?

Hmm well the names are Korean-like in the way they are romanized. Hak's last name "Son" is definitely a Korean last name. But it seems like the setting and clothing is inspired by a mix Korean/Chinese and the mangaka's own fantasy style, if that makes any sense. They're in a fantasy land created by the author anyways :P I wouldn't say it's really fully Korea inspired just because I've never seen anyone wear Yona's type of dress in all of the sageuk dramas I've seen.
Oct 19, 2014 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
I just hope this'll be long enough to be amazing :)
Oct 20, 2014 4:12 AM

Dec 2011
So is there a time skip or not? I hope not, but if not then why the sudden jump forward at the end there?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 20, 2014 4:18 AM

Mar 2008
kuuderes_shadow said:
So is there a time skip or not? I hope not, but if not then why the sudden jump forward at the end there?
I'm guessing it was padding.
Oct 20, 2014 8:25 AM

May 2010
Minsoo's death was painful.. Really felt Yona's emotions there.

She is gonna turn badass soon, can't wait for it.
Oct 20, 2014 3:18 PM

Oct 2011
I'm surprised with how much I like it. hope it gets even better :)
Oct 21, 2014 2:57 AM

Jul 2014
Shoujo with action, yeah! At least let's get moving from your typical high school shoujo anime...this is kinda interesting, although still fall on the same genre.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Oct 22, 2014 8:38 AM

Jul 2008
This show is like Hitsugi no Chaika to me, looks terrible on cover but engaging within :D I enjoyed the present day warriors too, the princess has a powerhouse team :) But I wonder how many of the other 4 generals in the castle are actually on the good side?
Oct 22, 2014 9:45 AM

Dec 2008
Min-soo FTW!! He gave his life for them to escape. My tears...

Soo-Won, that idiot! King Il would have given Yona whatever she wanted, even Soo-Won, if Yona nagged him enough. He could've had the throne and not had to dirty his hands to get it. Dumb ass!!!

Hak... <3 <3 <3

Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 23, 2014 2:36 PM

Jun 2010
blegh this chic is annoying. shout out to that archer who died while in service !!!!
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Oct 25, 2014 4:28 AM
Mar 2012
Thought they'll follow with gradual coming of age story to grow her harem squad. Quite surprised they're going with time skips and nonlinear storytelling, will see if this later on confuses or helps the pacing. The first part filling out Soo Wan's reasons & Hak's whereabouts was good.
How often do we get a 2-cour shoujo with rather nice combat animation, bit of gore, and soldiers splitting in half?
Oct 30, 2014 3:42 PM

Mar 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:

That jump at the end really threw me off.
They are just spoiling things for the sake of it, the OP already made it pretty obvious more characters would join the party but what's even the point of many it this obvious, at least let us have so sort of suprise.
Nov 1, 2014 7:48 PM
Oct 2014
This episode continues the confrontation from the first one. RIP Min-soo - your sacrifice will not go in vain.

Love BA Hak - definitely my favourite character of the series! His words of comfort to Yona too at the end - so appropriate for that moment.

As a manga reader, I didn't mind that brief timeskip at the end. I was thrilled to see those other characters in action even for a short time. Can't wait until we get to see the whole gang finally all assembled!

bonifide said:

Matter of fact they should bring Legend of Basara and let that get a full remake.

I support this 100%! Loved the Basara manga and I want an anime adaptation of the full story this time.

Okashi_sama said:
So Yona is Tigre long lost sister. both red heads with amazing archery skills xD

I had exactly the same thought, lol.
Nov 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
It skipped like 10 episodes of development and spoiled the future the last 3 minutes.
Weird.
Nov 14, 2014 5:46 AM

Oct 2012
Talk about obvious plot twist. It's clear old king didn't killed Soo-won's father. Oh, well.

And they fled from encirclement of those spears and blades? Come on! They've could have killed them should they want to.
(not to mention long pauses of enemy inactivity when hero was talking)

I also didn't like the end part of this, seeing some timeskip and magic, I thought this would be pure "historical" series. Guess I was wrong.
Dec 22, 2014 5:50 AM

Jun 2013
For fuck's sake, Yona has to face the truth head-on rather than behaving like an escapist is what I thought throughout the episode, but then, all of a sudden, we jump to the present without any notice and there she is, all toughened up and raring to go..

So, Kye-soon provided as the distraction for the betrayer to accomplish his task.. Hmm..

Sad shit that there is magic and supernatural elements involved.. :/ Wonder why they felt the need to introduce these
Feb 5, 2015 4:58 PM
Mar 2014
I realy like Hak so cute when he hugged Yono to comfort her. Hak would prob just owned Soo-won in a 1vs1 batle.

Lust_Feb 7, 2015 8:31 AM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2014

270 by eevee-trouble »»
May 5, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.