Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 26, 2013 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nooooo, commander RIP ;___;

Sad funeral is sad. Episode was calm again. Those tears ;.;

May 26, 2013 6:28 AM
Dec 2012
It was a sad episode.
May 26, 2013 6:28 AM
Apr 2013
It's been really sad. I almost started crying when seeing Ridget's tears,
May 26, 2013 6:30 AM

Apr 2008
So as expected the nice old commander bites the bullet.
May 26, 2013 6:30 AM

Dec 2011
but a nice eps btw~

nice art and oppai ~
sakaMay 26, 2013 8:03 PM
May 26, 2013 7:07 AM

Jun 2009
I almost started crying along with Ridget. And poor Amy. ;_;
PerlaNemesisMay 26, 2013 7:31 AM
May 26, 2013 7:31 AM

Sep 2011
Didn't expect him to die honestly since I was expecting one of the other chars to bite the dust first.
May 26, 2013 8:49 AM
Nov 2012
Well, the saddest for me is that even after a beach episode and other stuff like that, the story still is really slow.
sakaMay 26, 2013 1:22 PM
May 26, 2013 9:22 AM

Oct 2009
:*( ... just when Amy and him were becoming friends... sad ep indeed
May 26, 2013 9:54 AM

Feb 2009
Damn it seems Ledo cannot return to the Galaxy Alliance. The Commander is dead and Ridget is now in command of Gargantia, but it seems the other ship captains don't acknowledge her as such (sexism will never die).
May 26, 2013 10:03 AM

Sep 2012
Amy is broken... :(
Looks like Ledo will be killing whalesquids next ep.
onepineMay 26, 2013 10:41 AM
May 26, 2013 10:09 AM

Jan 2010
Nooo!!! Amy!!Ledo!!! why?!!!!!

May 26, 2013 10:26 AM

Apr 2012
It was a sad funeral but an awesome one for that.
May 26, 2013 10:50 AM

Jan 2010
Man, that totally a sad episode. Separation from Amy and Gargantia...Ledo can't go back to Alvalon and this is totally a real Urobuchi's style! Dat feeling!

Amy: "Ano BAKA!"
Yeah...that the sentence I want to heard from moe heroine!

Totally a jackpot of hint Ledo like Amy and Amy like Ledo...=w=...what a youth!
Sayonara Amy......*maybe*,
but how come Ledo skin is whiting back a bit?
sakaMay 26, 2013 1:23 PM

May 26, 2013 10:58 AM

May 2012
Phenomenal episode. The funeral was really well done, props to Production I.G. It was a very sad episode though, but I love how the drama was not overdone and the emotion felt organic. I feel bad for Ledo though, he can never return to the alliance.
May 26, 2013 11:00 AM

Apr 2009
Rigdet was quite something, holing up in her room most of the time, while so many things were going on. At least she didn't made things worse and showed up in front of everyone in the end, not to speak of honouring the deceased fleet marshall.

I have a bad feeling, that Ledo's attack on the Hideauze will cause huge trouble for all the fleets.
May 26, 2013 11:07 AM

Apr 2013
Called it!
(Comments from last ep. in Spoiler)

So now it's time for some Melty x Ledo action, right? She's been all over him since day one, and now she doesn't have Amy as a rival to stop her.

I'm still wondering how the story will play out, since Bellows, Amy, and Ridget are such main characters. It'd be refreshing to see an anime actually let main characters go, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing them again. Maybe even as rivals (though i highly doubt it.) The faces from the previews have me thinking the separated fleet just might get their asses handed to them, and they'll have to come crying back home for some reason or another.

I was half expecting Amy's brother to tell her to go off without him, and have a scene where she did a last minute jump to glide over to the separating fleet to follow Ledo, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. :/
May 26, 2013 11:08 AM

Jan 2011
PoeticJustice said:
Phenomenal episode. The funeral was really well done, props to Production I.G. It was a very sad episode though, but I love how the drama was not overdone and the emotion felt organic. I feel bad for Ledo though, he can never return to the alliance.

Emotional scenes wont work that well when you didn't have any attachment to the characters in question. And so far we haven't seen anything spectacular from the captain. To me he looked like loved but weak leader. Dunno, might just be me, but the show is the greatest letdown for me in recent years. Even greater than SAO, and that's saying much.
Score down to 5/10 and with the 4 episodes that we have left this looks like a lost cause already. What a waste of setting, art, music and VA talent.
AlexGKMay 26, 2013 11:13 AM
May 26, 2013 11:09 AM

Jan 2010
PoeticJustice said:
It could be sad, but think about it. He has no family and no friends as far as we know back at the GA. So the only thing he is missing is that he can't go fight the Hideauze, who for all we know are not the aggressors in the war. In my mind, it's not that bad, except for the never going home part. However, I think he will realize that the GA was probably not a very good home.

Also it has been six months. They have not established contact with the GA, so they do not know if there has been some change in their positioning or the war.
May 26, 2013 11:11 AM

May 2012
AlexGK said:
PoeticJustice said:

Emotional scenes wont work that well when you didn't have any attachment to the characters in question. And so far we haven't seen anything spectacular from the captain. To me he looked like loved but weak leader. Dunno, might just be me, but the show is the greatest letdown for me in recent years. Even greater than SAO, and that's saying much. Score down to 5/10 and with the 4 episodes that we have left this looks like a lost cause already. What a waste of setting, art, music and VA talent.

The show is obviously a Slice of Life story. What did you expect? I knew what I was getting into after episode 3, maybe if you adjusted your expectations a little, you would enjoy it much more. This show may fail as a mecha sci-fi show, but as an SOL, it succeeds in spades.
May 26, 2013 11:11 AM

May 2009
Now we must wait a week
May 26, 2013 11:13 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
PoeticJustice said:

That's exactly how I felt about this anime. The best part about it is the way that everything isn't overdramatic. The funeral scene was beautifully done, accompanied by a sad piano bgm. I have to say, this anime's OST is probably my favorite for the season, even above SnK's, and that's saying a lot since I'm a huge fan of Sawano Hiroyuki's works.

I'm glad Ridget could resolve the issues she had with the other captains that may have wanted to leave the fleet, but it's easy to see why people won't completely trust her since she's so young. And as much as I love this anime, for some reason I just really don't like Amy :/ I wish I could like her. She cries a lot, and I know she really cares (loves?) Ledo, but I guess I was hoping that if she really cared that much, she would try one last time to talk to him instead of asking questions like, "why doesn't he care about himself more?" etc. But it's nice to see that Ledo wants to destroy the whalesquids/Hideauze because he wants to keep Amy safe and not sad, yet he doesn't realize that Amy is sad because he's leaving. D: I'm sure they'll see each other again though.

Hmm...so does this mean we'll never see the Galactic Alliance again? I kind of wanted to see how Avalon looked like. But I'm more excited to see what looks like an underwater city! (btw, I cannot reiterate this enough, but the sceneries are just too beautiful ;_; I'm so jealous of the people in the anime...just look at the night sky full of stars!)
May 26, 2013 11:16 AM

Jan 2011
PoeticJustice said:
AlexGK said:
PoeticJustice said:

Emotional scenes wont work that well when you didn't have any attachment to the characters in question. And so far we haven't seen anything spectacular from the captain. To me he looked like loved but weak leader. Dunno, might just be me, but the show is the greatest letdown for me in recent years. Even greater than SAO, and that's saying much. Score down to 5/10 and with the 4 episodes that we have left this looks like a lost cause already. What a waste of setting, art, music and VA talent.

The show is obviously a Slice of Life story. What did you expect? I knew what I was getting into after episode 3, maybe if you adjusted your expectations a little, you would enjoy it much more. This show may fail as a mecha sci-fi show, but as an SOL, it succeeds in spades.

It fails at storytelling, that's my point. Its nothing even near plausible.
Here is the example from this episode. Ridget to be the new captain, what a joke. 22 years old, and so far acting like absolute moron. Sorry, not buying it.
May 26, 2013 11:19 AM

Aug 2010
Good build up for the inevitable Slaughter in the upcoming eps :P

But yeah I found the emotions depicted pretty nicely this episode.

Loved the funeral scene. Burial under water is a nice way to go :)

I actually didn't expect Amy to stay. I wonder how much til we see her again.

Well nxt ep let the action and urobutchering commence ;D
May 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Aug 2008
she;s young and has time to learn if this let you down and stuff saw animes with younger protagonists which are in lead
i find this anime pretty good so far
well even though mostly expected mecha :D
The spider is watching
May 26, 2013 11:22 AM

May 2012
AlexGK said:
PoeticJustice said:
AlexGK said:
PoeticJustice said:

Here is the example from this episode. Ridget to be the new captain, what a joke. 22 years old, and so far acting like absolute moron. Sorry, not buying it.

But let us look at the story that is supposed to be told here. It is not about the Gargantia, it is about a young boy who only knew war. He comes to a foreign planet and learns what it means to be "human." This is not Battleship. And besides, Ridget will have many people help her along the way, who else was the Commander supposed to nominate? Almost all of her shipmates are old as hell anyway.
May 26, 2013 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
Crazy theory here, but bear with me.

Don't mind me :) *whistles nonchalantly*
May 26, 2013 11:32 AM

May 2012
Spiegelmeister said:

One can only hope....
May 26, 2013 11:33 AM

Mar 2011
AlexGK said:
PoeticJustice said:

Emotional scenes wont work that well when you didn't have any attachment to the characters in question. And so far we haven't seen anything spectacular from the captain. To me he looked like loved but weak leader. Dunno, might just be me, but the show is the greatest letdown for me in recent years. Even greater than SAO, and that's saying much.
Score down to 5/10 and with the 4 episodes that we have left this looks like a lost cause already. What a waste of setting, art, music and VA talent.

SAO is sh1t compared to this.
May 26, 2013 11:46 AM
Oct 2010
evilcyber said:
but a nice eps btw~

nice art and oppai ~

dat ass. love them end cards.
hope pinion dies. douchebag
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 26, 2013 11:58 AM
Oct 2010
Lots of feels in this episode, I thought it was really well done, especially since it didn't have any overbearing crying. I suppose the last few eps are going to be intense since, it's only a 12 ep show.
May 26, 2013 11:59 AM

Dec 2011
Spiegelmeister said:
Called it!
(Comments from last ep. in Spoiler)

I don't think it really split in half. 1 of 6 (I think there are six?) left and a few extra ships went with him. The majority of the major ship owners stayed the course.

May 26, 2013 12:01 PM
Jul 2012
ok I just discovered that melty has the same voice actress as nyaruko from haiyore(noticed this episode while she was speaking)and that according to anime when a ship is moving the background on the night(=stars)moves as if they were clouds(while amy was speaking with her friend about halfway trought the episode)
May 26, 2013 12:07 PM
Oct 2012
AlexGK said:

That was fairly historical actually. In a Feudal Society (which Gargantia looks like with the various entities being independent fiefdoms unified for mutual protection, and the people loyal to their ships) descent is determined by bloodlines (this is also very important in Japan even today). Since Reddit is the only child of the previous ruler of Gargantia (the largest and most powerful of the ships), she would have been the only choice to lead. The previous Captain appears to have been serving in a regent capacity after the father's death, waiting for Reddit to grow up.

There would have been of course the chance of a rebellion or civil war, as perhaps the other captains tried to usurp the throne (that was hinted at when the rebellious chief probed another lord who decided to stay with Reddit - again very Japanese), but throughout the episode I was a bit put off with the threat of break up, because of the external threat of the pirates (who will probably be looking for a bit of revenge, or new plunder after the previous pirate lords demise). That a ship would leave with Ledo providing the defense is far more likely.

Overall good episode, this time the points held together better. Was betting that Bellows was going to go with Ledo and Pinion to provide some fanservice, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Wonder how they are going to provide that in the next 2 episodes.
May 26, 2013 12:10 PM

Apr 2013
Spiegelmeister said:

then amy gets killed and Ledo goes on a rampage against everyone and becomes the only living human left with Bellows and they have to repopulate the earth.. The End.
May 26, 2013 12:23 PM

May 2013
This was a depressing episode.
May 26, 2013 12:25 PM
Aug 2011
Just shut up, shut up Amy. -when she was crying-
You weren't even trying to understand Ledo.

I actually liked the funeral (ah that was awkward to type), the atmosphere when they are each pouring sand into the coffin was just right.
May 26, 2013 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
zeneevee said:

I don't think it really split in half. 1 of 6 (I think there are six?) left and a few extra ships went with him. The majority of the major ship owners stayed the course.

Okay, I agree it wasn't really half, but it was still major enough for a decent chunk of the huge civilization to break off instead of just the one ship and Pinion's crew. Ideology-wise, it definitely seemed like more than half almost felt like leaving over the fact Ridget became captain; they were just smart enough to realize strength in numbers, and have faith in their old captain's decision.

OfficialGuts said:
then amy gets killed and Ledo goes on a rampage against everyone and becomes the only living human left with Bellows and they have to repopulate the earth.. The End.

Hehe I like your thinking. I'll agree with you on Amy and Ledo, but I don't see that happening with Bellows unfortunately. :/
May 26, 2013 12:37 PM

Jul 2012
The funeral is done pretty well. Everything else is okay. Slow, but still kind of interesting.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

May 26, 2013 12:37 PM

Jul 2008
AlexGK said:

It has already been established that Ridget got her position due to practically being royalty. Besides, she has experience in leadership (she was the de-facto leader of Gargantia in earlier episodes) and the people trust her (it is only one ship that left and if the captain wasn't prominent it would have likely stayed there) while none of other Captains tried to claim the position (all of whom have been part of her council while she led in past episodes).

Also, you completely missed Gen's message here: the point is to have a leader who guides those under him, not a Dictator who answer to every problem. And no, leader don't need to "living gods" but people capable of summing the effort of the "team"
May 26, 2013 12:42 PM
Nov 2012
booring.. :p
i was having a feeling from the start that this episode would do nothing else than focuz on funeral and leaving.. but rly.. i hate when such expectations is not twisted in any way at all.. if you had the feeling of what was gonna happen and always was right then animes would forever be boring.. rly i h8 to watch such episodes.. at least let something unexpected happen. >.<
May 26, 2013 12:44 PM

Jan 2011
Looks like there will be fighting and some unexpected developments next episode.
VioLinkMay 26, 2013 2:55 PM
[center]
May 26, 2013 12:44 PM

Dec 2012
This anime always gives me a relaxing feeling while watching. The bgm during the Captain's funeral is very nice. I want it XD

Takuan_Soho said:
That was fairly historical actually. In a Feudal Society (which Gargantia looks like with the various entities being independent fiefdoms unified for mutual protection, and the people loyal to their ships) descent is determined by bloodlines (this is also very important in Japan even today). Since Reddit is the only child of the previous ruler of Gargantia (the largest and most powerful of the ships), she would have been the only choice to lead. The previous Captain appears to have been serving in a regent capacity after the father's death, waiting for Reddit to grow up.

Indeed Gargantia's political structure is similar to Japan's Feudal Era or European's Middle Age where the bulk of power rests with the nation states. A king, or in Japan's case a Shogunate, held onto power based on allegiance of lessor lords. Not until the Tokugawa Shogunate that central power were concentrated, and the Shogunate started to have truly absolute power.

Gargantia is a floating nation where each ship collective is ruled by its own captain. There are currently 7 ship collectives, 6 after this episode. Even though Ridgett has bloodline claim, she cannot replace the deceased ruler without the support of other captains. That's why her speech to solidify support at the funeral is very important.

As for Ledo, Amy has been crying because of him in 2 episodes already.

Ledo Baka indeed :(
May 26, 2013 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Very slow paced episode.
May 26, 2013 1:05 PM

Nov 2011
Go Melty! Now's your chance!

I hope we'll see some Ledo x Melty interactions on the separated fleet.

It was a good ep, slow, sad, but good. I can't wait for the scavenging part and discovering treasures and learning more about the past. I think Chamber's gonna be awesome with that huge mace/halberd hybrid ;)

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
May 26, 2013 1:18 PM

Apr 2011
It was a good and a sad episode.

Amy was so sad, and now she and Ledo are not going to see each other for some time.
May 26, 2013 1:25 PM
May 2013
parfaited said:
Just shut up, shut up Amy. -when she was crying-
You weren't even trying to understand Ledo.

I actually liked the funeral (ah that was awkward to type), the atmosphere when they are each pouring sand into the coffin was just right.

And did he try to understand her either? Seriously, what are you expecting from her? I think its a part of this show: Amy and Ledo wants to protect eachother, although the path they choose are coliding. The culture differences always will be in the way, but I think it will be settled somehow. So if you wanna blame Amy for not trying to understand Ledo, you should also blame him for not trying to understand her as well. And episode was very good, I felt the atmosphere of this funreal. Its interesting that they showed rituals of the Gargantia- beside language it makes this anime a little more beliveable :'D.
AND NO MELTYxLEDO PLEASE! DON`T LET IT BE HAREM ANIMEE
May 26, 2013 1:25 PM

Jan 2011
PoeticJustice said:
But let us look at the story that is supposed to be told here. It is not about the Gargantia, it is about a young boy who only knew war. He comes to a foreign planet and learns what it means to be "human." This is not Battleship. And besides, Ridget will have many people help her along the way, who else was the Commander supposed to nominate? Almost all of her shipmates are old as hell anyway.

Fine, call it wrong setting for that kind of story then.
Icebreaker93 said:

SAO is sh1t compared to this.

Well, lets say its just me then.
May 26, 2013 1:27 PM

Nov 2012
Wow, well the Ledo-Amy fans must be upset. They didn't even show a goodbye hug or deep moment between the two before he left and after all that fanservice, that's the least they could've done but nope. There he goes. At least Melty will get a shot now.

Guess they tried to get us to feel for Ridget here seeing how much hate she was getting in the last episode. I don't really care for her either way. She hasn't proved to be worthless, but she's not as efficient as I expect a leader to be. And the Fleet Commander wasn't all that amazing either. I don't see the reason for any hype and or depression to occur because of his depth, but I suppose he meant a lot to his people.

Overall, I feel as if things are progressing too slowly. There's still so much we don't know about the Alliance- and it seems like we never will since the SOS signal itself will take over 6,000 years to reach.

And it's cute and all that Ledo's doing this with an emotional passion now (in protecting Amy from feeling that sadness) but I really don't care. It sounds harsh and I do like this series very much, but the whole thing is starting to make me just not care. I don't feel any attachment or empathy towards most of the characters, the art work's still great, but there's no real underlying plot that we can fall back on. Things just seem to be happening in this detached, emotionless manner and everyone goes along with it. I guess this is what happens when you have too many writers.
SpiraiMay 26, 2013 1:35 PM
May 26, 2013 1:34 PM

Oct 2010
Episode wasnt sad as it tried to be. All they really want to do is to control my boy if he didnt have that mech they could gives a rats ass if he left. Ridgett probably the biggest hypocrite in the show. So far this probably the worst episode. Amy knew ledo for 6 months and crying. Yet she aint fucking crying about one of her best friends leaving give me a break.

4/10
bonifideMay 26, 2013 1:37 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.