Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel when your "taste" in anime is criticized?/ Do you criticize others' anime "taste"?

New
Sep 26, 2012 9:19 AM

Jul 2010
I'm really interested to see, in a right up front way, what the MAL forum community's thoughts are on this topic.

On this site, I often see people either being bashed or praised for the taste. Generally, if the "taste" agrees with the person doing the criticism, they will speak highly of it. Especially - though not always - (from my observations of MAL) if this taste includes Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tatami Galaxy, or some of ABe's work. If the taste includes moe or harem (especially they KEY works) or the long-running shounen shows, it is often criticized. These are just my observations of the MAL community.

Of course, there are exceptions. One case isn't always the same as another. I just wanted to know, from you all as MAL users, what you think of anime "taste" being criticized from one user to another?
Or, do you criticize others' tastes? Why?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 26, 2012 9:23 AM

Jun 2012
It hurts my feelings when people criticize my taste.

Seriously though I don't criticize anyone because everyone has different tastes so its pointless. Whenever I see it happening I just get annoyed.
Sep 26, 2012 9:32 AM

Sep 2011
Everyone has their own opinions, they can say what they want, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

I don't remember ever getting "criticized" but if I did, WELL FK YOU. LOL
Sep 26, 2012 9:35 AM

Nov 2010
I don't think anyone has criticized my taste, it's pretty hard because I like every genre except for horror and gore.
If I go into someones profile check their list, and see that they have rated all of the anime that I like as 6s or some other low score or rant on their profile about genres that I like. Then I take it as they have bad taste, but if I'm talking to them I don't treat them any different, but try to talk about anime that we both like.

And on a forum I wouldn't pick at their likes, unless it disproves what they are stating in the forum.

And when I see people who try to say that since someone likes a certain anime then their opinion means nothing, then I get annoyed.
Sep 26, 2012 9:36 AM

Nov 2011
Well, to each his own.

I don't find any reason to feel agitated or angry if someone hates/dislikes an anime I like.

People have different opinions and I simply accept that.
Sep 26, 2012 9:41 AM

Sep 2012
If someone calls a show I really like crap even though they never gave it a shot then that will annoy me. But other then that if they've watched it and they still think it's crap then that's their own opinion.
Sep 26, 2012 9:51 AM

Nov 2011
a bit annoyed, but nothing serious. It seems people love to rant about the score I gave strike witches.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 26, 2012 10:18 AM
Feb 2012
I've had it happen few times...but I just don't give a damn anyways and laugh it off or ignore it....if someone has a problem with my tastes it doesn't effect me in any way. Plus it's pointless arguing over the net.
People can say wut they like~

Though the amount of people I seen whining on MAL about stuff like that is high...I do find it pretty funny reading though lol.
Sep 26, 2012 10:51 AM
Jun 2012
i don't care if someone criticize my taste. i don't criticize people for their taste and i am actually glad that people have different taste so they can make me recommendations when i want to try new stuff.
Sep 26, 2012 11:24 AM

Aug 2009
Valkyrie_Wings said:
I'm really interested to see, in a right up front way, what the MAL forum community's thoughts are on this topic.

On this site, I often see people either being bashed or praised for the taste. Generally, if the "taste" agrees with the person doing the criticism, they will speak highly of it. Especially - though not always - (from my observations of MAL) if this taste includes Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tatami Galaxy, or some of ABe's work. If the taste includes moe or harem (especially they KEY works) or the long-running shounen shows, it is often criticized. These are just my observations of the MAL community.

Of course, there are exceptions. One case isn't always the same as another. I just wanted to know, from you all as MAL users, what you think of anime "taste" being criticized from one user to another?

To each their own.I could care less what others think of my tastes in anime and I could care what others taste in anime are.
Sep 26, 2012 11:36 AM
Nov 2010
"How do you feel when your "taste" in anime is criticized?"
Sep 26, 2012 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think arguing over taste is pointless at all. Even though taste is subjective, and one persons taste cannot be better than someone else's, it can certainly be more developed. I think it's quite possible to suggest that people with more developed tastes tend to look for different things in anime than those with undeveloped tastes (whether, or not, these things are more legitimate is up to you). By developed I mean exposure to many different genres/approaches, some understanding of how storytelling works and cliches vs. creativity, those sorts of things. That's an oversimplification, but hopefully it makes sense.

This isn't even a remotely contentious idea in the music/literature communities, not sure why it should be in the anime community either.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 26, 2012 11:49 AM
Feb 2012
I don't criticize anime taste at all. I feel as if you can like what you like and whatever catches you the most, that's just who you are as a person and you don't have to change it.

I don't like it when others criticize others' taste because in my eyes, it just seems as if it's almost a crime to like some stuff. This is why I'm not comfortable talking about anime with a huge majority of the site because honestly, a lot of them seem that way. Of course that's just how I make things out, but I can't do anything about this =/

I've been labeled soft before because of what my taste is and honestly, I just take it. I'm a sensitive soul and that's how it is. I don't care though, that's just me and I can't change myself :)

Just read my introduction on my profile and you will see though, I'm extremely open-minded in what I watch.
Sep 26, 2012 12:00 PM

Sep 2012
When someone questions my taste in anything, I explain to them how sad I am that they will never experience the joy I did from whatever it was.
Sep 26, 2012 12:06 PM

Mar 2008
If it's someone I know in real-life, I usually mess with them and criticize their taste also.

If it's someone on the internet, they usually go ignored...although this really just depends on how it's said.
Sep 26, 2012 12:07 PM

Oct 2008
Doflamingo45 said:
If someone calls a show I really like crap even though they never gave it a shot then that will annoy me. But other then that if they've watched it and they still think it's crap then that's their own opinion.

^ I agree.
Especially people who prejudge an anime because of it's artstyle or because of how old it is are really annoying.
Also, I don't mind if anyone criticizes my tastes, because I know I'm right and they're dumbasses lol. Though I don't think I've ever been criticized for my taste before.
Sep 26, 2012 12:12 PM
Sep 2012
I just wanted to know, from you all as MAL users, what you think of anime "taste" being criticized from one user to another?

C'est la vie. It happens. Its human nature to make judgements on people for even the most trivial of details from all aspects of one's life. Dont let it bother you. Opinions (and tastes in anime) are like ass-holes. Everybody has one.

Yes, but Im usually polite and keep it to myself. I may be a giant ass, but I do have tact. As for the why, see above. Its just human nature. If you are one of the few people in the world with such an amazing moral compass that you can get by without ever judging somebody for thier own discisions or opinions, then good on you. Keep on spreading that feel-good juju all other the place!
Sep 26, 2012 12:18 PM

Feb 2012
Post-Josh said:

This isn't even a remotely contentious idea in the music/literature communities, not sure why it should be in the anime community either.

Because people can't handle being criticized these days. Also, people in the music/literature communities can be extremely pretentious.

I kind of agree with you that taste can be more developed and isn't pointless to discuss, especially if the discussion is friendly and open minded, but it is annoying when people go around blatantly bashing other peoples tastes because they think they are better than you.

I personally don't think I have ever bashed people for their tastes online, though I do often scoff at people in my head from time to time (just a bad habit). Likewise, I don't think I've ever been criticized for my tastes in anime, but I have been criticized for liking dubs (though I definitely don't want to start that conversation here).
Sep 26, 2012 12:27 PM

Apr 2010
I think I make fun of my own taste more than anyone else does.
Sep 26, 2012 1:07 PM

Mar 2012
Shane777 said:
Because people can't handle being criticized these days. Also, people in the music/literature communities can be extremely pretentious.

I kind of agree with you that taste can be more developed and isn't pointless to discuss, especially if the discussion is friendly and open minded, but it is annoying when people go around blatantly bashing other peoples tastes because they think they are better than you.

I personally don't think I have ever bashed people for their tastes online, though I do often scoff at people in my head from time to time (just a bad habit). Likewise, I don't think I've ever been criticized for my tastes in anime, but I have been criticized for liking dubs (though I definitely don't want to start that conversation here).

They can be, or they can also just be educated.

I agree that groundless bashing is annoying, but I also find it annoying when people try to defend certain things, like the scripts of SAO, or Tari Tari, for instance. You almost have to have to not opened a book in your life to think it's well written, which is what I would refer to as criminally underdeveloped taste. My head screams "NOOOO", but I don't go out of my way to attack people for liking them, because there could be other legitimate reasons.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 26, 2012 1:20 PM

Feb 2012
Post-Josh said:

They can be, or they can also just be educated.

I agree that groundless bashing is annoying, but I also find it annoying when people try to defend certain things, like the scripts of SAO, or Tari Tari, for instance. You almost have to have to not opened a book in your life to think it's well written, which is what I would refer to as criminally underdeveloped taste. My head screams "NOOOO", but I don't go out of my way to attack people for liking them, because there could be other legitimate reasons.

Lol. Of course, over the top, evidence-less defense of something is just as bad as senseless bashing. That's why I said discussions need to be open minded.
Sep 26, 2012 1:20 PM

Jan 2012
I won't lie, sometimes I make a judgment on the persons taste if I look at their list. But that is only in my head. I don't go and bash the person, nor do I go and praise them either. I just simply go back to whatever I was doing before hand.

And, I haven't been bashed/criticized on my taste just yet. If I was mindlessly bashed, I won't pay any mind. I like what I like.
Sep 26, 2012 1:59 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I feel like

Seriously, I don't care if someone criticizes my taste (though it's perfect and absolute so why would you anyways). I don't criticize because it's pointless.
Sep 26, 2012 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
When my "taste" in anime gets criticized........well,criticized isn't the right word.Bashed is.Because criticism is trying to be helpful,random bashing is just mindless hating.
Anyway,when my "taste" gets bashed,I just say,"Yeah,well fuck you too.Have a good day." and move on with my life.
And I'm not some loser who bashes people's taste in anime & I don't know enough to criticizes people's tastes in anime.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Sep 26, 2012 2:28 PM

Aug 2012
I criticize others' tastes more than they criticize mine. But when they criticize me I don't really care. I watch what I want to watch.
Sep 26, 2012 2:32 PM

Jul 2012
I subconsciously criticize others for liking overrated anime like SAO or Clannad. I don't really go and tell them about it but I just think it immediately when I see them give 10/10s for those kinds of shows.
Sep 26, 2012 2:42 PM

Aug 2009
My taste varies depending on my mood, but I think the main thing that people would bash me about is my love of horrible 80's and 90's OVA's. If your talking about entertainment it doesn't get much better than that, despite the pointless violent, nudity horrible characters and convoluted plots.

I also find it kind of stupid when people give out 10's to everything or think that one series is absolutely the best (not just their opinion) Theres no way that everyone can agree on a "best" series. If I do criticize people I try to keep it civil if I think the person can be reasoned with and if not I just keep it to myself >_>

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 26, 2012 4:42 PM

Sep 2011
Mostly I don't really care but if it's really invalid or something stupid, I'll counter it.

Sep 26, 2012 4:56 PM

Jul 2010
Shane777 said:
Post-Josh said:

Oh my gosh, you watch....and like DUBS???? They are so mainstream and the acting is just awful. Dubbed anime isn't even anime anymore. I don't see how any real anime fan can watch dubs. Your taste is terrible. You aren't a real fan.
/end

Seriously, though, I agree with you (and the person who first posted this idea) that discussing preferences of anime can be interesting and beneficial. Actually, I dislike even using the word "taste" in terms of anime, because it just makes me think of all of the aspects in the internet anime community that really annoy me.
And you sure are right that no one likes to be criticized.
Sep 26, 2012 5:45 PM

Sep 2011
I don't know if I've ever been criticized for my taste in anime, but if I were, I'd probably just ignore the person. I watch what I watch because I enjoy it. If that means I have bad taste, so be it. If my taste is going to change, it's not going to be because someone told me to. I'm also not going to try and argue my preferences.

I'd never seriously criticize someone for their taste in anime either. I avoid talking to people who dislike nearly all of my favorite anime, but that's the extent of it. I'm not going to mention it if they do talk to me.
Sep 26, 2012 6:38 PM
Sep 2007
Post-Josh said:
Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think arguing over taste is pointless at all. Even though taste is subjective, and one persons taste cannot be better than someone else's, it can certainly be more developed. I think it's quite possible to suggest that people with more developed tastes tend to look for different things in anime than those with undeveloped tastes (whether, or not, these things are more legitimate is up to you). By developed I mean exposure to many different genres/approaches, some understanding of how storytelling works and cliches vs. creativity, those sorts of things. That's an oversimplification, but hopefully it makes sense.

Best post in the entire thread so far.

If someone can criticize my "tastes" and force me to re-evaluate or look deeper into the reasons why I like or dislike something, then that's pretty amazing. For example, the only reason I post in the "Comment on the above user's list" thread (something that thrives on criticizing or praising someone's tastes) is to see what qualms people have with my ratings, have a discussion with them, and hopefully reach some sort of agreement or understanding. It definitely made me change my thoughts a little concerning Clannad and Death Note. When talking about people's tastes, it doesn't really matter what they like, but why they like it.
Sep 26, 2012 7:27 PM
Sep 2012
I become self-conscious when people insult that I enjoyed something- not that it offends me much when they simply insult that thing, but when it's made to be an offensive remark to degrade my enjoyment, that's just low and insulting. I mean, I enjoy light-hearted anime more than deep anime not because I'm simple, but because anime is not a way of life for me, it's a means of entertainment and an escape from the real world troubles.

I have no reason to criticize others for their tastes, so that answers the second part.
Sep 26, 2012 7:38 PM

Mar 2012
The only people that insult my taste are people with awful taste (ie the ignorant Narutards that can't accept my K-On score). I usually only insult people's taste if they insult mine. I've got friends with bad taste but I don't insult them for it. They're still nice people. They wouldn't insult my taste and I wouldn't insult theirs.

I had a funny occurence where a guy angrily called me a faggot, said I had anger issues and blocked me from responding. He insulted my taste after I made a few humorous comments about Naruto that he took way too seriously. He laughed at how anyone could possibly enjoy Clannad. I then decided to raise some more valid points (Well more valid than his) regarding Naruto. I commented on his profile since he was interrupting a thread. And he responded saying that I don't have any right to insult Naruto because I kind of enjoy a 'flaw market' like Sword Art Online. So he posted this angry message on my profile (Which you can still see on my profile) and then blocked me from responding by making his profile friends only. What a wonderful debater!

Also, I must note that he is one of those really annoying haters of Sword Art Online. The ones who think it's one of the worst things ever just because it's the most popular show on at the moment. I admit that it's not all that great and it is a little overrated but it is by no means an abomination.
Sep 26, 2012 7:43 PM

Aug 2012
HATUL300 said:
Doflamingo45 said:

Also, I don't mind if anyone criticizes my tastes, because I know I'm right and they're dumbasses lol. Though I don't think I've ever been criticized for my taste before.

The irony!!! :)
Sep 26, 2012 7:45 PM

Aug 2011
I wouldn't take any criticism of my favourite anime seriously because all my favourites are super special awesome. But when it happens, I get mad and rage inwardly.

And yes, I do criticize others' tastes, but only if they dislike an anime that I really like for a flawed reason and then I feel obliged to correct them. If someone likes an anime I deem bad I kinda just get this condescending type of attitude in my head.
Sep 26, 2012 7:46 PM
Jul 2012
Z-flame said:
"How do you feel when your "taste" in anime is criticized?"
haha funny campione is awesome
Sep 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Jun 2012
I don't really care. I disagree heavily with most people's taste on this forum. For example, High School DxD and Tari Tari are two of my favorite anime, but most people here dislike both. I just ignore them and tell them to go back to the SAO forum.
Sep 26, 2012 7:48 PM
Sep 2011
Eh. I already know my taste in anime sucks so I don't let it get to me. I don't criticize other people's tastes, but it does get annoying to have people screaming at me "How can you not like "X-Popular Anime!? It's SO AMAZING!"

It's especially stupid when people pull that defense mechanism crap where they have to attack something you like just because you don't like what they do.
Sep 26, 2012 7:49 PM

Jan 2012
I don't really give a shit, I mean who cares what people think? If you're gonna get all butt hurt about it, you just need to get off the internet, cause people are always gonna hate.

Trust me, I always bash on others, it's funny.
Sep 26, 2012 8:08 PM

Jun 2012
i criticize dubtards
i criticize hentai watchers
i criticize harem watchers

i don't think anyones actually criticized my taste since i watch pretty much every demographic and every genre
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Sep 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Apr 2012
I don't have a specific taste to begin with so... No, I don't criticize others' tastes and i've never been criticized in return. But lately I occasionally get the urge to mindlessly bash people who like crappy harem shows and long-running shounen fanboys (Mirai nikki, Guilty crown..etc included)
Oh and also yaoi fangirls. Didn't act on that urge yet though
Sep 26, 2012 8:51 PM
Jun 2012
Don't care.

Sword Art Online sucks
Steins;Gate sucks
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann sucks
Bakemonoshitari sucks
Durarara!! sucks
Angel Beats sucks
Soul Eater sucks
One Piece sucks

Anyone who has a problem with my statements can suck an egg fresh from a chicken's ass.
Sep 26, 2012 8:56 PM

Mar 2009
I don't care. I like what I like and even if people love a show that I really thought was terrible, it doesn't matter to me.
Sep 26, 2012 9:35 PM

Jul 2007
How do I feel? It's the internet. Half of everyone here loves your tastes and respects you for it and the other half thinks you're a loser who wouldn't know good if it smacked you upside your head. That's how I feel.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 26, 2012 9:49 PM

Jul 2012
Deziah said:
Don't care.

Sword Art Online sucks
Steins;Gate sucks
Bakemonoshitari sucks
Durarara!! sucks
Angel Beats sucks
Soul Eater sucks
One Piece sucks

Anyone who has a problem with my statements can suck an egg fresh from a chicken's ass.

You're not a very fun person, are you?
Sep 26, 2012 10:16 PM
Jun 2012
h4x_the_zombie said:
Deziah said:
Don't care.

Sword Art Online sucks
Steins;Gate sucks
Bakemonoshitari sucks
Durarara!! sucks
Angel Beats sucks
Soul Eater sucks
One Piece sucks

You're not a very fun person, are you?

Trivial and asinine question. If you came to the conclusion that I'm not a very "fun" person based off of that one post, I feel sorry for all the brain cells you killed while struggling to comprehend everything you read on the internet.
Sep 26, 2012 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
picklesnickels said:
I especially get it with Naruto....by people who never opened the manga

Most people insult it because they don't like the anime. I don't think people who hate the anime would even want to open the manga.
Sep 26, 2012 10:59 PM
Feb 2012
it doesn't matter to me what other people like, whether its anime taste or anime at all. anime doesn't come up often in everyday conversation, so I've never had anyone criticize my anime taste or know enough about anime to say anything about it. I probably wouldn't care if I was criticized for liking certain anime.
Sep 27, 2012 2:00 AM

Jun 2012
no i PIMP SLAP EM'

Sep 27, 2012 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
It doesn't bother me at all. People have different tastes. I don't think I have ever criticized someones taste before.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

6 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 4 hours ago

19 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» Saddest Anime Character Deaths

Henrique-Senpai - 4 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

18 by ArpitPatel »»
12 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 8 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.