Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 10, 10:37 AM

Nov 2011
Mystery of the bread lol

I wonder if it's part of this series' gimmick and its obsession with food. Ofc, they threw Kobato straight into the mystery again. He has to use observation skills while getting into debates with the other students. No matter what, it seems Kobato can't ever escape the hastle of being thrown into cases. Kinda wish they had more variety in these type of cases though.
Aug 10, 11:25 AM
Feb 2024
Poor Osanai has really been done dirty these past few episodes 😂
Her bike
Her pastries
And now she ate a pastry and got a mouthful of Habanero sauce 🤣
She can’t catch a break. Overall it was a lighthearted mystery, I rather enjoyed this episode. Sweet (or spicy) and all resolved quickly. I hope Osanai ate enough sweets to make up for it.
Aug 10, 11:42 AM

Jun 2021
My heart brims with anticipation at the thought of seeing Urino-kun once more. Perhaps in the next season, he will grace us with his presence again?
Aug 10, 11:51 AM

Feb 2015
I guessed what happened as soon as Kengo explained the situation. Not that I didn't enjoy the drama but this episode seemed less interesting than the last few. Maybe because Osanai wasn't really part of it this time? Plus I want to see her supposed "real self."

Also, I got the impression she told Jougo she was going to the sweets place so he could join her there. How long did this whole inquiry take?
Censorship is vandalism.
Aug 10, 11:56 AM
Jul 2023
Lol, classic Osanai the devourer behavior.

Wonder how this will effect her quest to track down her current “victims”.
Aug 10, 12:00 PM
Jul 2024
Another food mystery. But our girl got left out!
Aug 10, 12:02 PM

Feb 2019
Can’t believe I just sat thru an entire episode about who ate a damn pastry and enjoyed every moment of it. As usual the studio made the episode very engaging and a nice twist at the end. The answer was right in front of us the whole time 😂 Osanai can’t catch a break man. If she’s not getting her stuff stolen and being victim blamed, she’s eating Habanero flavoured pastries.

Lot of misdirects and set ups potentially more complicated answers, but as occam’s razor dictates, the easiest answer is often the correct one
Marinate1016Aug 10, 12:24 PM
Aug 10, 12:04 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Hm it was okay. Thats it.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Aug 10, 12:20 PM
Feb 2021
The solution was there all along lol
Good fun but is this show a slow burner that will eventually erupt or will it just carry on like this?
Aug 10, 12:40 PM
Sep 2015
Seba-kun seems like a nice guy, and he doesn't even have a single dialogue.
Aug 10, 12:48 PM

Mar 2021
Being Osanai is suffering.

Pure cinema. This show is so relaxing and yet engrossing
Aug 10, 1:07 PM

Nov 2013
Lol, entire episode on that??? Yet another mundane mystery (like Cacao one).

This time it was way too obvious there was a 5th pastry and Osanai ate it.

Once again Osanai is super unlucky!
Aug 10, 1:55 PM

Jul 2017
This episode's mystery admittedly was far too obvious after the first couple minutes to be honest, plus Osanai being separated from the actual mystery discussions and evaluation and having it be Kengo/Jogoro (and others like in this episode) is far less interesting of a dynamic to watch. I didn't mind the cocoa episode but this one did bore me admittedly since the setup was obvious, delivery was a bit dry too the whole time. Only thing else to say is Osanai just can't catch a break with how unlucky she is, even if this was more of her own doing this time around by sneakily trying to eat one of those pastries there.
Aug 10, 2:36 PM

Oct 2017
It was Osanai lolz! Was obvious it was gonna be a fifth person and not one of the four. I thought the prez ate one before leaving at first but didn't seem like it later. The case and deduction were somewhat boring and lacking this time. He could have just asked the home ec club guy to confirm how many pastry there were but he didn't for some reason and was guessing/deducing it but the last scene made it worth it, poor Osanai.
Aug 10, 3:32 PM

Aug 2021
another 20 minute yap session
Aug 10, 3:33 PM

Jan 2008
Game of logic for most of this episode. Didn't know why they seemed to gloss over the reason for Osanai crying at the start, which I was far more curious about. Who bullied Osanai!? 😡 The girl has gone through more than enough BS as it is. ...is what my thoughts were. Then they revealed what happened and how someone could have easily made that mistake if the table had been arranged that way...man, poor Osanai. She has rotten luck. My initial guess at who the culprits were: Sebas, the home ec-dude with the knife, or the fat guy.
Aug 10, 3:43 PM

Nov 2016
Those we're the saddest looking berliner I've ever seen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 10, 4:22 PM

Jun 2023
Poor Osanai, she’s perpetually unlucky.
Aug 10, 5:59 PM

Jun 2019
Is Osanai diabetic? Girl eats a lot of cake.
Aug 10, 6:33 PM

Aug 2020
Oh!! The answer was right in the beginning of the episode hahahah I can't believe it! I really appreciated this mystery... really thought provoking. I also find the design beautiful, especially of the female characters. Nice episode.

Aug 10, 7:28 PM
May 2022
author be like: if there is not mistery, create one and solve 👍
My mal account is not working properly. In the last 24 hours, there isn't showing any forum discussion.  What should I do?! 
Aug 10, 7:57 PM

Dec 2015
Berliner Pfannekuchen?? That's literally a jelly filled donut 😂😂 Never heard them being referred to as Pfannekuchen before, we just call them Berliner or Kreppel in Germany lol

Little sad to see that the story didn't continue with hunting down the ppl who got Osanai wet last episode, but this was a super wholesome and a nicely self contained episode, so I cannot complain!

Kinda proud of myself that I figured out who ate the spiked donut as soon as Kobato mentioned that somebody must have snuk in to eat it. I immediately was like ahhh that's why Osanai was crying, she must have been undercover to get her hands on that Berliner and ended up with the spiked one instead. Poor girl, I hope her trust in jelly filled donuts can be regained 😂
Aug 10, 8:00 PM

Dec 2015
Reply to crazyanderewitch
Poor Osanai has really been done dirty these past few episodes 😂
Her bike
Her pastries
And now she ate a pastry and got a mouthful of Habanero sauce 🤣
She can’t catch a break. Overall it was a lighthearted mystery, I rather enjoyed this episode. Sweet (or spicy) and all resolved quickly. I hope Osanai ate enough sweets to make up for it.
@crazyanderewitch when you put that way, one can really only feel sorry for her ☹️ I hope her string of unlucky incidents comes to an end soon 😅
Aug 10, 8:09 PM

Apr 2022
every week it's more kengo with jogoro instead of osanai ffs, their dynamic does not interest me as much as with osanai.
Aug 10, 11:04 PM

Nov 2023
When they said that they were playing a game with a single tampered pastry yet no one got it, I jokingly said that Osanai ate it.
But as the episode continued, I was more and more certain that that was the case, and in the end it was confirmed.
Some would say that the episode was boring because the solution to the mystery was obvious, but I tend to disagree.
I would argue that this is the dual of the cocoa episode, in the sense that the mysteries are similar, yet the feeling is different.
They both have low stakes, take place in a single room and are introduced and solved in one episode (and also involve food).
The major difference is that this one can be solved in minutes, but I would not have guessed the answer to the cocoa problem.
I personally find it interesting that we got both perspectives and I enjoyed both for different reasons.
I agree that it's more engaging to solve the mystery with the characters, but it's also fun proving that my suspicion is correct.
Ultimately, I still believe that the cocoa episode has the best mystery so far, but the Berliner Pfannkuchen mystery is a close second.
Aug 10, 11:22 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to bassyey
Is Osanai diabetic? Girl eats a lot of cake.
@bassyey she's young, she can get away with it for a couple more years at least
Cool beauty, world class genius, unbeatable charm!

I'm unstoppable!
Aug 11, 3:01 AM
May 2021
What a plot twist at the end, nicely foreshadowed at the beginning too.

Jougoru continues his behaviour of solving mysteries even if they involve the most ordinary things, this is the second time he does this with food. Going against his promise, He just can't help himself can he?

And again in this episode, The plot has mystery suspense and a surprise/plot twist even in the most ordinary things like food. Which helps develop the themes.

This episode was more plot driven so not much happened with characterisation, but there is this canted frame and a straight on angle with Jougoru, which could symbolise his inner conflict with being ordinary while on a narrative level he is just solving another mystery as shown in the dialogue. Also love this theme that plays whenever they are working through a mystery, combining it with the visuals really adds suspense.
X__Pluto__XAug 11, 3:37 AM
Aug 11, 3:18 AM
Sep 2009
Reply to animejas
This episode's mystery admittedly was far too obvious after the first couple minutes to be honest, plus Osanai being separated from the actual mystery discussions and evaluation and having it be Kengo/Jogoro (and others like in this episode) is far less interesting of a dynamic to watch. I didn't mind the cocoa episode but this one did bore me admittedly since the setup was obvious, delivery was a bit dry too the whole time. Only thing else to say is Osanai just can't catch a break with how unlucky she is, even if this was more of her own doing this time around by sneakily trying to eat one of those pastries there.
@animejas I don't think she sneakily ate it. I think it was because the basket was next to the plate and on the basket was written that those filling the interviews could take some of the sweets. So she might have thought the plate was also included.
Aug 11, 3:31 AM

May 2020
In hindsight, all of the mysteries yet have something to do with food lol. Not that it's making them less enjoyable xD
Aug 11, 3:37 AM
May 2021
X__Pluto__X said:
What a plot twist at the end, nicely foreshadowed at the beginning too.

Jougoru continues his behaviour of solving mysteries even if they involve the most ordinary things, this is the second time he does this with food. Going against his promise, He just can't help himself can he?

And again in this episode, The plot has mystery suspense and a surprise/plot twist even in the most ordinary things like food. Which helps develop the themes.

This episode was more plot driven so not much happened with characterisation, but there is this canted frame and a straight on angle with Jougoru, which could his inner conflict with being ordinary while on a narrative level he is just solving another mystery as shown in the dialogue. Also love this theme that plays whenever they are working through a mystery, combining it with the visuals really adds suspense.

There's also another impressive shot in which the clock in the room is the focus of the frame, and it is reflecting the characters, not sure if it symbolises anything here.
Aug 11, 4:42 AM

Oct 2016
Oh my God lmao.

I only realized it was Osanai when Jogoro went through the survey forms, I should have seen it coming earlier, the mention of the Guidance Office threw me off. I thought this might just be a light case before we get to Osanai's issue, damn it.

Please leave Osanai alone, the Gods are really testing her patience. It's like they want her to go ape shit lmao, but she deserves those plate of sweets at the end.

Then there's Jogoro happily accepting any investigating work with a smile.
Aug 11, 5:23 AM

Jul 2017
Berlin's famous baked pastry of a Berliner Pfannkuchen, Kengo and the gang of Monchi, Makishima and Itsukaichi wants to play a dare game between 4 child-size cupcakes of which 1 had mustard in it whilst filled with jam, they need to know who consumed the pastries before them, and the one who got the mustard must write an article for the newspaper club. The truth, however, has the 4 of them at loggerheads, and Kobato is called in to assess the case from all lengths, even to the Home Ec club where president Seba is also allegedly involved in the case, of which he fills the club in to fill one of the Berliners with something spicy, like habanero sauce.

Using a lick test to determine the tastebuds of all, Kengo and the others defintely felt the intense heat in that, but if the newspaper club didn't get the spiked pastry apart from Seba getting it for the club as an apology for his concert, the timeline only makes sense to piece together the sequence of events, which is plausible that no one had the spiked pastry from the start, even to the thinking of it being spiked with mustard. That turns the attention to the sole member who did not participate: Urino, though he's innocent on that regard, and it could be the fact that someone swiped the pastries with the additional one for Urino (which meant there's 5 to begin with). But going back to the placements of the things on the table. it's now possible that someone else took the pastries, and it HAD to be Osanai who got the spiked pastry.

Oh man, how unlucky can Osanai get...it's no wonder she was crying in tears over the spicy spiked pastry.
Aug 11, 5:29 AM
Oct 2018
The mystery wasn’t bad, but I wish there was some time at the end showing them at the sweets cafe talking about what happened.

When the best character in the series is only on screen for 30 seconds, I can’t give it 5 stars.
Aug 11, 6:16 AM
Oct 2019
Bro really need to start his own private investigator office for sure.

Osanai got the one with Habanero sauce. LMAO
That's hilarious plot twist.
Aug 11, 7:44 AM

Jul 2023
This parallels episode 2. I was expecting a nice follow-up to episode 4, but it seems that Osanai took care of it offscreen, which is why she got summoned to the Guidance Office.
Aug 11, 8:24 AM

Dec 2021
We've gotten tea, strawberry tarts, and now a doughnut. What's next, ice cream? Lol.

Poor Osanai though. She always comes back in the end to be the unlucky one xD

Aug 11, 8:55 AM

Sep 2017
Funny. They set the answer up right at the beginning. We assumed she was upset from the teachers being cunts again, but she really just ate a spicy ass pastry lmao.
Aug 11, 11:50 AM
Mar 2018
This episode was a lot of fun! It reminded me of a time in school when a friend pranked me with a pepper-laced Paris-Brest and I never noticed.

I'm embarassed by how long it took me to solve the mystery, but I'm glad I was still able to do it before they gave us the solution. Poor Osanai! x)
Aug 11, 1:05 PM
Jul 2021
I laughed my ass off, same as Kobato-kun. Osanai-chan really had some bad luck right there. 🤣
They really threw us off with that Guidance Counselor.
Aug 11, 1:26 PM
May 2024
this mystery was the easiest to solve so far, i guessed it pretty much immediately, but honestly I didn't mind, i really like the vibe of this anime and even knowing the solution didn't take much away from the enjoyment
Aug 11, 2:29 PM
Aug 2024
i dont really know whats going on in the anime,him solving little problems with some no good calculations and playing boss all over it
Aug 11, 2:44 PM

Jul 2014
It's hard to get overly engaged in a mystery that basically none of the characters involved are really all that fussed about solving.
Aug 11, 6:33 PM
May 2024
😴😴😴😪

Stopping here, one of the worst of the season. Good luck to anyone who's going to be watching this.
Aug 11, 6:51 PM

Jul 2022
I can't believe this hahahahahaha I didn't think I'd end up laughing at this xDDDDDDD
Aug 11, 8:14 PM

May 2019
Eh, this episode was ok as it another independent mystery that ended up being a misunderstanding. Osanai ate the spicy pastry because it was inadvertently left next to the sweets with the note that said feel free to take as a show of gratitude for bringing in the surveys. I thought they would've moved on to something bigger or investigated the couple from the last episode where Osanai got accidently hit with water.
Aug 11, 9:28 PM

Jul 2022
As always, Kobato gets caught up in some mystery, and, as usual, bad things happen to Osanai, but this time it's her fault for being a glutton, haha.
Aug 11, 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
Tiap episode anime ini bikin gw terkesima sama alurnya yang bener2 di bikin sangat rapih, dari sini gw tau kenapa penulisnya punya penghargaan "Mystery Writers of Japan Award"
Aug 11, 10:33 PM

Jul 2024
The mystery was solved as soon as I saw osanai san crying and the newspaper club members asking help with their problem about the German pastries...

Do any of you know which real life city is this anime set in?
Aug 12, 9:04 AM
Oct 2020
Ok, so Osanai ate them. Seriously though she just can't catch a break huh.

I figured there was a 5th pastry but missed the possibility of Osanai being the one to eat it.
Aug 12, 12:18 PM
May 2013
i feel like they could've at least googled what berliners look like
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 14

159 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 3

67 by Erebus25 »»
Oct 16, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24

62 by Shikkakku »»
Oct 14, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 6

209 by KankerHenk »»
Sep 29, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7

86 by ForeverTraitor »»
Sep 28, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.