Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
AbemaTV streamed this today.

Osani should be more careful of her properties such as her bike. Getting it stolen was careless although it seems she has a plan to get it back.

Having Dojiuma added to the mix this episode is an interesting factor although his observation skills aren't that impressive. Still, episode gave a nice glimpse of how Osani reacts to events such as being the victim of theft.
Stark700Aug 3, 10:15 AM
Aug 3, 11:22 AM
Feb 2024
I love that they don’t dump character information on us, but rather slowly let it come to light over the course of the series. We saw a little more of the type of character Osanai is/used to be in the later half of the last episode, but even more in this one. I would like to see more surrounding what happened, but considering how that makes the story more appealing I’m content with the pacing.
Sakagami’s sure making poor life choices, huh? Though he did get caught in the end, as was to be expected. It’s impressive that Jogoro was able to properly deduce the reasoning behind the events. You can really see the authorship of Honobu Yonezawa shine through here, it’s beautiful and nostalgic because of Hyouka.
The bit at the end did make me laugh a little bit. JUST when he reassured her that they could change at their own pace something had to test her patience. πŸ˜‚ poor girl. First the strawberry tarts and then getting water thrown over her because of someone else. She can’t catch a break
Aug 3, 11:27 AM

Dec 2021
I see now why they say 'TRY' to be ordinary. These two are anything but, considering how well they put the dots together. Except for Kengo. He's really just there this episode lol. Still find it hard to believe these two are 15, considering the way they talk.

Found this case better than the whole thing with the cocoa. That solves the strawberry tart case ig. Who knows if these two were being serious about solving that case in the cafe, with Osanai getting water spilled on her. Poor girl.

Aug 3, 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
One thing I can confirm from this episode. Osanai has a fking bad luck. From the stolen bicycle to that famous strawberry tart, to the water splashing incident from this episode.
btw, the actual location of the driving school is Mitahora Driving School
AkeZZZAug 3, 11:35 AM
δ½•γγ‚ŒοΌŸζ„ε‘³εˆ†γ‹γ‚“γͺい
Aug 3, 11:38 AM

Feb 2019
Missed this last week! Been going over theories in my head ever since trying to figure out who the hell Sakagami is and what his motive for taking Osanai’s bike was. I never would’ve got ANYWHERE near the answer man Kobato is a pure genius for coming up with a name, age, location AND motive all from bread crumbs of info that we had. And props to the author for being able to write all this stuff, it’s so far over my head lmao.

This is like Batman solving a case man wow. Deducing his age, location and motives for getting a license holy shit. Finding out that he was getting manipulated by other people. Connecting Iokibe to it all just based on the idea that the person would have a weird name.. like jeez man we need to bring this dude in to solve murders. Wasting his talent in Gifu lol.

Kengo’s sister remembering a random dude’s birthday was also crazy. Something in that Gifu water, lol.

Feel a little bad for Iokibe getting roped up in all of this. Wrong place at the wrong time and bad circumstances and all that. But with the 5 high school kids getting arrested for fraud, that should make the town a little safer.

I don’t think there’s any such thing as ordinary for Kobato and Osanai, one case ends and another begins all because Osanai got splashed with water. She just can’t catch a break lmao

Good episode!
Marinate1016Aug 3, 12:10 PM
Aug 3, 11:45 AM
Jul 2023
She really did it! she really crushed those who wronged her, making them pay for their crimes by ruining their future. Now, she’s on her next target.

I adore and fear her, truly.
Aug 3, 11:52 AM
Jan 2023
Well,well,well Looking forward to seeing Osanai unleash her inner wolf
Aug 3, 12:30 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to crazyanderewitch
I love that they don’t dump character information on us, but rather slowly let it come to light over the course of the series. We saw a little more of the type of character Osanai is/used to be in the later half of the last episode, but even more in this one. I would like to see more surrounding what happened, but considering how that makes the story more appealing I’m content with the pacing.
Sakagami’s sure making poor life choices, huh? Though he did get caught in the end, as was to be expected. It’s impressive that Jogoro was able to properly deduce the reasoning behind the events. You can really see the authorship of Honobu Yonezawa shine through here, it’s beautiful and nostalgic because of Hyouka.
The bit at the end did make me laugh a little bit. JUST when he reassured her that they could change at their own pace something had to test her patience. πŸ˜‚ poor girl. First the strawberry tarts and then getting water thrown over her because of someone else. She can’t catch a break
@crazyanderewitch She doesn't need to solve THAT case, he deduced that one right away with seeing the passkey to the Love Hotel. ROFLMAO
Aug 3, 1:27 PM
Oct 2020
Osanai just trying to live life but I don't think she can hold her anger with all this bs happening to her. Like just leave her alone and let her eat her sweets peacefully
Aug 3, 1:38 PM

Mar 2020
Yuki just cannot catch a break huh? If she ever beats someone up, that'd be glorious, and hilarious to watch. Life just makes it hard for her and Jougorou to be "ordinary". Bad luck and mystery just follow them around.
Aug 3, 1:41 PM
Mar 2020
way too many leaps in logic with this show. before anyone asks which I'll just detail 1: the guy could've chosen that driving school bcus the other one full. seriously all of the deductions were flawed but just happened to be right bcus ofcourse they were. same with previous episodes and the choco scene. the guy said that all 3 had to be nice Coco's since the kengo guy picked last, however, people obviously pick the glass in front of them. also in this episode the calculation of 8% is only valid if they are independent probabilities which they most definitely are not.

just not well thought out tbh
Aug 3, 1:58 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Yeah i think it was average.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Aug 3, 2:19 PM
Dec 2022
Y'all see Osanai Yuki? Fear her!!!!!!! That Maki persona was cute and adorable but when Jogoro was explaining her "other" side, I felt literal chills, man. Yet another awesome episode.
Aug 3, 3:17 PM

Nov 2023
I expected a twist, but nothing really happened. In the end, they're just two snitches stirring up trouble. I'll keep watching, hoping something truly interesting happens.
Aug 3, 3:18 PM

Feb 2015
Reply to Mainnus
She really did it! she really crushed those who wronged her, making them pay for their crimes by ruining their future. Now, she’s on her next target.

I adore and fear her, truly.
@Mainnus Agreed, she's perfect.
Censorship is vandalism.
Aug 3, 3:42 PM
Jul 2021
Thankfully less stupid episode. They actually got the criminals arrested. It’s stupid the show contrived that to be somehow bad. But at least Kobato spouted less nonsense this time. Crossing my fingers the next eps will be more like this and less stupid slave mentality nonsense
Aug 3, 3:44 PM

Jun 2023
Osanai’s on her villain arc with all that’s happened to her
Aug 3, 4:08 PM
Aug 2018
Ahaha this was so anticlimactic it's almost funny.
Instead of just reporting the boy for bike theft and giving him a criminal record, the dramatic beat-to-pulp punishment is.. to report him for another crime and give him a criminal record.

But it's a beautiful show and VA is pleasant, so let's watch some more.
Aug 3, 4:18 PM

Nov 2013
Damn... Angry Osanai would rip out a dude's windpipe?

I was fearing something edgy would happen since last episode ended. Glad it turned out well and she didn't go full Lycoris Recoil on several older and larger guys and still win in a fight. Had a sigh of relief there.

Anyways, as someone mentioned here, I'm quite annoyed those two want to be normal despite being so smart. Can't they think of ways to blend in WITHOUT sticking out but at the same time staying themselves? Why insult own intelligence and be like masses?
Aug 3, 5:03 PM

Sep 2021
Nice episode. Glad the authorities arrested the criminals. But it turns out that there's something shady is still going on? Hmmm
Aug 3, 5:25 PM

Jan 2008
Identity fraud, huh. Didn't see that coming. It's amazing how much information can be gleaned from so little (circumstantial) evidence. To nail him, they'd need more solid proof of evidence (which they later got, thanks to Osanai's photo and anonymous tip). Since they were reselling tickets at an inflated price under a forged ID, that means they're illegal scalpers, scum of the earth (not that all scalpers aren't scum)...I'm glad they got them in the end.

I don't care if Sakagami was just a pawn. He still stole Osanai's bike, trashed it, and the most egregious of all, ruined two of her limited strawberry tarts that most likely cost a pretty penny. He got what he deserved now having a criminal record. Good luck finding a job beyond minimum wage, let alone getting into college. He ruined his own life; he has no one to blame but himself.

Jogoro should seriously consider joining the police academy after high school and becoming a real police detective. Or maybe start his own private practice, looking for lost cats to revealing cheating cases of infidelity. It's a waste of his extraordinary talents, just to try and be "ordinary".

If Jogoro is a clever fox, Osanai is an aggressive wolf, an apex predator. Nice. Interesting to hear just how much vindication a shorty like her can have. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Twin sister "Maki"...lol, yeah right. Kengo was in disbelief. I'm now very curious to see flashbacks of their middle school days, probably beating the hell out of people who wronged Osanai.

Osanai sure has rotten luck, at the end there. F the both of that couple behind them, who were in their own little world. Go, Osanai, seek vengeance! Ruin their marriage(s)! I even loved the way she calmly got out of her chair. It's always the quiet ones you have to look out for.
Estoy_GordoAug 3, 6:56 PM
Aug 3, 5:48 PM
May 2024
Another very boring episode, I'm going to try to watch this until the end because there are only 10 episodes (thankfully), If it were more than 10 I would give up. My god, what a boring anime, and I like slow anime, but this one just doesn't have any shine or anything interesting going on.
Aug 3, 5:53 PM

Apr 2022
well this is the only episode i wasn't a big fan of, mostly because it's more of just kengo making a duo when i prefer osanai. her twin twist though lmao.
Aug 3, 6:00 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Enjoyed the artwork as usual. The deduction process was interesting. The main leads are getting somewhat more enjoyable.
For me, this episode was much better than the first 3 so still riding this train down the tracks. 6/10
Aug 3, 7:12 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
Damn... Angry Osanai would rip out a dude's windpipe?

I was fearing something edgy would happen since last episode ended. Glad it turned out well and she didn't go full Lycoris Recoil on several older and larger guys and still win in a fight. Had a sigh of relief there.

Anyways, as someone mentioned here, I'm quite annoyed those two want to be normal despite being so smart. Can't they think of ways to blend in WITHOUT sticking out but at the same time staying themselves? Why insult own intelligence and be like masses?
@Sigmar-Unberogen because their emotional intelligence is lacking in place of their practical intelligence. They're a bunch of thinkers trying to act like feelers pretty much
Cool beauty, world class genius, unbeatable charm!

I'm unstoppable!
Aug 3, 7:53 PM
Mar 2015
They just can't help solving mysteries
Aug 3, 8:37 PM

May 2019
So with the tart incident having been atoned for now Osanai finds herself splashed with water presumably by a jealous wife/girlfriend due to the love hotel lighter (I think it's a lighter) that the guy used lol. I wonder how far Osanai will go if she and Kobato end up pursing them...
Aug 3, 8:43 PM

Jul 2017
Kobato, with the help of Kengo, presumes Sakagami's alibi to obtain a driving license as not just a way to gain the ability to drive and also for verification, it could something more behind it, such as the driving school that he went too, which conspicuously is out of the way from the school they attended, and the age limit of high schoolers when they're able to obtain one. Save for Sakagami who stole Osanai's bike the prior day, it could be coincidental, or in this case, most likely intentional and suspicious, almost to the sense of forgery and stealing, that he's only part of a big plot. Bring back Osanai's bike, the strawberry tart, and her subtlety, it was the missing link that caused her to not be ordinary, as much as Kobato tries to be one at the same time as well. Kengo's only the really ordinary one, though he manages to help Kobato link the missing dots.

With all of the clues, Kobato and Kengo goes underway to the driving school that Sakagami frequents...and the chance coincidence of Osanai disguising as his twin sister Yuki stalking Sakagami to the same place, just because she unsent a photo that he thought was suspicious. Turns out, it was just really a coincidence of Sakagami wanting to obtain a license, but that he has to use Iokibe's name to enroll him into the school, which ultimately got him and some others arrested.

The case got resolved in a good way, but Osanai being splashed water because of a couple's affair ruse, this opens up another case for them to solve...being ordinary.

Kobato's got to be really lucky or just cursed sticking with Osanai...
Aug 3, 8:47 PM
Jan 2021
The show is well made. but the stories are ok at best so far. lots of leaps in logic for these deductions.
Aug 3, 9:58 PM

Apr 2014
"I decided I would become an ordinary person"

says the short skinny teenage girl about to eat five fairly sizable pancakes in one sitting. Like m'am the contents of that plate are larger than your head, that aint normal
Aug 3, 10:55 PM
Jun 2024
if i was a fox she was a wolf
Aug 3, 11:20 PM
Jul 2021
rating drop because it's boring.
Aug 4, 12:47 AM

Oct 2016
Bro, if Jogoro can relapse and play detective on all these cases, I am gonna need to see Osanai relapse as well and beat the ever living fuck out of someone, unless Jogoro's being metaphorical.

Honestly, there was a part of me that wanted Jogoro and Kengo to catch Osanai beating Sakagami or someone else from their squad up.

They couldn't wait another week until someone pissed Osanai off again lmao
Aug 4, 1:35 AM

May 2020
Ordinary people simply leave it up to others when it comes to dealing with such an unoridinary group of individuals. Which these two didn't, so yeah, start with that and then maybe you'd be able to become O-R-D-I-N-A-R-Y.

Btw, I hope Kengo didn't believe that twin lie lol.
Aug 4, 3:37 AM
Sep 2021
This is nowhere near Hyouka (for the same amount of eps) in establishing mystery intrigue and characterization, but I think it's still good enough to follow till the end of the season. Around 7.5-8/10 so far for me.

Osanai is practically Ibara but she tries to tame herself
Kobato is nowhere as interesting as Hotarou or Satoshi however

Also, Kengo is also pretty boring unlike Satoshi. I mean Hyouka pretty much nailed it with 2 girls x 2 boys dynamic right from the get-go, I don't think the current trio has that good of a chemistry yet, and we're already 4 eps in.
VMPLAug 4, 3:42 AM
Aug 4, 6:56 AM
Oct 2019
Now i understand why they trying to become "Ordinary", he is HIM and she is HER!!
Aug 4, 7:09 AM
May 2021
Another episode, another mystery to solve with more suspense and stakes being added, with more of these external plot events where abnormal events keep happening to the two protagonists and challenge them externally and internally.

In the last episode we saw the hidden deeper side of jougoru's personality with his inner conflict, backstory and motivations and the being more clear, and in terms of character, this episode did the same for Osanai, who appears to be facing a more serious and dangerous inner conflict as shown from the dialogue by Jougoru, there is also a shot where the upper portion of her face is out of frame, which could be emphasising the intense feelings and emotions that she tries to hide, and this medium length shot with a wide lens and a high depth of field makes her stand out in the foreground and look big compared to the Jougoru and Dojima in the background, emphasising her inner conflict and how potentially dangerous it is compared to the other two. There's also the scene when Dojima, having doubts about her true nature, asks her if she really is Osanai, the One he knows only from outside.

Given all of this, I can see potential for Osanai playing a bigger role in the plot, definitely looking forward to see more of her next week.
Aug 4, 7:14 AM
Mar 2018
Visually, there wasn't much to this episode, mostly just a classroom in the half-light of the afternoon. The reasoning was sometimes enjoyable, although there were some leaps in logic that left me feeling not super satisfied.

What's more, I don't understand how reporting a crime is supposed to be Osanai going back to her "wolf" ways of getting revenge? It's really not. Reporting someone for identity theft is good, actually.

All in all, this one is the first wonky installment of the show IMO.
Aug 4, 8:09 AM
Feb 2021
The mistery was finally solved.
Aug 4, 11:07 AM

Aug 2020
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I'm quite annoyed those two want to be normal despite being so smart. Can't they think of ways to blend in WITHOUT sticking out but at the same time staying themselves? Why insult own intelligence and be like masses?

it's quite painful, to be smart and act like a fool (and the world's designed almost entirely for fools, alas).
it's always about the honour: too painful to live like that.
so their way of thinking is much more wise: becoming "ordinary" TO FORGET ABOUT THIS COMPLETELY, — and living a happy life...

(except they're smart enough to understand, they can do nothing about their nature)

teraphIl1000 said:
All in all, this one is the first wonky installment of the show IMO.

yeah, this time it was pretty far-fetched... although i adore this show wholeheartedly; such a lovely "romance"
kebenajAug 4, 11:25 AM
Aug 4, 11:52 AM

Aug 2020
Kudos to Kobato for being able to pull that explanation so well... Doujima was puzzled as I was there initially. I can understand Osanai going after them lol I would throw the coffee back in impulse

Aug 4, 12:24 PM

Dec 2015
A lot less violence than I expected in this episode, but I'm happy that Osanai got her revenge!! I already had a feeling she was a wolf in sheep's clothing, but it's nice to finally have ot confirmed. πŸ˜ƒ Remind me to never get on Osanai's bad side, let alone spill water on her and not apologize πŸ˜… I hope we get to see what happens to that couple next episode, would be a shame no to continue following this incident ☹️
Aug 4, 1:43 PM

Jul 2022
Well, at least Sakagami paid for what he did, but I'm disappointed. I expected Osanai to shed blood in his revenge. It's clear that these guys, no matter how much they want a peaceful and normal life, will always have something that forces them to not have it.
Aug 4, 5:06 PM
Jul 2019
Boring exposition with numbers and ratios and percentages that are actually just meaningless non-sense
Aug 4, 9:01 PM

Apr 2021
This show has a lot of potential, but I think its pace is a little too slow. I found myself falling asleep on the investigative part.

Maybe it was just this episode, because I enjoyed the other investigative parts in the previous 3 episodes.

Still, that artistic choice of showing people in places that they are not as they talk, is really just distracting, not interesting or enjoyable.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Aug 5, 7:51 AM

Jul 2023
Some questions were answered here and some are not.

I like how the background music made a huge difference in our experience.

They skipped showing what happened to the gang (just newspaper clips) as though they're not really important.

Looks like a new mystery starting next episode.
Aug 5, 2:52 PM
Jan 2018
gonna keep watching it but I really hope it delves further into actual character development or romance because the stakes just aren’t there in the mysteries. Hyouka didn’t really have stakes either but somehow managed to be charming enough - not sure what this one is missing.
Aug 5, 4:53 PM

Aug 2022
- The part when it was calculated how much Kengo was suspicious of Sakagami felt like Kobato grandstanding. Can't blame Kengo for calling Kobato "a little shit."

- "[She's] getting close to some dangerous people. And they are, no doubt, men." Out of context, this line sounds kind of sexist.

- I'm glad Kengo stalled Kobato's wisenheimer act in the classroom by doing the logical thing and asked his sister for actual information.

- The "dangerous people" Kobato described turns out to be little more than petty scalpers. If this was another show, I would have been massively disappointed at the reveal. But knowing how low stakes this series actually is, I'll let it slide.

- I really wonder how deep is the "darkness" within Osanai. Was she worse than a typical juvenile delinquent in her past years?
Aug 7, 10:27 AM
May 2020
Reply to Theanimeman9
way too many leaps in logic with this show. before anyone asks which I'll just detail 1: the guy could've chosen that driving school bcus the other one full. seriously all of the deductions were flawed but just happened to be right bcus ofcourse they were. same with previous episodes and the choco scene. the guy said that all 3 had to be nice Coco's since the kengo guy picked last, however, people obviously pick the glass in front of them. also in this episode the calculation of 8% is only valid if they are independent probabilities which they most definitely are not.

just not well thought out tbh
@Theanimeman9 "the because the other one is full reasoning is basically weaker than the ones they posed since again they have "No clue that may be use as objective factor that leads to that conclusion". Where as to what the logic they went with is more based on the things they got in there hands.
And with the cup thing. I'll just say I have scene a particular episode in Kamonohashi forbidden detectives and it gave a lot of why people won't just get the cup right in front of them and why "if the one that is handing the cup in a specific way will just settle on the notion that people will just pick the cup that is right in front of them" Like what Kengo does not know if the two has a specific favorite color and they might pick the cup base on the cup color etc. etc.

The punchline of the choco episode was they fell into the hole of assuming too much big brain move from Kengo. That is why it ended with that they wouldn't have to go all those mental gymnastics if they bother to read the Milk box.
Also the whole probability calculation is but away for the MC to convince Kengo by guaging how suspicious he is in the scenarios the MC purposefully asked Kengo. Basically the MC rigged that whole segment to end on a value that Kengo finds the whole thing Sus. Which Kengo caught on after the calculation which is why he said a snide remark about the MC being sly.
That segment was only basing on Kengo's "individual opinion". Since the point of that is about the MC convincing Kengo to pursue the case with him. Since they really haven't arrive at anything solid during that segment to go on to.
Sonson7Aug 7, 10:31 AM
Aug 7, 10:38 AM
May 2020
Reply to VMPL
This is nowhere near Hyouka (for the same amount of eps) in establishing mystery intrigue and characterization, but I think it's still good enough to follow till the end of the season. Around 7.5-8/10 so far for me.

Osanai is practically Ibara but she tries to tame herself
Kobato is nowhere as interesting as Hotarou or Satoshi however

Also, Kengo is also pretty boring unlike Satoshi. I mean Hyouka pretty much nailed it with 2 girls x 2 boys dynamic right from the get-go, I don't think the current trio has that good of a chemistry yet, and we're already 4 eps in.
@VMPL this is more so because Shoushimin has more of open plot than Hyouka and is less confined in terms of setting compared to Hyouka.
Hyouka was centered mostly at the school and the literature club and the things they do outside the school is still something related to the school or their club.

Shoushimin is more builds the characters and set what the story is about by more so random things that can happen that will cause the characters to act.
it is more so the author trying his stuff on settings he couldn't explore with Hyouka's premise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 14

159 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24

62 by Shikkakku »»
Oct 14, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10

83 by Nikoru14 »»
Oct 8, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 6

209 by KankerHenk »»
Sep 29, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7

86 by ForeverTraitor »»
Sep 28, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.