Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?

New
Jun 30, 12:08 AM
Jun 2024
Just as the title says. I would be interested to see what the best anime database site thinks of his work and studio. Fire away.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 30, 12:09 AM

Feb 2020
Kinda mixed feelings about Miyazaki, but Tonari no Totoro is my favorite Ghibli movie.

SerafosJun 30, 5:47 AM
Jun 30, 12:11 AM

Dec 2021
The best thing he did that I've watched was the second half of Lupin III Part 1. Nearly every episode without his involvement was mid, and basically every episode he touched was better than even the best episodes I've seen of Part 2 and Part 3. Otherwise, I don't really care for the stuff he was credited for. Cagliostro no Shiro wasn't my favorite, I have no idea what episodes of Part 2 he worked on, and I don't really feel a need to watch any Ghibli movies, though I watched Aya to Majo, which was mid.
Daviljoe193Jun 30, 12:34 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 30, 12:17 AM

Sep 2020
I love Studio Ghibli and their works.
Jun 30, 12:26 AM

May 2024
I've never liked Ghibli, and Miyazaki's just a butthurt old man from what I've seen. Can't take him seriously.
Jun 30, 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
I like their films but Miyazaki seems like a very unlikeable person irl. He also holds the "east = bad guys therefore racism" opinion on The Lord of the Rings and as a Tolkien autist I can't respect that. Still I'm seperating the art from the artist because his films are good.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 30, 12:42 AM

Oct 2013
Nothing beyond the feeling that people maybe give the guy a bit too much praise. To the point where it can seem a little too close to worship. Maybe that’s just me.
Jun 30, 12:45 AM

Apr 2012
I've never been convinced by the strand of thought that they're the greatest, but they're obviously good. Mostly their older work, Nausicaa and Totoro are my favourite Miyazaki films.
Jun 30, 12:51 AM

Sep 2016
Miyazaki seems overhated for saying a few controversial things, I prefer judging people on their achievements rather than what they say.

Ghibli seems overhated for their modest family entertainment and because of Miyazaki.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 30, 1:05 AM

Nov 2021
His movies are indeed very good, the peak of anime in cinema and one of the best visual storytelling I've seen come from ghibli studio. Totoro, spirited away and tale of princess kaguya are some of my most favourite work from him.
Jun 30, 1:23 AM

Jan 2021
Watched only 2 ghibly movies Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away, the former wasn't really anything special the latter was good but very underwhelming. That experience made me discouraged from starting the other ghibli movies.

For Miyazaki, i don't know the full aspects & context of his various sayings, but he seems like a very shitty person.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 30, 1:30 AM

Sep 2018
It's an example of "even if something doesn't seem for you, keep trying and you might find unexpected surprises". Still not a fan of most of Ghibli's classics, my top 3:

1. Kaguya-hime
2. Omoide no Marnie
3. Pom Poko

EDIT: I just noticed than none of those 3 were directed by Hayao Miyazaki... probably not a coincidence.
NirinboJun 30, 12:00 PM
Jun 30, 1:53 AM

Apr 2020
I haven't watched anything of Ghibli, but Miyazaki is just an arrogant and bitter oldman in my eyes and the whole incident with his son made my impression about him even worse.
Jun 30, 2:05 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to pk8list
I haven't watched anything of Ghibli, but Miyazaki is just an arrogant and bitter oldman in my eyes and the whole incident with his son made my impression about him even worse.
@pk8list Most of the old people acts like that it's not that big if a deal lol.
Jun 30, 2:25 AM

Feb 2024
his works are awesome but the man himself..... to put it lightly.... he's a twat
Jun 30, 3:44 AM

Sep 2013
Even though I only like 2~3 movies from Ghibli, I respect them.

And Miyazaki? I like his meme, it always gets me.
Jun 30, 4:07 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to ZXEAN
@pk8list Most of the old people acts like that it's not that big if a deal lol.
@ZXEAN I mean you are right. It's mostly the last incident with his son that left a bad taste in my mouth when I saw it it is what it is, I guess.
Jun 30, 4:26 AM

Aug 2012
I like both quite a lot. Many of their movies are fantastic for families and kids and have been very influential in the histiry of anime. While I do think a few thinks Miyazaki has commented on were a bit much, that should not warrant the amount of hate he's been getting in recent years.
Jun 30, 5:44 AM

Jun 2022
Ghibli is a good studio, but, not unlike Gainax, has been mismanaged. H. Miyazaki got too pretentious in his later years, but he can make good films. That said, my favorite Ghibli films are not ones by H. Miyazaki.
Jun 30, 6:01 AM

May 2019
I absolutely hate Hayao Miyazaki but i respect and admire his art and craftsmanship.
Jun 30, 6:01 AM

Jul 2015
I think he has his personal touch in the anime medium. You will like some and dislike some. Overall he's a solid director and his creations speaks a lot about him. Personally, though I appreciat what he has done, i still haven't seen everything he directed but from what i've seen, it's good & solid.
Jun 30, 6:32 AM

Feb 2019
I like most of Miyazaki & Ghibli's works. I highly respect & admire his craft & works of art. He is a pioneer in the industry & definitely deserved the recognition & esteem he has garnered throughout his career. You can really see the passion he & his team has poured into their films. They all retain a lasting quality that still feels fresh & unique to this day. I have yet to find an anime feels remotely similar to something out of a Ghibli production.
Jun 30, 6:39 AM

May 2018
Pretty pictures with mediocre stories. Bland fairy tales. Nothing too special.
Miyazaki himself is an asshole in real life. He has superiority complex and treats people around him like trash. Including his own son.
Lupin III (1972) is the only thing I respect which he toook part in.
Nemo_NiemandJun 30, 6:48 AM

Jun 30, 6:57 AM

Oct 2018
Miyazaki is one of the best directors in the cinema history, but obviously the average otaku who hasn't watched more than 10 movies won't understand it.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 30, 7:05 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to nishant0
His movies are indeed very good, the peak of anime in cinema and one of the best visual storytelling I've seen come from ghibli studio. Totoro, spirited away and tale of princess kaguya are some of my most favourite work from him.
@nishant0

Princess Kaguya was directed by Isao Takahata, not Miyazaki. Get your facts straight.
Jun 30, 7:21 AM

Aug 2017
I feel blessed to have seen their work and would not trade it for anything else.
Jun 30, 7:28 AM

May 2021
I like his work, but I’m not the Ghibli fan I was when I was younger and none of it is really like peak in my eyes you know?

my favourites are Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky—both of which I consider to be really great movies that I’ve rewatched quite a few times
Jun 30, 7:43 AM

Sep 2020
i like studio ghibli and hayao miyazaki, the ghibli movies are so comforting to watch
Jun 30, 8:07 AM

Nov 2021
Reply to JoeChip
@nishant0

Princess Kaguya was directed by Isao Takahata, not Miyazaki. Get your facts straight.
@JoeChip yeah, my bad. I should’ve said my favourite Ghibli movies
Jun 30, 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
Not sure about Hayao Miyazaki himself, I don't look up stuff regarding him. As for Ghibli films, nothing they've made in the past two decades have interested me.
Jun 30, 8:46 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Daviljoe193
The best thing he did that I've watched was the second half of Lupin III Part 1. Nearly every episode without his involvement was mid, and basically every episode he touched was better than even the best episodes I've seen of Part 2 and Part 3. Otherwise, I don't really care for the stuff he was credited for. Cagliostro no Shiro wasn't my favorite, I have no idea what episodes of Part 2 he worked on, and I don't really feel a need to watch any Ghibli movies, though I watched Aya to Majo, which was mid.
Daviljoe193 said:
I watched Aya to Majo, which was mid.

How did you decide to watch that one?
その目だれの目?
Jun 30, 9:03 AM

Mar 2023
I really like Hayao Miyazzaki aand Studio Ghibli
Jun 30, 9:11 AM

Apr 2021
They are great. Got two oscars to prove that. But i also have to admit that they are not really my type.
Jun 30, 9:29 AM
Sep 2022
I don't know anything about him at all but Ghibli produced a lot of really good work.
Jun 30, 9:32 AM

Feb 2023
Miyazaki bashes otaku all the time and clearly hates us. I don't like him or Ghibli, despite them making a couple of good movies.

Many fans of Miyazaki and Ghibli are tourists who hate anime.
Jun 30, 11:52 AM

May 2018
"What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?"

Well, I am more of a Takahata fan.
Jun 30, 12:14 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to -Kugeki-
I like most of Miyazaki & Ghibli's works. I highly respect & admire his craft & works of art. He is a pioneer in the industry & definitely deserved the recognition & esteem he has garnered throughout his career. You can really see the passion he & his team has poured into their films. They all retain a lasting quality that still feels fresh & unique to this day. I have yet to find an anime feels remotely similar to something out of a Ghibli production.
-Kugeki- said:

Pretty much the same and agreed as I've seen all the Ghbli movies/films so far.
Jun 30, 12:18 PM

Nov 2018
honestly don't give too much of a shit

Jun 30, 1:57 PM

Oct 2017
I haven't seen enough from Ghibli specifically, Miyazaki's works in general (his non Ghilbi stuff), I could say are fairly solid, though not very ambitious narratively. It's mostly the art/animation that does stand out to me as being very very good.

Miyazaki as a person, well like a lot of well established beloved creators, a very talented person who is also a self righteous POS. Regardless of what some think Miyazaki's personal views aren't just : he doesn't like otaku, oh no! It's more his interactions with people and political/social views that frankly disgust me. Like what he said about the Hebdo victims, frankly he can get fucked for that (honestly I think those comments are borderline evil). Plus he whines about LOTR (while not understanding the work), straight up misrepresents all Hollywood films (yet this is the dude the industry should rely on for writing advice?) and then champions his anti Imperialist views by adapting a work by an unabashed nazi and then hanging out with him. Bad father, quick to misread other creatives intentions (him arguing that an animator's work on this zombie creature is somehow insulting the disabled), like yeah he seems like a POS.

That said yeah he is still one of the more talented artists, animators/directors that the industry has been gifted with. I just wish some would stop putting him on some pedestal. His works are hardly the peak of the medium, forget media in general.
BilboBaggins365Jun 30, 10:58 PM
Jun 30, 2:00 PM
Feb 2014
I'm gonna be honest......i don't really like Studio Ghibli movies.....i may be in the minority here though....

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 30, 2:44 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
Daviljoe193 said:
I watched Aya to Majo, which was mid.

How did you decide to watch that one?
@Lucifrost I honestly don't remember, other than that I knew it was allegedly "ThE wOrSt ThInG eVeR!!1", which it's not. It's just unnoteworthy.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 30, 4:53 PM

Aug 2020
I think he is totally misunderstood

Jun 30, 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Dauphine
I'm gonna be honest......i don't really like Studio Ghibli movies.....i may be in the minority here though....
@Dauphine You 100% are in the minority, but you aren't alone. I don't even really have much of an inclination to watch them.
Jun 30, 5:00 PM

Sep 2018
Love the anime is a mistake meme culture he spawned though I do like the Otaku pandering stuff. Miyazaki is a pretty skilled artist who I respect. Ghibli is solid too!
rohan121Jun 30, 5:11 PM
Jun 30, 5:16 PM

Apr 2022
my favorite ghibli movie isn't even by miyazaki. don't really care for most of his movies with the exception of only 2 or 3, but he seems alright.
Jun 30, 5:34 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to BilboBaggins365
I haven't seen enough from Ghibli specifically, Miyazaki's works in general (his non Ghilbi stuff), I could say are fairly solid, though not very ambitious narratively. It's mostly the art/animation that does stand out to me as being very very good.

Miyazaki as a person, well like a lot of well established beloved creators, a very talented person who is also a self righteous POS. Regardless of what some think Miyazaki's personal views aren't just : he doesn't like otaku, oh no! It's more his interactions with people and political/social views that frankly disgust me. Like what he said about the Hebdo victims, frankly he can get fucked for that (honestly I think those comments are borderline evil). Plus he whines about LOTR (while not understanding the work), straight up misrepresents all Hollywood films (yet this is the dude the industry should rely on for writing advice?) and then champions his anti Imperialist views by adapting a work by an unabashed nazi and then hanging out with him. Bad father, quick to misread other creatives intentions (him arguing that an animator's work on this zombie creature is somehow insulting the disabled), like yeah he seems like a POS.

That said yeah he is still one of the more talented artists, animators/directors that the industry has been gifted with. I just wish some would stop putting him on some pedestal. His works are hardly the peak of the medium, forget media in general.
BilboBaggins365 said:
champions his anti Imperialist views by adapting a work by an unabashed nazi

Which work would that be?
Miyazaki was also an animator for Horus, Takahata's unintentionally xenophobic movie.
その目だれの目?
Jun 30, 6:23 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Lucifrost
BilboBaggins365 said:
champions his anti Imperialist views by adapting a work by an unabashed nazi

Which work would that be?
Miyazaki was also an animator for Horus, Takahata's unintentionally xenophobic movie.
@Lucifrost Tigers in the Mud. Miyazaki did a manga adaption of it. The opening forward of the that book literally tries to justify the Eastern Front conflict as saving Europe from Communism and that the Wehrmacht was "defamed".

It can be useful to a historian, that said for Miyazaki to bitch and moan about the ethics of certain Western media and then inadvertently promote a book like that is pretty funny, especially since he was obviously a big enough fan of his original work that he went and met the dude. Though yeah American films are just some ads for American imperialism, however, I am going to adapt a work that tries to whitewash what the Nazis actually were doing on the Eastern Front.
BilboBaggins365Jun 30, 6:30 PM
Jun 30, 6:40 PM

Oct 2021
"Anime was a mistake. It's nothing but trash."

- Miyazaki H.

I do think that Ghibli films are very nostalgic, most of them are very good. I don't think The Boy and the Heron deserves an Oscar win tbh.
Jun 30, 7:54 PM
Aug 2022
It's always funny how anime fans seem to be more critical of his works than actual movie buffs lol. Anyways I love Ghibli and Miyazaki. Spirited Away is my favorite movie of all time.
Jun 30, 7:55 PM

Jan 2009
they are eye candy but damn i do find the stories boring
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Characters that you never understood the hype around them ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

maha_thecat - Jul 28, 2021

265 by LeonhartAugust »»
14 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1058 by iamrure »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you actually care about relatable characters?

Akuya - 16 minutes ago

0 by Akuya »»
16 minutes ago

» Best Representation of…. in Anime

kirA_-_ - 2 hours ago

4 by kirA_-_ »»
21 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece ( 1 2 )

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

50 by zombie_pegasus »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.