Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2023 2:52 AM

Jun 2011
A nephew of mine would say he hates anime for the typical reasons it gets a bad rap (waifus, moe, pedobait etc.) and a lot of kids of his generation have the same opinion. How did this happen? Is it because of the internet's ironic handling of otaku culture has triggered a backlash towards the entire medium as a whole?
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2023 4:21 AM

Feb 2020
Really? I think that's just a pretty small group of people who think this way.
Oct 22, 2023 5:09 AM

Mar 2008
How old is your nephew though? Regardless he has shit tastes. Actually even worse, he probably doesnt even have his own opinion and is just copying others on social media.
Oct 22, 2023 5:12 AM

Aug 2013
I have no idea, I'm out of touch with kids these days.

So the indoctrination hits hard and on early age huh? Marvel, DC & Hollywood throwing a tantrum by spending millions at manipulating AI bots across all social media? :P

Look at it at the bright side. The industry might stop focussing on the young audience & shift their attention to a more adult mature audience.

Yay adults win \o/
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...

I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

THE HYPE IS REAL!! It's time!! 2 Become a legend, the Ghost of Tsushima
Oct 22, 2023 5:13 AM

Nov 2018
If he says that because he watched Kiss x Sis, I'll come over and join you and we can beat the shit out of him slap some sense into him.

It sounds like he's just repeating stuff that some youtuber or some tik tok account has said about anime. What has he actually watched?

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 22, 2023 5:19 AM
Jun 2023
This Days Kids Be Like They Are Boss.
What They Saying Is Best They Don't Understand Not Everyone Have Same Taste.
My Opinion You Should Leave Him Like He Is.
Oct 22, 2023 5:30 AM

Feb 2023
Lots of people hate anime like this. What's worse is when these people who bashed anime for years turn around and start loving anime, and claim that they were "always secretly a fan". Before I started taking anime seriously in 2014, there were a few shows I didn't like, but I never bashed or wrote off the entire medium. And I had an interest in Japan long before I got into anime.
Oct 22, 2023 5:33 AM

Jun 2011
Reply to traed
How old is your nephew though? Regardless he has shit tastes. Actually even worse, he probably doesnt even have his own opinion and is just copying others on social media.
@traed
He's nine years old. Seems like he is being indoctrinated by the internet (he plays Roblox and Among Us, games with notorious anti-anime crowds), but I've been seeing more and more kids that are like him, regardless if they're addicted to social media or not.

@_cjessop19_
He's into lego Ninjago right now. Strangely enough, he couldn't stop looking at my phone when I was watching a Vtuber stream so yeah feels like he's just parroting stuff from his peers/the internet.
Oct 22, 2023 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
Hard to say, it requires asking all kids and proper statistic from all countries. But I know that some kids "hate" something on purpose, when large group likes it. They want to show that they are not like others, that they are special, and will say such things just in spite.
Oct 22, 2023 5:42 AM

Aug 2020
Kids these days are into tik tok. Can't expect much from them.

Oct 22, 2023 5:58 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Ahegyao
@traed
He's nine years old. Seems like he is being indoctrinated by the internet (he plays Roblox and Among Us, games with notorious anti-anime crowds), but I've been seeing more and more kids that are like him, regardless if they're addicted to social media or not.

@_cjessop19_
He's into lego Ninjago right now. Strangely enough, he couldn't stop looking at my phone when I was watching a Vtuber stream so yeah feels like he's just parroting stuff from his peers/the internet.
@Ahegyao
He needs taught to not just parrot others on things he knows nothing about. It will easily get him in trouble in other matters.
Oct 22, 2023 6:07 AM

Jun 2020
I'm a school teacher, and I can confidently say from what I've directly observed from the children, that anime is undoubtedly one of the "cool kids" things now. One of the grades I teach has at least several students who adore anime in each class, and even those who aren't into it humour their classmates who are, and I haven't seen a single student looking down on their peers for liking it.

Granted, I'm not sure if this is merely a cultural thing--as where I'm from, anime generally is a big part of people's childhoods since it's the main type of "children's entertainment" that's been airing on televisions across the country since the 70's. I do, however, know that social media and "cancel culture" isn't as widespread as it is in the West, if not completely nonexistent, so the issues most people find with the medium elsewhere are basically irrelevant to most anime fans as a whole here.

All I know is that when I was the same age as my kids I teach, my classmates were absolutely relentless about me liking anime. They never wasted a moment in making me feel like some sort of freak lol, even though I wasn't outspoken about my interests, nor did I have anyone else to share it with apart from one kid who'd bring a whole stack of Shounen Jump manga he'd borrowed from the library in his backpack every week. We never talked to each other, let alone discuss the stuff we liked; we'd literally just read the books in silence and then I'd give them back when I was finished, that was it. In comparison to present day, I'd say now more than ever, it's heaven for anime nerds lmao. Times have definitely changed, that's for sure.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if a kid genuinely dislikes something, then so be it. It can be hard to convince them otherwise, specially when a lot of them like following the herd (unfortunately) as others have pointed out. As long as they're not disrespecting people for having different interests and opinions, it's fine. To each their own, that's what I always tell my kids.
zedtronicOct 22, 2023 6:33 AM
Oct 22, 2023 9:28 AM
Sep 2022
I'm not around kids that much anymore so I don't know what is trending right now among Gen Z. Whatever the case, I think it should be the anime fans shaming the non-anime fans for having no taste. I'm serious, anyone from Generation Z who thinks that anything from Hollywood ( of the current year ) is better than the best anime is not even fit to polish my silverware.
Oct 22, 2023 9:33 AM

May 2018
"Is anime uncool with kids these days?"

It's freaking mainstream now...mainstream is never cool.
Oct 22, 2023 9:37 AM

Sep 2018
Anime is super mainstream nowadays. The only kids who hate it are the ones trying to look cool in front of their friends. It is highly likely he still watches some mainstream anime though. On a final note, anime largely appeals to teens even if they did avoid it before that age.
Oct 22, 2023 10:16 AM

Dec 2015
Than that's weird cause I see alot of teens/kids with anime merch, aswell as daughter of my cousin [niece?] also watches anime and my cousin asked if I can draw something for her birthday. [For context - She is 12 yo]
Oct 22, 2023 10:27 AM

Aug 2018
what? anime has never been cool....
Oct 22, 2023 10:49 AM

Dec 2022
Anime has only become more mainstream over time, except for maybe just some small temporary setbacks at times. What has maybe changed is that people are more polarized in general, being taught by their parents that it is okay to hate everyone who doesn't think like you instead of trying to understand them.
Oct 22, 2023 11:03 AM

Mar 2019
The vast majority of animes are not for children, these moe animes are all made for an adult audience.
Tell your nephew to watch Bayblade or Bakugan, it's much easier for him to like it. (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)
Oct 22, 2023 11:06 AM
Jun 2023
I do not understand why some kids do not like to watch animes.There are very good for us because we discuss about them like Mal,you can find friends and is beautiful to find friends and to talk about what animes did you seen and you did not watch.I think that these type of animations and mangas can revolution the life of kids(in a good point,I mean they have a healthy pasion).I think the reason kids do not think it is cool is because they are afraid of the unknown and what is next.

Oct 22, 2023 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
are gen z more woke is that what youre implying?
Oct 22, 2023 12:30 PM

Jun 2017
I have middle school aged siblings and anime is pretty popular with their class, they say.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 22, 2023 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Because of age restrictions and signs on TV, stricter kids tv rules and protective parents, kids start later with anime as many are not suitable for early elementary school kids.
Oct 22, 2023 1:16 PM

Aug 2021
i dont think so dont expect too much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2023 1:25 PM

Oct 2016
Anime was never cool to begin with. I feel like these days adults get into it more than kids.
Oct 22, 2023 1:25 PM

May 2022
Anime seemed to always be cool at least where I lived, mostly since all the cool and popular kids in my area always watched anime even when almost everyone else in the world used to hate on anime a few years back. I think it really depends on who you're talking to and if they grew up from an early age exposed to anime or not.
Oct 22, 2023 1:33 PM
Aug 2021
Your nephew is wise and you should probably listen to him
Oct 22, 2023 1:41 PM

Jun 2020
I'm 16 and the general consensus is that alot of people were bored during quarantine and watched 1-2 mainstream ones like Death Note, AOT, One piece, etc. But if you're a major anime fan or mention any unpopular ones than yeah you're weird still
Oct 22, 2023 2:06 PM
Oct 2023
Well hes right. Aside from two to three a season rest are crap of the form ur nephew described. And being a weeb was never cool
Oct 22, 2023 2:10 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to solrules
Your nephew is wise and you should probably listen to him
@solrules 😂 😂
True dat bro.
There's a restriction for 30 characters i think anyway watch land of the lustrous
Oct 22, 2023 2:27 PM

Aug 2017
I guess it depends on the show

Like, shonen anime like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen and Attack on Titans are at least of what i have seen, really popular and "cool" with younger teens and kids (from ages 9 to 14). But i guess shows with a focus on sexual things (or basically anything that isnt battle or sports) that are less mainstream, are considered a really weirdo or nerd hobby, thus "uncool"
𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
Oct 22, 2023 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Ahegyao
@traed

@_cjessop19_
@Ahegyao

Your nephew is very young. So, maybe as he gets older he'll break out of his shell and experience anime. But I don't think it's anything to be concerned about right now. Of course, I got into anime at a younger age than your nephew. But I didn't have the access to social media that kids today seem to have.
removed-userOct 22, 2023 2:50 PM
Oct 22, 2023 2:47 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It's gone full mainstream by now. One Piece live action was huge.
Oct 22, 2023 2:52 PM

Oct 2012
I have no exposure to 9 year olds, but anime has never been not cool, unless you live in the middle of backwater country nowhere. Even in my short stint on Among Us, I've never seen anyone talk shit about anime. Conversely, most people on Among Us probably talk shit about 9 year olds fucking up the game because they have no free form chat and can't think critically even if they do.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 22, 2023 4:02 PM

Dec 2019
thas crazy cuz there was a period in my little sister's class, where you couldn't fit in with certain groups if you hadn't kept up with trending anime during lockdown (DS, JJK, AoT). If anything, it goes both ways depending on the environment, but for the most part anime is now mainstream among kids

Everything can become mainstream nowadays due to social media. Remember when gaming used to be a social outcast activity? Same people who'd bully you are now making a living off of gaming and milking gamers XD
Oct 22, 2023 4:13 PM

Jul 2021
Honestly I think the kid is right to hate anime. It can be a pretty bad influence on one's life, in addition to everything you mentioned.

But he probably doesn't have his own opinions. Most likely he got that impression from other kids, like I used to do when I was younger.
Oct 22, 2023 4:23 PM

Apr 2012
We just didn’t notice how the community made a circle and the zoomers around us returned to the sexual stiffness of the boomers. Ironic, right? As a result, we see how zoomers on many issues roll back to the 90s or even the 80s in matters of moral guidance. It's not surprising that you hear from them the typical criticisms that people outside the community threw at anime 20 or 30 years ago.
Oct 22, 2023 6:20 PM

Jun 2011
Reply to RobertBobert
We just didn’t notice how the community made a circle and the zoomers around us returned to the sexual stiffness of the boomers. Ironic, right? As a result, we see how zoomers on many issues roll back to the 90s or even the 80s in matters of moral guidance. It's not surprising that you hear from them the typical criticisms that people outside the community threw at anime 20 or 30 years ago.
@RobertBobert
It do feel like they're going all conservative as a counterculture.
Oct 22, 2023 6:30 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ahegyao
@RobertBobert
It do feel like they're going all conservative as a counterculture.
@Ahegyao Are you saying that the modern world has become so liberal and lax that excessive moralism has become considered counterculture?
Oct 22, 2023 6:47 PM

Jul 2017
Kids and teens tend to go through a phase in their lives where they're not very comfortable with being based about their hobbies and tastes, and it sounds like your nephew is going through that phase lol. It is likely that he will eventually grow out of that phase as he gets older though, and he'll eventually reach a point in his life where he'll just like whatever he likes regardless of what people think about him.
Oct 22, 2023 6:48 PM

Jun 2011
Reply to RobertBobert
@Ahegyao Are you saying that the modern world has become so liberal and lax that excessive moralism has become considered counterculture?
@RobertBobert
In some ways, yes. Not to go completely political, but guys like Nick Fuentes appeal to that crowd.
Oct 22, 2023 6:51 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ahegyao
@RobertBobert
In some ways, yes. Not to go completely political, but guys like Nick Fuentes appeal to that crowd.
@Ahegyao But why do they continue to demonize traditionalists and conservatives, literally dehumanizing them?
Oct 22, 2023 6:57 PM

Mar 2022
Its the opposite these days, atleast in my country.
These days everyone is wearing one piece or jujutsu kaisen clothes and i go "whaaaat? When did anime get famous so suddenly?" So yeah
Oct 22, 2023 7:22 PM

Jun 2022
Ahegyao said:

Sure, but it'd be wrong to pretend like people on the other side of the political spectrum don't cry about fanservice in shows, "the male gaze," and CGDCT shows among other things. There was a massive meltdown over the slavery scene in Mushoku Tensei, and you can't encounter a thread about MT online that doesn't complain about Rudeus being a pedo. There's a general rise in puritanism as far as I can tell.
(Considering you're a Monogatari fan I have to imagine this is something you're aware of).
Oct 22, 2023 7:23 PM

Oct 2022
Anime is becoming more mainstream with each generation actually, although there are very vocal groups against it.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Oct 22, 2023 7:33 PM

Jun 2011
Reply to RobertBobert
@Ahegyao But why do they continue to demonize traditionalists and conservatives, literally dehumanizing them?
@RobertBobert
I don't know. I just point out what I see.

@Leverkuhn
Yes, those are things I notice too and the industry is unfortunately taking cues from them. Panty shots are now becoming shiny Pokemon rare.
Oct 22, 2023 7:41 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Leverkuhn
Ahegyao said:

Sure, but it'd be wrong to pretend like people on the other side of the political spectrum don't cry about fanservice in shows, "the male gaze," and CGDCT shows among other things. There was a massive meltdown over the slavery scene in Mushoku Tensei, and you can't encounter a thread about MT online that doesn't complain about Rudeus being a pedo. There's a general rise in puritanism as far as I can tell.
(Considering you're a Monogatari fan I have to imagine this is something you're aware of).
@Leverkuhn Judging by the audience of CGDCT on manga resources and here in the comments, especially their love for the word "wholesome", I would rather say that these are the people who are fans of such shows. I really don't understand why elitists and diehard weebs never complain about this "genre" given their extremely salty attitude towards other popular shows.
Oct 22, 2023 8:03 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@Leverkuhn Judging by the audience of CGDCT on manga resources and here in the comments, especially their love for the word "wholesome", I would rather say that these are the people who are fans of such shows. I really don't understand why elitists and diehard weebs never complain about this "genre" given their extremely salty attitude towards other popular shows.
@RobertBobert With CGDCT I think it's sort of a mixed bag. Lots of people who like them because they're "wholesome" as you say, and lots of people like them because they find the girls cute (as well as wholesome, obviously). A lot of it depends on how much fanservice the show has as well; the people you mention will still likely cry about how such shows have swimsuit/onsen episodes and see those things as detracting from their "wholesome and pure" anime, whereas people like me love such things and see them as a great addition.
(Great avi btw, haven't seen the Air anime but I'm a big fan of the visual novel).
LeverkuhnOct 22, 2023 8:07 PM
Oct 22, 2023 8:32 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Leverkuhn
@RobertBobert With CGDCT I think it's sort of a mixed bag. Lots of people who like them because they're "wholesome" as you say, and lots of people like them because they find the girls cute (as well as wholesome, obviously). A lot of it depends on how much fanservice the show has as well; the people you mention will still likely cry about how such shows have swimsuit/onsen episodes and see those things as detracting from their "wholesome and pure" anime, whereas people like me love such things and see them as a great addition.
(Great avi btw, haven't seen the Air anime but I'm a big fan of the visual novel).
@Leverkuhn I'm just saying that the people you're complaining about are usually obsessed primarily with all-female anime like this. For example, I've seen a lot of people literally praise this or that show for not having male characters. They often like to pretend to be cultured and big anime fans, but are actually just obsessed with cute girls and shipping with no real interest in the plot beyond "wholesome" sterile clichés.
Oct 22, 2023 10:07 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to wizdom224
Honestly I think the kid is right to hate anime. It can be a pretty bad influence on one's life, in addition to everything you mentioned.

But he probably doesn't have his own opinions. Most likely he got that impression from other kids, like I used to do when I was younger.
@wizdom224 Everything can be bad influence on your life. People who go to hobbies as an excuse for their own failures are just deflecting blame from their own weakness. Plus knowing the average kid today he is just rotting his brain with social media instead of engaging in more "productive hobbies'. Honestly watching anime is probably 1000x healthier for your brain than looking at Twitter or TikTok (honestly been slowly weaning off it beyond artists and entertainment news and that has been great). At least the giant boob anime lady isn't going to likely fill your heads with crap about the world.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people hate MAPPA?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

34 by mentalmondai »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9120 by appledude1221 »»
3 minutes ago

» Name 1 or 2 characters you've seen that have the best thighs/ass

IpreferEcchi - 41 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» We need more black anime Waifus.

Gashadokur0 - 6 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
6 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

45 by Swyzen »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.