Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 15, 2022 9:08 PM

Jun 2017
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 15, 2022 9:31 PM

Sep 2008
This episode it’s was okay so next week will be last episode.
Oct 15, 2022 9:33 PM

Apr 2008
So we finally meet Kimi’s mom…..

Oct 15, 2022 9:34 PM

Mar 2014
As expected for a 4 episode series about Cthulhu worshippers, things escalated quickly and are getting weird
Oct 15, 2022 9:35 PM

Jun 2017
It's not really explaining much

Oct 15, 2022 9:37 PM

Jun 2017
Syb3rStrife said:
So we finally meet Kimi’s mom…..

That's what it is? it looked like some kind of plant in a vase.
Oct 15, 2022 9:39 PM
Oct 2021
overall it was a good episode and the next one seems even better. hope it answers all the questions
Oct 15, 2022 9:42 PM

Oct 2019
Damn, another one bites the dust. And that end with Kimi's mother?!?! Creepy.
This episode we learn that the trope of a building being built on some old ruins is in effect.
We learn some more info such as the fish being tied to like a rebirth of something....
Rip Taka, he became moss. Which we still dont have a full understanding on.
We do learn that Kimi or Kimis past life, she was a princess-type living on the island and the creatures of the dead god (Cthulu) came over and sacrificed many of their brethren. But a group of soldieers (foreigners like the modern day) have come and started slaughtering ppl.
My assumption is that whatever this mother is, it's tied to the rebirth of Cthulu and the creatures have been offering the carcasses of animals to Kimi for that purpose. Next ep preview we see the father go bat shit crazy and go after kimi and Kan. However, at the start of ep 1, it seems that Kan is the one that is having issues and the father says for him to stay away from his daughter and his wife is next to him. Im assuming that some spirit is body hopping and was attached to the father and took over kan maybe. All i know is we have 1 ep left and things have to be answered.
Its sad the show is dropping in score but i cant blame others.
TheBlockernator said:

I cant recall if that security guard had a wife or not. I could have sworn the security guard turned to moss in the hallway and one of the people went to investigate his apartment and found moss inside there.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 15, 2022 9:44 PM

Oct 2019
poseidon28 said:
overall it was a good episode and the next one seems even better. hope it answers all the questions

See i could have sworn i saw something but the anime brushed it off and mentioned the moss. I need to go back and see about that moment cuz i thought he was dangling.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 15, 2022 11:32 PM

Jun 2017
poseidon28 said:

That was weird, she didn't comment on it or react to it, just the moss and that it made her sad. Maybe nobody saw it but us the viewer.
Oct 15, 2022 11:37 PM

Jun 2017
FireRifle64 said:
This episode we learn that the trope of a building being built on some old ruins is in effect.
We learn some more info such as the fish being tied to like a rebirth of something....
We do learn that Kimi or Kimis past life, she was a princess-type living on the island and the creatures of the dead god (Cthulu) came over and sacrificed many of their brethren. But a group of soldieers (foreigners like the modern day) have come and started slaughtering ppl.
My assumption is that whatever this mother is, it's tied to the rebirth of Cthulu and the creatures have been offering the carcasses of animals to Kimi for that purpose. Next ep preview we see the father go bat shit crazy and go after kimi and Kan. However, at the start of ep 1, it seems that Kan is the one that is having issues and the father says for him to stay away from his daughter and his wife is next to him. Im assuming that some spirit is body hopping and was attached to the father and took over kan maybe. All i know is we have 1 ep left and things have to be answered.
TheBlockernator said:

I cant recall if that security guard had a wife or not. I could have sworn the security guard turned to moss in the hallway and one of the people went to investigate his apartment and found moss inside there.

I don't remember if he did either. Could've just been his moss. I don't remember if Moss was found both inside the apartment and on the balcony where we last saw him.

Either that or it's non linear story telling and Taka was the 4th and his disappearance somehow takes place before the opening scene.
Oct 15, 2022 11:38 PM

Jun 2017
FireRifle64 said:
TheBlockernator said:

I don't remember if he did either. Could've just been his moss. I don't remember if Moss was found both inside the apartment and on the balcony where we last saw him.

Either that or it's non linear story telling and Taka was the 4th and his disappearance somehow takes place before the opening scene.
Oct 16, 2022 2:15 AM
Oct 2022
When the guy rushes to Yoshikin's door he calls our for Yoshikin and Mako. So while they never directly mentioned a wife, I assume that's who he was referring to
Oct 16, 2022 11:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Eh these "make peace not war" messages with the parallel with the ancient civilization, and with these flashbacks it could mean the main character is reincarnated from one of those that got killed back then?
Oct 16, 2022 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Taka is dead! Kimi's mom is a plant! And Rubel left the complex! And next episode is last, I wonder how they are going to cover soo many thing in only one episode.
I wonder if all of these things are happening because of Kimi!
Oct 16, 2022 5:02 PM

Oct 2020
TheBlockernator said:

It was Yoshiken's (the security guard's) wife
It was explicitly mentioned that the other guy would go looking for them both and he also called both their names outside of/upon entering the apartment.

FireRifle64 said:
poseidon28 said:

See i could have sworn i saw something but the anime brushed it off and mentioned the moss. I need to go back and see about that moment cuz i thought he was dangling.

He definitely was hanging there, you could tell by the hair. I believe Taka's notebook was among the moss as well so it definitely would've been him.
I interpreted the scene as him turning into moss before Yuri was able to enter the room, but after Kimi had already seen him. Either that or she has some sort of power that lets her know who the moss used to be.
Oct 16, 2022 5:11 PM
Feb 2016
TheBlockernator said:
It's not really explaining much

Its the neet, neet's mom, security guard, and his wife is the 4th person
Oct 16, 2022 9:27 PM
Apr 2022
Its good but if theres only one episode left are they gonna explain stuff its pretty good so far but confusing as hell like is why everyone turning into moss why is kimis mom a fetus what the hell
Oct 16, 2022 10:08 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah... there is no way this series is gonna end on a satisfying note with only one episode left.
Oct 16, 2022 10:09 PM

Jul 2008
"The Deep Ones"!!
Hope this doesn't end in a "to be continued"…
My candies:
Oct 16, 2022 10:16 PM

Jul 2008
SouthRzVa said:
Yeah... there is no way this series is gonna end on a satisfying note with only one episode left.

Winter_52 said:
Its good but if theres only one episode left are they gonna explain stuff its pretty good so far but confusing as hell like is why everyone turning into moss why is kimis mom a fetus what the hell

I have this terrible feeling: the last episode might end with a "To be continued" screen…

VolKur said:
Taka is dead! Kimi's mom is a plant! And Rubel left the complex! And next episode is last, I wonder how they are going to cover soo many thing in only one episode.
I wonder if all of these things are happening because of Kimi!

Based on episode 1 first escene and the cave images: Kimi is the reincarnation of the priestess of "the mountain God" (Goddess, the fetus she calls "mother") "The Deep Ones" seek help to "save" "Cthulhu"… Priestess who was murdered by some samurais.
My candies:
Oct 17, 2022 1:03 AM

May 2019
Interesting episode, it's a shame that Taka died as he was connecting the dots to the mysteries. Also, it looks like Kimi can see dead people as it appeared that Taka (or someone else) was hanging but her friend couldn't see that. I wonder if something is killing the people or if they go crazy after seeing something? And what's up with Kimi's mom being some sort of plant/fetus thing?? Hope we get answers in the finale.
Oct 17, 2022 7:25 AM

Oct 2019
So, for the Taka scene, this is the thing Kimi sees

This is what we see after the other one shows up

This is the Fetus thing

Oct 17, 2022 8:32 AM
May 2020
It´s just Ok. There`s no more to say about this kind of stories.
Oct 17, 2022 10:18 AM

Dec 2021
I'm starting to wonder if the final episode will be expanded to be twice as long, or, indeed, if we'll get a "to be continued" message, as another commenter anticipated. Based on the cold open in episode 1, the links to the past, and various characters and subplots, it seems unlikely they can effectively end this in one standard-length episode. It can be done, but it's going to be sloppy, if that's what they're doing.

This has been a train wreck that I couldn't avert my eyes from from the very start, and I can't wait to see how this ends.
Oct 17, 2022 10:35 AM

Jun 2017
Gsarthotegga said:
I'm starting to wonder if the final episode will be expanded to be twice as long, or, indeed, if we'll get a "to be continued" message, as another commenter anticipated. Based on the cold open in episode 1, the links to the past, and various characters and subplots, it seems unlikely they can effectively end this in one standard-length episode. It can be done, but it's going to be sloppy, if that's what they're doing.

This has been a train wreck that I couldn't avert my eyes from from the very start, and I can't wait to see how this ends.

I feel like the 4 episodes is a mistake on mal's part. How do they know? It's currently airing and usually currently airing series have a question mark for total episodes. There's no way everything can be resolved in 22 minutes.
Oct 17, 2022 10:58 AM

Dec 2021
TheBlockernator said:
Gsarthotegga said:

I feel like the 4 episodes is a mistake on mal's part. How do they know? It's currently airing and usually currently airing series have a question mark for total episodes. There's no way everything can be resolved in 22 minutes.

According to the Wikipedia episode list, the final episode is titled "The End of the Line", so it sounds like it's just 4 episodes, and I haven't seen any information from anywhere to indicate there are more than 4 episodes. It's entirely possible it will be a longer final episode, though. I recently watched an old OVA, and I was getting the same feeling that they wouldn't be able to end with just one more episode, but the final episode was double the length of the other episodes. I'd say anime has many examples of INTENSE plot cramming as well, so I think just about anything is on the table for this one...

Oct 17, 2022 12:18 PM
Feb 2022
This should be called sleeping complex c cause it’s boring as hell
Oct 17, 2022 2:14 PM
Oct 2014
FireRifle64 said:
GeorgeSK said:
where are you watching this show? I can find only first episode.

it comes out on Saturdays (my time at least) on Toonami so I watch there. It comes out in couple days from that time on HBO Max as well.

I've been looking for hours I see it's on adult swim but it wont let me watch past like 40 seconds , I'm dying to watch ep3
Oct 17, 2022 5:36 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
The plot is progressing forward, so I guess that's progress, but it still doesn't feel like it will conclude satisfactorily with the one remaining episode. There was once again a lot of emphasis on xenophobia, perhaps too much, but at least they made it tied to the plot with the cave drawings. I hope that becomes clearer in the final episode.
Oct 18, 2022 12:28 PM

Jul 2021
uhh this really isn't enough to properly explain what's happening.

kan is blamed again :/ this time by his own people too :(

RIP taka though.

it's confirmed that yuri and kimi are realted from past. kimi's the imouto and yuri's the onee-san which makes yuri the one who screamed and killed all those attackers in the flashback.

kimi kimi no okasan kimochiwarui

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 18, 2022 1:29 PM

Jun 2017
FireRifle64 said:

This is the Fetus thing

I was rewatching the first episode and at the end when she sees Hideo, it looks like a body at the end, not moss. But when everyone else comes it's just a huge pile of moss. Just like Taka. Maybe Kimi can see dead people other's can't.
Oct 19, 2022 3:48 AM
May 2021
I knew it, This kimi girl was sus af and proved to be one. I got no idea how this anime gonna end in just 1 episode next week
Oct 19, 2022 12:04 PM

Jan 2017
So three episodes of pretty much nothing but buildup. Hopefully the last episode will deliver a truly bone-chilling climax, but I have my doubts.
Oct 19, 2022 12:27 PM

Dec 2021
TheBlockernator said:
FireRifle64 said:

This is the Fetus thing

I was rewatching the first episode and at the end when she sees Hideo, it looks like a body at the end, not moss. But when everyone else comes it's just a huge pile of moss. Just like Taka. Maybe Kimi can see dead people other's can't.

Nice find! I don't remember this at all, and I imagine it's much briefer/less obvious than the similar scene with Taka. I'm assuming she sees the past, while everyone else is only seeing the present—the form the bodies have taken, that is, moss. Unless there's an illusion, and she can see through it. First episode is called Optical Illusion, I believe.
GsarthoteggaOct 19, 2022 12:35 PM
Oct 19, 2022 3:08 PM

May 2010
a strange episode, Kimi's mother is a plant
Oct 19, 2022 3:26 PM

Jun 2017
Gsarthotegga said:
TheBlockernator said:

Nice find! I don't remember this at all, and I imagine it's much briefer/less obvious than the similar scene with Taka. I'm assuming she sees the past, while everyone else is only seeing the present—the form the bodies have taken, that is, moss. Unless there's an illusion, and she can see through it. First episode is called Optical Illusion, I believe.

Either that or she can see bodies but not Moss. She sees Hideo in his room while everyone else saw Moss. We don't see Yoshiken's body and neither does Kimi, just Moss where he died. We see Taka's body hanging as does Kimi. But once Yuri's there, all we see is Moss.
Oct 19, 2022 3:46 PM

Dec 2021
TheBlockernator said:
Gsarthotegga said:

Either that or she can see bodies but not Moss. She sees Hideo in his room while everyone else saw Moss. We don't see Yoshiken's body and neither does Kimi, just Moss where he died. We see Taka's body hanging as does Kimi. But once Yuri's there, all we see is Moss.

The reason I figure she can see into the past is because she probably would see Taka on the ground where the moss is if she were just seeing the dead and/or spirits, otherwise. When she saw Hideo, was his body on the ground and overlapping with the moss? Taka was hanging when he died, then his body fell apart into moss on the ground, I'd assume. But my memory of specific details is already a little fuzzy. I get the feeling they use her "sight" in a very fluid manner, though, and it will basically see through whatever illusions they want for plot purposes.

I guess when it comes to the moss, it's not that she can't see it, but she can see it for what it really is, so she can distinguish from moss and "human moss." So it plays into the optical illusion theme.
Oct 20, 2022 5:11 AM

Jan 2021
I think because next week is the last episode then all the mysteries start to be revealed.

But I also became even more curious, why did Taka turn into moss? What did he see that shocked him? Why is it that only Kimi can see that Taka was there (and is dead) ? That means the other 3 people who turned into moss are dead too huh... for Taka and the one person in the previous episode I can guess why they died, but the mother and son one was really weird and sudden. Also so who exactly put the dog's head in the syrup pot? It looks like it's going back to the beginning in the first episode (which Kimi and Yuri were chased by Kan).. but anyways I hope all questions and odd things will be answered next week.

Oct 20, 2022 8:06 AM
May 2022
Mãe planta, musgo, templo, ritual, Cthulu e reencarnação, agora ficando está interessante, mas esse anime nós deu mais perguntas, do q respostas, espero q o próximo episódio responde tudo e que tenhas uns 40min, só assim pra responder tudo e q não acabe tudo em "continue..." como um gringo falou aqui. Apesar de ser bem confuso em algumas partes caso vc não preste atenção (q foi o meu caso), mas tirando isso é um anime legal, mas mal executado :(.

F taka :(
Oct 20, 2022 11:48 AM

Jun 2017
labradorescence said:
I think because next week is the last episode then all the mysteries start to be revealed.

But I also became even more curious, why did Taka turn into moss? What did he see that shocked him? Why is it that only Kimi can see that Taka was there (and is dead) ? That means the other 3 people who turned into moss are dead too huh... for Taka and the one person in the previous episode I can guess why they died, but the mother and son one was really weird and sudden. Also so who exactly put the dog's head in the syrup pot? It looks like it's going back to the beginning in the first episode (which Kimi and Yuri were chased by Kan).. but anyways I hope all questions and odd things will be answered next week.

I'm not sure, but the son was drawing cthulu, so there might be some connection there. LIke he saw him beforehand or something, maybe whoever killed Hideo was seen by his mom and she had to be killed too. Or she was in the way of killing the son.
Oct 20, 2022 11:14 PM

Oct 2019
Gsarthotegga said:

Am I the only one who thinks this show has been pretty ok?

although I agree with them probably not having a good ending due to how many loose ends it has.

in the world were the isekai with dog shit writing and actual nothing burger shows get a 7+ score on mal. and even the bottom of the barrels get a 6.

Is this really bad enough to be below 6 by mal standards?

I mean depending on how it ends my score can be anywhere from a 3 to a 6, but like, I have seen way more garbage stuff get praised. what is it about this show in particular that makes it so terrible.

in my eyes this isn't really worse than "Another" which got a 7.5 on mal.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 21, 2022 12:00 AM

Dec 2021
Apolygon2 said:
Gsarthotegga said:

although I agree with them probably not having a good ending due to how many loose ends it has.

in the world were the isekai with dog shit writing and actual nothing burger shows get a 7+ score on mal. and even the bottom of the barrels get a 6.

I mean depending on how it ends my score can be anywhere from a 3 to a 6, but like, I have seen way more garbage stuff get praised. what is it about this show in particular that makes it so terrible.

I want to say it's been in the 4-6 range for most people I've seen commenting on the boards, so more on the average side, but keep in mind I am pretty nitpicky. We'll have to wait and see once the whole thing is in Japanese, because I've noticed a lot of people are turning their noses up for that reason.

How into horror are you? I've generally noticed anime fans aren't too familiar with horror unless they're very heavily into the genre in the form of books or movies, as there's just not much real anime horror (mostly you get action-packed body horror like Parasyte, rather than something where the characters are more vulnerable, like The Thing). It's really weird, but every genre is pretty well-represented with anime, but horror has always been kind of a weak one. I've read a lot of Lovecraft, which this is heavily influenced by, as well as people in his circle like Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard and loads of other authors that took a similar direction when it comes to horror, so this is already very familiar territory for me. Another and Higurashi are actually relatively unique by non-anime horror standards, whereas with C Danchi, I just see inverted Lovecraft wearing cat pants.

I don't think it compares very well to non-anime horror at least. But it has a low-budget, poor animation and art, goofy comedy and bad music, the little girl with cat pants and them trying to make this cute like Higurashi, and so many other aspects all clash with the horror and mystery for me. Also, the culture clash plot is very badly written and corny, and I personally despise these kind of plots. The only thing keeping me going is to see how they tie everything together.
GsarthoteggaOct 21, 2022 12:04 AM
Oct 21, 2022 12:05 AM

Jun 2017
Apolygon2 said:
Gsarthotegga said:

I think a lot of people are rating it low because of it being dub only. Most pages i've visited have been complaining about that.
Oct 21, 2022 12:27 AM

Dec 2021
Yeah, I was thinking most people who don't like the dub are probably putting it off until the Japanese version is available (I've seen many comments of that nature), but there are a lot of people who are probably rating 1-2 points lower, if not more, because of the dub. I'm not sure if the dub affects my opinion much, but it's pretty bleh.
Oct 21, 2022 12:27 AM

Jan 2021
TheBlockernator said:
I'm not sure, but the son was drawing cthulu, so there might be some connection there. LIke he saw him beforehand or something, maybe whoever killed Hideo was seen by his mom and she had to be killed too. Or she was in the way of killing the son.

Oh, thank you! I didn't know what he drew before, so it's called cthulu? Is it some kind of belief, cult or heretical sect and such? (Sorry I didn't know, this is my first time hearing "cthulu". I'd google it if it wasn't so scary).

I can accept that the two of them were killed by someone more than if the mother killed the son.... because if it turns out that the mother killed the son, why didn't she just kill him a long time ago :( why after he actually looked a little more normal (when he said thanks to Kimi and Yuri with the drawing).

Oct 21, 2022 12:36 AM

Jun 2017
labradorescence said:
TheBlockernator said:

Oh, thank you! I didn't know what he drew before, so it's called cthulu? Is it some kind of belief, cult or heretical sect and such? (Sorry I didn't know, this is my first time hearing "cthulu". I'd google it if it wasn't so scary).

I can accept that the two of them were killed by someone more than if the mother killed the son.... because if it turns out that the mother killed the son, why didn't she just kill him a long time ago :( why after he actually looked a little more normal (when he said thanks to Kimi and Yuri with the drawing).

Cthulu is complicated but basically it's some kind of God that was written about in the 1920's by HP Lovecraft that's pretty much taken a life of it's ow with various interpretations of what it is. There's probably hundreds of different interpretations of it and not really much of a set theme i don't think
Oct 21, 2022 5:59 AM

Oct 2019
Gsarthotegga said:
Apolygon2 said:

I want to say it's been in the 4-6 range for most people I've seen commenting on the boards, so more on the average side, but keep in mind I am pretty nitpicky. We'll have to wait and see once the whole thing is in Japanese, because I've noticed a lot of people are turning their noses up for that reason.

How into horror are you? I've generally noticed anime fans aren't too familiar with horror unless they're very heavily into the genre in the form of books or movies, as there's just not much real anime horror (mostly you get action-packed body horror like Parasyte, rather than something where the characters are more vulnerable, like The Thing). It's really weird, but every genre is pretty well-represented with anime, but horror has always been kind of a weak one. I've read a lot of Lovecraft, which this is heavily influenced by, as well as people in his circle like Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard and loads of other authors that took a similar direction when it comes to horror, so this is already very familiar territory for me. Another and Higurashi are actually relatively unique by non-anime horror standards, whereas with C Danchi, I just see inverted Lovecraft wearing cat pants.

I don't think it compares very well to non-anime horror at least. But it has a low-budget, poor animation and art, goofy comedy and bad music, the little girl with cat pants and them trying to make this cute like Higurashi, and so many other aspects all clash with the horror and mystery for me. Also, the culture clash plot is very badly written and corny, and I personally despise these kind of plots. The only thing keeping me going is to see how they tie everything together.

I would be lying If I said I am super into horror, simply because jump scares are a big turn off for me, so I tend to avoid shows/movie or games that are full of them.

but the few horror that catch my attention I have really loved. Hereditary was one of the only things in media that genuinely scared me past the age of 10, blood borne is one of, if not straight up my favorite game. and it certainly has my favorite world in video games. made in abyss is one of my favorite anime, and I absolutely loved ddlc.

I do see why another and higurashi are more unique than this, but the thing is what makes those about the same level or worse for me isn't really their idea.

Another was insulting as both a horror and a mystery. I don't know how you feel about it, but another was genuinely just not even slightly unnerving. the deaths times were so obvious. and they looked goofy as hell. but what truly rubbed me the wrong way was the mystery. I can not describe how insulted I felt by that. if satisfaction had an opposite the mystery in another would be it. I felt like an idiot.

for higurashi, I do have a lot of problems with it. but every time I have mentioned them to a fan, they talk about how it's "explained in the VN".

my problem with higurashi is actually the opposite. the mystery and horror are pretty good. what I really dislike is the story. specially how they ended it with power of friendship and an unexplained cliff hanger.

I mean here's the thing, if this doesn't tie up everything which is likely to happen, I'm going to say it's worse than those 2 shows. even now it probably is somewhat weaker. but is it really 5.75 on mal level bad?

that's below tokyo ghoul re s2 which is to this day the worst anime season that I have finished.

and below redo of healer which was both controversial and shit.

there are so many shows that are worse than this. to be a below 6/10 on mal is the bottom of the barrel level of being shit.

and I really don't think this THAT bad. it's not great. it's a pretty average story with decent characters and below average production. but it's not nearly bad enough to be this low.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 21, 2022 10:34 AM

Dec 2021
Apolygon2 said:
Gsarthotegga said:

I would be lying If I said I am super into horror, simply because jump scares are a big turn off for me, so I tend to avoid shows/movie or games that are full of them.

but the few horror that catch my attention I have really loved. Hereditary was one of the only things in media that genuinely scared me past the age of 10, blood borne is one of, if not straight up my favorite game. and it certainly has my favorite world in video games. made in abyss is one of my favorite anime, and I absolutely loved ddlc.

I do see why another and higurashi are more unique than this, but the thing is what makes those about the same level or worse for me isn't really their idea.

Another was insulting as both a horror and a mystery. I don't know how you feel about it, but another was genuinely just not even slightly unnerving. the deaths times were so obvious. and they looked goofy as hell. but what truly rubbed me the wrong way was the mystery. I can not describe how insulted I felt by that. if satisfaction had an opposite the mystery in another would be it. I felt like an idiot.

for higurashi, I do have a lot of problems with it. but every time I have mentioned them to a fan, they talk about how it's "explained in the VN".

my problem with higurashi is actually the opposite. the mystery and horror are pretty good. what I really dislike is the story. specially how they ended it with power of friendship and an unexplained cliff hanger.

I mean here's the thing, if this doesn't tie up everything which is likely to happen, I'm going to say it's worse than those 2 shows. even now it probably is somewhat weaker. but is it really 5.75 on mal level bad?

that's below tokyo ghoul re s2 which is to this day the worst anime season that I have finished.

there are so many shows that are worse than this. to be a below 6/10 on mal is the bottom of the barrel level of being shit.

and I really don't think this THAT bad. it's not great. it's a pretty average story with decent characters and below average production. but it's not nearly bad enough to be this low.

I think a score in the 5 range makes sense for this, but it's true that MAL is very easy going with ratings and pretty bad stuff ends up with a 6 minimum when it comes to seasonal anime. I haven't seen Redo of Healer, but it looks like it would have a lower score based on what I've heard and the clips I've seen...

Maybe the only exception where ratings are often lower than I'd expect is with certain older stuff or OVAs.

I haven't seen Another in a long time, but I actually see it as more of a comedy/horror. I remember the direction the mystery went in was very strange/silly.

You mean the original Higurashi ending? Yeah, I get tired of the "The VN takes care of this" people. XD

I still haven't finished Kai. I don't think I have a problem with the story of Higurashi so much as how it is sometimes told. I really didn't like the ending of the original Higurashi. It felt very rushed and awkward.

TheBlockernator is right though that people are pretty irritable when it comes to dubs on here, and that being the only option so far probably does hurt this more than the usual average-tier series that might end up with a 6 instead. It'd be interesting to have an alternate exposure with Japanese subs and see how much the ratings differ.
Oct 21, 2022 11:08 AM

Oct 2019
Gsarthotegga said:
Apolygon2 said:

I think a score in the 5 range makes sense for this, but it's true that MAL is very easy going with ratings and pretty bad stuff ends up with a 6 minimum when it comes to seasonal anime. I haven't seen Redo of Healer, but it looks like it would have a lower score based on what I've heard and the clips I've seen...

Maybe the only exception where ratings are often lower than I'd expect is with certain older stuff or OVAs.

I haven't seen Another in a long time, but I actually see it as more of a comedy/horror. I remember the direction the mystery went in was very strange/silly.

You mean the original Higurashi ending? Yeah, I get tired of the "The VN takes care of this" people. XD

I still haven't finished Kai. I don't think I have a problem with the story of Higurashi so much as how it is sometimes told. I really didn't like the ending of the original Higurashi. It felt very rushed and awkward.

TheBlockernator is right though that people are pretty irritable when it comes to dubs on here, and that being the only option so far probably does hurt this more than the usual average-tier series that might end up with a 6 instead. It'd be interesting to have an alternate exposure with Japanese subs and see how much the ratings differ.

oh I didn't know you haven't finished kai.

I actually liked the last arc of the first season. it was probably my favorite section since the answer to "how they go crazy" was imo very satisfying and the final fight was kind of epic.

the part that I just genuinely disliked is the ending of the kai. and I think you will see why once you finish it.

I would give points to another for being a good comedy, but I don't think it is trying to be. giving it points for that would be like giving ex arm points for how hilariously bad it's visuals are.

and yeah the older less known shows tend to have lower scores.

7.25+ old ova in my eyes holds the same value as an 8+ of newer ratings.

I do agree with the dub being a part of it though.

the show has a very japanese setting which was kind of jarring at times. and mal specially has extreme dub-phobia. and the dub itself is pretty meh, which doesn't help it's case at all.

although I do find it funny how some people think the dub is the worst thing ever.
Also available at:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who enjoyed it?

PetelgeuseDES - Jan 2, 2023

22 by Destroyer31 »»
Feb 26, 1:12 AM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Oct 22, 2022

83 by Destroyer31 »»
Feb 26, 1:10 AM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 2 Discussion

TheBlockernator - Oct 8, 2022

32 by alshu »»
Dec 27, 2023 11:20 PM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

anime-prime - Oct 1, 2022

80 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 26, 2023 9:53 PM

» only english dub available? ( 1 2 )

berries_yogurt - Oct 3, 2022

55 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
Jan 6, 2023 12:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.