Forum Settings
Forums

Shows or creators you have a love-hate relationship with

New
Oct 3, 2022 5:34 AM

Apr 2012
Is there a show or writer that you have a love-hate relationship with? For example, do you love and hate different parts of the same show, or do you sometimes have to remind yourself that you are a fan and not a hater?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 3, 2022 5:37 AM

Jun 2022
Bungou Stray Dogs. I have seen the 3 seasons of it, all of which I think were decent. I dislike some parts of the series but some I really like. It's been getting better by season 3, so I will most likely watch the next season
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Oct 3, 2022 5:47 AM

Sep 2020
One Piece. As I have stated several times in the forums. The main reason for this is the horrendous pace. I still enjoy the series a lot, but most One Piece fans are delusional and can't seem to be able to point out the series' flaws.
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Oct 3, 2022 5:49 AM

Jun 2022
Hideaki Anno for me, he cannot make a good first episode of a series for the life of him.
Oct 3, 2022 5:52 AM

Mar 2020
Bleach (yes you heard that right last arc in manga was :V) hope anime does good
Serven deadly sins
Psycho pass (s2 and onward sucked)
Toaru (entire s3 sucked somehow side show getting better treatment)
there are few more but i dont remember right now
Oct 3, 2022 5:52 AM

Sep 2020
TheNextDoor said:
Bungou Stray Dogs. I have seen the 3 seasons of it, all of which I think were decent. I dislike some parts of the series but some I really like. It's been getting better by season 3, so I will most likely watch the next season

I believe the main issue with Bungou Stray Dogs is the order in which the events occur. Everything seems out of place at first, but as the seasons' progress, you'll be able to understand what happened many episodes ago. I also began to enjoy the series much more from the 3rd season onwards because many things began to make more sense. I believe Mao Dao Zu Shi follows the same path as BSD in that the events are not chronological and can be difficult to follow at times.
Oct 3, 2022 5:56 AM

Mar 2020
Jellybeanx said:

I believe the main issue with Bungou Stray Dogs is the order in which the events occur. Everything seems out of place at first, but as the seasons' progress, you'll be able to understand what happened many episodes ago.

This part of your comment reminds me of Durarara lol also funnily enough Its gets thrown around as a recom for those who like stray dogs
Oct 3, 2022 5:58 AM

Apr 2012
Jellybeanx said:
One Piece. As I have stated several times in the forums. The main reason for this is the horrendous pace. I still enjoy the series a lot, but most One Piece fans are delusional and can't seem to be able to point out the series' flaws.

Yeah, it kinda reminds me of my relationship with 86 fans. I kinda like the show, but for some reason I get really lucky with the show's fans who are hostile to any opinion other than blind praise.

AnimeFA78N said:
Bleach (yes you heard that right last arc in manga was :V) hope anime does good
Serven deadly sins
Psycho pass (s2 and onward sucked)
Toaru (entire s3 sucked somehow side show getting better treatment)
there are few more but i dont remember right now

Bleach was big shit (in a good way) when I was in school, I wonder how much hype the last part of the adaptation raises.
Oct 3, 2022 6:27 AM
Oct 2022
oresama teacher and yurara, they keep breaing my heart bro
Oct 3, 2022 6:33 AM

May 2019
Hideaki Anno, i don't like Neon Genesis Evangelion but i like the man's philosophy on animation and otaku culture.
Oct 3, 2022 6:35 AM

Feb 2020
Yuasa, he made a lot of amazing anime including two of my favs, but a lot of hot garbage as well.
Oct 3, 2022 6:45 AM

Apr 2019
NisiOisin. The man writes some absolutely amazing stories with extremely well written characters and amazing character interactions. But I hate how much lolicon pandering he does in Monogatari. His other works don't have nearly the same amount of lolicon pandering and most of them are great but he had to ruin his best work by adding unnecessary loli molestation scenes in it.
Oct 3, 2022 6:49 AM

Oct 2008
I love/hate "Shingeki no Kyojin".
If only it was consistent.
If only it's transitions were more seamless.
IF ONLY. But that's not the case, so in stead of just simply loving it, I am slowly beginning to feel the same way for it, as I do towards "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood".
Oct 3, 2022 6:50 AM

Feb 2020
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes. I like the Alternative and TD more than the main series itself.
Oct 3, 2022 6:54 AM

Dec 2019
As much as a love one piece its even in my favorites the pacing can be so bad sometimes lol
Oct 3, 2022 6:56 AM

Oct 2010
I hate everything about evangelion and I love everything about it
Oct 3, 2022 7:37 AM

Dec 2020
Elfen Lied is that show for me, when I first watched it I absolutely hated it.
Now when I think I about it I remember the good parts and think "hey that's actually pretty good why did I hate this?" Then I remember that it's the same show that fetishized sexual abuse.
Oct 3, 2022 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
I love Fate but sometimes I wish someone would tell Nasu and/or Takeuchi to fuck off with some of their ideas. Why did they decide to just turn half of the population into women. Or even worse, come up with some weird ass excuse as to how the actual historical figure is still male, but they're a woman in FGO anyways because reasons. Dawg we know you turned Van Gogh into a girl cuz you're horny and wanna milk waifufags, just be honest and stop coming up with stupid lore to justify it.
Oct 3, 2022 11:14 AM

Apr 2012
Mirai said:
I love Fate but sometimes I wish someone would tell Nasu and/or Takeuchi to fuck off with some of their ideas. Why did they decide to just turn half of the population into women. Or even worse, come up with some weird ass excuse as to how the actual historical figure is still male, but they're a woman in FGO anyways because reasons. Dawg we know you turned Van Gogh into a girl cuz you're horny and wanna milk waifufags, just be honest and stop coming up with stupid lore to justify it.

Keep in mind that meme story about how Artoria turned into a man in order to impregnate another woman with her clone? Damn, I just realized that even with such cheesy writing, Nasu is still making better strong female characters than many other studios.
Oct 3, 2022 11:14 AM

May 2016
Mirai said:
I love Fate but sometimes I wish someone would tell Nasu and/or Takeuchi to fuck off with some of their ideas. Why did they decide to just turn half of the population into women.

I mean, I know what you're referring to, but this probably wasn't the best way to say it (half the population is, in fact, women).

My biggest problem with Nasu is how inconsistent he is. He can write absolute gold ("Heaven's Feel"), but he can also write absolute dogshit ("Fate").

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 3, 2022 11:20 AM
Dec 2017
Square Enix, i love TWEWY,Xenogears and FF7 as well as parasite eve but i sure as hell don't love the stuff they be doin these dys

Oct 3, 2022 11:21 AM

Feb 2021
I hate a love hate relationship with Akame ga Kill.
Oct 3, 2022 11:22 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Mirai said:

Keep in mind that meme story about how Artoria turned into a man in order to impregnate another woman with her clone? Damn, I just realized that even with such cheesy writing, Nasu is still making better strong female characters than many other studios.

Said strong female character artoria is a gender-bend of a very popular myth character but yes he does that well
Oct 3, 2022 11:23 AM

Feb 2016
Satoshi Kon, I love his works, but I hated that he's dead :(
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 3, 2022 11:24 AM

Apr 2012
AnimeFA78N said:
RobertBobert said:

Said strong female characters is a gender-bend of a very popular myth character but yes

Well, at least he rewrites them. Without changing the gender of the stereotypical male protagonist and then adding fanservice.
Oct 3, 2022 11:30 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
AnimeFA78N said:

Said strong female characters is a gender-bend of a very popular myth character but yes

Well, at least he rewrites them. Without changing the gender of the stereotypical male protagonist and then adding fanservice.

Also i wanna add the fact that Lore reason is just excuse yeah

Because in a game with famous historical and mythical figures in it chances are high that 80 to 90% will be male figures cause reasons

so they gotta gender bend some of them in order to keep balance (even if its too much gender bending)

cause hey its gacha and waifu sales more than husbendo with expectations ofc
Oct 3, 2022 11:35 AM

Oct 2016
The more works based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms I consume the more I want to hate Ikkitousen for what it did with it, but I really can't because the series is what made me know about it in the first place.

I almost loved the Bastard!! remake but the grooming was...yeah, and the second cour had too much comebacks, mfs wouldn't die with anything. Still, I really liked it.
Oct 3, 2022 11:35 AM

Apr 2012
AnimeFA78N said:
RobertBobert said:

Also i wanna add the fact that Lore reason is just excuse yeah

Because in a game with famous historical and mythical figures in it chances are high that 80 to 90% will be male figures cause reasons

so they gotta gender bend some of them in order to keep balance (even if its too much gender bending)

cause hey its gacha and waifu sales more than husbendo with expectations ofc

Well, if you look at the same Genshin, then there are only two yuri in the top 10 ships. Because female fandom prefers BL as expected.
Oct 3, 2022 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
CaptainKenshiro said:
The more works based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms I consume the more I want to hate Ikkitousen for what it did with it, but I really can't because the series is what made me know about it in the first place.

I almost loved the Bastard!! remake but the grooming was...yeah, and the second cour had too much comebacks, mfs wouldn't die with anything. Still, I really liked it.

What "grooming" in Bustard you mean ?
Oct 3, 2022 11:45 AM

Aug 2011
Bleach for sure. It was such a good time and one of the first anime I ever watched.. but also the filler was atrocious and it was too much at a certain point.
Oct 3, 2022 11:52 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I have a love hate relationship with Fairy Tail because I'm a huge fan of Hiro Mashima's work since Rave Master. Which is a shame because he's good at drawing sexy female characters besides Tite Kubo. I dropped the Fairy Tail manga, but ended watching the entire anime anyway. The whole power of friendship ass pulls and the excessive plot amour just killed my interest in Fairy Tail since non of the main characters die anyway. I tried reading Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest, but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe the upcoming anime adaptation will change my mind. I kinda like Eden's Zero, but I need to get back to reading it.
Oct 3, 2022 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Mari Okada & Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Okada's characters bounces between highly sympathetic and completely fucking alien. In Ikuhara's case, while I find his directing eccentricities fairly charming, his writing is just mediocre if not outright bad.
removed-userOct 3, 2022 12:20 PM
Oct 3, 2022 12:19 PM

Feb 2022
AOT after the glorious fourth season is the best example lol
Oct 3, 2022 12:19 PM

Apr 2012
El001 said:

Okada's characters bounces between highly sympathetic and completely fucking alien. In Ikuhara's case, while I find his directing eccentricities fairly charming, his writing is just mediocre if not outright bad.

May I know which of his works do you consider bad in terms of script?
Oct 3, 2022 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
El001 said:

Mawaru Penguindrum is the only Ikuhara show I've watched yet. His writing feels, how to put it...mechanical. The character writing feels far too superficial for me to be actually invested in the story. But again, his directing is very inspired.
Oct 3, 2022 12:37 PM

Apr 2012
El001 said:
RobertBobert said:

Mawaru Penguindrum is the only Ikuhara show I've watched yet. His writing feels, how to put it...mechanical. The character writing feels far too superficial for me to be actually invested in the story. But again, his directing is very inspired.

So, are you saying that he is a visionary who does not work well with what cannot be depicted visually?
Oct 3, 2022 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
El001 said:

So, are you saying that he is a visionary who does not work well with what cannot be depicted visually?

Well, yeah. I guess that's a good way to put it.
Oct 3, 2022 12:42 PM
Jan 2021
Berserk... After the golden age, it wasn't as good.. If anyone is being honest he or she can easily point this out... I still like some arcs like FOTME.. Its always hype when griffith comes around..... The characters aren't as well written as before.. Farnese is cool though.. But not golden age level of a main character
Oct 3, 2022 12:43 PM

Apr 2012
El001 said:
RobertBobert said:

Personally, I got the impression that he is a troll fetishist who ingeniously trolls the audience with the gimmick of a sort of arthouse aesthete.
Oct 3, 2022 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
El001 said:

Personally, I got the impression that he is a troll fetishist who ingeniously trolls the audience with the gimmick of a sort of arthouse aesthete.

I don't think he's that bad of a creative in any way. But yeah, that's the problem. His writing just makes people wanna pull their hair out in frustration. As for his directing, I felt like he took inspiration from Shinbou & Bakemonogatari for some of his shots in Penguindrum.
Oct 3, 2022 12:55 PM

Jul 2021
Masami Kurumada - His general idea for Saint Seiya was really cool, characters were cool and the story progression and powerscaling in the main series aren't bad. But everything after that is terrible. Not having control over his IP or not caring enough and letting spin-offs of questionable quality. Starting two stories about the same war at the same time against the same villain we saw on the last arc. Repeating concepts. His art always sucked.
Oct 3, 2022 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
El001 said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't think he's that bad of a creative in any way. But yeah, that's the problem. His writing just makes people wanna pull their hair out in frustration. As for his directing, I felt like he took inspiration from Shinbou & Bakemonogatari for some of his shots in Penguindrum.

The Japanese usually have very visual and symbolic media, so it can be understood. Much of the debate over interpretations stems from cultural differences.
Oct 3, 2022 1:01 PM

Jun 2016
Gundam SEED
Mitsuo Fukuda (the guy behind Gundam SEED)
Gundam IBO
Code Geass
Gorou Taniguchi, Ichiro Ookuchi (the guys behind Code Geass)
Hideaki Anno
Masashi Kishimoto and Naruto
Eiichiro Oda and One Piece
Hiro Mashima
Tite Kubo and Bleach
The animation studios Toei and Deen
Bandai Namco
Anime distributors
Masaaki Yuasa
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 3, 2022 1:04 PM

Apr 2016
Jellybeanx said:
TheNextDoor said:

I believe the main issue with Bungou Stray Dogs is the order in which the events occur. Everything seems out of place at first, but as the seasons' progress, you'll be able to understand what happened many episodes ago. I also began to enjoy the series much more from the 3rd season onwards because many things began to make more sense. I believe Mao Dao Zu Shi follows the same path as BSD in that the events are not chronological and can be difficult to follow at times.

The problem is that Bones not only adapts the manga, but also the prequel light novels, which results in a messy pacing. There's a good reason why the author separated the two. As a result, pacing was never an issue in the manga and the story was much easier to follow. Jumping back and forth between the past and present will obviously leave people confused.
Oct 3, 2022 1:31 PM

Sep 2020
Vlad4o said:
Jellybeanx said:

The problem is that Bones not only adapts the manga, but also the prequel light novels, which results in a messy pacing. There's a good reason why the author separated the two. As a result, pacing was never an issue in the manga and the story was much easier to follow. Jumping back and forth between the past and present will obviously leave people confused.

Yeah, I've had the manga in PTR for quite some time, hopefully, I can make some time to read it. I believe it will be helpful in adding more depth to the story.
Oct 3, 2022 1:53 PM

Sep 2022
Monster I guess. It's a great manga don't get me wrong but Johan's fanboys are almost as bad as Ayanokoji's in the sense they love to pretend their boytoy has Rick Sanchez/The Doctor levels of intelligence and that they can "manipulate Light into writing his own name in the Death Note" even though they've only manipulated fodder highschoolers and farmer detectives. Worst thing is when they start bringing them into powerscaling battles and having shit like Johan vs Saitama, Johan vs Goku, Johan vs Anti-Spiral, Johan vs Hajun, etc because they think he can do what he did to Richard to EVERY other character in fiction ignoring the fact that some of these characters are cosmic deities that won't have any sort of emotion nor value life in a way a human would.
Oct 3, 2022 2:08 PM

Mar 2017
Teasing Master Takagi-san

The first time I tried to watch it (only S1 had aired at the time) I found it painful enough that I had to drop it after a few episodes (and I'm a completionist who almost never drops shows.)

Later I tried it again, managed to get all the way to the end of S3 this time. On the whole it was enjoyable and I can understand better now why some viewers love the show. But the parts that bothered me the first time still did, and it felt like quite a chore to get through them.
mwalimuOct 3, 2022 2:13 PM
A møøse once bit my sister...
Oct 3, 2022 2:09 PM

Sep 2018
Yuasa. Devilman Crybaby, Ping Pong, Eizouken? Yes.

The Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba? No. The Night is Short, Walk on Girl was fine, though.
Oct 3, 2022 2:35 PM

Oct 2016
RobertBobert said:
CaptainKenshiro said:

Between Dark Schneider and Arshes Nei.
Oct 3, 2022 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
CaptainKenshiro said:
RobertBobert said:

Between Dark Schneider and Arshes Nei.

But they are the same age and she seems to be in love with him?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

38 by Rhae »»
6 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

24 by jellylo »»
7 minutes ago

» Can you name a character for each of these features?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

2 by Anjuro »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

21 by MadanielFL »»
10 minutes ago

» What is your "Unlikeliest" Anime

Ratris_Decision - May 27

11 by Rhae »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.