Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people watch anime they know they won't like?

New
Sep 25, 2022 1:57 PM

Jan 2022
Dear MyAnimeList users, why on earth do people bother watching animes where it's obvious from the synopsis/tags that there is something they won't like in it? Common examples include complaining about the power of friendship in battle shonen, complaining about lack of yuri in a all-female cast show, and complaining about fanservice in an ecchi anime. Why do people waste their time watching anime that doesn't interest them and complaining about it on the internet instead of spending it watching/reading something they'll actually like?

Edit: fixed punctuation

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2022 2:06 PM

Mar 2021
*From experience* if I want to shit on an anime for being trash, I feel like I can't properly do so if I haven't actually watched. It's like imagine calling an album trash but you haven't listened yet.

Even though you know you won't like it, you have to watch it in order to have ammunition for when you tell other people how trash it is. That's how I am currently with One Punch Man and Fate/Zero
Sep 25, 2022 2:10 PM

Feb 2014
Because it works both ways, there are animes I think I might enjoy and along the way I find it trash and trash anime that by watching I find it good. I didn't think I would like Tate no Yuusha because I'm fed up with isekai, but I do and on the other hand I thought I would love Komi-san, but I didn't.
Sep 25, 2022 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
You won't know whether you will like it or not unless you watch it. Maybe the execution of the anime can be so great that despite the presence of an unlikeable trait, the anime turns out to be a good experience.
Sep 25, 2022 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
People love to complain about things and to torture themselves.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 25, 2022 2:38 PM
Dec 2019
HatsuneYugi39 said:
Dear MyAnimeList users, why on earth do people bother watching animes where it's obvious from the synopsis/tags that there is something they won't like in it? Common examples include complaining about the power of friendship in battle shonen, complaining about lack of yuri in a all-female cast show, and complaining about fanservice in an ecchi anime. Why do people waste their time watching anime that doesn't interest them and complaining about it on the internet instead of spending it watching/reading something they'll actually like?

Edit: fixed punctuation

Honestly, I have one system for watching anime. If it has a hot character (even if it`s a NPC that will stay in 2 frames and never show up again in an anime, even if it has 100+ eps) I will watch it. That`s just one of my rules. As you can see there are lots of weird reasons why someone would watch something. And, when I started watching anime early on I though I`d hate certain animes or tags that anime has (such as romance and slice of life), but eventually I grew to like those as well, so I like experimenting if you`d say too. Better to shit on something you actually watched than talk bad stuff about something you haven`t even checked out, that`s something I really hate when people do. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Sep 25, 2022 2:40 PM

Mar 2020
>Everybody praised Jojo
>everybody was fucking annoying about it
>I go watch Jojo to confirm if it's as bad as I think since I gathered negative bias from the shitty fans
>it's fucking worse than I ever thought it would be
>now I can openly talk about how shitty it is

there you go
Sep 25, 2022 3:32 PM

Sep 2018
I personally like to try anything, because there's always a chance to subvert my expectations. Then, since there's no time to watch every existing anime, I'll drop as soon as possible.

I believe that an anime just needs to excel at one specific thing to be good or even great, so it's always possible for an anime with an unappealing premise to have some hidden qualities.
Sep 25, 2022 3:42 PM
Aug 2021
you're the one who tell me. let me know.
Sep 25, 2022 3:59 PM

Feb 2019
Fast-food animes : seasonal animes I know I won't like but won't dislike either and forget next season => mediocre shows (for summer 2022 for me Kuro no Shoukanshi, Kinsou no Vermeil)
Sep 25, 2022 4:19 PM

Dec 2019
i get second hand embarrassment from dickriders criticising the hell outta a show they've never seen whilst acting they've knowledgeable about it, hence you should at least watch a few eps so your arguments are eligible
Sep 25, 2022 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
It's most likely just masochism.

Those30chars
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 25, 2022 5:42 PM

Dec 2014
For me its to find the few rare titles in genres i generally hate in anime format

for every 30 romance anime's i drop or force my self to finish 1 really good pops up

for every 30 drama anime's i fall asleep watching or somehow finish w/o droping i find 1 good one

got a few more genres but you get the point

Sep 25, 2022 5:49 PM

Nov 2019
You can't find gold if you don't start digging.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 25, 2022 5:58 PM

Feb 2021
Because Rebel Panda makes a career of hating on popular shows that he finds too "problematic"
Sep 25, 2022 6:01 PM

Nov 2013
People watch things for different reasons. Personally I'm pretty open to anything and often won't even read the synopsis of a show before watching it, I like to let things surprise me for better or worse. I can't speak for everyone obviously but I'm sure a lot of people are in a similar boat and just watch whatever and will naturally run into shows they don't like because of it. There are some people though for certain who actively seek out shows they don't like specifically for the purpose of complaining or arguing with people about it, it just is what it is.
Sep 25, 2022 6:03 PM

Mar 2021
people don't like other people's tastes for some reason.
Sep 25, 2022 6:41 PM

Aug 2018
because they can, i guess, i don't know
Sep 25, 2022 11:51 PM

Dec 2014
I think sometimes it is good to try anime out of your comfort zone, this way you may find new anime that you like and it may get you to explore new genres that you may have not watched previously.
Sep 26, 2022 12:17 AM

Oct 2008
What Icetype said.
Also because if you only watch what you know you'll enjoy, after some time IT WILL get boring. And that may lead to you getting bored of anime altogether.
Anime doesn't stay the same, but it also takes it's sweet time changing. So it's dangerous to only focus on what you like and not experiment occasionally.

Plus if you're worried about wasting time. It doesn't matter how good the anime, movie or series you're watching is, ultimately there's always something more productive to spend your time on, rather than being stuck in front of your screen.
Sep 26, 2022 12:20 AM

Jul 2020
bc
a. they want to lower their score
b. they are masochists

Sep 26, 2022 12:27 AM

Jul 2019
Most people don't even pay attention to the tags or themes to begin with, or understand what they mean. Not even joking.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 26, 2022 12:39 AM
Apr 2021
1. tons of anime & manga i ended up loving didn't seem interesting at first. like soul eater, link click, anything by mozou crystal.
2. you get credibility when reviewing or commenting on shows, most useful when you're criticizing
3. synopsis and tags often lie, or leave out information. like i really hate romances where the two leads have an age gap, and often that's not tagged at all.
and most of all
4. watching bad shows, and ones with tropes you dislike, helps inform your taste better, and help you appreciate good shows more.
Sep 26, 2022 12:41 AM

Feb 2020
I'd rather drop the show it it's too annoying or boring.
Sep 26, 2022 12:57 AM

Apr 2020
Ye.... I know the type ---> "Don't like it, don't watch it" ... That's like beeing a football Fan, only watching the best games of the Season, not knowing nor understanding anything about the sport, cause you only see the best bits of it.

Here the thing
Why don't you let people just complain about and/or critique their Anime, however they like? They don't like something and they wanna put it out there? Fine, isn't it?

YOU only do watch stuff you'll like. You are enlightened. You only do things you really want to do and you can't understand people who complain about Anime. I mean...just don't watch it! Genius^^ Everyone else is pretty much just wasting their time, while you got it right ;)

We got it. You cracked the code. Damn we all feel stupid now...I sure do ...why tf did I watch Show's, even if I didn't think it was a 10/10?

Take your own advice, my little dude....and stop complaining :)
Sep 26, 2022 1:06 AM

Oct 2018
People like Icetype are the majority in anime elitists circle. For some unknown reason, people like that feel like they achieved a sense of accomplishment winning an argument through a keyboard. Those same people, when you meet them in real life are the ones who always kneel and asking for forgiveness for everything they do cause they suck and can only focusing on trashing people online.

If you say you wanna try watching something outside your comfort zone, then try it knowing you most likely won't like it and there's no need to act Rambo against everyone who likes it.
Sep 26, 2022 1:13 AM

Jun 2016
So I can shit on it and nothing else. Also the argument that if you don't like it don't watch it is very stupid as everyone is allowed to watch trash and then take a dump on it. It's just a way to criticise the show, this is the way for an anime to build a fanbase and also people who criticise it. Like imagine only people who like the show are talking about it and it will be boring. However I won't criticise people who watch it as just like me they are allowed to love and hate things with their own understanding. Like I enjoy berserk so if anyone is hating berserk then its perfectly fine.

Watch it if you feel like watching it and not because you don't like it as most often its you who can't handle the criticism on that said anime so it might be better that you don't go to internet forums as there are people who are expressing their opinion on said anime/manga.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Sep 26, 2022 1:56 AM

May 2018
"Why do people watch anime they know they won't like?"

1. Maybe they want to learn something about the genre, the authors or the visual techniques used in the show. If we are talking about an old title, they could be be interested in anime history and legacy.
2. Sometimes shows from certain genres go against the rules and the trends, thus delivering creating something refreshing.
3. Going outside of your comfort zone can change your views on what is enjoyable in general.
4. Anime reviewers (like the non-troll variety) sometimes are forced to suffer for the good of their readers/subscribers.
5. And last but not least there's always a chance for a "so bad it's good" show.

...anything besides those or similar cases is a result of peer pressure or masochism.
Sep 26, 2022 2:03 AM

Mar 2021
to be able to shit and make fun of it properly
Sep 26, 2022 2:23 AM

Aug 2020
I don't think you can know that unless you DO watch it. Synopsis and/tags don't dictate either (assuming they even look at them itfp like those who go into an anime blindly) coz they don't exactly represent the whole package.

Back then i thought to myself that i wouldn't like OPM. Fast forward to earlier this year where i finally sit down and watched it, it's now one of my favs.
Sep 26, 2022 2:33 AM

Sep 2008
Typically, I usually watch something mediocre or unknowingly bad if I'm trying to find something to get me by for an older title or for anything new, I see that I'm close to wrapping it up as far as episodes go and just decide to stick with it to get it done and over with.
Sep 26, 2022 2:35 AM

Jan 2021
Because I want to hate it properly...
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Sep 26, 2022 2:46 AM

Apr 2020
to stay up-to-date of course
or in my case to understand what my crush liked

Sep 26, 2022 2:53 AM

Sep 2019
In my case, I am a completionist (though I have already dropped four shows), so I would watch the show until I finished it unless it was truly unbearable and not worth the suffering.
Sep 26, 2022 2:58 AM

Dec 2012
You can't trash talk an anime without watching it
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Sep 26, 2022 3:12 AM

Oct 2019
I don't.

If I watch something I started it thinking I would like it. I may have thought wrong, but I never go into something with the intention of not liking it.

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Sep 26, 2022 3:12 AM

May 2018
Pietru said:
You can't trash talk an anime without watching it

Yes you can.
The less you know about the show the more hilarious your trash take would be. Trashier.
Sep 26, 2022 4:51 AM
Apr 2022
masochists, completionists, self proclaimed critics, people who are held at gun point to watch bad animes against their will, etc.
Sep 26, 2022 5:20 AM

Jul 2021
All haters who got no life and dedicate their time to shit on animes present in one thread. Oh god what a cesspool.

Watching an anime you won't like just to shit on it is extremely cringe. I feel pity and sadness for such people.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 26, 2022 7:09 AM

Jul 2013
Honestly, idk... Personally it's a waste of time to watch something I know I'm not gonna like, it'll be one thing to watch three episodes and drop it leave your opinion, fine I don't mind it, speak your about it and leave. But to watch the whole thing and complain about it on every thread, that's just... NO.

Sep 26, 2022 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly so I can experience why so many people dislike that title. I've tortured myself with a bunch of shows at this point.
Sep 26, 2022 8:25 AM

Jun 2022
Probably because most of the users here are obsessed with quantty rather than quality.
Sep 26, 2022 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Real haters don't need to watch a show to trash it
Can I get an Amen?
Sep 26, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2015
From my experience, it's usually out of pure curiosity. I'm not always expecting to watch an anime because I believe it's going to be - at least - good. Sometimes I just want to watch something without having any expectations. Plus, if it's bad, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's boring. In my book, being boring is worse than being "just bad"

If I have to assume why most people do that, I think it's one of these:

1) They simply want to have an opinion. They have no interest in entertainment. All they really want is to gather enough information to form an opinion and express it. And in order to do that, you have to give it a try

2) An extension to the previous one: They like complaining about stuff they don't like, and they want to irritate others by trash-talking.
Sep 26, 2022 12:00 PM

Jul 2017
Here are some possible reasons as to why some people decide to watch shows that they find unenjoyable:

Sep 26, 2022 12:05 PM

Apr 2021
........to make sure?

[Character limit]
Sep 26, 2022 3:13 PM

Apr 2015
I question this everytime I see an anime with ecchi tag, and see people who clearly don't like ecchi, shitting up the reviews and forum about how the ecchi ruins the show for them. Like really? You don't like the genre, but you're gonna watch the show anyway and then bitch and complain? Shove off.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Sep 26, 2022 4:50 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I don't watch anime i know i won't like

Sep 27, 2022 10:09 AM

Dec 2019
Ah yes, "Why do people watch anime they know they won't like?" thread #745547089879587935269875793285879226508757875903897398. My favorite.

Worth it for the experience and to "acquire taste". I like to try everything, just so I can know what they're like and review them, analyze them or criticize them afterwards. I want to be a writer so by watching bad shows I'll know what NOT to do, and because I also want to be a reviewer, and a good reviewer watches everything so they know what they're talking about. Not because they're "nEgAtIvE" or "hAtE aNiMe" like some idiots say. It's like trying a food you know you won't like. Okay, you tried it, and you didn't like it, as you expected. Now you know what it's like. Knowledge acquired. You also now have something to point to whenever someone asks you if there's a dish you consider "bad".
Sep 27, 2022 10:17 AM

Feb 2021
TheAngryNerd said:
Ah yes, "Why do people watch anime they know they won't like?" thread #745547089879587935269875793285879226508757875903897398. My favorite.

Worth it for the experience and to "acquire taste". I like to try everything, just so I can know what they're like and review them, analyze them or criticize them afterwards. I want to be a writer so by watching bad shows I'll know what NOT to do, and because I also want to be a reviewer, and a good reviewer watches everything so they know what they're talking about. Not because they're "nEgAtIvE" or "hAtE aNiMe" like some idiots say. It's like trying a food you know you won't like. Okay, you tried it, and you didn't like it, as you expected. Now you know what it's like. Knowledge acquired. You also now have something to point to whenever someone asks you if there's a dish you consider "bad".
ryo-san said:
I don't watch anime i know i won't like

Me too. Only money spending, nothing more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

68 by Slimsith »»
1 minute ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

170 by FFandMMfan »»
4 minutes ago

» Need an anime expert to help answer my questions

CovertSphinx - 8 minutes ago

0 by CovertSphinx »»
8 minutes ago

» when was the last time you truly fell in love with a character and vice versa?

ame - May 24

26 by Slimsith »»
9 minutes ago

» Do people actually enjoy ero guro??? ( 1 2 )

Titan420 - Mar 7, 2021

88 by traed »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.