Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on pathetic/loser main characters?

New
Jan 23, 2022 7:12 AM
Jul 2016
Pathetic, wimpy, virgin, loser main characters are typically meant to be self-insert characters. Thus, a lot of people don't like them.

Personally, I tend to like these characters. I might be a sadist. Or I just really like vulnerable men. Of course, it depends on the character.

-Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Absolutely adorable boy with daddy issues. Although, I don't appreciate his "lowest of the low" behavior in the hospital.

- Senpai from "Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatora"
Precious. I love his fluffy sheep hair. He also has embarrassing hobbies and he's fun to tease.

- Keyaru from "Redo of Healer"
Cutie pie. Poor thing goes crazy from getting tortured and drugged. He's not as cute after transforming to Keyaruga.

- Wakana Gojo from "My Dress-up Darling"
Pure. Baby has no friends or romantic experience to speak of. Super shy and insecure. Talks to dolls. He's so cute, and I want to hug him.

Some loser characters I'm less into.

- Rudeus from "Mushoku Tensei"
He's sympathetic and kinda entertaining to watch. But he's not cute (pre-isekai) and kinda of a lolicon. Gross. Pervert.

- Subaru from "Re:Zero"
Kinda cute, but he's also kinda cringe. He also becomes popular with girls post-isekai. I do like his crying scenes though.

-Hachiman from "Oregairu"
Too much of a sarcastic smartass to be cute. I do like his interactions with Saika. I like the dead-fish eyes, as well. His crying scenes are also topnotch.

Edit: I neglected to mention some other pathetic characters.

- Tomoko from " Watamote"
Cute and certifiably insane. Definitely waifu material lmao.

- Sawako from "Kimi ni Todoke"
Unpopular, but super shy and cute and insecure. Pure baby with no hint of malice. She tries so hard, and it makes me want to root for her.

- Serinuma from "Kiss him, not me"
Unpopular, fat otaku girl turned bombshell. Adorable and Horny on Main lmaooooo. Not particularly wimpy though.

- Miyamura from "Horimiya"
Shy megane-kun, with a secret bad boy side. Definitely had more pathetic nature in middle school, which changed after meeting Hori. Definitely whipped, but his pathetic nature basically vanishes after getting a girlfriend. Still cute tho.

erikkamirsJan 23, 2022 12:13 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 23, 2022 7:15 AM

Feb 2021
I do like Shinji but I hate Takemichi
Jan 23, 2022 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
I like them
We need pathetic characters to contrast/work off other characters
They can also get good character development arcs
For example,
Don't toy with me miss nagatoro would be infintesimally more boring if he was a giga chad who doesn't get fazed by her
Jan 23, 2022 7:21 AM

Oct 2018
Jacuzzi Splot will forever be the only good whiny character

Jan 23, 2022 7:24 AM

Sep 2018
Shinji, Rudeus and Keyaru were okay, but most of the time they're just boring clichés.
Jan 23, 2022 7:29 AM

Nov 2020
It's cool but too repeatitive on shonen : same personality, same taste and same development

Jan 23, 2022 7:29 AM

Jun 2017
erikkamirs said:
Pathetic, wimpy, virgin, loser main characters are typically meant to be self-insert characters. Thus, a lot of people don't like them.

Personally, I tend to like these characters. I might be a sadist. Or I just really like vulnerable men. Of course, it depends on the character.

Absolutely adorable boy with daddy issues. Although, I don't appreciate his "lowest of the low" behavior in the hospital.

Precious. I love his fluffy sheep hair. He also has embarrassing hobbies and he's fun to tease.

Cutie pie. Poor thing goes crazy from getting tortured and drugged. He's not as cute after transforming to Keyaruga.

Pure. Baby has no friends or romantic experience to speak of. Super shy and insecure. Talks to dolls. He's so cute, and I want to hug him.

He's sympathetic and kinda entertaining to watch. But he's not cute (pre-isekai) and kinda of a lolicon. Gross. Pervert.

Kinda cute, but he's also kinda cringe. He also becomes popular with girls post-isekai. I do like his crying scenes though.

Too much of a sarcastic smartass to be cute. I do like his interactions with Saika. I like the dead-fish eyes, as well. His crying scenes are also topnotch.

Bruh how do people still think Subaru is a weak character? Sure, he cries a lot, but the man kept going after dying out of nowhere. He might not be a gigachad like Kirito, but come on... Is that better? Subaru's character is one of the most realistic ones out there
Jan 23, 2022 7:31 AM

Dec 2020
I dislike people who trash on pathetic/loser main characters more than actual pathetic/loser main characters.

Jan 23, 2022 7:34 AM

May 2016
I like Subaru and Hachiman infinitely more, because they're proactive and have some actual character to speak of. They get shit done, albeit with some embarrassing moments on the way. Self-insert weak-asses don't work, because who wants to see themselves as a useless, stuttering mess.

Gojo is really ruining Dress-up Darling for me right now. A functional human being has to forcefully drag him through conversations, and frankly, in real life anybody would've just assumed he doesn't like being around them and left. So pure, he's about to bust taking measurements, which is borderline creepy on top of making that entire scene exhaustingly long. He's just boring. And yes, an average person is boring, but if I wanted to watch that, I'd look in the mirror or go outside.
Jan 23, 2022 7:36 AM

May 2015
I don't think those charaters are meant for self-insertion. Their pathetic wimpyness is overexagerated on the one hand for the sake of comedy and on the other hand for the the reason that even a total beta would feel that "fuck even I would be more manly in that situaation". The problem with these characters is that most of the times they are irritating af.
Jan 23, 2022 7:38 AM

Oct 2010
I want to strangle them or punch them in the face
Jan 23, 2022 7:44 AM
Feb 2021
erikkamirs said:

Subaru is of the most realistic characters in anime ever. Almost all of us would reacts just like him if we are going trough the things that he experiences.
Jan 23, 2022 7:50 AM

Nov 2021
I like them although the trend seems to be "losers" improving themselves which seem to gloss over portraying how brutal being a "loser" is.
Welcome to the NHK is a good example of what a downward spiral is like.

Jan 23, 2022 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
I don't have a strong hate for them like most people do. But at the same time, their lives are just too rough and sad for me to feel any kind of relatability to them.
Jan 23, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2016
I don't particularly like or dislike them. The hate they get from people who are probably off worse in rl is ridiculous, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 8:03 AM
Jul 2016
blackandwhite_ said:
erikkamirs said:

Subaru is of the most realistic characters in anime ever. Almost all of us would reacts just like him if we are going trough the things that he experiences.

Mostly referring to his pre-isekai shut-in days. He becomes too cool to really qualify as a loser character after reincarnating. Even if he's still kinda cringe lmaooooo. His crybaby scenes are mostly a remnant of his wimpy character. I love his traumatic breakdowns. Because even under his attempts to be a cool, strong knight, he's still baby. He also doesn't breakdown often enough to be wimpy though.
Jan 23, 2022 8:13 AM

Dec 2015
It depends to be honest, I do like these types of character as long as it is more relatable or more in realistic view as for example Gojo from dress up darling or slightly Subaru/Hachiman, but I do hate if they are so strict with their personality which is insane or unreasonable the best example is the Main Character for Shuumatsu no harem, like who the hell would even act like that x)
Jan 23, 2022 8:14 AM
Jun 2020
Hachiman isn't a self insert, jesus christ. Why do people think this in the first place? He's not a normal character, he had fucking issues.

This is what happens when a character has some relatable qualities and people just turn the entire character into that. It's not that one-dimensional.
Jan 23, 2022 8:16 AM

Feb 2017
I tend to really dislike the otaku type of loser characters as they're too cringey. Or characters who are loud and whiney, like Zenitsu from Demon Slayer.

I usually like emotionally vulnerable characters tho. like Shinji is alright
Jan 23, 2022 8:23 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
I love Rudy, Subaru and Hachiman is aight.
Rudy ain't just a loser, he is never shown to be the loser, his past is that of a loser.

Jan 23, 2022 8:33 AM

Jul 2019
People really twist Hachiman's cynical personality as something of a loser baffles me. The subtext and character writing just go over these people's heads. It's really a shame cause people now justify Rent a Girlfriend's MC as something to be proud of.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 23, 2022 8:34 AM

Jun 2008
I relate with them and they add something different to the narrative. I have more issues relating to characters who 'just do it for a sense of honor and justice,' because not many people think like that in the real world. Even the most alpha of alpha males still have to weigh moral consequences and consider their actions/emotions. They may not express it as much as someone like Shinji, but they are very much thinking about it at night.
Jan 23, 2022 8:54 AM

Jul 2021
Welcome to the NHK perfected that cliché 16 years ago already, there is not much else to add to it.
Jan 23, 2022 9:06 AM
Jan 2021
I hate kakehashi from platinum end, like he is the *worst* mc ever.
Someone who started similar was Kei kurono from GANTZ but he became a total Badass since the Temple Alien Arc.
Jan 23, 2022 9:17 AM

Nov 2019
Subaru is stronger and more intelligent than the average person of his age. I mean as a person he is definitely more capable and talented than the people who complain about him.
It's just he was on a low point in his life when he was isekaied and the new world didn't gift him a convenient power system to hack into, like other generic OP self-insert isekai protagonists.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jan 23, 2022 2:25 PM

Nov 2020
I don't have a problem with pathetic losers if they are done right, like Satou from Welcome to the NHK and Shinji from Eva. It's all been covered in this thread already, but if they have a vulnerability or a great reason to be an annoying coward then it can add to the character and make them better than cliché chad archetype characters
Jan 23, 2022 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
It depends. Shinji has at least actual reasons why he feels sorry for himself... and he's 14, so my mother instincts kick in lol.

But most of these loser characters are just empty vessels, because the author is too scared to create a protagonist with a real personality and he thinks the audience could fill him with their own thoughts. These characters are often like... everyone and no one at the same time.

Jan 23, 2022 3:35 PM

Aug 2019
I don’t give a fuck as long as said character is well written
Jan 23, 2022 7:37 PM

Jan 2022
All boring compared to this master character.

Teacher for life, virgin for life, but also a highly capable teacher and master psychopath, — the charming jester's smile.
Jan 23, 2022 9:21 PM

Jan 2020
Annoying and I'm usually not a fan of them

Jul 10, 2022 2:18 PM

May 2021
erikkamirs said:

Edit: I neglected to mention some other pathetic characters.

- Tomoko from " Watamote"
Cute and certifiably insane. Definitely waifu material lmao.

- Sawako from "Kimi ni Todoke"
Unpopular, but super shy and cute and insecure. Pure baby with no hint of malice. She tries so hard, and it makes me want to root for her.

- Serinuma from "Kiss him, not me"
Unpopular, fat otaku girl turned bombshell. Adorable and Horny on Main lmaooooo. Not particularly wimpy though.

- Miyamura from "Horimiya"
Shy megane-kun, with a secret bad boy side. Definitely had more pathetic nature in middle school, which changed after meeting Hori. Definitely whipped, but his pathetic nature basically vanishes after getting a girlfriend. Still cute tho.

Actually, Subaru doesn't really become popular with girls. Dunno where you got that. There's only 2 girls that love him, one a bit confused about her emotions and the other platonically. The rest, at best, respect him due to his apparent feats.

Jul 10, 2022 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
They don't bother me. Their lives tend to be depicted so miserable that it's hard to relate them.
Jul 10, 2022 2:27 PM

Jul 2022
Guys, what do you think about Raki from Claymore? Imo, impossible to like him.
Jul 10, 2022 2:35 PM

Sep 2018
These male characters you listed are considered losers for lacking looks. Goes to show how shallow such criticisms are imo. Average males in anime are to appeal to the male fantasy just as self insert females are to shoujo. Virgins like the Uzaki senpai would be above such status for having looks. My opinion is that if you dislike such characters, just watch or read media targeted at what you like.
Jul 10, 2022 2:59 PM

May 2020
LordSozin said:
People really twist Hachiman's cynical personality as something of a loser baffles me. The subtext and character writing just go over these people's heads. It's really a shame cause people now justify Rent a Girlfriend's MC as something to be proud of.

Who are these Kazuya stans, do such creatures really exist?

Maybe try sleeping?

Jul 10, 2022 3:06 PM

Sep 2020
I like them because I can identify with them.
Jul 10, 2022 3:10 PM

Aug 2018
OP is surprisingly thoughtful. What a breath of fresh air. The thread title convinced me this would be another "alpha male" complaining about those darn betas.

A couple of my favorite losers:

Haruho from High Score Girl:

Keima from Kaminomi:

Both of them are pretty similar in that they're obsessed with videogames. Keima mainly only plays dating sim types and is pretty cynical about 3d girls and obviously has some self-esteem issues. He's hilarious though and sometimes the cynical words he says makes a lot of sense.

Haruho on the other hand just loves having fun playing games. He doesn't even think about girls. He is completely oblivious to them. He is 100% genuine with no pretentiousness whatsoever. Just a really great guy. I love him to pieces.
epidemia78Jul 10, 2022 3:36 PM
Feb 12, 2023 3:19 PM
Mar 2022
Sadly its all basically to pander to the world class basement dwelling otaku life reject and losers. The are sadly and patheticley desgined to be as much of a shit show cowardly pathetic character as the target audience. 
Feb 12, 2023 3:22 PM

Mar 2016
Just a tad overused,and often predictable.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Feb 12, 2023 5:25 PM

Apr 2015
Gutzdeep42 said:
Sadly its all basically to pander to the world class basement dwelling otaku life reject and losers. The are sadly and patheticley desgined to be as much of a shit show cowardly pathetic character as the target audience. 
Dude, who hurt you? This reeks of edginess. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 12, 2023 6:52 PM

Nov 2022
We need female characters like that.

Then I can dominate these pitiful girls.

I do not want any male characters like that.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Feb 12, 2023 7:03 PM

Apr 2022
Like, who cares if they're a loser? Being the protagonist doesn't protect you from being a loser that I know.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Feb 12, 2023 7:43 PM

Aug 2016
I dont like or dislike these type of characters. Everything I care about is if it does something creative, interesting or funny with them.
:v
Feb 13, 2023 12:44 AM

Dec 2013
There are two types of protagonists that annoy me, because Japan has a hard time making them even remotely likable:

This is my opinion, you should tell me why I'm wrong, if you feel so inclined.
Feb 13, 2023 1:21 AM

Sep 2021
9 times out of 10 I don't like them and they're my least liked characters in the show, in the event that they're either wimpy for a reason good enough for me to get behind or they actually develop beyond that for good then I don't mind it 
Feb 13, 2023 12:30 PM

Jan 2020
I love them, I have a whole (WIP) interest stack dedicated to loser/weird anime girls. 

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Feb 13, 2023 12:37 PM

Apr 2021
I read the title and immediately think about Kazuya from Rent-a-girlfriend. Oh, he makes me so angry. 

If there is a good reason for their behaviour and they're entertaining to watch, it can be very powerful. 
Feb 13, 2023 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
Most of these types of characters aren't even that pathetic, they're just much closer to being average than some chad. The whole "self-insert" thing is also constantly misused, it's just easier to write characters with flaws and problems, not only is this relatable to audiences, but it leaves more room for growth. Every character is pretty much a "self-insert" if you're just looking for power fantasy escapism. Also, the real best characters to "self-insert" into are some of these zero personality NPC protagonists, because there was nothing there to begin with. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 13, 2023 1:07 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Those losers Should be beaten up the main female characters.. And if it's romantic then she should keep the pathetic male character as a stress reliever like a pet dog..and get a real man

Feb 13, 2023 1:19 PM
Feb 2019
The have potential for interesting character development when done right, but they can get boring at times.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Let's create an AD Community Interest Stack ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

102 by Shizuna »»
17 seconds ago

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - 6 hours ago

3 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 7 hours ago

22 by Klaudixia »»
9 minutes ago

» How do y'all watch such long series? ( 1 2 )

erikkamirs - Feb 19, 2022

84 by iirayuki »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

78 by ModsZone »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.