Forum Settings
Forums

Disney remakes and the never ending lazy pattern of remakes.

New
Jun 22, 2021 1:50 PM

Jul 2016
This is rather indicative of a slothful and uncreative society The new Snow White film is an example of just rehashing old stories and ruining them.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 2021 1:55 PM

Apr 2020
I'm waiting for studio Glibi live-action remakes
Jun 22, 2021 1:56 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah, Disney ruined The Lion King and Aladdin (two of my most cherished films from my childhood) with the live action / CGI remakes.
Jun 22, 2021 1:58 PM

Jul 2019
needs some ez money tho lmao. Disney is kinda shit in that respect, but again, it is there for the money.
Jun 22, 2021 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
Snow white? What snow white? Don't tell me they're making another one of them remakes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 22, 2021 2:33 PM

Jul 2016
Theo1899 said:
Snow white? What snow white? Don't tell me they're making another one of them remakes.

Well I wouldn't call this new movie snow white, but rather black ice.
Jun 22, 2021 2:47 PM

Mar 2011
How would you try to ensure public domain creations are only referenced or thought of as your own?
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jun 22, 2021 2:49 PM

Jun 2011
I don't even understand why people watch these live-action versions. Anyone with half a brain cell can tell the animated versions are better.
Jun 22, 2021 2:54 PM

Jul 2016
The new remake of "snow white" really annoys me, because I used to watch the original Snow White animated film on VHS when was a kid, along with Black Hawk Down.
Jun 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Mar 2008
It's Disney. Their storytelling for films were as much if not more "lazy" in the past than now. They literally just adapting old folk tales or literature and make them more child friendly to modern expectations. They do more original stuff now with animated films. The animation itself is more lazy in a way but not the story telling. As for the live action films I haven't really seen many but Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent were good without feeling like they "ruined" anything. Even the ones that are totally money grabs don't truely ruin the originals just be disrespectful to them at times at most because often there already had been many live action films of the same stories done by others than Disney. For example the oldest Beauty & the Beast live action film was so old it was in black and white and predated Disney's animation. There were other types of films made by other's than Disney for example Hook which was meant as a sort of sequel of Peter Pan wasn't made by Disney and no one said it ruined Peter Pan. I think bad sequels and tv series do more to ruin an original but not really totally because everyone knows how Disney rolls as a corporation of character branding so it's to be expected.

But looking up their upcoming ones I see Bambi. Are they really are going to try to pull that one off? Lol
Jun 22, 2021 4:40 PM

Sep 2019
I DON'T EVEN BOTHER WATCHING ANYTHING NEW DISNEY RELEASES ANYMORE.
Jun 22, 2021 11:22 PM

Jul 2014
The sooner their monopoly comes crashing down, the better. So tired of the contemporary cinematic landscape which is so sanitized, cynical and creatively bankrupt.

Disney have a lot to answer for on a cultural level in general tbh.
Take care of yourself

Jun 22, 2021 11:31 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
"slothful and uncreative"

I am pretty sure Disney can get some quality financial advice from you on how to make profitable movies and build an empire.
Jun 22, 2021 11:43 PM

Jun 2013
Every remake they did now is racial propaganda
Jun 22, 2021 11:45 PM

May 2020
My question is why people even bother watching these movies. I see people shitting on them online but when it comes to box office, these movies are still financially viable.

If consumers just let these movies bomb, Disney would stop making them.
Jun 22, 2021 11:50 PM

Feb 2010
It's silly that you're going after Disney for something every corporation under the sun does.

The land before time has still been ongoing for years, even though the quality continues to get worse with every new film.

If Disney didn't make remakes, they would have to give up their copyright because they haven't made those products in years.

The Disney remakes aren't merely a cash grab. They are made to keep hold of a patent.

It's the same reason Nintendo rehashes the same super Mario bros. And pokemon makes remakes of old generations and why things like fate/starwars/star trek/jurrasic park/etc will continue churning out sequels. regardless of quality.

TitanInsane said:
My question is why people even bother watching these movies. I see people shitting on them online but when it comes to box office, these movies are still financially viable.

If consumers just let these movies bomb, Disney would stop making them.

Why did it take 5 bayformers movie before people stopped?

snow whites actor is Rachel Zegler

I don't remember much about Disney's Snow white other then poison apples dwarves and witches. (i fell asleep watching it when i was a kid and have continued to get drowsy any time i try to re watch that film

Honestly would rather have an Atlantis reboot or Treasure Planet reboot.

GrimAtramentJun 23, 2021 12:11 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 23, 2021 1:49 PM

Apr 2015
Never understood the idea that a remake or sequel ruins anything. It doesn't erase the original from existence nor its merits, quality or history. If we're gonna shit on Disney, instead of remakes lets shit on them for changing the actual original films years after, either by removing something or adding god awful extra scenes that were cut out from the storyboard for a reason. Like that stupid Zazu's morning report song in the special edition version. That ruins The Lion King, not the "live" remake.

Disney's remakes have been mediocre at best. I don't have any hate boner towards them. They're just really inoffensive that they suit moments when you want some background noises or popcorn flick. I might watch Cruella since a youtuber who makes movie reviews mentioned it having some solid things going on, and I have generally found myself agreeing with him on movies. But if people actually want different and interesting takes on Disney's movies, they should just watch Disney musicals.

Remakes as a whole are not necessarily bad or telling of lack of creativity. Remakes that I like include The thing, The Blob, The fly, Suspiria, The ring and The hills have eyes. Sort of guilty pleasure of mine is I spit on your grave remake, it does some things better than the original while lacking on some other areas. Oh yeah, and I'm expecting some good things from the Candyman remake.

ThatRazorGuy said:
The sooner their monopoly comes crashing down, the better.
That's an optimistic view, believing Disney at this stage could actually fail as a company.
konkeloJun 23, 2021 2:05 PM
Jun 23, 2021 2:23 PM

Jul 2014
149597871 said:

I am pretty sure Disney can get some quality financial advice from you on how to make profitable movies and build an empire.

Profitability =/= quality or creativity
Take care of yourself

Jun 23, 2021 2:42 PM

Nov 2016
Wasn't there a live action snow white not too long ago that even got a spinoff with Chris Hemsworth? I get that nostagia is strong with these stories but how are people still throwing their money at these movies?
Jun 23, 2021 2:48 PM

May 2013
Disney is shit but the useless NPCs are going to watch their movies anyway since Disney sells them a shitty identity.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jun 23, 2021 2:50 PM

Dec 2015
Has anyone actually ever read Snow White?
It's like 25 pages long and at the end the wicked step mother is forced to wear red hot iron slippers and dance until she dies.
Jun 23, 2021 7:28 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
ThatRazorGuy said:
149597871 said:

I can ensure you that Disney is not doing this for the sake of artistic creativity. Their stocks appreciated nearly 500% over the past decade, which is one of the many proofs that their model is working flawlessly (and that there is a market for it).
Jun 23, 2021 7:30 PM
Jan 2021
modern disney is a disgusting shit show
Jun 23, 2021 7:39 PM

Jul 2014
149597871 said:
ThatRazorGuy said:

I can ensure you that Disney is not doing this for the sake of artistic creativity. Their stocks appreciated nearly 500% over the past decade, which is one of the many proofs that their model is working flawlessly.

Not gonna dispute that. But no one in this thread, myself included, is criticizing Disney on a financial level. Our misgivings with the company have to do with their lack of originality and creative integrity.
Take care of yourself

Jun 23, 2021 7:46 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
To be honest, the remakes are just for easy money. Luca is ehhhh atleast, Cruella looks good and anything else doesn't pick my interest or I'm not aware that it exists.

Why remake something that was good in the first place? Just asking
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Jun 23, 2021 7:53 PM

Jul 2019
That's what you get for a company that has the monopoly over Holywood. Star wars, Marvel, and Pixar animation are just repetitive storytelling over and over. All three of these were something innovative at its peak. But not anymore.

Granted, only the Mandalorian has gave me some hope.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 23, 2021 9:05 PM

Jul 2013
I see what you mean and despite China banning two upcoming 2021 Marvel Studios diversity crap, they still got that so-called Mulan remake. They can keep that dumpster fire.

Other than that, Disney's been taking too many stupid and woke pills. I am also officially done with the company that mistreats employees, ripping Canadians off before pulling out their toy stores, giving us s**tty Star Wars movies, belittling white people, complaining about customers refusing to buy their garbage products and being totally uncool.

The guy from that site I hate called Quora was damn right when he said that Disney doesn't wanna make customers happy in a post asking why Daredevil got canceled on Netflix. More like they never will.

Disney can burn in hell for all I care. I won't pay those woke asshats a stinking cent this summer or ever. The same goes for Marvel comics who were bawling about no one buying their woke graphic novels with Captain Marvel being genderswapped. Funny that Disney and Marvel also cry about manga taking over the book stores. I can't keep up with all these new Marvel comics, sorry but not sorry and that paper waste is better off in the scrapyard for car painters to spray on.

You go woke, you go broke you idiots, that's how it is. Remember supply and demand also, so don't be surprised assholes.

By the way Disney, I know all about your awful Cruella movie via other people and they're right, it sucks! All your new movies suck. I would also like to know who this 3 year-old is that was mentioned on IMDB that hates Frozen II so I can buy him some sweets. Good job little boy! Don't give in to Disney's incompetent and lazy business practices.

Kurt_IrvingJun 23, 2021 9:08 PM
Jun 23, 2021 9:17 PM

Feb 2016
@SomeRandomNerd
An actual good Cinderella remake with a black Cinderella was made in 1997. It was even produced by Disney, and starred Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother. Funny how this was never brought up when Disney's 2015 remake cast a white Cinderella.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_(1997_film)
その目だれの目?
Jun 23, 2021 9:17 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
ThatRazorGuy said:
149597871 said:

I can ensure you that Disney is not doing this for the sake of artistic creativity. Their stocks appreciated nearly 500% over the past decade, which is one of the many proofs that their model is working flawlessly.

Not gonna dispute that. But no one in this thread, myself included, is criticizing Disney on a financial level. Our misgivings with the company have to do with their lack of originality and creative integrity.

Okay, I suppose that is a fair criticism. So, again, which part of the upcoming Snow White movie you think lacks originality or creativity?

Could it be that Nyu's criticism is more about the leading actress than the actual "artistic quality" of the movie's content?
Jun 23, 2021 9:47 PM

Jul 2013
I wish that I could beat down and tag all the Disney executives right now. Give each and every one of them a TKO. Take those Chinese Disney or Marvel toys and make them eat that plastic junk.

Just thinking about their recent movies makes me vomit with rage.
Jun 24, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2016
SomeRandomNerd said:
A Snow White remake with a black Snow White was made back in 1943, but no one seems to be talking about that one for some some reason 🤔🤔🤔

"Very few books on the history of American animation leave out the film Coal Black an de Sebben Dwarfs."
Jun 24, 2021 3:10 PM

Jun 2015
JoyBoy_316 said:
Wasn't there a live action snow white not too long ago that even got a spinoff with Chris Hemsworth? I get that nostagia is strong with these stories but how are people still throwing their money at these movies?
yes.

but that wasnt disney. this is all public domain stuff
Jun 24, 2021 3:23 PM

Dec 2016
It's not just Disney, it's the entire movie industry. Hollywood in general has been suffering from a severe creativity crisis for at least the past 5-7 years.

I barely even watch recent movies these days.
Jun 24, 2021 9:00 PM

Feb 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
but that wasnt disney. this is all public domain stuff

And that is why Disney movies have unauthorized sequels.
その目だれの目?
Jun 24, 2021 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
Bobby2Hands said:
It's like 25 pages long and at the end the wicked step mother is forced to wear red hot iron slippers and dance until she dies.

Spoiler alert for before Disney stories

Beauty and the beast

Sleeping beauty

Peter Pan

Cinderella
Jun 24, 2021 9:36 PM

Dec 2016
Disney makes money because it is for families. A movie made for a three year old isn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece. As marriage becomes less common, birthrates decline, and Boomers take dirt naps instead of visiting Disney Land they will naturally and dramatically lose market share.
My beef with Disney and company isn't their kiddie movies made for kids but their annoying habit of censoring and sanitizing things for adults to be family friendly.
SoverignJun 24, 2021 9:39 PM
Jun 25, 2021 7:44 PM

Jun 2019
The fact that they cast a Hispanic actress in a role she so obviously doesn't fit aesthetically with no care for the visuals, considering it's a story based on an originally German fairy tale, should tell you all you need to know about the fact that it's just another publicity stunt in the latest line of vulgar publicity stunts. They demonstrate with a choice like that they don't even care for the bare minimum of matching the setting and culture, so why pay it any mind?

Just watch the original animated iteration. There is rarely any sound and justifiable reason for remakes in general to exist. Least of all when it's for the purposes of converting something from animation, a medium in which everything can be portrayed, to live action, an inherently self-limiting medium.

I haven't seen a single one of the live action remakes and see no point to them besides mindless inertia, pandering, and greed.
Jun 25, 2021 8:28 PM

Feb 2016
traed said:
Cinderella

That's only the Grimm version. All modern adaptation's of Cinderella are based on Perrault's, which is more infantile than Disney's take.
"it was brought to the two sisters, who did all they possibly could to force their foot into the slipper, but they did not succeed."
その目だれの目?
Jun 25, 2021 8:43 PM

Mar 2008
Lucifrost said:
traed said:
Cinderella

That's only the Grimm version. All modern adaptation's of Cinderella are based on Perrault's, which is more infantile than Disney's take.
"it was brought to the two sisters, who did all they possibly could to force their foot into the slipper, but they did not succeed."

Yeah I know there was other versions too. Is the Grimm version older or Perrault? I have too much a headache to look it up.
Jun 28, 2021 1:42 AM

Jun 2015
so a literal girl named snow white. is not even white?
Jun 28, 2021 2:08 AM

Apr 2012
To be honest, I don't understand why diversity should move through the gradual transformation of European enjoyment into quasi-American or Asian. If you talk so much about representing non-white audiences and the importance of their culture, why don't you let their culture be heard? I think it would be much more interesting than another recoloring of white characters.

Or are you suggesting that African culture is not so interesting and developed for Western audiences that black audiences are still represented solely through the blackwashing of white works?
Jun 28, 2021 2:11 AM

Sep 2017
Animation to live-action has never worked, it always feels lifeless and lose its flair
Jun 28, 2021 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Spoiler alert for before Disney stories

Beauty and the beast

Sleeping beauty

Peter Pan

Cinderella
@bobby2hands I thought I wanted to read it but now I’m a little hesitant.

@traed I didn’t realize how dark these stories really were.
removed-userJun 28, 2021 4:08 AM
Jun 29, 2021 9:02 AM
Dec 2017
disney is absoutle complete cancer and thank god i don't watch their movies.

Jun 29, 2021 9:06 AM

Dec 2008
When Disney is out of ideas, but remake is the only last card it has. I can't wait to see Disney goes bankrupt. It's one of my dreams. We burned a lot of Elmo toys. Time to burn Mickey and his shit folks.
Jun 29, 2021 9:15 AM
Dec 2017
_Nette_ said:
Disney is shit but the useless NPCs are going to watch their movies anyway since Disney sells them a shitty identity.

Exactly nothing but identity politics to sell to the npcs.

Jun 29, 2021 9:27 AM

Feb 2010
KuroudoAkabane said:
so a literal girl named snow white. is not even white?
RobertBobert said:
To be honest, I don't understand why diversity should move through the gradual transformation of European enjoyment into quasi-American or Asian. If you talk so much about representing non-white audiences and the importance of their culture, why don't you let their culture be heard? I think it would be much more interesting than another recoloring of white characters.

Or are you suggesting that African culture is not so interesting and developed for Western audiences that black audiences are still represented solely through the blackwashing of white works?

Not sure where you people are getting this idea that the actress is a African woman when she Colombian-American. Colombia's population literally being 87.58% White or Mestizo. Also her father is literally polish. You would think you would check before making yourself look foolish
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Zegler#Theatre

HenrikDK said:
Animation to live-action has never worked, it always feels lifeless and lose its flair

One of the few good takes in here.
GrimAtramentJun 29, 2021 9:33 AM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 29, 2021 9:56 AM

Jul 2019
ArabianLuffy said:
When Disney is out of ideas, but remake is the only last card it has. I can't wait to see Disney goes bankrupt. It's one of my dreams. We burned a lot of Elmo toys. Time to burn Mickey and his shit folks.

Once Marvel and Star Wars are dead, then maybe.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 29, 2021 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
ArabianLuffy said:
When Disney is out of ideas, but remake is the only last card it has. I can't wait to see Disney goes bankrupt. It's one of my dreams.

good luck with that looks at star wars, marvel, Alien, Predator, Planet Of The Apes, Percy Jackson, The X-Files, The Chronicles Of Narnia.

Jun 29, 2021 11:01 AM

Jul 2016
Lucifrost said:
@SomeRandomNerd
An actual good Cinderella remake with a black Cinderella was made in 1997. It was even produced by Disney, and starred Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother. Funny how this was never brought up when Disney's 2015 remake cast a white Cinderella.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_(1997_film)

Cinderella was European, casting an African-American as Cinderella is racewashing.

@Hazarddex

Snow White was German White European, not Amerindian Columbian Polish.
RuneRemJun 29, 2021 11:27 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

80 by scarydragon »»
3 hours ago

» Pick the song you like the most from the 3 users above

tsukareru - May 29

5 by 6cy »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3516 by AdamBirch »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7796 by AdamBirch »»
4 hours ago

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - May 8

10 by GCRyan »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.