Forum Settings
Forums

How can I stop feeling like all dubs are just awful?

New
Jan 17, 2021 4:36 PM

Feb 2019
This is really really dumb, I want to rewatch Monster with my dad. It reminds me of a lot of the detective and thriller shows I watched with him in the 2000s growing up. I know he is probably NOT going to pay attention if we watch sub so I need to watch the dub.

But I do not know why, I find dubs so hard to watch nowadays, no matter what. I used to like dubs, I still tell people I think the dub of Slayers is great, I used to enjoy and praise even notoriously bad dubs like Nadia"s dub, I could switch from watching subbed to dubbed halfway through with no problem.

But now I find even, like, objectively good dubs hard to sit through- Brotherhood is great dubbed, right? And I grew up with it but I can barely watch it now. Space Dandy? Great dub. Makes me cringe now. Ouran High? Fucking funny haha shit, gross now.

Idk, a fellow female friend showed me a clip from the konosuba dub out loud in my college hallway and I just haven't been able to watch one the same since with how bad I felt embarrassed, I now find dub actors feel like this weird in-between of trying too hard and not trying hard enough. I know my dad's not gonna care about the dub, he doesn't give a shit if someone's acting is good or bad even in movies and I.. I. REALLY. Want to feel the emotional connection with this show that I have already.

I'm worried about this whole connection thing cuz atm I'm watching Yu Yu Hakusho, another pretty much nothing but praised dub and first dub I've watched in a while, dubbed and I have felt. nothing. And I cry, at. everything. I even have grown to love the dub but I'm 49 episodes in, I still feel like I have almost no emotional connection to these characters. I don't want to feel this way with Monster, please teach me how to like dubs!

Or is it just normal to have not shed a tear at Hakusho despite how over emotional and giant baby I am and this is just how it is with shounen and I didn't know cuz I don't watch enough?
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2021 4:39 PM

May 2019
you don't. you can't. you won't. they're bad.
Jan 17, 2021 4:39 PM

Oct 2018
You need to lie to yourself, because all dubs are just awful.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 17, 2021 4:41 PM

Oct 2018
I mean if you don't like dubs anymore that is fine. I just have a problem with people who don't like dubs and act like pretentious cockwagons to people who like them.
Jan 17, 2021 4:41 PM

Nov 2020
Teiraa said:
This is really really dumb, I want to rewatch Monster with my dad. It reminds me of a lot of the detective and thriller shows I watched with him in the 2000s growing up. I know he is probably NOT going to pay attention if we watch sub so I need to watch the dub.

But I do not know why, I find dubs so hard to watch nowadays, no matter what. I used to like dubs, I still tell people I think the dub of Slayers is great, I used to enjoy and praise even notoriously bad dubs like Nadia"s dub, I could switch from watching subbed to dubbed halfway through with no problem.

But now I find even, like, objectively good dubs hard to sit through- Brotherhood is great dubbed, right? And I grew up with it but I can barely watch it now. Space Dandy? Great dub. Makes me cringe now. Ouran High? Fucking funny haha shit, gross now.

Idk, a fellow female friend showed me a clip from the konosuba dub out loud in my college hallway and I just haven't been able to watch one the same since with how bad I felt embarrassed, I now find dub actors feel like this weird in-between of trying too hard and not trying hard enough. I know my dad's not gonna care about the dub, he doesn't give a shit if someone's acting is good or bad even in movies and I.. I. REALLY. Want to feel the emotional connection with this show that I have already.

I'm worried about this whole connection thing cuz atm I'm watching Yu Yu Hakusho, another pretty much nothing but praised dub and first dub I've watched in a while, dubbed and I have felt. nothing. And I cry, at. everything. I even have grown to love the dub but I'm 49 episodes in, I still feel like I have almost no emotional connection to these characters. I don't want to feel this way with Monster, please teach me how to like dubs!

Or is it just normal to have not shed a tear at Hakusho despite how over emotional and giant baby I am and this is just how it is with shounen and I didn't know cuz I don't watch enough?

Yeah man I feel you. I feel like every anime has the same voice actors, and that the voices don't really fit the characters sometimes. And the Japanese voice actors are just better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2021 4:44 PM

Sep 2020
First of all, I know how you feel. I always had a hard time trying to watch movies with my old man.

Second, it kinda depends on the VA's but considering how bad they are(imo), I don't think it is likely for you to get used to dub- at least in a short period of time. Best you can do is endure
swag
Jan 17, 2021 4:44 PM

Aug 2019
you probably just became accustomed to sub
Jan 17, 2021 4:54 PM

Oct 2013
Teiraa said:

I don't have any advice for you because, if anything, I have the opposite problem, but I wanted to say that this post was a real journey. There are so many tangential threads to unpack here that have nothing to do with the dub problem. I love posts like this.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 17, 2021 4:57 PM

Oct 2018
You call all dubs awful yet I don't see you applying to dub one and do better. Granted, there are awful ones but all? You are trippin' now.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jan 17, 2021 5:00 PM

Apr 2020
not all of them are awful

yu yu hakusho english dub is superior to any other dub

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2021 5:02 PM

May 2010
Yeah I feel ya. I used to watch almost exclusively dubs but now I can only stomach about 5% of them. A lot of the acting is just...not good! No offense to the English VAs. But it feels like there are just the same 10-20 VAs shuffled into different roles when they don’t always fit.

I can take bad acting in some shows. But if it’s a serious show like Monster or something emotional - it really ruins the experience.

Jul 2020
L0Ll said:
You call all dubs awful yet I don't see you applying to dub one and do better. Granted, there are awful ones but all? You are trippin' now.

Ok, unrelated, but I really like your pfp... Who is that?
Jul 2018
you cant... because 99% of them are 
Jan 17, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think there's any miracle drug for forcing yourself to like dub 😂. It all comes down to preference at the end of the day.

Kenzolo-folk said:
not all of them are awful

yu yu hakusho english dub is superior to any other dub

That scene always cracks me up lol. But yeah, I don't have a problem with the dub for Yu Yu Hakusho. I don't know how much better the sub is.
removed-userJan 17, 2021 5:07 PM
Jan 17, 2021 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
NewYearSameMe said:
L0Ll said:

pretty sure its fanart of elaina from majo no tabitabi

Apr 2016
you don't. once you're pro-sub you never go back because dubs are inferior in every sense

May 2020
You should watch dubs fans think are good, like Cowboy Bebop
Jan 17, 2021 5:06 PM

Jul 2020
2077 said:
NewYearSameMe said:

pretty sure its fanart of elaina from majo no tabitabi

Oh shit, I didn't even see the signature, lol... that's a neck.
Jan 17, 2021 5:10 PM

Oct 2018
NewYearSameMe said:
L0Ll said:

Greetings n' thank you much. She's Elaina from Wandering Witch:

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jan 17, 2021 5:18 PM

Jul 2020
I think its too late for that now. You should've started off watching both dub's and sub's. Instead of just starting off only watching dubs then only watching subs. For example, currently. I will be watching the One Piece dub. Do I only watch dub anime? No. Do I rarely watch dub anime? No. So I will be comfortable with both with no natrual biases.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jan 17, 2021 5:19 PM

May 2016
It's tough, isn't it? How I wish I could just listen to the characters, but nope.

VAs are one problem, especially grown-ass American women trying to sound cute. But audio-wise, every single one of them feels recorded under a towel with a usb mic. The mixing is always just bad, boosted voices sounding fake and out of place, drowning out the sfx and the score.

Time and again, people said Black Lagoon or Baccano when I ask about good dubs. And every single time, to this day, I think they're fucking joking.
Jan 17, 2021 5:19 PM

Jan 2015
Sub > dub gang where you at.

I think some dubs are worth their weight. (e.g. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Cowboy Bebop).
Jan 17, 2021 5:28 PM

Feb 2016
Teiraa said:

I don’t cry at everything like you do. But I think it’s normal not to shed tears for YYH. I just can’t view it as an emotional show.
その目だれの目?
Jan 17, 2021 5:35 PM

Apr 2019
don't think you will be able to do that

Jan 17, 2021 5:36 PM

Feb 2019
Zadion said:

I don't have any advice for you because, if anything, I have the opposite problem, but I wanted to say that this post was a real journey. There are so many tangential threads to unpack here that have nothing to do with the dub problem. I love posts like this.

I don't know how any of this works yet with the quoting and shit so maybe I just pasted my own paragraph here again but I'm happy I could entertain you at least!! lol I'm really hyper and talkative sometimes, glad my rambling wasn't so awful for everyone!

edit: nvm I fixed it :)
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Jan 17, 2021 5:37 PM

Dec 2015
Mostly when it comes to Funimation they exist to destory.

But if you want a bit more quality then you go after Netflix and what show they have dubbed. Devilman crybaby etc.

Then you have older shows like Golden Boy, where the dub is better then the sub.

Jan 17, 2021 5:41 PM

Jun 2017
You just need to be born again and never expose yourself to a sub afterwards.

Jan 17, 2021 5:42 PM

Aug 2009
Let me know when you get to Black Lagoon.

Jan 17, 2021 5:44 PM

Jan 2016
Quite literally, stop being such a massive weeb. I watch both sub and dub, but always prefer dub if its done well.
Jan 17, 2021 5:56 PM
May 2017
As a person who prefers subs, I'll say what I did to get accustomed to dubs so I could watch anime with my brother- you need to feel attached to the dub side of anime. Get to know the actors' names, watch more dubbed anime, perhaps anime you haven't seen before subbed.
I've seen quite a few dub VA's at cons and it really helped me feel connected to the dub world, even if my first impulse will always be subbed. I know most cons aren't going rn, but the key is to find voices you do like and follow them.

They're not perfect, but Crispin Freeman, Johnny Young Bosch, Brina Palencia, Mary Elizabeth McGllyn, and plenty of others have had some great roles. Cherami Leigh is either amazing or trash depending on the role.

My brother wants me to get into Monster and claims the dub is among the best. I'd also recommend the Hellsing Ultimate dub.

Hope that helps some!
Jan 17, 2021 5:58 PM

Nov 2016
You can't, it's just true lol, most of the time if not always.

But yeah, I understand you, I also wanted my mom to watch an anime with me, and we had to watch it dubbed, it was painfull at the start ngl, after some episodes it wasn't that bad, but I'd still go with sub if im watching it alone.
You will have to suffer a little.
Jan 17, 2021 6:24 PM

Sep 2014
AnimeLeviathan said:
I think its too late for that now. You should've started off watching both dub's and sub's. Instead of just starting off only watching dubs then only watching subs. For example, currently. I will be watching the One Piece dub. Do I only watch dub anime? No. Do I rarely watch dub anime? No. So I will be comfortable with both with no natrual biases.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but One Piece is the only anime I wouldn't recommend the dub even if it's good. That is because the original VA for One Piece are iconic and Toei really dig up the best voice actors of the industry.
Jan 17, 2021 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

Not trying to tell you what to do, but One Piece is the only anime I wouldn't recommend the dub even if it's good. That is because the original VA for One Piece are iconic and Toei really dig up the best voice actors of the industry.

Luffy's voice is kind of screechy to me at times whenever he yells in the English dub.
Jan 17, 2021 8:02 PM

Jan 2020
It's always wack for me when I see people say all dubs are bad. I mean shoot I'm someone who's mostly watched sub, but I've seen plenty of good dubs. Even for random shows that most people wouldn't care about, the dub was as good as sub. I think people are stuck in the past and think every dub is 4Kids quality when it's been nearly 20 years since then, and the vast majority of dubs these days are good or even preferable to the sub.

As for you OP, I'm sorry I honestly don't know what to say lol. I've never had a problem going between sub and dub for anime.
*generic image of favorite characters with a sappy quote or "aesthetics"*

Mecha Anime/Manga/VN Tier List

Anime/Manga/VN Tier List
Jan 17, 2021 8:49 PM
May 2020
Teiraa said:

For those who are starting out, they actually get a better emotional connection with a show when they are not distracted by reading subtitles. If your goal is to bring that emotional connection to someone you care about, dub is the way to go. Also when you watch with others who are of varying levels of weebness, dub is a fact of life. They are not as bad as the sub elitists say they are especially when you are used to them.
Jan 17, 2021 8:51 PM

Apr 2020
I love dub
Its great, I prefer it over sub.
Allows me to multitask, or relax.
Just keep watching it and you'll eventually get use to it.
Jan 17, 2021 9:03 PM

Jun 2020
The same problem with me. Earlier, I only used to watch dub. I even fought with my friend saying that dub was better. Once I started sub , I have never gone back to the dub. Whenever I start watching a dubbed anime, I dunno why I cringe out in the first episode itself and revert back to the sub.
Jan 17, 2021 9:08 PM

Sep 2017
Well for one, gotta make sure you're not pretentious about it. The people who rabidly jump on every thread with the word "dub" in the title just to make sure you know about their distaste have no fuckin clue what they're talking about. I still watch like 70% shows subbed but you gotta show some respect for people's preferences. Different strokes for different folks

For me, I think it's forcing yourself to watch new shows with the dub first that makes you accustomed. It's easier to enjoy dubs when the english voice of a character comes to mind before the japanese voice. Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran will always make me think of Caitlin Glass, not Maaya Sakamoto because I watched the dub first and grew up with it. Or pick an actor that you really like and watch everything that they have a major role in.
Jan 17, 2021 9:26 PM

May 2018
Easy: watch more of them.

You're too used to sub that all dub feels weird. I watch both sub and dub and when I linger too long watching one type, switching to the other type takes a bit of getting used to. It took me a bit to get used to Chinese anime too (although I had to give that up because subtitles are too fast).

Some dubs are of lower quality (particularly older dubs), but if you teach yourself to be flexible, you'll find some voices are actually better in dub than sub (looking at you Kuroko in Railgun). Plus, you'll get to enjoy shows that are a visual feast better.
amusedmonkeyJan 17, 2021 9:50 PM
Jan 17, 2021 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
watch pokemon dubs bro it's good XD......................................
Jan 17, 2021 9:32 PM

Apr 2020
There's nothing wrong with not liking dubs

beep boop bop pow
Jan 17, 2021 9:34 PM

Dec 2020
The dubs maybe good but once u watch a sub episode just once in ur life u will never watch dub again
Just watch Jotaro vs Dio in sub and then dub u will understand the difference
Shinzou Sasageyo!!!
Jan 17, 2021 9:48 PM

Aug 2018
Specimen021 said:
It's tough, isn't it? How I wish I could just listen to the characters, but nope.

VAs are one problem, especially grown-ass American women trying to sound cute. But audio-wise, every single one of them feels recorded under a towel with a usb mic. The mixing is always just bad, boosted voices sounding fake and out of place, drowning out the sfx and the score.

Time and again, people said Black Lagoon or Baccano when I ask about good dubs. And every single time, to this day, I think they're fucking joking.

If grown-ass Japanese women can do it then grown-ass American women should be able to as well. Technically it should be possible.

Most of the time with english dubs, it's difficult to tell one female character from another. They all have the same nasally voice.
Jan 17, 2021 10:02 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
You can't.

99% of dubbed anime are indeed awful anyway.

The only good one is Dragon Ball since Goku actually sounds like a man in English Dub or even local dub here, not like a grandma.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 18, 2021 12:27 AM

Jan 2021
It;s just personal taste, not all dub is bad but a lot are bad.
Jan 18, 2021 12:33 AM

Sep 2020
The only thing that I have watched dub, is Pokemon (some of it at least). I just think that dub doesn't prortray the emotions of a character as good as the japanese version.
Jan 18, 2021 12:47 AM

Jul 2020
Take a break and watch some English movies then I think you'll like dub then.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 18, 2021 12:49 AM

Nov 2020
There are only few dubbs that actually good, most ITS crap.... Sorry but ITS my opinion lul

Jan 18, 2021 12:54 AM

Oct 2018
I had to sit through the dubbed version of A Silent Voice at a friend's insistence. Needless to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. You're better off watching alone without some dub-loving crayon eater ruining your experience.

Jan 18, 2021 12:57 AM
Jan 2012
Even if there was a way to start liking dubs again, that shit's not going to happen overnight. Hell it wouldn't even happen over a week, or a month. Just bite the bullet and watch with your Dad. It's fun seeing someone you care about enjoy something, and since you're already watched Monster it's not like you're watching something new to you.

Also, I mean, if there was a method to start to like dubs again it would absolutely involve actually watching them, so this would most likely help in that effort (if it's even necessary anymore after this). It's not like liking dubs is some kind of mental switch that you can turn on by reading comments or reviews and completely avoiding them, you're going to have to overcome this hurdle eventually.

Or maybe don't, because aside from the fact that you want to watch something dubbed with your Dad, there's no real reason anyone needs to like something they don't like when it comes to a hobby.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 31 minutes ago

7 by KitsuFrost »»
3 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

27 by BigBoyAdvance »»
9 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 4 hours ago

13 by Lhundrup »»
9 minutes ago

» The Impact of Anime on Global Pop Culture

LenRea - Yesterday

10 by ST63LTH »»
22 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

47 by SwordBreaker36 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.