Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2021 1:17 PM
Mar 2020
Are you a closeted fan where most people don't know about this aspect of your life?
Or do you let everything out in the open? And is there a specific reason for you being closeted or not?

Edit: sorry if I pushed anyone's buttons with poor wording lol but also take a chill pill B)
kimshuuriJan 4, 2021 2:09 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 4, 2021 1:25 PM

May 2017
I'm definitely open about it. Simple answer is I don't give a shit about what people think of me really. Sure I don't go telling everyone I meet that I like anime, but I wouldn't dodge the topic at all if it was brought up.
Jan 4, 2021 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
When I'm asked if I watch anime or not I reply with yes if that's your question.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 4, 2021 1:29 PM

Mar 2017
kimshuuri said:
Are you a closeted otaku where most people don't know about this aspect of your life?
Or do you let everything out in the open? And is there a specific reason for you being closeted or not?

Stop referring yourself as an otaku. It's annoying. Other than that, yeah everyone knows I watch anime. I openly admit liking all the degenerate stuff to my friends lol and they'll make jokes on me with that which is all fun as well.
Jan 4, 2021 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
I'm very open with anime and all of its subcultures. I go back and forth between wearing a Re Zero snapback and a PS snapback out in the public and even to class. I was never the type to hide it.
Jan 4, 2021 1:37 PM

Jul 2020
Pretty open about it. I sometimes talk about anime in public with friends and own a few anime merch.
Jan 4, 2021 1:37 PM

Aug 2011
I treat it just like any of my other hobbies and interests. I definitely don't try to hide it, but I also don't go out of my way to tell everybody. People close to me are aware that I watch anime (and most of them watch anime too, at least casually), and people I'm not close to usually don't know, but I wouldn't care if they did.
Jan 4, 2021 1:43 PM

Jun 2020
I am just a person who likes to watch anime and read manga and I'm fine with letting people know that
Jan 4, 2021 1:46 PM

Sep 2020
Open in the sense that people know I enjoy the mainstream stuff (like Attack on Titan or Naruto) but closed in the sense that nobody knows how much I really enjoy Anime and Manga or how much time I spend on it
"If I get reincarnated… I wanna become a clam.” – Monkey D Luffy

Jan 4, 2021 1:47 PM

Jan 2008
Oh open about it. (Not about everything I enjoy though. I don't think they would understand the shounen ai or the weirder stuff I watch)

I'll happily show my anime merch to anyone who will look.
Jan 4, 2021 1:50 PM

Nov 2020
A few of my friends know I watch anime. I dont really tell people unless it comes up in some way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2021 1:51 PM

May 2020
Yeah all my friends know I'm a weeb. I say too many random Japanese phrases and talk about waifus too much to try to hide it. At this point its become pretty much my distinguishing characteristic among my friends
Is Blue Box my favorite manga? Not yet...Yes. Yes it is. 

Jan 4, 2021 1:51 PM

May 2018
Stop throwing fancy words without knowing their meanings. Do you know what otaku actually is? All who call themselves otaku are nothing but cringeworthy weeaboo.
Jan 4, 2021 1:54 PM

Sep 2007
palm-tree said:
I treat it just like any of my other hobbies and interests. I definitely don't try to hide it, but I also don't go out of my way to tell everybody. People close to me are aware that I watch anime (and most of them watch anime too, at least casually), and people I'm not close to usually don't know, but I wouldn't care if they did.

More or less the same here, but casually as long its generally worth discussing and such.
Jan 4, 2021 2:05 PM

Oct 2010
my pals know I watch anime and sometimes I reference anime when giving examples in random talk
Jan 4, 2021 2:28 PM

Oct 2013
Neither. It's not something I talk about openly, but it's not something I actively try to hide either.
If it comes up in a conversation naturally then I'm open to talking about it.
Jan 4, 2021 2:28 PM

Dec 2015
Well, If you walked into my rooms for the first time you would understand that I love both collection Manga and Figurens.

But it's not like when I'm meeting new people I say. Yo, I'm Niklas I watch Anime!

It's not something I would bring up by myself, it would be if the conversation leads to it.

Jan 4, 2021 2:31 PM

Aug 2018
I dont see any reason to brag about watching anime to my normie relatives on facebook. They're not interested and might even have certain unsavory preconceptions about it.
Jan 4, 2021 3:11 PM

Dec 2020
I'm more of a closeted fan than a open fan. I hope one day I will be a little more open with what I enjoy, but if I see you with some type of anime related thing than I will ask you if you watch anime. If not I will slowly drop hints that I like watching anime. Being a closeted person is the reason why I made a MAL account. I have no friends who like anime so I came here to have discussions and rate anime.

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jan 4, 2021 3:13 PM

Oct 2018
I spent the new year wearing an Asuka T-shirt, I guess you have your answer
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jan 4, 2021 3:28 PM
Nov 2009
kimshuuri said:
Are you a closeted fan where most people don't know about this aspect of your life?

I depends on what you mean with "most" people. My family knows and my friends do too. But unfortunately I only have 1 cousin and 1 friend who also watch anime.

While I do own a few anime t-shirts, I never bring the topic of anime up. In fact, I don't even bother talking about my interests with people unless they are really interested (which is pretty rare).
Jan 4, 2021 4:09 PM
Dec 2017
closet i have anime,manga and j-gaming merch but i keep that too myself as i am a deeply private person.

Jan 4, 2021 4:15 PM

Nov 2008
I'm quite open about it...but I won't talk about it if I can sense someone isn't interested.

Jan 4, 2021 4:16 PM

Dec 2016
In the closet because the anime community is too weird
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 4, 2021 4:17 PM

Aug 2018
Pretty open, but I'm not gonna tell random strangers irl that I watch anime, you know.
Jan 4, 2021 4:19 PM

Nov 2019
I hide it from my parents but they know i watch "Japanese cartoons" anyways. Everyone else i don't really care and open about it. If someone asks that i watch it, I'll say yes but I'm not just going to say it
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Jan 4, 2021 4:21 PM

Apr 2020
if someone asks me if I watch anime, then I say yes
everyone knows at this point
Simple man
Jan 4, 2021 4:22 PM

Apr 2020
very open also all my friends are weebs
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2021 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
I don't openly express and say stuff like "I LOVE FREAKING ANIME!" but at the same time if somebody asks me what's my favorite show I won't hesitate to say "K-On." if that's what you mean. I own and sometimes wear minimalistic anime shirts from uniqlo in public, if that's what you were trying to ask as well. I mean I've heard from people that they hide it because they don't want to be bullied and I totally understand that, but I personally never felt the need to hide it.
removed-userJan 4, 2021 4:32 PM
Jan 4, 2021 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty open about the fact that I watch anime, but I'm closeted about how much of a weeb I actually am. Like no way am I telling anyone in real life that my favorite anime is Monogatari lol
Jan 4, 2021 4:58 PM

Mar 2010
Fairly open.

Usually it comes from other people's questions or when it's convenient to say (to make a better context for a conversation).

It's just a hobby. That's nothing you or anyone should be ashamed about.
Jan 4, 2021 5:06 PM
ギャンブルビイ

Sep 2018
I see no reason to be ashamed of my interests, I'd feel limited if I had to hide it. I'm out to the point where liking anime is basically at least half of my personality...
Jan 4, 2021 6:22 PM

Oct 2014
I have no reason to hide it. Most people either watch anime themselves or have a positive relationship with someone who does (usually a friend or relative). If they do like anime then it's this instant connection that you have with them.
Jan 4, 2021 6:32 PM
Feb 2020
I'm open because many people know that I watch anime, also I have friends who watch anime too, so, sometimes we talk about it.
However, I'm closet because I don't say all the animes I have watched, I only do it if someone ask me (except for One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin and Naruto that everyone know I have watched them, more if I wear some t-shirts of those animes that I recently bought).
Jan 4, 2021 6:32 PM

Apr 2020
I'm transitioning to become an open fan since the conditions are getting favorable in my social circle.
Jan 4, 2021 6:39 PM
Jean Michel Salt

Oct 2015
Doesnt make any sense to hide ur hobby man so yes if someone i know speak about that stuff im in for sure.
Got a lot of friend even colleague who were asking for anime to watch since they know i watched a lot.

Jan 4, 2021 6:41 PM

Sep 2020
I don't like to bring it up but people already know. . .
Jan 4, 2021 6:42 PM
Aug 2018
I'm no otaku. I just happen to be an ordinary person who enjoys anime and reading manga. I am a open fan because I don't give a damn what people think about me. I do what I enjoy. Don't like it then don't give a damn. Besides, my friends are also open about that.
Jan 4, 2021 6:44 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I dont go announcing or showing off to people that I watch anime when they dont even ask but i dont try to hide that I like anime, so... I am an open fan I guess.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 4, 2021 7:38 PM

Jul 2020
Definitely an OPEN Fan.
Who cares what other people think? You should not be ashamed of your own interests.
Jan 4, 2021 7:40 PM

May 2020
More of an open fan but I can be a closet fan at times
Jan 4, 2021 7:44 PM

Aug 2016
Open, I'm not ashamed of any of my hobbies.
Jan 4, 2021 7:47 PM

Jun 2020
Open fan maybe, I use anime profile on all my social media accounts. Also if people ask me if I watch anime or not I'll say yes. I think nothing wrong with it.
Jan 4, 2021 7:54 PM

Aug 2016
I'm not gonna pretend I don't like something just to be accepted by someone else, you either have me as a friend with all my interests coming along or fuck right off.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 4, 2021 8:11 PM
Jan 2021
Most of the time im pretty open, Ive been watching anime regularly for ten years or more. I do downplay how much I have been into it. I am a very casual fan now (I watch like, 2 animes or less in a year) but its definitely not something seen as positive where I go to school and it certainly wasnt when i was in middle-high school.
Jan 4, 2021 8:54 PM

May 2018
Both, I guess? I'm pretty closeted about most of my interests, including anime. It's not because I'm trying to hide it, it's just part of my private world, and there is a clear divide between real life and my solitary hobbies. My private world rarely bleeds into my social life.

I don't talk about it unless someone initiates the conversation (which is rare since most people my age don't share my interests), but if someone does talk, ask, or comment, I'm as open as can be and don't feel like it's something I need to hide.
Jan 4, 2021 9:11 PM

Feb 2017
I used to be a closet weeb because I didn't want to get mixed up with those casual watchers who only watch battle shounen or popular seasonal anime alike, but nowadays I'm pretty open with my hobby except to my family. Most still don't know how much of a degenerate I can be with my hobby though.
Jan 4, 2021 9:17 PM

Aug 2020

Open, I dont care what people say about me
Jan 4, 2021 9:27 PM

Sep 2018
I am a closeted fan unless someone asks directly about it. One time at work I told someone I watch stuff like One Piece and he had no idea what it was. Being a anime fan has a stigma so I do not try to stand out too much. With my bro I am open to talk about anime and hentai though. Online I freely express myself.
Jan 4, 2021 9:56 PM

Jan 2020
I would say I'm in the middle of the spectrum. I mostly don't hide the fact I'm an anime fan, but I don't openly admit to watching anime either.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does your waifu have 1st world problems?

Catalano - Sep 18

15 by ISeeLifePeople »»
18 minutes ago

» Why doesn't most psychological anime explore the psyche of their characters?

Deathlydash - 7 hours ago

9 by Gaurxv »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 2 hours ago

7 by WaterMage »»
21 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

178 by WaterMage »»
24 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who's watched Tokyo Mew Mew

Jukemania - Yesterday

23 by DesuMaiden »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.