Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2020 4:57 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah that destruction. Anything to obtain the brother and sister at any cost.

Well, this had the feeling of a finale episode and they even added the theme song mid-episode. Against all odds, we have the ordinary peple fighting back. Intense episode but not sold on the storytellilng. It seems to be that the show tried to rush to conclude the main story here.

Not a big fan of this show in the end.
Dec 24, 2020 5:01 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
It was a bit rushed but overall I consider it to be better than a lot of other original shows. They just needed one more episode to properly schedule the last part of the story.
Dec 24, 2020 5:25 AM

Jul 2017
What a disappointment this show turned out to be. I didn't find it to be perfect by any means but the first half was entertaining enough with some really great lighting and cinematography, and solid music to make the craziness of the show work, but the second half had this show crumble apart in a rushed, and nonsensical manner (not the entertaining kind of nonsensical). Really underwhelmed by the show's story direction for a good portion now and the ending sealed that deal for sure. Overall, I have to say it's a pretty bad mess of a show that had the potential to be consistently entertaining and solid with the right pacing and direction but that got thrown out of the window.

3/10 overall.
Dec 24, 2020 5:30 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The ending was meh compared to the rest of the series but overall I really liked it but especially thanks to the animation/colors/light/OST, the characters were also pretty good but could have been used in a better way for most of them, well I think this one should have been 2 cours but seems like it's almost impossible now in 2020.
Dec 24, 2020 5:34 AM
Jan 2020
*Sigh* It didn't turn out to the ending I wanted to be and this whole episode is rushed in my opinion. Just like the others said the first half is pretty cool but when last few episodes comes the story and the characters are starting to fall. The part where swindler accepted herself being a S rank Akudama, it was very cool and sacrifices herself to let the people see what executioners do to the ordinary civilians when they are caught up to the fight. And when they saw the video where swindler got killed, it started a revolution. It was a very bold move for swindler to be honest. Letting the whole city know that the executioners are the real bad guys. Courier sacrifices himself to let the kids escape. And that was the first time I see his bike got destroyed to bits. His right side of his bikes ray gun is destroyed and yet another bold move for courier to use his right metal arm to be the barrel of the laser beam to destroy the ship. In the end I did enjoy the whole series to the end, I waited every single episodes every week just to finish the season and yes bit disappointed in the ending because the best mom of the season sacrifices herself for the better good of the kids. But overall it's a good anime for those who love cyberpunk and sci-fi vibes. Thursday night's will never be the same for me again.

What a ride of a season and what a freaking disappointing and thrilling ending!

Overall 9/10
PoisonPawn6102Dec 24, 2020 6:38 AM
Dec 24, 2020 5:34 AM
Sep 2015
It's surprisingly epic, like Hollywood epic films, it seems like my sense in picking anime to watch is still as good as ever. Even though my guilty pleasure is to have disney ending or deus ex machina ending. I'd be very surprise if there's season 2 but I would want to watch it, just in case revival of characters happened, they're too lovable to die.
Dec 24, 2020 5:37 AM

Oct 2014
I loved it. This whole show was fucking epic. The christ symbolism was a little on the nose, but it felt earned. Swindler was a great person. It was heartbreaking to see her go out so horribly. The riot that followed her death was cathartic. Finally, the people realized they had the power to rise up against the military police. I'm glad she succeeded in getting Brother and Sister out alive. I'm really going to miss this show. 8/10

Dec 24, 2020 5:43 AM

Jun 2012
Is this a Jin-Roh reference?

Dec 24, 2020 5:51 AM

Jan 2009
open ending? the whole final episode is about fuck the police and the government is the real tyrants or oppressors (people power revolution)

rest in peace Swindler and Courier but damn they should have kiss at least when they got a chance when Swindler is on top lol its obvious they can have romantic feelings for each other

now im curious whats on the other side is it another city where there is more peace or a real utopia? we will never know because of a shitty open ending like that

but overall very good anime

so whats the so called Akudama Drive or motivation? is it freedom from oppression like tyranny of the government?

Sep 2019
It was a great episode. And with the Courier's death, every Akudama died in the way they were showed in the opening. Here's how they showed the Swindler in the op (I'm just adding Swindler's because I don't want to spam their deaths) :

Akudama Drive was crazy from the first episode to the last one. The visuals and the animation was great. I didn't like the story much but I liked the characters. It was a good show. 7/10.
Jul 2020
5/10

The world has come to an end

Brother and sister has finally found freedom

RIP swindler and courier and all the akudama members

Except doctor because she is a b#tch

Dec 24, 2020 5:55 AM

Apr 2016
Power to the people! Eat the rich! Together against police executioners brutality!

You see if i was 12 i would give this show a 6/10, maybe 7/10 for the first like three episodes.

Dec 24, 2020 5:56 AM

Apr 2014
Farewell to Swindler and Courier. Swindler you are the best.

Finally, the citizens can overcome their tyrant police and government. Especially the executioner boss, she deserves what she has done.

The open ending was disappointed. It should have a better ending or having another episode. At least told us about what happens in Kansai and what really is Shikoku is. Because from the whole story they never mention Shikoku before when Shikoku is located just next to Kansai. But overall it's good.

何それ?意味分かんない
Dec 24, 2020 5:58 AM

Apr 2016
Amazing anime. By far the best anime of fall season
Final score 10/10

Dec 24, 2020 6:03 AM

Jan 2009
we never know whats that red halo that Cutthroat saw on the head of Swindler i wonder whats that
Dec 24, 2020 6:04 AM

Oct 2017
Another crazy episode to end this anime, went out with a bang. Thou I sort of dun like the open ending at the end but well I guess they can only do so much with just 12 episodes. FUCK the Executioners, they deserved it. That was satisfying.

Courier was sick af at the end there and he managed to deliver them safely, a job well done like usual. RIP Courier, RIP Swindler both of you did a great job and now rest in peace both of you. Thou ngl I actually wanted a bit romance between them but oh well nothing happened till the end. Rather I'm happy we didn't get any forced kiss scene.

A really good anime overall, expected a bit more but not too dissapointed. Final score 7/10.
Dec 24, 2020 6:05 AM

Apr 2016
deg said:
we never know whats that red halo that Cutthroat saw on the head of Swindler i wonder whats that

I don't know if you did pick up on it through the series, there was a lot of hints, but i believe it's called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder
Dec 24, 2020 6:05 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty cool ending, this anime was not really good in the last few episodes, but still enjoyable, 7.5/10.
Dec 24, 2020 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
Swagernator said:
deg said:

I don't know if you did pick up on it through the series but i believe it's called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder

ye he is clearly psychotic and it was just hallucination then
Dec 24, 2020 6:08 AM

Jun 2016
The only gripe I have is that they left out the fate of Kansai from the ending. What happened to the Executioners and all?? Unless they plan a sequel which is possible of course.
Overall, I was satisfied with the ending. I just want to see what was at the other side of those mountains and what happened to Kansai.
If they make a sequel, then it'd be with new characters.
Gift by Mimurona

Dec 24, 2020 6:08 AM

Apr 2008
some hint with Danganronpa

Dec 24, 2020 6:12 AM

Jan 2009
Nix789 said:

Except doctor because she is a b#tch

is she the first evil transgender in anime?

but i forgive her in my fantasy since she is sexy hot lol
Dec 24, 2020 6:22 AM

Jun 2012
KiraYoshikage said:
some hint with Danganronpa

That's Hacker, he had two spheres' that looked like teddy bears.
Dec 24, 2020 6:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was some finish! Studio Pierrot just killed it with the visuals, I still can't believe how sky-high the standard of quality we got throughout this show but in particular this episode.

Swindler's final moments serving to turn the people's faith after that little girl's little act of revenge was well-timed but a little unbelievable to be honest at the same time. I wonder how she managed to destroy the utilities though. Can't underestimate the Swindler/Hacker-san, huh? Also, that little profile was really cool too!

And boy did Courier-san go out with a bang! Starting from the lone battle to the insane idea of using the damaged tower as a road cliff and finally to the battle with the three aircrafts, now that must've been a nice relief there in the end.

But hey, it's an open ending lol. I honestly prefer this kind of ending to be honest. It's hard to imagine the town managed to recover from that but hopefully at least the two siblings will be able to live on.

Man, this show started off on such a high but then quickly deteriorated and somewhat came back up in this finale. Nothing describes Akudama Drive better than this mess though xD. Listening to the ED right after the show was pretty cool too, fits perfectly.

Stuck between a 7/10 or a 8/10. Whatever the case, this was a really nice treat! Didn't like the direction the show in the mid-phase but the epicness to sign off with is pretty surreal, ngl.

z00nex said:
It was a great episode. And with the Courier's death, every Akudama died in the way they were showed in the opening.

Awesome find, that. I slowed up the vid during this period of the Op sometime in the earlier episodes but it was too random for me to tell then.

Edit: Fudge it, this is getting one of the most generous 8/10 I've ever given to a show! Can't lie to what my heart says.

First half was hardly an inch away from a 9/10, 8.4/10 to be exact, but the second half just about fine, 6.0/10, giving me a final score of barely 7.5/10 so generous 8 it is.

I love me my epic rides every now and then and this really hit that spot with style!
_MushiRock11_Dec 24, 2020 8:43 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 24, 2020 6:26 AM

Apr 2016
deg said:
is she the first evil transgender in anime?

No she's first evil transgender in anime that actually is not an evil transgender.
Dec 24, 2020 6:27 AM

May 2016
I didn't think I could be this upset for Sagishi death ;-;

Nice way to wrap this whole mess, too bad that Sagishi and Courier had to die I grew fond of them
over the last few episodes and Sagishi character in this one was the coolest of all I had to hold my tears for a bit.

Hacker saves the day again after all, except the doctor all of them were in the end really good characters when their fire burnt out.

too bad the setting of whole show was messed up midway. 7/10
RaizelDec 24, 2020 7:36 AM
Dec 24, 2020 6:29 AM

Jan 2009
Raizel said:
I didn't think I could be this upset for Swindlers death ;-;

ye i never expected Swindler to die too but her sacrifice is so great that it triggers a people power revolution and fuck the police message (with the help of the backup program of Hacker) so thats good enough i guess
Dec 24, 2020 6:35 AM

Mar 2016
Well then, this show really ran into one hell of an identity crisis halfway there, huh? The first half was probably some of the most bombastic shit I’ve ever seen from an anime original in quite a while, and it was honestly fun, but that absurd heel turn and abrupt mood shift and all the sudden it’s fucking Akame Ga Kill all over again, except EVERY main character is killed this time. With everything at surface level, there’s nothing much for me to really find praising beyond great animation and vaguely implemented themes.

Anyone thinking this is deserving AOTS, good for you, cause you decided not to think too hard and was willing to bear with the bullshit in the second half. But when there’s plenty of other shows out there that do this much better with changed recipes, I can’t see this beyond a disappointing mess.
Dec 24, 2020 6:37 AM
Apr 2020
"The Executioners are the real Akudama."

Swindler lived up to her name. She made everyone believe that she is an ordinary person, with a little help from Hacker, and started a revolution. She died smiling because she saw a future where Brother and Sister reached utopia. RIP Best Girl, Best Mom, Best Onee-chan Swindler!!! T_T

Courier made his record clean by sacrificing himself. His short moment with Swindler before his last mission is cute. Brother and Sister couldn't reach Shikoku without Courier's help. RIP Courier!

In the end, all the main Akudama died smiling. I feel sad that they all died, which was actually foreshawed in the OP, ofc except for Doctor because she deserved it.

The Akudama Drive is the eagerness to fight and be free of oppression, a fight for life and the desire for a utopia.

The ending is a cliffhanger tho, what is there is Shikoku tho? Is it really a utopia? I guess the creators find or consider the life in Shikoku (Japan) a utopia that's why they used it. Would be glad to see an OVA or another season so that everything will be explained further like: is the Shikoku really a utopia, what happened to Kansai after the revolution of the citizens, etc.

From beginning to end, the story is great. OSTs are bop. Animation is awesome, so Studio Pierrot can actually pull an animation like this. This is definitely one of the best anime this season and of all time.

𝟭𝟬/𝟭𝟬

Ao_SkyDec 24, 2020 6:43 AM
Dec 24, 2020 6:40 AM

Nov 2019
Not the best plot but the animation is good for sure. Overall is 8/10 for me.
Dec 24, 2020 6:42 AM

Oct 2020
Damn what a conclusion.
Ill miss this show 10/10 !
処刑課師匠
Dec 24, 2020 6:45 AM

Apr 2014
This entire episode is masterpiece. Courier's last ride and Swindler's last one big swindle was amazing. Besides a few hiccups in the second half, this was Anime of the year for me.

9/10
Ryuseishun said:
Anyone thinking this is deserving AOTS, good for you, cause you decided not to think too hard and was willing to bear with the bullshit in the second half. But when there’s plenty of other shows out there that do this much better with changed recipes, I can’t see this beyond a disappointing mess

Go ahead and name one seasonal show from this year that did what Akudama did but better.
Z4KDec 24, 2020 6:52 AM
Dec 24, 2020 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Damn, what an epic conclusion. Honestly never been a big fan of killing off the main characters one after the other, but I didn't expect to see Ordinary Person Swindler sacrifice herself like that. That was brutal, being killed on the cross by an executioner.

Swindler, you rock! You died holding your head up high and smiling. She even got her own S-class Akudama intro now. Can say the same about Courier, what a dude. Taking down those three airships in his injured state to make sure the kids made it to the mountain. Even used his metal arm to be able to shoot that final blast.

Amazing show, pure madness with the actions scenes and animation. Action was such mindless fun. OP was catchy and rocky AF and I love it.
Solid 9/10, Still sad Swindler didn't manage to survive to go along with those kids.
CeddyyBearrDec 24, 2020 7:36 AM
Dec 24, 2020 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
Kodaka's overall plots are always bad, his strong points were always good characters and entertaining cases (like mainline Danganronpa's chapters)
If you replace cases for heists, this went downhill after episode 6, this anime should have stayed as an unlikely group teaming up to do missions, not as a pseudo battle royale

a 5/10 is a generous note but I liked the first half a lot
Dec 24, 2020 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
i just notice that this show manage to be top 1000 in popularity here on MAL out of like 15,000 anime on the database i was wrong to think this is not a popular show
Dec 24, 2020 6:56 AM
Jul 2020
This has been a roller coaster ride from the beginning to the end. Though Swindler was a bit cringe, the series was entertaining. Really liked the plot twist about Kanto. It's definitely one of the best shows I've seen this season. 8/10 in my book.
Dec 24, 2020 7:00 AM
Mar 2016
Tbh I actually liked this series
Idk why but like I just like it
The ending for me is sad that it's an open ending but I guess this anime has some relatable topics to the real world like how even police can be unfair
Overall I do enjoy this anime and the art is to die for for me
Again, this is my opinion
Dec 24, 2020 7:01 AM

Apr 2020
Good show with top tier animation. Made me want to play Danganronpa again. Started well and then fell over a bit imo. 7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Dec 24, 2020 7:02 AM

Jun 2020
Ok it finally ends and it does not end what I expected it to be but it turned out well.

Especially Swindler accepting that she's part of the Akudama's with some good visual art and some really good colors into it.

Im the end the people hated the executioner for killing some random people, and courier dying for the sake of those kids freedom.

In terms of plot the ending was pretty rush it was at least good at episode 1-5 and everything was not I enjoyed it to be, so overall I think it was a 6/10.
Dec 24, 2020 7:04 AM

Mar 2016
Z4K said:
This entire episode is masterpiece. Courier's last ride and Swindler's last one big swindle was amazing. Besides a few hiccups in the second half, this was Anime of the year for me.

9/10
Ryuseishun said:
Anyone thinking this is deserving AOTS, good for you, cause you decided not to think too hard and was willing to bear with the bullshit in the second half. But when there’s plenty of other shows out there that do this much better with changed recipes, I can’t see this beyond a disappointing mess

Go ahead and name one seasonal show from this year that did what Akudama did but better.

I didn’t say from this season. I’m not sure what’s the instigation here. But seeing that you were satisfied by the show, anyways, there’s nothing in it for me to provide an example.
Dec 24, 2020 7:05 AM

Dec 2016
Finally this house of cards falls down on the last BS card placed on top.

Swindler is probably the second most farfetched character this season that changed so much because of writer's convenience that it's totally unrecognizable in the end. I felt nothing but relief when she was finally taken down by the executioners.

The whole setup by her without any knowledge on how to hack and broadcast is just the icing on BS writing. I bet some people will claim that it was all plan of the hacker all along, and that's just nonsense that he could foresaw Swindler taking the role of a martir in order for his pre-scheduled plan to work out (not to mention a blackout that conveniently saves the kids in the very last second)

The executioners were the most contrived writing piece I've seen in so many years. They were overpowered pieces of a chess board most of the time, but when the story needed to shift gears they were merely pawns as weak as the common citizen. They brought up more complex and heavy machinery in the last two episodes, but still they managed to be outsmarted and defeated by Swindler and Courier all alone. Talking about Courier, his attacks were ridiculous in this last episode, he manages to deflect and kill so many executioners outisde the headquarters of the executioners while being surrounded, not to mention how he takes down all 3 heavy drones sent to capture the kids in the last scenes almost in a videogame like enviroment while using only one hand.

The citizens of Kansai are the dumbest single braincell entities that even make Zoolander look like a Science Nobel Prize winner. They are brainwashed by kanto's advertising using the cartoonish characters, but they are easily swayed by Swindler's broadcast a few episodes ago with her calling card and message about arriving to kansai to dethrone the executioners, and once again they believe everything they see with Swindler's execution on the very same media format that has been brainwashing them all along.

This would probably had worked better in a movie duration format, since neither of the characters were truly fleshed out nor it's enviroment, at least it would had been a quicker mindless popcorn experience with pretty animation and nonsense badassery
Dec 24, 2020 7:11 AM
Nov 2020
This was an amazing show. Gonna miss this a lot.
Dec 24, 2020 7:12 AM
Dec 2019
It was a good show. But the ending really disappointed me :((( All I can say Akame ga Kill v.0002
7/10
Dec 24, 2020 7:13 AM

Aug 2017
It was a nice action serie with good animation but nothing outstanding plot wise. Some characters were fun, some annoyed me and I liked the first half better but in the end I'm pretty satisfied with how this ended.

7/10
Dec 24, 2020 7:17 AM

Jul 2017
The ending of this is ONE BIG FAT BRAINWASH of a material.

Swindler, Brother and Sister may have survived the Shinkansen blast, but their role as "vessels of Kanto" aren't all that over. The payback return of 500 yen for a final, selfish request as an Akudama to Courier, Swindler really lived up to her name to protect her keepsake, both as Akudama and Ordinary Citizen, right down to her death "on the Cross" ALL HAPPY.

But the public revolt has turned the city of Kansai into a revolution, and already being labeled as Akudama, there's no going on their word and turning everyone into Danganronpa-style oppression as a death penalty. Regardless though, Courier took his delivery mission to fruition, pursuing death rather than life. Perfect.

The signature death flags are obvious of coming towards the selfish Akudama, and each of their deaths hold meaningful roles stacking towards the end.

This is Kosaka-sensei's style show alright. Sorta an open ending but I'll take it.

8/10 at best.
Dec 24, 2020 7:22 AM
Dec 2020
i like the ending it was amazing and swindler in her final moment near lelouch di britania
Dec 24, 2020 7:25 AM

Apr 2012
the fked up part is that thoses things happen irl
Dec 24, 2020 7:25 AM
May 2016
Great show, loved the ending. A fun ride from start to finish. 8/10
Dec 24, 2020 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
Yes, I always knew Christ was, in fact, an ordinary anime girl. Today/tomorrow is about the birth, not the death of Swindler, silly japanese people.

Good show though, good.
Dec 24, 2020 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
I had an absolute blast with this finale. Good show overall.
Colourful, stylish, wacky, well-animated, good direction and soundtrack. A good original anime.
Bit too stupid in some cases, but it was just fun, and that's what matters.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeJan 1, 2021 1:48 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2020

121 by budliteyagami »»
May 13, 12:34 AM

» Am I the only person who felt like the show was a stretch?

AnimeLeviathan - Dec 24, 2020

7 by corporateremoval »»
May 3, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2020

173 by vhowl »»
Apr 21, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2020

155 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:03 PM

» Why is the manga adaptation not on MAL?

APolygons2 - Apr 12

0 by APolygons2 »»
Apr 12, 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.