Forum Settings
Forums

why so much worry about the word "weeb" international fans of anime

New
Sep 15, 2018 3:44 AM

Oct 2016
now otaku already long lost its negative connotation, everyone want to be called as. for be the like fujoshi or wota, in public, local celebrities will not hide themselves. always so credible and reliable, big companies also provide what they're otaku customers want regard, never dissatisfied.

So for the words primary meaning into something positive, why foreigners did not just try its assimilate or shifting when been refer as one? more positive terms like japanophile, associate it with?

ol punching bag、the official
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2018 3:49 AM

Feb 2013
because the wapanese niwaka baka gaijin associate it with very negative stereotype
Sep 15, 2018 3:52 AM

Mar 2015
otaku getting less hate because people realize you can obsessed with everything... it's normal.. doesn't mean it can clear the steriotype that nerds (otaku) more often excluding them self from society, which is the one actually looked down upon...

weeb however, is just cringe, because it's not as simple as obsession... the definition it self is overobsession towards japan... unless people change the meaning of it, it's not gonna change the negative connotation of it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 15, 2018 4:07 AM

Aug 2013
That's a nice filter word to be honest. When you see that someone is using words like "weeb" you immediately know, you're dealing with brainlet and you don't need to waste your time arguing with someone like this.
rsc-plSep 15, 2018 4:10 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 15, 2018 4:09 AM

Apr 2016
Well, being called an Otaku is just fine. Just another word for a nerd. I am a huge nerd/Otaku as well. Weeb on the other hand? It's cringy af. Just search up it's definition. I'm sure urban dictionary has it.
And I highly doubt it's negative connotation is ever gonna change. Unless the entire world ends and the only survivors are actual weebs.
Sep 15, 2018 4:20 AM

May 2018
Because I am not a weeb. I don't buy anime merchandise, don't listen j-pop (or even worst: k-pop), don't cosplay, don't talk in semi-japanese.
I am just your regular anime addict.
Sep 15, 2018 4:22 AM

Jul 2017
Weeb is cringey whenever I hear about it so yeah.
Sep 15, 2018 4:22 AM

Jan 2011
Because it's the difference between liking something and being obnoxiously obsessive.
Sep 15, 2018 4:25 AM

Jan 2018
rsc-pl said:
That's a nice filter word to be honest. When you see that someone is using words like "weeb" you immediately know, you're dealing with brainlet and you don't need to waste your time arguing with someone like this.

You say something good. A quote I shall and a quote I will.
Sep 15, 2018 4:30 AM

Jul 2015
alshu said:
Because I am not a weeb. I don't buy anime merchandise, don't listen j-pop (or even worst: k-pop), don't cosplay, don't talk in semi-japanese.

I don't think owning anime merch is weeb, I buy manga so that I can support the creators, and some anime OP or ED are just good sounding. Plus cosplay has nothing to do with being weeb.

Weeb is something that you can't put into a definition just by saying that weebs like buying merch and cosplay, it's the way someone thinks that makes them a weeb. It's the obsession.
Sep 15, 2018 4:34 AM

May 2018
@AF44X
I buy manga so that I can support the creators

This is not a merchandise.This is the actual product.
Sep 15, 2018 4:41 AM

Oct 2015
Being an otaku (which isn't appropriate if we do follow the actual meaning) just means you are a bigger fan than your average anime fan. Its just you are more passionate with a sense of control, and we have counterparts of this community in other medium, gaming was in the same state as being an anime fan back then.

Weeb on the other hand is a bit, out there. They know no bounds in their enthusiasm that it becomes quite a pain to deal with. Its the attitude that differs it.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Sep 15, 2018 4:46 AM

Jan 2016
Kuma said:
otaku getting less hate because people realize you can obsessed with everything... it's normal.. doesn't mean it can clear the steriotype that nerds (otaku) more often excluding them self from society, which is the one actually looked down upon...

weeb however, is just cringe, because it's not as simple as obsession... the definition it self is overobsession towards japan... unless people change the meaning of it, it's not gonna change the negative connotation of it...

↑this..
even both has negative connotations, yet, sadly most peoples i met either it's irl or online can't separate between those words, and seemingly confuse to tell the different, to think everyone who like anime are immediately weeb
Sep 15, 2018 4:46 AM

Oct 2016
rsc-pl said:
syllogism nice use bt why arguable them not?

Sep 15, 2018 4:51 AM

Oct 2016
alshu said:
don't buy anime merchandise, don't listen j-pop (or even worst: k-pop), don't cosplay
it is really bad i think not. why the double standard foreigner get?

don't talk in semi-japanese.
annoying yes but can also mean over enthusiastic sometimes
ignoramoesSep 15, 2018 4:55 AM

Sep 15, 2018 4:59 AM

Oct 2016
-Lofn- said:

Weeb on the other hand is a bit, out there. They know no bounds in their enthusiasm that it becomes quite a pain to deal with. Its the attitude that differs it.
mind the actual example of, for comprehend its(the term) more

Sep 15, 2018 5:01 AM

Aug 2017
worrying about ones intrests is a silly thing to do, even if i do it kinda often. people just gotta except that everyone is weird and has weird habits in one way or another
Sep 15, 2018 5:05 AM

Oct 2015
ignoramoes said:
-Lofn- said:

mind the actual example of, for comprehend its(the term) more
Sometimes the difference is grey for a handful of people, but I'll follow suit with this since I do believe in the same dinstinctions

Sep 15, 2018 5:09 AM

Apr 2010
So I went and downloaded this "game",VR Chat,which turned out to be infested with goddamn weebs...I put my VR glasses on,entered the world and no matter where I turned to,it was a weeb here,a weeb over there,a weeb in the swimming pool,a weeb in the bar...Fuckin' weebs were even flying in the sky and and there was one girl with cat-ears coming out of the fucking ground,bro!
Now,with my VR glasses off,I'm still trippin' about that shit whenever I go to the convenience store,because there's a good chance a weeb would pop outta my chips bag or Pringles can...
ThrustSep 15, 2018 5:15 AM
Sep 15, 2018 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
shiroha said:
Kuma said:

↑this..
even both has negative connotations, yet, sadly most peoples i met either it's irl or online can't separate between those words, and seemingly confuse to tell the different, to think everyone who like anime are immediately weeb

that's called ignorance, which is different problem... people who throw "weeb" words everywhere abuses it showing they didn't know what the meaning of it only use it as ignorance insult....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 15, 2018 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
Here is how it works right now:
1. Many people keep in their minds that a being weeaboo is a bad thing, without knowing what a weeaboo is in the first place and what makes a person one.

2. The only thing they remember is that a weeaboo is something that has to do with anime.

3. So if they hear you like anime they instantly label you a weeaboo no questions asked. Since a weeaboo holds a bad reputation/ characteristics, you instantly get those even if its not true.

Even if they don't instantly label you as one, they still misunderstand the meaning... Wearing anime T-shirts, having anime op ringtones and throwing some Japanese words in you sentences (as long as you mind when you do it and with whom you are at the time. I don't understand why it would be bad to do it with you friends for the laughs) alone is not enough to make one a weeaboo lol

TL;DR a weeaboo in short is bad because they are annoying. People should stop skipping the means (getting to know the person and decide if they really are annoying or not) and just get straight to the result (they are weeaboos thus annoying just because they like anime a bit too much)
Sep 15, 2018 5:25 AM

Apr 2018
Because the term "weeb" associated with negative stereotypes and they find satisfaction looking down on people.
Sep 15, 2018 6:57 AM

Oct 2016
-Lofn- said:
5QvgLlFyeok

Mix of thoughts i have. There cute moments so did cringe one, which just because how poorly made the most of it. This, which funny in some sort, i remember left impression that with some creativity and just tiny of effort in editing, the obsession one has can get so meta

How desolate between fantasy and reality one actual experience also an issue. Is that geographical, sociocultural made the gap that society will never well receive those as individuals ?
detached? probably, over excessive? some did i guess, unhealthy? its depend, like why one can't get away with their inner world just because society condemned them to be cringeworthy. Did internet culture also to be blame or just life phase of someone also never be in contention 、like blaming and crucifying those at they're teenage state or the solitude hobby one can only get. Also is it suggesting how rare people behave that way nowadays? Since the thread started here its already implied much for self conscious anime fans

the obsessive part of otaku as well there in japan (As obvious people already knew about)

Not that way all japanese otaku behaved and not everyone actually into liking them but some liberation there is

ignoramoesSep 15, 2018 7:03 AM

Sep 15, 2018 7:22 AM

Sep 2014
Designing people in category is already an idiotic habit to begin with. People are individual being and if you believe in yourself then I don't think you should worry about someone calling you a weeb or whatever. It means that the person has difficulties in understanding other people so his opinion on the other people's identity barely hold water and should never be taken seriously.
Sep 15, 2018 7:37 AM

Oct 2016
Moe_Blob said:
worrying about ones intrests is a silly thing to do, even if i do it kinda often. people just gotta except that everyone is weird and has weird habits in one way or another

An0nim said:
Because the term "weeb" associated with negative stereotypes and they find satisfaction looking down on people.
this, the contradiction one which individual ourselves always couldn't get away, the tendency for looking down at other with the anxiety for oneself when or if the situation been reversed, essentially as it sound

Sep 15, 2018 7:43 AM

Apr 2016
I agree, we should more worry about the word "koreaboo", thats worse.
Sep 15, 2018 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
weebs tend to be really pretentious and racist. They put Japan on a pedestal and piss on their own country/ethnicity/habitat.

At first it seems pretty innocent. I mean, I didn't really think much of it back in the day. A lot of my friends were weebs back in highschool.

It's not until they started swarming the internet, that it truly began to become a problem.
Sep 15, 2018 7:51 AM

Jan 2016
Good that I'm not otaku. Cuz I'm only watch Anime and read Manga/Novel.
Sep 15, 2018 7:58 AM

May 2018
ignoramoes said:
alshu said:
don't buy anime merchandise, don't listen j-pop (or even worst: k-pop), don't cosplay
it is really bad i think not. why the double standard foreigner get?

don't talk in semi-japanese.
annoying yes but can also mean over enthusiastic sometimes

1. What I mean is that I am not pursuing some form of supposed "otaku lifestyle" or anything. People always assume that and they are wrong for the 90% of the anime fans. I just like animation.
2. Actually I am joking. The addiction is the essential part here and saying "Nooope, I am not one of those weirdos!" is self irony.
(Still I think liking pop music is weird :lol: )
Sep 15, 2018 7:59 AM

Oct 2015
ignoramoes said:

Not that way all japanese otaku behaved and not everyone actually into liking them but some liberation there is

The amount of "weaboo cringe" has diminished, a lot of anime fans are aware of what they are and what they watch in more modern landscape of the community, the birth of "Anime is trash and so am I" and oh so many self-aware fans. The old niche community is still niche, but its way more accepted than what it was, likewise with the gaming community, but gaming community isn't so cranny in an area of the internet. Internet culture has become bigger where diversity is well-accepted, but still to a limit. Weird is fine, I'm weird myself, I love my eccentric personality, but I try not to scare away people with it, that's the problem with "weaboos" because they may or not may be aware of what they say or what they do.

It's just not the internet culture that ostracized them, tell me, can you act normal if a certain person always spoke in such a language where its practically the Engrish version of Japanese most of the time, unironically. If you can, kudos to you, I'm a huge fan of anime myself and I'm aware of what I watched. People would still feel odd with people who doesn't know the common sense and courtesy. But what I am happy to say that its just more accepted and I'm happy about that anime has far reached and made enthusiast than it was before.

Also, I already differentiated otakus and weaboos. I do see them on different levels, one is in a somewhat moderated fans and the other is an somewhat extremist. Weaboo would even denounce their own culture and would say Japan is the only country that matters, isn't that a problem, non? I don't blight both fans, but surely, specially for the latter, someone does.

Sep 15, 2018 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
but yeah sorry. i mean

weeb is negative by definition.

otaku is negative too in a way, but it is more acceptable.

weeaboo is inherently racist.
A lot of people are weebs and don't really realize it, and most of them probably don't think they are being racist either.

but when you hear millions of people calling you "baka" for enjoying an anime dubbed in your own language, there is clearly something wrong within the community.

also i think it should be said that there is a big difference between someone who enjoys subs and someone who goes out of their way to spit on dubs as well as the people who watch them.

I watch more subs than dubs, but i love dubs.
It's extremely tiring to get the same kind of abuse after so many years.
removed-userSep 15, 2018 8:07 AM
Sep 15, 2018 8:17 AM
Aug 2016
Why can't you just call yourself an anime fan? Is it that hard?
Sep 15, 2018 8:52 AM

Feb 2010
Being a weeb in the actual sense of the word, as in glorifying japan and everything from japan and having an irrational and complete aversion against anything western aka your own culture, is just not a positive thing. It's irrational, unreasonable and usually based 100% on ingorance and prejudices and stereotypes. They are simply the anime fan counterpart to hateful normies who don't know shit about anime but hate it for no reason. They have taken it way past just having a preference into obnoxiously obsessed territory where they will twist how they see things just so it fits their worldview of glorifying Japan and hating the west. Some signs of being a modern weeb are:

- Being utterly and irrationally against anything western, like Netflix, without even trying to find out what their actual involvement does entice. Just the fact that it's western is enough to utterly reject it for them from the start, without compromise, without knowing any facts.

- Watching western animation like Castlevania in japanese dub because they don't care about the original audio, they just care about everything being in japanese since that is the superior language for them.

- Aggressively shitting on people who ever dared to enjoy a dub for any anime ever in their whole life. That's like being a traitor to the glorious nation of nippon.

- Being completely and solely into japanese pop culture while rejecting any other kind of hobby or interest, often even looking down on people who watch and like western stuff. It doesn't stop at anime, that's just where it starts. Music? Only Jpop. Live action? Only asian dramas. Food? Only japanese cuisine. Games? Only VNs and JRPGs. Literature? Only Light Novels. And so on. When you refuse any activities that are not related to Japan or at least east asia.

- Wanting their favorite cartoons to be classified as anime because they can't live with themselves liking something western. So they are very passionate about TLA being an anime for example, because they loved it but at the same time don't allow themselves to like anything non-japanese. So they have to see it as anime to not become schizophrenic.

So yeah, weeb is a negative and a cringey term and Otaku isn't because Otaku just means being passionate about a hobby, while weeb means being irrational, stubborn, completely one-sided and even twisting reality to fit your worldview, which extends way beyond just liking anime into almost ideological territory that glorifies one culture as the only one worth paying attention to while universally shitting on anything the rest of the world has to offer in terms of culture, art or entertainment. That's why I hate the people who refer to themselves or anyone else as 'weebs' just for being anime fans. That's about as far away from a weeb that you can be if you're just an anime fan.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2018 8:59 AM

Oct 2017
AF44X said:
alshu said:

I don't think owning anime merch is weeb, I buy manga so that I can support the creators, and some anime OP or ED are just good sounding. Plus cosplay has nothing to do with being weeb.

Weeb is something that you can't put into a definition just by saying that weebs like buying merch and cosplay, it's the way someone thinks that makes them a weeb. It's the obsession.

This sound liek somethin a weeb would say
I fyt for my africano tribe

Praise de gloriyus continent of Ethiopia

Praise de pryde of de contry of Africa
Sep 15, 2018 9:02 AM

Feb 2010
AfricanSoldia said:
AF44X said:

This sound liek somethin a weeb would say

not really. You don't seem to know what a weeb is tbh. Go read my post. Just partaking in some fan activities relating to anime is far from being a weeb. The glorification of japan and japanese culture and media has to go way beyond just anime and anime-specific activities. And there has to be an exclusivity to it couple with the rejection of anything else.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 15, 2018 9:05 AM

Jan 2009
its just that word definition changes (semantic change) as you said otaku does not mean bad obsession anymore but rather just being a fan, while weeb is the new bad obsession word
Sep 15, 2018 9:33 AM

Jan 2013
-Lofn- said:
Being an otaku (which isn't appropriate if we do follow the actual meaning) just means you are a bigger fan than your average anime fan. Its just you are more passionate with a sense of control, and we have counterparts of this community in other medium, gaming was in the same state as being an anime fan back then.
True, but it isn't just for anime.

It can be anything from books, cars, trains, cooking and well you get the idea...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 15, 2018 9:37 AM

Oct 2015
Cabron said:
[]True, but it isn't just for anime.

It can be anything from books, cars, trains, cooking and well you get the idea...
Which is exactly why I have the parenthesis and the succeeding conversation that otaku isn't exclusive to anime sips tea I don't mean much with this post

Sep 15, 2018 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
-Lofn- said:
Cabron said:
[]True, but it isn't just for anime.

Which is exactly why I have the parenthesis and the succeeding conversation that otaku isn't exclusive to anime sips tea I don't mean much with this post
You're right, my bad.
Was still half asleep when I typed that.

Sep 15, 2018 10:48 AM

Feb 2015
Sep 15, 2018 10:53 AM

Apr 2018
Who tf wants to be called an otaku ...
I am an anime fan...don't need to be called by anything else
Sep 15, 2018 11:01 AM

Sep 2018
Calling someone otaku is a worse crime than misgendering a snowflake on Tumblr.

Sep 15, 2018 2:40 PM

Dec 2008
Giving such word power that doesn't deserve? I pity you all.
Sep 15, 2018 3:01 PM

May 2009
ignoramoes said:
now otaku already long lost its negative connotation, everyone want to be called as. for be the like fujoshi or wota, in public, local celebrities will not hide themselves. always so credible and reliable, big companies also provide what they're otaku customers want regard, never dissatisfied.

So for the words primary meaning into something positive, why foreigners did not just try its assimilate or shifting when been refer as one? more positive terms like japanophile, associate it with?
What does your second paragraph mean? I want to answer your question but it doesn't make sense.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 15, 2018 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
rsc-pl said:

I just want to say that I agree 100% with this.

hazecloud said:
rsc-pl said:

You say something good. A quote I shall and a quote I will.

That has to be the cutest avatar in this forum.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Sep 15, 2018 3:14 PM

Apr 2018
Funny enough I thought Otaku was worse than Weeb seeing as how Tsutomu Miyazaki the "otaku killer" gave it it's negative connotation and since then I'm told folks from japan don't really call themselves that. yet international anime fans love calling themselves that xD
Sep 15, 2018 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
It doesn't help when said person considers him/herself one.

Sep 15, 2018 9:35 PM

Oct 2016
-Lofn- said:
]The amount of "weaboo cringe" has diminished, a lot of anime fans are aware of what they are and what they watch in more modern landscape of the community, the birth of "Anime is trash and so am I" and oh so many self-aware fans. The old niche community is still niche, but its way more accepted than what it was, likewise with the gaming community, but gaming community isn't so cranny in an area of the internet. Internet culture has become bigger where diversity is well-accepted, but still to a limit. Weird is fine, I'm weird myself, I love my eccentric personality, but I try not to scare away people with it, that's the problem with "weaboos" because they may or not may be aware of what they say or what they do.
chuunibyou (sort of) probably just the image that i had got all this time, with foreigner that labled as "weeb" so that differentiated my perception

It's just not the internet culture that ostracized them, tell me, can you act normal if a certain person always spoke in such a language where its practically the Engrish version of Japanese most of the time, unironically. If you can, kudos to you, I'm a huge fan of anime myself and I'm aware of what I watched. People would still feel odd with people who doesn't know the common sense and courtesy. But what I am happy to say that its just more accepted and I'm happy about that anime has far reached and made enthusiast than it was before.
know what you mean if them been persistent with their inner world, with actually bother other personal space, chance the tolerant one got has limit. fair enogh i feel.

Also, I already differentiated otakus and weaboos. I do see them on different levels, one is in a somewhat moderated fans and the other is an somewhat extremist. Weaboo would even denounce their own culture and would say Japan is the only country that matters, isn't that a problem, non? I don't blight both fans, but surely, specially for the latter, someone does.
extreme/hardcore otaku we seen that as well, but what you mean close to ( with the term not sure) i can get it
never actual my question but some compilation after yesterday just never really show up the example the fitted desciption of weeb (by pulman have been told) where implied superioty(toxicity) or hating own culture such as that
ignoramoesSep 15, 2018 9:41 PM

Sep 15, 2018 10:41 PM

Dec 2015
Because weeaboo, also known as weeb, stands for cultural appropiation for Japanese culture. People use these words they hear in anime, read in manga, hear in J-pop, etc. without knowing what it actually means or in the wrong context and refuse to actually learn about Japanese culture outside of pop media. Now you don't need to learn about it if you only watch anime but when using words like sugoi, kawaii etc. you look like a fool if you only know them from anime.

Next to that they don't even bother to see the reality considering Japan. They've been in an out of economic recessions since the 80's. Samurai tested their swords on innocent travellers. People literally working themselves to death isn't uncommon. Yet weeaboos refuse to learn about this and are even in denial about it when someone brings it up no matter how much evidence you can bring up and then often claim to be experts on Japanese culture. Do you really think watching anime is going to teach you anything but basic knowledge if even that? Weeaboos are just like wiggers in that they know nothing about the culture they claim to like and are often even offensive to said culture because of that.
Sep 15, 2018 11:03 PM

Dec 2016

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN YOU HERETIC WEEBS! FOR THE TRUE EMPEROR!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

42 by pludel2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - 11 hours ago

24 by Kruszer »»
3 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 7 hours ago

28 by TsutanaiFuun »»
13 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment ( 1 2 )

JaaShooUhh - Jun 12

63 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
25 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

118 by Zakception »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.