Forum Settings
Forums

Actor Morgan Freeman accused of inappropriate behavior and harassment

New
May 24, 2018 12:00 PM

Mar 2014
(Reuters) - At least eight women have accused actor Morgan Freeman of inappropriate behavior or harassment while working with them on film sets or at promotional events, CNN reported on Thursday.

CNN said it spoke with 16 people as part of its investigation into the 80-year-old actor, some of whom also alleged inappropriate behavior by Freeman at his production company, Revelations Entertainment.

In a statement, Freeman said he was sorry to anyone who had been made to feel uncomfortable or disrespected.

“Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy,” the statement said. “I apologize to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected — that was never my intent.”

Representatives for Freeman and Revelations Entertainment did not respond to requests for further comment. Reuters was unable to independently confirm any of the allegations.

Multiple accusations of sexual misconduct against male actors, filmmakers and agents have roiled Hollywood since October 2017, leading in some cases to resignations and the halting of projects.

Similar accusations have also engulfed men in U.S. politics and business, and inspired a #MeToo social media movement by victims sharing their stories of sexual harassment or abuse.

CNN said eight people told the network they were victims of what some labeled harassment and others called inappropriate behavior by Freeman. It said eight others told the network they witnessed the actor’s alleged misconduct.

CNN also said other sources denied having seen any questionable behavior by the actor, and that those sources described him as being professional on set and in the office.

Freeman, whose career has spanned 50 years and more than 100 movies, won a Oscar in 2005 as best supporting actor for his role as a former boxer in “Million Dollar Baby.”

Source
DUN-DUN-DUN

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
Comic_SansMay 24, 2018 2:24 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 2018 12:05 PM

Mar 2016
It was at this moment Morgan knew he fucked up.
May 24, 2018 12:14 PM
Sep 2012
damn lmao even Morgan freeman
then again once bill cosby goes anyones possible

May 24, 2018 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
Not even God can get away with rape.
May 24, 2018 12:52 PM

May 2015
Bayek said:
Not even God can get away with rape.

Tell that to Virgin Mary

Ba dum tss
May 24, 2018 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
some cases he was asking if they had on panties and what not. oh well, I really liked his voice and he was a great actor, now comes the fun of seeing how fast things disappear from streaming sites linked to this person. it wasn't as bad as some of the other sickos who has rolled out of Hollywood, but it's still wrong. tsk tsk.
May 24, 2018 1:04 PM

Jun 2016
A bunch of bored and unemployed housewives making up stories to get fifteen minutes of fame or launch a witchhunt against people they don't like/have a grudge against. At this point I don't take any of them seriously unless they actually say they were outright held down and raped, and even then they better have compelling proof. It's sad that it's come to that, but that's the way it is I guess.
May 24, 2018 1:12 PM

Nov 2008
100% fabricated. #Metoo is cancer and tyranny.

May 24, 2018 7:03 PM

May 2015
More bs, and more of the general public believing said bs even when there's no evidence. *sigh*

May 24, 2018 8:05 PM

Aug 2009
I'm strongly calling bullshit on this one.

May 24, 2018 8:08 PM

Jan 2009
big if true this accusation is
May 24, 2018 9:02 PM

Mar 2008
So what does this involve? It sounds mild from what I read so far in this thread.
May 24, 2018 9:04 PM
Jul 2016
quality shitpost?

May 24, 2018 9:21 PM

Feb 2018
I wonder if these accusations are real or not.
May 25, 2018 12:01 AM

May 2015
He was supposed to be the voice of my city's Transit announcements, but I think they put a pause to it, in light of the allegations. Didn't he have a sexual relationship with his Step-Granddaughter?
May 25, 2018 3:55 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. #MeToo got Bill Cosby and now they're after Morgan Freeman?
Sad.
May 25, 2018 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
i hope he simply making joke and those people simple easyly getting offended....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 25, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2016
Are they like throwing random guesses with this or what ?
May 25, 2018 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
Don't worry Freeman, if you do time for this, Tim Robbins will teach you how to crawl through the prison's sewage pipe.
May 25, 2018 4:39 AM

Apr 2017
To some of the misogynist peeps in this thread: Some witnesses are male, including actors like Alan Arkin. On top of that Morgan Freeman doesn't really deny what he has been accused of. Perhaps you should read up a little before you comment?

Swagernator said:
Are they like throwing random guesses with this or what ?

MAL-users are the ones making random guesses.
May 25, 2018 6:55 AM

Jun 2015
This would be really depressing if found out to be true.

Then again, depressing news is so common it's not even depressing anymore.

May 25, 2018 7:58 AM

Feb 2015
>that was never my intent.

Wait, so what does it then if it was not the intent they think it is?

Mhhh, well, ggwp, I've seen that someone is gonna replace him about the speech he'll say to some shit...
May 25, 2018 8:48 AM
Sep 2012
Lost_Viking said:
A bunch of bored and unemployed housewives making up stories to get fifteen minutes of fame or launch a witchhunt against people they don't like/have a grudge against. At this point I don't take any of them seriously unless they actually say they were outright held down and raped, and even then they better have compelling proof. It's sad that it's come to that, but that's the way it is I guess.

Jesus Christ you made almost the exact post in a different thread. It's remarkable that your first instincts are to classify allegations of sexual harassment/misconduct as witchhunts and gold-digging. Your trust of women is ridiculously low and cynical, and frankly...DARE I SAY IT, misogynist.

And allegations of sexual misconduct, harassment, and assault are only valid if women are held down and raped?

Fuck me I used to think it was silly for universities to force students to take seminars on consent but I guess I finally understand why they do it, especially when men in their mid 20s see nothing wrong with men in positions of power extorting sex out of their employees.
May 25, 2018 9:06 AM
Jul 2016
What exactly is he supposed to have done? Are we talking an overly familiar hand on the shoulder or copping a feel of a woman's behind? A misplaced compliment of a woman's appearance, or an attempt to pressure her into sleeping with him?

I mean, come on. There are a lot of actors I can totally see abusing their positions to legitimately harass women, but Morgan Freeman? I may disagree with the guy on a variety of issues, but I genuinely can't see him engaging in any truly inappropriate behavior. Trying to be friendly and being misconstrued as creepy? Maybe. Genuine harassment? It just totally seems out of character.

True, appearances can be very deceiving, but I'm still skeptical. So, I reiterate my question: What exactly is he supposed to have done?
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
May 25, 2018 9:13 AM

May 2010
Innocent until proven guilty is all I have to say about the matter.

I came up with a resolution to the whole "we should believe victims" stance. How about we believe both the victim and the suspect? Meaning we can believe the crime happened, but we don't have to believe the suspect is the one who did it. Meanwhile we can believe the suspect didn't do it, but that the crime happened.

Meanwhile if evidence proves that either the suspect is guilty or the crime didn't take place, then we can punish them accordingly.
May 25, 2018 9:20 AM
Jul 2016
Thrashinuva said:
Innocent until proven guilty is all I have to say about the matter.

I came up with a resolution to the whole "we should believe victims" stance. How about we believe both the victim and the suspect? Meaning we can believe the crime happened, but we don't have to believe the suspect is the one who did it. Meanwhile we can believe the suspect didn't do it, but that the crime happened.

Meanwhile if evidence proves that either the suspect is guilty or the crime didn't take place, then we can punish them accordingly.

This is genuinely the most brilliant thing I've heard all week.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
May 25, 2018 9:21 AM
Sep 2012
Phendrus said:
What exactly is he supposed to have done? Are we talking an overly familiar hand on the shoulder or copping a feel of a woman's behind? A misplaced compliment of a woman's appearance, or an attempt to pressure her into sleeping with him?

I mean, come on. There are a lot of actors I can totally see abusing their positions to legitimately harass women, but Morgan Freeman? I may disagree with the guy on a variety of issues, but I genuinely can't see him engaging in any truly inappropriate behavior. Trying to be friendly and being misconstrued as creepy? Maybe. Genuine harassment? It just totally seems out of character.

True, appearances can be very deceiving, but I'm still skeptical. So, I reiterate my question: What exactly is he supposed to have done?

Change "skeptical" to something else, because if you were truly skeptical you would have checked original CNN article (which I believe OP you should link to, because it's more substantial.

A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on "Going In Style," a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.

But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.
In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

Sure innocent until proven guilty, but when similar accusations are made by 15 other women from different movie sets, venues, and professions then he's pretty fucking guilty.

May 25, 2018 9:29 AM

May 2010
Mendelssohn said:
Sure innocent until proven guilty, but when similar accusations are made by 15 other women from different movie sets, venues, and professions then he's pretty fucking guilty.

No. Innocent until proven guilty. Accusations are not evidence. I could accuse you of something right now. Doesn't mean you should be jailed for it. I could probably get a few others to accuse you of the same thing. Doesn't make the accusations any more credible.
May 25, 2018 9:30 AM
Jul 2016
Mendelssohn said:
Phendrus said:

Change "skeptical" to something else,

I'm curious to hear what exactly you plan to do if I ignore this edict.

Mendelssohn said:
because if you were truly skeptical you would have checked original CNN article (which I believe OP you should link to, because it's more substantial.

You seem to be confused as to the definition of "skeptical." The definition of "skeptical" is "not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations" (Source: Google.) It doesn't oblige me to actively seek out information on a topic I only have a passing interest in.

Mendelssohn said:
A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on "Going In Style," a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.

But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.
In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

Okay, assuming that's true, then yeah, that's unacceptable.

Mendelssohn said:

Still doesn't prove anything without further investigation.

May 25, 2018 9:36 AM
Sep 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Mendelssohn said:

No. Innocent until proven guilty. Accusations are not evidence. I could accuse you of something right now. Doesn't mean you should be jailed for it. I could probably get a few others to accuse you of the same thing. Doesn't make the accusations any more credible.

Man shut the fuck up. Lmfao.

Phendrus said:
Mendelssohn said:

Change "skeptical" to something else,

Mendelssohn said:
because if you were truly skeptical you would have checked original CNN article (which I believe OP you should link to, because it's more substantial.

You seem to be confused as to the definition of "skeptical." The definition of "skeptical" is "not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations" (Source: Google.) It doesn't oblige me to actively seek out information on a topic I only have a passing interest in.

Mendelssohn said:

Mendelssohn said:

Doubt before even surveying the evidence laid out to you is the exact opposite of skepticism. Lmao
May 25, 2018 9:42 AM
Jul 2016
Mendelssohn said:
Thrashinuva said:

This is a five-star counterargument right here.

Mendelssohn said:
Phendrus said:

Doubt before even surveying the evidence laid out to you is the exact opposite of skepticism. Lmao

The dictionary disagrees with you.

Also, I surveyed the evidence before me. I just chose to ask for further info rather than seeking it out myself - mainly because I'm not terribly invested in the matter.

May 25, 2018 9:45 AM
Sep 2012
Phendrus said:
Mendelssohn said:

Mendelssohn said:

The dictionary disagrees with you.

Also, I surveyed the evidence before me. I just chose to ask for further info rather than seeking it out myself - mainly because I'm not terribly invested in the matter.

"Maybe Morgan Freeman was just being nice and the women misunderstood" pretty much depicts you didn't survey shit, because it clearly contradicts the content of the article.

I have no interest in arguing with someone who only cares about banal technicalities.
May 25, 2018 9:48 AM
Nov 2013
Not another one! Well, let’s just say he might not be a free man for long...
May 25, 2018 9:54 AM

May 2010
Phendrus said:
Mendelssohn said:

Was I just eternally btfo'd? How will I ever recover?
May 25, 2018 10:02 AM
Jul 2016
Mendelssohn said:
I have no interest in arguing with someone who only cares about banal technicalities.

Well, I suppose that absolves you of all right to complain when I say I've lost interest in arguing with an aggressive curmudgeon.

May 25, 2018 10:03 AM

Dec 2017
God damnit. Are all my heroes gonna turn out to be scumbags?
May 25, 2018 10:03 AM
Sep 2012
Phendrus said:
Mendelssohn said:

Well, I suppose that absolves you of all right to complain when I say I've lost interest in arguing with an aggressive curmudgeon.

At least you know when to quit and save your facade of impartiality for something else.
May 25, 2018 11:27 AM

May 2015
Mendelssohn said:
Phendrus said:

Change "skeptical" to something else, because if you were truly skeptical you would have checked original CNN article (which I believe OP you should link to, because it's more substantial.

Accusations ≠ the truth, no matter how many there are.

May 25, 2018 11:29 AM
Sep 2012
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Mendelssohn said:

Truth doesn't exist anyways.
May 25, 2018 1:13 PM
Jul 2016
Mendelssohn said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Oh, really? Do you claim that this statement is true?

May 25, 2018 1:47 PM
Sep 2012
Phendrus said:
Mendelssohn said:

Oh, really? Do you claim that this statement is true?

My brain just short-wired, congrats you killed Hume.
May 25, 2018 2:11 PM

Apr 2014
this is actually one of the incidents im most interested in since i personally like Freeman.
May 25, 2018 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Accusations are not evidence.
And the vast majority of people are not prosecutors. As I've said in other threads, "believe women" is not a legal principle, it's a social/ethical principle. It's a rule of thumb based on the fact that most accusations are genuine, a counter-weight to the minimizing of sexual crimes, and an expression of solidarity with victims. No one is saying that an accusation is sufficient evidence upon which to put someone in jail. That's a straw man.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 25, 2018 3:44 PM

Oct 2009
Just people jumping on the gravy train. LOAD OF RUBBISH
May 25, 2018 3:46 PM
Jan 2013
gordon not so freeman
gone bai bai
May 25, 2018 3:49 PM

Dec 2015
Mkim said:
gordon not so freeman

aww man that's good.
When he finally goes to prison I'm gonna steal that joke post it on Twitter and pretend that I came up with it.
May 25, 2018 4:17 PM

May 2010
Josh said:
Thrashinuva said:
And the vast majority of people are not prosecutors. As I've said in other threads, "believe women" is not a legal principle, it's a social/ethical principle. It's a rule of thumb based on the fact that most accusations are genuine, a counter-weight to the minimizing of sexual crimes, and an expression of solidarity with victims. No one is saying that an accusation is sufficient evidence upon which to put someone in jail. That's a straw man.
If we're going to talk about the rate of false claims of sexual assault, then perhaps we should compare? Regardless of numbers you choose to believe, under the same scrutiny false claims of murder will be substantially lower. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. The evidence left behind of an actual sexual assault is often either minuscule or non-existent, which means the difference between it having happened or not is whether the victim is telling the truth or lying.

The concern people have is that these real victims are then invisible and doubted. I simply ask that you extend that to the even more invisible and doubted victim, the one who is victim to false accusation.

The false accusation is not even necessarily a crime according to legal standard depending on where it is in the country, despite the act creating a clear victim, damaging their public image if not jailing them for a crime they didn't commit, possibly for decades. And when their names are cleared, their records aren't even exonerated fully.

By all means, treat the uncertain victim of sexual assault as if it was certain that they're a victim, but don't give them special treatment just because they're most often women. On the flip side, most victims of false accusation are men, where women are the culprits. If we're to generalize the genders, then it should be clear that both genders are guilty.

The problem with studying how many reports are false, is that not all claims of sexual assault are actually reported as a crime. In many circumstances the accusation is made publicly, with absolutely no intent to take legal action. It is at this point that the police sit in their seats to do nothing, because they have nothing to investigate to determine whether it was true or not. Meanwhile of the reports that actually are made legally, many of them are indeed false, with an unknown number of cases that we'll never know are false.

Justice is blind, not because it ignores the facts, but because it holds the same standards regardless of circumstance, victim, or suspect. The standards are that physical evidence is the strongest determination of guilt, and witness reports hold very little weight unless backed up by physical evidence.

Anyways. What I said was in response to Mendel stating that having more than one of a similar accusation automatically resulted in guilt. So no, it's not a straw man.
May 25, 2018 5:38 PM

Dec 2008
It's just the same process over and over. These memes never know when to rest. Cosby. Now Freeman.
May 25, 2018 6:04 PM

Sep 2012
so who's next?
my suspension of disbelief has been broken now.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 25, 2018 6:06 PM
Sep 2012
Josh said:
Thrashinuva said:

Fuck me right in the ass. Okay don't, but seriously fucking thank you. Rather than debating the actual topic these guys would rather go nowhere and get hung up on court of law nomenclature and technicalities.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.