Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 2, 2018 12:26 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty okay starting episode. I'm actually pretty intrigued. The dub voices are so much better, or even the English subs based off the dub far surpass that of the one made for the Japanese one. There's zero life to the ones made for Japanese voices.

Looks like we got your typical genius guy and all we know so far is that some girl passed away, which I honestly hope isn't the motivation for his work.

Animation and art was good for this shows type of styling IMO and fits. I just hope it doesn't turn into something generic. Episode was pretty fast paced and just puts you into the show with no real context and guns blazin'. That would be one of my main gripes as a starting episode.

I wonder what these "Marks" are though.
TyrelMar 2, 2018 12:48 AM
Mar 2, 2018 12:41 AM

Jul 2016
I like the characters and setting so far. Animation was gorgeous too. It's nice to see Netflix creating a really good dub for a change. I watched both subbed and dubbed and the dub is definitely better. I like Koku a bit more in Japanese but his English actor is very good too.
Mar 2, 2018 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
Good start so far, a little hectic and I have lot of questions but it's only the first episode. The dub was also pretty good so I'll keep watching it dubbed.
Mar 2, 2018 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
Drop. Definitely not for me, looks like a edgy shonen for Americans.

Hope that A.I.C.O. is better but I don't have much hope on Netflix.
Mar 2, 2018 3:11 AM

Sep 2011
YorukaWaifu said:

"Made for Americans." Lol what? These tropes are basically what you'd find in your everyday anime.
Mar 2, 2018 3:24 AM

May 2014
Oh great. Mark Jefferson is in anime now.
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Mar 2, 2018 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
Label it and compare with others for me please.
Mar 2, 2018 4:52 AM
Jan 2014
YorukaWaifu said:

There's literally nothing shonen-like about it. It couldn't be further from shonen, tbh. It is meant to be pretty western-friendly, though.
Mar 2, 2018 5:21 AM

Jan 2016
That was certainly an interesting episode. It does seem like someone took Death Note, Psycho Pass and Tokyo Ghoul and put them all in a fruit mixer, but we'll see how this goes.

I'm interested especially in the setting; how the politics and past of the place this is set in work, and all the individual pasts of the characters. I'm glad there's a lot of show-not-tell here too.

I have high hopes for this - hopefully this won't end up like a

After all, this is just The Beginning...
Mar 2, 2018 6:18 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah it's pretty decent for a first eps.
Mar 2, 2018 6:40 AM
Oct 2017
I feel like this series will get a lot of hate like Hajimete no gal did because the Japanese version is bad, the Dub however Is really good for both series.
Mar 2, 2018 7:42 AM

Dec 2016
SushiAnime said:
I feel like this series will get a lot of hate like Hajimete no gal did because the Japanese version is bad, the Dub however Is really good for both series.
Wait, you think Hajimete no Gal got hate because the JP VAs were bad? I think there were plenty of other reasons.....
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
Mar 2, 2018 7:51 AM
Jan 2016
Well, just as I expected, it's nothing special. The writing was pretty weak, made the first episode flowed quite awkwardly. And I did not like the "lazy yet incredibly smart" guy, this trope is not my cup of tea. It's like they tried to make a smart detective like in Terror in Resonance, but amp up the unbelievability to 100.

ButadonMeitantei said:
I'm glad there's a lot of show-not-tell here too.

Well, I would say that it's more of "so many things crammed & not enough time to explain." It's not a deliberate show-not-tell like Texhnolyze or Ergo Proxy.

rodolfoemiliano said:

What do you mean?
Mar 2, 2018 8:15 AM
Oct 2017
Mealstrom_1 said:
SushiAnime said:
Wait, you think Hajimete no Gal got hate because the JP VAs were bad? I think there were plenty of other reasons.....

There were, but that was one of the main reasons, obviously it wasn’t the only one, the story was meh and the comedy wasn’t half as funny in the Japanese version, people also hate on it simply because it’s Ecchi.
Mar 2, 2018 8:28 AM

Jun 2013
TheServant said:

rodolfoemiliano said:

What do you mean?

How it is, similar to what other, etc.
Mar 2, 2018 8:41 AM
Feb 2014
It seems interesting to me. Even if you don't really like what is going on, the animation and action is pretty good to be honest.
Mar 2, 2018 8:50 AM
Jan 2016
rodolfoemiliano said:
How it is, similar to what other, etc.

Well, I only watched the first episode, so I am not really sure how to answer that. Sorry.

zoderos said:
. . . the animation and action is pretty good to be honest.

It's indeed well-animated, but the action was okay at best, mainly because of the average action choreography.
Mar 2, 2018 10:18 AM

Sep 2011
Well this was a very noteworthy first episode, also im watching this in dub and its excellent. They got ray chase to voice Kieth and he just does a stellar job in everything hes a part of

So right off the bat, i want to immediately shine light on how spectacular the tone, animation, art style, and general directing was. This feels very well put together by the team and its giving me alot of hope that this hopefully will not trainwreck as this is the type of show that feels like its going to have that possibility of falling apart at any time.

As for the actual episode, I have a cautiously optimistic feeling about it, i quite like our main 3 characters so far and how it seems like all 3 are going to be at odds of each other judging from bits of this episode and the op/ed at the end. Kieth's personality was very different than i expected, i worry people are just going to call him a L rip off cause hes a aloof detective but he seems to be alot more normal than L which already differentiates him enough for me.

The setting im really digging, the vibe i got the whole time was ghost in the shell with supernatural elements, has alot of potential to do some cool stuff with it though I worry a 12 episode count isnt going to give the world enough time to flesh out cause there was very little to non existent worldbuilding this episode.

I'm a tad worried about the antagonists, they just seem kind of out of place at least in design, the least interesting looking one was just some disposable jobber so thats at least a good sign that the rest will be more interesting since they seem less over the top.

I'm guessing this show is going to be less a mystery, and more a game of cat and mouse, what i think is interesting and hope is handled well is it seems to be a triangle of cat and mouse, with Keith going after koku, and koku going after those terrorists. So hopefully they are able to capture a real tension in this chase.

Overall cautiously optimistic. I think it will be a real waste if this show drops the ball especially since I think alot is riding on this to be good as it'll be truly representative of the stuff Netflix can produce in this medium and prove devilman isnt just a good fluke.

YorukaWaifu said:

Aico is the one that looks more aimed at younger audiences (shounen). I am also convinced aico is going to be the second coming of guilty crown, i will be seriously shocked if it gets anything higher than a 2/10 from me and I kind of am pissed bones is wasting time on it. I normally never go into a show so pessimistically but everything about it they have released in addition to the frankly horrendous staff involved just screams all time worst to me. B the beginning on the contrary feels more like one of those shows with potential to be amazing but also one with the possibility to trainwreck at any time.
JizzyHitlerMar 2, 2018 10:25 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 2, 2018 10:18 AM

May 2012
SushiAnime said:

Hajimete no gal japanese was very good. I can't imagine the Dub being better specially for fanservice shows
Mar 2, 2018 10:21 AM

Jul 2014
Sloppy exposition, almost nonexistent characterization and schizophrenic pacing. At least the visuals and music are cool tho.
Take care of yourself

Mar 2, 2018 11:27 AM

Dec 2017
I absolutely loved it, the art is 10/10 and I'm intrigued to know more about the characters.
Mar 2, 2018 1:49 PM

Jan 2009
the animation is awesome, and Lily is best girl in this show already
Mar 2, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
I have seen 3 episodes ,everything pass so fast and don't understand anything, I feel like I'm watching a second season.

Mar 2, 2018 2:29 PM

Dec 2015
Wow 12 episode at once? How , is this good havent seen it?
Mar 2, 2018 2:42 PM

Jan 2012
1st was pretty good. lets see the rest!
Mar 2, 2018 3:08 PM

Nov 2016
Liked what I saw,the flow and vibe are something I really dig. The action was flashy and fun to watch,CGI looked fine too.

Interesting premise, good production values and a decent dub.

Pretty good start overall,hope they're keeping that level and don't drive the story against a wall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 2, 2018 3:43 PM
Apr 2016
It is decent and overwhelming. What art is supposed to struggle to be. Also gives strong Guilty Crown sensation I have not felt in a long time. I.G. Productions and Netflix are really complicated in my evaluation book.
Re:formed
Mar 2, 2018 8:34 PM

Aug 2014
one of the better pilots out there
Mar 2, 2018 9:54 PM

Oct 2012
It's fast-paced and full of action and mystery. There's quite a bit going on and it should be interesting to see how it's all connected. We also don't know if B's even a good guy (probably is) or even what he is. Really happy with the animation quality too.
Mar 2, 2018 10:12 PM

Jan 2017
#1 ED of the Year...hands down. That song though. I could listen to it on repeat. In fact, I have been.

Mar 3, 2018 3:46 AM
Mar 2018
I have not watched this show, yet i am very intrigued by it. I saw a trailer while i was scrolling through Netflix and the premise seems familiar yet pretty interesting...would anyone recommend this show?
Mar 3, 2018 5:50 AM
Apr 2016
PapaFuzz said:
I have not watched this show, yet i am very intrigued by it. I saw a trailer while i was scrolling through Netflix and the premise seems familiar yet pretty interesting...would anyone recommend this show?

If you try reading the commentaries preceding yours, you will find an answer to your question. And it is a series, not a "show".
Re:formed
Mar 3, 2018 11:07 AM

Feb 2015
Whoa, that was pretty intense! I got death note vibes from it.

Keith versus B, I wonder who will win.
Mar 3, 2018 2:55 PM

Sep 2016
Amazing first episode, certainly got me hooked!
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 3, 2018 9:52 PM

Jul 2016
the opening strangely has a resemblance to vitas's 7th element... yes. i know. i should listen to it again next episode and see if my ears need checking or if there really is a similarity between the two.
what got me mad was that the brothers and the other guy did all that to that innocent girl. i was so (angry) shocked that i rewinded it since i didn't believe it. scum. all of them... maybe she wasn't innocent and this is a fictional work of art but i don't give a f*ck, how dare they?! damm. feel like that guy needs to shave. also the white haired dude may be old but he's still rocking it, he's like anderson cooper. there was a blonde, potential antagonist i was interested in. can't remember exactly, but it looked like he had a mask or some sort of clown makeup on. cringed saying clown makeup since that reminds me of juggalos. actually the whole crew behind minatsuki are clowns. right? that's their theme, right... i mean the name quinn. harlequin. the ending has that 3d glasses effect going on which is cool. are old 3d glasses still a thing, i wonder? in theaters? no?
Cazqui-09Mar 3, 2018 10:13 PM
Mar 4, 2018 12:21 AM

Jun 2015
Interesting and chaotic start in equal parts. I'm not a fan of any director's work, but the mix of their styles intrigues me.
Mar 4, 2018 2:00 PM
Oct 2011
modboy said:
It's fast-paced and full of action and mystery. There's quite a bit going on and it should be interesting to see how it's all connected. We also don't know if B's even a good guy (probably is) or even what he is. Really happy with the animation quality too.

Yeah, looking forward to having time to watch the rest, seems quite promising.
Mar 4, 2018 4:25 PM

May 2015
That was an intriguing and pretty good first episode in my opinion, I liked it. Animation was great as well. Should be in for a good ride if it continues like this.

Mar 4, 2018 5:50 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty intriguing and action packed first episode. The pace was a little too fast for my liking, but I imagine as the show goes on and it possibly slows down a bit it will get better
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 4, 2018 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
Okay, what do we have here?

A guy, who looks like a hobo and solves a crime by scribbling an indecipherable mess on a board like in Numb3rs. A teenager, that is a mutant and apparently hunts down the local The Joker fan club (and is of course related to a member of the police). A strangely incompetent special unit of the police.

I'll see, where this will go, but so far it's impossible to take this even remotely seriously.
TheBigGuyMar 4, 2018 10:15 PM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 5, 2018 6:22 AM

Dec 2014
That was really good, great starting episode. I was hooked.

I'm pretty intrigued with the setting and there are a lot of interesting elements in the story that I'm looking forward to see revealed.
The action was great with pretty good production. Chase scenes and the fight atop the train were especially really good.

I'm interested in seeing how this is gonna turn out.
Mar 5, 2018 8:08 AM

Feb 2014
First Netflix show and its this good! WOW!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 5, 2018 10:10 AM

May 2012
dasprn said:

What do you mean by 1st netflix show ?!

There is another netflix show aired 2 month ago, and it is also good
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35120/Devilman__Crybaby
Mar 5, 2018 10:13 AM

Feb 2014
thepath said:
dasprn said:

What do you mean by 1st netflix show ?!

There is another netflix show aired 2 month ago, and it is also good
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35120/Devilman__Crybaby

Yeah but it was a first for me XD
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 5, 2018 12:08 PM

Jun 2015
I really hate this show, my first impression is really bad, its like a cartoon made for americans, really strong west aftertaste in this one, also I found it really boring too, dropped, from now on I will stay away from Netflix stuff, their style always american like, and simply too westish for me
Mar 5, 2018 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
I bet if there wasn't a "A Netflix Exclusive Original Anime" watermark and instead said "Production I.G! Same Studio that worked on Attack on Titan," people would be orgasming.

That aside, I liked the mysterious start as this anime is worked on by the same creators of Zankyou no Terror. I like the Seinen vibes and crime story background mixed with the supernatural cult setting. So far Devilman and this are strong starts for anime in the west.
Mar 5, 2018 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
K I L L E R B
I
L
L
E
R
B

Okay, im done. I had to get that out.

Anyway, my clusterfuck meter is reading off the charts! But somehow nonetheless, I am still intrigued and interested in watching this.
Mar 6, 2018 4:45 AM
Apr 2017
I am totally intrigued!! I'm binge watching this, it feels like a mix of Pyscho pass and death note, Animation on point, soundtrack is beautiful too. I'm looking forward to this.
Mar 6, 2018 8:25 PM

Dec 2008
Well, it's gotten my attention.
Mar 11, 2018 1:42 PM
Nov 2013
i like when they search letter B im the briefing room , one has same font like in Death Note L
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » B: The Beginning Episode 11 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2018

24 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Mar 7, 8:04 AM

Poll: » B: The Beginning Episode 10 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2018

25 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 13, 2023 12:37 PM

Poll: » B: The Beginning Episode 9 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2018

29 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 13, 2023 12:03 PM

Poll: » B: The Beginning Episode 8 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2018

28 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 13, 2023 11:21 AM

Poll: » B: The Beginning Episode 6 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2018

31 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 12, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.