Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 2, 2017 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode, the way they are focusing on Pho and the narrative dialogues made this worth watching.

Not to mention, I feel like there's a big change to Pho's character too since some of the more recent events. The cliffhanger got me a little nervous.
Stark700Dec 2, 2017 5:37 AM
Dec 2, 2017 5:34 AM

Nov 2010
Dark phosphophyllite has come out of nowhere. He is like Jomy Marquis Shin.
Dec 2, 2017 9:44 AM
Jun 2011
wow this sure big change compare to the phos we knew before
Dec 2, 2017 11:01 AM

Oct 2017
Phos has becomes so badass in this episode XD.

Her power is OP as fuck :P
That starting part is so cool.
Dec 2, 2017 12:02 PM

Sep 2013
I like when everyone thinks that this Phos is mature and serious, but inside it still is childish. :)
Dec 2, 2017 12:08 PM
Jun 2011
WieczornyKac said:
I like when everyone thinks that this Phos is mature and serious, but inside it still is childish. :)
how come? I didn't felt any childish from phos this episode
Dec 2, 2017 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
Ugly hairstyle.... ugh...

Phos sounded like they're really bored at the start. I was also right about the powder used on their legs but their body looks better without it imo.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 2, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2015
Phos has completely changed after what happened to her. She is very powerful and has this mature aura. It was amusing watching the others being fascinated about her. Her previous hairstyle was better.
Dec 2, 2017 12:16 PM

Dec 2016
When they say what a difference a week make just, just watch episode 8 & 9 for this show.

Well Phos is definitely different, can take care of the enemies going solo but now has absolutely no personality, and the mind is in a complete mess.

I kinda miss the old Phos, at least that version had personality and was fun to watch.
Dec 2, 2017 12:33 PM
Jun 2011
LukesYGO_WSonYT said:
When they say what a difference a week make just, just watch episode 8 & 9 for this show.

Well Phos is definitely different, can take care of the enemies going solo but now has absolutely no personality, and the mind is in a complete mess.

I kinda miss the old Phos, at least that version had personality and was fun to watch.
not only that but according to sensei each time she use this alloy the more cracks appears on her body
Dec 2, 2017 12:34 PM

Sep 2013
elior1 said:
WieczornyKac said:
how come? I didn't felt any childish from phos this episode

e.g. When Phos was talking with Cinnabar and it said "of course not..."
Dec 2, 2017 12:39 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The gems playing with the new Phos was absolutely hilarious XDDD

Phos in the end was forced to change (loss of arms and legs and the replacement giving her a new personality). Seeing her in this state was really, really weird at first but she's still someone who's eager to learn even with powers that she got gifted with basically.

That Cinnabar line though...i knew she would forget, FUCK! I wonder how they will continue this plotline now.

She doesn't seem to be enjoying this though, she dreamed of it, now the cruel reality is here.
Dec 2, 2017 12:42 PM

Nov 2014
Due to the great loss of original fragments and mix of additional fragments change her personality.

Sensei mentioned the 'ancient organisms' when Phos cried. Did he mean human? The existence of the country of jewels related to the ancient history.
Dec 2, 2017 12:47 PM

Apr 2016
yep, Phos was more fun and expressive before, not only his hair changed but also his eyes, his face and somehow his voice. Now he's depressed, tired, we can understand why but he also almost take himself as seriously as borft. I thought one jerk was enough for the whole gem family.

I love their spring uniform, maybe because it hides their CGI butt, my only critic with their otherwise nice design.

Best moments :
_ the gems waking up
_ the gems being curious and enthusiast around Phos
_ Phos being Phos using his arms to make flowers
_ the twins Amethysts
_ Sensei taking Jade high up in the air and saying "himitsu!" and all the other gems being jealous like little kids around their father : priceless !

only 3 epsidoes left.

Too short!!!
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 2, 2017 12:50 PM
Dec 2, 2017 12:55 PM
Jun 2011
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
yep, Phos was more fun and expressive before, not only his hair changed but also his eyes, his face and somehow his voice. Now he's depressed, tired, we can understand why but he also almost take himself as seriously as borft. I thought one jerk was enough for the whole gem family.

I love their spring uniform, maybe because it hides their CGI butt, my only critic with their otherwise nice design.

Best moments :
_ the gems waking up
_ the gems being curious and enthusiast around Phos
_ Phos being Phos using his arms to make flowers
_ the twins Amethysts
_ Sensei taking Jade high up in the air and saying "himitsu!" and all the other gems being jealous like little kids around their father : priceless !

only 3 epsidoes left.

Too short!!!
well that due to her parts replaced with new body parts. at some point you can begin to change without knowing it
Dec 2, 2017 1:10 PM

Oct 2014
This show is just... wow. I never knew a simple contradiction could be so potent in drawing one's attention to a specific moment.
It felt like this episode was a struggle to get through, in how the show constantly fights itself, yet it simultaneously felt over in four times shorter than it actually is.
Phos is so clearly in pain by what happened to Antarcticite but Sensei decries responding with tears?? How can someone move on if they don't let go?
It goes on and on with this struggles. Phos clearly still is themselves underneath their new style but chooses to express less emotion. Also, Phos is the most breakable gem but now the strongest fighter. There are so many well-done contradictions that just perfectly highlight how much Phos has changed since the beginning.

More of the well utilized negative space in this episode. Perhaps there wasn't as much of that breathtaking camerawork, but it looks like we're in for a dual next ep.
Dec 2, 2017 1:37 PM

Jul 2017
Don't like that they just skipped the growth phase, we just got before-after and a "deal with it" slapped on the side. Some parts of the episode felt forcefully awkward, especially felt fake and borderline cringeworthy when they were all gathering around Phos like bunch of groupies.

I wish the gave us more exposition about the world.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Dec 2, 2017 1:41 PM
Jun 2011
Anatithe said:
Don't like that they just skipped the growth phase, we just got before-after and a "deal with it" slapped on the side. Some parts of the episode felt forcefully awkward, especially felt fake and borderline cringeworthy when they were all gathering around Phos like bunch of groupies.

I wish the gave us more exposition about the world.
they actually didn't skipped it this how was it in the manga. they went right away to how she looks like no growth phase
Dec 2, 2017 1:58 PM
Nov 2017
Anatithe said:
felt fake and borderline cringeworthy when they were all gathering around Phos like bunch of groupies.

Imagine being 100s/1000s of years old, only knowing <30 people your entire life, and then you wake up one day to learn that one of them went from useless to badass while demonstrating a number of unique new capabilities.

Now picture ~25 people processing that all at once and feeding off each others' excitement.

It would be weird if they didn't act like groupies.
Dec 2, 2017 2:20 PM

Mar 2009
Phos sure has changed, which is kind of sad. She's a great fighter now, at least.
Dec 2, 2017 2:23 PM

Aug 2013
Just when I think this series can't surprise me anymore because it's so enjoyable, it proves me wrong and throws a complete curveball at me with Phos' big time change. Wow...this show is just phenomenal with the tonal shifts.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 2, 2017 3:00 PM

Jul 2015
Phos' changes scare me, she really is different from before due to the changes to her body.

The sections with the other gems going crazy of curiosity were hilarious, I doubt they have seen something like this before.

I really like how it went basically for the same scene with the Amethysts, but this time Phos completely destroyed the enemies.
Dec 2, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2017
At the beginning of the show I just wanted Phos to become more stronger, now that he/she is, im issed the old quirky Phos. But I can't complain too much since now Phos has literally became OP, so there's that...
Dec 2, 2017 3:35 PM

Nov 2014
This was and still is my favorite part of the post-winter arc. Also, that scene at the beginning still looks so badass even after reading that part of the manga so many times. Always loved the change Phos exhibits after Antarc is taken.

It's a shame they didn't change the intro song. It doesn't really suit the post-winter arc.
Dec 2, 2017 3:56 PM
Mar 2015
The new Phos may be badass but she has super annoying fangirls
Dec 2, 2017 4:00 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
I knew that many viewers would be shocked with Phos' metamorphosis this week, but I'm a little surprised so many people are saying they miss the old Phos. My interpretation is that Phos fundamentally hasn't changed quite as much as it seems in this episode. There are moments, in fact, when the old personality still shines through. It's more of a change in behavior and mood (which is temporary) than in personality (very deeply rooted and what defines us as individuals).

A combination of sleep deprivation/starvation (light = nutrition), depression, guilt, and hypervigilance probably caused by PTSD (seeing Antarc being shattered and taken) all add up to really flatten Phos' mood and behavior. The guilt especially is driving him to work more diligently — even overwork, from Sensei's point of view. I haven't read much farther in the manga yet (another 8 chapters), so I can't say with any certainty (and wouldn't if I could), but my guess is that when Phos starts to feel less depressed and deal with the feelings of guilt, a fraction of the old personality will reemerge. He won't be exactly like he used to be, but somewhere between the old and the new. Which would probably be where he should be, actually.

Other thoughts: I'm glad to see they expanded the first 1/4 of the episode a bit more than was given in the manga. That really added more depth than I got out of reading this chapter, and although it was a minute or two of original content, it fit in very well.

Smudy said:
That Cinnabar line though...i knew she would forget, FUCK! I wonder how they will continue this plotline now.

I wasn't quite sure when I read this chapter of the manga, but it's clearer in the anime: In the awakening scene, Phos asks Rutile who Cinna is, but then later when running into Cinna, Phos mentions he is still looking for meaningful work for him, so I think it was a momentary lapse, possibly due to sleep deprivation. It also isn't (or doesn't seem to be) a major plot line, and it's very likely that it will go unanswered in the remaining episodes.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Dec 2, 2017 4:18 PM

Dec 2016
Damn I don't know how to feel about new serious and depressed Phos, but her character development over the series has been depressing, but truly great.

Also what happened to Phos' legs in the second half of the episode? Unless I missed something, the black spirals completely disappeared for no reason. Production error? idk
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Jun 2017
TheFreycook said:
Damn I don't know how to feel about new serious and depressed Phos, but her character development over the series has been depressing, but truly great.

Also what happened to Phos' legs in the second half of the episode? Unless I missed something, the black spirals completely disappeared for no reason. Production error? idk

They actually had a scene in this episode where she has Rutile powder over them because they were too flashy.
Dec 2, 2017 4:42 PM

Nov 2014
TheFreycook said:

Rutile put powder on his legs. It's immediately after the others run away in fear of Phos's new arms.

^ Ah, ninja'd XD
Dec 2, 2017 4:53 PM

Dec 2016
VarunaBles said:
TheFreycook said:

Rutile put powder on his legs. It's immediately after the others run away in fear of Phos's new arms.

^ Ah, ninja'd XD
Oh shit thanks, must've just zoned out during that lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 2, 2017 4:57 PM

Sep 2017
damn, phos is so different now. the old phos is more fun but is guess he can be put to more use now. i was kinda thinking that his new alloy arms can kinda be used like Cinnabar's poison.
Dec 2, 2017 5:29 PM
Nov 2017
kyoudai said:
My interpretation is that Phos fundamentally hasn't changed quite as much as it seems in this episode. There are moments, in fact, when the old personality still shines through.

This was my impression as well. Old Phos seems to shine through when telling Sensei he should let her fix his robes and when hiding under the table, for example.

Phos' behavior and demeanor were definitely concerning, but a lot of it could easily be attributed to prolonged stress and exhaustion and trying too hard to be Antarc 2.0 (after running away from the "line" she literally comments "is it even possible to be this tired?", and does so with that good ol' Phos whine).
Dec 2, 2017 5:39 PM

Nov 2014
I'm glad Phos finally changed for the better, I was getting frustrated with her constantly putting others in danger with her brattiness, if it wasn't for Sensei she would have had more than just Antarcticite on her conscience.
I really wish that we would get some progress on the Cinnabar storyline now.
Forum Signature
Dec 2, 2017 5:55 PM

Jan 2014
I'm actually sad Phos had to change, but survival of the fittest I guess. Good ep. I miss Antarct-whatever.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 2, 2017 5:55 PM
Aug 2014
MetaThPr4h said:

The sections with the other gems going crazy of curiosity were hilarious, I doubt they have seen something like this before.

They're too afraid of Cinnabar to know that she/he can do alloy morphing as well!
Dec 2, 2017 5:56 PM
Aug 2014
All that alloy not only weighs Phos down physically but emotionally as well. Welp everything comes at a cost.
Dec 2, 2017 6:16 PM
Jan 2011
Im getting some serious Claymore vibes. Could Houseki become Claymore's spiritual successor?

I know it is more of a coincidence, but the similarities are there (in a good way):
- existential themes
- characters are not human
- characters awaken to fight, but it eats away from them
- desperate fights that can not be won in the grand scheme of things = claymores set up to lose
- horror and dismemberment
- frequent near-death moments
- Abyssals (Lunarians), the organization, the history & politics of the 'continent' along with the mysteries involved
- evolving enemies (awakeneds -> Abyssals -> Abyssal Eaters -> legendary #1s)
- being hunted/exploited - both Riful and Lunarians hunt/use gems/claymores strategically
- Ventricosus/Riful look the same and are not as innocent as thoguht
- the power rankings: Moh's scale/numbers, everyone with unique ability
- the big question: gem origins/how are claymores made
- outcasts
- Phos/Clare start as the weakest and demeaned
- Phos' gold form look sometimes a lot like Clare's Awakened form
- adventures that turn out not as one would hope
- Teresa arc: winter/past, Antark/Teresa
- Antark loses cool and is massacred = certain someone vs Priscilla (ch 100)
- Phos/Clare continuously pushing herself too much, guilt and regret consuming them, forcing them to change and abandon everything else
- teammate assimilation: Phos/Clare get (legs/hands from the snail/Irene, gold/yoki-prediction from Antark/Teresa, mastering developments, everyone surprised about abillities
- big side quest: Phos/Clare saving Cinnabar/Raki
- growing up story (probably) changing into fight with Abyssals and discovering the reason to fight
- twins: Ametyst/Alice-Beth, Luciela-Rafaela, etc
- Borth (single digit) setting eyes on Phos: Galatea and Clare
Dec 2, 2017 6:35 PM

Jun 2017
chiyo-german said:
Due to the great loss of original fragments and mix of additional fragments change her personality.

Sensei mentioned the 'ancient organisms' when Phos cried. Did he mean human? The existence of the country of jewels related to the ancient history.

yes, short story human extinct and "devide" into 3 parts, bone become jewel people and live on land, flesh become snail people and live on sea (episode 4-5) and soul become moon people and live on moon
Dec 2, 2017 6:42 PM

Jul 2017
elior1 said:
they actually didn't skipped it this how was it in the manga. they went right away to how she looks like no growth phase

That still does not change the fact that they skipped writing it.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Dec 2, 2017 7:08 PM
Jul 2017
I don't know why, but I felt so much dread in this episode it almost made me cry.
Dec 2, 2017 7:15 PM
Oct 2017
it was painful to watch :( :( :(
Dec 2, 2017 7:28 PM

Jul 2016
Yesss!!! finally some serious character development being shown and I really loved it.

I was expecting this kind of personality change since the amethyst incident (almost being taken by the Lunarians) a few episodes ago... I mean, I like Phos as character and his personality is very likeable but I felt like it was kinda needed for him to mature because of all the problem he's been into. Tbh, I'd have liked this to happen a few episodes earlier but that's just my opinion.

He's now stronger than before but still fragile at the same time. It's kinda "sad" that she's now in part what he wanted to be at the beginning of the show (stronger) but at present time, he's no more 100% Phosphophyllite... Idk, I think it's interesting to see how much you have to change to achieve a certain goal.
Dec 2, 2017 7:45 PM

Sep 2013
Well Phos' change is great and everyone is enamoured by it. But luckily Bort is here to rain on the parade. I wonder if Bort will ever do anything to make me like her as a character.
Dec 2, 2017 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
Hmm... Phos didn't change quite as much as the preview last week made me think, but that really made it more relatable. It reminds me, especially the scene when Phos was reflecting on how she had always wanted to be stronger, of when I was a child and couldn't wait to grow up and be an adult. And now I am an adult, and it's not as great as I thought it would be... sure, it has its perks, but there's a lot to be tired and depressed about too. Idk, doesn't really fit with the whole PTSD part, but I think a big part of the show is how changing comes at a cost.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 2, 2017 8:19 PM

Aug 2017
My girl-bro Phos out here on that ancient warrior vibe, now. I can dig it.
Dec 2, 2017 9:09 PM

Apr 2009
Aww... Phos has finally gotten strong... and mature too. The loss of Antarcticite had a profound effect on her. It's still kinda sad overall, but at least Phos is now someone who is very capable. I'm actually liking the new Phos, even though I'll miss the perky troublemaker Phos, lol.

I'm not liking Bort at all, TBH. Never did back in earlier episodes, due to her mean streaks, and not now either since it looks like she's just up to something. Yeah, she's strong too, always has been, but... perhaps she's jealous of Phos' new power (and popularity)? The preview doesn't give me any friendly vibe from what's about to happen between the two. Hopefully Phos can kick some major buttocks, to show Bort who is the new "top warrior" in town.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Dec 2, 2017 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
Phos is strong now, but with expensive price.
Dec 2, 2017 9:31 PM

Nov 2014

^ I'm surprised nobody commented about that rocky ass. I mean, it looks great!
Dec 2, 2017 10:01 PM

Jan 2011
damn Phos really has changed but at what cost,at least it was somewhat reassuring she still had a bit of her wit left when everyone was chasing her.
Dec 2, 2017 10:30 PM

Jun 2015
A impressive and sad metamorphosis, and almost lost the memories of cinnabar.
Phos has forcing himself to mature to enmendated his mistakes, now always shows the facet he did not make public (which is noted for example in episode 4) beyond being the funny of group.
Now Bort, i don't know if is jealous or what, but I'm waiting for the next episode.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2017

105 by Asnwert123 »»
Sep 19, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

319 by mtsRhea »»
Sep 9, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

116 by Muow »»
Aug 30, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

112 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

149 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 4:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.