Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 23, 2017 2:01 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Mm, pretty much a prelude to the banquet ceremony.

I gotta admit though, Big Mama planned big for this and there's a hell a lot of interesting guests that came. The question will be which side will get the last laugh.
Mar 23, 2017 2:09 AM

Dec 2012
These guests showing up seem interesting.

DAMN Katakuri looks badass & he can see into the future.
Holy shit 1,057,000,000 belli bounty.
Santoryu_XBurnerMar 23, 2017 2:25 AM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 23, 2017 2:40 AM

Dec 2011
I am dreaming? No break next week .YEAH xD
Quite an interesting chapter to see all these big heads in the world and Big mom's second looks so badass with a bounty of over 1 billion.
P.s Jinbe confirms to join Straw Hats if he don't die.
kaitonicMar 23, 2017 2:58 AM
Mar 23, 2017 2:54 AM

Dec 2013
So many massive entrances!

Loving Katakuri's design. Dude definitely seems like the biggest threat to the plan.
Mar 23, 2017 2:55 AM

Sep 2016
wow katakuri looks so badass. i hope we will see him around even after this arc

still hoping someone from the past is in this party :)
Mar 23, 2017 3:01 AM

Jan 2017
nice prequel chapter for the wedding

Katakuri's character is just straight up badass and 1,057,000,000 belli bounty ... HOLY CRAP

and NO BREAK NEXT WEEK!!! .... YES! YES! YES!

Mar 23, 2017 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, so many huge faces at this wedding.

1 billion 57 million bounty on Dogstorm, Holy shit! Seems he even has premonition powers due to the level of his Observation Haki. :o

I so looking forward to Luffy making his super cool entrance now. XD
Mar 23, 2017 3:32 AM

Aug 2010
Katakuri looks fuckin dope. One of the most BA designs in the series. And Dat Haki. He's probably on some Eneru lvl. GG to the plan.

Love how the chief of news is a bird like the birds that send news everywhere
Barion-ZaraMar 23, 2017 3:37 AM
Mar 23, 2017 3:47 AM

Jun 2011
Jesus Christ that Katakuri design, I am looking at this page, thinking Toei will definitely screw up this scene, making Katakuri look like 16 yo teen with added vibrant color.

Legit most probably Oda's best character design since the time skip.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 23, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2015
that predicting stuff is so joseph joestar

inb4 jellybean hamon shit
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Mar 23, 2017 4:04 AM

Nov 2016
Badass design check.
Highest bounty check.
Strongest Kenbunshoku check.

So far Katakuri seems very promising.
Since he is specialized on the OH, I would welcome a fight between him and Sanji.
Oda stated once in a FPS that Sanji has focused on this kind of Haki as well.
A victory over a sweet commander would definitely improve his reputation, which suffered since entering the new world.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 23, 2017 4:06 AM

Mar 2015
dat masive introduction!

also jinbe triggering death flag, which i hope it false...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 23, 2017 4:09 AM

Sep 2015
Perhaps Dogtooth is a reference to JoJo heheh. Interesting haki, cool design.
can dis sig fit
Mar 23, 2017 4:40 AM
May 2014
This chapter was overwhelming; so many new faces! Fantastic chapter, so many double pages, and best of all.. No break next week!

The big bird said that he and the Germa go way back.. What if he got them to clone himself, and that would be where all the News Koos come from? I mean.. They all look the same lol.
Mar 23, 2017 5:06 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Very impressive prelude chapter to the banquet especially the introduction of these new characters from the Underworld and, of course, probably the coolest character design I've seen yet in One Piece! What a massive bounty and it's slightly higher than Jack's bounty. xD Second son of the Charlotte Family is a complete badass, and he's also the biggest threat to the Big Mom assassination plan if he can foresee a bit in the future.

Still really looking forward to Luffy's entrance in the Tea Party which he seems to be very proud of. xD
Mar 23, 2017 5:11 AM

Feb 2017
Katakuri looks pretty sick, and kills people by throwing jellybeans!

ToG25thBaam said:
Jesus Christ that Katakuri design, I am looking at this page, thinking Toei will definitely screw up this scene, making Katakuri look like 16 yo teen with added vibrant color.

Bahaha I must admit I had a similar thoughts afterwards!

Interesting to see how his specialty is kenbunshoku, haven't seen many characters who favor that style so heavily. Really hope we get to explore this aspect more.
Mar 23, 2017 5:35 AM

Mar 2015
Damn Big Mom looks scary in that last panel, then again, she's always been scary.

But the biggest surprise has got to be Katakuri with 1 billion and 57 million berry reward. I mean what's with that? That means his bounty surpassed Jack, who is one of three right hand of Kaido's right? Although there's a high chance that the other two would beat Katakuri's bounty and strength, because of the usual manga trope where enemies gets stronger with more chapters.

Mar 23, 2017 5:37 AM
Oct 2013
G_Spark233 said:
So many massive entrances!

Loving Katakuri's design. Dude definitely seems like the biggest threat to the plan.

Agreed with Katakuri. Best design since Kaido. Though. Who are those guys?
We know none of them and they probably won´t be interesting or important past this arc.

It showed some names. What do those names entail? Some assholes that controll the underworld or have important businesses we won´t ever get the details too. None of those assholes are important aside from their professions.
Their only purpose was to showcase the political power of Big Mom.
Although she isn´t royal. She achieved political power great enough to have other industrial or criminal leaders jump at her whim. But how did she get there? Through brute force.

This is unnecessary. We knew she was controlling a fucking quarter of the New world! This the equivalent of controlling a an 8th of the Pacific Ocean and everything in it, if the Pacific Ocean was filled with islands, and kingdoms.
We also knew through the Jeff threat that her influence transcends the borders of the Grand line as a whole.

What´s the purpose of this chapter? To me it comes off as if Oda desperately wants to pay homage to The Godfather, specifically the marriage scene, in the beginning, where it´s revealead that Don Corleone has power over politicians on Senator level and makes deals with global business tycoons.

Here´s the problem why this doesn´t work with Big Mom and turns into needless filler. Don Corleone was a charismatic, smart, family loving, composed, scheming, vengeful, survialist that went from rags to riches by following the biblical phylosophy of an eye for an eye. Half of those traits, we only learned about in his childhood flashback arc, in the secodn Movie. How does Oda intend, to squeeze in a whole backstory arc for Big Mom? Big Mom on the other hand is a boring giant baby, that throws temper tantrums whenever she doesn´t get what she wants, whose only talent is brute strength, which she achieved her power with. Nothing about her or her methods is smart or intriguing, or interesting.
She´s the equivalent of an evil, fat female version of Luffy.
But we already have that in Blackbeard aside from the female part. She´s getting more boring by the chapter, because we get repeated information we already knew about her.

3/5 chapter aside from Katakuri it did barely anything for me. The worldbuilding was there. The potential to do something with it is there. But how? And why? This isn´t a Novel to explore all those characters it´d take another 50 chapters of sidestory. Oda isn´t gonna do any of that. Pointless worldbuilding.
IsterioMar 23, 2017 5:48 AM
Mar 23, 2017 5:46 AM
Sep 2012
So now we know why Jinbe take part in that wheel game, it is for his crew. Jinbe is going to be a Strawhat even if just for a day. Though something that has been on my mind, does Jinbe know about Koala joining the Revolutionary army, and Black Beard's attack, I think if he knew that would be weighing heavily on his mind.

So for a most un eventful setup, just setup for the wedding, and the Germa as such idiots, how could they be so clueless that they are plotting to kill them. Either they die or Sanji saves them and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives, either way it is good for me.

Now than, I thought for sure end of the chapter they would announce next week One Piece is on a break, so we get a chapter next week, how nice.
Mar 23, 2017 6:57 AM

Jan 2016
Great pre wedding chapter. So many new faces and the designs are on point!

Best thing about todays chapter was probably the fact that there is no break next week
Mar 23, 2017 8:22 AM

Apr 2014
The guy with the high bounty is really scary. And I suppose his strength is the real deal then. I mean to see the future a bit. Dude. I wonder if this assassination is really going to go well. He be shooting jelly beans at you and kill you before you can act. O_o
Mar 23, 2017 8:46 AM

Oct 2015
Nice, the wedding ceremony starts next week, and I'm sure we'll finally see how their plan will work out.

This Katakuri looks badass. He could shoot sanji with a jellybean with ease, if Big Mom planned it like that.

I wonder how they are going to go according to plan, if there's someone with such a powerful haki.
By the way, where is Cracker? He's in coma, he will not try to fight again?
Mar 23, 2017 8:59 AM

Jul 2015
tkrisz2 said:
Nice, the wedding ceremony starts next week, and I'm sure we'll finally see how their plan will work out.

This Katakuri looks badass. He could shoot sanji with a jellybean with ease, if Big Mom planned it like that.

I wonder how they are going to go according to plan, if there's someone with such a powerful haki.
By the way, where is Cracker? He's in coma, he will not try to fight again?

i doubt cracker will come back. it would make the whole luffy fight meaningless.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 23, 2017 9:49 AM

Oct 2015
Galaxy__ said:

i doubt cracker will come back. it would make the whole luffy fight meaningless.

Yeah, I think so too. But sometimes I just find it really weird when someone who isn't the main opponent gets beaten, they're never dead, but we never see them fighting again, meanwhile if Luffy or someone gets seriously beaten up, they can get ready for the next fight in just hours.
Mar 23, 2017 10:08 AM

Jun 2014
A lot of interesting new characters showing up in this chapter, but I feel like none of them will really be that significant after this arc. Katakuri looks badass though, and that bounty is crazy. He can see into the future a little, which sounds like it'll be detrimental to the Big Mom assassination plan.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 23, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2015
tkrisz2 said:
Galaxy__ said:

Yeah, I think so too. But sometimes I just find it really weird when someone who isn't the main opponent gets beaten, they're never dead, but we never see them fighting again, meanwhile if Luffy or someone gets seriously beaten up, they can get ready for the next fight in just hours.

thats called "shonen"
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 23, 2017 10:39 AM

Dec 2009
Getting to see Crocodile in the opening panel was nice lol

Pretty good chapter, I feel like this is going to be a really long arc for some reason.. just so many people in this one.
Mar 23, 2017 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
Vongola said:

Pretty good chapter, I feel like this is going to be a really long arc for some reason.. just so many people in this one.

It has been confirmed that it's a shorter arc. It's going to end in a few months.
Mar 23, 2017 11:31 AM

Sep 2014
A bit tiresome chapter to read imho. Too many new characters entered the stage but I don't really care for them. Please Oda don't pull another Dressrosa with a lot of minor new characters. That Katakuri guy though looked quite badass and his bounty is something else. About the Jinbe part if this wasn't One Piece it would raise major death flags. The wedding is starting! Cannot wait for Luffy's epic entrance.
Mar 23, 2017 1:03 PM
Mar 2016
tkrisz2 said:
Vongola said:

It has been confirmed that it's a shorter arc. It's going to end in a few months.

Yeah, there are probably about 12-15 chapters to go. I think we were on chapter 848 when it was announced that we were on the halfway point of the arc. I think it was Oda's editor who stated that if I'm right.
Mar 23, 2017 2:41 PM
Apr 2016
My man Crocoboy in the cover page. How long has it been already? Man, I'm pretty sure Katakuri has the highest known bounty in One Piece currently. No break next week, YESSS. Can't wait to see how its all going to play out.
Mar 23, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2016
Nice to know what really happened with Jinbe back there with that wheel game
Mar 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Mar 2014
Crocodile ain't gonna turn into sand today.

I hope Jinbei doesn't die in this arc.
Mar 23, 2017 3:54 PM

Sep 2013
Katakuri is alright, clearly joseph joestar inspired XD

Out of the guests big bird will be the most important, I can see luffy's group striking a deal with him to print a fake news.
Mar 23, 2017 4:03 PM

Jul 2014
Big red flag in this chapter.
Mar 23, 2017 4:30 PM

Nov 2012
So now that Katakuri shows that Observation Haki can be used to sense the future, does anyone think that maybe Madame Shyarly's clairvoyance could be seen as a highly advanced form of what Katakuri did this chapter?
Mar 23, 2017 5:26 PM

Mar 2016
Holy shit Katakuri looks so badass ! I can't wait to see him in action.

At last the tea party begins. And no break next week.
Mar 23, 2017 6:38 PM

Nov 2015
Katakuri looks badass. The party looks pretty bright though.

Mar 23, 2017 7:57 PM

Dec 2014
meh important guest have arrived.... Jinbei may end up joining the strawhats at the end of the ark..... and I liked Mama's Second son so much
Mar 23, 2017 11:39 PM

Mar 2016
That was an amazing chapter.

Jimbe's the man. Loyal af. If that wasn't a confirmation of him being a SH, I don't know what is xD As much as that felt like a death flag on him, I highly doubt he's going to die. I felt that it is more of his dedication to Luffy more than anything. After losing Ace, losing Jinbe, the guy who helped him get back on his feet? There's only so much loss and suffering Luffy can take :'(

The introduction of the Underworld characters was great as well :D
Queen of Pleasure Quarter, Stuccy. I love her already xD It was great to see the president of the world Economic times, Morgan as well. Since he has a history with the Vinsmokes I really don't think he's gonna sit silently to watch them die.

Everything about Katakuri = BADASS. Highest bounty so far. Mastery of CoO, Badass design, Shoots Jelly beans. THIS MAN IS HYPE. Kinda looks like an older brother of Law hahah.
His CoO ability tho. He can actually look into the future? That is some OP level shit. Something Capone could have mentioned maybe? How the fuck can the plan succeed when they have someone with such an ability? Especially when their chances of succeeding was pretty bad to begin with xD

Side note- Something Sawyer7mage thought of, maybe Luffy will one day get this ability based on what happened in Marineford when he was facing off against Mihawk. He saw his hands getting cut off for a brief moment. He could have just predicted that to happen but something to think about I guess, so thought I'd bring it up ^^

No break next week. I cant wait for the next chapter. This was one of the best chapters of this arc. Loved the setup for the party. Absolutely can't wait for assassination plans to unfold from both sides. Oh and Luffy's funny entrance as well xD
RyunuosukeMar 23, 2017 11:59 PM

Mar 24, 2017 2:35 AM

Oct 2011
It's funny how this far in the arc, right before the wedding, Oda conveniently introduces a completely OP character which will probably play a huge part. Will be interesting to see if Katakuri messes up Luffy's secret entrance and the overall plan.
Mar 24, 2017 2:55 PM
Feb 2016
The HYPE is real for the Next week. Can't wait to see what Luffy does to make his flashy entrance at the wedding ceremony :D :D
TachyaoinDec 3, 2019 3:03 PM
Mar 24, 2017 4:56 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, Katakuri looks hard-core! Definitely one of the coolest designs in this arc. Funny how such a scary-looking guy uses jellybeans for ammo. Haha.
Nei-sanMar 24, 2017 5:02 PM
Mar 24, 2017 8:19 PM

May 2015
You're going to say..is that a Jojo reference?
Isterio said:

Agreed with Katakuri. Best design since Kaido. Though. Who are those guys?
We know none of them and they probably won´t be interesting or important past this arc.

It showed some names. What do those names entail? Some assholes that controll the underworld or have important businesses we won´t ever get the details too. None of those assholes are important aside from their professions.
Their only purpose was to showcase the political power of Big Mom.
Although she isn´t royal. She achieved political power great enough to have other industrial or criminal leaders jump at her whim. But how did she get there? Through brute force.

What´s the purpose of this chapter? To me it comes off as if Oda desperately wants to pay homage to The Godfather, specifically the marriage scene, in the beginning, where it´s revealead that Don Corleone has power over politicians on Senator level and makes deals with global business tycoons.

Here´s the problem why this doesn´t work with Big Mom and turns into needless filler. Don Corleone was a charismatic, smart, family loving, composed, scheming, vengeful, survialist that went from rags to riches by following the biblical phylosophy of an eye for an eye. Half of those traits, we only learned about in his childhood flashback arc, in the secodn Movie. How does Oda intend, to squeeze in a whole backstory arc for Big Mom? Big Mom on the other hand is a boring giant baby, that throws temper tantrums whenever she doesn´t get what she wants, whose only talent is brute strength, which she achieved her power with. Nothing about her or her methods is smart or intriguing, or interesting.
She´s the equivalent of an evil, fat female version of Luffy.
But we already have that in Blackbeard aside from the female part. She´s getting more boring by the chapter, because we get repeated information we already knew about her.

3/5 chapter aside from Katakuri it did barely anything for me. The worldbuilding was there. The potential to do something with it is there. But how? And why? This isn´t a Novel to explore all those characters it´d take another 50 chapters of sidestory. Oda isn´t gonna do any of that. Pointless worldbuilding.

Oda has a good track record of giving importance to the characters he introduces.

The four members of the Riku family and Kyros were at the center of Dressrosa. The Fighting Bulls were dealt with. All fifteen of Mingo's "family" were defeated, one becoming an ally (Baby 5). Almost an ENTIRE BLOCK of characters for the tournament were not only introduced, but fleshed out with distinct personalities. Some of them were made extremely relevant at the end of the arc with the alliance.

Now, of course, that's because the arc was 100 chapters, but almost every little detail of the arc had relevance. Oda' track record with these sort of things is what he does best.

edit: except Rebecca maybe.. Rebecca development was kinda let down near the end there. But it's whatever.

This is unnecessary. We knew she was controlling a fucking quarter of the New world! This the equivalent of controlling a an 8th of the Pacific Ocean and everything in it, if the Pacific Ocean was filled with islands, and kingdoms.
We also knew through the Jeff threat that her influence transcends the borders of the Grand line as a whole.

This is a comic book, show don't tell. If you're gonna imply someone's importance, especially as one of the four strongest people in the world, you'd better damn deliver. This tea party has been built up since the end of Fishman Island, you can't hold back.
ashfrliebertMar 24, 2017 8:32 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Mar 25, 2017 4:43 AM
Oct 2013
ashfrliebert said:
You're going to say..is that a Jojo reference?

Not at all, I personally didn´t even notice it till others pointed it out, but even if, it´s a good reference to one of the coolest characters in Shounen Manga, while keeping his own character distinctive. Joseph is a mischievous hero Katakuri is an evil villain.

Oda has a good track record of giving importance to the characters he introduces.

The four members of the Riku family and Kyros were at the center of Dressrosa. The Fighting Bulls were dealt with. All fifteen of Mingo's "family" were defeated, one becoming an ally (Baby 5). Almost an ENTIRE BLOCK of characters for the tournament were not only introduced, but fleshed out with distinct personalities. Some of them were made extremely relevant at the end of the arc with the alliance.

First, you claim here how the Riku family was at the center of attention but later deny Rebecca´s development. What is it? If she was the center of attention why was her development a let down? Because none of them changed. Riku had no character changes Kyros had none in the present and Viola had none. All of them remained the same characters they were introduced as. Only Kyros in his flashback and ironically Scarlet. The dead one went though a richer character arc than the other 3 living Riku family members. Kyros went from being a rampaging vengeful murderer to a beloved gladiator, to being a remorseful family father. Scarlet went from genuinely hating Kyros to to a loving wife. And no, she wasn´t tsundere she honestly beared disgust for his crimes. Nonetheless this story was told in the span of 1 1/2 chapters incredibly rushed and lacked any details, like the Corazon backstory for example had.
Yes, it´s true that he encorperated and "almost an entire block" But he also introduced 4 blocks with meaningless filler characters that had names given to them just to be oneshot. Like did you ever care about the guy that steals weapons or the jacket brothers? And as far as the Strawhat Navy goes. We haven´t seen the role they´re supposed to play yet. He may just shove them to the sidelines and make all of them do something off screen. Currently all of them are nothing more than a named number.
ashfrliebert said:

Now, of course, that's because the arc was 100 chapters, but almost every little detail of the arc had relevance. Oda' track record with these sort of things is what he does best.

edit: except Rebecca maybe.. Rebecca development was kinda let down near the end there. But it's whatever.

This arc has probably 10 chapters left. Where is he going to give all of those guys a relevant role? If they´re going to follow over into the next arcs, when are they going to get their roles? The Yonkou are supposed to be the focus of this arc. Will those guys play a subrole? I just think Oda bit more off than he could chew here.
One Piece has to end eventually and to properly write those guys in detail he´d need a whole arc for. Except they just get glossed over, which defeats the purpose of introducing them in the first place.

ashfrliebert said:

This is a comic book, show don't tell. If you're gonna imply someone's importance, especially as one of the four strongest people in the world, you'd better damn deliver. This tea party has been built up since the end of Fishman Island, you can't hold back.

And you think that introducing 5 of those "monuments" of power we know nothing about just to most likely kill them off in one of Big Mom´s temper tantrums is a proper display of political might?

I mean what´s the point? If she can go to to toe with Whitebeard who had the potential to destroy the whole world by himself and explicitly been stated to control the weather. How does that add anything to her character? Her methods simply consist of follow my orders or die. It´s primitive outright anamalistic. Not as complicated as Oda tries to sell it to us. In the real world or fiction with realistic worldbuilding politics do matter. As you said it´s a comic book but
One Piece also operates on cartoon logic. What´s the point of introducing worldbuilding that gets overwritten by the cartoon logic?
Mar 25, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2012
I'm really hoping Luffy's entrance is
I want to see the look on her face lol.
Mar 25, 2017 1:56 PM

May 2015
Isterio said:

First, you claim here how the Riku family was at the center of attention but later deny Rebecca´s development. What is it? If she was the center of attention why was her development a let down?

She was given a due amount of importance in the arc and the situation and was extremely important in the arc. She was the crux of the arc, Kyros was the crux of the arc and the story *progressed* with them. That alone makes them not useless characters. Maybe she wasn't the *best* of character and her development was disappointing, but Oda didn't introduce her and then make her completely sidelined throughout.

Rebecca is....an exception! Because uh...she was built a whole lot and given alot of focus and at the end managed to do absolutely nothing. I'll concede there, Oda kinda dropped the ball with Rebecca. But at the same time she wasn't introduced to be like..off-screened our something, she had a purpose in the arc one way or the other.
Yes, it´s true that he encorperated and "almost an entire block" But he also introduced 4 blocks with meaningless filler characters that had names given to them just to be oneshot. Like did you ever care about the guy that steals weapons or the jacket brothers?

That was something like 40 characters. This here is five. This makes it much easier to not make them useless.

Well..if they aren't given even the remotest amount of focus through the entire series, I'll be sure to say I'm wrong. But..

And as far as the Strawhat Navy goes. We haven´t seen the role they´re supposed to play yet. He may just shove them to the sidelines and make all of them do something off screen. Currently all of them are nothing more than a named number.

Their defined characters with distinct personalities, he literally said "these guys will be a part of something big". They played significant roles in the very arc they were introduced, even.

Where is he going to give all of those guys a relevant role? If they´re going to follow over into the next arcs, when are they going to get their roles?
The Yonkou are supposed to be the focus of this arc. Will those guys play a subrole? I just think Oda bit more off than he could chew here.

This is Big Mom's tea party, they are underworld characters..they are already playing a subrole right now..to the main focus - Big Mom. A yonkou.

One Piece has to end eventually

It took 61 volumes and 13 years for this series to even kick off it's ending stage. If that's any indication, eventually and "soon" aren't the same thing by Oda's logic.

and to properly write those guys in detail he´d need a whole arc for

And again, considering the extreme length of this series, Oda has shown he is more than willing to do that.

Except they just get glossed over, which defeats the purpose of introducing them in the first place.

Whether or not they are actually good characters remain to be seen, sure Oda has his fair share of bad ones. Helmeppo, Hody, Alvina, Cody(bad..uh maybe, doesn't really do much in the story, I liked that time Luffy punched him), Rebecca. But out of those only Helmeppo has been basically a background character. As Dressrosa show, an excess of characters can have negative effects, but if their a named character given due focus..their usually important in the story eventually.

Besides, this chapter serves enough purpose as build up for the tea party. Hey, if Oda drops the ball big time and their off-screened our something I'll be the first to say I'm wrong here, too.

Speaking of dropping the ball, Oda better make Sanji do something good. "The Year of Sanji failing miserably" has been sad.

tkrisz2 said:
Galaxy__ said:

Luffy has the powerful ability of "being the main character" with him. Well, Gambino, Mr. 2 Bon Kurei, Crocodile and Buggy returned in Impel Down. Smoker also got attacked by Mingo, but he's probably gonna appear again because he's Smoker.

Besides Smoker though, they can hardly be counted as main opponents by the point they re-appeared and Gambino's purposes in both his re-apperances was so he could be a plot device to create a key.
ashfrliebertMar 25, 2017 2:13 PM
Mar 25, 2017 2:52 PM
Oct 2013
ashfrliebert said:

She was given a due amount of importance in the arc and the situation and was extremely important in the arc. She was the crux of the arc, Kyros was the crux of the arc and the story *progressed* with them. That alone makes them not useless characters. Maybe she wasn't the *best* of character and her development was disappointing, but Oda didn't introduce her and then make her completely sidelined throughout.

Rebecca is....an exception! Because uh...she was built a whole lot and given alot of focus and at the end managed to do absolutely nothing. I'll concede there, Oda kinda dropped the ball with Rebecca. But at the same time she wasn't introduced to be like..off-screened our something, she had a purpose in the arc one way or the other.

The Rebecca part was a rhetorical question. I answer with the same conclusion you reach. Personally I didn´t harbor any particular hate for her since I didn´t expect anything and I also don´t think that she´s a mysogenistic character as many love to point out, simply because of her age. She is 16 and was somewhat of a sheltered child. I do agree though that she was a boring character that took up more space than required for her development a fate she shared with the Tontatta. Let´s just agree that she was fine but should have had way less screentime.

ashfrliebert said:

That was something like 40 characters. This here is five. This makes it much easier to not make them useless.

Well this is true, but it´s not the quantity that worries me but rather their position. Whole Cake island is an arc with too much ambition as it is, adding further subplots to it is detrimental towards pacing of main plot.

ashfrliebert said:

Well..if they aren't given even the remotest amount of focus through the entire series, I'll be sure to say I'm wrong. But..

Let´s just say that we have to wait and see, but Dressrosa was underwhelming for what it promised to be and I get the same vibes here. Oda developed a bad habit of promising alot post timeskip and not delivering due to bad scheduling.

ashfrliebert said:

Their defined characters with distinct personalities, he literally said "these guys will be a part of something big". They played significant roles in the very arc they were introduced, even.

A handful of them are defined characters, like Barto and Cabbage. I´d give the Hajruidin a few points because we know that he has a dream. But what do we know about Ideo or Blue Gilly? Orlumbus? Sai´s Brother? You may argue that they are tied too the other guys and we should be glad that we got anything out of them, but he still used all that time to give us their names and he could pull an Akainu vs Aokiji with them anytime. Would you be content with that?
I was fine not knowing who Mr 6 of Baroque works was, but Oda didn´t waste Panel time on him or even give us his name.

ashfrliebert said:

This is Big Mom's tea party, they are underworld characters..they are already playing a subrole right now..to the main focus - Big Mom. A yonkou.

Which is why I pointed out that their professions are the only relevant info to us currently. Here is a solution that´d have the same effect without wasting several panels on their introductions. Various people from around the world *name professions* entered the scene to attend Big Mom´s teaparty. That way it´d serve the purpose without creating any expectations towrds those guys.

ashfrliebert said:

It took 61 volumes and 13 years for this series to even kick off it's ending stage. If that's any indication, eventually and "soon" aren't the same thing by Oda's logic

We are 860 chapters into the story out of probably 1200 since the halfwaypoint is 600 there are only 1200-860= 340 chapters left. He cannot write arcs like Dressrosa anymore where everyone keeps dicking around for pages. The series may be around for another decade, but if he wants the finale to let "Marineford look like childsplay" he better hurry up, because no one is going to like a final arc that´s not a grand spectacle. (Again Oda promising alot).

ashfrliebert said:

And again, considering the extreme length of this series, Oda has shown he is more than willing to do that.

He can be willing as he likes, setting the Yonkou Arc aside to explore the characters of some random assholes we just introduced is a bummer.
I wouldn´t like a sidequest and I guess many others would agree that it´s enough with the introductions, he just has to deliver what he promised for once instead of sidetrack yet again.

ashfrliebert said:

Whether or not they are actually good characters remain to be seen, sure Oda has his fair share of bad ones. Helmeppo, Hody, Alvina, Cody(bad..uh maybe, doesn't really do much in the story, I liked that time Luffy punched him), Rebecca. But out of those only Helmeppo has been basically a background character. As Dressrosa show, an excess of characters can have negative effects, but if their a named character given due focus..their usually important in the story eventually.

Besides, this chapter serves enough purpose as build up for the tea party. Hey, if Oda drops the ball big time and their off-screened our something I'll be the first to say I'm wrong here, too.

Speaking of dropping the ball, Oda better make Sanji do something good. "The Year of Sanji failing miserably" has been sad.

There are more bad characters than just those and as far as backround characters go, I´d put Alvida definately into that list and the whole of Buggy´s crew, but that doesn´t matter since Buggy is what makes up for them. However I´d put Spandam on top of that list, what makes him even worse is that he came back and definately Bellamy. Like who cares about this guy. He should be 6 feet under.
His return was one of the most bullshit moments in the story and yet again it´s post fucking timeskip.

On your last point. I am not a Sanji fanboy, but I´ve gotta admit that although his pride and coolness have been hurt alot recently, he did receive alot of character development which I did like. Year od Sanji didn´t necesarilly mean that it´d be showcasing his cool sides. I liked his development unlike everything else he had post timeskip I felt for the first time that him getting beaten down served a purpose.
Mar 26, 2017 1:55 PM

Jun 2015
These bounties are starting to get DBZ power level ridiculous.
Mar 26, 2017 4:36 PM

May 2015
TrashDax said:
These bounties are starting to get DBZ power level ridiculous.

Well the four highest bounties (and they are the highest by great margins) we've seen so far were from people who are second in commands to the strongest people in the world. Jack, Cracker, Smootie and now Katakuri.

It dwarfs minions like Bobbins, Pekmons and Tamago and it should be expected to. This is the biggest game One Piece's world gets.

Besides, Chopper's bounty is 50 and eight y/o Robin's bounty was 80 million, it's never been a power level indicator.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1118 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Yesterday

11 by ShokatAli »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1117 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jun 11

61 by landofthekwt »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 95 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 1, 2009

28 by Zowabo »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 77 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 22, 2010

18 by Zowabo »»
Yesterday, 4:27 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 68 Discussion

ToxxicTeardrop - Aug 22, 2010

24 by Zowabo »»
Jun 17, 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.